Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you soooo much Lady Destiny for all your wonderful betaing skills. :)

Harry could not believe how beautiful his new home was, it was even grander than the Diaz's and it felt...more homey. Looking around Harry saw that they were in a large living room colored in soft tans and complete with two couches and many comfortable looking chairs. It was beautiful, and he couldn't help, but wonder if the Headmaster had decorated. After another thought though he dismissed the thought, there was no way he had decorated with all his wild robe choices.
Home
Harry could not believe how beautiful his new home was, it was even grander than the Diaz's and it felt...more homey. Looking around Harry saw that they were in a large living room colored in soft tans and complete with two couches and many comfortable looking chairs. It was beautiful, and he couldn't help, but wonder if the Headmaster had decorated. After another thought though he dismissed the thought, there was no way he had decorated with all his wild robe choices.

Looking up Harry found himself looking at an amused Severus. "What do you think?"

Harry blushed and looked down. "It's really nice sir."

Severus wrapped an arm around Harry's shoulders. "Hey now, what's with this sir business?"

Harry looked down and his kitten who was purring in his arms and blushed again. "Sorry."

The man could sense the nervousness coming off the boy in waves and let out a small sigh. Gently he moved Harry forward a little so that he was sitting on one of the plump couches.

When it came to decorating, Severus was glad that Albus had a sense in colors unlike when he chose his robes. He would never understand why the man decided to wear those atrocious bright colors. Coincidently, Harry had just had similar thoughts flowing though his head.

Shaking those thoughts from his mind Severus looked down at the small boy in front of him. Harry was still looking around curiously, but he had a hint of nervousness to him.

"Let's get your shoes off so that you're more comfortable. And then do you want to see the rest of the house or do you want to rest a bit?"

Harry looked up still with the kitten gently purring against his chest. "Can we see the rest of the house?"

"Yes, or course Harry. We can even see the gardens too if you want."

Harry's eyes brightened at the mention of the gardens and vigorously nodded his head. "That would be brilliant!"

Severus let out a small smile. "Good, now let's get those shoes off so you can see the rest of the Manor."

Harry nodded and let the kitten down on the floor so she could explore the house as well. He then bent over and began to untie his shoes and take them off. Finishing, he grabbed Severus's extended hand.

"Come on then. Would you like to see the downstairs first or do you want to go right to your room?"

Harry marveled at the soft, plush carpet beneath his feet thinking for a few moments. He really wanted to see the whole house, but then also he really wanted to see what his new room was like as well. He was torn.

"Can I leave my room for last?"

Severus smiled as he nodded. He knew Harry was trying to save what he was most excited for last and he couldn't blame him, he had done the same at his age. Gently Severus rested a hand on Harry's back and started to lead the boy to the kitchen.

"This is the kitchen. We have a house elf, but Albus and myself enjoy to cook so you will often find us in here. You are more than welcome to come down and take anything out of the fridge you want to a snack, but before using the stove come get Albus or myself. Also, this is where we will be taking our meals. We do have a dining room, but it's far too formal for everyday use."

Harry nodded his head while he was looking around at the most glorious kitchen he had ever seen. In size he could compare it to the Diaz's, but it didn't have frantic elves running around and for that Harry was grateful.

When Harry had taken everything in the kitchen, Severus gently guided Harry out and into the dining room and then to see both Albus and his own office. First, they stopped by Albus's door and peaked in.

"This is Albus's office and as I said earlier you are more than welcome to come in here if Albus is here, but please do not wander if he is not."

Harry gave a small nod so Severus closed the door and opened the one right next door.

"This is my office, and the same rule applies. Only come in if I am here."

Again Harry nodded, as he looked around the office. After a few moments Severus shut the door again and lead the boy towards another room opening the door to a large room.

"And this is the library. You are allowed to come in here whenever you want. This is where you will be meeting Pam in the afternoon. I can guarantee we have more than ample studying supplies in here."

Looking around in awe Harry marveled at the large bookshelves that lined the room. They were filled with books of all colors, shapes, and sizes. He couldn't wait to get his hands on them; they all looked so interesting.

Severus smiled down at Harry as he looked around in awe. "I only ask that you don't touch the books you can't reach on the upper sheaves. Think of the top shelves like the restricted section at school."

Harry looked up at Severus and nodded. "Are there any fiction books in here?"

"No, but I am sure we can go to the bookstore and get some for you to read. Or I believe there is even a public library down the street we could visit."

"That would be brilliant!"

Severus smiled knowing that while they might take, some trips to the public library there was still a surprise waiting for Harry in his room, and it might just include those fiction books he so wanted to read. These were the times when he loved Albus's perceptions.

Closing the door behind him the man gently began to guide Harry to a staircase. As they were walking up the stairs Severus started to explain how the home came to be. How this had been Albus's home as he grew up and it was right down the street from where Harry's parents had lived.

That last part caught Harry's attention. "So we're in Godric's hollow?"

Severus gave a small nod looking up at the boy who was in front of him on the stairs. "We are, Harry."

"So you mean it...it happened just down the street?"

At the top of the stairs, Severus turned to look at Harry and knelt down so that he could look Harry in the eye without the boy having to strain his neck.

"Yes, it did. Are you ok?"

Harry nodded, but looked down at his feet. "Can...can I see it?"

Severus sighed. "We can go visit the house, but let's get you settled first. I want you to be comfortable here and as soon as you are then we can go see it."

Harry nodded as he looked up at his daddy. "Ok."

Smiling Severus gently patted Harry on the shoulder. "Alright then, let's go see your rooms."

Severus got up from kneeling on the floor and gently guided the boy to a pale brown door. As he did so he pointed out his own room that was across the hall and Albus's room that was next to his.

Opening the door Severus kept his hand on Harry's shoulder as the child looked around with wonder on his face. The walls were painted light blue with a cream trim, and the bed that was tucked in the corner was a shade of deep blue just as he had asked. Looking up at the ceiling Harry marveled as he saw the charmed ceiling. It was like the great hall, but even more brilliant because it was in his room. His room. He actually had a room all to his own.

Harry lost in his thought didn't notice as Severus lead him further in the room, but he did notice when he saw a beautiful oak desk with his school books already piled on top. Next to it was a tall bookshelf with every fairytale book he had ever wished to read in his young life.

Wandering away from Severus's guiding hand Harry walked over to the beautiful books on the shelf and picked the one up that Severus had been reading to him. Clutching the book to his chest Harry turned to look at Severus with tears in his eyes.

"This is brilliant!"

Severus smiled and walked over to the boy. Taking the book out of Harry's hands he set it on the desk, and pulled Harry in his arms. "I'm glad you like it Harry. I have another surprise for you. It was Albus's idea, and I think you'll enjoy it."

Harry nodded against his daddy's chest and mumbled, "How could anything be better than this?"

Severus smiled and couldn't help, but think of how Harry was going to react to the next room that was his. He knew they were spoiling the boy, but if anyone was in need of spoiling it was Harry. He had been deprived of so much that they wanted to give him everything he could possibly want or need in these last few years of his childhood. They knew it wouldn't make up for all he had lost, but it could only help.

"So do you want to see your other room?"

Harry backed up and looked up at Severus confusion written all over his face. "I have another room?"

Severus smiled. "You do."

Harry nodded a little wearily, not really believing that he could have two rooms. "Can I see it?"

Still smiling Severus nodded. "Come on and I'll show you."

Placing a hand on Harry's shoulder Severus gently guided Harry to a door that was on the opposite side of the room. "This, Harry, is your play room and it's just for you. You can change it however you want and put anything in here."

Harry looked up at the man and then into the room as he opened the door. It was possibly the most beautiful room he had ever seen. The walls had the same pale blue coloring, but there were tree's painted all around and magical animals moving in them. It was like a rain forest; it even had the small noises that a forest would make. The creaking trees and the soft animal noises.

Walking further into the room Harry noticed that the plush carpet that was in his room continued in here. He was glad he liked the soft, fuzzy carpet beneath his feet. Then looking up he saw the far wall lined with long low shelves filled with games and toys of all sorts. There was even a pile of puzzles stacked on one of the shelves.

Harry smiled. He remembered how much he enjoyed putting that puzzle together in Pam's office. Adverting his gaze Harry looked around even more and noticed the table with chairs all around it. He guessed that was where he could pull out the games and play them if he wanted.

Looking around even more the boy spotted a corner that had odd looking toys in it. There was a range of small to large balls with spikes all over them, but they still looked squishy. Looking further he saw that there were other oddly shaped toys that he didn't recognize. Confused, he looked up at his daddy to see whether he would explain for him.

Severus smiled at him. "I bet you're wondering what those things are. Am I right?"

Harry gave a small nod so Severus continued.

"Well, Don thought that it might be good for you have some physical therapy toys. Most of those are for your hand to help strengthen the muscles and get them working right. Some of the other's are there to help you with your range of motion so that you can move around easier. I assume when Don comes by he will show you how to use them.

Again the boy nodded, but he looked at up Severus wearily. "Physical therapy?"

Severus nodded and put a comforting arm around Harry's shoulders. "Yes, you've had many broken bones over the years and this will help strengthen them."

Harry nodded, but turned his head into Severus's side. "Thank you."

The man pulled Harry around so that he was in front of him and Harry's head was resting on his chest, and his arms were securely around the boy. "No need to thank me Harry, this is what you deserve."

The two stood like that for a while until Harry pulled back from Severus's chest and wiped away the happy tears that had fallen from his eyes. "Can...can we see the gardens?"

Severus smiled and nodded. "Why don't you get changed into some more comfortable clothes first. Your shoes and a jacket are already by the door."

Harry nodded and slowly began to move to his bedroom with Severus close behind. When they entered Harry's bedroom again, Severus had to smile when he saw a small back fuzz ball on Harry's bed curled up asleep.

"It looks as if someone likes your new bed."

Smiling Harry nodded and walked over to the bed. Gently he pet the small cat who opened one eye sleepily and let out a soft mew before closing it again.

"I'll meet you downstairs then."

Harry turned to look at his daddy and nodded. When Severus saw the nod he went to the door and quietly closed it behind him.

As soon as Severus left Harry sat on the edge of the bed and the kitten, with a sigh, got up and walked over to rest on his lap. She knew her master needed some kind of comfort because he was nervous about something or another, but she really wished he would have waited until after her nap.

Curling up on Harry's lap the small kitten let the boy pet her soft fur as she purred.

"I just...I just don't know Arwen. It..It seems they really want me here...I mean they have gotten me so much...but...but what happens when they see I'm not worth all this? I know Daddy said he will never hurt me, but what about the Headmaster? At school Daddy said I only have to make sure my room is picked up, but will they make me do the chores here to earn my keep? I mean at school they are both obligated to take care of me, and people are watching...but...but here...it's their home...they can do whatever they want..."

Shaken out of her sleepy state by the boy's words the kitten sat up and gave the boy a glare that would rival Severus's on a bad day.

Looking down at the irate kitten Harry was surprised when he heard a small voice in his head.

"Look here, human child. I may be small, but I still know love when I see it. Those two love you with all their hearts will never ever hurt you. So stop worrying because the look in their eyes tell me they will not."

Harry looked down at the cat who's glare was softening as she spoke with his master. Gently he reached down and scratched her ears. "...But...but how do you know that?"

Shaking off Harry's hand the kitten leaned forward and butted the boy in his stomach gently with her head. "I just know child, you'll have to trust me."

Harry nodded feeling somewhat better. He was still scared that all that might happen, but her little speech made him less on edge.

"Thank you Arwen."

"You're welcome you silly human. Now get changed and meet your daddy so he can show you around outside. I must say there are many tasty mice out there. Catch one for me if you can, they look delectably juicy."

Harry shuddered a little at her description of the mice, but then gently picked her up and placed her back down on the bed.

"I can't promise you anything, but I'll ask Daddy if he could catch one for you."

Harry turned back around to look at the now loudly purring kitten who was kneading on the bed. "Thank you young one."

Harry frowned. "Why do you keep calling me young or child when you are younger than me?"

Sitting back down on the bed the kitten looked up at Harry. "I may be tiny and in years I am younger, but kneazles gain knowledge quicker than your kind. We only have ten weeks were we have to learn everything from our parents where your kind has years."

Harry gave a small nod, understanding where the little fluff ball was coming from and in some strange way it made sense.

Turning back around Harry took his clothing out from the cabinet where the house elf had already placed his things for him. Quickly he changed throwing his dirty clothing in the hamper and making sure that everything else was put away.

When he was finished, Harry walked back over to the bed where the kitten was watching him with her eyes half closed. "Do you want to come out to the gardens with us?"

In response the kitten just opened her mouth in a yawn and then closed her eyes.

Harry smiled and pet her gently on the head. "Alright then, I'll see you later."

With that Harry left the room leaving the door open for the small cat, so that she could come and go as she pleased. Quietly he padded down the hallway and turned down to walk down the stairs. Halfway down the stairs he spotted his daddy smiling at him from where he was sitting on the couch.

"Did you find everything?"

Harry gave a small nod as he continued down the stairs and walked to stand in front of Severus who had gotten up from his seat.

"Good, let's get your shoes and a coat on then and then we can take a little walk around the gardens and I can tell you what sections you are allowed in and what one's are off limits. Some of the plants that I have grown are poisonous, and I don't want you to get hurt."

Again Harry nodded, as Severus led him over to a door where his shoes had been placed, and a coat hung up for him. Quickly he slipped his shoes on and bent down to tie them. When his shoes fit snuggly Severus gave the boy his jacket to put on. Satisfied that Harry was going to be warm enough, Severus opened the door and gently led the boy outside into the cold weather.

As soon as Harry saw the outside of the manor he had to stop for a moment and stare in wonder. In front of him was a huge field that would be perfect for flying his broom. Maybe he could invite Ron over to fly with him sometime. He was sure the other boy would love it.

Closing his mouth, Harry looked around further and saw the beautiful greenhouses that were set close to the house. In total, there were three of them and you could see even from the outside that they were brimming with beautiful flowers and plants.

Looking back up at Severus who smiled down at him Harry couldn't suppress the question that was bubbling up within him. "You planted all of that? When did you find the time?"

Severus let out a small chuckle as he reached over to ruffle Harry's hair fondly. "It did take a lot of work, but it is worth it. Now instead of having to buy ingredients that I don't know whether they are aged correctly I can be sure and just pick my own. It also saves money for our home and the school. Everything you have used from the potion stores at school has come from here."

Harry looked back over at the magnificent greenhouses. "Brilliant."

Smiling Severus gently started to guide Harry forward so he could see the plants for himself. "Indeed. If you would like, we could set up a spot for you to grow some plants."

As the two were walking in the door to the first greenhouse Harry turned and looked at Severus with bright eyes. "Really? I would love that!"

Severus smiled and ruffled his hair again. "I thought you would like that. Tomorrow, we'll see what we can do."

Harry smiled as he looked at the plans in front of him. Seeing the boy's smile Severus continued talking.

"The only part of this greenhouse that is off limits is the back corner. There is an age line that will prevent you from wondering near, but I want to make sure you know not to go near there. The pants over there are used for making dreamless sleep, and just touching them will send you in to a coma."

Harry looked up at Severus with wide eyes. "I won't go near there; I promise!"

Severus smiled at the boy. "I know you won't. Now let's see what else we have here that you can touch and take care of."

Harry nodded and let the man lead him even further into the greenhouse. For the next few hours, Severus and Harry toured the gardens and going through what Harry could and could not touch. They even found a corner that had not been planted yet and had Harry's name written all over it. Severus had to wonder if that had been the old man's doing, because he didn't remember there being a free corner before.

As day turned to night, the two set off back to the house for some dinner. Severus didn't want Harry to be outside after dark even if he was with him. It got chilly here at night, and getting a cold would do neither of them any good.

When they reached the house, both Severus and Harry took off their shoes and jackets by the front door, and an elf popped in before him making Harry jump so high he almost hit the ceiling.

Severus smiled at the small elf as Harry jumped in surprise. "Ah Maya, it's good you popped in. I would like you to meet Harry, my son."

The small elf's eyes lit up as she rushed forward to hug the boy tightly. As she hugged him, she looked up at the boy with wide eye.

"Is good to finally meet Harry Potter! Master Albus says so many good things about you. I is very happy to meet you!"

Harry awkwardly smiled as he suppressed a flinch. He had not expected to be hugged so tightly or touched at all. When the shock wore off, Harry reached over, and patted the elf gently on the back.

"It's good to meet you too...Maya."

The elf jumped back and then jumped up and down clapping her hands. "Oh I is going to have to make special meal tonight! I has to fatten up young Mater after all, just like Master Albus said!"

With a few more jumps and Severus shaking his head at her antics Maya popped away. When she did pop away, Harry looked at Severus and the man couldn't help but burst out in laughter at the shock and surprise on his face.

When Severus calmed down he placed a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder and gave him a small smile. "She's quite excitable, isn't she?"

Harry still a little baffled at what had just happened simply nodded and stared where the small elf just was.

Still amused Severus patted Harry on the shoulder. "Don't worry Harry, you'll get used to her. She means no harm and I can guarantee when she does cook, you will swear you haven't had a better meal."

Harry nodded and shook himself out of his stupor by looking over at his daddy. "Is she always like that?"

Severus titled his head back and laughed. "I daresay she was holding back her excitement!"

Harry's eyes bulged out of his head as he looked at Severus. "You mean she was somewhat calm?"

Severus just nodded and patted Harry on the shoulder again. "Come on why don't we have a seat on the couch and wait for dinner. Would you like to do anything, like play chess, or anything else?"

Harry blushed and nodded. "Could we read some from that story book?"

Severus smiled and nodded. "Go and get it from your room and I'll be down here."

Harry nodded and started to run to the staircase vaguely hearing Severus yell after him not to run in the house. Pretending he didn't hear though Harry ran up the stairs and into his bed room finding the book almost immediately. Before he rushed back down the stairs though, he spotted Arwen still napping on the bed.

"It's almost dinner time."

Arwen's head rose and looked at the boy who had just entered. "Did you find me a nice mouse?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I'm sorry, I forgot. I think Daddy will let me give you bowl of milk though."

The kitten's ears perked up, and she jumped of the bed. "Lead the way."

Harry smiled and started to walk out of the room with the kitten close behind him. As Harry rushed back down the stairs, Severus watched shaking his head. If he didn't slow down one of these days, he was going to fall down those stairs.

Soon after though, he had a red faced smiling boy in front of him with a kitten close at his heals. Shaking his head once more he patted the couch beside him.

Harry blushed a bit as he looked down at his kitten. "Ummm… could I give some milk to Arwen?"

Severus smiled. "You can, but it's not good to give her too much so this will only be a treat."

Harry nodded and rushed out to the kitchen with the kitten following him. When he opened, the door Harry peaked around the corner and saw the hyper elf working away mixing something in a bowl.

Hearing the noise from the door though the elf around and flashed a smile at the boy. Spying the kitten behind him she had a feeling she knew what he wanted. "You wants some milk for your kitten?"

Harry nodded shyly as the elf went over to the fridge and summoned a bowl. Carefully she poured some of the milk into the bowl and handed it to the boy.

"There you go young master. I set out a carpet over by the table for her food and water; you can set this over there."

Harry nodded and accepted the bowl from the elf. "Thank you."

Smiling the house elf bounced up and down. "Anytimes Master Harry Potter."

Harry walked over to where the elf had said the carpet was and set down the bowl of milk for the kitten.

"There you go Arwen."

The kitten mewed happily and before jumping at the bowl of milk she rubbed her side against Harry's legs purring. Harry smiled and bent down the pet the soft kitten on the head.

"You're welcome."

The small fluff ball just kept lapping up her milk as Harry stood up. He then made his way back to the door and out into the living room.

Quietly he padded over to the couch and sat down next to Severus. He surprised the man by curling into his side and rested his head on his shoulder. All of a sudden he was feeling really tired and a little sad.

Severus pulled Harry back a little and examined Harry's face. "Harry? Are you alright?"

Harry nodded against Severus's side, but the man sensed something was indeed wrong so he gently drew Harry up to sit in his lap.

"Hey now, what is it?"

Harry shook his head with tears in his eyes. "I...I don't know. I...I just feel really sad, but...but I don't know why."

Severus wrapped his arms around Harry and let the boy rest his head against his chest. "It's ok Harry, you're probably just feeling all the stress of the past few days."

Harry nodded against Severus again and closed his eyes tiredly. He really wanted to read some of that story, but this sudden burst of emotions was making him tired.

Severus just sat there and held Harry for a few moments, before he reached over and grabbed the book that Harry had left their earlier. Opening it, he began to read some of the story that Harry had bookmarked to try to calm Harry a little. He knew the boy was probably just over tired and that latest burst of energy of running up and down the stairs had worm him out, but he wanted to keep him awake until he at least had something to eat.

A few chapters later the house elf appeared before Severus, but before she could say anything Severus simply nodded at her and she popped away understanding that he didn't want to startle the boy. She might be an excitable house elf, but she was a sensible one as well.

Gently Severus closed the book and patted Harry on the shoulder. "It's time for dinner, Harry."

Harry lifted his head and looked down at the small kitten that had decided that his lap was the perfect spot to sleep sometime during the story.

"Can I go to bed after that?"

Severus smiled and gently stroked back Harry's hair. "I think that's a good idea."

Harry nodded and started to get up gently moving the kitten over so that when he got up she wouldn't be dumped on the floor. Severus got up as well, stretching out his tired limbs.

He picked up the kitten and gently cradled her against his chest. "Did you give her any kibble tonight?"

Harry shook his head so Severus looked down at the yawning kitten. "Would you like some dinner?"

The small black ball of fuzz let out a small mew. "Alright then, I will take that as a yes. I'll show you where her kibble is kept. You should make sure her bowl is always full. She will make sure she eats enough."

Harry gave a small nod and accepted the fluff ball from Severus and held her close to his chest. "Come on Arwen let's go get you some dinner."

Severus smiled at the boy who was now carrying the kitten to the kitchen. He couldn't help, but think how truly wonderful this kitten would be for Harry. It would give Harry something to care for, but also someone who was not an adult to get advice from.

Sighing sadly, Severus closed his eyes. He knew about Harry's little question fest through Arwen earlier. He had stood outside the boy's door for a few moments to make sure he was alright when he had heard Harry. It had taken everything in him not to burst in the room so he could reassure the boy, but he knew he had to let Harry work some things out on his own, or with the help of Arwen. He felt so guilty that Harry was still hurting though, all he wanted was Harry to be a happy and healthy child.

Opening his eyes again Severus remembered the joy he had seen in Harry's eyes as he saw his new home and gardens. With a smile, he knew that was what was going to get them through all this. He vowed to make that smile and light appear in Harry's eyes as much as possible.

When the two finished dinner Severus followed Harry upstairs, but went to his own room as Harry went to his to change into his pajamas. A few minutes later when he was sure Harry was decent, Severus walked out of his bedroom and over to Harry's. Gently he knocked on the door and called out to the boy.

When he opened the door, he saw Harry laying in the bed with the kitten laying on the pillow next to him.

Smiling, Severus came in and sat down in the chair next to Harry's bed. "How do you like your new bed? Is it comfortable?"

Harry nodded against the pillows. "It's wonderful."

Severus nodded. "Tell me if anything is uncomfortable. We can change anything you want."

Seeing Harry nod again Severus pulled out the story book. "Would you like me to read some more or do you want to go to bed?"

"Can I go to bed? I'm really sleepy."

Severus smiled. "Of course you can."

The man put the book down and got up from his seat so that he could gently tuck Harry in all the way. When he was sure, Harry was comfortable Severus bent down and kissed Harry on the forehead.

"Sleep well my child. I love you."

"I love you too daddy."

Harry closed his eyes, but Severus stayed by his side stroking back his hair gently until he was sure the boy was fast asleep. Then removing his hand he reached over to pet the small kitten.

"Watch over him for me while he sleeps."

Opening one eye the kitten let out a soft mew in agreement.

With that Severus gave the kitten one last pet and then left the room setting off to Floo Don. He just wanted to make sure his assessment with Harry's feeling earlier had been correct.

Coming back downstairs Severus threw the green powder in the fireplace and called out the Healer's name. The man came into focus in seconds, but only nodded and asked Severus to step back so he could come through.

Stepping through Don came over and rested a gentle hand on Severus's shoulder and smiled at him.

"I take it Harry is sleeping peacefully?"

Severus nodded, but Don sensing something was wrong started to guide him to the couch.

"Tell me what's wrong Severus."

Severus sighed and then told him what had happened before dinner and what he had heard before heading to the greenhouse.

"Harry is acting perfectly normal. He is coping with everything that has happened to him and every so often he will get boughs of sadness for no apparent reason. Partially from the stress of everything that has happened and also from just pure exhaustion. It's a good thing Albus thought a rest was necessary for the both of you. I believe if we had thrown him back into school with how exhausted his core is he this could have turned into a depression. With some time and rest though, I am sure he will fight that off."

Severus nodded and put his head in his hands. Don just sat there and patted his back.

"Hey, it's ok Severus. He will be just fine."

Severus rose his head. "I know, but it's so hard to watch him when he's not alright."

Don started rubbing soothing circles on his back. "I know it is Severus, but you are being such a good dad, and he loves you so much. You can't fix everything at once; it takes time."

Severus smiled and nodded. "I know and thank you Don. As always you know just what to say."

Smiling Don nodded. "I only speak the truth. Now why don't you go get some sleep too. I see those bags under your eyes."

Sighing Severus stood. "Alright you win."

Don rose an eyebrow as he stood. "Stubborn man."

Severus turned and rolled his eyes. "You never cease to amuse me."

With a laugh, Don patted Severus on the shoulder and headed to the Floo. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Severus nodded and headed up stairs to his bed while Don Flooed back home satisfied that both his boy's were alright for the moment.

As Severus walked up the stairs he tiredly Nox-ed all the lights off downstairs, and in the hallway once he reached his room. Quickly he pulled on his pajamas and was asleep within moments. Done was right he needed sleep.

Not twenty minutes later though he was awoken by a scream. Harry was having a nightmare, and it sounded like an awful one.

Swinging his feet off the edge of the bed he pulled on his robe as he ran from the room and opened the door to Harry's.

Taking a deep breath and waiting a moment to wake the boy Severus stood watching as Harry screamed in his sleep and the kitten was trying to gently wake her master with her tongue. Severus knew that might work if Harry was not distressed, but not now when the poor thing was reliving something horrible. Nightmares were awful, they might not hurt you physically, but they really hurt your mind.

Gently Severus moved the kitten who hissed at him for not giving her notice of his movement. Ignoring her for just a moment Severus wrapped the blanked around Harry and gently lifted the boy up into his arms while leaning back on the bed so that he could hold Harry in a comfortable position.

Laying Harry's head on his shoulder Severus gently started to rub soothing circles on the boy's back and running his fingers through his hair ignoring the flinches his touch brought every so often.

Calmly he started to mumble soft words into Harry's ear, and slowly Harry began to wake up. When the screaming did stop and Harry's eyes flew open he launched himself on Severus.

"You're here! You're here!"

A little surprised Severus took a moment to respond, but when he did it was to reassure the boy that yes, he was there and he always would be.

Many soothing words later, Harry was calming down slowly, but surely. Severus pulled the boy back a bit and looked at his tear stained face. Now came for the part he really hated, trying to get the child to talk.

"Do you want to tell me about it, Harry?"

Blinking his eyes, Harry just mumbled, "you're here, you're here" over and over again.

Shifting Harry so they were in more of a sitting position Severus nodded again. "Yes Harry, I'm here."

Harry launched himself back onto Severus startling the man again. Gently he patted Harry's back and decided that maybe it would be best for Harry to try to get some more sleep at the moment than tell him what his dream was. It seemed that the boy was still too dazed to receive any benefit from it and was just too upset.

"Would you like to come back to bed with me?"

Harry nodded against his chest vigorously so Severus got up from the bed and closely followed by the kitten went to his room. He would have just slept with Harry in his bed, but it was really two small for the both of them and Severus's bed was big enough so that he didn't have to worry about kicking the kitten or Harry rolling out.

Reaching his room Severus set the boy gently down on the bed, but Harry reached forward to try to grab onto Severus stopping him from leaving. Fortunately for Severus he saw it coming and moved at just the right time. He had just had a brainstorm, and he hoped this would help calm the boy.

"I'll be right back Harry. I'm just going to get some warm milk for you to drink. Stay here with Arwen and I'll be right back."

Harry just nodded, but couldn't help the few small tears that left his eyes. He didn't want his daddy to go anywhere; he wanted him to stay with him when he was feeling so scared.

In mere moment, though Severus was back with a glass filled with warm milk. He came over to Harry and gently helped Harry sit up against the pillows.

"Drink this Harry. It will help you calm down and feel more sleepy."

Harry nodded and started to take sips of the soothing warm milk. What he didn't know was that Severus had spiked the milk with his special calming potion that Don had given him for the nightmares. He knew the milk would do Harry some good, but the potion intertwined with it would just make it more potent and keep Harry from dwelling on his scared feelings.

When Harry was, half finished he held the glass out and Severus took it. "Are you finished?"

The boy gave a small nod and leaned into Severus side who put the glass aside on the bedside table.

"Do you want to tell me what your dream was about now?"

Harry looked down and shook his head, but Arwen came up and butted her head against the boy's hand. Reaching down Harry began to pet the kitten and nodded.

Severus reached over and gently placed a hand on Harry's shoulder. "Whenever you are ready Harry, I'm here."

Harry sighed and started to wipe the teas from his face with his sleeve, but Severus stopped him and handed him a handkerchief which Harry took gratefully.

Another few moments of silence passed, but then Harry opened his mouth and all that had happened at the Diaz's spilled out. Starting from the moment he got there until the moment Don had rescued him. Severus had known the big picture from Don's description of his wounds, but hearing it from Harry was a whole different story. He wanted to kill that Death Eater all over again that had hurt his boy. How could that woman take part in harming a child? Didn't she have any compassion? He was glad she was locked away; otherwise, he would be hunting her down at this very moment.

When Harry was finished spilling his soul Severus pulled Harry into his lap and gently hugged him close. "Thank you for telling me all that Harry. You are such a brave boy and so very, very special. You are not dirty at all. You are a wonderful little boy who deserves to be loved and not hurt. Here you will never be hurt by anyone. We will do everything in our power to keep you safe. You won't ever have to earn your keep."

Severus supposed it wouldn't hurt to address Harry's fears from earlier.

Harry nodded against Severus's shoulder and closed his eyes. The potion was now taking effect on his tired body, and he was very sleepy. Gently Severus stroked back Harry's hair and laid him down on the bed.

"There you go Harry; I'll be right here with you."

Harry nodded and snuggled into the covers with Arwen sitting protectively on his chest. Tucking him in fully Severus got up and sat in the chair for a moment to clear his head of all the images Harry had given him.

Closing his eyes, Severus started to take calming breaths and occlude his mind banishing those thoughts from his mind. He needed sleep, not another sleepless night.

When Severus felt himself calm enough he got up from the chair and went back over to the sleeping boy on his bed. Gently he got in trying not to disturb him, but as soon as Harry felt his presence he rolled over and buried his head in his chest.

Sighing Severus snaked his arms around Harry and pulled him close. After everything Harry had been through if all Harry needed was a comforting arm around his shoulders as he slept than he would do that. At least, while he was healing.

With another sigh, Severus closed his eyes and rested his chin on Harry's head falling asleep with the thought of his boy healing and just how long it was going to take.