Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
When Severus woke it was to soft tinkling bells in his ears from the alarm charm he had placed on Harry before he had fallen asleep. Sleepily he looked over at Harry and gave a small smile to the boy who was looking back at him. Silently the man canceled the spell that was still chiming in his ear while he sat up in bed.
Gardens
When Severus woke it was to soft tinkling bells in his ears from the alarm charm he had placed on Harry before he had fallen asleep. Sleepily he looked over at Harry and gave a small smile to the boy who was looking back at him. Silently the man canceled the spell that was still chiming in his ear while he sat up in bed.

"Hey Harry, did you have a good nap?"

Harry slightly nodded and held the small toy a little closer to his chest making Severus smile grow a little more.

"Have you thought of a name for that little guy?"

Looking down at the toy Harry nodded. "I thought I would call him Shadow."

"That's a very good name Harry. Would you like to take a look around the clinic? They have a very nice garden."

Harry gave another small nod. "Would you come with me?"

"Of course child."

Harry let out a small smile as Severus swung his feet off the side of the bed. Seeing the boy start to get up Severus came over and offered a hand up to the child. Gratefully Harry accepted the hand and let his Professor help him leap off the bed. With a small sigh Severus, not for the first time cursed the Dursleys for stunting his growth while Harry was cursing his height as well. The boy really hated being at least two heads shorter than his classmates. Hopefully, he would catch up to his classmates sooner rather than later.

Before the two left the room though, Severus looked gently down at the boy. "Do you want to use the restroom before we explore?"

Harry took a moment, but then he looked up at Severus with his plushy still in his arms and nodded.

Severus gave a small nod. "The bathroom is right over there Harry. Call if you need anything."

"Thank you sir." With that Harry, slowly walked over to the bathroom and when he was inside closed the door behind him. A few minutes later Harry came out and went back to Severus's side taking hold of his hand.

"Ready to go now?"

"Yes sir."

Nodding his head Severus grabbed the two robes Don had left hanging by the door. Handing one of them to Harry he watched as the boy put it on, and then he put his own on. Then, confirming soft slippers were on both of their feet he cast a warming charm on the both of them to ward off chills as they wandered the halls. When he deemed them both ready Severus gently guided the boy out of the room and down the hall to their first stop the cafeteria. Walking in Severus looked down at the small black haired child.

"How about a snack that was a pretty small lunch we had."

"Yes please."

Severus then led the boy over to the hospital like cafeteria counter and picked up two apple pie slices and put them on a tray.

"Do you like apple pie Harry?"

Shyly the child looked down. "I've never had it."

"That's ok Harry. Would you like to try some?"

Looking up and smiling at his Professor he nodded. Severus just replied by dragging the tray further down the counter and placing two glasses of milk on it. When he was finished, he picked the tray up with one hand and kept his other grasped tightly around Harry's.

"Do you see a table you want to sit?"

Severus had caught Harry looking longingly towards the booths near the side windows. The one thing Severus did like about this clinic was the full wall windows to the outside plush gardens. It made this place look so free and calming, probably the effect they were going for.

Shyly the boy looked down and shuffled his feet. Slightly sighing Severus gave the boy's hand a gentle squeeze and decided he would make the decision for him.

"How about in the booth over there by the window. What do you think?"

Smiling Harry looked up. "That would be brilliant sir."

Nodding Severus started walking over to their destination. When they got there Severus placed the tray on the table and sat down on one side of the booth while Harry sat on the other side. The man then carefully placed the two glasses of milk on the table, one in front of Harry and the other in front of him. After doing the same with the pie, a friendly looking nurse came over and smiled at the two.

"Would you like me to take care of that tray for you?"

Severus gave her a small nod. "Thank you and would you mind telling Don, I mean Healer Patterson, that we are having a small snack and then maybe take a walk in the garden?"

"Certainly."

With that, the nurse picked up the tray and went to inform Don where his wayward patients disappeared to. While the nurse left Severus looked at Harry.

"Would you like to go on that walk I mentioned?"

Harry's whole face lit up and enthusiastically nodded. "Very much sir."

Smiling at the boy Severus nodded his head towards the glass of milk in front of Harry. "Then have your snack and we'll go."

Harry gave a small nod and picked up the glass of milk and started to drink. Severus followed suite and they both drained half or more than half of their glasses before they started the pie.

When Harry took the first bit, his eyes lit up, and he sat there a few minutes savoring the taste. Severus just sat there and watched the boy amused by his actions.

"So do you like it?"

"It's probably the best thing I've ever eaten!"

Giving the boy a sad smile knowing that the child was more than likely not exaggerating like many children do. This was likely one of the only treats the boy had in his short life. He stopped those thoughts quickly though, and had to remind himself that he was replacing the child's bad memories with happy ones.

"I'm glad Harry."

Harry gave a small smile and then started to wolf down his pie, but was careful not to eat too fast. Severus happily dug in as well while watching Harry enjoy himself.

When they were finished, Harry had eaten his entire slice while Severus had managed a decent chunk, but not all of it. Smiling Severus looked at the child immediately after he put his fork down.

"How are you feeling Harry?"

"Great! Can we go outside now?"

Smiling and almost...chuckling Severus nodded. "But first we have to take care of our dishes. You see here while they do have house elves they think it's beneficial for patients to have some sort of responsibilities. Therefore, we have to wash our own dishes."

Harry gave a nod in understanding so Severus continued.

"Place your fork on your plate and carry that in one hand while you carry your glass in the other. You see that window in the wall over there? Go put them over there and I'll be over in a minute to show you how to wash them."

Harry did as he was told and Severus watched as Harry carried his dishes over to the window. He had stayed back a bit just to gage how Harry was walking and how far they could go with Harry still in a cast. Seeing no limp or obvious distress he figured he was fine for a short walk and might do him some good to get some exercise. After all, if the boy did get tired before they came back inside he could always carry him. It's not as if Harry were taller or even weighed more than a ten-year old. Again, he mentally cursed the Dursleys as he got up to join Harry.

Reaching the window he saw a meek boy trying to hide the fact that he had already washed his dishes. Smiling Severus placed his dishes down and slightly turned to the child.

"Anxious to get outside?"

Blushing Harry looked down. "I'm sorry I didn't wait as you said too, sir."

Severus placed a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder. "It's ok Harry. I just thought you wouldn't know how to use water hose. It is a little different from most and can be confusing for some."

Shrugging his shoulders Harry lent into Severus's hand. "Aunt Petunia often had me cook and clean up at the local community center when her group got together to play bridge. They had a sink kind of like this."

Moving his hand from Harry's shoulder to pull the boy's back into him so he could give him a one-armed hug Severus let out a small sigh. Don had said that when Harry volunteered information like this, he should pursue Harry's train of thought and keep him talking.

"Who else helped with the cooking and cleaning?"

Relaxing into Severus's chest Harry shrugged his shoulders. "It was just me until Mrs. Landow started to come to the meetings. She refused to allow me to do everything by myself and helped every time she came."

Severus sighed knowing this was going to be more of a conversation then he had thought. So he looked behind him and met the eyes of a nurse. Gesturing with his head to the dishes on the counter and then down to the child in his arms he rose his eyebrows as if to ask a question.

Silently she nodded as if she understood. Severus then looked down at the boy and wrapped his other arm around him in a small hug.

"Come on Harry let's go somewhere outside to talk some more."

The child nodded and Severus unwrapped his arms from Harry, but kept a steady hand on his shoulder. Silently he led the child to the door and then outside to the garden. When they were outside Severus spotted a bench near by and gently steered the child to sit down beside him.

"Do you want to tell me more about this Mrs. Landow Harry?"

Harry's eyes brightened up at the mention of her name and then lent into Severus's side while the man cast a silent warming charm over the both of them.

"She was always very nice to me when we were in the kitchen. My Aunt always told me I was to not eat any of the food I was preparing, but Mrs. Landow always snuck food to me saying what my Aunt didn't know wouldn't hurt her."

Brushing the hair away from Harry's face Severus gently tried to prod Harry into saying a bit more. "I'm glad she was there to help you Harry. How often did these meetings happen?"

"On Tuesdays and Thursdays. I always looked forward to going because it meant that I got to eat that day. When I missed a day though, the next time I went Mrs. Landow was always so worried. As soon as Aunt Petunia left the kitchen she would check me head to toe to establish I was ok. Once she saw, a few bruises and she said something to Aunt Petunia...I wasn't allowed to go for three weeks. She never said anything after that, but she kept telling me that she would get me out of that 'hell hole' somehow, someday."

Gently Severus snaked his arms around the child and hugged him close to his side. "I'm sorry Harry that she couldn't get you out sooner. You are out now though, and you are safe. I promise you; you will never go back."

Then, almost musing to himself Severus continued. "Maybe we will take a trip to see Mrs. Landow. Would you like that Harry?"

Harry nodded enthusiastically. "I would really like that. I even know where she lives. She brought me to her house one day when she found me in the park in the winter without a coat. She told me that I needed to at least warm up before she brought me home."

"I'll see what I can arrange then. Now how about our walk?"

Harry made a move to get up and Severus released his arms from around him. Then, he gently helped the boy to his feet while got to his own. Taking the child's hand in his own the two began to walk around the vast garden with Harry looking around in awe and Severus answering his questions when they were asked.

After a half hour of walking around, Severus noticed that Harry was starting to tire so they both began to head inside. When Harry noticed that they were heading back he looked up at Severus with confusion written throughout his face. Smiling down at the child he gave Harry's shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"I can see you're starting to get a little tired, and I bet Don is looking for us or will be soon. Don't worry though we will explore some more when we come back tomorrow and maybe later I'll tell you about the gardens at your Headmaster's house."

Harry gave a small nod and gave in to his exhaustion by leaning into Severus's side. Gently Severus wrapped his arm around the child.

"Would you like some help for the rest of the way?"

At the offer Harry's brain was starting to tell him to say no that it was too childish to be picked up and carried, but his heart was yearning for the closeness; for the care he desperately wanted. For a few more moments Harry stood there with his internal struggle, but then his heart won out, and he nodded.

Gently Severus leaned over and lifted the child into his arms. When Harry was safely tucked against his chest Severus again began to stride forward, but this time at a much faster pace for he had slowed considerably when the child was walking beside him.

Just a few minutes later Severus was inside the building and heading for their room. When they reached their room Severus gently extracted the child from his arms and sat him down on his bed with his legs dangling over the edge.

"You should rest a while until Don comes to fetch us for another test. Would you like to read a book or something else?"

Shyly Harry looked at Severus while fumbling with his hands nervously. "Could I draw?"

Smiling slightly Severus nodded. "I think that can be done."

With that Severus conjured up a small lap table with a bunch of paper on it and a small thing of colored pencils. Before placing the table on Harry's lap, Severus put it on the bedside table and looked at the child who was still dangling his feet over the edge of the bed.

"Why don't you get comfortable and lie back against the pillows?"

Harry nodded and did as Severus told him. Taking off his robe and slippers he then moved his back so that it was resting against the pillows. Severus then silently pulled the covers up so that they lay loosely on Harry's lap and picked the lap table up again to set it on Harry's lap.

"You all set there Harry? Do you need anything else?"

Smiling up at Severus Harry shook his head. "Thank you."

When Severus saw the smile he gave a small nod and sat down on his own bed. He then picked up the potions journal that Don had left him on the bedside table and took the small bow off it. Shaking his head a bit and smiling at Don's small gift he opened the cover and began to read.

It was somewhat an unspoken tradition between the two men dating all the way back to the first time Severus visited the clinic. Every time the man found himself here Don would leave an anonymous gift by his bed as sort of a peace offering. Of course, Severus was not supposed to know that it was Don who left the gift for him and the man acted surprised every time he thanked him, but Severus knew it was him. Who else would leave gifts by his bedside?

Severus then while still staring at the words in front of him not really reading them, began to think of the first gift Don had given him and slightly smiled. He had loved that small stuffed snake and it still held a special place on his bookshelf in his room. With that fond memory Severus looked over Harry and out of the corner of his eye sitting on the table beside the child he noticed a small package with a bow on it that he had missed before.

Immediately, he knew what it was and slowly got off his bed picking up the small package from the table as he did. With a smile, he came over to the boy who looked up from his drawing when he heard Severus approach. When the child saw the small package, his look turned to one of confusion and as Severus placed it on the tray in front of him his confusion grew even more.

As soon as Severus saw the confusion on the boy's face, he quickly began to soothe him. With a smile on his face Severus sat on the bed next to Harry and gestured towards the small package.

"It looks as though someone left you a present. Do you want to open it?"

"Someone left this for me?"

"Yes Harry."

Harry's eyes looked pleadingly up at Severus. "Are you sure it's for me?"

Again Severus gave a small nod. "What's wrong Harry?"

Looking in front of him to the gift Harry started to talk, but it seemed that it was more to himself than anyone else. "It's just I've never gotten a gift before except for Headwig."

Closing his eyes for a moment to calm himself Severus took a deep breath cursing the Dursleys for more than the third time that day. Then, opening his eyes again he patted Harry on the shoulder trying to give some comfort to the child.

"Well, open it up then, and see what you got."

Slowly Harry untied the bow with shaky hands. He then flipped the package upside down and carefully undid the tape so that he would not rip the paper.

As Harry unwrapped the present Severus again cursed the Dursleys. No child should savor a present as if it were going to be the last one they were ever going to receive. They should rip open the wrapping and shout with glee when they found what was inside.

When Harry finished with the wrapping, he gently took out the slightly bigger plushy than the one had picked out at the store. Shakably Harry lifted the new stuffed lion a bit higher and gave it a tentative hug. He then looked down at the small note that was still in the package and read what it said. With a small smile on his face Harry picked up his other small toy with a more sure hand and hugged that next to his new lion.

Shyly Severus looked down to the note that made the boy smile and when he read what it said he smiled as well.

"I thought Shadow might need some more company."

Slightly Severus shook his head in amusement. He had no idea how Don had heard the boy's name for his animal earlier, but he apparently had. Don and his mysterious ways of knowing everything.

"So what are you going to name your new lion?"

Harry looked at his new toy and thought for a long moment. He then looked up at Severus and shrugged his shoulders a little. "I don't know...what do you think I should name him sir?"

Again, patting the boy on his shoulder Severus gave the child a smile. "That is up to you Harry; he is yours. If you can't think of anything right now take some time and think of the perfect name for your new friend."

Giving the man a small nod Harry looked down at his two toys. With that nod Severus cleared away the paper and got a small peek at what the boy had been drawing before he had interrupted him. What Severus saw made his chest tighten and he couldn't help the small gasp that came from his mouth. There was a perfect image of Lily holding a young baby with black hair.

Hearing the gasp Harry looked up at his Professor and saw the look of sadness cross the man's face. Following Severus gaze down to his picture he fumbled his hands nervously.

"I'm...I'm sorry it's not very good."

Shaking himself out of his stupor Severus blinked and when he saw the slightly scared expression on the boys face he gave a small sigh.

"No Harry, it's quite stunning. I was just surprised at how wonderful it is. Do you have any photos of you mum and dad?"

Harry gave Severus a small nod. "Hagrid gave me a photo book before I left Hogwarts last year. I usually keep it under my pillow..."

Following Harry's train of thought Severus continued while still looking at the sunning drawing of a red-haired woman smiling back at him. "Is it back in your dorm under your pillow?"

"Yeah, I wish I had it here..."

Severus nodded and got off the bed. "I'll go call Professor Mcgonagall then and ask her to fetch it for you. How about that?"

"I...I would like that."

"Ok Harry I will be right back."

Just then Don walked into the room and smiled at both of his boys. As Severus started to leave the room Don placed a hand on his arm.

"And where are you going?"

Silently Severus whispered where he was going to Don and Don released his arm while he nodded. Very quietly Don then asked for Severus to stay out of the room a bit longer that he had intended for he wanted to talk with Harry for a while. He had originally planned to take Harry to the therapy room for a small talk, but could see the child was too tired at the moment for too much stress. They would have the talk therapy here where he was comfortable.

As Severus left he gave a nod at Don. When Severus had gone Don came over to the boy and pulled up the chair to sit next to his bed.

"Do you like your new lion Harry?"

The boy gave a small nod. "Do...do you know who gave it to me?"

With a sly smile Don gave the same answer when Severus had first asked where the gift had come from. "I don't know Harry, but I do know that whoever did cares about you a great deal."

Looking down at his new toy Harry had a small smile on his face, and very quietly he began to speak. "Just like how Severus said he cares...someone...someone else cares?"

Scooting his chair a little closer to the child Don placed a hand on the boy's knee. "Yes Harry. I care very much and so does Severus, the Headmaster, your Head of House, and a lot of other people."

Hugging the two soft toys Harry gave a small nod.

Sighing Don sent a touch of calming magic into the boy. "I know you don't believe me right now Harry and that's all right. In time, though I hope that you will start to believe and trust us."

Sighing when Don saw the boy just hug the plushies closer to his chest he tried to continue as gently as he could while still sending calming magic into the child knowing that what was going to be discussed now was going to be distressing for the child.

"Harry I wanted to talk to you about something important. Is that ok?"

Harry gave a small nod and moved his legs up so that the stuffed animals were now squished between his chest and knees. It seemed that Harry had some idea of what he wanted to talk to him about or could just sense that he was not going to like this conversation. When Don felt the child start to change positions he moved his hand and scooched his chair a bit closer to the head of Harry's bed.

"I'm going to ask you a few questions and I want you to try to answer me as honestly as possible. If at any time you feel uncomfortable or don't want to talk about it just say so and I'll do whatever I can to make you feel better. Remember though that talking about our experiences often help us feel better."

Giving another nod Harry accepted the Healers touch when the man placed a hand back on his raised knee.

"Ok Harry remember your nightmare the other night that had the doctor in it?"

"Yes..."

"Very good Harry. Now can you tell me what the doctor did after your Aunt left the room?"

"Do...do I have to?"

Sending a bit more calming magic into the boy to keep calm, but still lucid Don gave a little shake of the head.

"You don't have to do anything Harry, but I promise you it can only help if you tell me."

Harry gave a small nod while staring straight at the wall in front of him and continued in a detached monotone voice.

"He...he made me take off all my clothes...all of them. He then...touched me...down there. When...when he was done, ...he...took out a camera...and started to make me pose while...he took pictures of me..."

Harry reaching his breaking point then buried his face into the stuffed animals and began to sob brokenheartedly. Don saw the meltdown and got off his chair to sit on the bed next to Harry. Carefully he removed the tray from the boy's bed putting it on the table next to them and drew the distraught child into his lap. Placing a hand on Harry's chest he started to send stronger spurts of calming magic while trying to talk calmly to the child. At first, Harry fought Don and his magic as the Healer tried to calm him, but after a few minutes Harry gave into the warm feeling of his magic and relaxes lightly.

"That's it Harry; you're here with me Don and everything is alright. That man can never do that to you again I promise. Just try to calm down some for me and take deep breaths."

Harry did as he was told and tried to calm down letting the magic flow through his system. He didn't quite understand how he was feeling right now, and frankly it scared him even more than anything. He knew he was scared that the man would find him now that he told on him as he had said, but he also felt that pressure that had been on his chest disappear and that made him feel a bit better. Burring his head into Don's chest a lot calmer now Harry still continued to cry his heart out, but in a normal pace now.

When the man felt Harry start to move in his arms Don removed his hand from the child's chest and let him move into a more comfortable spot. After the child was done shifting around, Don wrapped both arms around the child and began to rock him and rub soothing circles on his back.

"That's right you can cry as much as you need to now that you have calmed down some. Remember though that no one here will ever hurt or humiliate you like that; I will make sure of that."

While Don tried to calm the child further his mind was wondering. That awful man had taken pictures of the boy. He needed to get in contact with the police men he had met a couple of times before when he had similar situations with muggle born children. The last time they had met they had mentioned that men like that liked to post those photos on something fairly new called the interweb or something like that so that everyone could see them. That thought made Don shudder. How could someone invade and humiliate a child like that and then bare it all for the world to see?

As Harry began to calm down even further Severus stepped into the room holding a small photo album in his hand. When he saw Harry crying he immediately came over, but Don put up a hand to stop him from coming any closer and then pointed to the man's own bed. Silently Severus nodded and went to sit on his bed understanding that Don wanted to try to calm the child himself. It was important that Harry started to trust more people than just Severus and this was a step in that direction.

Severus watched the two as Don calmed Harry until the child was just giving small hiccuping occasionally. All the while Don had the boy pressed close to his chest and had been whispering small words of comfort in his ear. Gently Don pulled to the child away from his chest when he felt Harry was ready and gave him a small smile.

"How do you feel now Harry?"

"Lighter...like...like a weight has been lifted off my chest."

Don gave a small nod. "I'm very glad to hear that Harry. Now do you want to sit on your own or do you want to stay where you are. Either way I believe Severus has brought you something."

"I...I can sit on my own."

"Ok Harry." With that Don, gently placed the boy on the bed so that he was sitting next to him. Severus then got off his bed and came to sit in the chair Don had occupied before Harry had broken down. Gently Severus placed the photo album in Harry's lap.

"Thank you for bringing it sir."

"Open it up Harry, there are some more photo's in the back."

Looking up at Severus Harry wiped that last of his dried tears from his face with the back of his sleeve. "There are?"

Severus just nodded and opened the book up to where he had put the new photos in the sleeves. When he had flooed to Minerva's office and talked to her about the album she had immediately fetched it for him, but she had also come back with some loose photos she had taken years ago. As Severus placed the photos of both Lily Potter and James Potter in the book he noticed that more than a few of them that had Lily in the photo had him next to her or close by. When Severus saw that he had looked up at the woman and had given her a grateful nod while Minerva ignored the few stray tears rolling down his face and gave a nod of her own.

As Harry looked over the new photos with a small smile on his face Severus made a vow that tonight he would add some of his own photos to the boy's collection and maybe ask some other Professors if they had any they were willing to give up. When Harry had finished memorizing every photo to memory, he shyly looked back up at his Professor and Severus noticed a few more tears residing there.

"Th...thank you."

Conjuring a hanky Severus wiped away the new tears gently. "Don't thank me Harry. These are from your Head of House when we go back home tonight I will add some of mine for you."

Hearing that Harry launched himself from the bed and into Severus's arms leaving the photo book behind. Hugging the child to himself Severus closed his eyes thinking of when the last time he had held Lily like this. Those old photos were bringing up memories like that and Severus didn't really know how that made him feel. Of course, it made him feel a touch of sadness, but at the same time he felt oddly comforted that he could at least hold the little bit of Lily that was left.

Pulling the child back from his chest a bit Severus looked Harry in the eye. "I take it you like my idea?"

"Very much sir!"

"Good."

Severus then let the boy who now had a blush on his face jump down and get back on his bed. He had just realized how childish he had acted jumping on his guardian like that and crying all over Don moments before that. God he was turning into such a baby.

Don read the emotions running across Harry's face like a book and gently placed a two fingers under the boy's chin making it so that he could look nowhere else.

"Look at me Harry. There is no shame in showing how you really feel. That old saying 'boy's don't cry' is not true. Boy's need to cry out their emotions just as much as girls do and no one; no one should ever be ashamed for doing so. You have been strong for so long and now that we are here to help you your emotions are letting down their shields. Those shields will be down for a while Harry; it is perfectly natural."

As Don was talking to Harry occasionally he shot a glance at Severus to see whether he was listening as well. It was important that they both understood that Harry was going a little emotionally unstable for a while. Trauma over a long period of time could do that to someone, and children were even more susceptible to being emotionally weak.

Don then gently released Harry's chin and gave him a comforting pat on the shoulder. Silently he cast a tempus charm to see what the time was and nodded when he saw Harry was due to have his bone density test soon.

"Ok Harry, you know you're here to have some more tests right?"

Harry gave a small nod so Don continued.

"Well, one of those tests is called a bone density test. It's going to tell me how strong your bones are and if they need a bit of help growing. To do this, we have to go to a room that is unaffected by magic and we have a muggle contraption that will do the test."

Another nod came from the boy. "What...what will the machine do?"

"It's going to be kind of like an x-ray machine. You will have to lie flat on a table and this big piece of metal will go over your body and do a scan of all the bones in your body. The scan will only last ten minutes, and you won't feel anything."

"Will you be there?" Harry turned to look at Severus with pleading eyes.

Severus saw the look and gently picked up the boy's hand into his own. "I will be there the entire time Harry and so will Don because the radiation does not affect magical people as it does muggles we can be in the room with you. "

Harry gave a small nod as Don got up and took the hand that Severus had released. "We should get going Harry."

Harry accepted a hand up and got off the bed to follow the Healer and Severus out if the room and into the hall. Before they left the room though, Severus had slipped a robe around Harry's shoulders, confirmed soft slippers were on his feet and cast a silent warming charm over him.

Walking through the hallway Harry clutched tightly onto Shadow feeling just a bit nervous. He had left his other toy behind on the bed because it was a bit cumbersome caring both toys in his arms as he walked and if he were honest he was attached to the small kneazle more than the lion.

Arriving at the room Harry hesitated just outside the door. When Severus turned around to see what the matter was, he saw Harry shaking and holding his plushy close to his chest. With a small sigh, he knelt down before the child and rested a hand on his cheek.

"Hey there Harry. What's wrong?"

Unconsciously Harry lent into the soft touch and calmed a little when all he could see was the concerned Professor.

"Ner...nervous."

Brushing the boy's hair back be then gently moved his hand down onto his shoulder. "It's ok Harry; I'll hold your hand the entire time. Come on now."

Harry took hold of Severus hand as the man gently led him into the room. Closing the door behind them Severus led the boy over to the table and lifted him by the armpits so he could sit on the flat surface. It was quite a high table that even an adult would need help up or have really good upper body strength to leaver themselves up.

Don came over and placed a pillow on one side of the table and Severus helped the child lie down so that his head gently rested on it. Don then pressed a small button on a remote and a large metal plate appeared above Harry's feet.

With Severus, holding Harry's hand Don patted the child on the shoulder to gain his attention. "This won't hurt at all Harry, just try to lie as still as you can."

As Harry gave, a small nod Don pressed the button to begin, and the metal plate started to slowly move up Harry's body and then when it reached his shoulders it started to move back towards his feet. When the scan was done, Harry had his eyes shut tightly, and it looked as if he were squeezing the life out of his poor stuffed toy.

As soon as Severus got the ok from Don he quickly lifted the boy off the table and into his arms. He hated to see Harry so scared it hurt his heart. Hugging the child closer to him Severus gently rubbed the boy's back with calming circles.

"It's ok Harry; it's all over and you're ok."

Don came over and placed a hand on Severus's shoulder and whispered something that only Severus could hear. As Severus nodded he started to carry Harry down the hall and back into their room. When they got there Severus placed the child on his bed and gently took off his slippers and robe. He then tucked the child under the covers and spotted the potion a nurse had left beside his bed. Pouring a bit of sleeping drought into a spoon he tenderly fed it to the boy.

"You should sleep for a few hours Harry; you're tired and stressed and need a bit of rest. When you wake up we can have some dinner ok?"

Silently he added. "...and we can also go over the results of the test." Severus sometimes hated the fact that muggle machines took a few hours to process the results it gave you too much time to worry. That was one of the few reasons the two adults had thought it would be best for Harry to sleep through the wait. They did not want the boy to work himself up into a panic thinking of all the possibilities.

Slowly the child nodded and closed his eyes succumbing to the potion that was now flowing through his body. Don had followed Severus closely as he carried the boy back to his room and had watched the scene before him with a slight smile on his face. It was nice to see Severus care for someone.

When Severus had stopped fussing, yes fussing, over the child he turned and saw Don looking at him with mirth in his eyes. Blushing a bit Severus went and sat down on his bed embarrassed that Don had caught him acting like a doting father.

Turning the chair around that was still in the room Don sat down and patted Severus on the knee. "Don't worry Severus I think it's sweet that you care so much."

Gowning Severus placed his head in his hands. "You're never letting me live this down are you?"

Softly Don let out a chuckle and moved to sit beside Severus. "There is nothing wrong with caring for a child who needs all the love he can get. Frankly I'm glad that you care so much for him. It's not just good for him, but it's good for that heart of yours to warm up a bit."

Lifting his head slightly he looked at Don through the side of his hand. "You won't tell Minerva and Albus that I kissed him on the forehead will you?"

Patting the man's knee Don gave a small nod in understanding. "If it bothers you that much I won't say a word to them, but don't hide your feelings from them. They already know you care for the child; it's obvious the way you act around him."

Severus sighed. "I..I was thinking about adoption. He needs something more stable than guardianship, and then the Ministry can't interfere. Do...do you think it's too soon or that I'm making a mistake?"

Don sent a bit of calming magic into Severus sensing that his patient was getting a little worked up.

"Calm down Severus. I think that adoption would be good for Harry, but I think you should talk to him about it before you do anything and see what his thoughts are."

Severus gave a small nod and Don could see he was calming down so he stopped the flow of magic. Then, patting Severus on the knee gently he got off the bed.

"You should get some rest as well Severus. The few hours you got here and the few hours last night is not enough. You look exhausted; I can see the bags under your eyes."

Severus sighed and took off his own slippers and robe. He then pulled back his covers and as soon as his head hit the pillow he was out.

Don smiled at the sight. He could always read the man like an open book even if he closed himself up so tight most people thought he had no emotions. Gently Don pulled up the rest of the covers and then left the room, but not before placing a charm on both of them to let him know when they woke. Both his patients were getting a good meal tonight whether they liked it or not.