Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Consequences

 The next morning, Harry was sitting up in bed eating a light breakfast when Dumbledore walked in.

"Are you feeling more yourself, Harry?" Dumbledore looked over the top of his half moon glasses at Harry. He had a way of looking into you rather than at you. There was little you could hide from Professor Dumbledore.

Harry was feeling much better. He had a much smaller bandage on his wand arm and the bandage on his abdomen was gone, though it was still tender there. His leg was still immobilized with a spell, but the bandages were gone. The spell kept his leg so stiff that he couldn't bend it, it felt like he didn't even have a knee or ankle. He could move it from the hip, but nothing from the hip down would bend.

All in all, he was in much better shape than he'd been in the day before. However, he wasn't sure how long he'd be feeling better. Had he really called Snape "Papa Severus?" Has anyone ever done something like that and lived to tell about it?

Harry groaned, his face crimson. And was it really true? Snape was his father? Professor "Slytherin to the core, I hate all things Gryffindor in general and Harry Potter in particular" was his father? Someday he ought to write a book about his life. Trouble is, no one would believe it.

Dumbledore, in his flashy yellow robes, was smiling down at him, letting him know he wasn't in trouble. "Do not worry yourself, Harry. Professor Snape is a Potions Master, after all. He's well aware of the affects potions, spells, and medications together can have on a young man such as yourself. He will not condemn you for your faux pas."

Somehow that didn't help Harry feel much better. Dumbledore may be brilliant, and all, but he sure had a blind spot where it came to Snape. Snape may be a Potions Master, but he was still Snape. And in Harry's experience, Snapes didn't shed their scales that easily.

"Now Harry, the reason I felt it necessary to spring the news of your parentage on you so abruptly last evening, is that we have an unfortunate situation on our hands. Apparently, the Dursleys were so upset by the accident and how it affected your cousin, that they wrongly blamed you. They appear to have, in their hearts, disowned you. I'm very sorry to have to have told you this, Harry. It isn't easy when one is at odds with their family. But I'm sure you noticed that your uncle was quite angry."

Harry scoffed. That was putting it mildly.

"This became an emergency when the ministry's 'Child Alone Notifier' sounded. This notifier is an instrument that sounds an alarm when a magical child is orphaned or abandoned. It works through a complicated bit of magic, well beyond what we teach here at Hogwarts. To my knowledge it has yet to misinform Ministry officials.

“I did not expect the alarm to sound after you and your relatives were involved in your accident, yet a dear friend within the ministry alerted me to the fact that it had, indeed, done so. The alarm sounded after you were brought here to us, so I can only surmise that your relatives have worked themselves up until they were quite angry. Apparently, they no longer wish to allow you to return to them. You would not have done so, in any case, not after your uncle attacked you.

“However, the fact that they were still your guardians would have bought us time to make other arrangements for you. Now that the Minister knows that they have rejected you, he has ordered me to turn you over as soon as you are released from the hospital wing. We cannot, of course, allow that to happen. Sometimes fortune can be found in the most unfortunate circumstances. Such was the case yesterday when you had an allergic reaction to the astragalus plant. Through that reaction, we found that you have a living relative. And according to our laws, Professor Snape's claim in the matter of your custody supersedes that of the Ministry. Your Professor must claim you as his son before you are able to be released from Madame Pomfrey's care. I would not have been so quick and careless in my haste to inform you, otherwise."

Harry nodded. It was shocking but he had an idea that it would have been just as shocking even if Dumbledore had taken all summer to break the news. There weren't too many ways to say "Professor Snape is your father." that could be done kindly. Sometimes life really, really stinks.

The Headmaster continued: "In our world it is a practice of long standing that a child who suddenly finds himself in need of a guardian be given to the care of another through a Guardianship Rite. It is a magically binding ritual in which the new guardian takes on the care of a minor child. There is little you need to concern yourself with during this ceremony. You need only be on your best behavior. Professor Snape will be required to make certain vows that will put him in charge of your welfare from now until you come of age. There may be other vows he may wish to make that would carry you through your lifetime, but that is something your Professor will decide on his own. This Rite must be performed this evening as it is likely that you will be well enough to leave the hospital wing tomorrow.

"And now for your summer arrangements. They will depend on whether Professor Snape intends to stay here at Hogwarts for the summer, or whether he intends to take you to one of his homes."

Ut Oh. This was not something he'd considered. He hadn't ever really thought about the professors having homes outside of Hogwarts. And now he may have to leave his home at Hogwarts and live somewhere else with Professor Snape? No. He'd run away before he let that happen. There was no way he was going anywhere with Snape. Father or not, he was never going to be in a position where he could not escape the man. Harry's mind raced through all the times Snape had been almost cruel to Harry and his friends. Almost heck, he had been cruel to all three of them many times over. And going to live in his house, under his rules, was just not on. But there was something else the Headmaster had said."One of?" Harry asked.

"Yes Harry, Professor Snape is heir to two ancient magical families. However, I do not know his summer plans as of yet. If he wishes to remain at Hogwarts for the summer, we will open a suite of rooms near his own in the dungeons for you."

"Why do I have to live by him or with him? Why can't I live in the tower?"

"Harry, dear boy, I imagine Gryffindor Tower would be quite intimidating were you to stay there alone. As brave as you are, in the summer there are no other children around. The dormitories and common room may sometimes seem almost crowded during school term, but take my word for it, during the holidays, it's another story entirely.

Harry hastened to assure Dumbledore: "I'm not afraid Sir, really. I don't need to be near Professor Snape. And I promise, he won't want me anywhere near him, either. If I have to live with him, I'll be killed within ten minutes." Then a dark smile crossed Harry's face. "Or he will."

"Now Harry, I know that you and Professor Snape have never made an effort to get along. But you have never, to my knowledge, attempted to murder one another. Let us hope that we need not fear that in the future, either. In fact, one would hope that your feelings toward each other would soon mellow. But as he is your father and will soon be your legal guardian, it is best for all concerned if you at least appear to be under his protection and guidance. The Ministry, especially, will be watching."

By now Harry was fervently hoping that Snape wasn't looking to take Harry out of Hogwarts to some house somewhere so they could bond as father and son. Father and son. That was an awful thought.

Harry hid an involuntary shudder.

Dumbledore stood and patted Harry on his uninjured leg. "Well young man, I have places to go and people to see. And I see Madam Pomfrey standing just over there, patiently waiting for another chance at you, so I will leave you to your examination and bid you farewell. I will return this afternoon to help you prepare for your Guardianship Rites which we will hold this evening. It should give you an ideal opportunity to crack open your Journal of Magic to a fresh new page."

) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (

Severus Snape was furiously pacing in his rooms, waiting for Professor Dumbledore to come for him. If the headmaster stayed true to form, he would be there within minutes to escort Snape to his office for a meeting with the damnable Black and Lupin. He would arrive at Snape's door early, not trusting him to attend the meeting without a personal escort.

The rooms he paced were spacious, as were all the Professor's rooms, especially those of the Heads of House. Done in a mixture of earth tones, the rooms were warm and welcoming. It was inconceivable that tonight he'd be taking on the care and feeding of one Harry blasted Potter. And that Potter might someday set foot in these rooms. Better that it be Neville Longbottom than Harry Potter.

He'd have to make him his heir, of course. Families could not continue without heirs, and as he could not ever imagine himself married with children, Potter would have to be his heir. At least his lines would not die out. Potter could give him that much. And it wasn't as if he were asking a favor of the child. His ancestry was pure and noble. The boy could do much worse than to be the sole heir of the Potter, Snape and Prince lines. In fact, when Snape was gone, Potter's wealth would likely surpass that of even the Malfoys.

Too bad it had to be Potter. But wouldn't it be entertaining to see Lucius Malfoy's face when he hears that Harry Potter is his heir? Let him brag about Draco's future now! His son, his famous son, would be the sole heir to three noble families. It wasn't as if he had to spend much time with the boy. It wouldn't hurt if he, himself, benefited from this arrangement, too.

Ah, there was Professor Dumbledore now. They could get this unpleasant business taken care of and put it behind them. He had meant to return to his manor for the summer but he would not take that Potter brat to his home, even if the boy might some day inherit it. He was not planning to introduce the boy to his father or sister. Ever. Nor would he wish to take him to the Prince ancestral home. They'd have to stay here for the summer and make do.

Earlier, Dumbledore had assured him that if he stayed at Hogwarts for the summer, Potter would not have to stay in his rooms with him. He'd been meaning to find the time to remodel his potions laboratory and his storage rooms. Staying here would give him that opportunity. Yes, they would stay here for the summer.

"Good Morning, Severus."

"Good Morning, Albus. Papa Severus? Really Headmaster..."

"Now Severus, you of all people know very well how potions, spells, and medications can interact. The boy was not in control of himself at that moment. I'm afraid he did not take the news of his parentage well."

Yes, he had recognized that Potter was under the influence of at least potions and medications. If Albus had spelled him as well, it is no wonder the boy reacted the way he did.

"He is not the only the who did not take the news well. Albus, I am not prepared to be anyone's father, let alone that boy's father. He may not be Potter's son after all, but he is still the most arrogant, rule breaking, insolent boy that I have ever have the misfortune to teach. I cannot be made his guardian. Surely there is another option."

And yet, you are his father, Severus. Are you unwilling to satisfy your obligations toward Harry?

This rankled Snape. His personal honor had always been important to him. He did not shirk his duties, no matter the cost.

"You know very well that there is no other way, Severus. You are blinded by your hatred for a man who is not Harry's father, after all. You cannot see the boy for who he is. He was unloved, Severus. His childhood was much like yours in your early years. Surely with such a childhood, it would be hard for anyone to grow up without some scars. Harry may not show his scars openly, but I've seen the pain in his eyes. He needs someone to call his own. In fact, he has said as much."

Now the headmaster had gone too far.

"How dare you bring my childhood into this! That brat is nothing like me. He may not have been pampered, but I assure you, he has suffered little. You can see it in his arrogance, in his overblown sense of self worth."

Professor Dumbledore merely shook his head. "I do hope, Severus, that in the future you at least make an attempt to treat Harry with a little respect and kindness, no matter what you may believe of him. He is your son."

"Humph,” was all Snape could manage.

“In any case, I am here to escort you to my office for our meeting with Sirius and Remus.”

“Headmaster, may I ask why you felt the need to come down to the dungeons to pick me up to take me back upstairs to your office?”

Dumbledore chuckled. “I take it you would not believe I was wandering the dungeons for the view?”

“No.”

“Very well then, I had an idea that you would need an escort in order to find your way to my office this morning.”

) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (

A short time after the meeting, Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black were striding up to the front door of Number 4 Privet Drive. Not one of them appeared to be in a good mood. Neighbors stared at the men whose clothing was completely out of place for a hot June day in Surrey. The oldest of the men wore a very long white beard. He appeared to be in charge of this group and led the way up the walk. Everyone was watching. The Dursleys were a frequent topic of conversation in the neighborhood and now they were getting a visit from four strange men in the middle of a Saturday afternoon.

The Dursleys' immense son was the neighborhood bully, but the parents doted on him. Their nephew, a scrawny boy, was reputed to be a juvenile criminal who attended a reformatory school. Yet he was unfailingly polite whenever one encountered him on a sidewalk or at the playground. He did not appear to have friends, but perhaps that was because of his cousin's interference more than his behavior or reputation. They watched as the Dursleys hushed the group and rushed them indoors. It was too bad they didn't stay to conduct their business on the lawn, where everyone could see.

Severus Snape didn't know what to expect when he arrived at Potter's family home, but he knew that this was not it. As he quickly scanned his surroundings, he noticed that the family was obviously well off, something he would not have guessed he would find. Potter must dress the way he does out of choice, rather than necessity. Everything was new and in pristine condition.

A very angry Vernon Dursley ushered them into the kitchen, practically pulling them in off the stoop. From the kitchen there was an open door to the living room, where a hospital bed had been installed and a massive boy of about Potter's age was reclining upon it.

“Who's there, Mummy? Who are you talking to?” the boy demanded.

As he was was yelling to his mother, he was spraying bits of food everywhere while stuffing his mouth with crisps from a huge yellow bag. How utterly disgusting.

“It's OK, Dudders, Mummy will be right there. Don't worry about these people. Daddy will get rid of them.”

Snape sneered. Obviously the Dursleys spoiled their charges, as he'd always believed.

It was interesting, however, that there was no sign that Potter had ever lived here. There were family pictures everywhere, none of which included Potter. There were also dozens of solo pictures of the boy in the living room. There appeared to be none of Potter. That was certainly not what he'd expected to see, but it fit with what he knew of the incidents of the past few days. Perhaps Albus was right, and Potter was not loved here.

The elder Dursley was attempting to shout Albus down. Albus, of course, never raised his voice. He could say more with his eyes in a look than most people could say in a ten minute rant. Black, however, was a different story, he appeared to prefer the hands on approach. As soon as the cluster of Wizards at the door made their way into the room, clearing the way, he raced forward and grabbed Dursley by the collar. The werewolf also started forward, likely in an attempt to restrain his friend, but Albus gave him a discreet sign asking him to hold back. Lupin retreated to a spot by the door, wand at the ready.

Petunia was shrieking at all of them, ordering them out of the house. She had not yet recognized her sister's childhood friend. Snape stepped forward.

"Petunia, how lovely to see you again."

"YOU!" she shrieked.

"Yes, me," he drawled. "Time has not been kind to you, has it, Petunia? And you've become even more of a harridan, I would not have thought it possible. Such lovely family photos you have displayed here. Where are those of your nephew?"

"GET OUT SEVERUS! You have no business here!"

"Oh but I do. You see, Wizards take care of their own. And as much as it may pain me to admit it, Harry Potter is one of our own. You have not treated him well, Petunia. He was given into your care in the belief that you would treat your own nephew, son of the sister you once worshiped..."

Petunia hissed at that.

"And a baby. A little boy much like your own..."

"He is NOTHING like my Dudley!"

"A boy much like your own," Snape continued, "but raised in a vastly different manner. It is clear he was not welcome here. He is obviously an unwanted burden and we are here to relieve you of your custodial obligations. You need only sign these documents and he will no longer be under your tender care."

While Snape was dealing with Petunia, he could see that Sirius Black had Vernon cornered. Black was hissing in Dursley's face, with Dursley's collar still bunched in his fists, demanding to know why he couldn't manage to take care of one extra little boy...why he needed to treat him like an interloper and deny him the basic human necessities like kindness, and caring. Snape was actually impressed with Black's restraint and coherent interrogation. He was also impressed with the way Black kept smacking Dursley's head against the wall behind him to punctuate his questions.

Dumbledore passed the guardianship papers to Petunia, who willingly, even gleefully, signed them. She returned them to the Headmaster, who smiled down at her before turning back to his companions.

"I'll ask you gentleman to cause no permanent damage to either the Dursleys or your knuckles. I must be off. Do return to the school as soon as you've finished here. We have plenty to do this evening." He then walked through the house sending an Accio here and there to gather anything belonging to Harry. Then he turned on his heel and popped back to Hogwarts.

Lupin, the ever accommodating sidekick to Potter and Black, offered to step outside and allow Harry's father and Godfather to perform some of the "Vindico" Series of Spells. These were spells that would, Snape felt, adequately punish the Dursleys. The couple appeared to be obsessively concerned with appearances. The house was kept immaculately clean. Their automobile was shiny and new. The landscaping was just so. When their group originally arrived at the house, Petunia and Vernon had ushered them in quickly, heads whipping back and forth to see who was outside and watching. Snape concluded that the Vindico spells would be a perfect punishment for mistreating a Wizard child in their care. The spells were referred to as the "Vengence" spells because they were used to isolate and punish someone who'd offended another.

Like Compulsion spells, the Fastidium spell, the first of the Vindico spells, was designed to influence Muggles. Only this spell would not simply send them away making them think they had forgotten something. This spell would make them feel an aversion to the designated area. They would rush away, feeling as if it were somehow repulsive and unclean.

The second in the series of spells they intended to cast was the Contineo spell. This spell would would cause the Dursleys to feel as if their home were too small, as if they couldn't get enough light or air, as if they were suffocating. It would approximate what Potter must have felt all those years here in this house, where he obviously wasn't welcome among the family.

The spells were either cast by the offended person or others acting on his behalf. They were difficult to cast. They required a lot of strength and Snape had not been able to sleep, not since learning he had sired Harry Potter. But for this he would find the strength. Potter was his son. He may not like the idea, indeed, he hated it, but it was only right that he and Potter's Godfather be the ones to exact punishment for what the child had endured at the hands of these Muggles. If Lupin had not arrived at the hospital where Potter had undergone Muggle surgery when he did, the boy's uncle would likely have killed him. And so, tired or not, he would join with the idiot Black, and cast the Fastidium and Contineo spells.

Now the Dursley family would have no friends. They would have no honor, no prestige. They would be seen as repulsive by anyone who came near their home. They would no longer have guests, for no one would come near the house. They would likely be gossiped about because all they held dear would appear unclean, which would destroy Petunia. And she'd deserve it.

The spells would not follow them to a new home, of course. The spells must be attached to a building, not a person. However, with the Vindico spells in effect, it would be next to impossible to sell the house. So unless they left the home behind and moved just themselves and their belongings, they were stuck in the situation he and Black were about to create. It was fitting.

It did not surprise Snape that Black knew these spells. The Black family was notorious for its dark magic practitioners. You do not grow up like that without picking up a few things now and again. Snape knew that first hand. His own family had dabbled in the dark arts rather obsessively and were quite well practiced in revenge plots, usually those perpetuated on each other.

Black nodded at Snape. Snape nodded back. "Petrificus Totalus!", they incanted together. Petunia and Vernon dropped where they stood and Dudley began squealing. For Merlin's sake he sounded like a terrified pig. However, with his injury he could not move from his bed. It was a pity he'd be involved in this, he was just a child. But according to Lupin, Dr. Lorrie reported that the Dursley boy had spent plenty of time while in hospital bitterly complaining about his freak cousin and the damage he'd done to him. He had made all manner of threats concerning his plans for Potter when next he saw him. It was obvious the Dursleys were unanimous in their dislike and mistreatment of Potter.

Together the two Wizards raised their wands and wove a long, involved incantation around the inside of the home, concentrating on the outer walls. They cast Fastidium together as they spread the magic through the structure of the home. The walls shimmered before solidifying once more. It was an exhausting bit of magic. The compulsion spells on sports stadiums were woven by dozens of Wizards and Witches together. While this home hardly compared in size to such a structure, it was still draining for two wizards to cast enough magic to cover it. Lupin could not have helped, his status as a Wizard was always in jeopardy depending on the whims of the Ministry. If it were found that he had used such dark magic, it would be used as an argument in favor of taking "human" status from werewolves and reclassifying them as "beasts". These Ministry whims ruled Lupin's life and it was better that he, like Dumbledore, the leader of the light, not be present during the casting.

The next spell concentrated on the walls inside each room. "Contineo!" Room after room, they practiced their craft with the ease of experience. When they were done, Snape was swaying and Black wasn't much better off. Dudley had been screaming through the entire experience, it hadn't helped.

Now the house would feel repulsive to any Muggle who came near. They had taken care of that quite thoroughly. The inside would give no comfort to its inhabitants. As long as a Dursley owned this house it would feel as if it were a tiny bedroom. Fitting.

As Dr. Lorrie had mentioned, Potter's bedroom door was locked with half a dozen strong locks. There was a cat flap in the door, seeming to imply that the door was rarely opened to let Potter out. That was no way to treat a child. They'd chosen the punishment well.

Black and Snape shared a look. What they had done here they had done for a small Wizard boy who could not avenge himself. They had done it together, combing their skills and strength. They were satisfied with the results. They might not leave here friends, but at least they were no longer bitter enemies. At some point this afternoon, they had developed a grudging, tentative, mutual respect.

With a quick flick of his wand, Snape released the Dursleys from their frozen state. They were ranting and raging long before they got to their feet. It was time to leave. Black led the way out to the lawn where Lupin stood with his arms crossed and a satisfied look on his face.

"Why are looking so smug, Lupin?" Snape asked.

Black seemed to understand right away. These two were well attuned to each other from years of plotting, scheming and perpetuating mischief together.

While Black approached Lupin, slapping him on the back, Lupin explained. "Well, every neighborhood has at least one gossip. It was easy to tell that this neighborhood gossip lived right next door to Harry. When I came from the house, she came right over, demanding to know who we were and what was going on. So I told her. We are representatives from Harry Potter's school. For some reason, the dear lady was under the impression that Harry attended a school called 'St. Brutus's Secure Centre for Incurably Criminal Boys.' I disabused her of that notion, of course.

“I explained that Harry attended an exclusive school for gifted boys, and that he was one of the most remarkable students in the school. She was having a hard time believing me, of course, having been told for years now that Harry was a hooligan, but she did acknowledge that Dudley appeared to be much nastier than Harry. Dudley, apparently, bullies younger kids around the neighborhood when he isn't smoking cigarettes on street corners. She again demanded to know what we were doing here. I explained that during the days following the family's automobile accident we were dismayed to find that Harry was being neglected in this household. That the Dursleys were unhappy to have been made the boy's guardians and took every opportunity to let him know how unwanted he was. Of course, I explained, we couldn't let something like that continue. So we were taking the child back to the school where he would be placed with another, more loving, family."

Snape snorted. Loving, indeed. But as Lupin went on to explain, the woman had rushed off across the street to spread the word. Lupin had done as much damage as he and Black had done and the werewolf hadn't had to lift a wand. It was satisfying.

The world suddenly tipped and Snape nearly lost his balance. Using that much dark magic would be difficult on the best of days. It takes a lot out of you. Having done so while tired worsened his condition. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to apparate from here without splinching himself.

Lupin seemed to realize Snape's predicament. He offered his arm. The choices were either to stand here on the Dursleys' front lawn until he regained some strength, take the arm and allow himself to be apparated by a man he'd loathed for the majority of his life, or take his chances at splinching and apparate himself. He chose the latter, turned and apparated.

He materialized at the gates to Hogwarts, where he promptly fell against the fence. Black and Lupin arrived seconds later. At this point, there really was no choice. Pride be damned, he needed to get inside the castle to rest. Lupin once again put out an arm. This time Snape took it, accepting help for the long walk across the castle grounds. Thankfully, Dumbledore took over for the werewolf once they entered the school. It was he who escorted Snape down to his dungeon quarters where he would rest before preparing for the ceremony.