Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you Lady Destiny for being my amazing beta! You are awesome! :)

Severus was not a happy man at this very moment. After Harry had written to him last, he could not quiet his mind. He knew there was something wrong with his child. He just knew it, call it a father's instinct. It was the way Harry had tried to avoid telling him what he had for lunch that really bothered him. He knew the child had been lying to him. It was like a sixth sense, he could always tell when a child lied to him, especially his own. He supposed that was why children really found him so scary. He could always weasel out the truth without doing much more than giving them that look.
Healing
Severus was not a happy man at this very moment. After Harry had written to him last, he could not quiet his mind. He knew there was something wrong with his child. He just knew it, call it a father's instinct. It was the way Harry had tried to avoid telling him what he had for lunch that really bothered him. He knew the child had been lying to him. It was like a sixth sense, he could always tell when a child lied to him, especially his own. He supposed that was why children really found him so scary. He could always weasel out the truth without doing much more than giving them that look.

Getting up from the seat behind his desk, Severus began to pace the room with his hands behind his back. It had been a long day, his child had been taken from him, and if that wasn't enough then all this madness had happened. Worry was quickly becoming his middle name.

As he continued to pace the room, Severus heard the floo go off in the other room. He knew it was Don coming to check up on him so he didn't bother going to greet the man. After his conversation with Harry, he had called Don right away. He really hoped the Healer could do something to ease this worry that was threatening to make his heart beat right out of his chest. Merlin, when had he become Molly Weasley?

When Don came in the room Severus looked up at the man, but kept pacing back and forth. He was agitated, and he had to do something to keep his body moving. It had taken too long for Severus's taste for Don to get here.

"There is something wrong. I know there is something wrong with Harry." He spoke immediately, not bothering to greet the man.

Don came over and placed a gentle hand on Severus's shoulder causing the man to stop walking back and forth.

"Did he say anything to you Severus? Anything to indicate that he was hurt in anyway?"

Severus looked up at Don and shook his head. "Not in so many words, but it was rather clear to me that had nothing to eat since breakfast. He said he had lunch, but I can tell he was lying to me."

With a concerned look, Don looked the worried man up and down. "May I see what he wrote to you?"

Severus nodded and went over to grab the book and turned to the page where Harry had shed his tears. Quietly he handed the book to Don and really hoped that this would be enough to convince the Healer that something was wrong.

"Look," he pointed.

The Healer read the few pages that Harry had written in, but then closed the book and placed it gently on the table beside the couch. Sighing Don gave Severus a sad look.

"I can't legally do anything. If he had said anything was wrong or called me I could go and take him, but until he does so I can't really do anything more than check on him. Already, they are bending the rules for me to go and see him."

Severus looked at the Healer ,hopefully. Before this day, he had thought he was above begging, but for his child, he would do anything. "Could you check on him then? Please? Make sure he is alright."

"I was going to check on him in the morning, but I could go back tonight without raising too much suspicion as if he had forgotten something."

The Potion Master's eyes brightened immediately, and he raced to Harry's room to grab the toy Harry had left behind. When they were packing, Harry had said that he had only wanted to take his small toy to save room. Severus knew though that the while boy liked the lion, he had never really attached to it the way he had his stuffed cat. Right now, he was thankful Harry had left it behind.

Picking up the lion from the boy's bed, Severus raced back out of the room and gave the animal to the Healer. "Could you give this to Harry? He forgot it and he can't sleep without it."

A white lie, but for right now Severus's didn't care. If this would get Don to check on his child then he would live with the small lie.

Don nodded seriously getting what Severus was doing. "I guess I will just have to deliver this to him then before he goes to bed tonight."

Severus gave a small smile and let out a breath of relief. He really hoped that Harry was fine and enjoying his time with his cousins, but if he wasn't he knew Don would take him out of there. "Thank you. You will bring him back home if something is wrong?"

Sighing just a bit Don shook his head. "I want to bring him here, but I don't know whether that will affect the adoption since he is supposed to be spending a week away from you. I will take him to The Clinic if he is hurt since that is a neutral place. It is a place of healing and the Ministry cannot touch him there."

"Can I see him when he's there?"

Don came over and placed a gentle hand on the man's shoulder. "Not until the Ministry says so. I don't want anything else to hold up the adoption. Harry needs you and you need him."

Severus deflated visibly before his eyes and heaved a deep breath. "I can't see him."

Giving the man's shoulder a gentle squeeze Don shook his head. "Not yet Severus, not yet."

With another sigh Severus slumped down into the chair that was conveniently behind him. Looking up Severus gave the Healer a hopeful look.

"Tell Harry I love him."

"I will Severus. I should go see him now. It's after dinner, and it should be near his bedtime. Do you want me to call Albus before I leave so that he can stay with you?"

Looking down into his lap, Severus nodded.

Coming over Don softly squeezed Severus's hands. "I'll be right back then."

Walking over to the floo, Don quickly called Albus and asked him to come watch Severus. It was obvious how agitated and stressed Severus was, and Don didn't particularly want to leave him alone in that state. Severus was a spy after all and Don knew that what he showed on the surface was only ten percent of what the man was actually feeling.

In the next moment Albus stepped through. With a quick nod to Don, the Headmaster went over to Severus's side and sat down in the chair across from him. With a gentle hand on Severus's knee Albus looked up and gave a grateful nod to the Healer.

Don nodded back and walked over to the fireplace with the stuffed Lion in his hand. When the green flames turned back to orange Severus leaned forward and rested his head in his hands. Slowly the tears started to flow while Albus transfigured the chair into a couch and sat next to the man. Without any words, Albus just drew the man close to his body and let him sob himself out.

Severus missed his boy so much and he knew in his heart that something was wrong. Something was very wrong.

Harry lay on the floor in the corner curled up in a ball trying to get some kind of sleep. He couldn't believe how much he hurt- he hadn't hurt this much since the last time Uncle Vernon had given him a beating, but this was different. His heart was hurting as well. He couldn't help it, he felt betrayed although deep down he knew he could call for help whenever he wanted. Ignoring that train of thought and with a small shudder he thought back to just how he had gotten here in the first place.

After just a few minutes of reading a fairy tale out of the book Severus had given him, Harry had nodded off to sleep again. For some reason he was really tired and just could not help, but close his eyes and drift off.

He was awoken though by a hard kick from a boot in his chest as he was ripped from his bed and thrown to the floor. Opening his eyes Harry realized that he had been screaming from a nightmare he could not remember, but in truth he was waking to a very real one. Again, he covered his head with his arms and pulled his knees up to protect his sensitive stomach.

"Look at what you did, you dirty little runt! You ruined my good sheets with your filth! You're no better than a dog! I'll send my husband in right away to teach you your place, you filthy little animal. I don't know why the hell we agreed to take in the first place!"

As Harry heard the door slam close he quickly got up ignoring all the hurt he was feeling and moved to the corner; self preservation was taking over. He knew that these people had the advantage here. They could use magic, even though they had yet to do so, and he could not, plus they were much bigger than him. He knew there was no chance of escape, so he did the only thing he could think to do. He curled up in the corner with one side pressed up against the wall, his arms protecting his head and his knees protecting his stomach.

Fortunately for Harry he had made the right move in moving to protect himself so quickly for the door burst open, and Mark stood there with his belt in hand. As the man came closer he not only started yelling at Harry, but his boot connected hard with Harry's side, and the boy heard a sharp crack. Yelping ever so slightly at the broken rib Harry braced himself for what he knew was coming.

"How dare you ruin our sheets with your disgusting urine! If it takes all night I will teach you not to ruin nice things that are beneath you!"

Mark Diaz began wielding his belt at full force to a flinching Harry. The boy did all he could to not cry out, but the man became frustrated after ten minutes of not receiving a sound and kicked the boy hard in the ribs again. Surprised at the new sudden pain Harry cried out making his cousin laugh out loud.

"There we go, cry like the animal you are!"

Silently tears cascaded down the boy's face as the belt cracked down even harder onto his back. He hurt so much, and he wanted to be home with his daddy. Home. It was warm and comfortable there, and he didn't have to fear that he would be hurt all the time.

But, then his daddy and Don had sent him here. Well, he knew that the Ministry had made him come here, but he couldn't help, but feel a little betrayed. His daddy had said he would never be hurt like this again.

Finally after many long minutes of the belt raining down on Harry's innocent back the pain stopped being built upon. Panting Mark stepped back from the bleeding and broken boy. He then drew his wand and pointed it at Harry.

"Crucio!"

Harry withered on the floor in pain as the spell hit him. Screaming out in agony Harry's tears increased. He had never experienced this kind of pain before, and he could not believe just how much every bone and muscle hurt in his body.

Two more times that spell hit Harry full force. When Mark had exhausted himself completely he put his wand back in his sleeve and stepped back even more towards the door.

"You're just lucky I'm tired. I'll be back to finish your lesson later, you hear me?"

Harry gave a small nod remembering the last time he had not answered right away. Seemingly the man was satisfied for he threw down his bloody belt he was still holding and left the room slamming the door on the way out.

Knowing he was alone again Harry carefully leaned against the walls and began to check over his wounds. His back was raw and his shirt was covered in blood, he had a broken rib and his pants were wet from having another accident. It seemed that while that spell had not left physical scars like the belt had he was shaking all over.

Carefully, with a hand bracing the wall Harry stood up shaking violently and started limping over to change into fresh clothing. He hated the dirty; sticky feeling he had right now. If only he could have a shower or be healed. At that last thought Harry closed his eyes. He knew he could call Don for help, but he was just so….ashamed.

Sighing Harry slowly stripped down to his shorts and put on new clothing. He hated ruining the new clothes Severus had gotten him, but he just could not stand staying in the same bloodied clothing.

When he was finished changing Harry slowly limped back to his corner and curled back into a ball. He wanted to take a small nap, but he didn't want to be caught off guard so he figured he would just be prepared in case his cousin came back. Every time his Uncle had caught him while he wasn't paying attention, it had been so much worse. He did not want to find out just how much worse it got here.

Closing his eyes Harry awoke again a little while later, but this time it was to a gentle shake of the shoulder instead of a harsh kick to his ribs. Confused he looked up through the arm that was protecting his face.

"Harry?"

The boy opened his eyes a little bit more, but shrank back from the hand. He was not taking his chances this time. Even though it sounded like the kind Healer, he had been hurt too much in the last few hours to really trust what he thought was real and what was not.

"Harry? What's wrong child?"

Don was worried. When he had come in Harry's room, he had found the boy on the floor in the corner of the room shaking violently. Besides, the shaking which could just mean he was cold, he looked alright, and sleeping peacefully, but the clothes he saw by the dresser spoke differently.

Then when the boy had opened his eyes, he could see how glassy there were. As if he were not really here in the present and reliving something that had happened. Worriedly he gently set a hand on the boy's shoulder, but Harry had flinched back as if being prepared to be hurt. The shaking was now getting worse, and Don was becoming concerned.

Ministry be damned he was taking the boy to The Clinic right now, he needed medical help right away. Obviously, something had happened and by the sight of the bloodied belt by Harry and the clothing in the corner he knew what had happened or at least some of what had taken place.

Sadness and pain laced Don's voice as he tried to reach Harry, trying not to let his emotions show through his voice. "Harry, It's Don. I've come to take you to The Clinic."

Harry looked over at Don from behind his arm that was protecting his face again and this time he saw the Healer for who he really was. Relief and worry flowed through his body. Relief, because he knew he was now rescued from more pain, but worry because he didn't know what the Healer or his daddy would say to him once he was healed. They had both told him to use his pendent to call if he was hurt, and he hadn't. Would they be mad at him for not calling sooner?

Unbeknownst to Harry he was working himself up into a panic attack. The Healer saw the boy's struggle to breath so he gently, careful of whatever wounds the boy had Don scooped the shaking boy up into his arms.

"Breathe Harry. I've got you now, you're safe. Come now Harry, I need you to breathe. Can you do that for me?"

Slowly Harry was able to catch his breath as he melted into the Healer's arms. He was safe. The tears then came as Harry really realized who was holding him. Wrapping his arms around the Healer Harry clung to the man still shaking from that curse.

"I want my daddy! Please, I want my daddy!"

Carefully Don stood up and cast a small weight altering spell on Harry so he could carry him more easily.

"I know, I know, child. Let me get you back to the Clinic and all healed and then I'll see whether I can make it so your daddy can come see you."

Harry nodded still crying and shaking into Don's robes.

Sighing slightly, Don rose his wand again to gather all of Harry's things except for the ravaged ripped clothing and the belt in the corner. He had to leave them here for evidence. For extra precautions, He cast a quick spell on the room so that no one could remove or change anything within it. In just a matter of a few moments, all of Harry's things were packed except for a small toy that had come floating in from downstairs.

Although Don was curious, now was not the time though to ask why Harry had abandoned his beloved stuffed cat. When the cat floated to his hand Don looked down and handed it to the still crying and shaking boy in his arms hoping that it would bring him some sort of comfort. Harry reached out and grabbed the small toy as if his life depended on it and clutched it close to his chest.

Shrinking the two small bags Don placed them in his pocket and set off downstairs to not only get Harry to safety, but to make sure those people would stay where he could sick the Aurors on them. How dare they hurt a child who had seen too much hurt already! It made his blood boil just thinking about it.

Coming down the stairs Don saw the two in question sitting on a couch. Before either of them could move or pick up their wand, Don cast a stunner on them that would last until an Auror freed them. He would not let those two get away. Especially, not until Harry had been avenged.

"You two are lucky I have my Healer's oath preventing me to do any harm. Otherwise, you both would be withering in pain at this moment. Prepare yourselves, the Aurors will be here soon." Though he knew that they couldn't hear him, it gave him some small measure of satisfaction.

With that Don walked out the front door wrapping Harry in his cloak to prevent him from getting a chill. Quickly he walked to the pub and flooed to The Clinic, holding a very hurt Harry.

When they reached, the front desk at the Clinic Don walked to the receptionist keeping Harry covered as much as he could. The boy was still shaking so much, but by now he knew it was not just from cold. There was something more and just thinking of that made his stomach sick. How could anyone do this to a defenseless child?

"Could I have a room please?"

The receptionist looked down at her books and skimmed through the pages.

"It looks as though we're booked at the moment. We have a shared room opening up in a few hours though..."

Don shook his head. "There must be something now. Harry here is quite hurt."

The woman looked up and just then noticed the shaking bundle Don was carrying. Again, the woman looked back down, now realizing the man's emergency.

"It looks like there is a bed open in the emergency ward. You can treat him there until a private room opens up in the children's ward."

Don nodded, relieved. Hoisting Harry further up on his hip so that he had a better grip on him, he wrapped an arm around the child, and placed a gentle hand on the back of the still crying boy's head.

"What bed is open?"

"189 in the left wing."

Don nodded and moved away from the desk and towards the bed in the emergency ward. Reaching his destination, he sat down on the edge with Harry still in his arms. Gently he unwrapped Harry from his cloak while he rested him tenderly so that he could look at the boy.

When Don could see the teary eyes, he brushed back the messy hair.

"Is it alright if I set you down on the bed?"

Harry turned and buried his head in Don's robes still sobbing. That was enough of an answer for him. Harry needed to be healed, but he also needed to he held close. He needed to feel loved.

"Ok Harry. I'm going to call over another Healer to heal you while I hold you, ok?"

Harry nodded his head turning ever so slightly so that his entire face was covered by Don's robes. With Don's free hand, he caught the attention of an emergency healer and beckoned him over.

"Would you mind helping me heal Harry here while I keep him calm?"

"Not at all. Just how was this young man injured?"

Don sent the man a sad look and mouthed the words he didn't want Harry to head. "His relatives."

The emergency Healer's face darkened a moment before he nodded and looked down at the poor child with sympathy.

"Alright then, let's just take off the shirt and see what's going on."

Don held up a hand to stop him. "Could he have an Anti-Cruciatus potion first."

The emergency Healer's eyes widened a bit, but he took a deep breath and nodded. Slowly he walked away and grabbed the potion Don had asked for. Coming back he pulled up a stool and sat down in front of the two on the bed. Uncorking the bottle he placed a gentle hand on Harry's back to gain his attention.

"Harry, can you please take this potion for me? It will help with the shaking and remove some of the pain."

The boy nodded, but made no move to turn his face from Don's robes. Gently Don pulled Harry's face back a little and took the potion from the other Healer.

"Open your mouth Harry. This will taste bad, but you need to take it."

Harry opened his mouth and allowed the Healer to pour the potion down his throat. A few times he sputtered when his crying made his breath hitch, but eventually the whole potion was downed and the shaking slowly stopped.

Handing the vial back to the other Healer, Don gently placed his hand on the back of Harry's head drawing it to gently rest on his shoulder, nestled in his robes.

"That's it Harry, such a good boy."

The other Healer gently reached out again and rested a gentle hand on Harry's back. "Are you ready for me to take your shirt off now?"

Slowly Harry gave a small nod. So carefully the Healer tried to remove the shirt the normal way, but he really didn't want to hurt the child any more than he already was so he pulled out some fabric scissors to cut it off.

"We can mend this afterward if you want Harry, but for right now it has to be cut, alright?"

Harry was too distraught to really answer anyone so he just buried his head a little deeper into his source of comfort and twisted his hands in the soft fabric beneath him.

Sharing a look with the emergency Healer Don brought a hand up and rested it on the back of Harry's head and gently began to stroke the soft, messy hair to try to comfort him at least a little. At the moment Don was just grateful the shaking had stopped.

Gently the emergency Healer began to cut away at Harry's shirt and what he saw beneath made him take in a sharp breath. No wonder the kid was crying his eyes out. How could anyone do that to a child?

When the shirt was removed completely, the Healer got up from the stool he had pulled up in front of the bed to grab what he needed to heal the boy and other things he thought he might need later. He had a sneaking suspicion that what was on the boy's back was not all the troubling the boy.

Coming back to Don and Harry, the emergency Healer first pulled the curtains around the bed to give the boy come privacy and then set all the creams and potions down on the bedside table. Then opening up a jar of disinfectant cream the Healer took out a small glob and began to gently smooth it over the boy's back.

At first, touch Harry went ridged and tried to move out of the Healer's way. It didn't hurt, sure it stung a little, but after what had just happened he didn't really want to be touch by anyone just there. Don tenderly kept his arms gently wrapped around the boy to keep him in place and whispered soothing words into his ear.

Slowly the boy relaxed again in Don's arms that is until the other Healer started to touch him again. Gently Don pulled the boy back just so that he could look Harry in the eyes.

"I know this stings a little Harry, but can you be brave for me? Just for a little while?"

Hesitantly the boy gave a small nod, but choked out a few soft words though his tears.

"I...I do…don't know if I…I can."

Don shot a look at the emergency Healer who gave a slight nod and moved over to pick up a potion he had set down earlier. It was better to heal someone without putting too much magic in their systems when you didn't really know what lay beneath, but it was obvious Harry needed something to relieve some pain.

"How about a pain relief potion to help? It will make you a bit drowsy and make you feel a little funny, but it will make the pain go away."

Harry gave a small nod so Don took the potion from the other Healer and gently put it up against Harry's mouth. With just a few small gulps, Harry drained the vial and with just a few more sobs and tears Harry's eyes closed.

Concerned Don first put his hand over Harry's nose and mouth to make sure he was still breathing and when he was reassured he checked the boy's pulse just to make sure that was there as well. Sure the potion might have made Harry a little sleepy, but for it to put him to sleep he must have been though much more than he had imagined.

Looking up at the other Healer Don gave a small sad smile. "It looks like Harry was more tired than I thought. Thank you for all your help."

The emergency Healer nodded. "I am happy to help. May I ask what really happened?"

Agin Don looked down at the boy in his arms. "It's rather complicated, but the Ministry wanted him to stay with his cousins and needless to say it did not go well."

Picking the jar of disinfectant cream back up, the emergency Healer resumed tenderly rubbing it all over the boy's back. "That seems to be an understatement."

Carefully Don conjured up a wet washcloth and began to clean the boy's face from all the tears he had shed. "It is. I had a bad feeling as I was leaving him there, but I told myself that he would be fine until the morning. It was only a few hours and I thought he had begun to trust us enough to tell us whether something was the matter. I am just glad that Severus could tell something was wrong when he talked with him and made me go check on him."

As Don was cleaning Harry's, face up the other Healer was opening the healing balm and applying it to the still fresh welts on Harry's back. "I may not know the whole story here, but from what I know you cannot blame yourself for this. How were you supposed to know without a doubt that those people were going to hurt him? You and I both know that's the only way you would have been able to stay or take him from that home."

Don sighed as he banished the cloth. "Still I should have done more to make sure he was safe."

Frowning, the emergency Healer placed down the jar of healing balm. "From what I know it sounds as if you did everything you could. You gave him a way to talk with someone he knows and if I am not mistaken that is a summoning charm around his neck. He could have summoned you at anytime or told that person what happened. You cannot blame yourself, when the Ministry or Social Services are involved; our hands become tied to just how much we can do."

Don nodded and sighed. "I guess you are right."

"Of course, I am. Now can you help me remove his trousers?"

With a small nod from Don he started unzipping the front of the boy's pants and tugging them down. When they were as far as Don could get them without dropping Harry the other Healer continued gently tugging them down to his ankles and then off. The emergency Healer summoned a hospital gown and began to gently put it on the boy with Don's help.

When the gown was on, the emergency Healer tugged Harry's shorts down to just below where; the wounds stopped. Gently the Healer started the process all over first, disinfecting the welts, and then gently healing them with the healing balm. When he was finished, he tugged the boy's shorts back up to their proper place and closed the gown as much as it would allow.

With his task done for the moment he looked up at Don. "Why don't you lay him on the bed so we can see whether he has any other injuries."

Sighing Don nodded and got up slowly. From sitting all that time with Harry's weight on top of him he was stiff and aching, but he ignored the feeling, instead focusing on Harry. Gently he laid the boy down on the bed and noticed almost instantly that Harry had a couple of broken ribs. It was disturbingly easy to see his ribs though the gown he was wearing even with all the weight he had put on over the last week.

Turning slightly to the other Healer Don gave him a small sad smile. "Again, thank you for all your help, but I can take it from here."

Nodding the emergency Healer rested a gentle hand on Don's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "Alright then, if you need anything else I'm here until midnight."

Don gave a small nod. "Thank you."

With, that the emergency Healer opened the curtains and closed them again when he was outside the privacy shield. When the man was gone, Don turned back to Harry and pulled out his wand.

Wordlessly he cast a diagnostic spell and watched as the results were written down on a piece of paper by a floating quill. When the quill stopped writing the man grabbed the paper out of the air and began to read.

It seemed that Harry had the two broken ribs he could see, but the boy had also slammed his elbow into something hard and had bruised the bone. What disturbed him though was the small internal bleed he had around the side of his spleen. It was easy to fix, but still that would account to how tired the boy seemed. Bleeding like that took a lot out of you and made you very tired.

Gathering some of the things that the emergency Healer had placed on the bedside table Don set to work healing the poor boy.

He would rather Harry be awake while he healed Harry's ribs, not to cause him pain, but to reassure himself that while healing the boy that he didn't nick his lung or something else. Magic helps and can tell you just about everything about the human body, but still misses things that the naked eye and a physical exam can tell.

Sighing Don cast another diagnostic spell to make sure he hadn't hurt anything while healing the boy's ribs. When he was satisfied that he had not, he grabbed one of the potions by the bed and spelled it directly into Harry's stomach so that it would take effect immediately. He wanted to stop the internal bleeding as soon as possible.

When Don finished healing Harry he picked up the last two potions by the bed and carefully spelled the Blood Replenisher and Dreamless Sleep potions into the boy.

Harry needed to sleep after all this healing, but he didn't want the poor boy to have any nightmares. After the last potion was in Harry's stomach, Don set the vials back down he carefully tucked the boy under the covers making sure his small black cat was tucked in next to the child.

Placing a small monitoring charm on Harry, Don quietly left the privacy curtains. He really wished that he could have done that when Harry was staying at his cousins, but the one disadvantage of the spell was that it was only active for a certain distance. Meaning that once out of a certain range the spell was no longer affective. Making it impossible to monitor someone who was in a different country.

Deciding that it did not good to dwell on something he could not change, Don walked over to the floo that was off in the corner of the room. First, he had to call Severus and reassure him that Harry was now safe and then he had to contact Harry's social worker and the Aurors to collect those wretched people.

Sighing Don knelt down before the fire and threw in the green powder. Calling out Severus's name he was glad that when Severus answered he saw Albus in the background. He was glad that Albus was still sitting with the man; he needed as much comfort as he could get.

"Hi Severus."

Severus worriedly searched the Healer's face for any signs that something was wrong.

"How is Harry?"

Don gave the man a sad smile. "He is sleeping comfortably here at The Clinic."

"He was hurt? I'm coming through! I need to see him!"

The Healer saw Albus come up and place a gentle hand on Severus's shoulder stopping him from jumping up and coming to see Harry. Severus turned his head and saw him arguing with Albus, but he could not hear what they were saying as they were not facing the fireplace. After a few more words, Severus turned back to Don looking defeated with his head to his chest.

"What happened to him?"

Knowing Albus had just stopped the man from coming here because it might interfere with the adoption Don gave Severus an understanding look. "It appears he wet the bed when he had a nightmare. I am assuming that the man, Mark I believe his name is, thought that he could cure Harry by punishing him with his belt. I don't know what else happened, but I found Harry crying and shaking violently in the corner of the room on the floor." He had also been Cruico-ed, but Don didn't want to upset Severus more than necessary at the moment. When both father and son were united, he could disclose the true details.

Severus paused and took a deep breath. "I...I thought that they just had not given him anything to eat...they hurt him?"

Don sadly nodded. "They did. Are you ok there with Albus? I have to call the Aurors and have them arrested."

"I'm fine. Please call me when I can see Harry." A pleading look entered Severus's eyes, and the Healer could tell that it was taking everything in Severus to not jump up right now and run to Harry's side.

Nodding Don gave Severus a reassuring look. "I will Severus. Don't worry as soon as Madam Lark says it is ok I will call you."

With another small nod from Severus Don ended the call and threw more powder into the flames so that he could inform Madam Lark what had happened.

When her head appeared in the fireplace Don gave her the same sad smile, he had given Severus.

"Don? What can I do for you?"

The Healer sighed and launched into everything that had happened. When he was finished explaining the situation, the woman nodded sadly. "Step back, let me come through, and see the poor thing."

Don nodded and did as the woman said. As soon as he did Madam Lark stepped though, and landed gracefully in front of Don.

"Where is he?"

"He's sleeping just over there. Would you like my pensive memories to see what happened?"

The woman nodded her head. "Not now, but eventually I will have to see them."

The Healer nodded. "I need to ask. Can Severus come see Harry and stay with him? I was not sure if he was allowed to visit Harry or not. I know he was barred from seeing Harry when he was at his cousins."

Giving Don a sad look she shook her head. "Not just yet. First, we have to have those people arrested and then I have to head back to the office and see what the procedures are in this situation. I don't want to do something that could jeopardize the adoption."

Don nodded. "Why don't you sit with Harry while I contact the Aurors. He was understandably upset when I picked him up, and I am sure when he wakes he will still be distraught. He was once again hurt by those who were supposed to love him."

The social worker closed her eyes for a moment and nodded. "It really is a miracle that he is still such a sweet boy. I wish I hadn't had to bring him to that house. If I could strangle my boss, I would."

Don rested a gentle hand on her shoulder. "You had no choice. There is no use dwelling on what cannot be changed now, just focus what can be done from here on out."

Nodding she began to stride forward with Don gently guiding her to where Harry was sleeping. When they reached the curtains, Don opened them and left when he saw the social worker sit in the chair next to Harry's bed.

Now came the part he was dreading: contacting the Aurors.

Walking back to the fireplace Don threw in the powder and asked for the one Auror he knew would take these awful people to justice-Alastor Moody. When the man answered Don he gave the Healer a skeptical look.

"What do you want sunny? I sure hope you don't want to try shrinking my head again. You know how well that worked last time."

Moody's magical eye rolled back and forth scanning the Healer.

Shaking his head Don let out a sigh. "No, I am actually contacting you on more of a professional note. Something has happened."

Narrowing his good eye Moody nodded. "It must be something for you to contact me. What has your knickers in a twist?"

Don let out a small sigh and started to explain everything that had happened in the last few days. As he told the story the old Auror looked at Don with a narrowed eye, his face set in stone. The Healer knew how much Moody hated child abusers and he would do everything in his power to take these people down.

"They are in their living room, stunned?"

Nodding the Healer gave a grateful look at Moody. "Yes, and thank you."

Stiffly the Auror nodded. "It's my pleasure taking out trash like that. It won't be my fault either if they become a little roughed up on their way to the cage either."

Normally, Don might scold Alastor for his harshness, but those people did deserve whatever Moody had in store for them.

"Well, still thank you."

Alastor just nodded his head and ended the floo call. He had a lot of work ahead of him, and he had a sneaking suspicion he was going to enjoy it.

As the Auror ended the call Don stood up from where he was kneeling and turned to walk back over to where Harry and his social worker were. Reaching the curtain he pulled it back and gave a sad smile when he saw the woman sitting on the edge of the bed with a hand onto of Harry's.

When he entered she turned her head slightly to acknowledge him, but then turned back to Harry and gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

"Are the Aurors on their way to pick those people up?"

"Yes, I set Alastor Moody on them."

Turning her head again she looked at the Healer and smiled. "You set him on them? They're going to be worse for wear when they are finally brought in. Serves them right."

Don arched an eyebrow. "Well, this isn't a side of you I've seen before."

Turning back to look at Harry the social worker sighed. "I hate people who hurt children; they are the lowest sort of people. I just don't understand how you could ever hurt someone so small and innocent."

Sighing Don came closer and placed a hand on the woman's shoulder. "I know how you feel, but we can't just focus on the people who did this. We have to focus on the victim and how to heal them."

"I know, it's hard to see children so broken. I can see you have everything under control here. I should go and talk with my boss to see if Severus can come and see Harry."

Don nodded and let the woman stand up from the bed. Before she left the privacy curtains, she turned and shot a grateful look at Don.

"You are a wonderful Healer and friend to Harry. Thank you so much for seeing what I missed. I guess I was too hopeful that it would work out that I ignored the signs."

Don just nodded. "It happens to the best of us."

With another nod, the woman left the curtains leaving Don alone with Harry. The Healer sat down where the social worker was just moments before and picked Harry's hand up to rest in his.

"If only she knew how much I blame myself for your pain. I really am sorry Harry."