Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much Lady Destiny for your amazing betaing skills! :)

For next few months, Harry and Severus fell into a comfortable routine. Every morning Severus would gently wake the boy from his sleep, and they would both get ready for the day. Then, they would head downstairs and Harry would help Severus prepare their breakfast and after taking their potions they would eat their fill. When they were finished Maya would pop in and start to clean up, per her and Severus's agreement. It was the only way she would let him cook. Otherwise, she would be looking over their shoulder at every movement.
Memories
For next few months, Harry and Severus fell into a comfortable routine. Every morning Severus would gently wake the boy from his sleep, and they would both get ready for the day. Then, they would head downstairs and Harry would help Severus prepare their breakfast and after taking their potions they would eat their fill. When they were finished Maya would pop in and start to clean up, per her and Severus's agreement. It was the only way she would let him cook. Otherwise, she would be looking over their shoulder at every movement.

After breakfast, the two read or played some games together until Pam arrived around ten. Then, Severus would leave to brew some potions for Hogwarts and Pamela and Harry would work on their studies for a few hours until lunch.

When lunch rolled around Pam would leave the two to their lunch that was prepared by Maya and when they were finished with lunch, they would then head out the greenhouses. Severus had set up Harry's plant corner full of flowers and magical plants so that he could care for them and watch them grow. He knew the boy would enjoy the activity and thought that it might teach a little responsibility along the way.

After a few hours taking care of all the plants, Don would come by and steal Harry for a bit so that they could talk about the Dursley's, the fake Diaz's, and how he was doing in general. The Healer and boy would then utilize some of the physical therapy toys to try to strengthen his muscles and gain his range of motion back to where it should be.

Dinner time would come soon after that, and Don would leave the two to a fantastic meal from Maya. They would then go upstairs and Severus would read to Harry from his story book until Harry became sleepy. When the boy's eyes started to close from a long day Severus would leave for a few moments for Harry to change and then come back to tuck him into bed.

After the first few nights of horrible nightmares, Severs had started to occlude Harry's mind again with Don's blessing. Neither of them wanted to see Harry suffer any more than he already had. Unfortunately, even with that precaution a few nightmares slipped by and made all of them weary with sleep the next day.

Harry after the first week had even started sleeping in his own bed for the entire night instead of waking up and crawling in with Severus for comfort. It really showing that he was becoming comfortable in his new home and for that Severus was glad. Not that he didn't enjoy being close to his boy, but he knew Harry had to learn to be on his own.

Those were the good days though, the bad ones were more difficult for the both of them and were far from infrequent.

On those days, Harry almost always ended up crying in Severus's arms and his kitten trying to comfort him from his lap. What sent Harry to have those breakdowns could be anything? A flashback from something that had happened at the Dursley's, a worry that he had done something wrong or even just pure tiredness.

Those were the days Severus dreaded. He hated seeing his child like that. He always looked so small, and vulnerable, and it broke his heart every time.

To come back to the present, Severus was hoping with all his might that today would be a good day for Harry. It was October, 31st and the man had a feeling that no matter how much he hoped for a good day that it was just not to be.

Harry woke up slowly this morning and with many encouragements from Severus. Already, a sign that today was not to be good. And when he did get up, much to Severus's dismay, it seemed that Harry was already in a mood.

Sadness echoed through his eyes, and he seemed to be just dragging his body to accomplish things. Concerned his kitten followed him everywhere he went that morning including the bathroom when he had to take care of necessities. Obviously, it was only a matter of time before Harry broke down and the kitten knew the boy would try to hide.

Even through Severus and the kitten could not talk to one another; they had worked out a sort of agreement on these days. Where Severus could not be, the kitten would follow the child and alert him if something were amiss.

After showering and dressing, Harry went back to his room and sat heavily on the bed making it bounce a few times. His kitten soon followed him and jumped up onto his lap and butted her head against his hand prompting him to stroke her soft fur.

Moments later Severus knocked on the door frame to gain the boy's attention. Normally, Harry would come down to help him with breakfast after he was dressed so Severus had come back up to see if Harry was alright.

Harry looked up at Severus and let out a small smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Hi daddy."

Severus came further in the room and sat down next to the boy on the bed. "Are you feeling ok child? You look a little pale."

Harry nodded, but looked back down at the kitten who was purring calmingly. Severus sighed and gently reached forward and placed a hand on the boy's forehead. A few seconds later he removed it with a small smile.

"Well, you don't have a fever. Is there something on your mind?"

Harry continued to look down at his kitten, but then lifted her out of her lap and launched himself at the pillows at the top of the bed hugging them fiercely to his chest and a deep sob came out making his back heave.

Immediately, Severus moved closer to the top of the bed and gently rested a hand on Harry's back. "Hey now, everything's ok."

Harry shook his head against his pillow while more sobs racked his body. Gently Severus rubbed Harry's back for a few moments, but then stopped and scooped Harry up into his arms. As soon as he did Harry buried his face in Severus's robes and clutched on as tight as he could.

Holding Harry close to his chest Severus got up and moved to the rocking chair that Don had gotten him after mentioning that it would be nice to have one when he was trying to comfort Harry. Gently Severus sat down and started to rock back and forth.

For a while the two sat there like that, until Harry's crying calmed down a bit and he started hiccuping.

Tenderly Severus started to rub his back again. "Do you want to tell me what is wrong?"

Quietly Harry started to mumble, but it was just loud enough for Severus to hear. "Todays the day...that..that..."

Understanding filled through Severus as he realized what day it actually was. Gently he pulled Harry a little closer and rocked back and forth in the chair.

"Shhhh I know Harry, I know. It's alright to be upset, you can cry all you want."

And Harry did, he cried some of the most heart wrenching sobs Severus had ever heard into his shoulder. It broke Severus's heart to hear Harry cry for his lost parents. Eleven years ago today was the day Harry had become an orphan.

Eventually, when Severus was worried Harry was going to make himself sick he summoned a calming potion and gently fed it to the boy. With Harry's grip loosened somewhat and the boy's face now facing the room instead of his Daddy's robes Severus placed a gentle hand on the boy's cheek.

"Feel better now?"

Harry gave a small nod. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize for being sad Harry. You lost two people who you loved and before you really got a chance to know them. I would be surprised and concerned if you never did feel sad."

Harry nodded and took a deep breath. "Can...can...we go see their...graves?"

Severus nodded as he shifted Harry up a bit so that they were both a bit more comfortable. "Yes, whenever you want and that's from now on too. Whenever you would like to visit them just let me know."

The boy turned to bury his face in Severus's soft robes. "Can...can we go tonight?"

"Yes, we can. Would you like to visit their home as well?"

Severus figured if they were going to do this, they might as well get all of it out of the way. He didn't particularly want to visit his best friends grave and home, but he knew that was what his boy needed at the moment. He remembered how much visiting Lily's grave after she had died had helped him and he hoped that it would bring some sort of closure for the boy.

For a moment he thought that it would be a good idea to invite Albus or Don to come along with them, but then he looked down at the boy and realized that it would be better if he did this alone with his son. The child didn't need to be crowded, he just needed a set a warm arms that he could cling to if he needed them and Severus predicted that was just what Harry was going to need.

One last time Harry nodded into Severus's shoulder. Gently the man brought a hand up and rested it lightly on the back of Harry's head gently stroking his hair. Sighing contently Harry finally relaxed under his daddy's touch now that he was both worn out and relieved that he had a big weight lifted off of his chest.

He always felt like that after a big cry. While he was so upset he felt so weak, an almost teenager who was crying like a baby. But afterward, when his Daddy was still rubbing soothing circles into his back and gently running his fingers through his hair he felt relieved. Relieved that everything that had been bothering him was off his chest and that his Daddy still loved him.

The two sat like that for a long time, until Maya popped in quietly and pointed to the table in Harry's playroom. As with everyone else in the household she had learned Harry's moods and just how to act around them.

Understanding that she had left some breakfast for them Severus nodded in thanks. He really did love that elf at times like these.

Gently he pulled Harry back from his robes and conjured up a warm washcloth so he could clean his face. "Are you hungry Harry?

The boy gave a small nod and let the man clean off his face. He knew he was too old for this kind of treatment, but he didn't want Severus to stop either. He had been so deprived of this kindness when he was growing up that he figured that he was making up for lost times.

When Severus was finished cleaning Harry up he banished the washcloth and carefully helped Harry onto his feet. Smiling Severus stood up as well and placed a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder who flinched.

Closing his eyes for a moment Severus sighed. He knew it was of no fault to Harry, but it was truly sad how much he had regressed in his healing just because of one night. The boy had gotten a lot better over the past few months, but still those flinches still came more frequently than Severus preferred.

Opening his eyes he smiled at the boy and gently led him to the other room so that he could get something in his stomach.

Walking through the door Harry's eyes widened in surprise when he saw the full spread laid out for them and Severus just rolled his eyes. That elf really did dote on them, but he did have to admit that it was mostly thanks to her that Harry had gained a little more than a stone and was just about a healthy weight for his age. Remarkably they had even managed to wean Harry off the nutrition potion he had been taking to make up for what he had missed.

Patting Harry on the shoulder Severus gently pushed him forward to the table. "Go on and take a seat Harry."

Harry did as he was bid and took a seat at the table. Severus sat down across from him and began to serve Harry's plate for him as he had not started to serve himself. He piled on copious amount of food to the plate that he knew the boy would not finish, but he also knew it would at least encourage the boy to finish it all.

"As always, eat as much as you can Harry."

The boy nodded and picked up his fork to begin to eat almost wolfing down the glorious breakfast Maya had made them. Smiling Severus picked his own fork up and began eating his own meal.

When they were both finished the dishes popped away and Severus rolled his eyes. "I swear that house elf lives to spoil us."

Harry let out a smile, the first one all morning. He was starting to feel a little better since he had cried his heart out, but still his heart was hurting for what he had lost on this day so many years ago.

Severus reached over and patted Harry on the hand to break him out of his faraway thoughts. "Harry?"

The boy shook his head to clear his thoughts and looked at his Daddy in front of him.

Smiling Severus again patted him on the hand, but this time more to comfort him than anything. "Do you want to head out now or do you want to go later Harry? I believe Don and Pamela were giving you the day off anyway because it's Halloween."

Harry looked at Severus, then looked down at his kitten who was giving him a stern look as she sat down by his feet.

"You could have given me a warning you were going to throw me. Before you protest, I am coming with you."

The boy blushed. "Sorry Arwen, I didn't mean to throw you."

"Silly Human." The cat jumped up into his lap and started to purr to show that she forgave him.

Smiling Harry looked down at the small fluff ball, but then he looked up at his daddy. "Can we go now? Arwen says that she won't let me leave without her."

Severus rose an eyebrow and looked at the kitten. "Did she now?"

The kitten looked up at Severus with a scolding look and Severus swore that nothing so sever should ever come out of anything so cute.

"Well then, I guess she will have to come with us then. Why don't you go get ready and meet me downstairs in about a half hour?"

Harry gave a small nod and let the kitten jump out of his lap. He then got off the chair himself and went back to his bedroom to get ready to go out since he had just dressed for a day indoors. Severus followed the boy into his room, but then left to go into the hallway gently closing the door behind him so that Harry could have some privacy.

Twenty minutes later Harry walked down the stairs shyly with his kitten behind him. Spotting him Severus smiled at the boy and came over to the bottom of the stairs.

Bending down slightly Severus placed a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder. "I just flooed Albus. I wanted to inform him of where we were going. He asked if we could leave some flowers for him. Is that ok Harry?"

Harry gave a small nod.

"Alright then. Are you ready to go?"

Again Harry nodded, but he drew something forward that Severus had not seen before. It was a stuffed animal of a male deer that Severus had gotten him a few weeks ago.

"Would you like to leave that for them as well?"

Looking down Harry nodded. "Is...is that alright?"

Smiling Severus gave Harry's shoulder a gentle squeeze. "It is more than ok Harry. We'll stop by the flower store too and pick up some lilies and roses to leave as well."

"Thank you Daddy."

Straitening Severus shook his head. "No need to thank me Harry. Why don't you go put your jacket on and I'll be right there."

With one last squeeze of the shoulder, Severus removed his hand, and smiled as the boy went off to do as he had said. When he saw Harry stat to pull on his shoes and jacket, he went back upstairs to grab something that he long thought he could not part with. He now knew that this was the right time to part with it.

Grabbing the artifact and putting it securely in his pocket Severus went back downstairs and met Harry by the door. Quickly he put on his own jacket and shoes and joined Harry by the door.

Holding the stuffed toy to his chest Harry looked up at Severus who smiled at him gently. "Let's go. Is there anywhere else you would like to go while we're out?"

Harry shook his head. On Harry's good days they sometimes took trips to the local park or library in the late afternoon, but other than that they had rarely ventured out. Harry had become uncomfortable around strangers in close quarters.

It would take Harry even more time to get over his new fear and Severus could only curse those damn death eaters.

With a nod Severus placed a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder and opened the front door. Carefully Severus led Harry outside and closed the door behind them. They then set off down the street to where Harry had once lived.

They had not ventured this way yet as Severus's hadn't thought that Harry was ready to see where his parents had lived, but Harry had asked to visit today, and he would uphold his promise of taking him there.

When they reached the falling down house Severus gave Harry's shoulder a gentle squeeze. "This was their home Harry."

Still starring at the house Harry walked forward a little more with his kitten and Severus following close behind. It was almost as if he was in a trace starring at the run down home.

Worriedly Severus reached out again and placed a gentle hand on Harry's back. "Are you alright Harry?"

Still in a trace Harry just continued to walk to the door.

"Harry?"

Severus's slightly risen voice startled Harry and he looked back at the man.

"Harry, are you alright?"

The boy gave a small nod. "Yeah, I'm alright. Can...can we go inside?"

The man was tempted to say no, that it was too dangers, but he knew that this was going to bring some closure to his child.

"Yes, we can Harry. But, there are a few rules. You have to stay by me at all times; it's been out of use for some time. Also, you have to watch where you step and be very carful where you put your feet."

Harry nodded. He was ok with that, the building was a little scary and he would prefer to be by his Daddy anyway.

Seeing the nod Severus nodded as well and started to guide the boy forward so that they could get this over with. He remembered very well the last time he was here and ever since he had avoided this place like the plague.

When they reached the door Severus noticed the kitten still trailing behind them and bent down to pick her up. He then handed her to Harry who accepted her in his arms, but then she climbed up to sit on his shoulders.

"We don't want her to fall through any loose boards or get lost, it's better if she's off the ground."

Reaching up Harry scratched Arwen's ears and nodded. "Are you alright up there Arwen?"

In reply the kitten let out a small mew and purred like mad while butting her head against his neck.

Smiling at the kitten antics Harry again reached up to scratch her ears. "I'll take that as a yes."

Again, Severus was very glad that Albus had gotten Harry that kitten. She was so good for Harry, and it spoke volumes that she could make him smile even when they were about to go inside of Harry's parent's home.

With that thought Severus opened the door with the key he had gotten from Albus who had foreseen that Harry might want to go inside.

It took a few kicks for the door to open because of it swelling into the door frame, but eventually the door opened and gently Severus led Harry inside.

Looking around Severus saw that the only thing that had changed from that faithful night had been age. The couches were still astray in the living room, and the kitchen looked as though a hurricane had come threw. There were still even baby bottles strewn on the floor.

Walking to the kitchen Harry bent down and picked up the bottle holding it in one hand. "This was mine."

Taking a breath Severus gave a small nod. "It was. Would you like to take it home?"

He knew other people might find it strange for them to take something out of the home that had once belonged to him. Especially something as insignificant as a baby bottle. But Severus understood.

It was a part of Harry's past that he didn't remember, and he desperately wanted to. Since he couldn't though he might want to take something back to remind him that his childhood hadn't always been riddled with bruises and broken bones. It was kind of like how parents held onto certain things their children had once owned.

Harry gave a small nod so Severus held out his hand to take it. Hesitantly Harry handed it over, but as soon as Severus took it he just shrank it and then handed it back to the boy.

"Stick it in your pocket. It's easier to carry it that way."

Harry gave a small smile and nodded. He was glad that his Daddy was so understanding. He knew most people would have made him leave it behind or made fun of him.

Moving on the two went to the sitting room and saw much of the same. Upturned chairs and couches, shredded drapes, and other signs that something significant had happened.

Something caught Harry's eyes though, and with Severus closely behind him he walked over to an upturned table covered in dust. Through all the dust, there was a glint of something silver and very carefully Harry picked it up.

It was an old picture frame. And in the picture frame there was a magical picture of him and his parents. He looked as if he was taking his first steps into his mom's arms and behind her was a kind, smiling man who had mousy brown hair, deep brown eyes and scars all down his face.

Harry was memorized by the photo; he had not expected to find something so precious. Closing his eyes he brought the thing to his chest and let out a calming breath. He had promised himself he would not cry again today.

Severus sensed the boy's mood though, honestly the boy kept everything written all over his face, and gently gave the boy's shoulder a squeeze. "What do you have there?"

Harry looked up at the man and showed him the picture.

Smiling Severus nodded. "Your mother told me of that day. She was so proud of you taking your first steps. If you want me to shrink it just hand it to me and I will."

Harry looked back down at the photo of him stumbling and eventually getting his footing. "Do..do you know who that is behind my mum?"

Severus looked down and gave a slight grimace, but then schooled his face. He didn't want the boy to think badly of the werewolf just because he had a bad experience with the furrier part of the man. The man had after all been trying hard these last few months to be friendly towards him.

"That is Remus Lupin. He was a good friend of your parents, and the person Albus and I told you that might come visit with your godfather."

"That's him?"

"That is Harry."

"I...I kinda remember him...I mean not really...but his laugh...he was always laughing."

Sadly Severus smiled he was sure the last time the wolf had laughed in these many years had been with the boy. Life had been hard on him since Lily and Potter had died. He may not like the man completely, but he wasn't going to pretend he had it easy when he knew it was far from it.

"Would you like to meet him?"

Harry looked up at his Daddy and thought for a moment. The Headmaster and his Daddy had asked him several times these last few months if he was ready to meet them, but so far he had shaken his head violently not wanting to be near anyone new. Now though, that he had seen one of the men and had remembered, however faint that warm laugh he kind of wanted to. At the very least to see whether it was indeed the man he remembered.

"Not now...but...but maybe in a while."

Severus nodded knowing that this somewhat of a break threw. Coming around he wrapped his arm around the boy's shoulders. "I am so proud of you Harry."

Confused Harry looked up at the man. Why was he proud of him? What did he do?

Smiling Severus bent down and kissed Harry on the head. "For just being you Harry. I'm proud of you for being you."

Deciding to shrug off his Daddy statement Harry nodded. He knew that sometimes he would never understand where is Daddy was coming from. He then handed the photo to the man and watched as he shrank it.

Sticking it in his pocket Harry grabbed Severus's hand and the two started to venture up the stairs very carefully. There were a few broken boards going up and Severus wanted to make sure Harry didn't fall.

When they reached the top, they wandered down the hall and into the first bedroom to the right. It looked like a guest room and was fairly untouched by events; it was just covered by ten years of dust.

Seeing that there was nothing there worthy of exploring in the guest room Harry walked back out into the hall and pushed on the next door down the hall. The door creaked open on rusty hinges and stopped as it hit the wall.

Inside was a large bed in the middle of the room that was flipped over with the sheets strewed on the floor. What appeared to be the bedside table was thrown across the room and all the draws were open. Everything else in the room seemed untouched as if it was frozen in time.

Severus took a deep breath as he followed Harry in the room. He knew just who's room this was, and it hurt his heart to be in here again. He remembered the last time he was in here. It was 'that night' after everything had happened.

Feeling the small locket still tucked safely in his pocket Severus closed his eyes. He had taken that locket from this very room that night. Cupping the locket gently Severus took another deep breath. He could do this. He could do this for Harry.

While Severus had been deep in his thoughts Harry had ventured forward and was looking at the dusty contents of the bedside table. Turning back around Harry looked at his Daddy.

"This was my parent's room, wasn't it?"

Severus gave a soft nod. "It was."

Harry looked back down at the bed side table and kneeled down to look more closely at the contents and brushed back a bit of the dust making him cough slightly. It was worth it though when Harry saw just what was beneath ten years of dust.

It was a stuffed bear that had a tag around it's neck that said, "to my dear Harry".

Picking it up carefully Harry didn't hear Severus come up behind him.

"What did you find Harry?"

Looking over his shoulder at his Daddy Harry just held it up a bit more so that he could see. Words were caught in his throat at the moment. He had not expected to find anything here when he had told Severus that he would like to see the house. Heck he hadn't even thought they were going to be able to come inside.

"I remember that bear. The few times I saw you when you were young that bear was attached to you like an appendage."

Harry looked back down at the bear and nodded slowly. "Can...can..."

Severus placed a hand on Harry's shoulder and the gently kitten butted her head against him.

"Yes Harry, you can take him home."

Harry stood up with a hand from Severus. Carefully he handed the stuffed deer to him so that he could carry his new/old bear with him. With a smile Severus shrunk the deer and put it in his pocket next to the locket.

"I'll keep it safe for you Harry."

Harry gave a small nod and then started to walk out the door. Apparently being in this room was a bit much for him just as it was for Severus, but for very different reasons.

Coming back into the hallway Harry peaked into another room, but when he saw it was just a bathroom he backed out and went to the last door down the hall.

As Harry entered Severus closed his eyes for a moment. He knew this room well, this was where everything had happened. This is where he had found her; this is where Lily had died.

Just how he remembered the room Severus saw the tipped over crib and the hole in the ceiling where the curse had rebounded.

As if in a trace Harry went over and sat down next to the crib bringing up the blankets that were still there. Hugging them to his body he ignored the dust that he was now covered in.

"Mummy"

Shaking himself out of his own trance Severus came over and knelt down before Harry.

"Child, come here."

Gently Severus drew Harry into his arms and hugged him to his chest. Taking a deep breath Severus prepaid himself to comfort the boy even though his own heart was hurting for what he had lost that night.

"This...this is where...the green light...Mummy.."

Severus closed his eyes and held back his tears. He could not lose it in front of Harry, he had to be strong for his child who apparently remembered that awful night. Knowing that he couldn't ponder just how Harry remembered at this moment Severus hugged Harry closer to his chest.

"I know Harry, I know."

Burring his head in Severus's robes Harry took in a deep breath and let the tears flow. Wrapping herself securely around Harry's neck the small kitten purred gently to try to do what she could to comfort the boy. Severus just held on tightly to the child and hoped beyond hope that after this day that maybe Harry would have some sort of closure. He knew it was a lot to ask for, but he just wanted his boy to heal and live a happy life.

Gently Severus sat down and drew the boy so that he was sitting on his lap and no longer had the dirty sheets in his hands.

The two sat on the floor of the abandoned building for quite some time, until Harry calmed down to just hiccups. Severus didn't want to rush his child with his grief, he knew that Harry would only be able to get up when he was ready to and no sooner.

When he was ready, Harry pulled back from Severus's chest and gave him a teary smile.

"I'm ok Daddy."

Severus smiled back down at Harry and reached down to brush the hair from his face. "I know you are Harry and know that I love you very much."

"I love you too Daddy...and...and thank you."

Reaching over to scratch the kitten's ear Severus's face softened a bit more. "You don't have to thank me for loving you Harry. I will love you no matter what."

"No, thank you for saving me. You saved me. That night...and from the Dusley's."

Moving his hand from scratching the kitten's ear to rest on Harry cheek Severus looked at the boy intently.

"You remember me that night?"

Harry closed his eyes soaking in the comfort Severus was offering while he gave a tiny nod.

"You came...and held mum...for a long time...then...then you came over and picked me up. Dumbledore came and you handed me to him...but you kept me safe till he came."

Looking down at Harry Severus nodded. He promised himself that he would not cry, but a lone tear fell down the man's face. "I did."

"Are you sad Daddy?"

Severus wiped away the tear that had betrayed his emotions. "That there was a need to protect you, yes."

Harry reached forward and hugged his Daddy. "I'm ok though, please don't be sad."

Returning the hug Severus looked down at his miraculous son. He could be grieving one moment and the next as soon as he had shown the slightest hint that he was sad the child was trying to comfort him.

Pulling back slightly Severus smiled down at the child. "Harry, I'm alright. Why don't we get up and go home though? I am sure Maya has some lunch ready for us."

Harry shook his head. "Can...can we see their...graves before we go home? Please?"

Severus gave a small nod and thought up a compromise so that Harry would have something to eat. The boy had been doing so good with food lately, but still he didn't want him to miss a meal.

"Why don't I call Maya and ask her to pack some sandwiches for us. We can eat in the park and then head down there."

Harry nodded his head. "Ok."

"Maya!"

The bubbly house elf appeared before them jumping up and down. "Yous want Maya to clean this house? Oh, thank you Master Severus!"

Severus smiling shook his head, but then looked down at Harry. Maybe they would fix up this house for Harry to have if he wanted it. It was in his name after all.

"Not now Maya, but could you fix us a picnic? We were going to take our lunch in the park."

The elf comically put her hand to her forehead and made a solute. "Yes Sir!"

As she popped away Severus shook his head in amusement, but when he looked down at the boy and saw a smile he smiled too. Even with puffy eyes and a tear stained face Harry still had most winning smile he had ever seen.

Reluctantly Severus made a move to stand and helped Harry up as well. When they were standing Severus bent down and started to brush away the dust that was now covering himself and then looked over at Harry.

Seeing the still puffy eyes Severus pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to Harry. "Here you are Harry."

Nodding Harry took the handkerchief and wiped away all the tears that had fallen. He then handed back the piece of material to his Daddy and wiped away the dust from his clothing.

As he was wiping his clothing somewhat clean, the elf popped back in with a basket in hand. "I has your lunch! Remember to take the potions in there too and if you don't I will know!"

The elf waged her finger at the Potion Master and then looked over at the boy with a big smile.

"Now, you eats a good meal too, understand? Maya still has to put more weight on you!"

Harry nodded dutifully at the elf.

"Good. Now, I'll be seeing you twos at dinner tonight."

With, that the elf popped away and Harry looked over at a still amused Severus and grabbed his hand.

"Can we go now?"

Severus smiled. "Yes, let's go have some lunch."

Back in the Headmaster's office things were not going as smoothly as Albus had hoped they would. While Severus and Harry met, their daemon's head on Albus met his in a different fashion. All the mistakes he had made in the past were coming back to haunt him.

Sirius had been released from Azkaban, but it seemed that was the only good thing that came out of these last few months for the man.

Seeing Remus had been great for the newly freed man, but it seemed that the dementors had done serous damage to him. So much so that Don had asked a friend of him to watch him for suicide so that Remus didn't have all the responsibility on his shoulders. It also gave not only Sirius someone to talk to, but Remus as well. It took a toll on the werewolf to see his friend in such shape.

Slowly, but steadily Sirius had gotten better over the last few months, but Albus knew that it would be a few months still before he was well enough to see Harry.

On the subject of Harry, Sirius had perked up wanting to know what had happened to his godson, but when he had heard that he was staying with Severus and that the man had adopted him he didn't take it well. At all.

Not only did Remus, Albus, and the Don's friend have to restrain him from 'rescuing Harry from the greasy git', but they also had to sedate him.

When he awoke everyone there tried to reassure the man that Harry was being well-taken care of and that he was actually happy with Severus, but it seemed to no avail. All the work and progress of the past month seemed lost as Sirius wasn't talking to anyone and had fallen into a deep depression.

With time Sirius slowly got over his latest blow, but had not revised his view of Severus and was at the moment sitting in front of Albus's desk, ranting.

"Sirius, Harry is happy living with Severus."

Sirius got up and walked the length of the room with his hands behind his back. "But how could he be happy with him!"

Remus with a sigh got out of his seat and went to place a calming hand on his friend's shoulder. "Sirius please, we've been over this. Harry loves Severus like a father and Severus loves him like a son."

"How? How could that git love anyone? I mean he is a slimy slytherin, they can't love anything except for themselves!"

With sad eyes Remus shook his head. "You need to let go of you prejudice. I have talked with Severus a few times and when the subject of Harry comes around is face softens, and you can see the love he has for the child written all over him."

"I'm his godfather and he belongs with me!"

With a pleading look at Albus, Remus set to explain yet again that Harry belonged with Severus and nothing he could do would change that.

"I don't bloody care if he is Harry's adoptive father! He shouldn't have been allowed to adopt him in the first place. What sort of shotty social worker approved this? I want to file a complaint!"

Albus stood up and walked over to Sirius to aid Remus. "Sirius, you will do no such thing. Those two belong together and until you see that you will not be allowed near Harry."

"Why? Because I have his best interest at heart? You call yourself a headmaster! How could you put a child in harm?"

That blow hurt more than anyone in the room could know, but Albus kept a straight face. "Sirius, he is in no harm. In fact, he is probably in the safest place he can be."

Albus then had a brain storm. He knew that arguing with the man was not going to get them anywhere as past conversations had shown, but maybe if he showed him just how close the two had become.

"Sirius, what if I showed you Harry? Would that calm your fears?"

Sirius nodded his head. "Yes, please let me see him!"

Albus nodded and walked over back behind his desk. Carefully he pulled forward the pensive and set it to where all three of them could stand around it. He then held his wand to his head and extracted the latest memory he had of Harry and Severus interacting. Putting into the pensive Albus beckoned both men forward.

Before, he let them jump in and look though he made sure that both men understood that Harry had terrible night terrors and even when his mind was cleared sometimes memories still got through the shields. Nothing was completely full proof after all.

Albus and Severus were sitting downstairs enjoying some evening tea discussing class plans when they both heard a scream come from upstairs.

Both men knew that it was Harry, and they both knew that it was a nightmare. It was one of those things that you don't wish to become accustomed to, but you do.

Placing down his cup hastily Severus ran up the stairs and went to comfort his boy. It was obvious by the way he was moving that he didn't care if anyone was watching or following for that matter as Albus was.

He couldn't help it. Even though Albus knew Severus had everything under control he had to see for himself that they were both alright.

When Severus burst into the room though Albus stayed at the door frame content at just watching the two to make sure they were ok. He didn't want to interfere with what he knew was going to be a loving father comforting his son.

Almost as if on cue, Severus rushed forward and scooped his child into his arms, covers and all. He then very gently woke the boy with gentle fingers running through his hair and soft words.

When the boy woke, he took one look at Severus and then buried his head in his robes and started to soak them through. Veery gently Severus hiked the boy up on his lap and held him tight to his chest while rubbing his back soothingly.

Satisfied that they were both alright Albus gave a nod to the man holding the boy and started to head downstairs to wait for Severus. He knew that in an hour or so Harry would be back under the warm covers and Severus would need someone to talk with. These nightmares didn't just take a tool on Harry.

As the memory ended all three pulled their heads from the spinning liquid. Stunned by the care that Severus showed James's son Sirius stumbled backwards to find the chair that Albus had conveniently placed behind him.

Sitting down Sirius placed his head in his hands and took a deep heaving breath. With a sad smile Remus came over and placed a gentle hand on his back.

"See Sirius, they love each other. It would do much more harm to Harry to separate them then to leave them be."

"I...I...I am such an ass. Harry...he looks so small. Is he alright?"

Sirius looked up to find Albus's eyes dull and free of the sparkle that was usually there. "There is a reason he was taken from the Dusley's and I will leave it at that. Severus has taken care of all his needs though, and is almost back to perfect health.

Sirius looked down and nodded. "I...I need to go home."

Remus wrapped an arm around Sirius and helped him up. He was used to these mood swings by now and had expected something to this extent when they had entered the memory.

The poor man's emotions were on edge and were at the extremes. Before Azkaban, his emotions were hectic, but now they were almost unbearable. Especially for the man experiencing them, it was like a consent roller coster he couldn't get off.

"Come on Sirius when we get home I'll fix you up some tea, and then we'll talk some more."

Sirius nodded and let his friend lead him to the floo.

When the flames turned back to orange Albus took the papers he was working on before their surprise visit back out of his desk and looked at them with a heavy sigh.

These were the papers that went along with his horcrux hunting. Admittedly, he had actually done well on this front this last month. So far they had the diary, the ring, and the locket. Three out of six were gone.

But, the was not to say that they were easy to acquire and kill. Not by a long shot. Albus had almost met his end several times already. One reason he had refused to let anyone help him.

The gaunt ring had been the only one that had been fairly easy to find. He had found it in the Gaunt shack and had tried many different ways to destroy it. Finally he destroyed it with the sword of Gryffindor. He was so thankful that had worked, otherwise he didn't know what else he would have done. The pull to put it on was so strong it was almost unbearable and he feared if it had been in his possession any longer he would have.

As for the locket. It had been pure luck finding that wretched thing. Apparently, the black family house elf had been tasked with destroying the locket by his late master, but had been unsuccessful all these years. Just by chance Albus had heard the creature conversing with himself about it. With much convincing the wizard had managed to talk the elf into handing the awful thing over to him so that he could destroy it. When he did receive it he immediately destroyed it in one swift blow of the sword.

With those items in his thoughts, Albus picked his quill back up and started to write where he thought the next one might be. Helga Hufflepuff's Cup.