Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
In the middle of the night Severus woke to an ear shattering scream coming from the room next to him. In a second, he was out of his bed with his wand in hand. In the next moment, he was running out of his bedroom and into Harry's to see what was wrong….
The Ministry
In the middle of the night Severus woke to an ear shattering scream coming from the room next to him. In a second, he was out of his bed with his wand in hand. In the next moment, he was running out of his bedroom and into Harry's to see what was wrong.

As soon as Severus burst through the door and saw that there were no intruders he lowered his wand and went over to Harry who was still in his bed, screaming. Freeing the boy from the tangled covers, he lifted him up into his arms and then sat down on the bed. Gently, Severus rocked the child back and forth trying to soothe him out of his nightmare.

"Come on. Wake up Harry. You're safe here at Hogwarts; nobody here will ever hurt you."

With a few more soothing mumbles and rocking from Severus, the child slowly began to wake. When Harry's eyes finally opened, he buried his head into Severus's chest and started to sob.

"Hey now, everything is ok. It was just a nightmare."

The sobbing died down a bit and Harry looked up at Severus with tear filled eyes. Severus gently stroked the child's hair away from his face.

"Do you know where you are Harry?"

"Hogwarts?"

"Very good Harry. Do you want to talk about what your nightmare was about?"

Violently, Harry shook his head and Severus let out a small sigh. He should have known that it was not going to be that easy. So Severus softly began to pry a bit more.

"I know it hurts Harry to remember and talk about it right now, but I promise you will feel better afterword."

"Please."

Severus silently summoned up a warm wet washcloth and gently wiped the tears away from Harry's face.

"You can tell me anything Harry. Come on, please talk to me."

It was the please that did it for Harry. No one had ever asked him to do anything before, just demanded him to do things.

"I . . . I dreamt about . . . about when my Aunt took me to the doctor . . ."

As Harry trailed off Severus readjusted the child so that his head was now resting on Severus's shoulder.

"How old were you Harry? Was that the only time she took you to see a medical professional?"

Harry moved his head up and down against Severus's shoulder. "I was five, and the school said I had to have a physical."

"Go on Harry."

"I . . . I saw the man in the white coat give my Aunt some money, and then she . . . she left the room. She left me alone with him."

Severus continued to rub the boy's back soothingly, but he looked down at the boy in shock. So someone had done something in that manner. Shit.

"What happened in the office Harry? After your Aunt left?"

"He . . . he said he was just doing a normal physical and . . . and although I never had a physical before . . . I knew . . . I knew."

Harry the began to sob into Severus's shoulder again. Severus gently wrapped both arms around the child and whispered soothing words into the boy's ear while rocking him.

"I'm . . . I'm . . . s . . . sorry!"

"Shhh, it's ok Harry. You can cry as long as you need to, there is no need to be sorry."

Nodding slowly against Severus's shoulder Harry continued to sob out his heart. When he seemed to calm down a bit Severus gently tried to get Harry to tell him more. Severus really hated making him relive all the pain this small child had faced, but talking was the only way to overcome something this awful.

"Can you tell me what he did Harry?"

"I...I can't."

That was Severus's cue to back off, and he did. He knew that they would eventually have to talk about what had happened, but not now. Harry was almost hyperventilating and shaking.

"Ok Harry, we don't have to talk about it right now, we will have to at some point though."

Almost immediately Harry seemed to calm down and Severus tried to continue. "I know I just said we will not talk about what happened, and we will not, but I want you to know something. I want you to know that no one will ever hurt you like that again, not I, Don, or any of the other teachers here. That is my promise, and I do not make promises I cannot keep."

Against Severus's shoulder Harry nodded a bit and the shaking slowly stopped. Casting a silent tempus charm Severus saw that it was almost two in the morning, and Harry should try to get at least a bit more rest.

"Do you think you can sleep a bit more Harry?"

Severus was answered with a wide yawn from a sleepy child and Severus gave one of his small half smiles while he turned placing the boy on the bed. Gently Severus pulled the covers up so that they were beneath the boy's chin.

"Now remember Harry, I am right next door. If you need, anything at all do not hesitate to come and get me."

Before the boy could answer though, sleep overtook his body and he was snoring before Severus got up from his spot on the boy's bed. Looking down at the child Severus sadly sighed and used the still warm washcloth to clean off the rest of the tear stains on the boy's face.

So much hurt and pain in such a small child. How could anyone hurt someone so young and innocent was beyond him. He was just a child. Relatives no matter how distant were supposed to love and care for children, not beat them, starve them, and by Merlins sake sell their bodies.

At that last thought Severus felt physically ill and he made a quiet dash to the bathroom. When he got there he emptied his stomach, not that he had much of an appetite tonight when he ate in the first place. Then, with his back against the tub and breathing heavily Severus fished out the doe pendent and called Don.

A minute later Severus heard Don floo into him chambers and then saw him as he entered the bathroom. In an instant Don was kneeling by his side still in his nightclothes.

"What's the matter Severus? Are you not well?"

Don made some motion to the mess Severus had made and Severus blushed just now realizing that he had forgotten to clear away the evidence before he had called Don. Seeing the blush as a confession of sorts Don felt Severus's forehead and when he felt nothing wrong he moved it down over Severus's stomach. Don then nodded as if in understanding and removed a potion from his pocket. He always kept an assortment of potions with him at all times; he had learned it was much better to be prepared.

Uncorking the potion Don held it to Severus's lips. "It's a stomach soother and will make you feel better Severus."

With that Severus accepted the potion from Don and swallowed it in one gulp. Almost insistently Severus felt the results of the potion and he sighed in relief.

Don let the man just breathe for a few moments, and then he asked him what he wanted to know. "What made you lose your dinner like that Severus? I have seen you come back for death eater meetings in better shape than this."

Closing his eyes for a moment Severus took a deep calming breath. Seeing his reaction Don placed a calming hand on Severus's shoulder and sent a touch of calming magic his way.

"Harry had a nightmare."

Don nodded in understanding, although he still did not understand why Severus had become this upset. "He revealed something troubling then?"

"You asked him yesterday if anyone ever touched him inappropriately?"

Again Don nodded his head. "Yes, remember when I asked you to leave the room for a moment. I thought he would be more comfortable talking with a Healer about that."

"He lied to you, more than likely he thought it was out of self-preservation. His Aunt...that woman sold him to a muggle doctor. I do not know specifics for he was too upset for that at the moment, but I know that much."

Suppressing a sigh Don sat down leaning against the tub next to Severus. "No wonder he felt uncomfortable alone with me or Poppy. He...he must have thought...oh Merlin!"

Slowly Severus nodded. "I . . . I don't know whether I can do this."

"Let me ask you something Severus. What did you do when you heard Harry having a nightmare?"

"I did what anyone would do. I held him until he calmed down and tried to have him tell me what he dreamt about."

"Not everyone would do that Severus, only someone who cares."

Severus sighed and looked down at his lap. "You really think I can help him?"

Don nodded. "I know you can. Now quit doubting yourself and go to bed!"

Severus gave Don one of his rare smiles and made a move to get up. Before he could though, Don was on his feet and was helping him up.

"Take it easy Severus and let me help you. You were just sick and you're tired."

Again, Severus blushed as Don helped the man out of the bathroom and into bed. As soon as Severus's head hit the pillow he was out cold. Don let out a smile and shook his head fondly.

"Oh Severus, I'm never going to rest with you around."

With that Don, quietly backed out of Severus's room and closed the door behind him. Seeing the door beside Severus's was open he quietly stepped in to make sure everything was ok.

What he saw was not the sleeping child Severus said he had left, but a scared looking boy sitting up in bed looking at him with wide eyes.

"Hi there Harry. Is everything ok?"

Harry gave a small nod, and Don sighed. The child was obviously afraid of him. With a sad smile Don came and sat next to Harry on the bed. Gently Don placed a hand on Harry's knee who tried to suppress a flinch and failed.

"It's ok Harry. I'm just going to give you some calming magic."

Harry gave a small nod, and Don started to try to calm the boy's nerves.

Instantly Harry felt his body relax as the magic flowed through him. Maybe this man wouldn't hurt him as the other doctor had. Snape said that he wouldn't and his heart was telling him to trust them. Could he really do that though? Could he really trust them?

"I know you have a hard time trusting people; I would too if I had undergone what you have, but know that me and Severus only have your best intentions in mind."

Don then got up and softly placed a hand on Harry's shoulder gently pushing him down onto the soft bed.

"Try to get some sleep Harry. I'll be back in the morning to see how you're doing, ok?"

Harry gave a small nod, and Don sent enough calming magic into Harry to help him fall asleep. When Harry was fully asleep, Don smiled a bit and left the room shutting the door behind him. He then proceeded to the floo and flooed home for the night.

The next morning Severus was again rudely awoken, but instead of a scared little boy who woke him it was the floo flaring to life. Quickly getting out of bed and dressing as best he could he went out to see who was calling at . . . Merlin! Six in the morning! Who would be calling this early?

Straightening his last bit of robes he read the scroll beside the fireplace and frowned a little. Madam Roloon, Social Worker.

Had Albus not done the right paperwork? Were there going to be more hoops to jump through then he had thought? He hadn't even really had time to talk to the boy yet about his guardianship. Couldn't the Ministry have given him a few days? Sighing Severus realized that they apparently could not if there were already a social worker here.

Quickly Severus opened the floo and let the woman in. When she arrived Severus gave her a warm greeting and extended his hand for her to shake. All she did though was look at his hand in disgust and sneer at him. Not a very good sign.

"What have you done with the boy?"

Severus looked at the witch with genuine confusion. "I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean."

"What have you done to harm the boy and coax him into agreeing to stay with a death eater like you? Did you torture him, threaten him?"

Dumbfounded Severus looked at the woman in shock. "I have done nothing of the sort! I think you misunderstand my intentions here. I found that his relatives were not treating him right, and I brought him here to be healed. I have not asked him whether he wants to be my ward yet, but I thought that until we can find someone better suited to the job I am better than those muggles."

"Again I ask what did you to him!"

Again, Severus just looked at the woman his anger was rising though. "You want to know what I did? Then, I'll tell you what I did. I healed his wounds and brought in help when I could not. I dried his tears after he cried on my shoulder. I woke him from a nightmare and comforted him. That is what I did. I cared for him."

The social worker narrowed her eyes when looking at Severus. "Like I believe that! Where is he? I am here on the Minister's orders to take the child back to him for further questioning to your miss-deeds and then back to his relatives for recovery and until your firing."

Severus silently sent a patronus to Albus letting him know what was happening and quickly grabbed at the pendent around his neck. He hoped Albus could stop it, but if they truly forced Harry to go to the Ministry it would be better if he had Don there with him.

In the next moment, the Headmaster was coming out of the floo with Don close behind him. Albus looked around and saw the new face. Confused he looked at Severus and saw the slight glimmer of worry in his eyes.

"What's going on my boy?"

Severus took a deep breath to try to reign in the anger he was feeling towards this woman. "This social worker had orders from the Minister to take Harry away from me and have me fired. He also wants to send Harry back to his relatives for "recovery".

Albus turned and looked at the woman. "You cannot take a child away from Hogwarts unless his family requests it, or the child in question is in need or dire medical attention. I have not had proper notification of the first and I assure you Harry does not need to be hospitalized."

Madam Roloon payed no attention to Albus though, and started to fling doors open in every direction. "What the Minister says is final. Now, I will tare this place apart looking for the boy or you will point me to him."

Albus sighed. "Will you at least let the boy's Healer accompany him? He is a bit fragile presently."

She waved her hand as it was no concern to her. "Fine then. Does that mean I do not have to continue to search?"

Sighing audibility Severus nodded. "Let me have a few moments with him and tell him what is happening and then I will bring him out."

Grimacing at Severus the social worker realized that she had no other choice. "Fine then, you have five minutes and then I'm coming after you."

Nodding Severus made his way towards Harry's room. Opening the door he was met with a scared little boy crouching in the corner with his arms over his head.

Quickly Severus came and sat next to the child drawing him into his lap and wrapping his arms around him.

"I take it you heard what that lady was saying?"

A slow nod came from his chest area and Severus let out a small sigh. "I will fight them tooth and nail Harry. If they make you go back it will only be for a short time, and Don will be with you the entire time. No one will be able to hurt you with him there, he will not let them. I promise you."

Although Harry might not trust Severus nor Don wholly they had healed him and actions always speak louder then words. Would Don change though when they got back to Privot Drive as the others had? Harry sighed into Severus arms and soaked up the last bit of comfort that was being offered guessing that he really had no choice in the matter at all. He would find out eventually.

"Are you ready Harry?"

Again, Harry gave a small nod into Severus's chest. Then, Severus gently helped the child to his feet before he got to his own.

"You should be ok to walk on that ankle, but let someone know if it starts to hurt. Ok?"

Harry nodded and looked down at his feet. Sighing softly Severus took a shoulder in each hand and knelt before the boy.

"Look at me Harry."

Slowly Harry's eyes met Severus's and Severus let a small smile grace his face. "Your relatives might never have told you this, but what I'm about to tell you is true. You are a very special boy Harry, and people care about you. I care about you. This lady might take you away today, but if you ever need me..."

Severus fished a chain with a small pendent on it out of his pocket. Harry looked at it in awe; it was beautiful similar to Severus's except the pendent looked like a small fawn.

"It's...it's beautiful."

"It's for you Harry. If you ever need me just hold it close and say Severus Snape; I will be there as soon as I can. If you ever need Don just call Healer Patterson and he will come."

"Are you sure?"

Severus nodded and unclasped the chain. He then put it around Harry's neck and clasped it again. Then, with a wave of his wand Harry found himself no longer in pajamas, but in his school robes.

"Thank you sir."

"There is no need to thank me Harry. Come on the sooner you go with this social worker, the sooner you can come back to Hogwarts."

The boy nodded and Severus got up off his knees. With a hand still on Harry's shoulders, he led the boy from his room stopping just outside so he could slip on Harry's shoes and tie them. He had hoped to ask Harry about the knots in his shoes, but now was just not the time. They had other things to worry about at the moment.

Just before the two made it into sitting room where Albus, Don, and the social worker were Severus stopped and looked down at the boy who was looking more nervous with every step.

"Calm down Harry, take a deep breath."

Harry did as he was told and took a few deep breaths. Amazingly he seemed to calm down with every breath he took.

"How does your ankle feel?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders still focusing on his breathing. Severus took a deep breath of his own.

"Don will have to take a look at it then."

Harry nodded and the two continued their trek down the hall and into the sitting room. When they arrived, Harry found himself pressed against a woman's chest. Instinctively he flinched and tried to pull back.

"What has he done to you? You poor thing, don't worry we'll get you away from here immediately."

"I . . . I . . . I'm sorry ma'am, but I don't know what you're talking about and...I...I don't want to leave..."

"Nonsense, you're stressed, let's go now."

With a look at Severus, who nodded at him Harry gave a small nod of his own. He then looked over at Don who came over and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll be with you the whole time, ok Harry?"

Closing his eyes for a moment Harry nodded. Again, this was not the most ideal situation and Harry was nervous as hell, but what could he do other than go along? So he let Don take his hand and they both followed the witch through the floo. Before he left though he looked back at Severus and saw that Albus was the only thing keeping him from following them. It was in that moment that Harry felt a pain in his heart, and he realized that although only a day had passed since Severus had discovered what was happing that he had come to depend on the man he was leaving behind.

Coming through the floo Harry fell to his knees and started to heave. A gentle hand came and started to rub his back though, and Harry's stomach slowly settled. He then felt someone kneel next to him and gently helped him stand.

"You ok now, Harry?"

Harry gave a small nod and the two slowly followed Madam Roloon through the many corridors of the ministry. A few more hallways down though Don noticed Harry was limping more than he had been earlier.

Catching up to the social worker he gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "Excuse me, but can we find somewhere to sit down? Harry here had a broken ankle, and it seems to be getting worse. I need to look at it."

"Can't it wait?"

Don rose an eyebrow. "You do realize that being a social worker means that you are supposed to keep the child's best interest and health in mind above all else?"

Dramatically she rolled her eyes. "Yes, but the Minister wants him in his office now. We are already late."

"Fine then." Don then turned around and placed a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder. "I'm going to have to carry you, I really don't want you walking on that anymore."

Harry gave a small nod and allowed Don to pick him up. Don slightly frowned when he felt how light the child was, but then he gave the boy a reassuring smile when he saw the scared look he gave him.

"It will be ok Harry. The Headmaster and Severus will get this all straightened up, and then you can go back to Hogwarts."

Harry nodded and buried his head into Don's chest as he had with Severus. He didn't really know what was happening, but Harry did know one thing. Even though this man was a doctor, he was nice and he would not hurt him. Severus had said so, and he...he trusted him?

Was this really trust he felt in his heart? He had never really trusted anyone before. Well, he had when he was little, but he had learned the hard way that it was not the smartest thing to do. These men though he knew, he didn't really know how he knew, but he knew that they wold not hurt him.

Not realizing that tears had started to flow from his eyes Harry started to wet the front of Don's robe. When he felt the wet patch Don looked down in concern.

"What's the matter Harry?"

Harry shook his head and buried his head further into Don's chest. Don sighed and sat down in the nearest chair he could find not caring what the social worker would think. Slowly Don rearranged Harry so that he was sitting sideways on his lap, to have access to the boy's ankle.

"What are you doing?"

Don looked up at the angry social worker and gave her a glare. He rarely got angry, but when he was he was a force to be reckoned with. "Harry is in pain, and I need to see to his medical needs."

"We can do that when the boy is sent back to his relatives."

"Are you seeing the same child I am? Do you see him crying in pain? Where is your compassion?"

The people in the hallway looked on with curious eyes as they passed by. Wondering what exactly was happening. Then, someone who was passing by recognized who the child was and came over immediately to kneel before the two sitting down.

"Harry, are you ok? What happened?"

Don looked curiously at the new man who was so concerned for the boy on his lap. "Do you know Harry?"

Looking up at Don Arthur Weasley nodded. "He's my son's best friend. What happened?"

"It's a long story, but at the moment he needs medical attention and this social worker will not let me tend to him."

Arthur nodded in understanding and went over to the woman who was glaring at the three of them. He then turned back to Don and Harry. "Don't worry I'll take care of her, just take care of Harry."

Don nodded and started to tend to Harry as Arthur started to ream out the social worker. First, Don rolled up Harry's pants leg and then he took off his shoe and sock. Don sighed as he saw the inflamed flesh of Harry's leg pressing up against the cast. Quickly he magicked off the cast and gently prodded the swollen limb. After feeling the ankle Don sighed again. It seemed that the boy had somehow moved the bone and re-injured it. Maybe when he had woken from his nightmare or when Severus had found in his the corner this morning?

"It looks as though you hurt your ankle again, Harry. I'll get you all fixed up again though, don't worry."

Quickly Don placed both hands on Harry's ankle and sent just enough healing magic to mend the bone again. He then ripped a piece of his own robe and wrapped it around the limb calling a hardening spell as he did so.

Harry looked up at the healer in awe tears still present in his eyes. "You...you ripped your own robe..."

"I did Harry. I have more at home, and your health is more important then my wardrobe."

"Thank you..."

"It's ok Harry. Now I'm still going to have to carry you, if we had crutches this would be a different story, but alas we do not. I don't want you to injure yourself again."

Harry gave a small nod. He actually somewhat liked the closeness although he would never admit it. No one had ever held him or carried him like that when he was small, and he felt that it was kind of making up for lost time.

Before being lifted up into Don's arms again, Harry caught a quick glance at of Arthur. He had somewhat noticed the man's presence before, but had been too focused on the pain to really recognize that it was him.

Walking over to the two who were still bickering. Well, it was more Arthur scolding the woman who had been so short with them. As soon as Arthur saw Harry come over though he stopped and gave the boy a warm smile.

"How are you feeling Harry?"

Harry turned his face into Don's chest and Don looked down to give Harry a confused glance. "Hey, hey now. Talk to me Harry, what's up?"

Mumbling softly so only Don could hear Harry tried to explain. "He...he didn't stop...the Minister from sending me back..."

Don nodded in understanding. "Don't worry Harry, he's not here to send you away. Quite the opposite he's here to help you stay with Severus."

As he was saying the last part, he looked up at Arthur to see whether he agreed and smiled when he saw a nod.

Impatiently the witch looked at the three. "Can we go now?"

Don sighed. "Lead the way."

As the three headed down the halls again Don quietly explained what had happened to Arthur. When Don had mentioned the mistreatment the Dursleys had been handing out to their nephew it took everything in Arthur to not snatch up the child himself and hug him close. All he could think was that if he had listened to the twins then maybe it would not have come to this. Merlin he felt ashamed.

Slowly the four made their way to the office they had been summoned too. Harry still in Don's arms and Arthur walking silently beside them trying to process all this new information. When they got to the Minister's office, he called them in without even looking up from his desk and started talking.

"What took you so long to get the boy from that death eater? Dumbledore has been bugging me this entire time. We're almost out of time before the old coot wins. We need to get the boy to his relatives before Dumbledore can come and take him."

The four new people in the room just stood there in shock for a moment. Immediately after the Minister looked up from his desk his face paled realizing what he had revealed to the wrong people. His face then became red with anger.

"Who are all these people? You were only supposed to bring the boy!"

Arthur stepped forward. "These people as you are calling us are here because we are concerned about the boy. Harry is not some tool you can use in politics; he is a child. A child for Merlin's sake!"

Then turning to Don Arthur continued. "I think we should go back to Hogwarts now, since the Minister was planning on endangering a child's life. I believe the aurers will be hearing about this."

Don gave a quick nod and was very glad that they had met Arthur in the corridor. With a scared child in his arms, he could do only so much without scarring him even more. Following Arthur out the door they left a shell shocked Minister and social worker for Arthur was known as being a soft spoken reserved man around the Ministry.

The two men and Harry quickly made their way back through the Ministry and to the nearest floo so they could floo Harry home.

Before they flooed Harry home though, Don turned to Arthur and extended a hand. "I'm sorry I never introduced myself. I'm Healer Patterson, but you can call me Don."

Arthur took Don't hand. "It's ok, things were a little crazy back there. I'm Arthur Weasley. Thank you for taking care of Harry, from the sound of it it's about time someone's been there for him."

He then looked down at Harry and gave him a small smile. "When you see Ron and the twins can you tell them how proud I am of them."

Harry gave a small smile and nodded. "Thank you"

"There is no need to thank me Harry. I did what any adult would have done. I am so sorry for not listening to my sons this summer, they have a tendency to over exaggerate. I am very glad that Professor Snape has been there for you though if you need anything at all know that you can come to either me or Molly, ok?"

Harry gave another shy nod. "You're...you're not coming with us?"

Smiling down at the boy Arthur shook his head. "I can't right now. I have to go to the aurors and report the Minister. What he was trying to do was inexcusable and against the law. I'll visit you later though, how does that sound?"

"That sound good."

Don smiled at the interaction. They then all said their goodbyes, and Don went through the floo still holding the child.