Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much Lady Destiny for being my amazing beta!

As they finished their lunch in the park, Severus started to pack away the rest of it in the basket Maya had given them. When it was all packed away Severus quickly looked around, making sure no Muggles were near, and then banished it back to the house so that they wouldn't have to carry it around anymore.
Ghosts
As they finished their lunch in the park, Severus started to pack away the rest of it in the basket Maya had given them. When it was all packed away Severus quickly looked around, making sure no Muggles were near, and then banished it back to the house so that they wouldn't have to carry it around anymore.

Getting off the ground, Severus then helped the boy up to his feet. "Are you ready to go?"

The boy gave a small nod. "We were going to get some flowers first, right?"

Smiling Severus nodded. "Thank you for reminding me. I think the flower shop is right down the street. Would you like to pick something out special?"

"Can I?"

Severus held out his hand for Harry to hold and nodded. "Of course child."

Accepting the offered hand Harry leaned into Severus's side as they headed down the street to the flower shop.

When they reached the flower shop they walked in and were immediately greeted by a kind, elderly woman who Severus supposed was the shop owner. Maybe he should take more trips into town.

"Hello, what can I do for you two today?"

Severus smiled, but pulled the boy a little closer to his side. He could feel him start to shake with nerves. They were really going to have to work with him with this new stranger thing. Or else how was he going to be able to get back to school? He couldn't flinch every time someone new entered a room.

"Can we have a bouquet of while lilies and chrysanthemums."

The woman nodded and went in the back room to get what was asked for. While she was gone Severus looked down at the shy boy and smiled. "What would you like to get?"

Harry looked around and shyly pointed at a bunch of red roses.

"Are those the ones that you would like to get?"

Harry lowered his arm and nodded. So slowly, with Harry by his side, Severus walked forward and took a bunch of the roses, wrapping them in the paper that was next to them as he did.

When he was finished, he walked up to the cash register with the flowers in hand and then set them down.

While he was waiting for the woman to come back with the arrangement, he looked back down at Harry concerned.

"Are you alright there Harry?"

Harry gave a small nod, but leaned into his side even more. It was nice to have a kind shoulder to lean on.

Knowing that he wouldn't get any further with the boy at the moment Severus just nodded and wrapped an arm around the boy's shoulder.

Just then the woman came back with the bouquet in a vase. "Is that all?"

"Yes, and these roses."

Smiling the woman nodded and started to ring everything up on the register. "I hate to be nosey, but may I ask who the lucky lady is getting all these flowers?"

Severus looked down at Harry for a moment and then answered her question slowly. "We are going to visit Harry's mother's grave today."

Pausing for a moment the woman's smile faltered a bit. She had not expected an answer like that. "Oh, I'm so sorry."

Severus just nodded and handed her the money that was owed. When she took the money Severus grabbed the flowers and handed the bouquet of roses to Harry.

"Come on Harry. Let's go before it gets dark. I believe they trick or treat around here and try to play pranks."

Harry nodded and dutifully followed behind Severus. For a while, they walked down the sidewalk until they reached front gates of the graveyard.

Taking a deep breath Severus looked down at his child. "Ready?"

Harry nodded hugging the bouquet of roses close to his chest. He didn't really know why, but he was really nervous about seeing his parent's graves. It didn't help that as soon as they reached the gate Arwen had disappeared behind a bush.

Severus had tried to explain to the boy that cats and Kneazle didn't like being near graveyards because of their heightened senses. And while Harry had nodded understanding, he still seemed a little distressed that he had lost his friend for a little while, but Severus reassured him that she would meet them back at the gate when they were ready to leave.

Finally, after a bit more reassuring, Harry let Severus place an arm around his shoulders and open the gate with a quick wave of his wand.

Gently Severus guided the boy inside the graveyard and over to where he knew Lily and James Potter were buried. He had been here often enough to know just where they were.

At one point Albus had even planted a tree and placed a bench beneath it so that he could watch him and make sure he was ok. It had hit him hard when Lily died and for some reason he had felt a little better being here. Like he had been a little closer to Lily.

Passing the stone bench Albus had made and little trinkets that people had left behind, the two slowly made it over to the graves they wished to visit. When they reached the double grave, with tears in his eyes Harry knelt down before the gravestone setting down the roses in front of him.

Very gently with a finger Harry traced the words written above his parent's names. "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Closing his eyes Harry dropped his hand to rest in his lap and his head to his chest. "Hi Mum, hi Dad. I miss you."

Severus came forward and placed a gentle hand on the boy's back. He then reached in his pocket and took out the stuffed deer and returned it to its normal size.

Kneeling down next to Harry the man kept one hand firmly on Harry's back while he set down both the vase of flowers and the stuffed deer.

Then, he took the locket he had been carrying around all day out of his pocket and set it down gently on the boy's lap. The boy looked up at him confused, but Severus just motioned for him to open it. He knew that when the boy opened it he would more than likely understand.

With a few stray tears Harry reached down and opened the beautiful golden locket. Much to the boy's surprise it seemed to be a magical locket and it didn't just hold one picture; it held many.

"This was your mother's, Harry. She didn't believe in scrap books so she kept all your baby pictures in here and wore it around her neck every day."

The boy just nodded and continued to flip through the pictures. The first one was of his mother and James hugging each other and looking down at her belly, her smile was so wide that Harry let a small smile slip. Then there was one of his father trying to feed him some sort of soft food, but when it went in his mouth he spit it back out in the poor man's face while Lily stood by laughing. The one after that, was the same one he had seen in their living room, of him learning how to walk. Then there was one that Harry would treasure forever. It was probably the last photograph taken of all three of them. He was sitting on James's lap, and he kept grabbing at his glasses while his mother just looked on fondly at the interaction.

While Harry was deep in thought he didn't notice the pale, ghostly figures that appeared next to him and Severus. Severus did though, and he looked longingly up at his love and the man he had once hated.

Gently he patted Harry's back to gain his attention. "Harry, we have guests."

Harry looked up and spotted the two smiling ghosts. He was more than a little startled by their appearance. "Mum? Dad?"

Lily came forward and placed a gentle, but cold hand on Harry's cheek making him shiver slightly. "Hi my love."

Harry looked shyly down at his lap. "I miss you."

"We miss you too Harry and we will always love you."

Harry looked up with such hope in his eyes that it broke Severus's heart and it would have broken both Lily and James's if they still had one. "Really?"

"Yes child. Why don't we go and sit down somewhere where it is more comfortable for your daddy. It's not good for him to kneel on the ground for long."

Severus looked a little miffed, but secretly he was a little grateful. His knees didn't really like kneeling like this, but still he had to keep some on his dignity. "Lily, I'm not that old."

Knowingly Lily rose an eyebrow, but said nothing. James just leaned back on his heels and hid a laugh behind his hand.

Sighing Severus stood up stiffly and held out a hand to help Harry up. "Maybe your mother is right. Let's go sit down on the bench."

James smiled and rolled his eyes. "Lily is always right. I thought you knew that Severus?"

Lily smacked the back of her husband's head. "Be a good example James and stop teasing Severus."

"Yes ma'am." James looked down and pretended to look ashamed, but you could clearly still see the amusement in his eyes.

Harry just looked on astonished at his parents. He didn't know whether to be amused by their antics or feel sorry for his father for getting smacked. Strangely though the interaction somewhat calmed his nerves and set him more at ease. It also kind of reminded him of someone…but he couldn't quite put a finger on just whom…

A sudden image of Hermione hitting Ron on the back of the head, but he shrugged off that thought for later and followed his Daddy to the bench and sat down next to him, close to his side. Lily and James came over as well, and Lily sat next to Severus while James took a seat near Harry.

James leaned over so that he could see Harry's face. "So Harry, how are you doing?"

"I'm ok….Why are you here?"

James gave a sad smile and looked at his boy. "We wanted to tell you goodbye for the last time Harry. We can't come back again after this."

Tears welled up in Harry's eyes, and he leaned into Severus. From the time he was little he knew that he would probably never see his parents again, but now that they were there he had hoped that they could stay. "You...you can't stay?"

"No Harry, we can't stay. Severus here is going to fill in for us."

James felt awful and all while Lily and himself had been pulling strings to make this visit happen he had wondered if this was the right thing to do. Would it would really help Harry like Lily had said it would or it would hurt him more. Lily had eventually convinced him that this one last visit would help Harry move on, not forget, but move on with his life.

Harry looked up at his ghostly father. "You're...you're not mad?"

The man smiled and shook his head. "Not at all. There is no reason for us to be angry. We know you are not replacing us in your heart with Severus; you just made a little more room for him to fit."

Harry looked down to his lap and nodded, clearly he was not completely convinced that the ghost in front of him was not angry.

Lily got up from her seat and kneeled down in front of her son. "Look at me love."

Harry looked up with a few stray tears in his eyes. "What your father says is true sweetheart. You have a big heart Harry and have plenty of room in there for all of us."

Seeing that Harry was still not fully believing what she was saying Lily tried a different tactic. "You love Ron and Hermione; right?"

Harry nodded. "They're my best friends."

Lily smiled. "It's like that. When you met them, you made room in your heart for them; you didn't replace anyone."

Harry shook his head. "That was different. I didn't have any friends before them."

Lily sighed and looked to Severus for help. After all, she had only a year of parenting experience under her belt and that was a long time ago. Severus had been raising Harry for a few months now and she had to admit that he knew her son better than she did. It was a lot different watching from afar than helping them grow into adults.

Severus reached around and did what Harry's parents could not, he put an arm around Harry's shoulders and drew him into his lap. Gently he wrapped his arms around the boy and hugged him tightly to his chest.

"Listen to your mother Harry. All three of us are telling you it is alright to feel as if you do. It is alright to open your heart."

Harry leaned his head into his Daddy's chest and nodded. Apparently, hearing it from Severus was just what Harry needed to hear. Over the last few months, Harry's trust had grown in Severus and that was a truly miraculous feat after everything that had been done to him.

Lily reached forward and tried to put her hand on Harry's cheek again. When she couldn't feel her little boy beneath her touch, she gave the boy a sad smile and removed her hand.

James got up from his seat and placed a hand on her shoulder. "We should be going now. Our time here is limited."

Lily nodded and stood up. "James is right. Remember Harry, we love you and always will."

Harry nodded, but then before he could stop himself a question burst forth from his mouth. "You don't blame me, do you?"

James smiled while he kept a hand on his wife's shoulder. "No child. Nothing was your fault. We made our choice to protect you and neither of us regret that and would do it all over again in a heartbeat."

Lily nodded. "We are also very glad that Severus found you and took you in. We want you to be happy Harry."

Harry snuggled into Severus a bit more feeling lighter than when he had woken up this morning and a whole lot better. "I still miss you."

Smiling at her son Lily placed a hand over James's that was still on her shoulder. "And we miss you too sweet, but we know you are in good hands. Remember, although you won't be able to see us, we will always be on the sidelines to cheer you on. We are so very proud of you."

The ghostly man looked at Severus with a small smile. "And thank you Severus for putting everything aside to take care of my son. I don't know whether I could have been that good of a man. I sorely misjudged you and I regret that immensely."

Severus just gave a small nod at the man he had once hated. "You have a remarkable son. It's hard not to love him."

As Harry blushed and buried his head deeper into Severus's robes the three looked at him fondly.

Finally, Lily saved her son of death by embarrassment and stepped forward to say her final goodbyes. Gently she placed a cold, ghostly kiss on Severus's forehead and then on Harry's.

"Goodbye my loves. Live long and happy lives."

As Lily stood back up James smiled and bent over to give Harry's forehead a kiss and pretended as if he was going to do the same to Severus. With a quick snarl and scowl he retreated with a smile and a hearty chuckle.

"Good-bye Harry and take care of your Daddy. He needs you just as much as you need him."

With that, the two ghostly figures slowly faded away leaving father and son sitting on a stone bench in the middle of a graveyard.

When the last of the ghosts disappeared Harry turned his head and buried his face into Severus's robes.

"Was that real?"

Severus wrapped his arms firmly around the boy and held him close. "I believe so Harry; I believe so."

The two sat there for a while until Severus realized that it was getting dark. Pulling Harry back a bit he looked him in the eyes.

"We should start heading home Harry. Would you like to arrange the flowers and things before we go though?"

Harry gave a small nod and with a little help got off Severus's lap and started to head over to his parent's grave. Very carefully he arranged all the flowers and the stuffed animal so that the joint grave looked the best it had in many years.

When Harry was finished and he was just kneeling before the grave Severus came up behind him and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"It's beautiful Harry."

Harry turned his head and smiled at Severus. He then stood up and launched himself into the warm arms that were waiting for him.

"Come on child, let's go home. "

Harry nodded into Severus's robes as he began to gently guide him out of the graveyard and back home. When they reached the gate, a small kitten came running out of the bushes and jumped onto Harry's shoulder.

Surprised Harry looked at the small fuzz ball and rose an eyebrow. "Decide to join us now?"

Slightly miffed the kitten batted his nose with her paw. "I don't like ghosts. They creep me out."

"You could have said something before you left you know."

"What would be the fun in that?"

Harry shook his head in amusement and adverted his gaze to look over at Severus who looked as if he were laughing at them.

"What?"

Severus rose both eyebrows. "You two look like an old married couple arguing like that."

"Dad!"

Severus just let out a laugh and drew the boy into a hug. "I'm just kidding with you, child. Now hold on tight, I'm going to Apparate us home.

"Harry did as he was told and held on tight to Severus. A few moments later and a nauseous stomach Harry found himself back home in his living room, but on his knees trying not to lose his lunch.

Gently Severus rubbed his back and pulled a vial out of his back pocket. "Drink this Harry. It will make you feel better."

Harry gratefully took the potion and gulped down in one swallow. Handing the vial back to Severus Harry grimaced at the taste and noticed that by his knees there was a purring kitten.

Taking a few deep breaths Harry felt a wave of relief as his stomach calmed. He then looked up at his Daddy and smiled. "Thank you."

"You're welcome Harry. I believe Don and Albus were going to come join us for dinner, would you like to do anything before they come?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't know. Can I go lay down for a bit, I'm kinda tired."

"Of course, you can Harry. Do you want me to come tuck you in?"

Harry nodded and blushed a bit. He knew he was too old for such a thing, but it was nice to have such care.

Severus gave a small smile and helped the boy up to his feet. The two then walked up the stairs with a kitten following close behind them.

When they got up to Harry's room Severus went over to the dresser and took out a set of Harry's pajamas. Carefully he laid them on the bed and then looked over at the boy who was pulling out his beloved story book.

Severus smiled and patted Harry on the shoulder. "Why don't you get changed, I'll be right back."

Harry nodded and watched as Severus shut the door behind him. Quickly he got into his night clothes and hopped into bed. As soon as he was under the covers he took the locket off his neck and opened it, looking at the pictures of his past.

A few minutes later Severus knocked softly on the door and entered. Seeing the boy on the bed looking through the locket he smiled and came over to sit in the chair.

"How are you feeling Harry?"

He was slightly concerned for the child. A lot had happened today, and he really had no idea how he was feeling. He knew his own mind was awash with feelings he was having trouble comprehending, and if he was feeling that way then how was Harry?

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "I guess I'm tired."

Severus reached over and placed a gentle hand on Harry's to gain his full attention. The boy sure was good at averting his attention these days and avoiding questions. Maybe he should just wait for Don to come and talk with him. Harry seemed more comfortable telling his feelings to him lately.

"Are you sure you're alright Harry?"

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I...I don't know. I don't really want to talk right now."

"Alright, child. I am here for you when you need to talk, and Don will be by later. Do you want me to read some?"

Harry put the locket on the bedside table and nodded. So Severus picked up the book and started to read where he left off.

A few hours later found Severus, Don and Albus sitting in the living room while Harry was still upstairs sleeping. They didn't want to disturb Harry when it was obvious that he needed some rest. It was unlike Harry to voluntary take a nap without a little help these days unless he was really tired.

Albus held his cup of tea in his hands and looked at Severus intently. "So Severus, you're saying that Lily and James visited you in the graveyard?"

The man nodded and then explained everything that had happened during their visit. When he was finished, Albus leaned back on the couch and sighed. He knew it took a lot for a soul to come back to the living world once on the other side. Often times, those souls had to agree to donate their time to help guide lost souls to rest in peace. A job that was not something one looked forward to.

Concerned Don placed a hand on Albus's shoulder. "Albus?"

Straightening up Albus gave the worried man a gentle smile. "I'm alright Don; I was just thinking."

Don still looked at him with a calculating gaze, but when Albus gave him a reassuring smile he nodded deciding to pry later.

"Severus how are you feeling?"

The man sighed, but looked at the Healer knowing that he was going to pry every feeling out of him anyway. "Sad, angry with myself, and a bit confused."

Don got out off the couch and sat of the edge of Severus's chair placing a gentle hand on the man's shoulder. "Why are you sad Severus?"

Again Severus sighed, "How could I not be sad after today? Lily and even James didn't get to see their son grow up. You should have seen Lily, at one point she didn't know what to say so she looked at me for help!"

Sadly Don smiled. "That's because, you are such a wonderful father and know practically everything about Harry."

"It shouldn't be that way though! Harry should have grown up with both his parents and lived a happy life with them! I should still be in the shadows watching; I should never have had to take Harry under my wing. It shouldn't have been necessary."

"But it has Severus, and we can't change the past. You know that."

Severus leaned forward and placed his face into his hands. "I know, but I still can't help thinking of the what if's. What if I had come sooner? What if I had saved Lily?"

Don started to gently rub Severus's back. "Severus, we have been over this many times. Don't go down this path again. Remember what happened last time?"

The man closed his eyes and nodded. He remembered very well what had happened, and Don was right he didn't want to go down that path again. It had been a long road to recovery, and he couldn't do that to Harry. He couldn't be hospitalized and leave his child alone.

"Good, I am glad you remember, because you know I will not hesitate to lock you up in the hospital until I know you are well."

Don knew he was being harsh to the poor man, but he also knew this was the only thing that would get through his thick head of his.

Gently Don started to send Severus some calming magic. He had a feeling Harry might come down in a little while, and he didn't want him to see Severus all worked up. Harry didn't need anything more to worry about, they had just gotten him to a comfortable spot.

"Ok Severus, that explains why you are feeling a little sad and angry at yourself, but what are you confused about?"

Severus shrugged his shoulders as he unconsciously lent into Don's touch. "I don't know...I mean why did they choose now to come and visit? He was having a bad day already, and...I...I don't know whether their visit helped...or hurt..."

Continuing to rub Severus's back Don let out a small sigh. "I don't know why they chose today, but I am sure that they had a reason. Harry will be fine, if you are concerned I'll go talk with him, but I am sure he is alright. Don't worry so much Severus, as you have seen children bounce back rather quickly and I believe that seeing his parents might have healed a big hole in his heart. As you said they reassured him that they don't blame him and that they know he is not replacing them. Those were a few of his biggest fears these last few months."

Severus nodded and sat back up. So Don removed his hand and smiled at the man when he turned to face him. The worry was still etched in his features, but it was softer than before, and you could tell that he was feeling at least a little better.

Smiling at Severus Don patted his back once more. "Alright now?"

Severus nodded and looked over at Albus. "How has the hunt been going?"

With a glint in his eye Albus gave a soft nod. "Quick to change the subject, eh?"

The man just rolled his eyes and looked intently at his mentor while Albus let out a small laugh. He loved teasing Severus, especially when it lightened the man's mood.

"Very well, my dear boy. I have located it in the Lestrange's family vault and have begun to negotiate with the Goblins. It looks as if I might need Sirius's help though since Bellatrix is a part of the Black family."

Severus nodded. "Do you think they will hand it over to you?"

"I have no idea my boy, but remember I still have many tricks up my sleeve. I will get it one way or another."

"That only leaves one more besides the one in Harry's scar, correct?"

Albus nodded. "That is right my dear boy."

The elder wizard then turned to Don. "Have you found a way to extract the dark magic?"

Don nodded, but seemed to contemplate his words before he spoke. "I might have found something, but it is not painless. There is a spell that has not been used in a long time and can be dangerous, but it might work. It was used back in the days of Merlin to purify a wizard of evil by first draining all his magic and only putting back the light magic. As you can guess there is a danger that Harry would lose all his magic, but if it is performed by a powerful wizard there is little chance of that happening."

As much as this option didn't sound appealing to Severus he grudgingly knew that if Don was only suggesting this one option that it was the only way to remove the dark magic from his boy. So looking at Albus Severus sighed. "Will you help Harry?"

Albus gave a small nod. "I would do anything to help Harry."

Don rested a gentle hand on Severus's back. "Let me look a little more into this and see whether I can find anything else before we jump into action. I want to ask a few more people what they think."

Both of the other men nodded, but Albus spoke. "We will wait until we find and destroy the last Horcrux then."

Severus took a deep breath. "What then? Do we go after Voldemort and kill him?"

Sadly Albus looked at his boy. He knew this was going to come up sooner or later, but he had wished for the latter for he knew he would likely not come out of this alive. "I will go after him alone."

Sensing what Albus was planning Severus stood up more out of worry than anything else. "At least have me come along! You can't go by yourself! That's...that's suicide!"

In a low voice Albus set to explain himself and try to calm the man before him. "Severus, I am old and it is almost my time; I can feel it in my bones. I would much rather it be me than you leaving Harry all alone again. Besides, as I said before I still have some tricks up my sleeve."

Severus collapsed down into his chair with a thunk. "Can someone else help you? Moody? Minerva? I'm not ready..."

The older man gave Severus a sad smile. "We are never truly ready my boy, but I will never really be gone, for a part of me will always live inside your heart."

Severus closed his eyes and leaned forward to rest his head in his hands again, this time his shoulders gave a slight heave.

Don and Albus shared a silent look, and Don moved while the older man came over and rested both hands on Severus's shoulders and then with great ease drew him up to his feet pulling him into a hug. "It will be alright my boy. Let's not think of this for now. I didn't mean to scare you. I will never leave you on purpose, but if I do go I want you to know that you will still have a home here. I have already set up my will so that you will inherit everything, you are my sole heir."

Severus shook his head against Albus's chest. "I don't deserve any of it. I don't want it if you're gone."

Gently Albus rubbed his back soothingly. "My boy, I don't care if you feel as if you deserve any of it or not. You do, but that is not the point. I will always make sure you are taken care of, and this is my way of ensuring you are."

Accepting defeat Severus just nodded and fell into the warmth of his mentor. He knew that the man would not go down without a fight, but still it was distressing to even think about him putting his life on the line.

Albus gave Severus one last hug and then pulled him away from his chest. "Now Severus, why don't you and I go help Maya with dinner while Don goes upstairs to wake Harry?"

The Healer and Albus shared another look and Severus seemingly oblivious nodded. "Alright."

Don smiled and walked over to Severus, before he started to head upstairs. Gently he rested a hand on Severus's shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze. "Let me worry about this old man Severus, I'll knock some sense into his head."

The man smiled at the Healer while Albus just pretended not to notice what they were talking about. He knew Don was going to scold him later for not wanting to take every precaution, but he felt as though he was old, and he didn't want anyone else to get hurt in this war. It was bad enough that both his boy's were tangled up in all this mess.

With one last look at Albus and Severus, Don started to head upstairs to see Harry. He had a feeling and apparently so did Albus that there was more going on in Harry's head than Severus thought. Well, Severus had a feeling there was more that Harry was not telling him, but wasn't really vocalizing his worry.

Putting those thoughts away for later Don gently knocked on Harry's door just in case he was awake and then entered.

As he opened the door, the Healer smiled at the boy who was still sleeping on the bed. He was curled on his side under the covers with his kitten laying right on top of his head.

Coming in the room a little more, Don softly sat on the edge of the bed. The movement might not have been enough to wake Harry, but it was for the kitten. Opening her eyes the kitten saw it was Don she gave him a slight glare and then got up with a stretch. She knew he was here to wake her human up, but that didn't mean he had to wake her up as well.

Slightly miffed she walked to the edge of the bed and plopped herself down closing her eyes to try to get a bit more rest.

Smiling Don shook his head in amusement, but then looked at Harry and set to his task of waking the boy. Gently he placed a hand on Harry's shoulder and gave it a gentle rub. A moment later sleepy eyes met his, and he smiled.

"Hi Harry."

Closing his eyes again Harry nodded and yawned. When the jaw breaking yawn was over Harry opened his eyes again and gave a small smile. "Hi."

"Ready for some food?"

The boy gave a small nod, but then let out another wide yawn.

Smiling Don patted Harry's shoulder. "Still tired?"

Nodding again Harry started to try to sit up. "A little. How long have I been asleep?"

"Just a few hours. You can go to bed early tonight though if you're still tired."

Sitting up all the way Harry gave a small nod and stretched his arms above his head. "Why am I so tired? I've never felt like this before."

Slightly frowning Don reached over and placed a tender hand on the boy's forehead. After a few seconds, he removed it and smiled at the boy. "Well, you don't feel warm. I bet you are just tired from the busy day you've had."

The Healer didn't mention that he was silently casting a diagnostic charm on the by to make sure that he was correct. He didn't want to miss something. When the spell came back saying that everything was a-ok Don smiled again.

"Do you want to tell me about today?"

Obviously, the boy was feeling better than before he had fallen asleep because he nodded and began to tell the Healer everything that had happened that day not leaving a part out. When he reached the part about his parents though, he seemed a bit distant...and a bit off.

To comfort him Don just placed a gentle hand on the boy's to let him know that he was still there. When Harry was finished speaking Don gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "Are you ok there Harry?"

Blinking a bit Harry gave a small nod, but looked down at his quilt.

Don noticed right away the reluctance Harry was having, but knew that the boy would have to speak about what was bothering him or else he would burst.

"What is it Harry? Was it something they said?"

Harry shook his head. "No...it's just I'll never see them again...I mean I never thought I would be able to see them this time...it's just..."

Don nodded. He understood where the boy was coming from. It was almost like a tease of what could be with them coming to say their goodbyes. "You wish they could stay."

Harry nodded. "Yeah...I mean I love my daddy...but what if?"

Don gave the boy a gentle smile. "I know Harry. What if they were still here. It's perfectly ok to wonder, but just remember that you can't, as much as we all want to, change the past. Things happen for one reason or another, and as much as we don't want to, we have to live with it."

Harry let out a small breath and nodded and then looked up at Don. "Why couldn't they stay though?"

Sadly Don patted Harry's hand. "Spirits who have already crossed over only can come back for short amounts of time if at all. I am sure if they could have stayed they would have."

Heaving another breath Harry nodded. Strangely, he was feeling alright. Not the best, but considering everything that had happened that day, he was alright. He wished with every bone in his body that his parents were still alive, but that conversation earlier with them had cleared up more than a few of his fears, and he felt...almost content.

Looking Harry up and down to try to gage how the boy was feeling Don gave him a small smile. "Do you want to go down and eat with us?"

Harry gave a soft nod and started to swing his legs off the other side of the bed. When he stood he took a deep breath and then started to walk to his dresser draws. Before he could grab a shirt though, Don placed a gentle hand on his shoulder making him turn.

"Harry. Are you really feeling alright? A lot happened today, and your daddy thought there might be something up."

Harry sighed and looked down. "Before I feel asleep, I had a lot of questions...but I thought a lot about what happened...and...and I understand. They don't want me to be sad for them for the rest of my life; they want me to live my life. Not forget them, but move on...and I think I can do that. It's not going to be easy...but I have to enjoy my life with you...daddy...the Headmaster...and my friends."

Don smiled and brought the boy into a hug. "You truly are a remarkable young man, you know that?"

Harry pulled back a bit and looked confused. "Why?"

"Because you are Harry. Now. Why don't you get yourself dressed and I'll meet you downstairs, alright?"

Harry gave a small nod. Adults could be so weird sometimes.

Before Don left he turned, and looked at the bed and then at Harry. "Oh, and you might want to tell Arwen that Albus has a special treat for her if she comes downstairs."

The cat stood up and rushed out the door as soon as she heard the mention of a treat making both Don and Harry laugh. When they both calmed down Don shot a wink at Harry and closed the door behind him.

Quickly Harry got dressed and pulled then pulled a jumper over his head. He could quite clearly remember his Daddy giving him a scolding look and sending him right back upstairs the other night when he didn't have one on, and he had to admit he was a lot happier for it. It was getting quite cold in the evenings now. Pretty soon they were going to have snow.

When he knew he had everything on, Harry opened his door and practically flew down the stairs. At the last minute, he again remembered his Daddy telling him not to run in the house and slowed down It was funny how his conscious was sounding more and more like his Daddy every day. It was kind of scary.

Walking down the rest of the stairs he spotted Albus waiting at the bottom. Shyly he waved as he stopped on the last step.

Albus just gave him a large smile and offered his elbow. "May I escort you to a gift for your kitten?"

Harry smiled and took the man's offered elbow. "Is she already there?"

"Yes, but I believe she needs your help opening it."

Curiosity getting the better of his Harry followed the man over to the living room corner where there was a large box wrapped in paper and a bow. In front of the box, there was an inpatient looking cat who immediately snapped at him. "Took you long enough. Now open it! I smell catnip!"

Harry smiled at the kitten and shook his head. Then, he turned to look at Albus with an evil smile. "Maybe we should wait until after dinner."

Albus threw his head back and laughed. When he calmed down he looked at Harry with a wink. "I think that's a good idea."

The kitten walked up to the two and sat down revealing her claws. "Test me."

Just the kitten's action set Albus into giggles again, but Harry hearing what she said laughed outright. This was just what he needed after such a day, and he was so glad to have the fluff ball.

"Ok Arwen, you made your point. I'll open it for you."

The cat jumped up and went to sit before the great purple and orange present, but then turned to look back at Harry. "What are you waiting for? Hurry up!"

Harry smiled and rose an eyebrow at the kitten. He hadn't realized just how inpatient she could be before now. Shaking his head he went towards the package.

When he reached the present he untied the great red ribbon and watched as the cardboard fell to the sides revealing what was every cat's dream.

There stood an enormous cat tree. At least four stories tall and had many tunnels and platforms all cat nip infused. On all those shelves and tunnels were tons of toy mice and other furry creatures, and he supposed those had a ton of cat nip in them as well.

As he cat zipped to climb the enormous cat tree, Harry turned to look at a still laughing Albus.

"Do you want my cat to drive me crazy sir?"

Albus shook his head and with the sparkle present in his eye he gestured to the kitchen where Harry was sure his daddy was. "No, just your father."

Harry smiled and rolled his eyes. "Does he even know you set this up here?"

The man smiled mischievously. "I'm sure he noticed that it was here, but I never did tell him what was inside."

Harry just turned to look at his kitten who was going crazy with joy. So much cat nip had her senses overloaded, and she was jumping from here to there. Harry just shook his head with a smile. "At least I know you'll sleep well tonight."

Albus came up behind Harry and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Come on Harry, let's go have some dinner and let her have some fun."

The boy nodded and let Albus lead him into the kitchen.

When they entered the kitchen, Harry saw both Don and Severus sitting at the table. Smiling Severus patted the seat beside him, and Harry accepted the offer. Albus sat down as well, and they all started in on their meal.

Later that night as Harry lay in bed waiting for Severus to come in and tuck him in he started to think about his day again. He sighed and rolled over to his side catching sight of the locked that had belonged to his mother. Reaching over he picked it up and opened it.

It still amazed him that a whole part of his life could be fit into something so small...but then the time he had had with them had been short. Sighing again, he turned to look at the picture of his throwing food at his father.

Gently he ran a finger over the memory fondly. He wished he could remember that first year with his parents. He was sure he was happy then. It wasn't that he was unhappy now, it was just….things could have been so much different.

Closing the locket Harry placed it back on the side table and rolled back over to stare at the ceiling. With his arm ran it across his eyes catching the few tears that had escaped. He then closed them completely and just lay there.

The next thing he knew he was being drawn into a warm lap and he opened his eyes to look at his Daddy giving him a sad smile. "Everything catching up to you?"

Harry gave a small nod and turned to accept the hug that was being offered. Severus wrapped strong arms around him and let the boy rest comfortably in the folds of his robes.

When some time had passed, Harry pulled back and again wiped his eyes. "Thank you...I needed that."

Severus just smiled and nodded. He then patted the bed and helped Harry get all situated again.

"Better?"

Harry nodded and looked down at the exhausted kitten on the end of the bed. She was gone to the world; she had just played too hard.

"Do you want me to read some more?"

Harry looked at Severus. "Can we read something else?"

The man nodded. "What do you want to hear Harry?"

Harry thought for a moment and then his face brightened up. "Can we read 'Life of Pi'?"

Severus nodded and wordlessly summoned up the requested book. He then opened it and began to read out of it.

An hour later Severus looked over the top of the book and saw a sleeping Harry. Smiling gently he dog-eared the page in the book and set it on the bedside table.

Gently he reached over and gently took the boy's glasses off and set them on top of the book. Then, he reached out again, and tenderly brushed back Harry hair from his forehead. Smiling he leaned over Harry and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Good night my love. Have wonderful dreams."

Silently he slipped inside Harry's mind made sure that the boy did indeed have pleasant dreams. The next moment he retreated and got up from his seat.

Walking to the door he Nox-ed the lights, but before he left he turned and looked at his boy once more. Sighing he whispered into the room. "No matter what Harry, I will always love you."

With that one last proclamation, Severus turned and quietly shut the door behind him.