Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi! Working hard to get this to you as soon as I can. School is taking up a lot of my time; there's so much work!

I forgot last chapter to give a loud shout-out to the awesome Debs! Thanks so much for all your help and support! Kisses to you luv!

Disclamer: not mine!

Enjoy!
Revelation, a Resolution

Taking the floo had been the only transportation option that seemed to make sense considering Harry's situation. Remus had had gone ahead after reassuring Harry at least three times that he really would be there to catch him if necessary.

 

Harry's leg had started to ache a few minutes before they were set to leave, but Poppy had assured him that the pain was normal.

 

“The break in the bone is fully healed. Because of the binding potion you were given, that was all I could heal. The skin and muscle around it will heal rather quickly though; I've used a topical potion. Since it's still rather fragile, I'm going to bind your leg. I don't want you using it so much for the next day or so.”

 

The bandage she had put on bound Harry's leg so tightly that it was almost as useless as if it were still broken. Hence the cane he was forced to carry around.

 

A strict regiment had been set up for him, including his diet for the next few weeks as well as a sleeping schedule and exercises he should be doing at least twice a day. Although his petulant teenage mind wanted to rip the list to shreds, shouting “screw naps and exercise!”, his body was too tired.

 

Talk of malnutrition, exhaustion, weakness, and recovery floated through the air around him. Harry could sense that his body was beyond screwed up at the moment; pushed past all normal limits, but it was really his mind which felt like it had just been through WWIII.

 

Harry couldn't remember much of the last few weeks. There was a sense of irrationality to his thoughts – this intense anxiety that seemed to govern his mind – but that was only when he had been coherent enough to know what was going on around him. Most of the early days at Grimmauld Place constituted faint half-memories. He could remember sitting at the table, a plate of food in front of him, inane chatter passing over his head. He could recall the urge he had to talk, to say anything, to tell anyone that something wasn't right, but he couldn't. The next thing he would be able to see would be the dark interior of his room.

 

He remembered hating that room – the darkness reminding him too much of his captivity, but he was trapped. He had escaped from one prison only to be caught in another. Something kept him there, trapped in the room as well as his own mind.

 

The nights were the hardest. Darkness would fall outside his window and he'd be able to feel his body getting weaker. The first night he managed to fall asleep right away, only to wake up seemingly seconds later, completely in control of his own body. He remembered that he freaked out, but without really understanding why it felt like this long, strenuous mental battle was going on, he had no way of explaining to Remus why he was scared. He just knew in his mind that something wasn't right. There was something inside him that was trying to take control, and it was strong enough to do so.

 

The first night was one of the last Harry – or at least his body - had managed to fall asleep. The thing inside him realized that its control slackened when he slept, so Harry's body was kept running. Sleep became a distant memory of the past. There were times when Harry had been so exhausted that his body just collapsed, but by that point Harry would be so tired from the mental fight that there was nothing he could do. He remembered once pushing through the fog long enough to try and get help, from Snape of all people, and that time he ended up in the basement, but as far as he could recall, that had been an unsuccessful attempt at communicating with anyone.

 

Remus said he had been a Horcrux – a piece of Voldemort's soul had managed to take over Harry’s body. He shuddered at the thought. It was one thing that there was a connection between them because of the scar, but to think that a piece of his parents’ murderer's soul was inside him...that was horrifying.

 

But now he was being shipped back to the place he had felt most oppressed. The thought exhausted him – having to spend the rest of the break at Grimmauld Place did not really seem like the best way to get over what had happened seemed ridiculous. But Remus wanted him to go, so he would. His only condition had been that Remus would go ahead to fill everyone in on what was necessary for them to know so Harry wouldn't have to deal with all the explanations he was pretty much incapable of giving anyway.

 

Apparently he had been an ass to his friends, but Harry couldn't remember. He supposed that he owed them some sort of explanation, but right now, he just needed time for himself. If Ron and Hermione were really the friends he thought they were, they would give him that peace of mind. It wasn't like he was going to avoid them or anything, he just didn't want to be in the line of fire and Remus had volunteered to step in for him.

 

Remus had agreed with Harry, which was why he was willing to be the spokesperson, and so he had gone ahead to Grimmauld Place to ward off any questions that might be flung in Harry's direction.

 

Harry, meanwhile, sat waiting patiently for Madam Pomfrey to give him the cue to go ahead. It was another five minutes before she came over and threw some floo-powder into the fireplace. Bright green flames flared up and Harry felt of pool of anxiety flood into his stomach. He drew closer to the heath. He limped heavily, leg dragging a little and cane clinking on the stone.

 

“Don't worry dear.” Madam Pomfrey said. “Remus will be there to catch you if necessary. Your leg will be fine in no time, as long as you keep up with your exercises.” Harry nodded in acknowledgement.

 

“Thank you, Madam Pomfrey.”

 

“You'll be fine.” She patted him once on the shoulder, as if reassuring herself more than Harry. He turned and stepped into the fire. Madam Pomfrey had that look in her eyes, the one that said 'I can't believe you're alive', and it made Harry very uneasy.

 

He called out 'Grimmauld Place' and braced himself for the out-of-control spinning awaiting him. Fire places rushed passed his face. Before he had time to even bother closing his eyes against the impending dizziness, he was being ejected into one of the sitting rooms at Headquarters. Arms grabbed him as he tumbled forward, preventing him from crashing to the floor. Traveling gracefully through the floo had never been Harry's strong-suit, and with his bum leg, grace was a long shot.

 

Remus smiled as Harry threw him a well-meant 'thanks', and helped him limp over to the couch. Harry was glad to see the room was empty.

 

“How's the leg?” Remus grabbed a warm compress that was apparently waiting for him, and pressed it against Harry's upper leg, relieving the pain that Harry hadn't even noticed settling in. It upset him to think that only a few minutes of use had such an effect on him.

 

Remus must had sensed the drop in his mood. “Don't worry. With all the exercise Poppy has set up for you, you'll be up and running marathons in no time.”

 

Harry gave him a weak smile as he pressed the compress harder against his leg, relishing in the warmth. “I know. It's just hard and I don't even really remember what happened. It's not fair...”

 

“We'll get through this together.” Remus grabbed his chin with his fingers, forcing Harry to look him straight in the eyes. “I promise.”

 

He stood up. “Now, are you up for seeing everyone yet, or would you rather nap first?”

 

Harry looked at him incredulously. “It's only ten in the morning!”

 

Remus held up his hands in a sign of defense. “Poppy's orders were that you nap when you get here. Besides, I'm sure you're tired. You were up pretty early.”

 

“Yeah, but still...”

 

“Brunch it is then.” Remus smiled and held out a hand to help Harry stand.

 

Harry took a deep breath and braced himself for seeing his friends and the rest of the Weasleys.

 

“Everyone's here?”

 

Remus nodded. “It won't be so bad. They know what they need to know. The children have all been warned about pestering you with questions.”

 

They began walking forward, towards the kitchen. Just before going in, Remus placed his palm against Harry's arm, pausing a minute before stating “You know you'll have to talk about it eventually, right?”

 

His eyes were serious, and Harry felt his resolve waver. He knew Remus wasn't talking only about the whole Horcrux fiasco. He was about to protest, but Remus held up a hand. “Not now, not even this week, but if you want to be able to move on you have to deal and doing so involves talking. There are still things we need answers to, Harry.”

 

“I know.” his voice came out sounding small and defeated. “I'm just not ready.”

 

Remus gripped the back of his neck and squeezed fondly. “Don't even bother thinking about it. Wipe it from your mind for the next few days. Pretend this is the start of a whole new summer.”

 

He wrapped an arm tightly around Harry's shoulders and pulled him close. Harry stayed motionless for a moment before wrapping his own arms around Remus. “I'll try.”

 

Plastering a cheery smile on to his face, Remus reached out for the door. “Ready?”

 

Harry shrugged nervously. “Let's do this.”

 

Harry didn't know what he really expected when Remus pushed the door open, but what hit him first was the smell of eggs and bacon, the warmth of an overly active kitchen, and the sounds of a family sitting down to eat together. Red assaulted his eyes as he stepped through the doorway. People were everywhere. Instead of becoming really quiet, the noise hit a crescendo as Harry was brought into the fold, seated at the table with a plate in front of him, red-heads continuing to run back and forth across the room.

 

As uncomfortable as Harry felt being inside this house, on the other side of the same coin, he felt completely at home. This was his family. That thought tugged at something in him and he could feel himself beginning to cry.

 

Although the craziness had minimized when Harry and Remus had stepped through the doorway, at the sight of Harry's tears falling, it slowed down another ten percent.  Remus' hand on his shoulder was a reassuring comfort at the moment but when he bent down to whisper in Harry’s ear, asking if he wanted to leave the room, Harry shook his head.

 

In his peripheral vision, Harry could see Mr. Weasley beginning to direct the kids out of the room and Harry called out to him. “Please don't. I'm good, I just...I'm happy.”

 

Ron and Hermione ran to hug him as Mr. Weasley rescinded his order.

 

“I don't remember feeling this way in a really long time and it's a bit overwhelming, but in a good way, if you know what I mean?” Harry said with a smile.

 

“Oh, Harry.” Hermione cooed from beside him.

 

“It's good to have you back, mate.” Ron added. He clapped him gently on the back.

 

“It's good to be back.” Then in a bold move that would make Remus proud for sure, Harry added “Not that I really know where I went.”

 

Silence fell for a moment as everyone took a second to think about how to respond to Harry's addressing of his 'situation'.

 

“Look at you, already making jokes.”

 

It was Mrs. Weasley who finally had the guts to answer him, and she smiled encouragingly at him, hiding behind it those same surprised eyes that Pomfrey had directed to him earlier.

 

Remus, as predicted, had a more solid smile pasted onto his face. Harry of course, could see the worry hidden under his happy expression, but he had a feeling that that would be there for a long time yet. It didn't bother him though. In an odd way, it was comforting. It whispered to him that there were people looking out for him, and right now, that was exactly what he needed; friends and family to take care of him.

 

A phantom memory crept into his mind, of a cold, high-pitched hiss in his ear, whispering about how alone he was in the world with no family, no real friends...But as Harry watched Mrs. Weasley shoving platter after platter full of food down to his end of the table, and Hermione grabbing a small selection from each and placing them on his plate, Harry shoved that voice away roughly.

 

'You're wrong. I do have a family.'

 

Harry felt himself laughing as Remus stepped forward, telling Hermione that that was way too much food for Harry.

 

“It's alright, Remus, I'll eat what I can.” Harry's smiled encouragingly at them both. “I gotta to get some meat back on these bones.”

 

'That's it.'

 

As chatter picked up around him, Harry thought to himself. Maybe this recovery thing wouldn't be so hard. After all he was with a great group of people, all who loved and supported him.

 

'I can do this'. 

Chapter End Notes:
Chapter title from Florence and the Machine- No light. Sensing a theme? :P

Hope you liked! Let me know!