Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so very, very much Lady Destiny. You are an amazing beta! :)

Just an hour later, a nurse pulled back the privacy curtain and smiled gently at the Healer who was still sitting on the side of Harry's bed. It was obvious just how dedicated Don was to his patient and how much he really cared. Lately, it seemed that there were fewer and fewer Healers like Don and if the nurse was honest, it was refreshing to see someone who cared so much.
Reunited
Just an hour later, a nurse pulled back the privacy curtain and smiled gently at the Healer who was still sitting on the side of Harry's bed. It was obvious just how dedicated Don was to his patient and how much he really cared. Lately, it seemed that there were fewer and fewer Healers like Don and if the nurse was honest, it was refreshing to see someone who cared so much.

Coming a bit closer, the nurse placed a gentle hand on Don's shoulder to grab his attention. She didn't want to startle him after all.

"We have a room open in the children's ward, if you would like to move Harry there."

The Healer nodded, still looking at the sleeping boy. "Thank you, what room?"

"It's the first room when you enter the ward, I thought I could show you the way there and make sure Harry gets settled in."

What she didn't say was she wanted to make sure he was ok as well. Caring for your patients so much did have it's bad points, such as blaming yourself when they were hurt. She had seen it before when Don had been in here before with Severus. The poor man had convinced himself that he should have stopped Severus from going to that meeting, but really what could he have done against an insistent Headmaster and a stubborn man?

Turning his head to look at the nurse he let out a small sigh. He had recognized her voice immediately as Pam's best friend. "Pam sent you to make sure I'm alright?"

Smiling, she nodded. "She would be here herself, but she said she wanted to give you some space after last night."

Don smiled his first real smile all day as he shook his head in amusement as he remembered just how Pam had fallen on her bottom at the ice skating rink last night. Soon, after he had helped her up to her feet she had blushed fiercely and had fled the scene saying her goodbyes as she hurried away.

"What she means to say is that she's too embarrassed to see me, but she is still concerned and is wondering if I am alright. You can report to her that I am fine."

Raising an eyebrow the nurse looked skeptically at the Healer. "And just why would she be embarrassed?"

"Now , I don't want to spill and embarrass her further. I'm sure she would have told you if she wanted you to know. I will tell you though, that it had to do something with our date at the ice skating rink last night."

The nurse nodded with a small curious glint in her eye. When she saw Pam after this, she would have to pry it out of her. "Let's get Harry to his room then and maybe you can tell me there."

Don just got up from the bed ignoring the nurse's last comment and scooped Harry gently up into his arms making sure the blankets were wrapped comfortably around him. It would do no good for Harry to catch a chill, after all he was just wearing a hospital gown.

As he picked, Harry up, the boy unconsciously leaned into the warmth of his body and rested his head close to the man's heart making Don smile.

Smiling down at Harry, Don hoisted the boy up a bit higher and cast a weight altering spell so that he could carry the little boy more comfortably.

"Do you have everything?"

The Healer looked over at the nurse and nodded. "I still have his bags in my pocket. I hate to admit it, but with everything happening, I forgot they were still shrunk."

Smiling, the nurse nodded. "Come on then, let's get Harry somewhere more comfortable."

Don nodded back, and followed the nurse who had begun to walk out of the emergency ward. Walking down the hall to the staircase, Don could not help but watch the sleeping boy resting on his chest. It was amazing just how peaceful the boy looked while he was sleeping especially after the hurtful ordeal he had been through.

Sighing. Don adverted his gaze from the small boy to where he was walking. After all, it really would do no good to trip over his own feet and make both of them fall flat on the floor. He knew if that happened he would be hearing from Severus, and honestly he did not want to see that scowling look on Severus's face.

As they reached the staircase, Don shook that thought from his head as the nurse opened the door so that they could walk up the two flights of stairs to the children's ward. When they reached the ward the two walked down the hall to the room the nurse had set aside for them.

Walking into the room, Don looked around and saw the single bed placed near the window facing the garden and several chairs scattered around the room. Smiling at the room he knew Harry was going to love, he walked over to the bed and gently set the boy down beneath the covers taking off the blankets from the other bed as he did and folding them up neatly to place on the bedside table. When Don started to move away from Harry to sit in his own chair though Harry's hand reached out and clutched tighter on the front of the Healer's robes.

Don tried to make Harry release his clothing to no avail so he just sat on the edge of the bed, letting Harry continue to clutch onto his robes.

"It's ok, Harry; I'm not leaving. I'm right here, little one."

The nurse came up behind Don and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

The Healer gave a small nod, but because of Harry's tight grip he could not turn to look at her. "If anyone comes looking for us in the emergency wing could you tell them where we are?"

"I will. Do you want me to get someone for you? Pam or Quin?"

"No, I'm fine, thank you."

With one last gentle squeeze of the shoulder, the nurse left to fetch Pam. She didn't care if the man wanted to see her or not, or she didn't want to see him because she was embarrassed. He needed someone there with him. She could tell that like the times before he was blaming himself for Harry being hurt. Men can be so stubborn sometimes, especially Don. Really, the man should listen to his own advice sometimes.

As the nurse left, Don gently placed both hands over the one that was so desperately clinging to his robes and hoped that Harry could hear him.

"You're okay child. You're safe here."

Gently Don rubbed the back of Harry's hand to try to calm him. Slowly Harry's grip loosened, and Don was able to place the limb softly on the bed. Smiling at the boy he reached down to pull the covers up higher so that he would not get cold.

"There we go Harry. You are such a brave boy."

Twenty minutes passed with Don sitting on the edge of Harry's bed until he heard a quiet knock on the door. Turning he saw it was Pam and he smiled, beckoning her to come in the room.

Entering, the woman sat in the chair next to Harry's bed. "I hear you've been blaming yourself."

Don looked up at the woman, but then looked back down at Harry, soothingly rubbing circles into the back of Harry's hand. "I left him there. How could I not blame myself?"

Pam rose an eyebrow. "And just what were you supposed to do? Take him from the house with only a bad feeling as proof? You and I both know the Ministry would not have allowed that and would have placed Harry right back there."

"I should have checked sooner."

"Don, stop this nonsense. You are not to be blamed for any of this. If you must blame someone, blame the Ministry and those pitiful excuses of human beings."

Don just continued looking down at the boy on the bed, lost in his thoughts. When the Healer didn't respond, Pam got up from her chair and sat in front of Don on the side of Harry's bed. Gently Pam removed Don's hand from Harry's and took the Healer's hand in her own.

"Look at me Don."

The Healer looked at the woman who he loved with tears in his eyes. With a tender hand Pam reached over and placed her hand on his cheek cupping it gently.

"Hey, this is not your fault."

"He was hurt under my watch." Came the broken words.

Pam reached forward and wrapped her arms around Don. "Come here sweetie. This was not your fault."

Don closed his eyes and relaxed into Pam's arms as she gently rubbed his back. "Are you going to stop blaming yourself now?"

The Healer nodded gently against Pam's shoulder while wiping away the few tears that had formed with the back of his sleeve. Taking a deep breath he pulled back from the embrace and smiled at Pam.

"Thank you Pam. I…I love you."

Smiling Pam pulled Don back into a hug. "I love you too Don and you have no idea how long I have waited to hear that."

The two sat there holding onto each other for a while until Don pulled back with a smile on his lips.

Pam smiled back and patted him on the hand. "Have you had anything to eat today?"

Smiling the man nodded. "I have. Harry has not though so I thought I would have something with him when he wakes."

"That sounds like a fine idea. Is Severus coming to see Harry?"

Slowly the Healer shook his head. "Not at the moment, no. Madam Lark is at the Ministry trying to pull some strings so Severus can come, but until we get the OK, it could jeopardize the adoption."

"When do you think Harry will wake?"

Don shrugged his shoulders. "I don't really know. He fell asleep when we gave him a pain reliever. I'm assuming the potion was the final straw and that he was exhausted from all the stress. I did give him a dreamless sleep potion, but that should just help keep away the bad dreams."

Pam nodded. "Why don't you rest for a little while then? I'll keep watch of Harry."

Don smiled. "It's ok Pam. I'm ok here with Harry. You should go check on the patient I know you left in your office."

Nodding, Pam stood up. "Are you sure? I can stay if you want me to."

"No, I'll be ok."

Pam gently bent over and placed a kiss on the top of Don's head. "You're a good man Don. If you need anything you know where I am and promise me you won't tell anyone about me falling flat on my butt. You already let enough slip that Mary is begging me to tell her what happened."

Don's smile widened as he shook his head mischievously. "You have my word."

"I sure hope so because if anyone finds out..."

Don nodded knowing that the threat was not just words. If he told anyone he was likely to be Bat Bogey hexed by an irate witch.

Assured that Don was alright and he would not spill her secret, Pam left the room with Don still sitting on the edge of Harry's bed, his chest feeling much lighter.

After Pam left, Don stood, and moved to the seat Pam had vacated knowing his back would thank him later. Quietly he sat there watching Harry for a little more than an hour, both awaiting the social worker to come and tell him what she had found out and for Harry to wake.

After hearing a knock, he looked up to see the one person he was not expecting to see, a somewhat subdued Moody watching him from the doorway. Surprise quickly wore off as he waved the man to come in and take a seat.

Before coming in though, the man held up his hand apparently stopping whoever wanted to come in with him. Don was curious just who it was, but for the moment he decided not to question his old friend. He knew Moody would tell him in good time.

Then in the next moment the Auror came in, in two big strides, pulled up a chair, and sat looking both at the boy on the bed and at the Healer as though he was scanning them with his magical eye. Don suspected that he was just making sure that everything was as it should be with him and Harry.

"So, how is the boy do'ng?"

Don looked over at the old Auror and nodded his head. "He's still asleep, but I believe after everything that happened that is a good thing. His body needs rest."

Moody nodded. "I have some news. Don't know if ya will think it will be good news or not, but it's a new development."

The Healer arched an eyebrow. "I figured that was why you were here. So what is it? Are those people locked up?"

Stealing a quick glance at the doorway Alastor shrugged his shoulders. "Yes, and no. It's complicated."

"What do you mean? They hurt Harry, they should be locked up and have the key thrown away!"

Moody, sensing the Healer's distress, placed a hand on his shoulder gently. Very uncharacteristic or him, but the man did not want the Healer to explode and wake the prone boy on the bed. He assumed that would not be good for anyone, especially him, having an irate Healer on his hands. He knew just how dangerous Don could be if he didn't keep his cool.

"Let me explain, before you get your knickers in a twist laddy. When I went to the house I saw two people stunned as you said, but they were not the people I was expecting. They were two who were on the suspected Death Eater list. After some truth serum, they confessed everything that had happened. Let me just say that they arrived at the Ministry holding cells a little more roughed up than when I took them into custody."

Confused, Don shook his head. "You mean Harry's cousins are Death Eaters?"

The Auror shook his head. "No, no…I'm sorry for not being clearer. You see these Death Eaters Polyjuiced themselves to look like Harry's cousins and then locked the poor couple up in the basement without their wands."

Don slumped back in his chair looking at the ceiling. "So, I left Harry with a couple of Death Eaters? How did this happen? How did they know Harry was supposed to stay with them?"

"There was a leak in the Ministry, and they found out that Harry would be there for a week so they thought they would take the opportunity to punish 'the Boy-Who-Lived' for banishing their Master."

Closing his eyes Don let out a small sigh. "Who was the leak? Do they still wish for Harry to spend a week with them? His real cousins I mean? I am sure he will be terrified seeing them after everything, even if it was not really them."

Moody turned to the doorway and made a small beckoning motion with his hand. "I don't know Don; you should ask them yourself. They came to talk with you and see whether they could try to make some kind of amends to Harry. They did not mean for any of this to happen. About the leak, all I will say is he had long blond hair and has been caught."

Don nodded absently, not really absorbing Moody's last statement and watched the two people who he had thought were stunned earlier that day, come in the room. Slowly they drew up chairs and sat down as Don tried to remember their names. Mark was his name, but he had never heard the lady's.

With a small sigh and worry lines showing, Mark began in a soft voice, very unlike the one he had heard earlier that day. "Is Harry alright?"

"I..I believe he will be fine. I am sorry, but I don't think you should be here when he wakes."

The man gave the Healer an understanding smile. "We understand. If I were him, I would not want to see us either, not after what those detestable people. I still don't understand how those people could prey on a child like that. Just thinking about it makes my blood boil."

Just then the woman spoke up in a much kinder voice than Don expected. For the Healer, it was still hard to imagine these people than anything but the horrible people who hurt children although he now knew that it was not them who had hurt Harry. "I know you are concerned about Harry staying with us for an entire week, but please don't. Obviously now is not the right time. We just wanted to get to know Harry, not stand in the way of the adoption. Please tell, I believe his name is Severus Snape, that he should come see his child; in fact, we insist that he come sit by Harry's side and hold him."

The Healer heaved a small sigh of relief while Moody patted him on the back, rather roughly this time, much more as Don was used to from the man.

"See now, told ya. Now calm down you worrywart or else you'll give me a heart attack watching you worry over your charge."

Don shot a scolding look at Alastor. "I am not a worrywart."

"Sure you're not lad, sure you're not."

Rolling his eyes he averted his gaze from Moody to the couple. "I'm sorry, with everything going on I don't think I properly introduced myself."

With a smile Mark reached out to shake Don's hand. "Don't worry about it. My name is Mark Diaz, and this is my wife Maria."

Don nodded his head. "And as you know I am Healer Don Patterson. Forgive me for not asking you earlier, but are you two all right? Did the Death Eaters injure you?"

Maria smiled at the Healer as Mark let go of his hand. "We are all right. When the Aurors came they brought a Healer with them and she healed our cuts and bruises."

Just then, all four heard a small moan come from the bed where Harry was laying. Moody, knowing that Harry would not wish to see the couple who wished to see him to make sure Harry was alright, cast an invisibility spell on them as not to upset Harry even more.

Quickly, Don got up from his chair and sat on the edge of Harry's bed gently holding the boy's hand.

"Harry, are you awake?"

Harry turned in his bed so that he was facing the wall, and he drew his knees up to his chest. Gently Don rested a hand on Harry's back and watched sadly as the boy flinched away.

"Harry, can you talk to me?"

Sobs started to rack the small body on the bed. "I...I want my daddy!"

Gently Don set a gentle hand on his back this time not pulling away from the violent flinch. Turning slightly he shot a pleading look at Moody who understood and got up from his chair immediately.

"Ok Harry, Alastor just went to go get your daddy. Everything is going to be alright now."

Harry shook his head while he sobbed into his stuffed cat. "N...no it won't!"

Sighing Don pointed his wand at the chair he had just vacated and turned it into a comfortable rocking chair. He knew Harry was too old for this trick, but knew it would calm him ,nevertheless. Then putting away his wand, he gently scooped Harry up into his arms, blankets, and all, and sat down in the newly transfigured rocking chair.

Resting Harry's head on his shoulder he placed a hand on the back of Harry's head and began to softly rock back and forth hoping it would help soothe him.

"Yes, it will Harry; I give you my word."

Just moments before, Harry had been pushing away the Healer, but now he was clinging to him as if his life depended on it. Don knew Harry's emotions were fragile before all this had happened, but now it seemed that this last event was the straw that broke the camel's back. It would now be an even longer road to get Harry back on track. The poor boy had not really recovered from his Aunt and Uncle, and now this!

Harry cried into Don's robes until Severus came busting into the room. Quickly the man made his way over to his crying son and as soon as Harry saw him he leapt from Don's warm arms into Severus's, dropping all the blanket that were surrounding him as he did.

"Daddy!"

Severus held on tightly to Harry and placed a gentle kiss to the top of his head. "Oh, Harry. I'm here now, I'm here."

Don got up from the rocking chair and beckoned Severus to take a seat with Harry. Severus did so, clinging to his crying son while his son did the same to him.

Gently, the man rubbed Harry's back with soothing circles and mumbled words that only the boy could hear.

Knowing that the two would want to be alone for a while Don went out the doorway hearing the low rumble of Severus's voice assuring Harry that everything would be alright. He could not help but hope that both he and Severus were right, and it would be.

Once in the hall Moody took the invisibility spell off the couple so that they could be seen by everyone and not just him and then looked at Don with a slightly concerned expression.

Knowing that Moody was not one to show such emotions, the Healer was touched that the man would show such things for a small boy he had not really even met.

"Will the lad really be alright?"

Don nodded and motioned for them to peek in the doorway where Severus had conjured a warm washcloth and was gently wiping away the tears as Harry snuggled into Severus and resting his head on the man's shoulder.

With a rare smile from the strict Auror, Don gave a small nod. The real Diaz's watched from the doorway as well, cloaked under a Notice-Me-Not spell and smiled gently at the interaction. This truly cemented the fact that they had done the right thing leaving the boy in the man's care. At first, they had been wary of a former Death Eater taking care of their relative, none the less 'the Boy-Who-Lived', but then they had seen the picture book Moody had snagged out of Don's office to convince them that Severus really was a good person.

After a few moments, Mark turned to the Healer. "We should go then. We are going to the Ministry to put in a petition to speed up the adoption. From what we just saw those two belong together and we were hoping that they would take in account the wishes of Harry's last blood relatives."

Don nodded. "Thank you. Before you go though, would you like me to run an exam to make sure you are both well? It wouldn't bode well if they cast a curse on you, and it had latent effects."

Mark looked about to protest that they were alright, but Maria laid a gentle hand on his arm and gave a soft nod. "We should do as he says, dear. We don't want you collapsing all of a sudden."

The man deflated and nodded. "Alright then."

"Good. Let's go find a room then."

Maria again stopped the men. "With they be alright by themselves? I mean I know Harry will be fine with Severus, but will Severus be alright? I know this has been an emotional roller coaster for him too."

The Healer nodded. "Yes, I think that they, at the moment, would actually prefer their privacy."

With no, further protests the four of them set off downstairs to the receptionist to find a room.

Back in the room, Severus was calming Harry with gentle words and a soothing back rub. When the boy was calm enough to talk Harry clutched tightly onto Severus and held his stuffed cat close to him.

"I missed you so much, Daddy."

Tenderly the man kissed the boy on the forehead. "I missed you too Harry, I've missed you so much."

"I...I'm sorry."

Severus pulled back and looked at the boy confused. "What for Harry?"

Looking down Harry fiddled with the end of his shirt. "I...I was bad...and dirty."

"What are you talking about Harry?"

Harry turned buried his face in Severus's robes too embarrassed to look at Severus. "I...I wet the bed and ruined their sheets. I am such a disgusting little freak; I don't deserve to be loved by anyone!"

Gently Severus pulled Harry back so he could look at the boy in the eyes and carefully wipe away the new tears.

"Nonsense Harry, you are very deserving of my love and by no means are you a "freak", Remember we talked about this. I will love you no matter what. Was wetting the bed their reason for hurting you?"

Harry nodded and tried to bury his head back in Severus's robes, but the man held him back so that he could still look at his child. Inwardly he sighed as he still saw the traces of fear written all over Harry's small face.

"They were wrong Harry. You are not disgusting for wetting the bed, which happens to all little kids sometimes. And they could have just as easily washed the sheets, they were not ruined at all. You did not deserve what they did to you."

Tears were starting to form again in Harry's eyes as his brows shot up in confusion. "T-t-then why?"

"Because they were bad people Harry, bad people who are now in jail because they hurt you."

"Really?"

"Yes, really Harry. I must tell you something though, something I just found out. An Auror named Alastor Moody went back to their home to take your cousins into custody, but they were different people entirely. It seems that they were posing as your cousins while your real cousins were locked up in the basement."

Severus allowed Harry to rest his head back down on his shoulder. "S...so you mean...that...my cousins...didn't hurt me?"

Gently Severus brought up his hand and placed it soothingly on the back of Harry's head. "No, they were locked up and those who hurt you took their place."

Harry closed his eyes and suppressed a shutter. "Do...do I have to go back?"

Even though he now knew the people who had hurt him were different people, he didn't want to see them again. Not ever. It still brought back that painful night in full force, and he could not help, but feel fearful of them.

Tightening his grip a bit more on the boy Severus shook his head. "I don't believe so. They called for me themselves so that I could be here with you."

The boy's body relaxed in Severus's arms, and his eyes drooped closed. Even though he had just slept for a long while, he was still really tired for the healing really wore his body out.

Softly Severus tapped him on the cheek, before Harry fell fully asleep. He wanted one more answer and knew that now would be the time to ask as Harry was always more talkative when he was sleepy.

"Why didn't you tell me what was happening Harry or call for Don to help you?"

Harry shook his head. "Didn't want to be a burden and...and I was ashamed it was happening again...I deserved it though..."

Harry's eyes closed completely as sleep overtook him. Severus let out a small sigh and looked down at the fragile boy in his arms and wondered just how he was going to get it through this boy's thick head that he was not a burden and he had nothing to be ashamed about, but most importantly that he did not deserve to be hurt by anyone.

A moment later Severus shifted Harry in his arms so that it was more comfortable for the both of them and started to rock back and forth in the chair. Loath he was to admit it, but this chair really was soothing when it rocked back and forth like that. Slowly Severus's eyes closed and after a few minutes of telling himself he was only just going to rest his eyes Severus fell fast asleep, holding his boy that he loved so very much.

As the two slept on Madam Lark was watching with a smile playing on her lips. Quietly she came in the room and grabbed an extra blanket that was placed on the bedside table. Unfolding it she walked over to the two and draped the blanket gently over the pair so that they would not chill.

When she was sure that they were both comfortable she pulled up a chair and sat next to them pulling out a few forms from a pocket in her robes. They were the final adoption papers that needed to be signed, and then they would legally be father and son and not just guardian and ward.

Setting the papers down the woman looked at the two with a smile. Sighing she had to admit that she really liked Severus Snape, more than she had liked anyone in a long time.

Sadly she knew it would never work out, not with her being Harry's social worker. For if anything had happened between the two, Harry would be assigned to someone else. Work and personal lives were not allowed to intermingle in the Ministry. It only cause more hurt, and trouble for everyone involved. Even though Harry would be Severus's after signing those papers, someone in the future could choose to petition the adoption saying that the papers were not signed freely because she had loved Severus and had forced Harry. It would mean someone could take Harry from Severus.

Sometimes her job really sucked. First, she had put a child with people who had hurt him and now she had to let go a man she had begun to really love.

Sighing again Madam Lark looked down at her lap. How she wished things were different…

"How are my boys doing?"

The woman looked over to the doorway where the soft voice and come from and smiled at the Headmaster who had appeared. Quietly she gestured to the two in the rocking chair and then gestured for him to come sit down. She didn't want to risk waking them by talking across the room.

Coming over Albus sat next to the social worker. "I know that look on your face. You really like him don't you? Perhaps even love?"

Adverting her gaze back to Severus, she gave a small nod. "Yes, but it will never work out."

Understanding filled Albus's eyes. "Because of your job and Harry."

"Yes, I don't want to ever be the reason that their relationship comes into question. I could not live with myself if they were separated because of me. They belong together. Harry is more important to Severus than anyone."

Nodding Albus reached over and gently squeezed her hand in a comforting manor. "I know this is hard for you, but it is the right thing to do. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but sometimes the world is not fair."

The woman nodded. "I know, from the start I never knew it would work out. Will Severus be ok? I know I sent mixed signals."

Albus gave another nod. "He will be fine and will understand."

Standing up the woman nodded. "I should get going then. The last of the paperwork is on the table there. Once they are signed, they will transport themselves to the Ministry, and everything will be finalized. I shouldn't be telling you this, but I will making a 'surprise' visit in two weeks just to make sure everything is alright."

"Thank you for everything and please don't be a stranger. Stop by or fire call every so often."

Madam Lark had begun walking towards the door, but turned around and looked at the older man with a small smile. "I will."

Seeing Albus nod the woman then left the room completely closing the door behind her to give Albus some time alone with his boys.

When the social worker left the room Albus got up and took the chair that Madam Lark had abandoned so that he could be closer to his boys. Gently Albus reached over and set a gentle hand on Harry's arm that was poking out of the blankets and watched as he flinched more violently than he had in a while.

Sadly Albus kept his hand on Harry's arm ignoring the flinch and tried to gently soothe the boy who had begun to fuss a bit by gently rubbing circles into his arm.

"Shhh it's ok dear child. Calm down."

Harry stopped moving around and sighed deeply while he buried his face deeper in Severus's robes. Smiling Albus removed his hand and got up from his chair. Walking over to where Don had resized Harry's bags and opened the small blue one.

Carefully he took out the stuffed lion Don had thrown in there haphazardly and walked back over to the two on the chair. Gently he picked up Harry's arm and stuffed the small toy next to the cat for extra comfort, and Harry hugged it close only after a moment of hesitation.

Then bending over he placed a soft kiss on Severus's forehead and then did the same to Harry's forehead. With one last sad smile at his boy he started to leave the room to go finish setting up Harry's room.

One of the reason's it had taken him so long to come see Harry with Severus was he was getting ready a substitute teacher for Severus. After everything that had happened, Severus and Harry deserved some time off from school to heal and recover and that is why Albus was now headed to the store to buy some toy's and things for Harry's new home at Dumbledore Manor.

He had decided that both Severus and Harry would spend the rest of the term healing and relaxing at their home. Already, he had spoken with Pam and she had agreed readily to stop by everyday to home school Harry and keep him up with school while he was at home.

As Albus left the room, he smiled at his boy's one last time and then left quietly shutting the door behind him.

When Severus awoke, it was to a small whimper coming from the area on his chest and aching bones. Opening his eyes he looked down and saw Harry and then cursed himself for allowing himself to fall asleep in this position, everything hurt in his body.

After a few more moans and groans of his own, Severus looked down at the still whimpering child who was obviously trapped in a dream. With a sigh, he slowly freed one of his arms that had decided to fall asleep underneath Harry. When it had enough feeling back into it, he began to gently rub calming circles on the boy's back to try to soothe away the dream he knew the boy was having.

As soon as his hand touched Harry's back though, the boy's whole body went ridged, and he flinched. Sighing Severus kept his hand where it was, trying to ignore the flinch. He knew the more he ignored the flinch; the better it would get. At least in Harry's case. He had to get used to a kind touch again. After a few minutes of Severus's gentle touch, Harry melted into his embrace and his whimpers died down to a soft snore.

With a relieved sigh Severus pulled out his other hand from underneath Harry and began to shake the sleep out of that limb as well. Feeling restored back into both hands, Severus gently picked Harry up and clutched him close to his chest as he stood on weak knees. He would have to walk around some so that later on he would not be a body full of pain.

On jelly legs, Severus slowly crossed to the bed and placed Harry down on the middle with his two stuffed animals. He picked the blankets up off the floor and before placing them softly over the boy, he cast a small warming charm on them so that when they hit him they would be warm and not chilly.

As soon as he was sure Harry was warm and content, Severus stretched out his tight muscles and walked around the room trying to get all the kinks out. Finally after many long strides across the room Severus finally felt as though he was only in mild discomfort and not a walking ball of pain.

When he was done walking the length of the room, Severus came and sat back in the rocking chair not bothering transfiguring it back. He had a feeling he was going to have a use for it later. Maybe they would put one of these things in Harry's room, but it had to be more comfortable than this one. By Merlin this one had wood that poked you in the back and was not nearly wide enough to comfortably fit a sleeping boy and himself.

Looking at the table in front of him Severus spotted the papers the social worker had left for him to sign. Picking them up he read their entirety, and a smile graced his lips. All he had to do was sign them, have Harry sign them, and then the child would be his forever. He was tempted to wake the boy right there and then so that they could sign them, but he knew that it would not be a good start to their new relationship. Harry really did need his sleep more than anything right now.

When they got back to the castle, he would have to make sure that Harry took his nap in the afternoon and not just assume he had been doing so. And maybe an early bedtime was in Harry's future as well. At least, until he was rested, and back to a normal schedule.

While these thoughts flowed through his head, Severus could not help, but wonder if Harry was ready to go back to school right away. Not knowing that Albus had already made plans for them concerning this very matter, he was worried that Harry would not be able to cope with the separation for now.

In just a few more minutes, Severus was shaken from making plans in his head by someone clearing their throat next to him. Turning he saw it was Albus who was looking at him intently, and he was accompanied by Don who was giving him a concerned look. Apparently, he had been so lost in his thoughts that he had not heard their arrival.

Sheepishly he looked down at Harry to hide his embarrassment.

Gently Albus placed a hand on Severus's arm. "How are you Severus? Are you alright?"

Severus gave a small nod. "I'm alright, I was just thinking. Do you think it would be a good idea to pull Harry from classes for a little while? We could go back to the Manor, and I could look out for him there."

Albus smiled and patted Severus on the arm. "I already have a substitute in place until the next term starts, and I just went shopping for things to put in Harry's room. Pam will also be coming by everyday to keep Harry up with his classmates. Although he will not be in school, it will not do for him to fall behind."

Severus let out a small smile as he looked at the man he considered a father figure. It was amazing how alike they thought sometimes. "Sometimes you scare me; you know that?"

Smiling Albus nodded with mirth in his eyes. "I know my dear boy, but I also know you appreciate it when I get something done before you even ask."

Rolling his eyes Severus adverted his gaze back to Harry. "When do you think Harry will be able to go home?"

Don let a sad smile spread on his face. "I want to see him when he wakes and make sure his mental status is fully there and do one last check up on him. Then, you can take him home."

Severus looked alarmed at the Healer. "What do you mean his mental status? I know he will be hurting for a while, but do you think there will be anything else?"

Don shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know Severus that is why I wanted to check up on him. Under a truth serum, the Death Eaters revealed everything they did to the poor boy and I just want to be sure that he is alright. He seemed fine mentally when I first got to him, but I want to make sure there are no lingering effects."

Severus looked at the Healer intently with an eyebrow raised. "Effects?"

Don sighed. "The Death Eater posing as Mark cast the Cruciatus curse on him three times."

Severus looked ready to murder but Don rested a calming hand on the man's arm and sent him a wave of calming magic. It would not do well if Severus exploded right here in front of Harry. Especially if he woke the boy with his anger.

"Calm down Severus."

Taking a deep breath Severus closed his eyes. "Where are they? I'll kill them!"

Don sent even stronger bouts of calming magic to the man. "No, you will not Severus. He has already been sent to the Dementors to receive the Kiss. You know casting an Unforgivable on a child is a crime punishable by a fate worth than death."

Severus slumped down into is chair and sighed defeated. Slowly his head found its way into his hands as he imagined all the pain Harry must have gone though. "How could this have happened?"

Albus sighed as he watched pain ripple though Severus. Every time they found themselves in a situation like this, it amazed the old man just how much it hurt himself watching Severus hurt.

Closing his eyes to gain a bit of composure Albus set a gentle hand on the man's back. "It seems that Lucius is to blame. He set this up after he heard something come out of Children's Services. Apparently, he was looking for a way to get his son back, but found this out instead. Moody kept him behind bars for as long as he could, but the man has connection so he was set free not thirty minutes ago. And before you get all angry stating that you are going to go kill him, let me tell you, you are not. If you were then who would Harry have to turn to for comfort? Yes, I am here and so is Don, but all he really wants is his Daddy and you know that!"

Severus looked at Albus with tears in his eyes. Blinking to get rid of them he looked back down at Harry. "You are right, thank you Albus. Speaking of Lucius, how is Draco doing?"

Albus let a small smile though as he nodded. "He is adjusting just fine. It seems that he has even earned his first spanking for playing too recklessly on a broom from Arthur. He scared the living daylights out of the poor man. It seems the incident seemed to bring them closer together somehow."

Severus nodded and looked at Harry. "That is good to hear, I am glad Draco has found himself a loving family. It was just what he needed."

"It was, and it was thanks to you." Albus smiled at the man before him. He knew Severus would never take credit on his own so he did everything he could to praise the man or point out his good deeds.

Severus flushed and looked at Harry, but then after a moment he looked back up at Albus. "You said everything is ready at home for Harry?"

Albus gave a small nod. "Yes, it is. I even added a charmed ceiling to his bedroom, a day sky when it is light and a night sky when it is dark."

"Thank you."

"It is no problem Severus. Oh, and I think I have something here for Harry."

Albus pulled something soft and black out of his robe pocket. Looking closer Severus noticed the small fluff ball moving slightly. "I thought Harry might need a furry little companion since he loves that toy so much."

Severus nodded as he watched as Albus place the Kneazle kitten on the end of Harry's bed. Immediately, the small fluff ball climbed up and laid on top of Harry's chest curling into a content little ball. As he did so Harry reached over with a hand and rested it gently on the purring fur ball.

Severus smiled. "I think they will make a good pair"

Smiling as well Albus nodded. "Indeed, they will."