Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The next morning while Harry was getting ready for school Severus watched from the doorway as Harry struggled to tie his tie. Gently smiling Severus knocked on the door frame to gain Harry's attention. The boy looked up and blushed a bit as he looked back down at the tie he was unable to tie.
Friends
The next morning while Harry was getting ready for school Severus watched from the doorway as Harry struggled to tie his tie. Gently smiling Severus knocked on the door frame to gain Harry's attention. The boy looked up and blushed a bit as he looked back down at the tie he was unable to tie.

"Need a little help there? It's difficult doing that one handed, isn't it?"

Harry nodded, and dropped the ends of the tie he was holding. Embarrassed he shuffled his feet and looked up at his daddy still blushing.

"No need to be embarrassed. Come here you little scamp and let me help you. That's what I'm here for."

Harry walked over to Severus and let him take hold of the ends of his Gryffindor tie. Carefully the man tied it loosely, but comfortably for him.

"There we go Harry. Are you ready to go to class? Do you have everything you need?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I have everything. Pam said that she was going to come by again today, right?"

"Yes Harry, she will meet you here an hour after school ends. Is that ok with you?"

Again Harry nodded. "Don is coming after that, right?"

Smiling Severus nodded. "Yes, he is."

Harry looked down and Severus saw him biting his lip as if he were lost in a thought, but then he heard him mumble, 'That's good'.

Peaking Severus's curiosity and worry the man gently placed a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Is there any reason you want to see him?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders and looked away blushing. "No, no reason. I just wanted to know."

Sighing Severus nodded accepting that Harry didn't want to tell him what was bothering him. He knew that later on when he met with Don the Healer would get it out of him. "Ok then. Fetch your bag, Mr. Weasley just passed the first set of my wards. He'll be here in a few moments. Are you sure you have everything?"

Harry rolled his eyes. An action Severus never thought he would be glad to see, but it was nice to see Harry act like a normal almost teenager.

"Yes Dad, I have everything."

"Ok, and you brushed your teeth?"

"Yes."

"And scrubbed behind your ears?" Severus flashed a sly smile at the boy. He wanted to see whether Harry knew he was now just teasing him.

Surprisingly the boy looked at him and smiled. "Now you're just teasing me, aren't you?"

"Oh, I don't know. I think you can figure that out on your own."

Harry's smile grew slightly as he shook his head and started to head out of his room. Before he left though, he turned around and looked at Severus with a slight bit of worry in his face.

"Will I see you at lunch?"

Severus's features softened as he came up behind his son and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"I will be at the head table like always. Are you sure nothing is bothering you?"

Just then there was a knock on the front door and Harry took that moment to escape from any further questioning from his new dad. He knew the man was just concerned about him, but still he didn't want to talk about it. Not yet at least….or ever really.

Opening the door Harry was met with a shy looking Ron. "Ready to go mate?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, let me just grab my bag. I'll be right back."

The boy turned to grab his bag he had set in the chair, but was met with Severus holding his bag out for him to take.

Shyly Harry accepted the bag and started to walk back towards Ron. Severus stopped him though with a small pat on the shoulder. Turning Harry looked at him with confusion written all over his face.

"Don't I at least get a hug goodbye?" Severus raised his eyebrows and opened his arms a little inviting the boy.

Harry blushed, and his eyes flickered back to Ron who was watching them. Ron sensing his friend's embarrassment turned away to give him a bit of privacy. He didn't want to be the reason his friend did not accept a sign of affection from his new found father. Although it was still pretty weird Imagining Snape to be anything different from his dark bat like reputation.

When Harry saw Ron turn away, he smiled a little at his friend. He then turned back to his daddy and went into his arms willingly.

"I love you daddy."

"I love you too son. Now go and learn something!"

Harry pulled back and smiled at Severus while he nodded his head. "Yes sir."

Harry then turned around and started to head to the door so that he could leave with his friend. Before he closed the door though, he turned and smiled at Severus. "I'll see you in class."

Severus just nodded his head as he watched his boy close the door. As soon as it was closed, he sighed and walked over to the floo. He had every intention of attending breakfast with the rest of the school, but first he had to ask Albus some questions.

Throwing the floo powder into the fireplace he called out Albus's office and was glad when the old man answered him.

"Severus, you're calling awfully early. Is anything the matter? How is Harry doing?"

Severus sighed at the old man's worry, but if he were truthful he could not blame the old man after everything that had happened these few days.

"Everything is fine Albus. Harry just went to breakfast with the Weasley boy. I just wanted to inquire how the papers with the adoption were going. Are there any hold ups?"

Albus gave the younger man a warm look. "Let me step through for a moment and I'll explain what is happening."

Severus nodded and stepped back so Albus could step through. As soon as he did so Albus came through and gestured for him to sit down on the couch. It was a gesture Severus was beginning to dread, it meant the news would not be to his liking.

Reluctantly Severus sat down on the couch and Albus sat down next to him. Albus took hold of Severus hand and looked at him gently.

"There has been a few issues. I was not going to tell you because I will take care of everything, but since you asked I will tell you if you want to know."

"I want to know everything Albus."

Albus sighed and conjured a tray of food for both of them. "We might as well have our breakfast down here then. Drink you potion and at least have some toast before I tell you what has been happening."

Severus did as he was told, not happy that he was being made to eat, but Albus said he was going to tell him all of what had been going on so he guessed he had to give something to get the information.

When Severus had the toast and some of the eggs he looked at Albus impatiently. Seeing the look that was directed his way Albus put down his own tray on the table and looked back at Severus.

"Alright, shall I start from the beginning? I think that is the right spot to start. As you know there were no problems with Guardianship papers, because they could be temporary or broken at any time. With the adoption papers, they have to go through children's welfare before they reach the Minister though. It is there where we are having problems. Even though people's minds are a lot more open than they were when you were a child, some still have the opinion that children should stay who they are related to if possible. It appears that Harry has a very distant cousin in Scotland. He has made no attempt to take Harry in or show any interest in doing so, but many people in children's welfare are trying to convince him into take Harry in. They have put the papers on hold while they are talking with him."

Severus blinked once, and then twice. "They don't like that I am the one who is adopting him. A former Death Eater. So they are doing everything they can to stop it or at least prolong the process

Albus sadly nodded. "I am doing everything I can to stop this and so is Madam Bones, but she has limited power right now because she is so new."

Severus looked down in thought and then raised it to look Albus right in the eyes. "Do I have to worry about losing Harry?"

Albus closed his eyes for a moment before looked into the dark orbs once again. "I don't know Severus. I don't think this cousin is interested, but I have been wrong before. If he does put up a fight though we will fight right back and we will win."

"You don't know that Albus. What if he wins and I lose Harry? I can't lose him...I just can't..."

"...and you won't. I won't let them take Harry. Don't worry."

Severus nodded. "Please don't say anything to Harry. I don't want him to be frightened. ...and I'll try not to worry, but I don't know whether I'll be able to help it. How long can they put the papers on hold."

Albus sighed, he had hoped that Severus would not ask that question. "They can do so indefinitely."

"Is there anything I can do? Should I appeal to them or show that I care for Harry in anyway?"

Albus shook his head. "There Is nothing you can do directly, but in a few days they should send a social worker here to see how Harry reacts to you and if he is thriving in this living environment."

"It won't be like last time, will it?"

Albus shook his head. "No it will not. That social worker was under the influence of Fudge and was not following any of the rules that are normally in place."

"I...I should go and get ready for my first class then."

Albus placed a hand on Severus's arm before he could get up so that he would look at him. "Are you ok Severus?"

Severus nodded. "Dazed, but I think I'm alright."

Albus nodded and removed his hand from Severus's arm. "If you are not, I can call Don."

"No, please don't bother him. I believe Pam will kill him if she does not spend some time with him this week."

Albus rose an eyebrow. "I take it she expressed her displeasure of not seeing Don enough to you as well?"

Severus nodded. "Please don't say anything though. She can be scary when she wants to be."

With mirth in his eyes, Albus smiled. "Of course not, my boy, I would not put you in that kind of danger."

"Thank you. I need to go now. My class comes in ten minutes."

"Ok then, call me if you need anything."

Severus nodded and stood up from the couch closely followed by Albus. Walking to the floo Albus disappeared in a green flash and Severus let out a small sigh. Nothing it seemed could be easy. Oh well, that's life.

After a few more moments, Severus started to head to his classroom to get ready for the day. He had some cauldrons that needed to be checked over and some ingredients that he had to fetch before any students came.

Upstairs in the great hall Harry was sitting among his friends eating breakfast. It seemed like a normal breakfast to most, although the one this his friends could not help, but notice was Harry's frequent glances to the Head table.

After about the twentieth glance up Ron placed a hand on Harry's shoulder to gain his attention.

"Hey, what's up mate?"

"It's just that da...Snape and Dumbledore are not eating breakfast."

Ron glanced up at the table. Watching his friend he had not really looked to where his gaze was going.

"Maybe they had something to take care of? Did Snape say anything to you?"

Harry shook his head. "No, and I've never noticed Dumbledore gone before."

Just then Hermione piped up to try to make her friend feel better. "Ron is right Harry. They probably had something to do. Don't worry, you said Professor Snape would see you at lunch, right? If we don't see him then we'll ask a teacher, ok?"

Harry reluctantly nodded and looked down to his food. For some strange reason, he just didn't have a good appetite this morning. Maybe it was because of everything that had happened these past few days, or maybe it was just he was worried about his new found daddy.

Just as that thought flew through Harry's head he heard a small pop in front of him and saw three small bottles. Two he recognized as the ones he had taken before, the nutrient and vitamin one. The third one though he had seen before, but had only taken once before. It was the appetite stimulant he had seen his daddy take before he ate.

One last time his gaze turned to the head table. This time though his gaze was drawn to a smiling Minerva Mcgonagall. She gave him a small nod and a very small gesture with her hand to go ahead. So looking back down he grabbed up the potions and gulped down all three.

While he was taking his potions Ron looked at his as if he had grown a second head. "What are those for and how did you get them here?"

Hermione elbowed Ron in the arm to quiet him. "Don't be rude Ron! That is Harry's business, and he can tell us whether he wants to."

Ron looked down sheepishly. "Sorry Harry."

"That's ok Ron. I have to take these potions every morning. One is for nutrition and one if for getting extra vitamins. The third one I think Professor Mcgonagall added when she saw I was not eating a lot, it's an appetite stimulant."

"Why do you have to take those?"

Again, Ron received another elbow from Hermione. "Ron!"

Rubbing his arm Ron looked at Harry. "Sorry."

"It's ok, and Hermione please stop elbowing Ron. You don't have to protect me from everything. As you know the Dursley's didn't like me very much and well...you know the other things to...well they didn't really give me much to eat either..."

Harry shrugged his shoulders and paused for a moment. "I guess it caught up, and I need extra stuff to compensate for what I didn't get."

Ron placed a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder. "I'm sorry mate..."

Harry shook his friend's hand away. "Please don't guys. What has happened, happened and there is nothing we can do about it now, ok? I just want to move on."

Intently Hermione searched Harry's face finding sincerity on ever inch. "Ok Harry, but before we move on I just want you to let you know we have open ears if you ever do want to talk. We are your friends, and you can tell up anything and are always here for you."

Harry nodded. "Thank you."

Ron nodded as well. "Good! Now that is sorted away can we finish eating?"

Picking up his fork Harry nodded.

The rest of the meal passed rather silently. The two friends not really knowing what to say, and Harry was just to busy stuffing his mouth to say anything. When they were all finished, they made their way to their first class with their homework and books in hand.

Reaching the classroom the three friends sat next to each other near the front of the classroom. All the teachers had decided that it would benefit Harry to sit closer to the front, and Harry had agreed. He could see the board better, and he saw that if he argued he would have never won.

Just as they sat down Minerva entered the classroom, her eyes immediately drawn to the trio of friends. Raising an eyebrow the woman sat behind her desk.

"May I inquire why you three are so early?"

Hermione nodded. "We wanted to get good seats Professor."

Minerva nodded. "Do you want to hand in your homework so you can beat the rush?"

All three looked at each other and then dug through their bags to grab the work they had done. Harry was the one to grab the other's papers and bring it up to the desk though.

Placing the papers on the desk Minerva gave him a small smile and before he could leave she placed a gentle hand on his.

"If you need, anything Mr. Potter know that I am always here."

Harry nodded, and the woman let go of his hand. Blushing a bit he turned and waked back to his friends sitting in between them as he was before.

Ron leaned in, and half whispered half yelled in Harry's ear. "What did she say mate?"

Hermione his Ron shoulder again for his tactlessness for it was obvious that their Professor had heard him by the way she was looking at them.

"Ron!"

Ron just looked at her confused. "What did I do this time?"

"Have some sense Ron. Honestly, you act like a small child sometimes." Hermione discreetly shrugged her shoulder in the direction of the Professor who was desperately trying to hide her chuckles and was succeeding as none of the children noticed her desperate struggles.

Harry just sat back and watched his friends glad that at least something was normal. When Hermione looked as if she was going to hit Ron on the shoulder again though he gently grabbed her arm before she could land a good elbow.

"Ok Mione we get it Ron is clueless. I don't think your going to knock any sense into him that way."

Hermione seemed to agree as she dropped her arm in defeat. "Your right Harry. I'll just have to make him study more. Do you think the library has any books on common sense?"

Harry snickered into his hand while Ron looked at them both with his mouth hanging open. When Ron finally got a grip and closed his mouth it was to shout an indignant 'Hey!'.

At this point Minerva had to get up from behind her desk and turn to the blackboard to cover her smile. She could remember two very similar children who graced her class many years ago. At first, they had hated each other, but then they had become unrepeatable in their later years. It was somewhat refreshing to see these two joke like those two had, she knew they would make a wonderful couple in the future. Although that was a long way off.

Just as Minerva was pondering the past the bell rang and the rest of her class came filtering in. Sighing she turned and held out her hand for the papers she knew they would be handing in. As she did so her glance feel back over the trio of friends and was glad to see them playfully laughing together. She was also glad to see the Longbottom boy come and sit next to Ron's other side.

The next moment though she schooled her face into a stern look and began the lesson. Making sure everyone quieted down and start to pay attention.

The rest of the day went well for Harry with only a few troubles with his work. The homework he handed in proved to be perfect and the tricks Pam had taught him seemed to be helping him, especially the gips for the quills. His hands weren't hurting as much when he wrote and for that alone he was eternally grateful. He could no help, but think back to how much his hands had hurt before when he had tried to write.

After school, he made his way down to the dungeons with his friends accompanying him. Severus had pulled Hermione aside today after class and asked her discreetly to make sure Harry did not walk alone. No one wanted another episode of what happened with his scar the other day, and he knew the girl would not ask as many questions as Ron would. He also knew that his comment would make the girl watch Harry with a closer eye to make sure he was alright.

"We'll see you later Harry. Come up to the Tower if you need me to help you with you're homework. If not we'll see you tomorrow, right? You're having dinner down here?"

Harry nodded and accepted the young witches hug. He was still getting used to physical touch, but with Hermione it had not really been a problem for him. It kind of confused him, maybe it was because she was still just a kid like him?

"Yeah, I'm going to stay down here. It's kinda nice down here. I'll show you my room sometime, but Pamela is going to be here in a bit."

Harry knew he had an hour, plenty of time to show his friends his new room, but for some strange reason he was feeling the need to escape right now. Really he had that feeling all day, maybe that dream he kept having was really starting to affecting him more than he had thought it would.

Ron came and patted Harry on the shoulder. "That's ok mate, we understand. We'll see you tomorrow; ok?"

Ron did understand too. He had felt Harry's odd mood all day and had sensed something was on his mind. He really hopped that his friend would talk with someone tonight to get whatever it was that was bothering him off his chest.

With that Harry turned and said the password to the door. Before going inside though, he turned and gave his friends a small smile and wave. "Good night guys."

Both his friends coursed his words and then turned to leave.

As Harry closed the door behind him, he breathed a sigh of relief and let the smile slowly slip from his lips. He was beginning to feel the exhaustion of the day even though he had that rest after his lunch. It was just so tiring acting as if everything was fine all day in front of everyone. He had thought that after having all his wounds healed it would be better and less tiring, but he was finding out the hard way that was not true.

After another slow breath in Harry began to drag his bag to his room. He should start on some of his homework he didn't think he needed help with, and maybe he could try to do the other stuff so Pam would not have to stay as long as she had the day before. Maybe then he could get some extra sleep tonight.

Unfortunately, his planes seemed to go down the drain as he was intercepted on his way to the door of his room by Severus.

"Hi there Harry. Why don't you put your bag away and we can have some tea hmmm?"

Harry gave a small frown. On one hand, he would really love to have tea with his new found father, but then he really wanted to get started with his homework. Nervously Harry looked down at his feet and bit his lip.

Severus sighed watching Harry shuffle his foot, but then came closer to rest a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder.

"What's wrong Harry?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders and continued to look down causing the man to take a deep breath in.

"Why don't we go put down your things and then you can tell me about your day? How does that sound?"

Harry reluctantly nodded and let Severus guide him into his room. While the man had a seat on the side of Harry's bed Harry went and put his books and assignments on his desk. After he was finished, he hesitantly turned and looked at Severus. Gently the man patted the spot on the bed next to him inviting the boy to come have a seat. Not seeing how he could refuse Harry walked over and sat next to him on the bed.

"Now Harry, did something happen today that made you uncomfortable or was it something I said back there?"

Again, the boy shrugged his shoulders, making Severus close his eyes for a moment.

"Harry, I understand why you are shrugging your shoulders, but I can't help you if you don't talk with me."

"It's nothing."

"Harry, if you are avoiding my eyes and fidgeting then it is not nothing it is something. Please tell me what's wrong."

Harry let out a small breath and started to fidget with the ends of his jumper. "It's stupid. I...I wanted to start my homework, but...but I wanted to have tea with you...and...and I was afraid if I refused..."

Severus let out a small breath. "That I would not invite you again?"

Harry gave a tiny miserable nod. Inwardly he was scolding himself for how weak he was. How could he really be twelve years old and still fear something so small...and yet he just could not help it. His heart and emotions always seemed to work differently than his brain, and it frustrated him every single time. Really it would not be a big deal if his daddy never invited him to tea again, it's not as if he really liked tea in the first place, but than he knew in his heart that it was more of the gesture.

"You know Harry, unless I am in a meeting with someone you are always welcome to have tea with me. I normally have some to relax after a long day at school, and I thought you would like to relax as well. You do not have to come out and join me, but you will always be welcome to. You can even bring some of your work with you if you want, and I can help you until Pam comes."

Harry looked up at Severus with wide eyes. "Really?"

Severus wrapped his arm around the boy and gave his shoulders a gentle squeeze. "Yes Really. Now do you want to join me or do you prefer to stay here?"

"Harry looked down again and then looked back up at Severus. " Can I have pumpkin juice instead?"

"That can be arranged along with a plate of fruit for you to snack on."

"That would be brilliant dad!"

Severus smiled. "I thought so. Now gather what you want to work on before Pam gets here and I will go arrange our little snack, ok?"

Harry nodded and let Severus get up from the bed and leave the room. Soon after Harry was up as well and was grabbing the few books and assignments he could work on with his daddy. The one assignment he avoided particularly though was potions. He figured it wouldn't be fair if his daddy helped him with that since he was the teacher, and not everybody had the benefit of getting his help.

When he had grabbed everything Harry headed out the door and into the small kitchen just in time to see the snack appear on the table.

Severus smiled at him and beckoned him to the table and to sit down. As soon as he sat down he looked over at the man who had sat himself down across from him. He saw that he had pulled out a book of his own and was studding it intently, but as soon as he had detected his gaze he looked up at Harry.

"What is it Harry?"

Harry blushed and looked down at his books and busied himself with finding the right page. "Nothing sir."

Severus looked intently at Harry. He knew something else was bothering his boy, but he didn't want to push the subject in case he pushed Harry away. He wanted the boy to feel comfortable talking to him and not be an inquisitor all the time.

"If you need any help or anything else let me know."

Harry gave a small nod still looking down at his books and Severus couldn't help but let out a sigh. He really hoped Don would be able to get to whatever was troubling the boy tonight.

Again, he looked down at his book and tried to consecrate on reading, but every few seconds his gaze wandered up to look at his child. Fortunately, Harry was too engrossed in his work to notice his constant looks.

An hour passed like that until the two heard the floo go off behind them, and Pam stepped into the kitchen.

Saying her greetings Pam smiled and sat down next to Harry. "How are you doing tonight Harry?"

"Fine."

Pamela's smile faltered a bit, and she stole a glance at Severus. The man only shrugged his shoulders and mouthed 'Don' when Harry was not looking. Silently she gave a small nod agreeing that Don was the best person to solve what was bothering the boy. As much as she loathed to admit it that man had a special gift for wheedling your troubles from your lips, even if they were about him! That man was great at what he does, but he really really frustrated her sometimes.

"That's good to hear Harry. Do you want to finish working out here or do you want to work in your room?"

"Can we go to my room? The rest of my books are there. I only brought these out to work on them before you got here."

"Yes we can Harry. Why don't you head on in and I'll be there in a moment, ok?"

Harry nodded and packed up his books. As soon, as he left the room Pam looked back a Severus.

"Do you know what is troubling him?

"Severus shook his head. "He was fine last night, and this morning something was up. He didn't have a nightmare that I know of. Maybe something else happened during school? No one told me of any trouble though."

Pamela nodded. "I'll see whether I can get him to tell me anything while we work on his homework, but more than likely Don will have to work his magic."

As soon as Pamela saw, Severus nod she made her way to the boy's bedroom. Once there she sat next to Harry and for the next hour she helped him complete all of the work he had been assigned that night.

When they were finished with all his work, he looked up at Pam. "Don is coming later on, right?"

"Yes dear, I believe he was planning on coming right before dinner. Is there something wrong?"

Harry vigorously shook his head, but the fidgeting in his hands gave him away.

Sighing Pam tried one more attempt to get Harry to open up with her. All throughout their study session she had gently and discretely put it out there that he could speak with her if he wanted, but now it was time to lay it on a little thicker.

"Harry, I can tell something is bothering you. You can wait and speak with Don about it if you want, but know that you are welcome to talk with me about it as well. I have two ears, and they love listening."

Harry's shoulder slumped down in defeat and let out part of what was bothering him, he didn't really want to talk about that dream and didn't really know whether he was going to be able to talk to Don about it either. "I'm just so tired, I don't know what is wrong with me."

Pamela nodded. She could tell that this was part of what was bothering him, but it was obvious by the way Harry was acting that this was not everything. "There is nothing wrong with you Harry. It is very normal to be tired after everything you have been through. That is why you have a nap in the middle of the day."

Harry looked up at the woman with determination in his eyes. "No! Like even after that rest, I'm still exhausted and I'm having trouble staying awake in class! There is something wrong, I shouldn't be like this!"

Pamela placed a calming hand on his shoulder. "Calm down Harry and let's talk about this with a different perspective. Where did you spend most of the day yesterday?"

Harry looked down. "In the Hospital wing."

"And where were you before that?"

"In the Hospital." Harry voice was getting quieter and quieter as he spoke.

There was a slight scolding tone to Pam's voice. "And before that you were in the Chamber of Secrets draining your magical core."

Harry gave a tiny nod.

"You used up a lot of magic in that Chamber and it's going to take some time to recover from that. I know you feel weak and tired, but that is normal after using so much magic. You also underwent surgery while you were still weak not only exhausting your core further, but tiring your body out as well."

Harry's next words almost came out as a whisper. "...but I slept so much..."

"Yes, you may have slept, but it still takes time to recover. You need to take it slowly and realize that your limits will come sooner than they have in the past."

Continuing to look down Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Will I ever be normal?"

Pamela reached over and hugged Harry's shoulders. "You are normal Harry. You are a very normal young man, and I never want you to think differently."

Harry looked up at Pam; hopefully, but the Healer could plainly see the mistrust written in his eyes as well. "Are...are you sure?"

"Very, Harry, but I can see you don't really believe me. I'm sure that most of your life you've been told differently, but they were wrong Harry. They were very, very wrong and I hope that you will be able to see that."

Harry looked down at his lap and let out a small breath. Rubbling his shoulders a bit more Pamela looked down at the dejected boy. It seemed that her best efforts had done little to reassure the boy. She hoped Don saying the same thing later on tonight would do some good.

With one, last sigh Pam ceased rubbing Harry's back. "Why don't we go see what Severus is up to?"

Harry looked up and nodded his head. As he looked up Pam could see the suppressed tears, but also the need to keep a strong face in front of her. Deciding to indulge him this once she ignored the tears and got off the bed.

"Come on then Harry."

Harry got up and followed his Healer out the door all the way taking deep breaths so he could calm the tears that wanted to come. He wanted so much to believe Pam when she had told him that he was normal and everything he had been told when he was younger was wrong, but he just couldn't and that pain in his chest started to hurt again. He knew it was from holding back his tears, but he just didn't want to cry right now. He had been doing way too much of that lately, and he didn't want to make a habit of it. He was such a baby.

As they walked out into the living room, they both saw Severus sitting on the couch grading papers and muttering about his dunderheads. Harry smiled at scene before him, and the thoughts of crying vanished from his mind.

Pamela on the other hand didn't see as much humor in Severus calling his students 'stupid dunderheads' and put her hands on her hips while clearing her throat.

Hearing Pamela clear her throat Severus looked up and saw the witch with her arms crossed. Inwardly he flinched, he recognized that look on her face. He was about to receive a lecture.

With no further hesitation Pamela started telling Severus off much to his dismay. All throughout the long winded lecture on how he should never call any of his students stupid or dunderheads Severus gaze kept lingering over at Harry. It was obvious the boy was getting some amusement at seeing his guardian getting his head chewed off, at least he was enjoying himself and it seemed that it had jerked him out of that mood he had earlier.

When the Healer was sure that Severus he was fully chastised she ushered Harry to sit down next to Severus on the couch.

"Now you two, I have to be going. I have an appointment I have to get to. Before I go though, I wanted to tell you Severus that you have a very bright boy here and you should be proud of him. He is also very tired and should probably go to bed a bit early, after some desert; of course."

Harry blushed and was looking down at his lap the whole time Pam was talking about him. It was actually to the adults benefit though so that Pam could share some significant looks with Severus to make him understand her hidden messages. When she had stopped speaking Harry was still looking down at his hands, but he was now wrestling with the ends of his t shirt.

Gently Severus reached over and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder ignoring the flinch that came with the touch. Obviously, they had hit a sore spot with all their parsing.

"Harry, child, what is wrong?"

For another moment Harry continued playing with the ends of his shirt, but then very slowly he opened his mouth. "A...are you mad?"

"What for Harry?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders.

Severus sighed and reached over to place a gentle hand under Harry's chin so that they could meet eyes. When they were looking at each other Severus tried once more.

"Why do you think I'm mad Harry?"

Again Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Every...every time a teacher wanted to talk to Uncle Vernon he always got mad at me."

Severus's eyebrows rose a bit as he shook his head. "No Harry I am not mad at all. Did you hear what Pam was saying to me?"

Harry slowly shook his head and Severus let out a small sigh.

"Harry, she was telling me how well you are doing and even if you were not doing well I would not be angry because I know you are trying your hardest. If you were not trying that would be a different story, but I would still not be angry, I would be disappointed."

Harry gave a small nod and Severus could feel Harry relax beneath his hand so he let go of his chin.

"Better now?"

Harry gave a small nod. "I'm sorry for being so silly. I...I just can't help it..."

Until now Pam had been silent, but now with a smile on her face she rested a gentle hand on the boy's other shoulder. "You're not being silly Harry, you're just expressing yourself and that is a good thing. So please don't apologize to us for doing something right."

Again, Harry blushed a bit as he nodded. Seeing the small nod Pam lifted her hand and said her farewells and then left through the floo. She knew Severus could handle any further troubles Harry was having by himself and would probably actually prefer it.

As soon as Pam left, Severus again turned to look at Harry, but this time with an eyebrow raised. "We still have some time before Don comes to check out your arm, would you like to play a game of chess?"

Harry grinned widely as he nodded. "Yes sir!"

"Good."

With that Severus banished his work back to his desk gratefully, he hated grading papers and avoided it when he could. He then levitated the chess set from the shelf it was resting on and brought it down to the table in front of them.

Halfway through the game the floo went off behind them and much to their surprise Albus stepped out of the fireplace.

Putting down the chess piece Severus was holding he turned and looked at the Headmaster wearily. Their earlier conversation was still in his head, and he hoped beyond all hope that the man was not bringing bad news.

Albus saw the man's tentative glance and gave a small reassuring smile even though he really didn't have any news that would reassure the man, quite the opposite actually.

"Hi there Severus, Harry."

Harry looked between the two and saw the look on Severus's face. "Wh...whats wrong?"

Severus scolded himself for not schooling his features better and letting his worry show through. Immediately, he scooted a little closer to Harry on the couch.

"Nothing is wrong Harry. Why don't you go to your room for a little while I talk with the Headmaster?"

Harry looked between the two again and shook his head. "No, something is wrong and I want to know what it is! Is there something about the Guardianship; does someone want to take me away?"

Severus placed a hand on Harry's shoulder to calm him. Not wanting to lie to Harry, but then also not wanting to tell Harry the truth about his distant cousin Severus tried his best to try to calm the boy down.

"Harry, no one is going to take you away from here. Yes, there is a small glitch in the adoption, but it is nothing for you to concern yourself about. Ok?"

Unfortunately Harry as Pam had warned Severus was starting to push those boundaries. Any other time he would have agreed and let Severus handle everything, but he wanted to know if this man was going to push him away if he did not follow instructions to the point or if he made a fuss over something like this. He was also beginning to let his emotions take control of him and once that happened Harry knew it was going to take awhile to reel them back in, but at this moment he could not help it.

"No, It's not ok! I want to know what is going on? What is the glitch?"

Severus tried once again, but he knew it was in vein. He could see the tell tale signs on a tantrum, and he had seen one coming all day. Something was going to set this off sooner or later, but secretly he had hoped that Harry would have waited till Don had gotten here, then at least he would have reinforcements.

"Harry, I need you to calm your breathing."

But, Harry was too far gone to hear Severus's plea. He stood up and flipped the chess board over making a huge crash and causing a few pieces to break. His face was a rash red, and the boy quickly dashed into his room slamming the door behind him.

Severus let out a small sigh and turned to Albus as he got up. "Perfect timing as always Albus. If you will excuse me."

Albus just gave a small sad smile. "I am sorry my boy; I didn't mean this to happen. Can I do anything?"

"I know you didn't. Just sit here and prepare to explain everything to Harry. He is partially right, he may still be a child, but this concerns him and his living arrangements."

Albus nodded and Severus walked to the door Harry retreated into. Quietly he knocked hoping Harry would open the door, but he received no response. Trying the door handle and finding it locked Severus had to pull out his wand to cast an unlocking charm so he could enter.

When he opened the door, he saw Harry standing in the corner facing him with his one good hand up as if he were expecting to be struck. Severus also had to take note of the panicked look in his child's eyes and the quick breathing he had tried to calm not minutes before.

Putting away his wand he slowly he approached the boy with his hands in sight the whole time. When Severus became close enough he dropped down to his knees and rose both hands up to encircle Harry in a hug. He ignored the flinch that came, he just had to let Harry know that he was still loved and he would never hurt him. He hoped his actions spoke louder than words as was often true with situations like this.

It took a few minutes, but Harry finally relaxed into Severus's arms and let his tired legs give away. Since Severus was still holding him the man just gently lowered the boy down so that he was sitting on his bottom.

After Severus felt the boy's breathing calm a bit he pulled back a bit and looked at Harry's glassy eyes. "Feel better now?"

Harry just closed his eyes so Severus drew him back into his chest as he sunk down further onto the floor so that is was more comfortable for the boy who was now seated on his bottom. Sighing he began to gently rub the back of Harry's head as it was firmly pressed to his chest.

"That was a pretty big outburst you had there. I know there is something more behind it, but you can tell me about it when you are ready."

Harry's eyes opened a slight bit as small desperate words escaped his lips. "You're sending me away now."

Severus hold on Harry increased when he heard the child's plea. For that was what it was, a plea to be reassured he would not be sent away.

"No Harry, you can't get rid of me that easily. As long as I live you will be my son and nothing could ever change that."

Harry's gassy eyes looked up at Severus who was looking down at him with warmth in his eyes. With his heart making a small leap Harry's rested his head back onto Severus and let a small sigh escape his lips.

There was one thing he couldn't understand though. "How...how could you want me? I'm nothing, but mess of trouble."

Severus repositioned both of them so that he back was leaning against the wall. He had a feeling it was for the best that he settle in for a longer conversation.

"You're asking the wrong question. I think you mean to ask. 'How could I not want such a sweet, kindhearted child?' For that is what you are and I will tell you that as often as it takes for you to believe it."

Just as Severus was finishing his calming words there was a small knock on the door and Don entered gracefully. Spotting the two on the floor a sad smile escaped his lips as he came and not so gracefully sat on the floor next to them.

"Couldn't you two have picked a more comfortable spot? Like the bed?"

Severus snorted. "Don't blame me."

Harry blushed and turned his face into Severus's robes again making the man let out a small breath.

Gently Don placed a calming hand on Harry's back. "Harry we were just teasing. Can you look at me a moment?"

Don hated doing this, but he was beginning to see from what Pam had told him that he really had little choice in this matter. They had all anticipated an outburst, which was normal, but not him reverting to his earlier fears of being thrown away or hiding something that was hurting him. So when Harry looked at him Don placed a gentle hand on Harry's cheek and locked eyes with him. Tenderly Don pried open Harry's mind and looked for what was really troubling Harry.

Although Don was not as magically capable to enter the mind and stay there for long he could flip past recent memories and if her was honest he never really wanted to learn more. He knew the dangers of looking into someone's mind too much or staying too long and just didn't have the heart to learn how to do that after he had a few patients who had that done to them. He also thought it was almost a cheat for the patient and a shortcut for him to get answers he wanted right away. For this purpose though, he knew Harry was never going to reveal what was bothering him so he really had no choice and was somewhat glad that basic healer training made him lean this skill.

Just a minute passed, and Don retreated Harry's mind with the reason Harry was so upset.

"How many times have you had that dream?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders embarrassed that the Healer now knew what had been bothering him. He also felt a tab bit violated that Don had looked into his mind to find the answer he wanted instead of asking him what was wrong. He knew he wold probably never admit to the dream without Don prodding, but still he had planned to try tonight.

"Ever since I was in the chamber."

Don nodded his mind deep in thought. "And you have been dreaming this every time you fall asleep? Even when you rest during the day?"

Harry looked down, but Severus gently moved so that it would be impossible for Harry to curl into himself. He didn't want Harry to retreat now when they were finally figuring out what had been bothering Harry.

Don rose his eyebrow at the blushing boy. "I will take that as a yes then?"

"I was going to tell you..."

The Healer shook his head. "You and I both know you would not have. Would you like to tell more details of this dream though?"

Don looked over at Severus who was beginning to wonder what this dream entailed. It was not a dream that had made Harry react as he first had when he had come here, but it had caused this sort of meltdown and moodiness.

Harry sighed and looked up at his source of comfort. For some reason he was not very keen of Severus knowing what he had been dreaming, he didn't really know why, it was more a feeling in his chest he could not describe.

Don saw the tentative look Harry gave Severus and called Harry's attention to himself. "Harry, would you like to talk with me alone? Would that make you feel more comfortable?

"Guiltily and slowly Harry nodded his head.

"Ok then, why don't you and I move up to the bed then. Severus?"

Severus gave a small nod. He was a bit hurt that Harry did not want to share his dream with him, but he also understood the need for privacy. He had not told Albus every detail about his past even though he did know big chunks and pieces he had reserved certain information only for Don's ears.

So with little hesitation Severus got up helping Harry off the floor as well. After helping Harry, to rest gently on the bed Severus then headed to the door. Before closing it behind him though he shot, one last glance back at his boy who was now clutching that stuffed cat as if his life depended on it. They were definitely going to have to go shopping for toys again, and soon.

"If you two need anything all you have to do is call for me."

Don nodded and gave the man a gentle look. "We will Severus. Go find out what Albus wanted now and I'll talk to you later."

Severus nodded and left the room closing the door behind him.