Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm sorry about the legit grief from last chapter, but it had a reason for it being here. Not alot of Harry and Sev bonding thats next chapter. This story is winding on down, and I thank you guys for coming along on this bumpy ride.
Chapter 18: Sometimes Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds

Severus turned back to look at the child before he rushed out of the infirmary. He intended to go straight to his quarters but his feet led him back up the stairs and to the classroom they had found Draco in. He wanted to make sure this room was off limits, not that he figured any student would come up here.

 He sighed as he walked inside the classroom and looked around, noticing for the first time a notebook on the floor. He recognized the bindings on it, knowing that it was Draco's. He slipped in his robe pocket before he gave it one last look before he spelled the room locked, so that only he could unlock it. Taking another breath his face carefully blank he stalked down the corridors to his quarters.

Severus only allowed his body to relax once the door had closed and he gave a sad sigh. His hand running through his hair silently; he had failed yet another child. How many more would slip through the cracks? He had been grieving as well as everyone else not to mention making sure all the children were okay. But how had he not seen Draco? How in Merlin did he not notice the boy declining? And now it was too late, all he had left was the boy's journal, maybe it would explain why. Why did the boy do this? He took a breath before he opened up the book and started reading.

Draco's Journal Entries.

Journal Entry #1 First Day Back:

I don't know why I decided to do this, but it seemed like the lesser of two evils. Hogwarts is back in session after 2 months of being closed. I didn't want to come back but mum said I had to finish my schooling. I wish I could transfer. Being back here the memories are threatening to overwhelm me. The headmaster says that everyone here is in need of some type of counseling after our ordeal and at least once a week all the students are required to see a mind healer. However if you are uncomfortable with that, we were told that we could use a journal for now and visit the healer at a later date. As you can see I opted to use this method. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. I'm putting you away for now, dinner is about to be served.

Entry#2 Week 1-Tuesday

Theo had a panic attack last night, after walking into the Slytherin Common room, and pointing out that he was standing on the spot that Greg had died. It was horrifying to see, and I was at a loss at what to do. I stared along with everyone in the common room until Professors Snape and Lupin rushed in. I was surprised that Theo ran straight into the Gryffindor's arm and they disappeared out the common room. It was really weird, and I've tried to ignore the fact that 2 beds in our dorm room are empty. I can't think about that, I'm done for today.

Entry #3 Week 2-Monday

Everyone is more or less walking around like zombies the majority of the time. In the Great Hall, when everyone is there for lunch or dinner, it's silent. Almost like everyone is afraid to smile, like how can we smile when some of their friend's can't because they're no longer alive? I found myself looking over at the Gryffindor table today and I saw that they were minus a Weasely still, and I wonder when the Head boy will be back.

Speaking of which, what are they going to do about the head girl Position? I had found out she had died saving Thomas during that fateful day. It was weird to see him without the Irish boy. It's weird seeing a lot of people without their friends, knowing what happened. The Gryffindor Trio seems to be the only one unaffected. Well maybe that's not true, Weasely...uh Ron that is, isn't so bad if I can admit that. He doesn't talk at all anymore, but I do find him looking at me every so often. The first time we made eye contact, I sneered at him out of habit and his eyes turned from their blank state to a look of disbelief. But before I could blink the blank look was back. What did this mean? I miss my rival, I don't think I hate him anymore, I don't think I hate anyone anymore.

 

Entry #4 Week 3

I saw Fred the other day, and I had to pinch myself to stop from rushing over to him. I hadn't forgotten how he had treated me in the Headmaster's office. How he left me? Like I wasn't worth the comfort, and he was right I had my own family. I would give anything to have the love that he has in his big family. They aren't afraid of giving hugs, the only hugs I receive are from my mum and only when my father isn't there to witness it.

He doesn't care about me; I'm only the heir to the Malfoy house, some days I wish I hadn't been born a pureblood. I would give all of that up, just to get the love that the Weasleys had. I can't believe that I had taunted them about that? How stupid could I be? I was jealous, still am actually. I wish that was my family, I wish I was loved like that. I should stop this train of thought, I'm old enough to know that wishes don't come true, especially mine.

I've noticed that everyone who had stayed behind that day seems to suffer from something, well except Blaise. I think he's used to death, given that the fact that his mother is the Notorious Black Widow. All of her husband's mysteriously ended up dead, that's a bit creepy if you ask me. Everyone knows she did it, they just have no proof. Oh yeah another thing, I think something is wrong with Weasely, Ron that is. Besides the fact that he doesn't talk, he doesn't really eat or do much of anything anymore it. It's like all the life in him is gone, it's weird. Everyone's changed, some of us not for the better.

Entry #5 Week 4

Why doesn't anyone notice? My mask can't be that good, is no one looking at me? Why can't they see me?? I walked out class today, and bumped into Longbottom. He's changed; he's different then before the incident. I can see the air of confidence he has gotten, and goes around regardless of your house to see if you are alright.  When we bumped into each other, he apologized without stuttering. I had to look away, because his eyes felt like they were looking right through me. I wish he would've noticed me but at the same time and I was scared too. Why can't I be normal? Why did I live and they didn't? Why did I come up with that stupid plan? Why me? I don't deserve this; I don't deserve to be alive.

Entry #6 Week 5

Sorry about that depressing entry up above, my emotions got the better of me last week. They're getting harder to control, and last week it was especially bad because someone had came up with the idea to put up a memorial in front of Hogwarts for the students and friends we all lost. I think it's a good idea; it just threw me for a loop I guess.

I was surprised and I didn't like it. I saw Harry the other day, he's gotten quiet too, he often has this thoughtful expression on his face and Snape is still different when he's with him. Actually the man is different in general, he no longer barks at us in class. He's still strict but he's not cruel anymore, it's like he knows that everyone is fragile and just barely hanging on. Oh yeah, another thing happened today, Pansy transferred schools, she goes to Beaubaxtons now. She said she couldn't be here anymore, I find myself strangely missing her because she was still one of my friends even if she tended to cling to me. I wish I could switch schools too.

Entry #6 Week 6

Sirius Black was declared innocent, they showed it in the paper. I could still hear the Gryffindor cheers about that. Strangely though, Harry didn't look as happy as he should have, given the fact that everyone knows that's his godfather. I've taken to hiding in an abandoned classroom as I don't wish to be found. More and more people are deciding to take an interest in me.

Just the other day I was approached by Longbottom again, and then the Headmaster of all people, what's his agenda? He must want something, he didn't want me to go home and see my mum on the horrific day. Just because it doesn't seem like I cry, it's a problem. I cried my share of tears; when I had to go to back to back funerals for all my friends. I will cry no more. Why waste those tears? I don't deserve to feel better, I did this and I will suffer since they are no longer alive. Greg and Vince, I'm so sorry.

Entry #7 Week 7- Monday

Fred followed me around today, I don't understand the boy at all. I ran to get away from him, and I thought I lost him when he reappeared from a blank wall? He cornered me and pulled me into a hug in the middle of the corridor after lunch. No one said anything no teasing, no curses, nothing, but I know they all saw us. I didn't understand it at the time, and if I'm being honest I still don't.

I felt safe, almost like I had like big brother who cared for me, but then when he pulled away I saw his hair and remembered that he wasn't mine to keep. He says no one else can see, but he can, and he thinks I'm spiraling out of control. I'm in control, I know I am. Why would he say that? I know I'm in control, I'm alive when they aren't, and how does one come back from that? How do I deal with this intense pain on the inside, my heart feels broken, how do I fix it? Do I want too?

Entry #8 Week 7- Wednesday

Bloody Weasely, he cornered me again today as if the other day wasn't enough. But I found myself not pulling away again; I think I might even cherish the hugs. Is that so wrong that I'm starting to look forward to the next one? He notices me when no one else does. He told me I was depressed and that he had to keep an eye on me to stop me from doing something stupid. I was so pissed at that, how dare he? What gave him the right?

I was so angry with him, and I wanted to punch him, and he told me I could. That shocked me the most, why would he say that? I thought it was a trick so I didn't hit him, and he hugged me again. His hugs remind of my mum's, and they make me want to cry. He said crying is the first stepped to healing. I want to heal, but I don't think it's fair. I should suffer right? I'm doubting myself, he's making me doubt myself but a part of me, knows that he's right.

Entry #9 Week 7- Friday

Wow, 3 entries in one week, I feel kind of proud, it's Fred's fault, and Harry's. The Gryffindor golden boy tagged along and I found myself getting a hug from him too. Interesting enough he does not like being called Potter, and I'm not about to anger my head of house by picking a fight with him over that. Matter fact, I don't have the will anymore to fight over stupid things.

I think some things are starting to get back to normal for most people, but not those who were heavily affected by this tragedy. Theo hasn't been staying in the dorms, I found out that he's staying with Professor Lupin, I thought that was against the rules. Apparently his Dad made the man his godfather, I still can't believe it.  That is a shock to me, given who the Notts were, but I guess people can change. And besides Theo's last Godfather was killed in the first war, so this could be good for him.

Entry #10 Week 8-Tuesday

Percy Weasely was here today, in a wheelchair, I almost didn't recognize him. He looked nothing like the pompous boy from 2 months ago. He had no legs, and his face was drawn and he looked so pale and fragile and sick. It seemed like there was no life in him at first, and when I saw it took my breath away. I found myself yet again in the corridor hugging tightly to Fred, this time though I think I was comforting him, I can't be sure though. When we left I apparently left my book, as the next thing I know Fred was waltzing into the Slytherin Common room to give it back to me. Why would he do that? And furthermore, how did he even know the password?

Entry #11 Week 8- Friday

The nerve of that old man! The headmaster really is barmy he tried to make me see a healer even though I chose the journal method. And then he wanted me to show them what I wrote. No chance in hell, this is private. That stupid healer said he didn't need to see what I wrote, since it was written all over my face. He says I suffer from Survivors guilt. What the hell? I realize that he might be right; I'm guilty of being alive when I know I should be dead. Greg and Vince would be here still if I hadn't of suggested that we hide in the trunk. I'm so stupid...so stupid.

Entry #12 Week 9

I don't want to write this week, my heart hurts. Sometimes I really do hate my father.

Entry #13 Week 10

I don't want to be here anymore, I can't be who they want me to be. Father thinks I should suck it up and that I should be pass all of this. I'm only 13, I'm not perfect and I'm not fixed. I'm broken, and he hates me for it. I think he hates me in general, I hate myself too. Why can't he hug me? Why can't he love me for me? Does he even love me?

Entry #14 Week 11

I've been avoiding Fred, since my father visited Hogwarts; I never realized just how cruel my father was. Doesn't he think how his words affect people? What have I done to him? I don't want to think about it. I'm hiding in alcove at the moment, as Fred has access to the Slytherin common room and I'm hiding from him. I don't want to get that knowing look; it's like he knows me better than I do myself at times. I don't understand. Crap, he found me; I'm done for today anyway.

Entry #15 Week 12

I've only just noticed that when I see Fred he's without his twin, I asked him about that one day and he pointed out that George was with Ron. I knew something was wrong with Weasely otherwise why would he need a minder? It's gotta be serious but I had to think about it as well. Are we really that similar? I don't know what happened today, one minute I was fine and eating dinner at the Slytherin table and then the next thing I know dessert popped up, and someone elbowed me trying to get a treacle tart.

I thought it was Greg or Vincent as they used to do that, and I turned around and was like; "Greg watch it, it's not going to run away," only to find it was Blaize and he was staring at me with a sad look and suddenly I couldn't breathe. I got up and ran out the Great Hall, only to hear feet behind me. I was pulling my wand out to curse whoever it was when I felt someone engulf me into a hug, and tell me to stop running.

I think he meant more than just at that moment, I couldn't be sure, but I didn't fight him. Why would I fight the only other person to give me comfort? I found myself crying into his torso for the first time, and I didn't care that we were in the middle of the hallway. I wasn't alone. Fred was there, he's always there.

Entry #16 Week 13

I didn't feel like getting out of bed today, I don't feel like writing and I didn't feel going to class today so I didn't. I spent the day in the abandoned classroom that I found; my thoughts have been a bit darker today. I can't control them, I don't understand why. Some days I can forget, and other days like now, I cannot. I wish I couldn't think anymore. I can't write anymore today, my thoughts are getting more and darker and in turn dangerous. I'm scared.

Entry #17 Week 14

I haven't seen Fred in over two weeks, It feels like my heart is cracking on the inside and I find myself searching everywhere for him. I feel like I'm on the outside looking in, I don't even fit in my group of friends anymore. How can I, when two of them are dead and one of them switched schools? Where is he? With him not here, I don't feel like smiling anymore, what's the point right?

 Entry #18 Week 15- Sunday

So I found out that the whole Weasely clan had been pulled out of school as Percy had been going through some type of depression, and he needed the support of all his family. Fred's back though and the first thing he did was come to me.  This is the happiest I've felt in two weeks, which is saying something.

It's a good thing no one can see behind the Malfoy Mask, as they wouldn't have known what to do with me these past few weeks. At Breakfast today Fred told me that he wanted to talk to me, in private and that it was important. I wonder what it is. Surprisingly I find myself excited, is it strange that excitement feels like a foreign emotion to me right now? I can't wait until Wednesday.

 Entry #19 Week 15- Wednesday 12:03pm

I wonder where Fred is, he said to meet just outside the library at lunch time. Oh well, I can write while I'm waiting patiently, he can be late it's no big deal. Maybe he just ate, or is with his twin or something.

20 minutes have passed and I'm still here, he's still not here, is he not gonna come? Was this all just some joke, I'll wait a little bit longer something probably did come up. He would never stand me up I know he wouldn't, would he?

Entry #20 Week 15- Wednesday 1:00pm

I finally moved from in front of the library, I didn't like the sympathetic look Madam Pince was giving me. Which was odd in itself as she never cares about anything but her books. Fred didn't show up, and you know what I don't care. Who cares about him, I don't know. I was so stupid; I knew I should not have trusted him. Everyone always hurts you in the end. I hate him, I hate him so much. Damn it, stupid tears, messing up the bloody ink, argh!  I don't hate him, not really. Maybe he just forgot about me, it happens right? But I needed to talk to him, I got a letter from Father today and I wanted to discuss it with him. What do I do?

Entry #21 Week 15- Thursday 3:00pm

I skipped class again today, it can't make myself care. I didn't eat breakfast in the Great hall, I didn't want to see Fred and I didn't sleep in my dorm. I just want to go away forever. No one would notice, not really. The pain is too much for me to handle, its suffocating me. I can't do this anymore, and I don't want too. Who would want to live this way?  Why would you want to willingly put yourself though this much agony?

Since no one is looking for me, I'll end it now.  I tried so hard to be better, but I'll never be good enough for anyone. My father won't stop seeing a failure and everyone else won't stop seeing my father in me. I'm Draco, not Lucius, and I'll never be like him. Fred saw, and Harry saw, and for them I'm sorry, but I have to do this.

Entry #22 Week 15-Thursday 5:00pm

This will be my last entry; I don't know what to write, or what to say.  At the moment I'm currently sitting here in the classroom with some rope on the floor in front of me that I had found. It was weird as I was coming to the abandoned classroom I found some secret room and it had a bunch of rope in it. I couldn't stop myself from grabbing one, but when I had it in my hand I felt alright. I feel so helpless, but now isn't the time to talk about that. I need to shed some light on a few things. I just want Fred to know this was in no way his fault. And that I'm sorry, I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough to keep fighting.

I'm not a Gryffindor, never will be one, and so I can't be brave. I'm so scared right now; I'm wishing that someone, anyone would burst through the door and find me.  But I know they won't, because I have no one. So I'm ridding this world of me, they're will be one less Malfoy to fuck up everything. A 13 year old coward, whose father is ashamed of him, where would I have fit in anyway? Where I'm going none of that matters, and who knows. Maybe I'll get to see Greg and Vince too? And Finnegan, I'll tell him that Thomas really misses him.

 I wonder if anyone will miss me. Probably not, how could they miss me when I was already gone? They didn't notice me then, so they won't notice now. Mum, I love you more than anything in the world and I'm sorry for leaving you with father but I can't do it anymore. Don't blame yourself; it's not your fault either. I just wish I was strong enough.

 Severus said nothing as he put the journal down, reining in his emotions. He was grateful that he was alone at the moment, as Harry would no doubt be worried if he could see him right now. It was all he could do not break down and sob right there. The things the child had been feeling, he prided himself on knowing his snakes. How hadn't he known?

He got up and paced his quarters for a moment knowing it was his job to inform the boy's parents. Merlin, Narcissa was going to be so heartbroken. He gritted his teeth, but he needed her to know first before Albus told the children tomorrow and they were owling their parents. He nodded to himself before he went over to the fireplace and tossed some floo in, waiting until it flared green before he stuck his head in.

"Lucius," he said in a greeting as he saw the man in his study.

"Severus, to what do I owe this pleasure?" The blonde hair man asked curiously, wondering if he had missed a meeting of some sort.

"I need to speak to you and Narcissa as soon as possible, something's happened at Hogwarts," Severus told him quietly.

"Floo over Severus, I'll get her," Lucius said as a feeling of dread settled in the pit of his stomach.

Severus nodded and pulled his head out the fireplace before he flooed to the Malfoy study. He knew his old friend was as cruel as they come, and ruthless as much as he could be. But at the same time, underneath all of that Lucius did love his son. He just didn't show it, given how he himself was raised. He knew the man would take the news hard, about Draco's death what father wouldn't? He could really use a drink that was for sure, but he waited silently until both Malfoy's appeared.

"Severus? What is it? What's happened? Is it Draco?" Narcissa asked worriedly as she made her way to her friend.

"Yes, we should sit down," he said guiding her to the sofa. The last thing he wanted was the poor woman to pass out from the news. He kept his face emotionless, not allowing the grief to rip him apart. They deserved to know the whole story, and not just 'Draco's dead'. Contrary to popular belief he did know a bit about tact.

"Now what is it? What happened with Draco?" She pressed grabbing the man's hands tightly in hers.

"About an hour ago, one of the students made a grisly discovery in an abandoned classroom on the 8th floor," he started out.

"What did they find?" Lucius asked quietly.

"Another student's body, they had hung themselves," he said gently, feeling the grip on his hand tightened but he made no reaction at the pain it caused.

"Draco made the discovery?" Narcissa asked hopefully even though her eyes filled with tears as she knew in her heart that he was the child in the classroom.

"No, that was Fred Weasely," Severus told her knowing she would know the significance of that. He knew Draco wrote his mother every week.

"Oh my Merlin," she breathed out her hand coming to grasp at her heart as she bent her head and silently cried.

"So you're telling me that today my son killed himself?" Lucius spat out angrily, trying hard to suppress the grief that he felt building up in him.

"Yes Lucius," he replied gently his eyes hard as they bore into the mans.

"I can't be here, I need to go make the arrangements then," he hissed out as walked with his cane towards the door.

"Lucius, how can you just stand there and pretend you don't care? Our son is dead," Narcissa cried out.

"You don't think I know that!" He growled out as he made his way to the doorway, leaning heavily on his cane for once as he disappeared down the hall.

"I will be right back Narcissa," Severus told her kindly as he snapped his fingers for a house elf to watch her before he quickly followed Lucius who he could see was making his way up the stairs. He had a hunch to where he thought the man was going and he was proven right when he saw him go into Draco's room.

Severus stood in the doorway as the man himself stopped in the middle of the room. He was all set to call out to the blonde man when he heard it. It was soft sob, and he knew he wasn't meant to hear it but at the same time he couldn't leave his friend alone.

"Lucius," he breathed out softly.

"Leave me Severus," Lucius whispered out, trying to get control of his grief.

"No, not at this moment. I'm not going anywhere," Severus told him firmly.

"Narcissa shouldn't be alone," Lucius pointed out quietly.

"Neither should you," was the man's reply.

"My son died today," he breathed out tearfully, ignoring the turn of the conversation. Saying it out loud made it real, and he didn't like it.

"I know," he replied gently as he made his way to the man. "It's going to be fine,"

 "How do you even know that? My son is dead, and you know what else? What hurts the most? I don't even think he knew I loved him," he admitted brokenly as he allowed his grief to overtake his self control.

Lucius cried hard in earnest, finding himself pulled into his friend's chest. It had a been a while since he had been comforted like this, but he found himself gaining no such comfort, because in the end, Draco was still dead and it was all his fault.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning came much too soon for Severus, he had spent the majority of the night drinking with Lucius. In his grief and his drunkenness, Lucius had some loose lips so to speak. He had learned quite a lot but he would be keeping those things to himself for the time being. At the moment, they had others things to do. Lucius was planning to start the arrangements and he knew that at breakfast today the children would all be informed.

He knew immediately that they were going to be having a quick staff meeting and he got dressed and drank a Pepper Up potion before he made his way to the staff room. He said nothing as he walked inside the room, ignoring the curious glances from the other Professor's they would know in a little bit anyway. Severus took a seat heavily, making sure his masks were in check.

He needed to hold it in together; Merlin knew someone had to be strong for the children. Thankfully Albus arrived a few moments after him, and he noted the old man's eyes were devoid of it's trademark twinkle. Severus wasn't the only one to catch sight of that, and the chatter that had been in the staff room quickly ceased as they turned to the Headmaster.

It was Minerva who seemed to voice the question that those not in the know wanted to know. "Albus, what has happened?" She asked softly.

"Last night a student took their own life," Albus started off quietly, as there was no need to raise his voice, the room was so quiet one could hear a pin drop.

"Who?" The Gryffindor Head of House breathed out softly. She cared for all of her students and she knew whoever it was that their Head of House would be feeling the most pain. She wanted to be there for her fellow witch or wizard.

"A Slytherin, I'm sure you are all aware of one Draco Malfoy?" Albus replied, he wasn't beating around the bush. There was no need, he knew in only an hour or so he would need to give this exact same speech to the students. And he really wasn't looking forward to this.

Severus curled his hands into fists as he felt everyone turn their heads seemingly as one in his direction. He didn't need to look at their pitying expressions. He didn't want to show his guilt at how he had failed yet another person. How on earth did he think that he would be here for Harry if students kept dying on his watch?

"How did the lad do it? There are protections over Hogwarts for just that thing," Flitwick pointed out in surprise.

"He used a muggle way, regrettably there was no magic to alert us of any ill intent and so we had no idea. He was found by a fellow student and until further notice Fred Weasely will not be attending Hogwarts," he added.

 

"Mr. Weasely found him?" Minerva gasped out, as she slumped in her seat in defeat. Couldn't the Weasely family just catch a small break for once?

"Indeed, it was his twin who alerted both Severus and Sirius of that fact," Albus answered softly.

"I need to speak with the Minister but we will break the news to the students at breakfast. I'm not sure how they will all take this recent tragedy on top of everything else," he admitted.

Severus swallowed thickly sensing the meeting nearly at it's end. He wouldn't stay until the very end, not wanting to be bombarding with questions. He was still beating himself up about it. How in the hell hadn't he seen? He gasped out suddenly as wave of grief tried to overtake him yet again.

"Severus?" Minerva called out worriedly as she looked at her younger colleague in alarm.

"I'm alright," he lied softly as he stood up and hurried out of the room. He could not afford to be weak at this time; his students would be counting on him to be strong for them when they could not be.

Albus watched his potion's Master go, his heart breaking for the man and for his fallen student. He was supposed to be all knowing, how hadn't he known about this?

~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&

Harry woke up the next morning with a sense of dread in his heart. Ron and he had waited for George to come back with Fred but they hadn't appeared. And when he had asked the twins year mates the boys had told them that they hadn't returned to the dorms to sleep. He was starting to feel worried; he hoped nothing bad had happened to them.

 He turned to look towards Ron who was methodically grabbing his book bag. He wanted to hurry up and make it to the Great Hall so he could see the twins. If they had pulled a prank he knew that they would want to be there to see it and so he could talk to them then.

When they entered the Great Hall, Harry noted in disappointment that the red headed twins weren't there, and when he looked up at the staff table he saw that Sirius wasn't there either. His gaze immediately fell on the Potion's Master's face and he frowned once he caught a look on the man's face.

His Professor's eyes looked like he had looked when the lava had hit Hogwarts. He gulped softly leaving Ron at the table before he hurried over to the staff table. He needed to know what was wrong, or his swore his heart was going to come out of his chest from the stress.

"Professor what's the matter? Where's Sirius?" Harry asked softly once he was at the man.

"He had a family emergency," Severus replied softly.

"I thought he didn't have that much family anymore?" Harry asked skeptically.

"Harry just go wait with your house," Severus told him gently.

"I don't want to wait with them, I wanna know what's wrong with you," Harry replied frowning as he looked at the man.

"The Headmaster will enlighten the students of the situation momentarily," Severus said as he took a quiet sip of his tea. His thoughts were trying to get the better of them and he turned to look at the Slytherin table in dismay. The halls had filled up and he knew it was only a moment before Albus would break the news. Unable to help himself he reached for the child in front of him and set him on his lap.

"Professor," Harry whispered out softly, as he suddenly got very afraid in that moment. Something serious was wrong especially if the man was willingly holding him. He grabbed the man's hand tight in his and shut his eyes. He was positive he didn't want to hear whatever this news might be.

Severus was surprised when the breakfast dishes appeared and he looked at his mentor questioningly unsure of why the man was prolonging it. That would make it worst in the end, he sighed before he set Harry in Sirius's empty chair next to him. He knew that the man had gone to the Malfoy's despite the way he felt about Lucius.

The man was there for Narcissa and he couldn't fault Black for that. He ignored the emerald gaze of the child next to him; he couldn't break the news to Harry. He knew that the child in question had been befriending his Slytherin and this made it all the more harder.  Finally he could see that the children were finishing up and he slid his plate away, pulling his arm around the child and bringing him closer to him.

"Are we gonna find out the news now?" Harry asked softly as he leaned against the man once more.

"Yes," Severus murmured out quietly in return.

Albus stood up once the last of the breakfast dishes had cleared, clearing his throat and gaining the attention of the students. He didn't want to do this, but it needed to be done. He only hoped that no more children would slip through the cracks.

"May I have your attention please?" He called out, noting that the hall went silent only a moment or two after he spoken. He shook his head sadly as he looked at them, knowing they had gained a sense of normalcy these past two months that were just about to get shattered yet again. But there was nothing he could do for that.

"I have some bad news to tell you. It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that one of your peers died last night," he stated as delicately as possible, even as the whispers started. He could see them turning around frantically trying to see who wasn't there and he shook his head again.

"Draco Malfoy died last night after hanging himself, and by the time anyone had found him it was too late to do anything. He was gone, and I know this comes as a shock to you all given what we've already suffered. But I tell you now if the urge to hurt yourself ever comes up tell someone. We want to help you. We couldn't help Draco and I will regret that for the rest of my life but we can help you," he stated gently.

Harry was staring wide eyed as he turned to stare at the Slytherin table to make sure the old man wasn't lying. He didn't see the blonde teen and his heart fell into his stomach, and he felt sick. He was up on his feet before he could think, craning his neck around the Great Hall in denial. This had to be one sick joke right? He had only just seen the blonde teen yesterday, surely this was all some kind of mistake.

"Draco!" He called out, his voice silencing the Great hall in an instant. He was too distraught to be embarrassed at that fact.

 

"Harry, he's not...Draco's not here," Severus stated gently as he too scooted his chair out. He wasn't sure what his charge was going to do, but before anyone Harry came first and he was going to help him.

Harry shook his head hard for a moment feeling like he rattled his brains but he didn't care. He shuffled away from the staff table, ignoring the way everyone's eyes were on him. This wasn't knew he was used to everyone looking at him every which way. He swallowed thickly as he pushed past his guardian before he took off and for the Great Hall doors, he couldn't be in here. How did he not see that all wasn't fine with his friend? Had he really been so caught up in himself that he didn't notice anything?

Severus swore when Harry took off at a run, he should have been expecting that. He stood up quickly; turning to the wolf for a moment who he saw was getting up and heading to the Slytherin table. He knew the man was going to comfort his godson and Severus needed the man to do a favor for him while he went to take care of something with his ward. He wouldn't allow Harry to get the thought that this was somehow his fault into that little head of his. He would not fail that child anymore he had made a promise.

"Lupin watch my Slytherins for a moment, I need to find Harry," Severus told him before he hurried out of the great hall and went to find his wayward charge. He didn't hear the man's reply knowing that one of the staff would assist his snakes when he couldn't. He just needed to find his Gryffindor child before the boy ended up doing something stupid.

Harry had to remember that now he had family looking out for him and they would be there for him in this time of turmoil. And as Severus pushed his emotions behinds his barriers yet again he knew then that he needed Harry just as much as the child needed him.

Chapter End Notes:
I wanted to show that the Malfoy's were human too like in the last book. I've always liked Narcissa because of the love of her son. And so It's not a happy chapter, but I hope it was enjoyed somewhat nonetheless.