Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This is by far the longest chapter at 21 pages long. Wow right? Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, I do have an outline for this baby. Oh yeah, it was pointed out that my timeline was slightly off..so I went back and edited chapter 1...lol Hope you enjoy the chapter..it's filled with stuff lol
Chapter 15: Gaining in the Midst of Tragedy
Chapter 15: Gaining in the midst of Tragedy

 

Remus blinked owlishly as he slowly opened his eyes, wondering just when he had fallen asleep. He knew he was still in the hospital due to the white walls, but what the heck was he doing on the bed? He glanced over when he heard a sniffling noise and turned to find Theodore clutching Bill Weasely. When had he gotten here? What was going on?

"Remus, you gave Theodore quite a scare," Arthur said from somewhere to the right of him.

"I did?" He asked in confusion before reaching out for the child to come to him.

"I'm fine Theo really. I'm not sure what happened," he admitted slowly.

"You fell backwards, I thought you were dying or something," the third year explained quietly.

"You just passed out, he's fine Theo," Arthur told him gently.

Remus shook his head in disbelief, knowing immediately just why he fainted. He had heard the news that Sirius might just be innocent, no that Sirius was innocent. And all this time he had betrayed his friend by not believing him. How could he do that? Would the man ever forgive him? Did he deserve to be forgiven?

"But why did you pass out? What happened?" Theo asked in confusion.

"You heard the wireless yeah? I just found out that one of my best friends is probably innocent and I betrayed him by thinking he was guilty. I don't know where he is, or where to look. And I will never forgive myself if he turns out to not be okay. Azkaban isn't a place you want to visit, let alone stay there for 12 years like he did," Remus said sadly.

"It will be okay Remus," Arthur told the man softly.

"How can you know that?" He asked quietly before shaking his head with a sigh.

"Because I have to believe that it will be okay. Given what's happened, I need to believe that the world is still a good place," he told him softly.

Remus sighed as he sat up briefly, closing his eyes with a sigh. "I know, and I meant to let you know I was sorry. This thing with Percy, he will fight it, but until he's strong enough you have to fight it for him," he told the man seriously.

"It's hard, it's not just Percy. Ron isn't doing so well either," Arthur said frowning.


"Well like you said, we have to believe that it will be okay in the end," Remus reminded him gently.

Remus gave the man a sad smile as he grabbed the rest of Theodore's things. They were leaving, the sooner they were out of the hospital the better.

"If you guys need anything just floo us," Arthur told him as he gave him a side hug.

"The same to you," Remus replied before he and Theo left the room, and headed to the public floo in the hospital.

~*~*~*~*~*~December*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It had been 1 month and a half and counting since the disaster at Hogwarts and the castle was still closed down. It had wizards and witches alike, casting spells to it, and helping it rebuild itself. It was coming along nicely but nowhere near being functional as a school as it once was. At the Dumbledore Manor, things were starting to come to pass, or at least on the road there.

Sirius grinned at the mirror, his appearance doing wonders for how he was feeling. He had flooed Amelia Bones earlier that day, finally getting in contact with her. Albus had made sure that there would be no surprises and Peter was stunned in his human form with magical handcuffs that left him unable to transform. The man was currently in a holding cell with Moody as his guard so Sirius felt confident that the slippery rat wouldn't get away.

The Flints had come through and he had a trial set for next week, and he was ready for it. He had a few demands and he knew they would go for it, as they had wronged the Head of the Noble and Ancient house of Black. He smirked to himself before stepping back from the mirror as the floo went off. He wasn't sure who it was, Albus hadn't said expect anyone, though if he was being honest he hadn't seen the old man in a few days. Sirius opened his mouth to greet the newcomer before he grimaced as he realized just who it was.

"Snivellus," he muttered out.

"Black, is Albus here?" Severus asked as he looked around the manor.

"I don't know, I hadn't seen him. Owl him in the future, and save us both the trouble of coming here," Sirius said with a shake of his head.

"Don't start something you can't finish," Severus said lightly, not in the mood for this game.

"You threatening me?" Sirius said his eyes narrowing at the man.

Severus shook his head in disbelief before he made his ay out the sitting room. He didn't have time for idiots. "Albus!" He called out, hoping the old man would hear him if he was there. He turned towards the stairs, as he heard feet expecting the old man, but his usually inexpressive face lit up as he saw who it was.

"Professor!" Harry called out excitedly as he ran down the steps and all but threw himself at the man.

"How are you?" Severus asked as he looked over the small boy as he held him in his arms.

"I'm good, how come I haven't seen you around here?" Harry asked with a frown.

"I've been busy, with Hogwarts and the funerals," Severus told him honestly.

"To busy to come see me?" Harry asked sadly, his expression dropping.

"No, I didn't know you wanted to see me, but I'll keep that in mind in the future," Severus told him quickly as he caught the look on the child's face.

"Okay," Harry said slowly, willing to forgive the man for that since he hadn't known. "Just don't forget,"

"I won't," he promised as he glanced at the clock, wondering where Albus was.

"Professor, I think that there is something wrong with me," Harry confided to him quietly.

Severus was instantly on alert at that, Albus could wait. He needed to hear what Harry had to say. "What makes you say that?" He murmured gently.

Harry chewed his bottom lip thoughtfully for a moment. "Cause, whenever I go to the funerals, I don't...," he stopped when he realized that Sirius had appeared in the room. H didn't want his godfather to know this. What if the man made fun of him or something?

"You don't want Harry?" Severus prodded gently.

Harry shrugged, feeling embarrassed now. "Never mind it's not important," he mumbled out.

"I beg to differ," Severus said seriously. "Spill,"

Sirius was frowning as he looked from Harry to Snape. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Nothing," Harry said quickly.

"You sure about that? It doesn't look like nothing. Did Snape do something to you? Did he say something Harry?" Sirius asked, getting defensive on his godson's behalf.

"No he didn't Sirius," Harry said with a loud sigh.

"Then what is it?" Sirius pressed.

Severus gave the man a dirty look. "He obviously doesn't want to discuss it with you here, so leave Black," he told the man with a glare.

Sirius turned to look at his godson with an incredible look. "Is this true Harry?" He asked skeptically.

Harry turned and buried his head in his Professor's shoulder. He didn't want the spotlight on him. Why couldn't Sirius just take a hint, he loved his godfather but the man was so dense at times.

"Can't you see now? Give us a few moments," Severus told him with a hard look. Merlin he had forgotten how stubborn Black really was.

Sirius bristled at that, he didn't like the fact that his godson was now clinging to the dour man. That should be him, why was Harry doing this? He had a bad feeling and he didn't like it. He breathed heavily, as jealously started to rear it's ugly head.

"I don't think so," he said tightly. "Harry get over here,"

"No, I hafta talk to him," Harry protested.

"No you don't, you can talk to me, whatever it is kiddo," Sirius said firmly.

"I don't want to Sirius, I have to talk to the Professor," he pleaded out.

"Black, can't you see your upsetting him?" Severus said dryly. "We'll be in the kitchen, obviously Harry has something to discuss with me," he told him as he made to go around the man.

"Like hell Snape, you have no claim over him. You're just his Professor, and not even that if I don't allow him to go back to Hogwarts this year," Sirius said vindictively enjoying the way the man's face paled even more at that. Something in him snapped at that very moment, and he couldn't find it in him to care. The victory however was short lived when he saw Harry's face.

"You can't do that! All my friends are there," Harry said terrified as he stared at his godfather in horror.

"I can do that, once I become your guardian you're my responsibility," Sirius told him.

"I don't want you as my guardian then!" Harry yelled out.

"Don't raise your voice at me kiddo," Sirius said warningly as he stared in his godson in disbelief.

"I can do whatever I want, you're not the boss of me!" Harry yelled out defiantly before he turned and pressed his face back into his Professor's shoulder.

"Oh yes I am, now go to your room!" Sirius said angrily.

"No! I don't have to listen to you!" Harry screamed out, as he held tight to his Professor. The only way he as getting off of the man was if Sirius came and literally pulled him off. He was stubborn to the core and he was not moving.

"I'm your godfather, and you will do what I say," he said hotly.

Severus was caught in the middle, technically this wasn't any of his business but he was here, however he wasn't sure just what to say at the moment, so he stayed quiet for the time being.

"You don't have custody of me," Harry replied in the same tone, his eyes narrowing dangerously as well. He was 13, and the boy-who-lived, if he so chose too, he didn't have to go with his godfather.

Sirius gave the boy a dirty look before his gaze swept over the other man as if just remembering he was still here. "Albus clearly isn't here, so just leave Snape," he bit out.

"Not right now, we'll be upstairs," he told him calmly before carrying the child upstairs. Even if Black would never hurt Harry intentionally, the man had raised his voice to the child in anger and he didn't feel good leaving him at the moment.

Sirius couldn't really say anything at that, grumbling under his breath as they left. "Greasy bastard,"

~*~*~*~*~2 weeks later*~*~*~*~*~


The next couple of weeks passed by slowly for Harry, Ron still wasn't answering his replies and he wasn't sure where Hermione was as she hadn't even received his letter. The bright side in December seemed to be Sirius's trial. He went along with the Headmaster and was very happy when Sirius was proven innocent. However he as still slightly at odds with his godfather. The man didn't understand why he liked his Potion's Professor. How could he explain it? Snape saved him on numerous occasion and he wasn't evil. He wasn't that naïve or stupid, he knew both Snape and Sirius hated one another mutually but he was hoping for his sake that they would tolerate the other.

Harry couldn't understand that, he thought he had hated Malfoy, but he saw the blonde boy at Seamus's funeral and he couldn't hate him. He looked like he was barely hanging on as it was, besides what did the school houses have to do with real life, or anything really? After this disaster, things were put in perspective. Fighting was stupid, it led to things, or more importantly death. And he had seen enough death in his short life. He wouldn't fight Draco, and he didn't think that the blonde boy would fight him in return. He knew Ron wouldn't, as Ron wasn't even there anymore. He missed his best friend, but before the morose thoughts could fully take him he glanced up as he heard the floo.

"Hey kiddo, I got my freedom in writing, among a few things. If everything goes the way it should, we'll be in our own house in a few days," Sirius told him cheerfully.

Harry's jaw dropped in disbelief, and surprise. "You have guardianship of me?" He asked out.

"Well not yet, as the Goblins are looking for the bank copy of your parent's will," Sirius admitted.

"Oh," he said unable to help as he breathed out a breath of relief. He loved his godfather, but he had lived with him for almost two months, and while the man as fun, he wasn't exactly parent material.

Sirius frowned, catching the sigh as he looked at his godson. "Do you not want to live with me?" He asked bluntly, unsure what to think at this point.

Harry bit his lip apprehensively as he looked at his godfather. "Well, I kinda...just wanted like, I don't know a dad. And..I don't know okay," Harry rushed out embarrassed and a bit frustrated as well.

"And you don't think I can be that father figure for you?" Sirius asked, trying hard to keep the hurt he felt inside at the thought that Harry was standing here rejecting his offer, and himself in general. He didn't know what else to feel but hurt? How was one supposed to take this anyway?

"Well you're fun, but you're not really serious," Harry told him quietly.

"I am Sirius kiddo," Sirius said with a grin at his small joke.

"That's what I mean," Harry aid before sighing. HE was grateful that the man would take him away from the Durselys but he didn't want him as his guardian. He wanted someone else, but he didn't think he would get that, so Sirius was second best. It was better then before right?

"I was joking Harry, people do that. Fine,, who do you want as your guardian?" Sirius told him with a firm look. "Since you would rather have them then me?" He said a bit of bitterness seeping through.

Harry frowned at the tone, before he shrugged. He wanted his Potion's Professor, but Sirius would never go for that. Not to mention, he wasn't one of the man's Slytherins either. So he had no such claim that way either, man he wished the sorting had could have had its way. He couldn't have Snape ad now his godfather was hurt, he could hear it. He should be grateful that someone was taking him away from the horrible Durselys. Who was he to act like a spoiled brat, like Dudley, just cause he didn't get what he wanted. This was his life, he never got what he wanted. At least Sirius would never hit him. The thought of living with his godfather didn't excitement though, knowing that his heart wasn't in it.

"No one, just you Sirius," Harry said quietly before he turned and quickly headed up to his room before the man could question him further.

Sirius wasn't sure about it, but he knew that Harry didn't want him. The problem was, he had a hunch just who Harry wanted, and he hated it. What did the boy see in him anyway? He sighed loudly before he made his way to his own room.

A few days went by with the tension in the household feeling strained between the two occupants. Sirius was just glad that Albus was still at the Ministry, he had no plans to discuss this with the old man, who was a firm believer in giving chances. He wouldn't give Snape the chance to steal his godson away from him. He glanced at the paper in his hand, a small smile gracing his face a it declared his innocence.

He was ecstatic but he would be even more happy if Remus would return his owl. He hoped his hadn't lost his last friend. He nodded to himself, what if the man hadn't received it? Thing were still hectic and Remus was technically still a Professor so he as probably taking care of thing with Albus. Whatever the reason, he wished the man would pen a reply, anything would be better then this waiting.

Sirius took a seat at the table, eyebrows furrowing together as he looked at the empty seat across from him. It was time for lunch, but Harry wasn't down here. He knew the child had to be hungry as he didn't see him for breakfast and the one thing he found out about his godson was the boy didn't like skipping meals. He glanced at the lunch spread on the table enviously as he made himself stand up.

This was the being a parent part, he couldn't just eat he had to go see what was wrong. What was keeping the child from lunch? He jogged up the steps, figuring the boy had probably got caught up in either his playing or something. But as he got to the top of the steps, he heard something crash and he froze out of reflex. He listened hard for something, but it seemed like a silencing spell was placed. It was just way to quiet up here. What was going on?

"Harry? What was that?" He called out curiously.

He was expecting an answer but he didn't get it. He frowned as he hurried to the child's room, to find the door locked, and allowed for a few second's his panic to take over as he couldn't open the door. He pulled out his wand and easily unlocked it and froze once more, this time in the doorway as sound exploded from the room. He quickly deduced that the boy's accidental magic was in play here, especially the room looked like a tornado went through it and he hadn't heard anything on the outside of the door, but now it was intense. He slowly walked in, and looked for his wayward godson, where the child? He frowned as he saw him on the floor, and hurried over to him.

"Harry? You okay kiddo? What happened?" Sirius asked out worriedly as he gently touched his shoulder.

Harry squeezed his eyes shut when he heard his godfather's voice, wanting him here but at the same time he didn't. He took a breath to explain and choked on a sob, he couldn't talk, it was too much. The grief, and pain he had been feeling the past month and a half was breaking their way out of him. He could barely breathe it felt like, as it clawed it's way out of him. "I hurt," he managed to gasp out.

"What hurts?" Sirius asked immediately as he looked at the boy in concern.

"Everything in me, hurts so bad," he whispered out tearfully.

Sirius was at a slight loss of what to do. He truly felt Albus's absence today, the old man would definitely know how to fix this. "Hurt how kiddo? Can you tell me?"

"Like pain on the inside, everywhere. It hurts Sirius! It hurts!" Harry screamed out.

The usually carefree man was rubbing the boy's back worriedly, as he tried to figure out what to do. How was he to fix this? He only knew that pain was hurting? Something in him, knew it was emotionally speaking and nothing like a curse. But knowing didn't make it any easier, as he still didn't know what to say to him.

"It'll be okay Harry," Sirius promised him tightly, feeling inadequate.

Harry jerked away from the man at that, turning around to look at him with angry eye. "No it won't! They're all dead! It'll never be okay!" He screamed out.

"Oh," Sirius breathed out, as he finally got a clue to just what was going on. Harry was finally grieving at last. He reached out to grab the boy who he could see was fighting the grief and he shook his head, that was going to make it worst. "Trust me kiddo, you need to let it out," he told him gently.

Harry shook his head frantically as he bit into his arm to stop the pain on the inside of him. "No!" He screamed out in return.

"Don't you dare hurt yourself, that is not the way! You need to grieve!" Sirius said firmly, his heart pounding in his chest. He clearly needed help but he couldn't just leave Harry could he?
Harry tried to pull away from the man, as he found himself with his back flattened against his godfathers torso. He was stuck, and the only thing he could do was scream and he did. He let out an ear piercing shriek that was filled with hi accidental magic that had the windows in his bedroom blowing out, glass everywhere.

"Holy shit!" Sirius yelled out, as he made sure his godson was covered as glass cut into his own back and any uncovered skin. He covered the child's head and closed his eyes as the wind around them got louder as it picked up. "Harry stop! Calm down, please!" He pleaded, knowing it was the child. His godson really was a powerful little wizard.

"No! Snape, get me Snape! Want Snape!" Harry babbled out frantically as the grief finally released itself, and his magic had its way as it destroyed everything in his room.

"Merlin, you're gonna kill us," Sirius said out fearfully, he could barely hear the child, as the wind was the only sound in his ears at the moment. He was at a loss this moment, he needed help.

"Snape, get Snape! I want Snape!" Harry started to chant, before he screamed again as a wave of grief came over him, and tried to overtake him again. Why did he always continue living when everyone else around him died? Was this fate's way of a sick joke? Why did he always have to survive? Living wasn't always better, not when one suffered like this. Would it ever get better, it didn't feel like it.

Sirius understood that word as he realized just who Harry was yelling for. As much as he didn't want to do it, he couldn't control the boy. He needed help, and Snivellus would know what to do. He hugged the boy tight to his chest, his mind made up to get the man but what was he going to do about Harry? Obviously he couldn't leave him alone. "Merlin help me," he breathed out.

He got his answer about a minute later, when Harry just went slack in his arms. He panicked for a moment, before he realized that the child was breaking down. He could hear the small gasps of his sobs, before he started calling brokenly for Snape. He wasn't going to deny him this, no matter how much hatred he had for the other man. He forced himself to swallow the pride, and the hurt that was seeping through as he pulled out his wand.

He didn't want to move anywhere, just in case Harry decided to explode again. Why tempt fate? He took a breath before he cast his grim Patronus, giving a quick message for Snape to come and that it was an emergency involving Harry. He breathed out softly when it ran away, feeling more alone in this situation then ever. He hugged the boy tight as he cried in his chest.

"Snape?" Harry asked out hoarsely.

"He's coming," Sirius promised, hoping the man did for once in his life.

"Okay," Harry whispered out softly as he squeezed his godfather's arms tight in his hands.

Sirius only hoped the man didn't think it was joke, although he would never joke about an emergency that had to do with his godson that was off limits. It felt like they had been standing in the room for so long, as he currently had no sense of time at the moment. But in actuality it had been only 5 minutes at the most. Sirius turned his head to the door of the bedroom as he heard the fireplace downstairs.

"Up here!" He yelled out, trying not to startle Harry anymore then necessary. Not that it mattered as the child whimpered anyway, which only made Sirius hug him tighter. Yeah, he could be bigger man and ask Snape for help, for Harry. He would do anything, even at the expense of himself.

Severus ran briskly up the stairs when he heard Black's voice. He had been visiting Lupin, who now had his Slytherin in his care. He was still trying to wrap his head around that one, but he knew that the elder Nott clearly had a plan up his sleeve. As it was, he and Lupin had been alarmed when they saw the dog Patronus, both knowing who it came from. He was horrified however, when he heard the panic in the man's voice about something that had to do with Harry and he hurried towards Dumbledore Manor. He headed towards the child's room, almost afraid of what he would find. As he stepped in, he saw everything was broken, torn, and in a state of disaray.

"What the hell happened in here?" He asked out in shock as he turned to look at the man.

"Harry happened. His grief, exploded out of him," Sirius said as he kissed the top of the boy's unruly mop hair.

"Snape?" Harry asked out softly, as he heard a familiar voice.

"Yeah, he's here," Sirius said quietly, as he started to let go of the child. He didn't want Harry to rip away from him, he was already hurt as it was.

Harry held tighter to his godfather for a moment more before he let go. He made his way to his teacher, turning back once to find the usually fun man looking hurt and downtrodden. He knew this was his fault, but it couldn't really be helped right now, could it?

"I love you too ya know? He's just head of Slytherin, he knows how to help me," Harry told him softly, hoping the man would understand.

Sirius shrugged like he didn't care, as Harry basically chose Snape over him, in front of the man. He shook his head head slightly. "Yeah, I'll leave you guys too it," he said before he quickly left the room before his emotions could take over.

Harry watched him leave with a worried expression before he turned his red eyes to his Professor. "You said you would visit more, and you didn't. And I needed you," he said in an accusing tone.
Severus gave him an apologetic look. "I know, it's just I've been helping with the overseeing Hogwarts being rebuilt and checking up on my students, and delivering bad news. I just got caught up in everything," he told him seriously.

Harry's eyes refilled with tears as he shook his head sadly. "I know, I'm not one of your Slytherins, so I'm not that important. I get it," he sniffled out, as he turned his gaze away from the man. He shouldn't have asked for him. He should have just allowed Sirius to comfort him. At least he knew how how his godfather was feeling. He had rejected the man and put him second best, and Snape had done the same to him. It hurt really bad.

Severus looked at the boy sharply who he noticed was ignoring his attempt at eye contact. The child was radiating hurt, he could literally see it. "Harry?" He said quietly.

"It's cool, I'm sorry I got Sirius to disturb you. It won't happen again," he somehow managed to say before he made to go around the man as his tears started to fall. How stupid could he be? Stupid Gryffindor.

"You are just as important," Severus told him firmly as he grabbed his shoulder to stop him from leaving.

Harry made a small noise but didn't verbally reply. He needed out of here, before he started crying again.

"You are whether you believe it or not. I have a lot of Slytherins I care for, but I only have a few Gryffindors I hold close to my heart. You're even more special as you're Lily's son. You are perhaps my most important student," Severus said solemnly.

Not knowing how to reply to that, Harry threw himself at the man, pressing his face against the man's torso as he hugged him tightly. He finally allowed himself to relax against the man as the feelings he had felt over the past month and a half came pouring out. How could he ever be normal again? How did one go on? Especially after something like this, what was normal?

Severus held him tightly, quietly offering him reassurances but mostly, he was just there. He was aware that his presence alone was soothing the child, and grateful that Harry felt safe in his arms.

Meanwhile downstairs Sirius was sitting in an easy chair with a cup of tea in his hand, staring morosely at the fire. He felt tossed aside, and rejection was not a good feeling. He ran a hand agitatedly through his hair, sitting up slightly when he saw the floo flare. Knowing only certain people were keyed into the wards he didn't worry. He did however startle when he saw the person coming out the fireplace.

"Sirius!" Remus said in surprise, gently rubbing the child's shoulder who had hidden half behind him.
Sirius was giving the man he had considered his best friend a wary look. He had written the man numerous times but he hadn't yet gotten a response. What was he playing at?

"I'm sorry I haven't replied to your letter things have just been hectic," Remus said as he recognized the expression on his friend's face.

"If you're here for Albus, he isn't here," Sirius said quietly.

"I'm not here for him, I was with Severus when he got his Patronus and I was worried about Harry. I didn't know you'd be here, but its a great turn of events," he said with a smile.

"I'm sure, killed two birds with one stone," Sirius said solemnly.

Theo frowned as he looked up at his godfather. "Is he serious? Did he really kill two birds with a stone?"

Sirius chuckled before Remus could answer. "Why yes I am, I'm Sirius," he said in amusement.

Remus's smile brightened as he looked at his friend. "You haven't changed a bit," he said as he made his way over to hug the other man.

"You have, you got old Moony!" Sirius teased, as he glanced once more at the shy boy behind Remus. "Whose he?"

"That's my godson, Theodore Nott," Remus said giving Sirius a look that said they would talk later.

"Nice to meet you kiddo," Sirius said pleasantly. He knew better having spent so much time with Amanda that last names didn't mean anything. She was a Flint for Merlin's sake but she was still just a child.

"You too," Theo replied shyly as he looked around.

The moment was interrupted when Sirius heard Severus coming downstairs with a clean and happy faced Harry. He wasn't sure what all happened, but clearly the man knew how to help children. Still he didn't have to like it.

"Hi Harry, nice to see you're doing okay," Remus told him carefully.

Harry smiled shyly and nodded as he looked at the man. "Hi Theo," he said politely.

"Potter," Theo said quietly.

Harry frowned as he looked at his Professor. "My name is Harry," he mumbled out.
Sirius turned to look at the Slytherin boy. "No last names in here, that's Harry and you're Theo. Remus is my best friend and your godfather. Harry is my godson, you guys are going to be seeing a lot of each other," he said quietly.

Remus shared a look with Severus for a moment before turning back to his friend. "Yeah you changed. What happened to you?" He joked.

"I grew up, Azkaban will do that to a person," Sirius said softly.

Harry hugged his Professor before he wiggled to be set down and made his way to his godfather. He felt horrible about how he had just treated the man. "I'm sorry Sirius," he murmured out.

"It's not your fault kiddo," Sirius replied easily.

"As touching as this reunion is, I still have work to do. Black, thank you for calling me, clearly you have brains, I just wish you would use them more often then you do," Severus said as he made his way to the floo.

Harry frowned, and though he knew both men hated each other, he didn't have to like it. Why couldn't they all just be friends?

"Are you gonna come back soon?" Harry asked the man timidly.

"I am, I promise," he told the child firmly.

Sirius looked like he wanted to protest that, but a jab from Remus, and the happy expression on his godson's face had him staying silent. He shook his head ruefully, hoping the man didn't keep his promise.

Severus saw the other man's face and smugly gave the man a smirk as he bent down to give the child a hug. "Harry, if you need me at any time, you can just floo me. I don't care about the time," he told him.

"Okay," Harry said happily as he hugged the man tightly in response. He waved happily as the man got into the fireplace and flooed away. He turned his attention to the other boy, trying to get his attention.

Theo glanced in the direction of Potter. Truthfully he didn't mind not calling the boy by his last name. Technically that was started by Draco and it seemed so insignificant compared to everything else that had happened. "What?" He asked, when he caught the other boy's eye.

"Do you wanna see my room? Maybe go flying?" Harry asked hopefully. He had been without kids his own age for almost two months. Funerals didn't count, and neither did his godfather who was a big kid at heart.
"That's a good idea Harry, Theo go play. I'm staying right here with Sirius. We need to talk," Remus was quick to assure him.

Theo nodded slowly as he gave the man a long look. "Don't leave," he aid softly.

"I won't buddy," he promised firmly.

Sirius watched as both boys ran up the steps to Harry's room, hoping Snape had fixed it at least or the other kid would be in for a shock. "He's clingy," he murmured.

"Yeah he is. He's very attached at the moment, I saved him, that could be why. I don't truly know if I'm being honest. The doctor said it was because I'm consistent which is why he is really leaning on me," Remus said fondly.

"That makes sense, you were always anal about routine," Sirius said smiling in amusement.

"Oh hush you," Remus said grinning in return, as that had been the truth.

Sirius breathed a collective breath of relief a he realized nothing had changed between them. He smiled to himself as he lost himself in the conversation.

~*~*~*~*A Few days Later~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After his talk with Remus a few days ago, Sirius realized that he needed to put Harry's needs first. I mean if they were to live by themselves together, then he needed to not be so selfish. He had been there, witnessing how Harry reacted to Snape's presence and he hated it. He was very much aware in that moment that Snape wa probably going to be apart of Harry's life, and not just as his Professor. It was jealously and hatred fir the man but he didn't ant to share his godson.

This was his last link to James and he wasn't giving that up without a fight. Besides, he loved that boy as if he was his own son. He was sitting there in his chair brooding, Harry wasn't here at the moment. He was at Remus's house with Theo, after they had spoke with the boys they really seemed to click. Which was good, he only wished that Harry's best friend Ron would get better as well. That was taking a toll on the always trying to be strong child. He shook the thought away, feeling sorry for himself that he might have to share Harry. He frowned when the floo flared, he hadn't been expecting anyone but then again, this wasn't his house. He sighed loudly when he saw who it was.

"Albus isn't here, so leave," Sirius said snarkily.

Severus grimaced at the other man and shook his head. "I didn't come here for Albus, I came to see Harry," he told him.

"He's not here either," Sirius said with a smug expression. He would rather Harry be with Remus then Snape. "So leave,"

"In case you forgot this is Albus's house, and I am welcomed here anytime I want. And I have no such time limit. Who is Harry with?" Severus asked quietly.

"With someone I trust, that;s all you need to know. You're not his guardian. You have no such claim over him," he said, unable to help the smug tone that came out.

"Whatever Black, just tell Harry I came by," Severus told the man not wanting to go there today. He would have to come back to make sure Harry didn't think he wasn't keeping his promise.

"Right," Sirius said dryly but he had no intention of even doing that.

"I mean it, you care anything about your godson you will tell him that I was here," Severus hissed out.

"Don't tell me what to do, or if I care or not about Harry. I'm not a bloody child," Sirius said as his eyes narrowed dangerously.

"Then stop acting like one. You're acting like a jealous imbecile whose lost his favorite toy. Get over yourself, Harry is a child and clearly needs help that you aren't providing," Severus said darkly. "Useless idiot,"

"Oi! Who you calling an idiot, you greasy bat!" Sirius shouted out as his wand snapped into his hand.

"Oh yes please do, I've been waiting to do this for years," Severus said vindictively as his own wand slipped into his wand hand.

Sirius said nothing as he slashed his wand in the air, a non verbal cutting curse heading towards the man, watching in dismay as he lazily blocked it.

"Really Black, is that all you've got?" Severus said mockingly as he got into his stance as the fighting started, the duel was on.

~*~*~*~*Theo and Remus's house~*~*~*~*~

Harry was having a blast with Theo and Remus, and for a moment hen he played he forgot about everything else. His professor had promised that he would come by the house twice a week to to just talk with him, or just hang out and he was looking forward to it. Actually the man was supposed to visit today, and he was starting to get anxious, because even though he was having fun he didn't want to miss the man's visit. He didn't want to be a horrible guest so when Theo made another excuse to go back and see Remus(Sirius had explained why, and it didn't bother him) as he knew some people needed more comfort then others. Anyway he followed the boy back in return, finding the man in the kitchen, fixing a snack.

"Professor Lupin?" He asked timidly.

Remus smiled at the boy. "Harry again, we're not in school you can call me Remus," he told him encouragly.

Harry nodded, but inwardly he was shaking his head. That was just not happening, it was different then with Sirius who he still felt weird calling by his first name. It just felt disrespectful, especially considering how he was raised and manners were literally beat into him. He wouldn't be calling the man that.

"Um right. So um, I wanted to know if I could just pop in at the house? Because Professor Snape is coming by to see me today," he told the man quietly. He hoped the an didn't say no.

"That's fine actually cub, just floo back over if he's not. And if he is, just floo call us okay?" Remus told him good-naturedly.

"Okay," he chirped as he made to his way to the fireplace. Taking a breath, he calmly and clearly pronounced his location. "Dumbledore Manor," and disappeared into the green flames.

Harry landed on his backside, as he still hadn't got landing by floo down, but it turned out to be a good thing. As he felt and saw a spell fly over his head. It had a sickly yellow color to it, and it had him staying low as he pulled his wand out looking for the threat. The sitting room in the Manor was in shambles, and it looked like a war zone. Had someone broken in? Was Sirius okay? He was at a loss what to do?

He went to grab the floo powder intending on calling professor Lupin when he heard voices. His body relaxed when he recognized them, only they weren't the happy and neutral ones he knew. These tones of voices sounded angry, and dangerous and he was really scared. He had never heard them sound like this, what had happened? His heart leapt into his throat as he realized they weren't dueling like he was now being taught in school, this sounded serious.

"What the fuck Snape? That could have cut my head off!" Sirius was screaming.

"That was the intention," Severus said dryly. "Too bad you ducked,"

"You crazy son of a bitch," Sirius snarled out.

"Take that back, you inbred mutt," Severus said in return, his eyes glinting dangerously.
"Awww did I hurt someone's feeling by calling his mummy a bitch?" Sirius mocked childishly, his resemblance to Bellatrix evident in that moment.

Severus couldn't suppress a shudder at the mocking as he glared at the man. "At least my mum loved me, she didn't curse me trying to make me a better son," Severus said darkly.

Sirius swallowed thickly as he stared hatefully at the man across from him. "No that was your father's job if I recall correctly. Whose the ones whose boggart turned into dear ole daddy in 4th year?" Sirius taunted, giving it as good as he got it.

Severus didn't think at that remark, he let his wand to the talking, and the duel was back on. They didn't notice that they had company, to into the battle between each other. They didn't care at that moment, which frightened the already scared child to his core.

Harry felt hopeless and stuck. He could hear them yelling at each other, as they cursed one another. He had a hunch that they were fighting over him. But for the life of him he didn't know why. He loved them both, cherished them both and wanted them both in his life. Did they expect for him to choose? He gasped suddenly and flattened himself to the floor, as a angry red light came his way. He covered his head protectively as it hit the chair behind him and caused it to explode. He was afraid for his life, he couldn't even get to the safety of the floo as that required him to stand up and grab the floo powder, which put him in the line of fire.

He tried not to cry, but this was too much for the already emotional 13 year old. How was he surprised to get out of this? He swallowed thickly as his Gryffindor courage suddenly sprung to mind. He could get up and go stand in the middle and tell them to stop. Would they curse him? At the point, he didn't know. They might, and he wasn't s eagered to find out, but he really didn't have a choice. Bracing himself, he forced himself to calm feeling stupid for what he as about to do.

With tear stained cheeks, the small 13 year old forced himself to his feet, wand held shakily in his hand out as if to protect him. But honestly against two grown wizards he didn't stand a chance. Nodding to himself before he lost his nerve he hurried to where he could see the fighting had moved too. He jumped over overturn furniture and dodged stray spells trying not to get hurt. This was the stupidest idea ever! Taking a deep breath he ran head first into the battle between the two men, eye's wide as he saw two bursts of lights coming at him.

He screamed loudly in his fear, effectively startling the two men and causing his accidental magic to flare up and create a protective bubble around him as well as bursting the windows as he did so. He curled into himself, and felt to the floor, shaking profusely, as he mentally made sure that he was unhurt and okay. At least for the moment, the only sound in the room, was his harsh breathing as the men had finally stopped. He didn't see it, but Sirius and Severus's face were etched in horror as they looked at the child. Had they hit him? How hadn't they seen him come in? Further more what the hell had they been thinking?

Harry gulped tearfully as his heart finally started to slow down. "Why are you fighting?" He choked out unable to stop the gut wrenching sob of despair that all but exploded out of him.

"Oh fuck. Harry, you never run in between two people in a duel, ever," Sirius told him seriously as he stared at the prone form of his godson.

"But you guys wouldn't stop fighting," he wailed.

"As loathe as I am to admit it, Black is correct. That was stupid and irresponsible you could have been seriously hurt," Severus reprimanded him.

Harry visibly bristled at that, as he sniffled hard, making himself rein in his tears. He would cry later, but for now he needed to set the record straight.

"In case your forgot this is all your stupid faults! I'm not the one fighting like I'm a child messing up someone elses house! You both couldv'e killed me, and for what, because you're jealous of the affection I have for both of you?! Well you can just stop right there, I don't care how much you hate each other, I love you both. I don't love one more then the other, but the same as if I loved my parents!" Harry screamed out.

"I wasn't fighting over you," Severus started out gently.

"Yes you were! You both were. I see the way you glare at each other when you think I'm not looking. I know you hate each other, I heard you for ten minutes when I flooed over, cursing and everything! Why can't I have you both?" He asked brokenly, his rant over making way for his tears again.

"Hey kiddo it's okay," Sirius said lightly, trying to diffuse the tears.

"It's not okay, and you know it. Don't I deserve to have you both? Haven't I been a good enough boy for that?" He asked tearfully as he looked between the now silent men.

"Of course you have Harry," Severus told him firmly.

"Then you don't deserve me, if I'm such a good boy you wouldn't do this. I don't want either of you anymore," Harry breathed out tearfully before he ran out of the room and up the stairs to his own.

They watched him run away silently, knowing he didn't want to be bothered by either of them at the moment. They had never meant to hurt Harry in this way, and each man as dealing with his own line of guilt for making that special child suffer even more.

Sirius fell into the chair, his wand clattering to the floor as he did but he couldn't find it in him to care at this point. They were grown men, what the hell were they doing fighting like that? And in front of an impressionable 13 year old to boot, they should be ashamed of themselves. He glanced over at the Slytherin who was staring at the wall to the side of his head and he shook his own head.

If Albus had of been home now they would be in for it, they had acted as if they were mere school boys and the old man would have punished them as such. As if they had no kind of sense. He knew what he had to do, the problem was he didn't want to do it. He didn't want to be the bigger person, but unless he wanted to lose his godson again he knew he had too. Because for some strange reason Harry loved Snape too.

"Snape, look. We both love that kid and fighting over him isn't doing either of us any favors. I know you hate me, and that's fine. I used to hate you in return, but I don't anymore," Sirius told him with a sigh. It was true, his hatred for Snape had stopped the minute he'd seen the Slytherin with Harry that day. He knew the only reason that Pettigrew didn't escape was because Snape was a thorough man, and he owed him.

"What the hell are you trying to pull Black?" Severus asked carefully, his dark eyes flicking over the Gryffindor.

"I'm not trying to pull anything, I just don't want to lose my godson, not after I just got him back. I love that kid to death and he loves us in the same regard and I'm not going to be selfish anymore," Sirius said as he blew out a breath. Man had that been hard to say.

"So what are you trying to say?" Severus said his eyes narrowing at the man's words. He wasn't sure if this was a trick or not. After all one couldn't be too careful when they were dealing with a Black.

"That I'm sorry for my behavior towards you all these years and now. I'm not the same person I was back in school, and Harry will never be James. I know this apology won't magically erase years of hatred but it's a step. I don't want to lose that little boy in there, he deserves the world. And I will give it to him in any form it takes because he deserves it. He wants you, so I will let him have you too," Sirius said before he stood up and walked towards the window as his emotions got the better of him.

Severus was floored for a moment unable to believe what he was hearing but at the same time he wasn't surprised. Harry had made it very clear that he wouldn't choose between them. He would rather have no one then pick between him and Black. It meant the world to know that he was held in that same regard as the child's chosen godfather and it had some effect on the usually dour man.

"I apologize as well, the hatred is...was mutual. For Harry, I would like a new start as well. No more name calling, no more biased and blatant lies, and no more hexes. Harry could have gotten hurt earlier today in our carelessness," Severus said quietly.

"I know, I was thinking the same thing. I knew if Albus had of been here we would have been dead," Sirius said with a weak chuckle.

"How is this going to work then? As you said earlier I have no claim over Harry. If something were to happen, I would be powerless to do anything," Severus said unable to hide the bitter tone.

"Not yet no, but you will. Harry needs a loving home, but he also needs structure and I can admit that I cannot provide that. Remus would be the ideal choice, but he's a bit tied up with Theodore now, so you see therein lies the problem," Sirius said with a slight shrug, as he gave the man an apologetic look.

"I see," Severus said slowly, refusing to believe what Black had just maybe said he was going to do.

"I'll go today and set up to where we have joint custody of Harry," Sirius said bluntly as Snape was giving him a look of disbelief. "Like I said, Harry deserves the world, and he wants you in his life and he will have it. If something were to happen to me you would have full custody, and vice versa," he explained.

Severus nodded, they would need to talk about this in a bit more depth but the sooner they took care of the paperwork the better. Harry needed to see the proof, he was a Slytherin at heart and he knew from his childhood that words were meaningless.

"I'll call in a favor from Flint, he'll see to it," Sirius was telling him.

Severus gave the man a wary look. "Flint?"

"Yeah, Amanda is actually my niece twice removed or something like that. We looked into the family trees, and anyway, the kid adores me," Sirius said with a smile.

"Purebloods," Severus said with a face.

"Yeah well, I didn't choose to be born one, I just was. But anyway, he;ll get a rush order on the paperwork and by the end of the week, we'll have joint custody," Sirius was finishing.

Severus sighed, but this was better then Black having full custody at least he would be a stable part of Harry's life. "Good, now how are we going to fix the blunder we made with Harry?"

"I don't know, I think we need to give him time," Sirius said honestly.

"Hmm, actually that's a good idea. And when the paperwork come in, we'll show him then. That way he knows that he doesn't have to choose between us," Severus said, he would give the world for Harry. Sirius had been right, Harry came first, always had been and always would be from now on. He nodded to himself, hoping the little boy would find it in his heart to forgive them, they had made a right mes of things.

Sirius was nodding, as he looked to the man wearily. "The only problem now, is where exactly are we going to live?" He muttered out.

Severus shook his head, as he leaned back in his chair, that was a question for another day. Right now though, he needed to work on just how he was getting back into the good graces of Lily's son.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review, they make me feel all nice and fuzzy on the inside. This beast took ages to finish, so I hope it's appreciated.