Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
In the middle of the night Harry woke up with a start. The alarm Severus casted did not warn Severus to Harry awaking mainly because he did not awake in distress. Clearly there was a flaw in the spell.
The Chamber
In the middle of the night Harry woke up with a start. The alarm Severus casted did not warn Severus to Harry awaking mainly because he did not awake in distress. Clearly there was a flaw in the spell. Sleepily Harry sat up in bed and somewhat in a trance he swung his legs off the side of the bed. Somehow, something was drawing him to his school bag. Getting off the bed Harry went over to the desk to where he had haphazardly thrown his school bag and started to dig inside looking for the object that was calling to him.

When Harry found the journal, he walked back to his bed and sat down with it in his lap. Curiosity getting the better of him he opened up the journal and saw that it was nothing, but a blank book. He flipped it to the first page and then all the way to the back of the book and saw nothing was written. Shrugging his shoulders Harry started to put down the book, but the pull became so strong that Harry found he could not.

The book wanted him to write something in it. How he knew this he had no idea, but it was like a small voice in his head telling him that he must write something. Not being able to banish the idea of writing in the book Harry got off his bed again and went over to his desk.

Setting the book down on the desk Harry pulled out a quill and ink and opened to the first page. Not really knowing what exactly to write Harry jotted down, "Hello, my name is Harry Potter."

To Harry's surprise his ink faded into the journal and a set of curly letters appeared to replace what he had written. "Hi Harry, I'm Tom Riddle." After he read what it said, the words slowly disappeared back into the page.

Harry put his quill down on the desk in pure shock. His other journal did not write back to him so how could this one? He knew it must be magic, but still it was surreal even with that in mind.

Shortly he thought of going to Severus to ask him about it, but then remembered how late it was and how tired the man had been looked. He didn't want to bother his new daddy, he didn't want Severus to think him too much trouble and send him back to the Dursleys. Sure the man had said he never would send him back to his family, but everybody lied about something and he didn't want to risk it.

Before another thought popped in the young boy's mind about fetching someone, another curly script appeared before his eyes on the page of the journal. "Are you a student at Hogwarts?"

Slowly Harry nodded, but then realized that the journal could not see him nodding so he picked up his quill and wrote in the neatest letters he could. "Yes, I am. Are you a student too? What house are you in? I'm in Gryffindor."

As his ink slowly disappeared into the page of the book Harry had a sudden strong desire to know more about the person he was writing to. It was almost like a compulsion charm. Quickly, but not fast enough for Harry, new writing appeared on the page. "I was a student a long time ago. The reason I ask is, I know something terrible is going to happen tonight, and I was hoping for a brave young boy to find me so that we could put a stop to it."

Harry's eyebrows rose into his hairline as he read that. Someone wanted his help? That though soon vanished though, and Harry's natural bravery kicked in. Someone apparently was in trouble and needed his help.

Without further thought Harry jotted down, "What can I do to help?"

Twenty minutes Harry found himself going through the sinks in the girl's third floor bathroom and climbing down a long tunnel with the strange journal in his hand. Tom had told him the Ginny Weasley had come down here a few hours ago searching for something she had lost and had gotten lost herself. If she were to stay down here too long, she could get lost even further in the maze of tunnels. Tom had told him exactly where to go though, and how to get out so Harry knew he could help Ginny out. He didn't want her to get in trouble or get hurt.

Trudging through the tunnels with the diary clutched close to his chest Harry periodically would stop and write where he was with Tom replying to him almost intently telling him what turns to make. In the back of his mind Harry started to wonder if Tom really was helping him through the tunnels though for it seemed that the deeper they got the more lost he became, but then quickly shrugged that thought away as he thought of Ginny lost down there all by herself. He just had to help her.

As Harry was wondering down under the school in the tunnels, Albus Dumbledore was quickly gathering all the Professors to help search for a missing girl. Normally, just the Headmaster and Head of House would search for the wayward student, but now with the information of the chamber being opened again they were taking every precaution until they could safely get all the student's home.

They didn't want to alarm the students or parents to any danger, specially the muggle borns, so he had made up the story about the wards needing to be worked on next week. He hated to wait that long to get all the students to safety, but if he sent everyone home earlier surely there would be a panic.

So Albus had sent off all the other Professors to search for the child around the castle and had left waking up Severus for last. He flooed down to the man's room regretting that he had to wake man up after the day that he had, but he really had no other choice. They needed every pair of ears and eyes looking; he did not want what had happened fifty years ago happening ever again. Quietly he knocked on the man's bedroom door and frowned a little when he received no answer. When he tried again with the same result Albus ignored the fact that he was barging into the man's bedroom in the middle of the night and entered.

Quickly the man walked over to the bed and started to shake Severus's shoulder gently.

"Severus, you need to wake up. Come on Severus."

Slowly Severus's eyes opened up and were looking at Albus with a confused look. Then, Albus sadly recognized the look of panic in the man's eyes.

"Harry? Is there something wrong with Harry?"

"No child, Harry is fine. I need your help. Ginny Weasley has gone missing, and I need your help finding her."

The Headmaster might have sounded calm and collected, but the worry clearly crept through to the man's eyes. Seeing the worry there Severus sat up in bed and nodded. Although he hated being woken up in the middle of the night like this, it was far better than finding a child who had been petrified or worse.

"Let me put something on and check on Harry. I will be the Great Hall in a moment."

Albus nodded. "I will wait for you in the living room. I don't think anyone should wonder by themselves just now. I split everyone else up in teams to search."

"Ok Albus, give me a moment then."

Again, Albus nodded while he quickly left the room shutting the door behind him. Not a moment later Severus emerged from his room dressed in his teaching robes and went quickly over to Harry's room.

Opening the door all the way and crossing to the bed Severus was alarmed to find no child in bed.

"Harry!"

Hearing Severus exclamation Albus came in the room and closed his eyes when he saw the empty bed. Now, they had two missing children to search for.

"Severus, did you place an alarm on Harry last night?"

"Yes I did Albus; it would allow me to know whether he awoke. It never went off though. Do you think he left our rooms? Could he be hiding?"

Albus shook his head. "I'm not sure Severus."

In the next moment Severus drew his wand and shouted. "Point me Harry"

No response came from his wand. So Severus knew that Harry was indeed not anywhere in his quarters. If he had been then, the wand would have pointed them right towards the boy.

Albus watched as Severus visibility fell apart before his eyes. His knees buckled, and soon he was on the floor. The Headmaster sighed and quickly went over to the man; they didn't have time for this. Two children were now out wandering the halls when this dangerous creature was out there somewhere.

As soon as Albus reached Severus he placed a hand around the pendent that rested on Severus's neck and called for Don.

"Calm down Severus and help me find Harry. We do not have time for this."

Severus took a shaky breath, but nodded and collected himself up off the floor.

"Ok Albus where do you need me to look?"

"Every part of the castle is being searched except for the third floor. Don is coming in a moment, and then we can start searching, ok? We will find Harry, and he will be fine."

Severus gave a small shaky nod. His child was missing from his bed; something dreadful could have happened to him.

In the next moment Don entered the room in a hurry.

"What is the matter?"

Albus calmly explained to Don what was happening while Severus just looked out into the distance with slightly glassy eyes. When the Healer looked over to the man, he sighed and placed a steady hand on each of his shoulders. Slowly he started to send calming magic into the man to get him ready to help in the search. While he did so Albus sent the man a grateful nod and sent a patronus to the other teachers letting them know of this latest development.

A moment later though Don's calming magic had taken effect and all three of them were headed to the third floor to look for the missing children.

Meanwhile under the third floor bathroom Harry was still wandering through passageways and being guided by that diary. That is until the last passageway he walked through entered into a large cave like room. There was Ginny sprawled out on the floor with what looked like blood around her head.

Quickly he rushed through the room throwing the book as he kneeled down next to his best friends little sister.

"Ginny!"

The girl made no move to indicate that she had heard him so very gently he shook her shoulder, but still he received no response. Before he could make another move though, the book to his right opened and pages began to flip around as if a very fast breeze had come through the cavern.

Distracted by the books obvious display of magic Harry was surprised when he felt an intense pain come from his scar and felt blood start to soak the bandage that still rested there. Quickly his hand shot up to rest on the now throbbing scar on his forehead.

Through the pain and now the blood that was dripping down his face he saw that somehow with magic a figure of a boy was now coming out of the journal.

Brushing off his robes the boy who looked to be about sixteen stood up and gave Harry a smile that made the boy cringe. It was one of those smiles that a creep on a bus would give you, one that sent chills down your spine because you knew that they did not have good intentions.

"Harry Potter, what a pleasure to meet you."

Still kneeling next to Ginny Harry lowered his hand from his scar down to hover over his wand in case he needed to pull it out.

"W...who are you?"

That smirk that gave Harry chills stayed firmly planted on the boy's face as he spoke. "Why I am Tom Riddle. I am the one who led you here, and being the Gryffindor you are you blindly followed me."

Harry slowly got up off the ground with his wand now in hand. "What do you want with us?"

The boy let out a bark of laughter as he appraised the small boy in front of him.

"You really don't know who I am do you? The puzzle pieces just don't seem to fit for you do they? Then let me spell it out for you.

You see somehow my journal landed in this blood traders cauldron while they were out shopping for their books this summer. It was rather lucky for me, except that she kept droning on and on about how horrible it is being the youngest and only girl in the family. When she came here though it was easy to get her to do my bidding. Come down here, let out the Basilisk so that it could play in the castle.

I soon grew bored though, and knew I needed to be out into my rightful body again. So without further ado I entranced Ginny here to first drop me off into your book bag today when you came back to classes and then come down here where she would fall under the effects of a sleeping spell. A shame really that she hit her head. No matter though, her life force will soon become mine as you see I'm becoming more human by the moment."

Harry looked at the boy with his wand fully out now and pointing it at Tom. "What do you mean by her life force?"

"Oh Harry, Harry, Harry, you're quite dense aren't you?"

Tom held out his wand and in the air he wrote out his name, Tom Riddle.

"You see Harry while this may be my given name it is not a name I chose. I chose a different name and many people know me by that one, including you."

He then rearranged the letters so that they spelled out Voldemort.

"You are quite a naive little boy. So trusting to do what ever a book tells you to do. Guess I will have to teach you a sharp lesson."

Just then Harry heard something moving on the ground. It had to be something quite large, and it almost sounded as if it were slithering. As the noise stopped Harry saw the large scales of the beast as it came to rest behind Tom.

Harry might not know much about the magical world from his upbringing, but he had snuck off to read a mythology book in the library while he had been in primary school when he was trying to hide from Dudley. He knew exactly what this beast was, that picture in that book could almost have been a photograph. Carefully Harry looked up at Tom with the creature behind him; he knew not to look into that things eyes or else he could wind up dead.

"Care to fight my friend here? He is awfully hungry, I bet he could use a snack."

As Tom was talking he slowly turned around to stroke the giant snakes scales, but seemed disappointed when his hand just went through the thing.

Then in that strange language that still creeped Harry out Tom started to talk to the snake. "Don't worry my dear, soon I will be able to stroke your lovely scales. Why don't you have a little snack on this boy here. I'm sure he will taste wonderful. It's been a long time since you have tasted human flesh."

Even without looking at the Basilisk face Harry could just feel it perk up at the mention of having a snack. As he heard the thing get closer, Harry started to back up a little and talk in that strange language that Severus had told him was parseltongue. He tried with all his might to convince the snake that he was not good to eat, that he was not at all juicy and tender as it kept chanting.

Realizing that the snake was not going to listen to anything he tried to tell it Harry started to shoot off any spell he could think of. Quirrell hadn't taught much last year, but he had learned a stunner. Quirrell hadn't taught much last year, but he had learned a stunner. So he shot that at the Basilisk and was deeply troubled when it did not work. He shot off a few more spells that he thought could help his situation, but they all failed. Just when he had thought all hope was lost and that he and Ginny were going to die in this cave Fawkes, Dumbledore's Phoenix, flew in with the sorting hat in it's mouth.

As the glorious bird dropped the hat so that it would fall into Harry's hands it few over to the giant snake and with it's talons scratched the beasts eyes. While Fawkes was expertly blinding the creature Harry was pondering over why the bird had given him the sorting hat, but then he saw it. He saw the hilt of the Gryffindor sword sticking out. Quickly Harry grabbed the hilt and drew it out of the hat. Now what was he supposed to do?

Fawkes apparently satisfied with her job of blinding the Basilisk flew off to watch the rest of the event from a perch up high. Seeing the bird's departure Harry grabbed a better hold of the sword and pointed it towards the snake. All the while Harry could hear Tom jeering at him.

"Yes Potter you have a sword. Now, what are you going to do with it? Poke her?"

Harry just stood still until the snake came near though, and as soon as she moved in to strike Harry struck his sword into the beasts neck. Just as he did though one of the snake's fangs caught Harry in the arm and broke off there. As Harry stumbled back in pain, the Basilisk 's head fell to the ground with a mighty crash.

All the while Harry was only slightly aware of the figure who was cursing, ranting, and raving. He had only one thought in mind. It was the book that had caused all this trouble. The book had enchanted Ginny and had tricked him into coming down here. Everything tonight had happened because of that damn book.

So slowly Harry took the fang out of his arm and crawled over to were the book lay next to Ginny. Tom was still cursing Harry for defeating his beauty so he was unaware when a blinding pain hit his heart as Harry stabbed the fang deep within the pages.

The last thing Harry heard as he passed out was. "I will get you Harry Potter if it's the last thing I do!"

Back in the hospital wing Severus was sitting vigil by Harry's bed waiting for the boy to wake. Just minutes after Harry had fallen to the ground and Fawkes had healed the cut on Harry's arm with his tears. Severus had ran over to the prone boy and had scooped him up into his arms and had run as fast as he could to the hospital wing not really caring what had happened, but rather that his boy was obviously hurt. Don had followed shortly after with Ginny in his arms, but Albus had stayed behind so that he could at least try to figure out what had taken place in just one short hour.

When they had gotten to the hospital wing Poppy had quickly led the two over to two beds and both Healers had set to work healing the children. Ginny fortunately was not hurt that badly. On the scan Madam Pomfrey had found that Ginny's mind had been tampered with, and she had a concussion fro hitting her head, but other than that she just had a few scratched and bruises from where she had fallen. Harry on the other hand was a different story entirely.

He had the scratches and bruises from where he had fallen as well and is scar had burst open, but the most concerning injury was that cut from the fang on his arm. Fawlks had tried her best to rid the cut of the poison and heal it, but when they had done further scans it showed that the Phoenix had missed some of the deadly substance. The good news was that it was isolated in some fat tissue and had not hit the boy's veins or had gotten into his blood system. Even so they had to get the poison out of the boy's body entirely, if that stuff came anywhere near entering Harry's veins they were in deep trouble. Basilisk venom was one of the most poisonous in the wizarding world.

So they had come up with a plan, or rather Poppy and Don had come up with a plan while Severus just watched over his child. Don had cast a body bind on just the boy's arm so no harm would come to it, and they were going to wait for Harry to wake to transfer him to the clinic. They had to get the poison out, and it seemed that surgery was the best option.

To do that though they had to wait until Harry was awake and be told what was going on. They were going to have to give the child some strong sedation potions for the surgery, and they were too heavy to be magicked into the system, or to be swallowed unwillingly. Also, it was not a good idea to have Harry wake in an unfamiliar surrounding when his body had just gone through so much shock and was about to go though a bit more.

Gently Don had tried his best to unstick Severus from Harry's bedside, but he had failed every attempt he made. Severus was going to sit there weather anyone liked it or not. Finally giving up Don gave a worried look to Albus and then got up from the chair next to Severus.

Albus nodded in understanding and with a small sigh he went and sat down in the chair Don had just vacated. Gently Albus placed an arm around the man to try to give him all the comfort he could.

"How are you Severus? Can you talk to me?"

Severus just stared at the boy in front of him ignoring Albus completely. Sighing Albus gently began to rub soothing circles into the mans back.

"Come on Severus, now is not the time to close yourself off to the world. Harry is going to need a strong person to look up to, let us help you."

When no answer came, Albus sighed about ready to give up when a quiet whisper came from the body next to his.

"You are right Albus. I'm sorry for worrying you two."

Albus let a small smile grace his face as he continued to try to soothe the tension out of the man's shoulders. "That's my boy. Can you tell me what you're feeling?"

"Worried and scared, but at the same time I can't wait until he is well so that I can paddle his behind for scaring me so."

Letting the smile grow a little wider Albus chuckled and shook his head. "Now, you know the heartache you put me through all those years ago!"

Severus looked over at his mentor and squirmed a bit in his chair. "And I still remember all the sore behinds you gave me for doing so."

Albus nodded still smiling, but then he grew serious. "Remember to be gentle Severus and to get the whole story before you act. All we know is that somehow Harry snuck out of your rooms and ended up with Ginny Weasley under the third floor bathroom. When he got there Fawlks tells me he fought quite bravely and likely saved not only his own life, but Miss. Weasley's as well."

The man looked back down at the prone boy on the bed. "I heard you talking with Don. I just wish he didn't rush into danger head-on like a foolhardy Gryffindor. If he would have woken me up..."

Albus patted the man on the shoulder. "I know Severus. Much as you dislike it, you were and still are much the same. May I remind you of just last year when you jumped in front of a cauldron the was going to explode to save several students from some bad burns?"

Severus grimaced remembering that particular incident. The burns on his back had taken ages to fully heal. "I understand were you are going Albus."

"Then I need not go on?"

"No Albus, you made your point."

"Good. Will you get some rest now? Don over there will not get a moments peace watching you feating over Harry."

Severus closed his eyes for a moment and then leaned tiredly into Albus's side. "Do you promise to wake me when he does."

"Of course, my boy. You can sleep in the bed right next to him if you want."

Severus gave a tired nod and removed it from the older wizard.

"Come on then."

With that Albus helped the younger wizard up from his chair and over to the bed next to Harry's. As soon as Severus's head hit the pillow he was out like a light and all three still present in the hospital wing gave a sigh in relief. Now, they didn't have to worry about having Severus collapse out of pure exhaustion.

As soon as Severus was asleep Don set to work getting Harry set up to be transferred to the clinic as soon as he woke. While Don was busy talking to the clinic, Poppy had a brief conversation with Mrs. Weasley telling her of what they knew happened. As soon as the mother of seven heard that Ginny was in the hospital wing though she had ended the call and had stepped through immediately, not even stopping to inform her husband of where she was headed.

When the Weasley Monarch had come through the floo she had immediately rushed to where her daughter lay. After making sure her daughter would indeed be fine, she then looked up at the nurse and began to question her on what had happened. Before she could get out more than one question though, Poppy had put up a hand silencing her.

"Sit down Molly and I'll tell you everything we know."

So Molly reluctantly sat down in the chair by her daughter and vaguely noticed the two other occupants of the hospital wing. Poppy sat next to her and reached out to grab hold of the woman's hand. As gently as she could she told Molly what they knew had happened that night and that her daughter would need to see a Mind Healer to deal with the tampering.

"In time, she will be fine Molly."

"What about Harry and Professor Snape? Were they injured as well?"

Poppy sighed and gave a gentle squeeze to Molly's hand. "I cannot tell you exactly what has happened to them with my healer's oath, but I can tell you that Harry is to be transferred for surgery when he wakes up and Severus...will be ok."

Molly nodded in understanding. "Thank you for calling me Poppy. Can I do anything to help you? Remember, I have basic healers training."

The Healer gave the woman a small smile. "Just watch your daughter, she will be confused when she wakes up. Don is on his way back here so I have all the help I need. Do you want me to floo call Arthur to bring some clothes for you?"

Poppy gestured to the pajamas she still wore and gave a small smile. Molly blushed and gave a small nod.

"I'm sorry. I just never imagined my little girl ending up here. The twins, sure, they experiment too much, but my sweet Ginny..."

"I understand Molly. I'll be right back with Arthur. Ok?"

Molly nodded as Poppy gave her hand one final squeeze. The healer then got up from her chair and walked over to the floo calling Arthur to come and bring some clothing.

As Arthur came back through the floo with the clothing Poppy had asked for in his arms, he went straight over to his wife. When the man had entered the small space, Poppy closed the curtains around the family for some privacy.

While Poppy was off taking care of the youngest Weasley and Don was away arranging for Harry's transfer Albus had sat down next to Severus's bed and finally finished the needed paperwork for the child to become Severus's. He just needed to send it off to the ministry and wait for the final approval. As he finished he looked over at Severus and let a smile grace his face and the twinkle in his eyes grow. Severus truly was becoming a protective parent and a good one at that.

In the first light of the morning Severus was awake. Not really remembering what had happened to land him here in the hospital wing again he started to look around for clues. As he saw Albus sleeping in the chair next to his and Harry on the other side in the bed, it all came back to him in a rush. His boy had snuck out of his bed in the middle of the night and had traipsed into a dangerous situation.

Sighing Severus sat up in bed and looked over once more at Harry. The little imp looked so innocent in his sleep though. It was hard to stay mad at him when he looked so peaceful. Slowly Severus moved the covers away and got out of bed quite grateful that the Healers had not bothered to change him into pajamas. Then without another thought he moved over to sit next to Harry's bed. As he sat down he sighed slightly and brushed the bit of hair out of the child's face.

The man then sat back in his chair and waited for the child to wake. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted that the entire Weasley family had been moved down here last night. They were currently all crowded around the youngest's bed in cots that Poppy had likely conjured for them. What was curious to Severus though were the two cots he spotted on the other side of Harry's bed. There slept Rom Weasley, and Hermione Granger as close as they could get to Harry.

What was even curiouser though was the cot near Severus's bed, the one he had not noticed until now. It held a sleeping Minerva, the fierce woman who would never let a student catch her unprepared. Had they all come down from their soft beds to be with them of all people? He could understand the Weasleys coming down to see their sister and even the Granger girl and youngest Weasley boy seeing Harry, but Minerva coming to see him? Why had she left her bed for him?

As the potion master was musing over all the new people in the room, he was unaware of the two soft green eyes looking intently at him. Slowly though Severus felt the gaze of someone watching him and turned to look at the bed. Almost immediately he was on the side of the bed, and he was putting Harry's glasses on his face.

"Good morning Harry. You gave us all quite a scare last night."

Harry blushed and tried to roll over onto his side, but his arm prevented him from moving too much. Slightly alarmed Harry looked up at Severus.

"What happened? Why can't I feel me arm?"

Severus reached forward and started to softly card his fingers through his hair trying to calm Harry down.

"Shhh You're going to be ok Harry." Severus then gave the boy a slightly stern look. "We will have a long discussion about what happened last night, but for right now let's just focus on getting you well again. Alright?"

Harry gave a hesitant nod. What did his new daddy mean by long discussion? Aunt Petunia had only said that to Dudley when he was going to get a spanking. Did that mean... He really hoped not.

It seemed the Basilisk you fought last night bit you with it's fang. Fawlks tried to heal the wound, but missed some of the poison in some of your fat cells. In a few minutes here I'm going to go wake Don so that we can have you transferred back to the clinic. You are going to have to have surgery to get the poison out of you. It won't be long, and you will be able to come home afterword, but it's important that it happens right away."

"Th...their going to cut my arm open?"

"I will not lie to you Harry. They are, but you are going to be put in a magically indued sleep so you will not feel a thing."

Feeling a bit more confident Harry nodded again. "Will you be there?"

Severus gave a small nod. "I would never leave you Harry."

Tears started to prick at the back of Harry's eyes. "Ginny?"

"Ginny is fine Harry."

"I thought...I thought she..."

"Shhh None of that Harry. We can talk about that later. Right now let me go fetch Don so we can get you to the clinic."

Harry gave a small nod and tried to suppress the tears he could feel coming, but could not help the small traitorous one the escaped his eyes. Gently Severus reached down and wiped it away with his finger.

"Everything will be just fine Harry."

With that Severus got up from the bed and went to search for Don. He didn't have to look far though, for right between Albus in his chair and Minerva in her cot lay Don. Carefully he stepped over the sleeping woman and knelt down next to the Healer. Resting a gentle hand on Don's shoulder Severus whispered quietly to the man to wake him up.

"Wake up Don, Harry is awake."

Hearing that Don was awake in a moment. Giving Severus a nod Don sat up on his makeshift bed and quietly straightened out his clothes. Seeing that the Healer was awake and alert Severus went back over to Harry so that he could continue to calm him.

Gracefully Severus sat back down on the side of Harry's bed and gently pulled back the covers. He then with a few more reassuring words picked the boy up so that he could carry him to the clinic. Yes, they could have him walk, but it was best not to take a chance jostling that arm. For one wrong move could make the poison move and that would not be good.

The next moment Don had come over and gave Severus a small nod as he saw that he had his arms filled with the small boy. Quietly the three made their way to the floo not wanting to wake anyone this early in the morning, but before they flooed Severus fed a mild stomach soother to Harry in an effort to make the trip as pleasant as possible and Don left a small note telling them where they were so they would not worry.

When they reached the clinic Severus, Don and Harry were met with two Healers coming to collect their patent. As soon as Harry saw the new faces though he struggled a bit in Severus's grip and turned his head into Severus's neck. Despite everything that had happened he still did not particularly like strange Healers. Gently, with great care not to move Harry's arm at all Severus reached around and began to rub gentle circles into Harry's back.

As Severus continued to calm the child one of the Healers held out his arms as if he wanted to take Harry from Severus. The man quickly shook his head so the Healer turned to Don for some help, but it was useless for the Healer. There was no way Harry was going to be pried from Severus's grip to go into another's arms.

Sighing the new Healer nodded. "We have a bed ready for him, and we can begin immediately."

Both Don and Severus nodded and then followed the two Healers down the hall and into a small room. It was obviously designed to house a child for there were pictures of smiling animals on the walls, and the bed was closer to the ground than a normal one would be.

Gently Severus sat down on the bed and pulled Harry away from his chest a bit so that he could look the child in the eyes.

"I'm going to set you down on the bed now Harry. The Healer will then give you a potion that will make you very sleepy. I will be here the entire time Harry, and I promise you nothing bad will happen to you."

Harry gave a small nod and Severus sighed in relief. He hated telling that small white lie as the Healers would surely boot him out as they operated, but if it made Harry relax a little then it was worth it.

Severus then very slowly and gently transferred Harry to the bed and tucked him in leaving his arms out so the Healers would not have to maneuver him anymore. The next moment the Healer who had tried to take Harry from his arms came over and gave a kind smile to the boy.

"Hi there Harry. I'm Healer McMan and that is Healer Clark were going to get that icky stuff out of your arm, ok?

Harry gave a small nod so the Healer continued. "Can you take this potion for me? I promise it doesn't taste too bad, and you will be all better when you wake up."

Again, Harry nodded and Severus took the potion from the Healer so he could feed it to the boy. Vert gently Severus tipped it up to the boy's mouth and he drank the thick liquid down quickly. In just few moments, Harry was fast asleep and Severus let out a small sigh.

Quietly Don came over and rested a hand on Severus's shoulder. "Come on Severus, we'll go wait in the waiting room. Harry will be fine here."

Severus gave a nod and got off the bed. Before leaving the room though he looked at the Healer who had spoken with Harry.

"I don't want Harry waking up alone. Can you make sure to get us before he wakes?"

The Healer smiled and nodded. "Of course I can."

Reassured Severus no longer protested as Don led him from the room and into the waiting room.

The next hour passed with Severus tensely sitting in his chair and Don sitting next to him giving him as mush calming magic as he thought was safe. Waiting was not Severus's best skill, he had a tendency to think of every possible outcome while he sat there and most of them were not positive.

Just as the man thought, he could take no more of this one of the Healers who were seeing to Harry had stepped out of the double doors and started to walk over to the two. Great relief rushed over Severus as saw that he was smiling, and he let his shoulders slump forward.

"You can go see him now. He is resting comfortably, and you can take him home in a couple of hours. We want to watch him for a little while after he wakes."

Severus nodded and all but rushed to see his child. Don smiled as the man left him still standing in the waiting room with the Healer. After watching him leave, the Healer turned and smiled at Don.

"He's quite protective isn't he?"

Don let out a small laugh. "You don't know the half of it!" But then he grew serious. "Is there anything else I should know? Did everything go as planed or was their a hitch?"

"Everything went fine. I want him to wear a sling to keep the wound on his arm elevated for about a week, but he should feel no pain. If he does, a mild pain reliever should be fine."

Don sighed and nodded. "Thank you so much for all your help."

The Healer put an arm around Don's shoulder. "It's not a problem Don. By the way, Pam said that you missed your dinner plans last night with her. You might want to go apologize. Some flowers I think would work nicely."

Don blushed and hit his forehead with the palm of his hand. "I totally forgot! Thank you for reminding me. I think I will go rectify that now."

"Good luck! You're going to need it she was ranting all over the staff room this morning. She looked as if she was going to rip someone's head off."

"It probably doesn't help that this is the third time I've done that to her does it?"

"I would say not! Now go and quit dawdling. Pam is scary when she's mad and I have to send my kid to her this afternoon."

Don rose an eyebrow, but made no comment as he left conjuring an orchid plant and a stuffed bear with a heart on it's chest. He knew Severus would be fine now that Harry was going to be ok and would actually rather be alone with his child. Harry had given Severus quite a scare there, and he didn't doubt that as soon as they got home Harry would not be sitting comfortably.

Back in Harry's room Don it seemed to have been correct. Severus was sitting in the chair next to Harry's bed and the edge was so close it was touching the side. Gently he was cradling his fingers through Harry's hair and was quietly scolding him for scaring him so. The whispers Severus knew could not be heard by the sleeping boy, but somehow it made him feel better.

"You were so reckless, child. Don't make me lose you when I just got you. You almost died there...if Fawlks had not healed you as fast as she had you would not be lying in this bed right now. Do you know how much I would miss you? You opened up my heart for the first time since...your mother, and you almost broke it as she did. Please don't ever do that to me again Harry. I don't want to lose you too."

Halfway during his scolding/speech Severus lowered his head to look into his lap. He had thought he was talking so softly that no one would hear him least of all Harry, but when he felt a small hand rest on his he knew Harry had heard him. Silently he look up at Harry who he noticed had tears in his eyes as well.

"I'm...I'm sorry!"

"I hope you are Harry. You scared me half to death."

Harry looked down at his arm in the sling. "Am I going to be ok?"

Severus gave a small nod. "Yes Harry, you are going to be fine. Now can you tell me exactly what happened?"

Harry looked down the bed as Severus gently put a pillow behind his back so that he could sit up more comfortably and then sat on the edge of his bed.

"Come on Harry. Please tell me your side of the story."

The boy looked up and nodded. He then preceded to tell Severus everything that had happened that night. After Harry was finished speaking there was a long silence while Severus made sure to keep his emotions in check.

"Harry, let me ask you this. Why did you think that you had to be the one to follow the books instructions? Why did you not seek anyone one out for help?

Harry blushed and looked down. "You were so tired...I know I have been keeping you up with my nightmares. I didn't want to bother you."

Severus heaved a small sigh. "Harry even if you didn't want to bother me there were other people you could have asked help from? I want you to think for a few minutes Harry and come up with at least one way you could have handled this differently. Can you do that for me?"

The child gave a small nod and Severus grabbed hold of the boy's hands in his. Gently he stroked the backs of those hands in a calming manner. Trying to relieve some of the tension he knew the boy was feeling.

After a few minutes, Harry looked up and shook his head. "I...I don't know sir..."

Severus gave a small sigh and released Harry's hands. He then got up and pulled down the covers a little shaking off his shoes as he did. Very carefully the man slipped into bed besides Harry while putting an arm around the boy's shoulders pulling him close to his side.

"Harry... Child, do you not see yourself worthy of our protection?"

Very gently Severus pulled the chain out from underneath the boy's shirt.

"You have this Harry. You could have called Don to come and help you. I hope you know that he will be there for you whenever you need him, day or night. The same with me Harry, I don't care if I'm exhausted or sick, I will be there to help you no matter what. I need you to understand that Harry."

Severus then reached down and gently took hold of the boy's chin and made it so that Harry had no choice, but to meet his eyes.

"Do you understand that Harry?

Harry nodded tears welling up in his eyes. For the first time in a long time, he was starting to believe that what Severus was saying was true. He had people he could go to if he needed for the first time in his short life.

Seeing the tears Severus released the boy's chin and let him rest his head on his shoulder. Gently he wrapped both arms around Harry and held him.

"Can you tell me why you thought you had to do everything by yourself? I mean the real reason Harry."

"I...I...I didn't think you would care...and you would be mad at me for waking you up."

Severus sighed. "I would never be mad at you for waking me up Harry. In fact, if you needed me I would prefer it if you did wake me up. That way I could help you."

Against his shoulder Severus felt a small, hesitant nod.

"We still need to talk about the consequences for your actions young man. While, I am sure you did believe that I would be mad if you woke me you still snuck out after curfew and put yourself in danger. Remember the rules I told you a few days ago?"

Harry again nodded against Severus's shoulder so Severus continued even more gently then before.

"You broke my major rule Harry and I told you what the would happen if you did that did I not?"

"R..Ron said that it wouldn't feel good sitting down for a little while."

With his arms, still around Harry Severus gave the boy a small squeeze in comfort. "He's right Harry. You will not want to sit down for a little while. That's all though, It will sting a bit, but I will not hurt you."

"Wh..when?"

"Do you mean when will I spank you?"

Again, Harry nodded.

"When we get back to our rooms. We also have to talk about you sneaking out when you were supposed to be in bed. I think a full ten minutes in the corner will do. What do you think?"

Harry was not about to argue so again he nodded, but he opened his mouth to ask something else.

"C..can we get it over with?"

Severus sighed. "I would normally say that would be fine Harry, but you are going to be in this bed for a few more hours. I don't want to be cruel and make you sit on a sore bottom."

"I...I wouldn't mind...I just don't want it hanging over my head."

"If you're sure Harry and only then."

"Please."

"Ok Harry, let me go close the door and I will cast a silencing spell so no one can hear."

Harry nodded and let the man out of his bed. Unconsciously he had been hanging on to his daddy as he hugged him and deep down he really didn't want to let go.

He also didn't really want this spanking to happen at all, but the talk he had with Ron during lunch yesterday had made him feel a bit better about this whole ordeal. He had admitted to Ron about the punishments that were laid out to him if he broke the rules and with a blush Ron had admitted to him that he was still spanked by his mother as well. He said that while it did hurt for a little while, the sting quickly faded and he much preferred it to a grounding. There was nothing hanging over his head, and he knew that as soon as the spanking was over he was forgiven.

Hermione had overheard the conversation and had thoughtfully nodded her head at what Ron was saying. She even told Harry that now and again her parents spanked her as well and agreed with everything his best friend was telling and even said that it was loads better than not being able to see your friends.

While Harry was trapped in his musing Severus had gotten off the bed and had moved to shut the door. He cast a spell that would allow him to hear someone knocking, but it would not open until he said it could. Along with that spell, he also cast a silencing spell so that no one would be able to hear anything that went on in the room for a little while. He didn't want anyone to overhear and embarrass Harry later on.

When he was finished, he came and sat on the edge of the bed somewhat in the middle. Harry kind of knowing the drill from watching Dudley once got out of bed and stood before Severus. Gently the man reached forward and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"I want you to tell me why you are getting this spanking Harry."

Harry blushed and looked down. "I...I put myself in danger.

"That's right Harry. You put yourself in danger when you could have come for help from an adult."

Severus reached forward and placed a hand under Harry's chin forcing him to meet his eyes.

"I don't enjoy doing this Harry, but I think I need to impress just how serious your actions were. I don't want to lose you son; I don't think I could ever bare losing you."

Tears were already behind Harry's eyes as he looked at Severus so it was no surprise that the man pulled the boy in for a hug, warmly warping his arms around him.

"It's going to be ok Harry."

Suddenly, Harry pulled back from the embrace and wiped a tear off his face. He felt that he had to get this over with, or he would lose his nerve.

"Can...can we get this over with please?"

Severus nodded and led Harry over to his right side. He gently tipped the boy over his knee and made sure that Harry's upper body arm was resting comfortably on the bed. There was no need for Harry to be uncomfortable.

"Are you comfortable Harry? How is your arm?"

Harry nodded from where his head was resting on the bed. "I'm ok..."

Gently Severus placed his left hand on the small of Harry's back and rested his other in Harry's bottom.

"Are you ready Harry?"

When Severus saw the small nod he sighed and lifted his hand. Not hard, but strong enough to smart Severus brought his hand down on the waiting bottom. Harry jumped a little and let out a small gasp. The second and third smack landed much the same way, but on the forth Severus heard Harry begin to silently sob.

Steeling himself Severus finished the rest of the punishment. Ten whole swats landed on Harry's bottom, and the entire time Severus was very careful to gage Harry's reactions to make sure he was in no real distress. As soon as it was over he let Harry lie over his lap for a few minutes while he rubbed his back to help him calm down. When the man thought that Harry was calm enough he gently scooped Harry up into his arms and hugged him tightly to his chest.

"There, there Harry, it's all over. It's all forgiven and forgotten."

Harry rested his head on Severus's shoulder and nodded slightly. Quietly Severus conjured up a warm, wet washcloth and began to wipe away all the tears that had fallen.

"All better now?"

Harry again nodded.

"Why don't you take a little nap now and when you wake we'll go back to Hogwarts, ok?"

Harry just closed his eyes causing Severus to let out a small chuckle. "Not on me you little brat! I meant the bed!"

As Harry kept his eyes closed a small smile graced his face. He was clearly amused. "But you're so comfy."

"I'm sure. The dungeon bat is now a giant teddy bear for the boy who lived."

Harry's eyes popped open. "Please don't call me that."

Severus looked down curiously. "Why not Harry?"

"It...it reminds me of when you hated me."

Severus sighed a little. "As I said before Harry. I never hated you. I was just...misguided."

Harry nodded, but grew serious. "Thank you daddy for not yelling at me."

Severus looked down at the bundle in his arms a little confused. "Why are you thanking me Harry?"

"I...I don't like it when people yell. It reminds me of Uncle Vernon."

Severus nodded his head and made a metal note to never yell at Harry. Unfortunately that explained a lot. Last year when he had become angry he wold yell at the boy. He had thought it was blatant defiance, but now he saw it for what it was Harry had been breaking down before his eyes. Suppressing a sigh Severus stroked back the hair from Harry's face.

"In that case Harry I will never yell at you. Now come on, you need a bit of rest."

Harry nodded and let Severus maneuver him so that he was now beneath the covers again and tucked in. Although Harry was now lying on his stomach instead of his back. Gently the man sat back down on the bed and rubbed the boy's back until he fell asleep.