Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The next day seemed to come and go in a haze according to Harry. Everything had rushed by in a blur, except that conversation with the twins that is. That conversation Harry would commit to memory for the rest of his life. He knew that people cared for him, but this instance had hit home for Harry. It had really made him see just how much people cared about him.
Just some questions
The next day seemed to come and go in a haze according to Harry. Everything had rushed by in a blur, except that conversation with the twins that is. That conversation Harry would commit to memory for the rest of his life. He knew that people cared for him, but this instance had hit home for Harry. It had really made him see just how much people cared about him.

Apparently, he had been quiet all day, well, quieter than normal. At lunchtime the twins had noticed, discreetly pulled him aside after lunch and walked him down to the dungeons so he could rest. The conversation that had followed had both frightened him and at the same time warmed his heart.

Casually Fred had asked him how he was doing, but when his answer was the simple 'fine' they pressed him further, and everything that had been on his mind come pouring out. He couldn't help it, everything was just too much for him to handle and he felt as he was going to burst at any moment. The adoption, staying with his cousins, his scar hurting, meeting two of his father's friends, and what if when he came back Severus would not want him anymore? What would he do then?

That last item had brought tears to the boy's eyes; not just from sadness, but from fear that he would have no where else to turn to if Severus rejected him. At the first sign of tears though, Harry had found himself encased in a three way hug and the twins were soothing away his hurt and fear with words that one would say to a little brother that you loved. He had only ever felt this safe when he was either with his daddy, or Don and it made the tears flow a little more freely.

As soon as Harry had calmed down the twins pulled back and George carefully explained that many people loved Harry and that Snape would never abandon him. They would both hex him before he ever did that, and likely the man would hex himself before he ever hurt Harry on purpose. They also made it very clear that Harry was always welcome at the Burrow no matter what.

When they reached Severus's and Harry's rooms Harry's chest was feeling a lot lighter and much better, but just to make sure their little brother was ok they waited until Severus came and took charge of Harry in person. Even though it was a very small breakdown, it was a breakdown never the less and they knew that it would be better to at least tell their Professor about it.

So when they had entered the living room with Severus sitting on the couch Fred took Harry to see his new room and George stayed behind with his teacher. Although George saw the raised eyebrows, he knew the man well enough to know it was not mocking, just asking what had brought them down here.

Slowly he told the man of what had transpired and was glad that all Severus did was nod in understanding. When he was finished Severus thanked the boy for both acting on their instincts and making sure Harry was ok on the walk down here. He then ushered the boy to Harry's room so that he could join his brother in the 'grand tour' of Harry's room.

While George entered the room to walk over to the glowing Harry Severus just leaned against the doorway and watched slightly amused at the sight before him. Harry was obviously enjoying himself.

Harry also remembered what happened after the twins had left, and he had spotted Severus on the door frame. He full well knew the twins had told Severus of everything that had transpired and was grateful that the only thing Severus did was step forward and embrace him in a hug. No words were needed, except for the few calming words Severus uttered into the top of his head. It felt so nice to just be held.

Just a few minutes into that embrace Harry let out an involuntary yawn and smiled slightly when Severus pulled him back from his chest and sent him to bed to get his rest. That is what he came down here for in the first place.

When he woke up the rest of the afternoon passed normally and the evening as well, except Harry could clearly hear the raised voices of both Pam and Severus arguing over handwriting of all things.

It had started with Harry asking Severus if he could help him with his handwriting after Pam left, he didn't want to take up too much of the Healer's time. She had a life after all. Pam had then asked Harry to go to his room for a moment and despite knowing better as soon as he had gotten there he listened in through the door. It really was too great a temptation and plus they had forgotten silencing spells so it was their own fault.

The first remark he heard was Pam's telling his daddy that he really needed to work on his own handwriting before he helped Harry with his. She had then offered to help the man with it, but as Harry had assumed would happen Severus had blown up. He had started yelling at her to mind her own business; his writing was perfectly fine and so on.

Retorts were thrown back and forth for a while, until Harry decided that his poor Healer had enough of his daddy's wrath. From previous confrontations, he knew when the man decided to argue with you there was no winning and really it was best to just give up.

So to interrupt them he walked into the room and over to his daddy. "Daddy, really it's ok. Pam gave me some worksheets to work on; I can do them on my own."

Severus seemed to deflate as Harry came over to him. Remembering the boy's words at the clinic stating that he did not like yelling he let the words he was about to utter slip from his mind. "Ok then Harry."

Although he did send a pointed glare over at the Healer who just smiled back at him. It seemed that she had won, for the moment at least. He would never live this down, for surely she was going to brag to Don about beating the most stubborn man in the world.

Pam had then left, and the two had dinner and then Severus read a story from that book to the boy as he drifted off to sleep.

Now back to this morning. Harry had woken up early; he couldn't sleep because of the nerves he felt prickling up the back of his neck. He knew it was silly, but even with all the reassurances yesterday he was still a bit scared that the social worker would take him away today. How could he not be scared after the last time?

Casting a quick tempus Harry sighed when he saw it was close to four thirty in the morning. Knowing that he was no going to be able to sleep anymore he got out of bed and padded his way to the living room. For the last few days, he had been wanting to check out some of the books on the bookshelf in there and thought maybe now would be the perfect time.

Stepping through his door he quietly made it over to the self and picked up the book he had been eyeing earlier, "A beginners guide to protecting your mind". He figured he might as well study up on something that was important. He had heard is daddy discuss with his Headmaster that he might need to learn how so he might as well get a head start.

Sitting back down on the couch Harry pulled up a blanket and pulled it around his legs wrapping himself in a cocoon. It was getting quiet chilly at night, and he didn't want to catch cold. As soon as he was all wrapped up he pulled open the book and began to read.

About a half hour later the book that Harry had placed in his lap fell slack as the boy slowly fell back asleep. When all resistance was gone on the book, it dropped backwards and made a soft crashing noise against the floor. Not stirring Harry in the slightest it woke Severus with a start.

The man opened his eyes as soon as he heard the crash and jumped out of bed immediately to investigate. He didn't want to find that it had been Harry falling out of bed or something like that. So he walked out to the living room, but what he saw made him raise his eyebrows.

Quietly so he did not wake Harry he walked around the couch and looked down at the small cocoon. He just had to smile at the sight, even he could admit that Harry was just adorable when he was sleeping. The fallen book then caught his eye, and he bent down to pick it up. When he did he looked at the title and rose a questioning eyebrow at the boy's choice in books. It looked as if Harry wanted to learn how to protect his mind himself.

Another smile flickered across his face as he set the book down on the coffee table. Who would have known that Potter's boy would be this studious, but then again he was Lily's child too, and everyone knew just how bookish she was!

Setting down the book Severus saw the way Harry was sleeping with his head propped up on an arm. Surely, the boy was not going to appreciate that position in the morning. So very carefully he repositioned the boy and scooped him up into his arms. Gently resting the boy's head on his shoulder he cast a silent weight altering spell. While Harry might still be underweight, he had gained lot in his care and he was by far not easy to carry.

Then with quiet steps Severus moved to Harry room so that he could put the sleeping boy to bed. When he got there he very gently rested Harry down on the soft pillows and cast a warming charm on the blankets so that he could remove his cocoon without making Harry chilly. Once done he pulled up the covers and watched as Harry rolled onto his side and seemed to snuggle down into the warm sheets.

Smiling Severus brushed the stray hairs out of Harry's face and bent down to place a gentle kiss on his forehead. Hearing a quiet content sigh come out of Harry's mouth Severus plucked the glasses off his face and set them on the bedside table. With that done he walked over to the door and gently closed it behind him. He knew he would need the few more hours of sleep to prepare for the day ahead of them.

The next time Harry woke it was to someone gently shaking his shoulder. Looking up with blurry eyes he made out the fine outlines of his daddy and smiled.

"Good morning daddy."

Severus reached out and grabbed the gasses he had placed on the side table earlier and handed them to the boy.

"Good morning Harry. How did you sleep?"

Harry blush and looked down. "How did I get back to bed sir?"

Severus smiled. "You fell asleep on the couch this morning, and I heard your book drop. I thought you would be more comfortable sleeping in here."

"Thank you daddy."

"It's no problem Harry."

The man watched as Harry sat up a bit more in bed and gave a small smile. When Harry seemed to stop moving Severus sat down on the edge of the bed.

"So as you know a social worker is going to be stopping by today."

Severus paused and saw Harry nod a bit.

"Well, the Headmaster thought it would be nice to give us both a three-day weekend and gave us at least the morning off. Don't worry about your schoolwork, Pam will be by later to catch you up."

Again, Harry gave a small nod and Severus smiled and patted his knee.

"Why don't you get dressed then and we'll have a bit of breakfast."

"Ok daddy, but do you know when they're coming?"

Severus got up and shook his head.

"No Harry, I don't know. You shouldn't worry about that though, let the adults do that. Ok?"

Harry gave a small nod and got out of bed slowly watching as his daddy crossed to the door. Before the man could leave though, he called out.

"Daddy?"

Severus turned around. "Yes child?"

Looking down Harry blushed. "My arm hurts a bit and it's all itchy."

The man's face softened a bit as he walked back over to his son. Gently he sat back down on the bed next to Harry and gave him a side long hug.

"Thank you for telling me Harry. Let me take a look and see whether we need to call Don or not."

Harry gave a small nod and let Severus roll up his pajama sleeve and then undo the bandage that was covering it. Gently Severus prodded the small area noticing that it was still a bit swollen, but it was nothing to be concerned about. Luckily Don had left some of the anti swelling cream by Harry bed as well as that numbing one.

So taking the lids off both of the creams Severus applied a little of each to the boy's arm and then wrapped the area back up so it would not become more irritated.

"There we go. How does it feel now?"

"Better, thank you."

"Good, now off you go to the shower!"

Harry let out a small giggle as Severus picked him up and placed his feet on the floor and then applied a small gentle love pat to his bottom to propel him to the bathroom.

"Hey!"

Severus looked at the boy who had turned his head to pout and raised an eyebrow.

"Yes?"

Harry just turned and snorted as he walked to the bathroom. Severus smiled a little and shook his head in amusement. Then standing Severus walked out of the boy's room and peeked to see whether Harry had made it to the bathroom. Hearing the shower turn on he nodded and went to prepare himself for the day.

Just a few minutes later Severus emerged from his room freshly dressed in a set of his teaching robes. He knew he didn't have to wear them, but they were comfortable, and he had kind of gotten use to them.

Pulling out a small book from a shelf Severus sat down and started to flip through the potion journal. Just a few minutes more a freshly washed boy emerged from the bathroom and padded over to the couch to sit next to Severus.

"Are you ready for something to eat?"

Harry gave a small nod and Severus closed hos book so that they could make their way to the kitchen. Gratefully it looked like the house elf had already been there and had left food that Severus knew the boy would enjoy. Granola and yogurt with a side of fresh fruit.

Severus looked back at the boy and had to hide a smile. Harry was looking at the table with obvious glee on his face and wide eyes.

"Come sit down Harry."

Harry was shaken out of his stupor by Severus's voice and walked over to the table blushing a bit. He must have looked like an idiot standing there staring at the table. Shaking that thought out of his head Harry sat down at the table and looked at the glorious food the house elves had brought.

The two then began to dig into their meal. Severus was still very determined to find out just how those elves knew exactly the right thing to put on the table at the right moment. It was truly amazing.

As the two were finishing eating their meal, they both heard the floo go off in the other room. Severus figuring that it was Albus bringing the social worker made no more to get up. It would not do if Harry stopped eating because he got up to inspect. The child needed every little bit of food he could.

Not a moment later the pair Severus had predicted entered the kitchen. Getting up, Severus made sure Harry was still eating and made his way over to the doorway where they were apparently waiting.

Severus noticed absently that the woman was quite pretty. She had a very pleasant, warm smile and a sparkle in her eyes that nearly captivated him. Her hair was just below her shoulders and was a sparkling blond that Severus knew he had never seen before. Even though Severus knew he could never have another love after Lily, he had to admit this woman held a cretin radiance that was unlike anything he had ever seen before and he admired her for it.

When he reached them he extended is hand to the social worker and introduced himself properly.

"Hello, I am Severus Snape. It's nice to meet you."

The woman in question nodded as she shook his hand. "It's nice to meet you as well Mr. Snape. I'm Madam Lark. Is that Harry over there?"

"Yes, Madam Lark. I hope you don't mind he is still eating. If he were to get up and leave his meal, he would forget going back to it entirely, and he has missed far too many meals in his life already."

The woman gave a small nod while she withdrew her hand and narrowed her eyes at the boy still eating as if she were studying him intently. "He seems quite skinny and is that a sling around his arm? How is his mind?"

Severus looked at the social worker and gave a soft sigh. "He has his ups and downs, but his Mind Healer Don Patterson says that he will heal just fine. At the moment his shields are down, and he is a bit emotional, but again Don assures me that is normal."

"What about his arm? What happened there?"

Severus turned to look at Albus and when he saw the slight nod Severus let out a small sigh. "A poisonous snake bit him and he had to have surgery to remove the poison. He is just wearing the sling to stop him from bumping it."

Nodding the social workers gaze drifted back to Severus. "We will speak more later. Can I go talk with him?"

Severus gave a little nod. "I look forward to it. Should we leave the room?"

"It would be best if I spoke in private with Harry."

Nodding again Severus let out a small sigh. "Let me just go tell Harry so he does not panic that I am not here."

Seeing the nod Severus went over to the child who was just pushing the bowl away from himself. Kneeling down next to Harry Severus pointed behind them at the woman who was smiling at them both and explained that this was the part where she would have to be alone with him. Severus made it perfectly clear though that if anything happened he did not like he could call him with the pendent around his neck.

Harry knew everything that Severus explained as he had heard the man reassure him before, but he could not help but still feel nervous. When he saw his daddy's searching look though he nodded bravely and said he would be ok.

With a sigh Severus patted him on the arm and watched as the house elves disappeared the remains of their meal with a snap.

"Do you promise to call me if you feel uncomfortable?"

"Yes, daddy. I'll be ok."

With one more searching look and comforting squeeze to Harry's shoulder Severus stood and walked back over to Albus. Albus gave him a small nod and the two left the room as the new social worker approached the small boy sitting at the table.

Reaching the table the woman smiled and pulled out a chair that was near Harry's and sat down so she was somewhat facing the boy.

"Hi there Harry. My name is Madam Lark. How are you doing this morning?"

"I'm fine." Harry looked down at his lap nervously and fiddled a bit with the napkin on the table.

The woman sensed Harry's nervousness so she decided to just jump right in. "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions Harry?"

Harry shook his head a bit so the social worker continued.

"How do you like staying with Professor Snape?"

Harry looked up with fear written all over his face. "Please don't make me leave here. I love my daddy. He saved me, he gave me my own room and he's strict, but...but I love him."

The woman gave Harry a small sad smile and placed a gentle hand on his knee. "I don't want to take you from here Harry, but I have to make sure you are safe and happy here before I leave. Can you tell me how many times you eat a day?"

"Breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea time, and sometimes he gives me snacks."

"Ok, what's your favorite snack?"

Harry eye's brightened up at bit as his nervousness and fear dwindled a bit by her distraction. "I love fruit! Especially oranges and melon."

Madam Lark smiled at the child in front of her. "I glad to hear that you like healthy snacks. You said that Professor Snape gave you your own room? Do you want to show me?"

Harry nodded enthusiastically and jumped off his chair. Walking to his room Harry beckoned the woman to follow him, and she did so with a small smile on her face.

When they reached Harry's room he went and sat down on the edge of his bed as he watched her look around. Self consciously Harry fiddled with the ends of his shirt.

"I know it's small and I don't have much, but I've never really had anywhere of my own before."

Madam Lark turned and looked at the boy searchingly. Seeing the renewed nervousness she walked over to him pulled up the chair from beside his bed right in front of him while sitting down. "It's lovely Harry. I'm just wondering who decorated? Did you get to pick out these colors?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "I don't really know who decorated. I was kind of out of it when daddy put me in here the first time. I think either he did or a house elf. I really like it though, and I wouldn't want to change a thing."

Smiling the woman patted Harry's knee gently. "Do you spend a lot of time in here?"

Again Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Kinda, I mean I study in here and this is where I have been sleeping."

Slowly the woman nodded obviously in thought. "Does Professor Snape ever send you in here when he's busy or does he ever seem too busy to spend time with you?"

Harry looked at the woman with raised eyebrows and shook his head. "No? I don't know what you mean."

Madam Lark frowned a little obviously trying to think of another way to rephrase her question. "Well, does Professor Snape ever tell you that he doesn't have any time to help you with your homework or he has too much to do?"

Again Harry shook his head. "No."

"That's good to hear. Does he ever help you with your homework?"

Harry nodded his head. "When I ask him for help he does, but mostly Pam helps me. It's kind of unfair for him to help me when he's the one to grade the essays."

"Who is Pam, Harry?"

Harry looked down at his lap again. "She is the Learning Healer. She comes by every day and helps me with my homework, reading, and handwriting." Harry looked up at the social worker. "She even gave me special grips so that it's easier to hold a quill!"

Smiling she patted the boy on the shoulder. "When did she start helping you with your work?"

"Daddy took me to the clinic last weekend to make sure I was healthy. They did a bunch of tests to see how I was doing in school, and then they decided that I would do better with some help."

Thoughtfully Madam Lark nodded. "Do you think she is helping you, or is she doing your work for you?"

Frowning Harry shook his head. "No, she slows me down when I read too fast and she makes worksheets that make it easier for me to write my essays. She really does help me!"

Patting Harry's shoulder she gave another nod. "Ok Harry, calm down. It was just a question. I bet she does help you and I am glad she does."

"Good, because she helps me more than you know."

The woman rose an eyebrow questionably. "Oh yeah, how is that?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Well, she makes me feel safe and when she helps me she doesn't make me feel dumb. She doesn't call me stupid, or anything when I don't know something like the teachers back in my elementary school did."

"Is that right. Well, I'm glad to hear that Pam doesn't call you names, but why did your other teachers call you that?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "They didn't like me very much. My Uncle convinced then that if I got anything right that I must have copied someone else's. I was supposed to be the dumb one."

Patting Harry on the shoulder Madam Lark nodded. "I'm sorry to hear that Harry, but you know that's not true. Right?"

"That's what daddy and Pam say and I'm trying to believe it, but it's hard when I feel so stupid when I don't know something."

"Look at me Harry."

Harry looked up at the woman who gave him a slightly stern look. "Look Harry, all my reports say that you are a very smart and bright young man. Please don't think yourself anything different because that is just not true."

Harry shrugged his shoulders making her sigh.

"Ok then Harry. Let's talk more about living here. Has Professor Snape ever punished you?"

Harry looked up at the woman and nodded and then looked back down at his lap and started fiddling with the end of his shirt again. "Yes."

"And what did Professor Snape do Harry?"

"I...I snuck out of my room late at night and put myself in danger by following a book into a chamber under the school. Daddy said the first day that he didn't want me to put myself in danger and that there would be consequences if I did."

When Harry made no further move to continue the social worker placed a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder. She didn't want to push the boy or embarrass him, but she had to know weather, or not Professor Snape had injured him in any way.

"What was the consequence?"

Harry cheeks became as red as his best friends hair. "He spanked me and I had to stand in the corner for a little while."

The social worker's eyebrows rose up into her hairline. "He did? How do you feel about that?"

Harry's bush stayed on his face as he looked down. This was not a subject he particularly like to discuss; it was embarrassing! "It stung and hurt a lot, but by the time I went to bed that night it was as if it never happened. He...he held me afterword as I cried. It felt so nice to be held like that and...and he said everything was forgiven and forgotten."

Madam Lark nodded and smiled. "It sounds as though he cares for you a great deal."

Harry smiled as he looked down. Unconsciously he pulled Shadow out from behind him and placed her on his lap.

Looking down at the new small creature the social worker rose an eyebrow. "Who is that Harry?"

Harry looked down at the toy in his lap. "This is Shadow. Daddy got her for me, she is my first present, well, besides Hedwig."

"She looks lovely and very soft. When did you get her?"

"Severus took me to get some clothing in Hogsmead and took me to the toy store. He said I could have three things, but I just wanted her."

"Why just her Harry?"

Harry hugged the small cat to his chest. "She was small, and I knew she didn't cost very much. He had already spent so much on my clothing that I didn't want him to spend any more on me, but I knew he wouldn't leave until I picked out something."

The social worker nodded her head sadly. "I have one more question for you Harry. Did Professor Snape ask you to call him daddy or was that something you started doing on your own?"

Harry looked up at her as his blush slowly faded away. "He never asked me. He's my daddy, so why should I call him anything else?"

With a smile on her face Madam Lark shook her head. "No Harry, you are perfectly right. What do you want to do now? Do you want to read a book for a little while I have to go talk to your daddy."

"I'll go write in my journal. Is that ok?"

Smiling the woman gave a small nod. "Yes Harry that sounds perfect."

With the ok Harry hopped down from his bed leaving Shadow behind and went over to his desk opening up the journal as soon as he sat down. Then picking up his quill he opened up the book to the right spot and began to write.

Seeing that the boy was now properly occupied Madam Lark went out in search of the Potions Professor.

Finding the man sitting in the living room next to the Headmaster she gave them both a small nod in greeting. Severus made a small gesture for her to sit down and she took the invitation gratefully.

Both looked at her expectantly, but before she could answer any of their unspoken questions Severus voiced one.

"How did it go?"

The woman had to smile at the worry that was laced in his voice. It was obvious that these two were meant to become family. If only she could sign the papers now and let them be she would, but she had to go through procedures. Harry would still have to meet his cousins and spend some time with them before he made any decisions or signed any papers. Sometimes she hated the system, but she knew it was still better than nothing.

"It seems Harry is very happy living here with you. I still can't do anything in regards to the paperwork until after Harry spends some time with his relatives, but I predict there will be no problem placing him here if that is what he desires. Before I do that though, I have to ask you a few standard questions."

Both Severus and Albus let out a small breath of relief. They had hoped, but were not sure, that they would not have to fight the social worker to agree that Severus was doing an acceptable job. It seemed that al least one of their fears had been resolved.

"First of all, how did Harry come to be in your care?"

So Severus folded his arms across his chest and told the woman all of how he had seen Harry injured and how he had healed him. All the while Madam Lark just nodded her head and listened. Inwardly though she was seething at Harry's Uncle and Aunt and was desperately wishing she could go hex their boots off! How could anyone hurt a child like that?

When Severus was finished with his story the woman closed her eyes for a moment as if to soak up all the information she had just heard. Opening them again she looked at the man across from her intently.

"You said that Harry took a trip to the clinic. Was that more to make sure he was well or did you want to follow up on something?"

Severus knew what the social worker was inferring, no doubt Harry had mentioned going to the clinic to test his learning abilities. Sighing Severus nodded.

"A little of both. We wanted to make sure Harry was healing from all his injuries, but we also wanted to see whether his learning was affected by his time with his relatives. As I am sure you know it was to a certain extent, but we are working on helping him with that."

The social worker nodded. "What about the summer? Where were you planning on staying over the summer? It says here that you have a few family manners, but have not been in residence in any of them for some time. Do you have a proper home for Harry to go back to?"

Severus first shot a glance at Albus, but when he saw the slight nod he nodded as well. "I have been staying with the Headmaster, he is like family, and I thought that Harry would enjoy his spacious manner as well. It is very well equipped with things that would keep him entertained and a large guardian outside that I know he would love."

Severus ignored the twinkling look Albus was sending his way at the mention of family. He was never going to live that comment down. Sighing he listened for the next question the social worker threw him.

"What about peers? Would he be able to see them when school is not in session?"

Again the potion master nodded. "Yes, anytime Harry wishes to see his friends he can floo call them to invite them over or he could go over to their homes. I have no problems with them; in fact, I encourage it."

"Ok, those were some of the easier questions. Now, I have to ask and I mean no offense. Do you just wish to adopt Harry so that you can have access to his money?"

Severus looked outraged at the social worker for asking such a question, but Albus put a calming hand on his shoulder to remind him that she was just doing her job.

"No, as soon as he becomes my son I am sealing all his accounts until he is of age. He is just a child and should not use his inheritance for things I can pay for. That should be used for something when he is older like a home or something of that sort."

The social worker just nodded and hid her smile. She was liking this man more and more. "Punishments, Harry said that you spanked him. Would that be a regular occurrence?"

Severus looked at the woman intently. "No, not at all. I only reserve that for when he placed himself in direct danger. Otherwise, he will spend time in the corner, writing lines or something of that nature."

The woman gave a little nod. "What about changing his name? Would you ask him to change his last name to yours?"

Severus shook his head. "I would not ask him of that. If he decides on his own he would like to change his name then I will be behind him all the way, but that is his decision and not something that I should ask of him."

"Ok that is all the questions I have for you. As you know I will be following up on Harry's case from now on. On Monday, I will be by to take Harry to his cousins. His Mind Healer and his Learning Healer can come visit when they want, but I have to ask you not to visit. He has to be able to adjust in his new environment on his own and see whether he likes it there without outside influences."

Severus hesitantly nodded. He didn't like it, but he understood. "I understand."

"Until then I hope you have a great weekend." She then got off her chair and went over to the floo to floo away.

As soon as she left Severus turned to Albus and put his head in his hands. Gently Albus placed a calming hand on the man's back and rubbed soothing circles.

"Everything will be fine Severus. This too soon shall pass, and then Harry will be your son. No one can take him from you then."

Severus rose his head and looked at Albus. "Do you really think she will help us?"

"It seems that way Severus. She also seems to have a little crush on you."

Severus blushed. "Surely you must be mistaken! Who could ever like a dungeon bat like me?"

"Now, now Severus don't sell yourself short. You are quite handsome. And I believe I saw you returning the same looks she was giving you."

Severus got up still bushing and stated to make his way towards Harry's room. "I think I'll go check on Harry."

As Severus made his exit Albus could not help, but let a smile grace his face and a twinkle enter his eyes. He really did hope that his boy was able to let someone else care about him. He knew that he had been holding on to Lily all this time, but his boy did deserve some happiness and maybe, just maybe, this woman would help him move on.

With that thought Albus got up from the couch and headed to Harry's room. When he reached the doorway, he stopped and just watched as Severus sat on the bed with Harry sitting next to him. It was wonderful to see Severus so relaxed.

Hating to interrupt, but knowing that it was better to inform them of their continued day off Albus spoke up. "Severus, Harry?"

Both looked up at the man and Harry scooted a little closer to Severus as Albus continued. "I think a full three-day weekend is in order. I will cover the rest of your classes this afternoon and gather all your assignments, Harry. Also, I might be by with a surprise guest later on."

Severus rose an eyebrow. "A guest? Does he have a furry little problem?"

Albus laughed outright at Severus's choice of words while he shook his head. "No it is not Remus. It's someone else and that is all I am saying, but I will have to tell Remus of that description."

With that Albus left the room still laughing and shaking his head. Severus grumbled good naturally and shook his head.

"Crazy old man."

Harry looked up at Severus. "That's not very nice daddy."

The man just smiled down at Harry. "I know Harry, but I can't hide the truth."

"Daddy!"

"Fine. He's not crazy, but he is old."

Harry looked up and shook his head. "That still is not very nice."

"I know, but true. Now, we were talking about next week."

Harry nodded and lowered his head. Truthfully, he was grateful for the little reprieve the Headmaster had given him. He didn't want to be taken to his cousins, and he really didn't want to talk about it.

Severus saw the boy's mood shift rapidly and sighed, but knew he had to continue. Reaching behind him he grabbed the book Albus had brought for Harry.

"This is for you Harry. I may not be allowed to come see you, but you can write to me anytime, and I will answer you."

Harry nodded and accepted the book. "So I just have to write in here and you'll be able to talk to me?"

"Yes Harry, I'll write back to you as soon as you write to me."

Harry gave a small nod and leaned into Severus's side. "I don't want to leave you."

Snaking his arm around Harry's shoulders Severus nodded. "I know Harry. I don't want you to leave either, but you will be back home soon. I promise you that."