Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Stepping through the floo to Albus's office Don let out a small sigh. He knew he should have at least talked to his Healer before he took this trip to the Ministry, but he had run out of time, and he hated to make Albus wait for him. Or maybe that was just an excuse.
Behind Bars
Stepping through the floo to Albus's office Don let out a small sigh. He knew he should have at least talked to his Healer before he took this trip to the Ministry, but he had run out of time, and he hated to make Albus wait for him. Or maybe that was just an excuse.

Pushing those thoughts away he gave Albus a smile as he appeared before him. Then, noticing the ashes all over his robes he made a move to brush them off. Straightening again after cleaning his robes he noticed to look of concern Albus was sending his way.

"What is it Albus?"

Albus gave the Healer another concerned look. "Are you going to be able to visit the Ministry without losing your temper? I've only seen that look on your face once before and that was when I had to stop you from hexing Severus's father to hell and back again."

Don took a deep breath and nodded. "I'll be fine Albus if you take my wand, and those...people stay behind bars."

Slowly Albus nodded. "Ok Don. The Minister wanted to speak with us before we visit them to get all the details so proper charges can be brought against them."

Nodding Don slowly extended his wand towards Albus's outstretched hand. As Albus took the wand he tenderly grabbed onto Don's hand for a moment and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I will leave your wand here under lock and key so nothing happens to it while we're gone. Is that ok with you?"

As Albus removed his hand from Don's the Healer nodded. "Thank you Albus."

Nodding Albus moved behind his desk and opened a drawer. Quickly he placed the Healer's wand inside and closed it locking it with a key and a simple warding spell that would keep everyone but either him or Don from opening the drawer. When that was finished Albus looked up at Don and smiled.

"All safe and sound. Now let's head over to the Ministry and get this over with."

Don nodded quickly and picked up some floo powder as Albus came over to the fireplace to floo behind the Healer. In the next moment Don was gone and Albus threw some green powder in as well before stepping through.

When arriving at the Ministry Albus spotted the Healer a few steps ahead of him wiping the ash off his robes. Smiling slightly at the Healers need to keep clean Albus began to brush himself off as well. As soon he was finished he came up behind the Healer and placed a hand on his shoulder. When he saw, Don look up at him he smiled and nodded.

Don nodded as well, and they both strode forward towards where the Minister's office was. Through the long trek through the Ministry Albus sent a few worried glances at the other man, but every time he looked at Don he seemed to be calm and composed. Albus knew deep down that Don could handle himself, he just could not help but worry. It seemed that was all he did of late, worry about the people around him.

Almost at the Minister's office Don caught another worried glance out of the corner of his eye and sighed. Stopping he looked at Albus.

"Albus please stop worrying about me. You have my wand, and I will speak with someone tonight. You do not have to worry about me."

Giving a small sigh the old man nodded. "I'm sorry Don, I guess it's something old men just do out of habit."

With a small smiled Don nodded. "It's ok Albus. I do understand it's hard not to worry when all you're doing lately is worrying about those you love."

Albus smiled. "Again, you've read me like a book Don. I don't know how you do that, and quite frankly it's a little scary."

With a slight smirk Don let out a hearty chuckle. "Come on let's go get this over with."

With a nod from Albus, the two continued forward to go to their meeting with Minister Bones. When they reached, the door Don lightly knocked and they both entered as soon as they heard the "come in" from inside.

As soon as Minister Bones looked up from her desk and spotted who had come in she smiled and made a gesture with her head to the two chairs in front of her desk. She then slightly nodded her head in greeting.

"Healer Patterson, Headmaster."

When Don sat down he gave the Minister a slight smile. "You've known me for years Minister; you know you can call me Don."

"And please call me Albus."

The witch nodded with a slight smile. "Then, you two will have to stop calling me Minister and call me by my name. Now, let's move on to why we're here. The Dursley's are downstairs in a holding cell waiting for their trial, but I need to know what exactly to charge them with. I am working on this personally, and it is my hope that we can charge them as quickly and quietly as possible. I don't want this to be in the headlines of The Daily Profit, and I'm sure Harry does not as well."

Don nodded. "What exactly do you need to know?"

"Well, it was obvious that Harry was hurt when he came to you and was starved by the way he was eating when I saw him. I need to know the extent of his wounds though, and exactly what he went through."

The Healer nodded and removed a few vials from his pocket placing them on the desk in front of him. "Severus and I have pensived our memories of all the injuries Harry has, and I can tell you more of all the injuries I found physically and mentally. I cannot however tell you what he has told me in confidence unless Harry gives me permission, and I'm not entirely comfortable asking him. He has already been through so much, and I don't want him to even start thinking that the whole world will know his every thought. It might make him stop confiding in the adults around him and that is the last thing we want."

The Minister nodded. "I understand. These memories should be enough to charge the Dursley's. I'm assuming I can charge both of them with neglect, endangerment of a child, and just Vernon Dursley with child abuse?"

Both Don and Albus nodded, but then Don spoke up. "You can charge them both with child abuse though. Harry's Aunt burned his hands on the stove as well as made him drink bleach repeatedly."

Silently Minister Bones placed a hand over her mouth in shock while closing her eyes, but took a few deep breaths to calm herself. When she composed herself she gave a sad look to the two before her. "Is there anything about that in the memories?"

Shaking his head slightly Don pulled out some papers from his other robe pocket. "No, but these have everything concerning his medical history in great detail."

Nodding the witch took the papers in hand and looked over them. The more she read the deeper her frown became until her mouth was just a thin line. Putting down the papers the Minister sighed and gave a sad look to the two in front of her.

"How is Harry doing?"

Don sighed. "He's doing better, but it will take a while before he heals completely. With Severus's love and care though I think Harry will adjust into a fine young man."

Slowly Minster Bones nodded. "Would you like to go down and see the Dursleys?"

Don nodded. "We would, but first I would like to ask of what happened to Dudley Dursley, their son?"

"He was removed from their home yesterday when we went to pick up his parents and placed in a special foster home to deal with his issues. It seems that he is so over weight that he is in danger of some major health risks. It also seems that growing up he never heard the word 'no' except when he was saying it so he has issues with authority figures. We are hopeful though that because he is still so young that Dudley adjusts to his new environment and learns boundaries."

Both Albus and Don nodded, but Albus spoke up. "Just out of curiosity was the child placed with a muggle family or a wizarding family?"

"He was placed with suibs. Since he already knows about the magical world and, the predigests his parents drilled into his head we thought that it would be best to place him with people who had a foot in both worlds. Otherwise, Dudley might grow up to hate the magical world even more for taking him from his parents and later on might try to take revenge. It would help no one if we had another wizard hunter on our hands."

Albus nodded. "Let me know if I can be of any assistance in helping the young lad. Maybe I can even take him on a special trip and show him the wonders of the magical world."

The Minister nodded. "I will see what his Healer and foster parents say and I'll let you know. Now, as for you two going down to see the Dursleys...I will have to take possession of your wands so you are not tempted to do any harm to them, and I cannot leave you alone with them. A guard has to be present at all times, and I would like to be there as well."

Both nodded their heads. "I already left my wand back at Hogwarts in Albus's office. I really just want a few words with those...people."

The Minister nodded and turned to Albus. "I'm sorry Albus, but I'm going to have to ask for you to relinquish your wand as well. You know whether they are injured in any way the guards will be blamed, and I don't think you want to get them in trouble. I'm really not allowed to take you down there, but I'm turning a blind eye in this case."

Albus took his wand out of his pocket and handed it to the woman. "You're right Amelia, and you have my thanks for allowing us to go down there."

Taking the wand the witch nodded. She then placed it in the large desk drawer in the middle of the desk and quietly warded it so no one could open it. When she was sure, the Headmaster's wand was locked away securely she stood up from her chair and walked towards the door. As soon as she reached the door, she turned around to see whether the two men were following her. When she saw they were she opened the door and strode forward to where the Dursleys were being kept.

Down three hallways and down two floors, the trio finally reached the holding cells. Before Don or Albus stepped forward to actually see the people they had come to see, Minister Bones stepped in front of them.

"Let the guard prep them first."

She then motioned to the guard next to her to go see the Dursleys while the two men nodded in understanding. When the guard came back and nodded at the Minister she let the two go forward, but followed closely behind with the guard to her right.

Reaching the right cell they stopped and stood just watching the two behind bars as they came closer to them. Vernon Dursley looked like a mess with his purple face staring straight at the two wizards angrily and not to mention Petunia who was thin as a stick and looked as if she were about to have steam coming out of her ears. Already, all involved could tell this was not going to be a pleasant conversation.

Before either of the wizards could utter a single word to the two in cell, Vernon Dursley began to yell at Dumbledore loudly and with a rage one would not think possible. It was kind of sad, but all Don could think was the irony of how worried people around him were about him blowing these people up. He was sure that if Vernon had any magic at all running through his veins he would have made the whole room explode.

"Why the hell did you freaks lock us up?"

As calm as ever Albus just looked at the man and shook his head sadly. "I know you were told why you are here by the Aurors who picked you up. It is illegal to do otherwise."

Vernon sniffed indignantly. "Yeah they told us it was because we gave the freak what he deserved, but we were just teaching him a lesson. It's not as if we did anything wrong. Now just let us out!"

Don closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath to keep himself calm. "Mr. Dursley, you abused your nephew. You. Hurt. Him."

The man behind bars just snorted. "So what, he always healed himself with his freaky-deaky powers of his. It's not as though anything really hurt him."

Don took another breath. "Mr. Dursley, you are very lucky I don't have a wand with me. I don't believe that violence solves violence, but I I'm not sure if I could control myself as well as I would like. For you are a horrible human being. No matter what the circumstances are you never hurt a child. As an adult you are there to care for them; to protect them from harm not inflict it."

Vernon's face just turned a deeper shade of purple and he began to shout profanities too foul for the human ear to hear. As a response the guard pointed a wand at the man and cast a silencing spell on him to relieve every one of the horrible sound. Both wizards shot the guard a grateful glance while Vernon Dursley continued to scream his head off even though no one could hear him.

Albus then stepped forward to address the woman. "Petunia. I just have to ask you. How could you do this to your own flesh and blood? He is your sister's child."

The woman just scowled at the Headmaster. "You left him on our doorstep like a piece of garbage so we treated him like one. Just because we are, blood does not mean we have to care. He was a burden to my house always eating our food and taking clothing from my Dudley. Where is my Dudley? What have you freaky people done with my precious baby?"

Sadly Albus sighed. "You could have contacted me at anytime to tell me you did not wish to take care of your nephew, and I would have found him another loving home. You know that, I put in the letter I left for you. I suppose the monthly funds kept you from doing that though. I am disappointed in you Petunia. What would Lily think if she knew how you treated her son? I know for a fact that if Lily had to take care of your son she would have treated him as her own."

Petunia's face was now looking redder than a beet and flush at the same time as she heard those words come from Albus's mouth. "I. Don't. Care. What. That. Woman. Thinks. Of. Me. She got herself killed, and this is all her fault. Now tell me what you did to my Dudykins you freaks!"

Albus seemed to be fighting to keep his calm so Don took over for him. "Yes Petunia, it is your sister's fault for being murdered by a mad man. That makes perfect sense. Did you know that she fought until her last breath to keep her son safe and saved his life? That the love she had for him was so strong that even the killing curse could not break it. As for your son, he is being well-taken care of by his foster parents."

"Where is he? Did you stick him with freaks? My poor Duddy Wuddy!"

Exasperated Don sighed. "He is with squibs, and I know this is unfortunate to you, but your son will always have one foot in the magical world with his cousin being who he is. It is our hope that he will be able to overcome the hate you filled him with and begin to heal."

"You...you..." Petunia face became just became a deeper shade of red and she began to scream much as her husband had done and was still trying to. Casually the guard silenced her as well and beckoned to the two visitors. With the two silenced it was time for them to go. There was nothing more to discuss, Albus and Don had heard all they could stomach. Not bothering to say their goodbyes to the people behind bars Albus and Don walked over to where the Minister and guard were standing.

As soon as Don came within touching distance to the Minister she placed a warm hand on his shoulder. "Do you two want to come back to my office for a bit to calm down some before going back home?"

Albus nodded for the both of them. "Yes Amelia I think that is a wonderful idea. Maybe have a cup of tea?"

Smiling the Minister nodded. "I think I can arrange that. Now come on let's get out of here."

Very gently she placed an arm around the Healer's shoulder and led him out of the holding cell area with Albus on her other side. Quietly and quickly the three made it back to Minister Bones office.

When they got there she ushered the two to sit down and quickly ordered a tray of tea. As soon as the were all served the Minister sat in a chair beside the two instead of behind her desk. There was no need for formality just now. Remembering then about Albus's wand she gracefully hopped up from her chair and unwarded the draw of her desk. Reaching in she picked up the wand and then handed it back to the older man as she took her seat again.

Crossing her legs the Minister sent a small smile towards the Healer. "I'm sorry, but I forgot to ask whether you will be testifying at the trial?"

Slowly the Healer nodded. "I will, I don't want them to get away with what they did. They didn't even show remorse for what they did to the poor child!"

Albus placed a hand on the man's shoulder. "I know Don, but it won't help or change anything if we were to get upset, and you know that. How many times have you told that to Severus?"

Sighing Don took a couple of deep breaths. "I'm ok Albus; I really am. I thought that whale was going to explode though, especially after the guard placed that silencing spell on him. His face just kept turning deeper shades of purple. I hate to say it, but it was almost amusing to watch him try to talk and fail."

Albus let a smile grace his face. "I admit it was. If what he was saying wasn't so deplorable I would have laughed."

Then, shaking is head Albus removed his hand from the Healer's shoulder and looked at the Minister. "Is there anything else we need to discuss or can we head home?"

"Actually I wanted to ask you one more thing Don. In your report, you put an incident concerning a doctor. What happened to him? Do we need to bring charges against him as well?"

Sadly Don shook his head. "I spoke with the muggle law enforcement, and they are pursuing that. They have a large file on him already, and Harry's case just put the nail in the coffin so to say."

Nodding the Minister sighed. "I guess that is one less thing to worry about then. I will visit the precinct just to make sure everything is in order though. I don't want anything to possibly happen so that he would be let out to hurt more children."

Both Albus and Don nodded and stood when the Minister did. "You two should head back home now. I can tell it's been a long day."

Don nodded. "It was good to see you again Amelia. I hope the next time we speak it will be under a better situation."

The Minister took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I hope so too. Have a good nights rest tonight. Anyone who knows you can see you haven't been sleeping."

"I will."

The Minister then took told of Albus hand and gave it the same gentle squeeze. "I will see you tomorrow. Please don't get into too much trouble until then."

Returning the small squeeze Albus nodded, but gave the witch a mischievous smile. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure Albus, sure." Minister Bones smiled and shook her head.

With, that the two made their way to the door and then down the hall to floo back to Hogwarts to retrieve Don's wand. With a few more goodbyes from Don to Albs he then quickly flooed back to the Clinic, he wanted to check on his patients.

While Albus and Don were at the Ministry, Severus was having a tough night. Don had keyed Pamela into the charms so that while he was gone she would be able to come if Harry aid if he had a nightmare. When the unavoidable nightmare had made, it's presence known though Pamela was hardly repaired for what was going to take place. Never in a million years could she ever imagine that a child's nightmare could be so severe.

The poor child had only one nightmare, but it was one of the that made him scream out in his sleep. Pamela had come as quickly as she could when she had heard the alarm bells in her ear and had practically run through the silencing shield Don had put up to keep Severus asleep. When she picked the boy up to place him in her lap through to wake and calm him Harry had only screamed louder, struggled out of her grasp and had wet himself while he was still asleep. After a few more attempts of trying and failing to wake the child, she did the only thing she could think of; she went to wake Severus. Don had told her that the man had the ability to calm the child even when he could not, and she needed that help, if they didn't wake him soon the poor child would scream his throat raw.

When she reached Severus's bed she gently placed a hand on the man's shoulder and that was enough to wake him. In his subconscious he could sense something in the room was amiss, but had no reason to wake until now. As soon as his eyes darted over to the other bed in the room and saw the silently screaming child Severus sat bolt upright and was out of the bed in mere seconds just shrugging the Healer off as he went to calm the child.

As he quickly trudged over to the bed, he snapped at Pamela. "Why the hell didn't you wake me sooner and why is there a silencing spell on his bed?"

He was sitting on Harry's bed drawing the small child onto his lap before he got an answer though, and when he did he simply ignored it. As soon as the child felt his familiar calloused hands he had calmed considerably. Gently Severus began to try to wake the boy from his dream, but all that came from his attempt were more small whimpers and a few quiet words.

"Daddy...I'm...I'm sorry."

Severus paused for a moment, but then hiked the child up so that his head was resting on his shoulder. "Yes child I'm here, and there is no need to be sorry. Wake up now, you're just dreaming."

Slowly Harry's eyes opened, but anyone could see that he was still half-asleep. As Severus hugged the child closer Harry woke up a bit more and right away noticed his wet pants. Embarrassed and ashamed Harry turned his face into Severus's robes started to cry.

"I'm so sorry daddy!"

Gently Severus started to rub the boy's back. "Shhhh It's ok Harry. You're going to be ok."

Violently Harry shook his head against Severus. "I'm...I'm so sorry!"

As gently as he could Severus placed a hand on the boy's cheek to stop him from shaking his head. "What are you sorry for Harry?"

Severus's only answer though was a tear filled shake of the head. Sighing Severus held the boy even closer and just let him cry himself out. He was obviously too distressed to do anything but. All the while Severus's heart hurt for the small crying child and at the same time fluttered at being called daddy.

Calmly Severus reached over to the bedside table and grabbed the mild calming potion. Quickly he uncorked it and then very gently pried Harry's face away from his shoulder. This was a ld potion, but it would keep Harry from becoming distressed to the point of being unconsolable.

"Can you drink this for me Harry? It will make you feel a better."

Shakily Harry reached forward and drew the vial closer to his mouth so that he could drink it's contents down. He would do anything if it would make that dream go away. The whole time Severus kept his steady hand on the potion so it would not spill. When the child had downed the entire container Severus took the vial away and placed it back on the table while Harry turned his face back into Severus's robes. As Severus felt the tears continue to fall he wrapped his arms around the child and rocked him a little.

"You're ok Harry. Everything will be just fine."

It took some minutes for Harry to calm down completely and when he did he just let the potion take over. He was just too tired to resist any longer. As soon as the child's cries quieted Severus pulled Harry back a bit and tucked his still stubborn hair behind his ear.

"Why don't we get ourselves cleaned up and then we can talk some more about your nightmare. Ok?

Hesitantly Harry gave a small nod while blushing considerably. "Do...do we have to talk about it though?"

Sighing Severus looked down at the boy still in his arms. "No Harry we don't, but it will feel better to get it off your chest."

"Can I wait until morning?"

Running gentle fingers through Harry's hair the man nodded. "It can, but the sooner you speak of it the sooner you will start to heal and feel better."

Slowly Harry nodded and then remembered what he had said earlier when he was half-asleep. In his dream Harry was standing in this large field and his parents were standing in front of him. They had been pointing their wands at him and were accusing him of killing them. Telling him it was his fault that Voldemort had come to their house in the first place. When Snape had picked him up in his dream it had been his real father picking him up, and placing him over his shoulder to bring him none to gently over to a cliff so he could throw him off. So he had pleaded with his "daddy" telling him he was sorry. Now, he realized that he had said it aloud and Severus had responded to him. Then, he had been half-asleep and had called his daddy again.

In his mind he had been calling the man daddy since he had claimed guardianship of him, but he had not dared to call him that out loud. He still was not entirely comfortable calling the man his first name out loud. In his mind it was safe to call him that forbidden word, he could pretend that they were father and son and perfectly happy together. In real life, though he was scared of how the man would react if he were to show that kind emotion. Even though he trusted Severus some things he just could not help to worry about.

"I'm really sorry about...what I called yo..."

Before Harry could finish his thought though, Severus placed a gentle finger on his mouth to stop him. "It's ok Harry. You don't need to apologize to me. Now, you are wet and I don't want you to get a chill. Let's get you into a warm shower and changed. We can talk some more later."

Again Harry nodded, but this time he made a move to get up out of Severus's lap. The man helped him off his lap and gently pushed him towards the bathroom.

"I'll bring in some new pajamas in a minute after I get myself changed and take care of your bed."

Quietly Harry closed the door behind him and Severus let out a small sigh and put his head in his hands not bothering to get off the bet yet. As he rose his head, he noticed Pam coming over to sit next to him.

"Are you ok there Severus?"

Halfheartedly the man shrugged off the hand the Healer had placed on his shoulder. Pam got the hint though, and removed her hand. Obviously, he didn't want to be touched at the moment.

"Do you want me to call Don from the Ministry Severus? I can if you need me to."

Severus shook his head. "No, I will be fine. I just need a few moments to think."

Slowly the Healer nodded. "Ok Severus. Do you want to tell me what you're thinking though? I know that sometimes voicing your thoughts can help."

Inwardly Severus sighed. "He called me daddy. Do I really deserve that title? Am I taking James place, I don't want to do that even though I hated the man. I just...I don't know..."

"Severus look at me and calm down. Harry lost his parents before he could really remember them. Him calling you daddy is not an act to replace them, but rather an act to put the final piece in the puzzle for what you have become. Even if it has been, a short time Harry has begun to look up to as a father figure and even if he doesn't know it consciously he loves you. He only calmed down to your touch and your words."

Severus placed his head in his hands again. "Can I really take care of him properly though? Am I cut out for this? I mean I am not a kind man. I yell at people and scowl if someone does something that slightly displeases me."

Smiling Pamela placed a gentle hand on the man's shoulder which was not shrugged off this time. "Severus every action you have taken screams that you love this boy dearly. I know you will take the best care of him as possible. Come on now and get changed before Harry comes out of the shower. I'll take care of the sheets."

Sighing Severus sat there for another moment before he made a move to get off Harry's bed. Pamela followed the man's example and stood up a moment after he did. She then waved her wand slightly, and the sheets on the bed were gone leaving the plastic cover sheet and mattress. They had anticipated that Harry might wet himself in his sleep. She then summoned a house elf and asked for clean sheets while Severus had drawn the privacy curtain around his bed so he could change into his spare pajamas.

The next moment Severus had emerged from the curtain and was headed towards the bathroom door with Harry's extra night clothes. Knocking softly on the door Severus entered when he heard the small confirmation that it was ok to enter. When he opened the door, he was grateful to see the shadow behind the curtain washing diligently. After that first night, it had become an ear of his that Harry would fall and hurt himself in the slippery tub. As he came in the room, he had placed the clothes on the sink and then had walked over to the shadow so he could better be heard by the boy over the noise of the water.

"Harry I left you your clothes on the sink. Is there anything else you need?"

"N...no I'm fine."

"Ok Harry. Just give me a call if you do need anything."

"Ok sir."

Inwardly Severus heaved a small sigh. He really wished that the boy would at least call him Severus. With that though Severus came out of the bathroom closing the door behind him. As soon as he did so he spotted Pamela making the bed by hand and went over to assist her.

Walking over to the other side of the bed Pam smiled at the man coming to help her. "Thank you Severus. I didn't want to bother the house elves too much this late at night. They need their sleep more than we do with all the work they accomplish in one day."

Severus just nodded and helped the woman pull the last blanket up to the top of the bed. With that done Severus cleared his throat.

"Thank you for all your help tonight Pamela. I think I can handle things from here though. If you could please tell Don what happened when he comes back from the Ministry though I would be grateful."

Slowly the Healer nodded. "How are you feeling though Severus? Are you still unwell?"

"I feel fine. The sleep and potions did their work, and I am perfectly well except for being a little tired."

"Ok then. If you get yourself sick again though I will not take the blame for it and will leave you to face the wrath of Don all by yourself."

Severus heaved a small sigh. "I understand."

Pamela nodded and quietly left the room as Severus came around to sit on his bed. A moment later Harry came out the bathroom shuffling his foot nervously. Again sighing slightly, Severus patted the place on the bed next to him.

"Come over here Harry and we'll have a small talk."

Slowly Harry came over and sat next to his Professor. He seemed uncomfortable though so Severus placed a hand on the two in the boy's lap to try to calm him.

"Look at me Harry."

When Harry looked up at Severus he continued. "Talk to me Harry. What is troubling you?"

"Do...do I really have to talk about it?"

Frowning slightly Severus shook his head. It must be something significant for Harry to be acting this way. He had talked about everything up until now, and this sudden silence did not bode well to the man. He would just push a bit more and if Harry still refused to talk he would reluctantly let it go for now. Maybe this could be something that Harry could only write down in his journal, but he really hoped not. He hated seeing his boy like this.

"No Harry, you don't have to tell me anything. It will help you feel better though, it is not good to hold things inside. That hurt and fear left alone can feaster and turn into a bigger hurt that can eat you from the inside out."

Harry suddenly lent into Severus's side. Slightly caught off guard Severus quickly recovered by gently placing a comforting arm around the boy's shoulders and stroking his hear back.

"My...my nightmare was...was about my parents..."

As Harry continued to tell Severus all about his nightmare, the man just kept a steady comforting hold on the child and when he broke down in tears after telling him that he was sorry for calling him daddy. The man just gently drew the child into his lap and held him tenderly.

"Listen to me Harry. You are not to blame for your parent's death, and I assure you they do not blame you one bit. Yes, they died protecting you, but that was their choice and not yours. They loved you so much, and they only want you to be happy, I can tell you that with certainty."

Harry just continued to sob into Severus's robes, but he did look up for a moment at the man with a glimmer of hope in his eyes. Savoring that sliver of hope Severus tried to continue as gently as possible.

"Let me tell you something Harry that I didn't think was real until just tonight. That night that I healed your wounds your mother payed a visit to me. She came to me in ghost form and told me many things. One was 'Tell him that I and James love him and that he needs to stop blaming himself for our deaths'. So please Harry stop blaming yourself for something that was out of your control. Your parents were targets for the dark lord before you were born and even if you were not there they would have still passed on."

Slowly and with tears in his eyes Harry looked up at Severus. "Mum...mum said that?"

"Yes Harry. Neither of them blame you and they want you to stop blaming yourself."

With that statement Harry wrapped his arms around Severus's middle in a hug and carefully that man wrapped his arms around the child returning the hug. Gently as he could Severus tried to continue with his train of thought.

"As for calling me daddy, we still need to talk about that Harry."

The child in his arms tensed up at the mention of daddy, but still Severus continued. He couldn't drag this out any longer than he had to.

"I am quite touched that you did Harry. In private, if you wanted to you could continue to call me that and I wouldn't mind. In fact, I was going to talk to you about this tomorrow, but we can do this now I guess. I want to adopt you Harry. If you don't want to I can still just be your guardian that is fine, but I have come to love you as a son and want to make that final step if you agree. I do not want to replace your father, but would just like to fill in where he cannot."

Gently Severus let the boy move back from the hug and look him in the eyes. When the man saw, the tear tracks he silently conjured up a warm washcloth and began to dab away the evidence of the child's recent cry to hide his nervousness. He had just laid his heart out there for this child, and he hoped dearly that he would not regret his action.

"I...I...I..."

Slowly the man pulled the washcloth away from the child's face. "Yes Harry?"

Taking a breath Harry just gave a small nod Severus presumed that the boy was unable to speak because of all the emotions he was feeling. Emotions were getting the best of him as Severus saw small tears begin to form again in the boy's eyes and to his shame he felt that a few of his own were forming.

"Is that a yes Harry? Would you like to be my son?"

Again Harry gave a small nod before launching himself back into the man's arms. Severus held on tight to Harry as tears of his own started to fall down his face. His boy had said yes! He was going to be a father to the child he had come so deeply to care about! This very well could be the greatest moment in his life.

The two stayed like that for a while, just holding onto each other. When Severus felt the boy's grip loosen considerably though he pulled the boy back just so that he could see his face and smiled when he saw that the child had fallen asleep. Gently he maneuvered the child so that he was lying on the bed, and he laid down next to him. His child could sleep with him tonight. Pulling up the covers he smiled as the boy curled slightly tighter to him. Silently he wandlessly summoned Harry's small stuffed cat that had been left forgotten on his bed and gently pushed it into the boy's arms. He was rewarded with the child clutching it closer to his chest and snuggling a little closer to him He then noxed the lights and fell asleep next to Harry, but not before placing a small kiss on the boy's forehead, and whispering a small "I love you" into the boy's ear.

An hour or so later Don stood in the doorway smiling as he saw is two boy's snuggling together in bed. He never thought he would ever see a happy smile on Severus's face while that man was sleeping and was very pleased that he was seeing it now. Silently he took out his magical camera and took a few pictures to put in his picture book. When he was finished, he walked quietly over to the two on the bed and made sure they were both sleeping peacefully. Before he left assured, he silently placed a monitoring charm over the both of them just in case they should need him tonight. He then turned slightly a quietly left the way he had come in.