Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Early the next morning Severus's eyes slowly opened to a bight and beautiful day. Looking down he saw that his child was snuggled so that his head was buried deep into his chest. Smiling Severus reached down and stroked the boy's hair back from his face so he could see the peacefully sleeping face. He looked so innocent when he was sleeping.
Questioning
Early the next morning Severus's eyes slowly opened to a bight and beautiful day. Looking down he saw that his child was snuggled so that his head was buried deep into his chest. Smiling Severus reached down and stroked the boy's hair back from his face so he could see the peacefully sleeping face. He looked so innocent when he was sleeping. The man then began to gently rub the boy's back in an attempt to wake him. If he were guessing correctly then, it was near eight in the morning, and he wanted to get Harry back home as soon as possible so he could contact Albus about the adoption. He was both excited, but also nervous and he didn't want to back out before anything was to start.

"It's time to wake up child."

Stirring slightly Harry snuggled deeper into Severus's chest. The man's smile grew slightly, and he let out a small content sigh as he moved his hand from Harry's back and gently started to shake the boy's shoulder.

"Come on child it's time for breakfast, and then we can go back home."

At the mention of food Harry pulled back from Severus's chest a little and looked up at the man with sleepy eyes. Smiling down at the sleepy face Severus ruffled the boy's hair.

"Good morning Harry."

"Good morning Professor."

Still smiling Severus heaved a small sigh. He knew it was going to take time before Harry felt comfortable calling anything but his formal title, but he had hoped that after last night Harry would at least feel comfortable calling by his first name. It seemed that he had only done such out of distress maybe?

"Harry do you remember what I told you last night?"

Blushing Harry looked down. "It's not my fault..."

"No Harry It's not your fault, but do you remember anything else?"

"I...I can call you...daddy?"

Severus hugged Harry a little closer to his chest. "Yes Harry, you can if you want to."

"I can?"

"Yes child."

Harry lowered his head and buried himself back into Severus's chest. "Daddy?"

Severus let a wide smile grace his face, he was so proud of his boy. "What is it Harry?"

"Are we going home today? I would like to go back to my room."

Smiling Severus looked down at the messy black mop of hair and stroked the few pieces away that kept obstructing his view of the child's face.

"We can go home after you eat some breakfast. Ok?"

Harry nodded his head as Severus slightly pulled Harry away from his chest and smiled at the small yawn that escaped Harry's mouth.

"Well, I don't think we can eat lying in bed like this. We should get up and get some food in your belly."

Again Harry nodded, but this time he reluctantly made a move to get up out of his warm spot. As Harry did so Severus sat up slightly and helped the child off the bed so he could pad over to the bathroom. The man then got out of bed himself and then turned to make the bed so the House elves would have one less thing to do today. When he was finished, he grabbed the clothing he had asked the house elves to bring him yesterday when Don had made it clear they were not leaving until the next morning and started to walk to the bathroom to give the child his clothing.

Just in the few moments that Severus had taken a few steps toward the bathroom Harry came out. The boy looked down at his feet as he walked towards the man who had stopped in his tracks waiting to see what the boy would do. Concerned by the way Harry was acting Severus knelt down so that he was down at Harry's level.

"What is it Harry?"

"I...I didn't make it..."

Just then Severus noticed the small wet patch and sighed inwardly. Gently Severus put a hand beneath Harry's chin and rose it so that the boy could look nowhere else.

"There is no need to be ashamed Harry. Accidents happen, and I'm glad you came to me for help. I have your change of clothing right here for you. Why don't you go and take a quick shower and get changed?"

Slowly Harry took his clothes from Severus's arms and nodded his head. Gently Severus rested a hand on the boy's shoulder and gave him an encouraging smile.

"I'll see you in a bit ok Harry?"

The boy nodded and then turned slightly to walk back to the bathroom to clean up. Severus watched the entire time the boy padded back to the restroom and when the boy closed the door the man let out a small sigh while he stood up from the floor. Tiredly he rubbed his face with his rough fingers and closed his eyes for a moment. Was he really cut out for this? Sighing the man sat back down on the bed and placed his clothing beside him.

Leaning in the doorway Don smiled as he came to sit down next to the man. As soon as he heard the small tinkling in his ear warning him that the two had awoken he had walked quickly to the boy's room wanting to be there when they woke. He had just watched though as Severus had taken care of Harry and was deeply touched to hear the small daddy from the boy. It seemed as though Pam was right, and the boy had had a small break through last night.

"Hi Severus."

Looking over to the man Severus nodded his head in greeting. "Good morning."

"Pamela told me what happened last night. How are you doing?"

Looking over at Don Severus shrugged his shoulders and then looked back down at his lap. "Fine I guess, but can I really do this? Am I the right person?"

"Severus stop it and look at me!"

Slowly Severus did as Don told him and looked over at the Healer. When he saw the determination burning in Don's eyes though he flinched a little and looked back down. He knew that look, by the end of this talk he would be agreeing to anything Don said.

As Severus looked back down to his lap Don reached out and grabbed the man's chin so that he had no choice but to look at him.

"No Severus, you're not running from this child. He needs you too much for you to do that to him. I know you are scared that you are going to mess up, and I'm sure you will at one point, we all do, but Albus and I will there to help you make everything right again. None of us are perfect, but you are the perfect person for that child in there. He loves you and I can clearly see that you love him. I know that the moment you saw this child hurt you wanted to do whatever you cold to protect him, just follow that instinct. It has never seared you wrong before."

Don released the man's chin when he saw the slight nod and heard the slight whisper. "I won't run. You are right Don, as always."

Sighing Don nodded. "I know you are just saying that Severus, but please listen to me and come to me or Albus if you have any trouble. Ok?"

"I will."

"Good, now get dressed. If Harry comes out of the shower before you are ready, I'll go order breakfast with him."

Patting Severus on the arm Don got up off the bed and smiled at the man. Looking up at the Healer Severus nodded and stood up to put his robes on. Silently Don pulled closed the privacy curtains so Severus could dress without being embarrassed. He knew how much privacy meant to the man.

While Severus was dressing a wet haired boy emerged from the bathroom and blushed when he saw Don giving him a smile. Earlier out of the corner of his eye he saw Don watching them from the doorway while Severus was reassuring him, but he had decided to ignore that embarrassment just then. Now though Harry was feeling all the embarrassment from earlier rest on his shoulders.

Sensing the boy's nervousness and embarrassment Don came over to the boy and gently laid a hand on his shoulder.

"No need to be embarrassed Harry. Now let's go order some breakfast and surprise Severus. What would you like?"

Quietly Don led the boy out of the room to give Severus just a bit more privacy and space to think about what he had just been told. Severus had a history of running away when things either got tough or he became unfamiliar with the territory. That is what happened with that woman from last year. The poor man couldn't understand why a woman like that would find him so attractive and so he had run as fast as he could. Don had let him then but was now determined to not let Severus do that again. It would not only hurt Harry, but it would hurt Severus even more. Even if it had only been a few short days, the two had somehow formed a strong bond and to break that would be devastating.

With those thoughts cleared away Don smiled down at the shy boy in front of him who was still blushing. It amazed him how much alike Harry was to Severus when he was younger. Not in looks, but they had that same sweet nature. Harry's was much more pronounced than Severus's had been and still was, but still it was there.

"So Harry, what would you like for breakfast? Anything special?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders.

Sighing a bit Don patted the boy on the shoulder. "Ok then Harry. How about some grits, toast, eggs and fruit?"

Slowly the boy nodded his head. "That sounds really good!"

With a smile Don called a house elf and ordered their meal. When the house elf popped back with two trays, Don silently handed one of the trays to Harry. As the elf disappeared Don smiled down at the boy. Gently he placed a hand on the child's shoulder and led him into the room where the two had been staying.

When they entered, the room Harry saw Severus sitting on his bed smiling at him. Gently the man patted the spot next to him on the bed and gestured for Harry to come and sit next to him.

"Come have a seat Harry and we'll eat together."

Nodding Harry came over with the tray and sat down next to Severus. Don came closely behind him and carefully placed the tray he was carrying on Severus's lap while he pulled three potions from his robe pocket. First, he handed one potion to Severus and then the other two to Harry.

"Drink up boys and then I want to see all this food disappear. Is that clear?"

Both nodded and Severus gave the Healer a small scowl as he downed the potion. Harry just simply did as Don told him and after drinking the whole glass of milk started to down his food. Smirking Don looked at Severus who was still scowling at him.

"See Severus, why can't you be more agreeable like Harry here?"

Harry looked up and blushed at hearing his name. Looking between both the scowling man and the smiling Healer he didn't know what to think or how he should feel. It seemed that Don was enjoying annoying his Professor and was his new daddy mad at him?

Don noticed the disappearance of the small clank against the ceramic plate so he looked over to see what the matter was and saw Harry nervously glancing between the two. Quickly he sent a significant look to Severus and gestured with his head to the small child next to him. He wanted Severus to soothe the boy's nerves; it was good for him to bond with the child. As soon as Severus saw the slight nod he looked over at Harry and sighed at the sight of the small nervous boy. Gently he placed a hand on Harry's shoulder so that he would look up into his concerned eyes.

"What is it Harry?"

"I'm sorry..."

"For what Harry?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders and looked down. Sighing slightly Severus placed his tray of food beside him on the bed. He then gently turned Harry slightly so that Harry was looking at him.

"Did what Don say bother you? Is that what this is all about?"

Slowly Harry nodded his head.

"You know Harry Don was just teasing me. He wasn't saying anything negative about either of us; he was just joking Harry."

Slyly Harry shot a glance at Don who was just simply nodding ad smiling at the child. Even though it was, a quick glance Don saw it and was glad that the child had that courage to look over at him. Gently the Healer reached over and placed a hand on Severus's which was still residing on the child's shoulder.

"Severus is right Harry. I was just teasing."

Harry nodded. "So...you don't want Severus to be more like me?" The boy shot an anxious look over at his Professor.

Don removed his hand and sat on the other side of Harry. "Severus will always be who he is and even if I wish at times he would be more compliant I would not wish him to change one bit. Just as I would never wish for you to change from the sweet child, you are."

Slowly Harry nodded as Don patted him on the leg and Severus retook his food onto his lap.

"Now eat up Harry so we can go home."

Looking back over to Severus he nodded again and picked his fork back up so that he could continue to eat. When Don saw, Harry resume eating he sent a silent stern look over to Severus, and the man began to eat as well.

When they were both finished with their meal Don asked a house elf to clear away their trays and Severus took Harry into his lap giving him a small hug as he did.

"Is there anything you would like to do when we go home Harry?"

Slowly the boy gave a small nod. "Can we look at that other photo book?

"That sounds wonderful Harry and then we can talk about some things."

As Severus said that he gave a significant look over at Don who nodded. The Healer predicted that Severus would be calling his later tonight. Before Severus officially adopted Harry, they both knew that Severus was going to have to tell the child more about his past. The man had been dreading this for fear that Harry would reject him once he found out, but the boy had to know what he was getting himself into.

Giving the child one last squeeze he unwrapped his arms and let the child hop down from his perch. Severus then stood up and took the offered potion Don was handing him and then handed it to the child uncorking it as he did.

"A stomach soother Harry for going through the floo. Drink it quickly and then help me pack away all our things so we don't forget anything."

Harry gave a quick nod and drank down the potion Severus handed him. When the whole vial was gone, Harry padded over to his bed and started to put away his things in a backpack Severus had placed on the bed for him while they were out in the hall ordering breakfast.

Severus smiled at the fast moving boy and then set to work packing his own belongings except for the small black kneezle that was still on his bed from last night. The small toy he held in his arms until Harry looked back at him. As the boy came nearer with his small bag of things Severus handed the small stuffed toy to the boy and laid a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Come on Harry, time to go now. Don will later stop by to see how we are faring. Ok?"

Harry gave a small nod and let the older man lead him down the hallway. With a few quick goodbyes to Don, the two went through the floo and back home.

When they arrived back in Severus's quarters it only took a few minutes for Harry to recover from their journey. It seemed with every time they went though the floo his body adjusted to the weird squeezing feeling. Not that he didn't stumble upon landing causing Severus to have to catch him, but he was getting better at it.

As soon as Severus was sure Harry was fine from the trip he told him to go to his room and unpack his things and to make himself home. He would come in with the photo album in a bit, and they could look over it together. Meanwhile, he had to contact Albus before he lost his nerve to ask him for help with the adoption.

Before Severus made another move towards the floo, he watched as Harry retreated to his room. When he was sure the boy was inside safe and sound, he turned and threw the powder in the floo to call the Headmaster. In just a few seconds, Albus's face appeared before Severus as he looked through the floo into the man's office.

"God morning my boy! What do I owe this visit too? Is everything alright?"

As Albus asked his last question his face grew a concerned look and Severus let out a small sigh. He really hated it when Albus did this. He would be all happy one minute and then when you didn't answer fast enough, not that he gave you a chance, he would become worried. The man really could be annoying at times.

"Yes everything is fine Albus; I just have a question for you."

The features on the old man's face softened hearing that both his boys were fine. "What would you like me to do my boy?"

Taking a deep breath Severus continued with his head lowered in embarrassment. "Could you help me adopt Harry?"

Eyes sparkling with glee and mischief Albus happily nodded. "I take it the trip to the clinic did you both some good then? May I step through and you can fill me in on last nights happenings?"

Slightly Severus shook his head. "I'm sorry Albus that will have to wait until later. Harry is expecting me and my photo album in his room. I don't want to make him wait."

Softly smiling Albus gave a small nod. "I understand my dear boy. I'll start with the paperwork, and I'll visit you two later. Call me if you need anything."

Severus nodded and Albus's head disappeared from the fireplace. Standing up and brushing the ashes off of his robes Severus heaved a small sigh and grabbed the photo book he wanted to show Harry. Then, turning he started to walk to Harry's room. He was not really looking forward to this conversation.

Knocking on the door frame Severus smiled when he saw Harry look up from finishing putting away his clothing. Folding one more shirt and placing it in the draw he closed it and walked over to sit down next to his guardian who was now sitting on the bed. As the boy sat down Severus pulled over the small kneezle plushy and sat it in the boy's lap, he might need that little bit of extra comfort for this. He knew he would if the roles were reversed.

Smiling at the child who had pressed his body close to his side he gently ruffled that messy mop of hair. It seemed the haircut had done little to calm down it's messiness. Maybe he could create a potion that would help the mop of hair to calm down, something to ponder later. Pushing that thought away Severus placed the album where the two of them could see it best, right in between them.

Looking at the cover sadly Severus then looked over at the boy and started to explain the photo that was on the cover.

"This is me when I was thirteen. Your mothers parents practically took me in that summer. My father he always liked to drink, but that year my mother encouraged me to stay out of the house more. I'm assuming it was getting worse. It was one of the best summers I can remember though. I was a Evens in all, but name."

Severus then opened the album and began to explain his life from the pictures. He had placed the photos in chronological order for a reason.

"You see this is when I turned fourteen. Your mother planned a surprise party for me. If you want, I'll share that pensive memory with you sometime. I think you would enjoy seeing that. Then this is in our fourth year. That year was hard for me. I spent Christmas break at school as I did every year, but I received a letter from my father on Christmas Eve. The only one I ever receive from him. It was a letter informing me that my mother had passed. I knew she had been sick, but never to that point."

Severus looked down at the small child and wrapped his arm around the boy's shoulder. In turn the boy leaned more heavily into Severus as if he was trying to give more comfort then receive it. First smiling down at the boy Severus took a deep breath and continued as calmly as he possibly could. This was not an easy subject of his, he really hated his past.

"I took her death hard. I stopped eating, and it seemed nothing Lily said or did would help me feel better. It got to the point where I finally collapsed in the hallway from hunger and exhaustion. That is when I met Don, Albus called him to help me get better. When Don was helping me heal from my grief he heard about my home life and told Albus what had been happening. I had kept my mothers passing to myself and everything else for fear of being pitied. Ever since I have lived with with the Headmaster. He took me from my home and gave me something that I can never properly thank him for. I hope that is ok with you Harry? Spending the holidays and summers with your Headmaster."

Severus looked down at the child who had leaned further into his side and had rested his head on his chest. Slowly the boy nodded.

"Don told me you lived with the Headmaster. He said that he was already preparing my room for Christmas break."

Smiling down at the boy Severus nodded knowingly. That Healer always knew the right things to say at the right time. He had just wanted to make sure that Harry was ok with their arrangement. Sighing Severus turned the page to some photo's of when he was in his fifth year. This was what he had been dreading.

"This is me in my fifth year. I was very angry that year. The pain of loosing my mother was still very fresh, and these bullies would not leave me alone. About halfway though the year, those boys humiliated me where everyone could see. Lily...Lily tried to calm me down, but as I said I was a very angry boy right then. I snapped at her in anger and called her a name, a horrible name, and she would not accept my apology after I realized what I had done."

As much as he hated James Potter he just could not tell his child what the man had done. Every child deserved to look up to their father as if they were a god, he just didn't have it in his heart to ruin that image for Harry. As Severus looked down at the boy waiting for the backlash he gently began to rub Harry's back in a calming manner.

"What...what did you call her?"

Severus paused for a moment and carefully drew the boy onto his lap. Gently he wrapped both arms around the child and rested his chin on his head. He wanted to make the most of this before Harry became mad at him and pushed him away. He needed that moment to feel his child one last time. For he knew that as soon as this all came out Harry would hate him and not want to be near him ever again.

"I called her a mudblood."

Severus had to wait an agonizing moment before he received a small nod. "You...you tried to apologize?"

"I did Harry, but you see your mum was a very prideful woman and it took her a long time to forgive someone. At the time, I didn't know that and losing my only friend pushed me over the edge. She did eventually accept my apology, but that was years later and it was actually you who made that possible. She put aside her grudge so that I could come and see you when you were born."

Severus pulled back a bit as Harry moved to look up into his face. "What...what do you mean by that?"

"Well Harry, we all make mistakes in our life. I unfortunately made the worst mistake you ever can. I joined the Death Eaters."

Harry stilled and looked at the man in shock and a little fear. "You're...you're a Death Eater?"

"That's complicated Harry. For a while, I was there. I left Albus's home, and I lived with Lucius Malfoy until I realized what we were doing. I was blinded with hurt, guilt and grief. When I did see the whole picture, I came back to Albus, and he took me in again. I became a spy for the light and was no longer a follower of the dark. I am no longer a Death Eater, but I would understand if you rather not stay with me anymore. If you want I can call Albus so you can speak with someone."

Harry pulled away for a moment and looked up at Severus. "Could...could I speak with the Headmaster?"

Severus heaved a small sigh. "Yes Harry, I can go get him right now if you want."

Slowly the boy nodded. "If...if you don't mind."

"No Harry I do not. Here hold onto Shadow and I'll bring the Headmaster in a minute."

Severus then picked Harry up by the armpits and placed him so that he was sitting on his own on the bed hugging his small stuffed creature. The man moved to the door swiftly wanting to get this over with. He had just lost his child, because of what his past. He had feared that this was going to happen and now it was. How stupid of him for even thinking that Harry might accept him, he was a monster. He had done horrible things, unforgivable things. What child would want him as a father?

Hurting Severus walked to the floo and called Albus to ask him to come through. The Headmaster immediately did when he saw the distress written all over the man's face. The old man was concerned and as soon as he came through the floo he approached Severus and placed a gentle and on the man's cheek and gave him a worried look.

"What is it Severus?"

Severus lent into the touch and closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them he started to tell Albus what he had told Harry and how Harry had reacted.

"Severus...Harry is processing all that information you threw at him. He needed to know, but he is understandably needs time to digest everything and talk to someone else. It is a good sign that he asked to speak with me it shows that he wants answers and is seeking comfort. Just let me speak with him Severus and then you will see everything will be alright."

Severus nodded and let the older man lead him over to the couch so he could sit down. Before he left to speak with Harry, he sat down beside Severus.

"Do you want me to call Don for you?"

"No I will be ok, just please speak with Harry. I can't lose him..."

Albus got up off the couch. "...and you will not." With that Albus went over to Harry's door and gently knocked on the door frame to get Harry's attention. When the wizard saw the boy's nervous eyes look up at him, he heaved a small silent sigh and came in to the room and draw the child onto his lap.

"You wanted to talk to me child?"

Slowly Harry nodded. "Is...is what daddy said was true?"

Albus smiled at the name Harry had called Severus and gave a small nod. As of yet he had not been informed on this development. No wonder Severus could not bare to lose this child.

"Yes Harry, everything he said is true. I am sure he never mentioned how brave he was and still is when he spies though. You know Harry; your daddy is one of the bravest men I know. I don' think I would be able to do what he does on a daily basis."

Slowly Harry nodded. "No...he didn't...is he mad at me? ….for asking, to speak with you?"

Shaking his head Albus soothingly rubbed the boy's back in a calming manner. "No Harry. He was worried though that you might not want to stay with him. Do you want to go live with someone else?"

Violently Harry shook his head causing Albus chuckle a little. "I'll take that as a no then?"

"No, I don't want to go anywhere else...I just...I'm a little scared..."

"Why are you scared Harry?"

"What if he gets hurt? What if I lose him too? I've lost everyone else...I just...I don't want to lose him too."

Harry silently burrowed his head into Albus's robes and small sobs racked his tiny frame. As gently as he could Albus wrapped his arms around the child while whispering in his ear.

"I promise Harry I will do everything in my power so that will not happen. Shhhh Calm down now, everything is ok."

Just then Severus had come in the room unable to keep away any longer when he had heard the muffled sobs of his child. Spotting the child in Albus's arms Severus shot the man a questioning glance, not really sure what was going on.

When the old wizard spotted Severus and his glance, he got up off the bed with the boy in his arms and carefully handed off the child to the man in black. Harry smelling the familiar spices and felt the heart beat beneath his ear relaxed slightly, but still could not bare the thought of loosing his daddy.

Still looking questioningly at Albus Severus hiked the child up so that he could have a better grip on the boy. He was somewhat surprised when Harry held on tighter to him as if he was afraid that he was going to leave at any moment. Smiling Albus placed a calming hand on Severus's shoulder.

"Harry here was afraid he was going to lose you. Maybe, it is time for you to quit your spying duties. You have paid your dues, it's time for you to have some happiness in your life."

Hugging the child a little closer to him Severus gave a swift nod. He wanted to help the light as much as he could to atone for his past, but he knew if he was going to be there for Harry he was going to have to help in other ways now. He could not put his life on the line anymore, someone depended on him.

"Shhh Harry it's ok. I'm right here child and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."

Slowly, but surly Harry's cries slowed down to just soft sniffles. While Harry had been calming down, Severus had retaken his seat on the bed so that he could accommodate Harry's weight accordingly. Pretty soon he was not going to be able to pick Harry up like that without the aid of a feather light charm. Thankfully it seemed that the nutrient potions were doing their job.

When the boy's tears had faded completely Albus had conjured up the warm washcloth and had taken over wiping away the tears and tear stains.

"See Harry, Severus is not going anywhere. He will be here for you whenever you need him."

Slowly Harry nodded and let his Headmaster dry his tears. When the older wizard was finished Severus re-situated Harry so that he was more sitting on his lap then laying in it.

"There is one more thing we need to talk abut Harry. We need to talk about potion class."

Harry tensed at the new subject, but Severus quickly began to rub soothing circles on his back and Albus had placed his hand on the boy's shoulder sending a touch of calming magic into him. Just a precaution.

"It's ok Harry. I just want you to know that I'm unfortunately going to have to continue to treat you the way I have for this past year. I am still head of Slytherian house and if I suddenly started to treat you differently it could put both our lives in danger. I can pretend that my interest has strayed from the Dark Lord, but if I start to treat you kindly people could become suspicious of our relationship, and I don't want you in any danger."

Harry nodded a little. "Does that mean I can't tell anyone that you're going to adopt me?"

Severus let out a small sigh. "You can tell your friend's Harry and the Weasleys will know as well as the staff here, but no you cannot tell anyone else. It could risk your life. I also want you to know and understand that anything I say in class that hurts your feelings does not reflect how I really feel. None of those words are real; it's just an act. Do you understand?"

Again, the child nodded and looked shyly over at Albus.

"Thank you Headmaster for...well..."

Patting Harry on the arm Albus gave a small smile. "It's nothing Harry. I'm here for you whenever you need me just like Don, Severus and all the other teachers here. Now why don't I go finish up those adoption papers while you two finish that photo book. I believe that there are happier photos in there of you in there."

Severus nodded as he brought the photo book back out to place it in front of both him and Harry. Albus took the silent cue to leave and gave the two a gentle smile as he left the room.

Before Severus began to show more photos to Harry though, he brushed the hair away from Harry's face and looked down into his face to make sure he really was alright. When he was sure the child had calmed, and reassured himself that Harry truly did not want to leave him for what he was he looked back down at the book.

He had been so worried that Harry would ask Albus if someone else could take him in and had convinced himself in that short amount of time that it was probably for the best. As soon as he had heard the small sobs though, even though they were almost silent to anyone else, he had somehow developed a sixth sense to when Harry was hurting, he had rushed to the room to see what the matter was. When Albus had told him why Harry was so upset though, he was half shocked that Harry really did care about him, and half touched that his boy cared that much. His boy really did love him just as e loved his boy.

Turning to where the had left off Severus showed the child pictures of his sixth and seventh years at Hogwarts that were somewhat happy except for James and the other Marauders. Albus had taken him under his wing more so then before and had even helped him through the rough nights after meetings. It had been hard with school though he was shunned by Lily, his one friend and her family didn't want to see him again. She never told them that he was a Death Eater just that he had done horrible things and just like that a family that had always loved him dropped him as if he were nothing. That had hurt more than anything. The Headmaster, Albus had made things bearable though, and had somehow made his life livable.

As Harry looked down at the photo's Severus held tightly onto the child, he didn't want to lose him ever again. That had been too close of a call for him even if he had misinterpreted why Harry had asked to see Albus.

Putting that all behind him for now Severus turned to yet another page. These were pictures of Severus and Albus after the war when he had had somewhat of a peaceful life. For ten years, he had actually lived a life and maybe with Harry in his life he would get to live an even fuller one in the future. Maybe he could finally be truly happy.

The two continued with that photo Album for another hour until they had looked at every single photo, even the few Albus had stuck in there of Harry when they weren't looking. When the book closed Severus cast a small tempus charm to see what time it was and was surprised to see it was time for some lunch.

"Are you hungry son?"

Slowly Harry gave a small nod. "Yes daddy. Could we eat in the hall?"

"We can. Do you think you're ready for that? You know we can't sit together?"

Snuggling back into Severus Harry gave another nod. "I would like to see my friends."

"Ok then Harry. Are you ready to go up then or would you like a few moments?"

"Can we walk together?"

"I don't see why not I can cast a not notice me spell, but we will have to enter the hall separately."

Slowly Harry gave his small nod and made to get off of Severus's lap. The man helped the child and then swiftly went over to Harry's closet and took out one of the jumpers.

"You might get chilly Harry, and I don't want you to catch a cold."

Harry accepted the sweater and put it on with a little help from Severus. Somehow he put his head halfway through a sleeve causing a smile from Severus as he helped the child right the article of clothing. When it was all straightened out Severus gently placed a hand on the child's back and guided him out of their rooms and into the hallway.

The walk was quiet, but it was a nice silence not an awkward one. Before they reached the front doors to the hall though, Severus turned to Harry and gave him a soft but stern look.

"Remember to drink all your milk before you eat anything and if you start to feel uncomfortable just look up at me or call me with your pendent and we will get you out of there as soon as possible. Ok?"

Harry looked up at his Professor and nodded just as Minerva came around the corner shaking her head and smiling.

"My Severus you sound like a mother hen already. Harry will be fine. Let the child go see his friends."

The boy looked hopefully up at Severus, and the man gave a slight nod. "Go on Harry, I will be in in a few minutes. If you want after lunch, we can head back down to our rooms, or you can go with your friends. Either way is fine with me, just remember to be back home before curfew and don't walk alone. Have a friend come with you."

Slowly Harry nodded before he gave the man a quick hug. "I just want to have lunch with them, nothing more."

"Ok then Harry. If you change your mind though let me know."

Tightening his hug for a moment Harry nodded. He then let go and started to head to the front doors of the hall. As soon as Severus saw the boy disappear he turned to look at Minerva sending a small glare her way.

"I resent that statement. I am not a mother hen, that title belongs to Mrs. Weasley and no one else."

Minerva smiled knowingly. "Sure Severus. It's nice to see you so caring though. I wish you would show this side more often."

"You know I cannot do that. I have a reputation to keep, now I believe a sufficient amount of time has passed and we can enter without any suspicion."

The witch sighed, but nodded. She knew that Severus was putting up his mask as they spoke, but hated that the man had to do so. Before the man could enter the hall though, she placed a hand on the man's shoulder.

"May I ask you a question first?"

Rolling his eyes Severus nodded and crossing his arms over his chest. "What now?"

"I never received word of Harry's sleeping arrangements. Will he be in the dorms or down in your rooms? I need to know for head count."

"For now he will be down with me. I'm hoping that he quickly starts to feel comfortable going back to his dorms though, and visits on the weekends. I have to admit that when that time comes I'm going to miss his presence."

Minerva removed her hand, but not before giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "Come on then, let's go get something to eat. Albus has your potion up at the staff table."

Severus nodded and they both entered the hall one with a neutral look on her face and the other throwing his trademark scowl at the Gryffindor table, but noticeably none of those scowls were directed towards one small raven haired boy.

When the two arrived at the head table it was to a table full of smiles. Scowling Severus turned to the Headmaster who he knew had spilled the beans to the rest of the staff. It was quite obvious by the smiles that were being directed his way. Why the old meddling coot had to meddle in his affaires never ceased to annoy him. As he sat in his seat next to Albus he continued to send glares the man's way even when Albus gently placed his potion before his plate.

"Before you ask, the papers are going well. It's going to take longer then guardianship, but I would say this will take no longer then a week."

Severus nodded his glare fading thanks to the subject. "Thank you Albus."

The Headmaster gently placed a hand on Severus's that was toying with his fork. "Drink your potion Severus and then serve yourself up."

Severus did as the Headmaster told him to and the rest of lunch passed smoothly. Harry was happily sitting with his friends who were sending glares and hexes to anyone who came too close to their friend and the rest of the staff, much to Severus's displeasure, were seeing the man in a new light. No longer was Severus the greasy bat of the dungeons, but an ex spy for the light.