Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry sat on the bed with his stuffed animal hugged tightly to his chest and his knees drawn up as Don came and gently sat next to him. When the bed slightly dipped Harry turned his head a bit and looked over at the Healer. He knew he should be comfortable telling his Healer anything, but he could not help feel nervous and frightened with the coming conversation.
Revelations
Harry sat on the bed with his stuffed animal hugged tightly to his chest and his knees drawn up as Don came and gently sat next to him. When the bed slightly dipped Harry turned his head a bit and looked over at the Healer. He knew he should be comfortable telling his Healer anything, but he could not help feel nervous and frightened with the coming conversation.

In return Don let a warm smile grace his face to try to calm the boy before him even further, but knew that a potion would help a lot more than a smile. With that in mind he reached down and fished out the calming potion he always carried with him and held it out for the boy to take.

"It's a calming potion Harry. It will help you keep calm."

Harry nodded and reached out to grab the potion. Carefully the boy tipped back the potion to his mouth and drank it all down. With a grimace at the taste Harry, then handed the empty vial back to the Healer.

"Very good Harry. Now, do you want to tell me your dream?"

Harry pulled his knees a little closer to his chest and held back a small shudder. With another deep breath Harry locked his eyes on a spot on the opposite wall and started to tell Don all about his dream. It hurt his chest to think about it, but he knew he had to talk about it. Specially after what had just happened with the chess board.

"It was really weird. I was in this dark building and I was ordering around this man who kind of looked a rat. He had twitchy hands and a mouse like nose that had these whiskers coming out the sides. First, he asked how lucky it was that those fools had chosen him for secret keeper instead of Black and then he was telling me about how it was actually him who killed those people on the street and not Black, he had just framed him. That he had come as soon as he had heard that I had come back and he was the most loyal of them all.

I told him that he had only come back because he was afraid and...and then I pointed my ward at him and yelled Crucio at him. I...I don't really know what that means, but it looked really painful. I held that curse for a while and watched as I was causing him pain. He withered on the ground and screamed so loud."

Don placed a gentle hand on the boy's arm to keep him calm. The way Harry was talking about this dream, detached, almost scared Don. If he hadn't known that Harry was so terrified of this dream then he would be worrying right now that they had a future psychopath on their hands. Maybe even another dark lord.

Harry looked away form the small point on the wall and slowly turned to Don with confusion written on his face.

"What I can't understand though is why I felt happy about causing him pain. I mean I didn't just feel happy; I felt almost giddy when I was hurting him. How could I feel happy about hurting someone?"

Don closed his eyes for a moment. He honestly was at a loss at what to say to comfort the young boy. Obviously, this was not just a dream by the way he was explaining how he was feeling. He was now stuck between a rock and a hard place though. He knew that he had to tell Dumbledore about this dream, but the Healer's oath forbade him from telling anything to anyone unless it concerned Harry's immediate health and safety.

Before Don could ponder on that any further though, Harry continued on with his dream with that slightly dead look on his face again and stared back at that spot on the wall.

"When I finally stopped that spell the rat man stood up and came over to kiss my feet and thanked me for correcting him. I looked down at him and saw that my body looked really small, almost like a deformed baby with it's bones sticking out all over. We then heard some crash on the stairway so I sent a snake to go check out what it was.

When the snake came back it told me there was a muggle on the stairs, it was the caretaker. I sent Wormtail to bring the intruder forward. He did and when he came back he had an old man by the neck, and he was pointing his wand at him. I...I...then pointed my wand at him and said the killing curse. I...I...killed a man..."

Harry's eyes were filling with tears again and it was hard for Don to ignore the desperate cry for comfort the boy was giving. So Don sat forward a little more and drew Harry's shuttering form to his body.

"There, there Harry. It was just a dream. You didn't kill anyone or cause anyone pain. That was not you."

"But...but it was so real! I felt powerful when I killed that old man and joy that I would soon do that to more people."

"Shhhh calm down Harry. You did not do any of those things, it was just a dream."

Don tried as he might to reassure the child, but at the moment he was more concerned with the boy's breathing. It was beginning to become those quick shallow breaths again despite the calming potion he had given him.

While still holding Harry Don placed a gentle hand on both Harry's chest and forehead and began to send calming magic into his body.

"Take deep breaths now Harry. As deep as you can."

Harry tried as he might, but his body was fighting the calming sensations the Healer was trying to send him. Despite, how much obedience had been beat into him by his relatives a part of Harry still felt as if he didn't deserve comfort and so it would not accept it.

"Please Harry, don't fight me. I just want to make you feel better."

Harry's body would not listen to his mind though, and kept fighting the Healer and all his attempts to calm him. Reluctantly Don pulled another potion from his robes and uncorked it.

"You leave me no choice Harry. You need to swallow this potion, now."

Harry heard the slightly forceful demand and opened his mouth so the Healer could pour the potion down his throat. His hands he knew were shaking too much for him to take hold of anything. As soon as the potion was down Harry gratefully accepted the grip of sleep that was taking hold. He really hoped that was a dreamless sleep potion and not just a sleep potion, he really didn't want to dream anymore.

When Harry was asleep, Don gently lowered him down onto the bed so that he was resting comfortably on his back. Even in the poor boy's sleep Don could tell just how distressed he still was by the way he curled onto his side and drew his knees tight to his chest suffocating the poor stuffed cat.

Sighing Don gently took of Harry's shoes and draped the blanket that was on the end of the bed over him. He then gently rolled Harry over so that he was now facing him so that he could access his arm with better ease. With tender fingers, the Healer took the sling off the boy's arm and gently rolled up the sleeve to reveal the bandaged arm.

This was the reason he had come after all, he might as well tend to it while he could. He knew that as soon as Severus and Albus heard of Harry's dream then he would have little chance to check over this wound.

Yes, he was going to tell the two of what Harry had told him. His Healer's oath had gone out the window the minute Harry had described the last part of his dream. Harry's life might not be in danger physically, but mentally...

Don shook those thoughts from his mind as he unwound the bandage from Harry's arm. Looking at it he sighed and glanced back at Harry's face.

"You really can't catch a break can you?"

Don pulled out the two creams he had brought just in case Harry's arm was irritated and placed them on the bedside table. Dipping his hand in the first jar he pulled up a big glob of the swelling reducer and gently applied it to the red, inflamed arm. When it was all rubbed in the Healer opened the second jar and applied with the same gentle fingers a generous amount of numbing cream so Harry no longer feel his sore arm.

With Harry's arm seen to Don wrapped it up in fresh bandages he cast a sticking charm to Harry's body instead of the sling so that the boy could sleep more comfortably. Then, very gently he pulled the blanket back up to rest underneath Harry's chin, but before moving away from the bed he noticed a red tinge around the scar on the boy's forehead.

Brushing away the hair that partially covered the scar Don could not help, but mutter a, 'That's interesting' to himself. Prodding the spot very gently Don noticed that it not only was red and inflamed, but it was starting to bleed again. Not as viciously as before, but it seemed the scar was splitting open again. Wonderful.

"Severus!"

The man in question opened the door and was looking around worriedly. When he spotted Harry lying on the bed he came over immediately and looked down worriedly at his child.

Very calmly Don looked at Severus. "I need some clean gauze, some tape, and the strongest healing cream you have."

Severus quirked an eyebrow as he gazed down at Harry. "What is going on? Is Harry ok?"

"Severus please go get me those items and then I will tell you everything; Albus should be present as well."

The Potion Master nodded slightly and exited the room to go fetch what Don had asked for. While the man was gone, Albus silently slipped into the room and had come over to see Harry and Don.

"Is it his scar again?"

Don looked over at Albus with raised eyebrows. "You knew this might happen."

Albus sadly nodded. "I have been examining that journal and have found...interesting aspects about it."

Don kept his hand on Harry's head keeping the hair away from his scar as he looked back at Albus with suspicious eyes. "And what did you fail to inform me? You know I need to know things like this so I can properly treat 'your boys' as you call them."

Albus looked down guiltily. "That was actually what I can down to tell you two and some things about the adoption."

The Healer nodded as he turned his focus back to his patent. "Can you go check on Severus? It should not be taking him this long."

With a quick nod Albus was out the door in an instant and back the next moment with the potions and bandages. Don rose a questioning eyebrow as he accepted the medical supplies and started to clean Harry's scar that was now bleeding without a care.

"Severus is sitting by the door with his head between his knees. I think this is all a bit much for him. I'll go see whether he is recovering or needs some help."

Don stilled his movements for a moment so he could close his eyes. "What did you tell him while I was in here with Harry?"

Albus flinched a bit at hearing Don voice so cold, emotionless, and….accusing. It was so unlike the Healer that it was downright scary.

"Nothing. I told him this morning there was a slight problem with the adoption after he asked, but after you came in here with Harry I only tried to offer him comfort. It was obvious he was too distraught just then to break any more bad news."

Don took a breath and opened his eyes. "I'm sorry for assuming Albus. It's just, well, you know..."

"I do and you have ever right assuming I did something foolish. I have before, and I am sure I will again."

Don nodded. "Could you please look after Severus for me while I patch Harry up here? He is going to need a few calming potions and grab one for yourself as well."

The Headmaster rose an eyebrow, but made no comment to him needing a potion. "Very well."

With that Albus left the room to go tend to his adoptive son while Don continued to heal the weeping scar in front of him. He had gently cleaned the wound and then applied the healing cream to try to close it some, but it seemed fruitless. Sighing he realized that he was going to have to close it the muggle way. Don was very glad Harry would asleep for this. He knew the boy would not find this pleasant if he were awake.

Reaching into his pocket Don pulled out his mini first aid kit he always carried around. One may never know when they are caught without the use of magic, and Don always believed in being prepared. Opening up the kit Don took out the thread and needle that was attached to it and set it on the table next to him.

Don then opened the numbing cream back up and pulled out a small glob. Gently he smeared it over the boy's scar and then grabbed the needle he had put down. With a sigh, the Healer placed one hand over the scar and held it together while the other skillfully stitched the scar together to stop the bleeding.

When he was finished, he put some more of the healing cream over the scar knowing that with the help of the stitches the cream would now do it's job and the thread would dissolve in a few hours. He then took hold of the bandages one more time and tenderly put it over the scar and taped it together.

With Harry's scar taken care of for now Don looked down at the boy on the bed and gave a sad smile. Summoning over another blanket he covered the small form and had to really marvel at how small Harry looked when he was sleeping. He truly looked like a child when he was relaxed.

Brushing back the messy mop once more Don took off the glasses he had neglected to pluck of earlier and placed them on the nightstand and then went in search of the two other occupants of Severus's rooms.

As soon as Don stepped out of Harry's room he spotted Albus hovering over and fretting over a distraught Severus. Walking over to the couch Don picked up the few calming potions Albus surely had neglected to grab by the looks of things.

When he was closer to the two though he noticed a certain glassy look in Severus's eyes and knew the opposite was true. Severus seemed to have taken too many calming potions instead of none.

Gently Don came and placed a guiding hand on Albus's arm. "Albus come sit down and please take this."

Albus let himself be guided to the chair near the couch and took the potion downing it in one gulp.

With Albus, somewhat taken care of he went back over to Severus and sat down next to him placing a hand on his forehead.

"How many potions did you take Severus?"

"Four."

Don sighed and removed his hand from Severus's forehead. "I understand this is a stressful situation Severus, but overdosing is not the answer. Now, look at me so I can bring you back to the living world."

Severus turned and looked at the healer. "Sorry."

"It's ok Severus."

Don looked into Severus's eyes and placed a hand on each of his shoulder. Calmly Don started to send spurts of energizing magic to wake Severus from his potion induced daze. After a few minutes, Severus eyes started to uncloud as he became more aware of his surroundings.

"There we go Severus." Don removed his hands from Severus's shoulder and looked over at Albus to see how the old man was doing.

"Ok, are we all ready to discuss everything?"

Albus nodded from his seat in the chair and Severus muttered a quick 'yes'.

"Do you want to begin with what is going on with the adoption Albus?"

Albus sat forward in his chair and rested his hands on his knees while slowly nodding.

"This morning I told you about that distant cousin that social services have found. It seems that he and his wife have agreed to meet Harry and have asked that he come and spend a week with them."

The older wizard took a slow breath in and then looked directly at Severus.

"I know this might seem as they are trying everything to make yours and Harry's lives miserable, but you have to look at it the way they see things. They do not know how close you and Harry have become. To them they just see you as a single bachelor, a former death eater, and a Professor who barriers himself in his work. Then, they look at his cousin and his wife and they see two people who can provide a stable loving home for Harry. They are trying to do their best for Harry; they just cannot see the whole picture because they don't know it.

So, not tomorrow, but the next day I set up for one of the social workers to stop by and see how you interact with Harry. Then, next week Harry is going to go out and spend a week with his cousin. Even if Harry does not live with them it would be good for him to get to know that last bit of his family, and it might even help them see just how attached you two are."

Severus nodded his head slowly. Normally, the man would be the panicking, but the potions he had taken earlier were preventing him from thinking too deeply on anything distressing.

Don placed a gentle hand on Severus's shoulder. "How do you feel Severus?"

"I'm ok." Severus looked up at Albus. "Who makes the final decision where Harry stays permanently?"

"Harry does since he is almost a teenager they view him capable of choosing. The social worker will just make sure that whatever home he does decide to reside in is a safe environment for him. If he decides to stay with you, which I am sure he will, then a social worker will stop by every few weeks unannounced to make sure everything is ok."

"He has to stay with them a full week? Will I be able to communicate with him to make sure he is ok?"

Albus shook his head. "No, he does not need to, but it would be best if he stayed there as long as he can. As for keeping in contact, I have already solved that problem. Before I came down here, I dug out a set of two way journals you can use to talk with each other."

"Thank you Albus...for everything."

"Don't thank me yet Severus." The Headmaster looked at Don and gave him a questioning glance. "Should I continue on with the journal?"

Don nodded. "Maybe it will shed some light on Harry's dream."

Severus's head whipped around to look at Don questionably. "What was his dream about?"

Don gave the man a gentle smile. "You know, normally I would not tell a living soul about what someone confided in my, but this is a different matter. Let's let Albus tell us about the journal and then I'll tell you about Harry's dream."

Severus nodded and looked back at his mentor waiting for answers.

"I'll start from the beginning then. As you two know the journal that was both in Ginny Weasley's and Harry's possession was no ordinary journal. It was one that had a type of magic infused in it that is not widely known. It was a horcrux made by Tom Riddle himself."

Severus looked stunned. "How is that possible and how did it make here to Hogwarts?"

"I do not know my boy. I have been trying to trace down a specific memory that could be the key in all this, but it seems that person is being elusive. As for how it got here I have an idea how it got here, but I do not want to place blame somewhere it is not indeed true."

"You believe Malfoy Senor gave Ginny that journal."

"Yes, but I don't want to let him know our suspicions. Understood?" Albus gave a somewhat stern glance at Severus whom in turn nodded.

"Good. Now, let me continue. From information, I have gathered it appears that this is not the only horcrux Voldemort has made. In fact, it seems that he has made five more of them on purpose and one...well, on accident."

Albus gave a significant look towards the door of Harry's room.

Severus looked at Albus with raised eyebrows and an unbelieving look on his face. "You mean Harry is the seventh?"

Albus gave a grave nod, but before he could speak Don interrupted him. "That would explain his dream, and the feelings he said he had when he was viewing said dream."

Shakily Severus looked at Don. "What...what did he dream?"

Don sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them again he began telling all about Harry's dream. It was a long, drawn out expiation, but Don knew that these two needed to know every detail including Harry's scar splitting open and why he thought that happened.

When he was finished explaining everything, Severus was looking at him with a slight horror in his eyes. "You think The Dark Lord has a connection to him through he scar?"

Don nodded. "It is quite obvious by the way he was explaining how it felt to kill someone."

Severus couldn't suppress a shudder that racked through his body. Just the thought of having the evil man in his mind was enough to make him flash back to when it had happened and that was not something he particularly liked to remember. In fact, he preferred to never be reminded of those days ever again.

Albus looked up sadly from his hands. "I fear that it more than just that my boy. I believe that his scar holds part of Voldemort's soul."

At this very moment Severus was glad for the calming potions running through his system, without them he didn't know what he would have done. Well, he did know he would have destroyed everything in this room, but that was besides the point.

"Can...can we get it out of him?"

Don patted Severus on the knee so that he would look at him. "I'm going to look into how to remove dark magic from someone, and we will figure out something. Meanwhile, if he has any strange dreams or acts abnormally you need to contact both myself and Albus."

Severus gave a silent nod and rested his head in his hands. That is until an idea struck him. "What about when he goes to see that cousin of his? What if something happens when he is there?"

"Don't worry Severus I am going to place a long distance monitoring charm on him so I will know whether he is in any distress. Although, he might have these dreams and not show anything outwardly that the charm will pick up so I am going to need you to keep track of his mental health with those journals."

Severus gave a small nod. "Will he be able to attend school tomorrow? I know he does not want to get any further behind."

"By morning, he will be fine. We need to tell him of everything that has taken place tonight. Though maybe a bit more watered down. Just what he needs to know and nothing more. I don't want to send him into a panic attack."

Both of the other adults nodded in agreement, but it was Albus who spoke. "Should we tell him anything about his scar? I don't want to frighten him unnecessarily."

"Yes, it would not be wise to keep things like that from him. It is his body, and he needs to know what is happening to it. Wouldn't you be suspicious if you went into surgery without knowing why?" The Healer gave Albus a slightly scolding look, for he knew that if it were up to Albus Harry would know no more than what was in front of his nose.

Chastised Albus looked down nodded. "I understand."

"Good, now what about Sirius Black? If Harry's dream was true, then he is innocent."

Again Albus nodded. "I will take care of that. I can see whether I can get him a trial and get him out if he is truly innocent."

Albus then looked at Severus. "I'll will also see whether I can get in contact with Remus Lupin. Maybe it would be good to have him around. It would show child services that Harry has more than just you for support. It also might be beneficial to have someone else who can tell Harry about his parents. You know how close he and Lily were."

Severus closed his eyes for a second and then opened them as he got up off the couch. Slowly he moved over to one of the charmed windows in his chamber and looked out to the setting sun over the black lake.

Sighing Don gave a significant look to Albus before getting up and moving to place a gentle hand on Severus's shoulder. He knew the man had never really gotten over that night with the Marauders in the Shrieking Shack. It had been a really close call for Severus.

"You know that Remus had no part in that prank. He was as much a victim as you were."

"I know. I just can't help, but feel...fear when he is around."

"Remember we have those breathing exercises and I will be there for you."

Severus nodded still looking over at the whomping willow. "I know and I'll be fine."

"Good. You will call me if you are not?"

"I will."

Don patted Severus on the shoulder and turned to look at Albus nodding.

"I should go and make some arrangements then."

Albus got up from the chair and before leaving the room he walked over to Severus. "I'm here for you too Severus. Don't forget that."

Severus gave a small nod still looking out the window. "Thank you Albus, for all your help."

"It's my pleasure my boy. Do you want me to come back later to help explain everything to Harry?"

"No it's ok, I think it would be best if it were just me." Severus turned to look at Don and gave him a small look.

The Healer gave the man an understanding nod. Severus wanted to be alone with his child.

"I will see you two later then." With a final pat on the shoulder and smile Albus went over to the floo and flooed back to his office. He had many things to do now that he knew everything. He really hoped that he could get in touch with Remus. Like he had said it would look good to Severus to have that extra support for Harry, but he also knew that the man would help Serius, if he were innocent, heal from his stay with the Dementors.

As soon as Albus left the room Don turned back to Severus and gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze. When Severus turned to him he could see that the potions were slowly wearing off; the glassy look in his eyes was slowly fading away.

"How are you feeling Severus."

"I think I'm going to be ok. Could you please see what can be done to get that thing out of my son?"

"I will Severus, I can go do that now if you want?"

"Please?"

Ok then. If you need me just call."

With a small nod from Severus Don exited and flooed back to his office as well. He understood Severus's need to be alone at the moment. He had just learned some very disturbing facts, and his mind needed time to process it all.

When Severus heard the floo go off behind him again he let his shoulders slump and brought a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose to ease the headache he felt coming.

Standing the like the for a few more minutes Severus resolved that he would do anything in his power to keep Harry with him. Even if the meant acting chummy around the wolf that had almost killed him. Harry was worth it.

Bringing his hand down Severus walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a headache potion to ease what he knew was coming and then gulped it down in one slug. Feeling slightly better he then crossed over to Harry's room so that he could sit with his child until he woke. Before he entered though, he called a house elf and asked her to make sure dinner was ready when Harry woke. He would like it if the child ate something before they went into all the details.

A couple of hours later night was fast approaching, and Harry was slowly opening his eyes. Before even thinking about everything that happened, he spotted the blurry figure by his bed and smiled.

"Daddy."

His Daddy came over and gently placed his glasses on his nose, and he gently smiled down at him.

"Hi there Harry, how are you feeling?"

Harry closed his eyes and let everything that had happened that day wash over him. When he opened his eyes he looked down at his blankets while sitting up. Immediately, his hand went up to feel his scar and he frowned when he felt the bandages there.

"Did I hurt myself?"

Severus shook his head while he sat on the edge of Harry's bed. "No child. Your scar split open again."

Harry looked up confused. "Why?"

"We're not really sure, but Albus has an idea. Don is off right now trying to find something that will stop that from happening."

Harry gave a small nod and continued to look down. Through his fringe, he looked up at Severus shyly. "Are you mad at me. I broke some of your chess pieces."

"No child, I am not mad at you. We will have to work on your temper though."

Harry blushed a bit while his head dropped a little. "I'm sorry."

"There is no need, do you want to see the chess board and pieces. Albus fixed them all for me."

Again, Harry blushed while he shook his head. He really could not believe he had acted like such a baby. First, he destroyed his daddy's things and then he had stormed in here and sobbed into his daddy's robes and then Don's as he put him to bed. What more could he do to embarrass himself?

Reading Harry's mind, because honestly everything was written all over his face, Severus gently rose Harry's chin with his hand.

"You have nothing to embarrassed about either. Don and I are more than happy to hold you when you are upset."

Harry nodded feeling a bit better. At least he wasn't being laughed at. He still felt like a big baby though. He was all of twelve years old; he should not be acting this way.

Severus let out a small sigh. "Come on let's get some dinner in you and then I will tell you everything that has gone on while you were sleeping."

Harry gave a small nod while he pulled the two blankets he assumed Don had placed on his down to the end of the bed. Feeling the warmth being ripped away he gave a slight shiver and stood up.

"Are you cold?"

"No, I'm ok."

Severus looked at the boy with a critical eye. "Why don't you put on a sweater just in case then. It is chilly tonight."

Harry gave a small nod, but frowned when he tried to move his arm. Questionably he looked up at Severus who gave him a small smile.

"I'm assuming Don placed a sticking charm on it. Do you want me to take it off and then put it back in the sling?"

"Yes please."

Nodding Severus pulled out his wand and canceled the sticking charm on the boy. He then watched as Harry went over and grabbed a jumper and pulled it over his head being very careful of his arm.

Severus remembering what Don had said earlier about Harry's arm hurting grabbed up the sling and walked over to the boy. Gently he fixed the sling around the boy so that his arm was resting comfortably, but instead of leading Harry out to the kitchen he kneeled down in front of the boy.

"Harry, Don said that your arm was swollen and it must have been painful. Why didn't you say anything?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Didn't think it really mattered."

Closing his eyes for a moment Severus took a deep breath before reaching forward to embrace the boy. "It matters Harry. It matters a lot and I want you to tell me if you feel the slightest bit of pain. Understand?"

Severus pulled back and looked Harry straight in the eye. "I need you to promise me to tell someone if you are hurt, or you feel any pain. Can you do that?"

Harry shuffled his feet a bit and looked down. "I'll try."

Severus gave a sad smile knowing that was all the boy could give him. "That's all I ask for. Now, food I think it's calling your name. Or at least your stomach is calling to it. I heard that grumble!"

Harry blushed again and watched as Severus got off his knees and smiled when he saw the older man smiling at him.

Taking the hand that was offered to him Harry fallowed his daddy out of the room and into the kitchen for the meal his stomach had been begging for the last hour or so. He knew taking the offered hand was being childish, but he thought he would indulge his daddy. Or at least that's what he told himself.

When they reached the kitchen table it was filled with food that they both knew they would never be able to finish, but sat down anyway and after a few potions started to dig in.

Halfway through the meal though, Severus looked over at Harry and saw the boy just playing with his food. Sighing Severus placed down his fork and looked intently at the boy fiddling with his mashed potatoes.

"Are you alright there Harry?"

He knew Harry was probably just nervous about the upcoming conversation, but he had to make sure Harry was feeling alright, just in case.

The boy gave a small nod. "I'm sorry, I'm just not that hungry."

Severus summoned up two nutrition potions and handed one to the boy as it was obvious neither one was going to be able to eat any more. "Don't be sorry Harry. Just drink up that potion and then we'll talk. Ok?"

Harry gave a small nod and then downed all the contents of the potion Severus had handed him. The man stood up and downed his own potion knowing Don would scold him if he did other wise.

As Harry stood up Severus reached out and gently placed a guiding arm around his shoulders. Leaving the room a house elf popped behind them and to answer the unasked question Severus asked him to leave the food on the table for a while. Maybe later Severus could get Harry to eat some more fruit or something. While nutrition potions helped there really was no substitute for real food?

Sitting down next to Harry on the couch he faced the boy and tried as gently as he could to explain the situation.

"As you heard from Albus earlier, something has come up with the adoption. You see social services have found a distant cousin of yours. He and his wife wish to meet you."

Harry looked down at his lap. "You mean they wish to take me from you."

Gently Severus placed an arm around the boy's shoulders again in an attempt to comfort him.

"Not necessarily. For right now, they just want to spend some time with you so that you can get to know them. Next week, unless you really don't want to, they want you to come and stay with them for a few days."

Harry looked up at Severus with worry in his eyes. "I don't want to leave you. What if I leave and cannot come back? And what about school? I can't miss anymore, I'm already behind!"

Patting Harry gently on the shoulder Severus shook his head. "You will always be able to come back here if that is what you want. Albus has also setup a set of journals we will be able to use to communicate with each other. As for school I think Don mentioned something about Pam coming by to make sure you stay with the rest of your class."

"You mean I'll be able to talk with you even though you won't be there and I won't fall behind?"

"That's right Harry and you will also be able to call Don whenever you want as well. It won't be so bad, you'll see."

Harry gave a small nod and with a small sigh Severus continued.

"A social worker will also be visiting us the day after tomorrow to see how we are doing. I promise you they will be nothing like Madam Roloon. They will be here only to see whether you are happy and to talk with you about where you would like to stay."

Harry gave another small nod. "Will you be here?"

"I will be here if you want me to be here. They might ask to talk to you alone for a little while though."

"Ok, as long as you're here and I can come back."

"Good. There are some other things that you need to know about. As you know your father and I did not get along that well. A couple of his friends though might come by to see you if that is ok with you. One of them is your godfather and the other I know loved you very much when you were a baby."

Harry looked down with a hint of betrayal in his eyes. "If they loved me so much why didn't they come for me sooner?"

Severus reached over and hugged the boy close to his chest while resting his chin on the boy's head. As much as he didn't want to defend the remaining Marauders he knew what the boy needed to hear.

"I'm sure if they had known they would have come Harry, as I would have. We have all made a grave mistake, and you have paid the price. There is nothing more I can say except I am sorry and we are all working to make your life better."

Harry buried his face deeper in Severus's robes and listened to that ever calming heart beat. Closing his eyes he mumbled something inaudible for the man to hear.

Pulling the child a bit back from his chest Severus looked at the tired, drawn face. "What was that child?"

Harry looked up at Severus and blushed a bit. "I love you daddy."

Severus pulled Harry back to his chest sighing. "I love you too child and I always will, no matter whom you decide to live with."

Keeping the child close to him Severus closed his eyes cursing there ever being a need to continue with this dreadful topic.

"You know that dream you told Don about?"

The man felt a slight nod against his chest and the slight tensing at the mention of the awful memory. Knowing that Harry would probably be better off feeling more secure he made no protest to move the boy so he could look at him.

"Well, the Headmaster thinks he knows why you were having that dream. It is a bit complicated, but the watered down version is that it has something to do with your scar. Somehow when the Dark Lord tried to end your life, he transferred part of himself into your scar and so what you saw was the dark lord himself. You did not actually kill anyone or cause any pain it was the dark lord."

Severus could feel the boy's breath start to speed up and he knew this was the time to sum up the conversation and start to calm him. Giving him any more facts about the horcrux would just upset him further, and it was unnecessary for him to know about that. They would take care of all the other horcruxs. This boy did not need any more burdens to way on his shoulders.

Gently the man began to rub soothing circles on Harry's back. "Calm down Harry. Right now, Don is at the hospital looking for a way to remove the dark magic from your scar. Until then I will help you clear your mind and protect it before you go to sleep to prevent you from having any more dreams like that."

Again, Harry nodded slightly against the man's chest as his breathing slowed back to normal. It was scary thinking you had another person in your mind, but knowing that Don was looking how to take it out, and his daddy was going to help keep those real-feeling dreams from coming.

After a few more moments of silence, Severus felt Harry pull back a little. Letting the boy do what he felt comfortable with Severus looked Harry in the eyes.

"Are you alright there Harry?"

Slowly Harry gave a small nod, but looked questionably up at Severus while his hand went up to his scar. "Is that why I have a bandage over my scar and It feels all itchy?"

"Don said that after you told him your dream your scar split open and it refused to close. He had to stitch it with muggle stitches to hold it closed and then heal it."

Harry absently started to rub at the bandages until Severus's hand came and gently stopped him.

"Try not to touch it Harry. It's still healing. That's why it's all itchy."

Harry nodded and let his daddy gently remove his hand.

"Why don't we go back to the kitchen. Do you think you're up for a little fruit and ice cream?

Harry smiled and nodded. He had discovered at Hogwarts that was his favorite desert.

Severus helped the boy off the couch and followed behind him as they went back to the kitchen.

Maliciously one of the house elves had heard his request for a change of food and on the table lie two bowls of fruit and vanilla ice cream.

Shaking his head Severus swore that one day he would figure out how the house elves knew exactly when to change the food. The spy part of him said that they must have ears in all rooms listening to everyone, but then the rational side of him denounced that idea. There were only so many elves, and it was impossible to be more than one place at ones. They must have a special charm that only house elves could perform that activated whenever there was a mention of food. That had to be it.

Snapping out of his mind Severus looked to the boy who was now sitting back across the table from him. He just had to smile at the way the boy was devouring his desert it was just, dare he say it, cute. Merlin, he was becoming soft.

With one last look at the boy, Severus began to eat his own desert.

After Harry was finished demolishing off his food, Severus pushed his almost empty bowl in front of himself and rose an eyebrow at Harry.

"Now, I know how to get you to eat. Offer you fruit."

Harry blushed and looked down at his lap. "Sorry sir. It's just that back at the Dusley's I was never able to have anything fresh and so I really like fresh fruit."

Severus gave a quick nod trying to keep his face the calm mask it was currently. Showing anger to Harry's statement would only frighten the boy, and nothing productive would come of that.

"Please stop apologizing Harry, there is no need for you to be sorry all the time. I was just teasing you, you silly child."

Harry blushed and looked down. "I'm so..."

Halfway into apologizing though, Harry placed a hand over his mouth to stop himself. It had become a reflex from living with his relatives to apologize even if he had done nothing wrong.

Severus looked at the wide eyed boy amused. "I think it's almost time for bed. Why don't you go wash up and get in your pajamas?"

Harry gave a small nod and got up to do as Severus had asked. First going to his room to gather his clothing and the into the bathroom to clean up and change.

As Harry was getting ready for bed Severus went over to the bookshelf in his room and dug for the book he had treasured in his youth, "The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales". The tales were old and a bit grim, but some of the best he could remember.

Carrying the warn book out of his room he walked over to Harry's room and set it on the bedside table. He could still hear the shower running so he pulled up a chair beside Harry's bed and sat down. He would wait for Harry here instead of trying to do something only to be interrupted by the boy when he was finished. At least that was what he told himself, he would never admit that he just wanted to spend as much time as he could with Harry while he could.

In truth, while he had sounded calm in front of Harry about him spending time with his relative inside he was reeling at the mere thought of losing his child, even if it was just for a short time. It really was amazing how Harry had somehow wormed his way into his heart.

Just a few minutes later Severus heard the tell tale pitter patter of feet coming down the hall. Turning slightly he saw Harry slip into his room only to be startled at the sight of Severus. Apparently, he had not expected to see Severus sitting they're waiting for him.

Smiling at the boy he gently patted the bed. "Hop on in Harry."

Harry nodded and slipped into his bed. Severus came over and gently tucked the boy in so that the covers were just below his armpits.

"I have a story book here that I thought you might like. Would you mind if I read some of it out loud?"

The boy's eyes grew wide. No one had ever read to him before. Sure Dudley had gotten story every night before he went to bed that is until he had declared himself to old for such a thing, but he had never had the chance. Once or twice he had tried to listen in from behind the closed door, but that last time he was caught, and he could vividly remember what had happened afterword.

Harry suppressed a shutter at his line of thinking and nodded his head. "I...I would like that."

Severus gave him a small smile. "Good. Now lie back and relax."

The man then grabbed up the story book and sat back in the chair he had occupied before tucking the small boy into bed. Opening up the book he began to read the first story, "The Frog King".

Just a half hour later Severus noticed the small boy's eyes drooping closed. Marking his place with a small white ribbon he had stolen from Minerva's office, it wasn't his fault that it made the perfect bookmark and she had left it out in plane sight, he closed the book, and set it back on the bedside table. He then quietly stood up from his chair and plucked the glasses from Harry's face placing them on top of the book.

"That's it Harry, nice and relaxed."

Gently he placed a hand on each side of Harry's head and softly entered his mind. Once there he put up the strongest shields he could as quick as he could. It would do no good to linger. When he was finished he left just as softly as he came, but he now knew his child was safe every way possible.

Coming back to his own body Severus removed his hands from the now sleeping child and pulled the covers up to beneath his chin, making sure his arms were covered so he would not gain a chill. He then bent down and placed a gentle kiss on the boy's forehead.

"Goodnight my child. Have pleasant dreams and I promise you everything will work out just fine."

With that Severus exited the room whispering a quick nox as he did.