Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I dont know any First year Gryffindors when Harry was in Third year, but if you do let me know and I'll change it. Thanks soooo much for the reviews guys, they rock.
Chapter 2: A Warning Ignored

Harry ran as fast as he could, towards the castle with Ron's footsteps not a second behind him and was rewarded when their efforts had paid off. They ended up in front of the entrance doors. He turned around to see if he could still see the burning mountain, but he couldn't. No matter, they know what they saw. Running inside the castle, he could see Hagrid up ahead, telling everyone who had been outside to head to the infirmary. Harry froze on the inside for a moment, before realizing that he didn't even have a scratch on him so there would be no need for Pomprey to even check on him. Plus he knew he would want to see how his friends and classmates were.

"I hope Neville is okay," Harry panted as they headed up the stairs.

"He is, you know how Madame Pomfrey can be. Harry how are you tired, shouldn't you be used to this running from Quidditch practice?" Ron asked in confusion.

"Ron we just ran for our lives, of course I'm a little winded. Not to mention I still have my cloak on," Harry replied defensively. He kept to himself that the reason he was winded had nothing really to do with the run. The severe bruising on his chest from his Uncle's boot had assured him that he probably had one or two cracked or broken ribs and it hurt to breathe let alone run.

"Sorry Harry, I know my heart is just now starting to slow down," Ron replied apologetically.

"I hope everyone is okay," Harry muttered; changing the subject as they neared the the doors of the infirmary.

"They are, you'll see," Ron promised as they entered the infirmary.

Harry looked around and he could see that despite his earlier concerns that everyone for the most part was calm. Then again it could be to the fact that there was a tray of empty potion's vial in the middle of the room and he had to wonder how many of his peers had a calming draught rushing through their system. He made his way over to Neville's bed to see his dorm mate asleep, with a white bandage over his head.

"He's going to be fine, Mr. Potter, but I need to check on both you and Mr. Weasley. And then I need you both to tell me your version of what happened, because the tales I've been hearing are pretty farfetched," Poppy replied tiredly as she took out her wand.

"Ron can go first, I think some debris might have hit him on our run back," Harry said pushing his best mate forward.

"Oy! No it didn't Harry, I'm fine," Ron replied in disbelief as Harry turned on him like that. He sighed as the matron fussed over him and got him into a bed.

"Survival of the fittest Ron," Harry murmured as he moved back a bit.

As soon as the coast was clear, he was planning on making a break for it. He knew she couldn't see the bruises on his body, she would scan and then she would know. He couldn't stand the disappointed look he would see on the Headmaster's face as Harry was just so sure that he knew what his relatives were doing him. He sighed shaking the horrible thoughts away as he stared at his mate getting fussed over. He was carefully making his way to towards the door, slowly and quietly. He didn't want to disturb anyone and have them rat him out. He had barely opened the door when he found his path blocked off by a familiar pair of black boots.

"Move out of my way Potter," Severus told him in annoyance. He had been called because he had gotten word that his third year Slytherins had gotten hurt in their Care of Magical creatures class. He liked the half Giant, but he didn't think he was fit to be a teacher and this incident along with the one with his Hippogriff proved it.

"Sorry sir, I was just leaving," Harry replied quietly trying to press himself up against the wall. This man in front of him was so unpredictable it seemed. If the man suddenly started ignoring him he had no problems with that and wouldn't question it in the slightest.

Severus's eyes narrowed as he looked at the Gryffindor suspiciously. "And why are you in such a rush to leave the infirmary Potter?" He asked casually, taking the way the small boy turned to look around in hopes that Poppy hadn't heard.

"Because I need to see the Headmaster, and I'm fine," Harry replied still inching his way out the door.

"Oh of course, Prince Potter is now a healer and doesn't need anyone beneath him to look him over," Severus stated sarcastically; attracting the attention of Poppy.

"No its not that. I was not hurt by the falling rocks," Harry replied honestly.

"You're not going anywhere young man, you know that I still have to look you over," Poppy replied briskly as she finished up with Ron.

Harry swallowed thickly as he looked from both the matron and Snape. He couldn't do this, not when he knew the minute she scanned him, his bruises would be on display for Snape to see. The man he knew would use this against him and he couldn't allow it to happen. He didn't see any way that he was getting away from getting checked, so he did the only thing that he could do in that moment. He ran.

Severus swore softly as Potter took off, the insolent brat. He frowned before he found himself taking off after him. If something turned out to be wrong with him that Poppy hadn't had a chance to fix, Albus would have their heads. Never mind if it was the boy's fault, he was only 13 and still a child. He could see the child up ahead slowing down and holding onto his side like it hurt. He had the hunch that Potter thought he had gotten away and probably wasn't faking this injury. He didn't understand if the boy was hurt, why he didn't just let himself get healed. That question sent some flags up in his head. Why the would boy rather hide then get healed? What was so important then his health that he would risk it? He waited until the child had fully stopped before he quickened his own pace. He was nearly too him when he stepped on a rock that seemingly appeared out of nowhere and the noise attracted the attention of the resting child who turned to look at him in horror. Severus reacted quickly as did the boy who quickly took off once more. But he had been expecting it and add to the fact that he was sure the child was hurt, he found himself easily keeping pace with him.

"Potter! Stop it you idiot child," Severus called out.

"Leave me alone!" Harry gasped out, his side throbbing painfully.

Severus frowned as he sped up. "I don't think so," he replied darkly as he grabbed the boy's shoulder who screamed as if he had hurt him. It startled him but not enough to let go; he did however pull him into an empty classroom. Where he had it locked and warded within a few seconds as he stared at the boy who had somehow fallen to the floor and was now curled up into a ball. He was a bit alarmed at the defensive position but he would get his answers sooner or later.

"Stand up Potter, I'm not going to hurt you," Severus told him firmly.

Harry quickly got to his feet at the tone, his body tensed as if he was prepared for flight. The only problem was that he had nowhere to run as Snape had warded the door.

"Care to explain why you are running away from being healed? Do you like being hurt? Did you think it would gain you a few sympathy cards?" Severus asked quietly as he leaned against the old desk. He crossed his arms threateningly as he stared at the boy.

Harry was terrified, nothing could compare he didn't think. Not the fact that he still hadn't told anyone what he and Ron had seen, nor when the Basilisk had been about to kill him last year. He was beyond freaked out, because he was sure that no one even realized where he was. Except for Poppy and she was only worried that he had been hurt some how.

"You better answer me Potter, or I'll make you," Severus warned him quietly.

"I'm not hurt sir," Harry lied weakly.

"So the little stunt where you were holding your side when you thought no one was watching you was for naught? Who do you take me for boy? I know you are hurt, and since you don't want Poppy to see for some odd reason I will see for myself," Severus told him as he pointed his wand to him.

Harry shut his eyes, knowing what was coming. Though he figured that Snape might hurt him if anything else, so he was surprised when he opened it to find the man looking at him with a bewildered expression on his face. Harry turned to see a parchment appear out of thin air writing whatever Snape was doing. The blood drained from his face as he became aware of just what scan the man had done and he quickly sat up.

"I can explain, I fell. And then the rocks landed one me," Harry lied quickly.

"Hush, Potter I know you are lying to me. These injures are about a week old, now I have a question and you will tell me the truth. Who did this too you?" Severus asked tightly. He didn't tolerate abuse and though he itching to see the extent of the boy's injuries, he knew how Potter was. Hell he knew how he was. It also didn't help that his perceptions on the child in front of him were changing quite rapidly and he wasn't sure how he felt about them.

"No one, I fell like I said," Harry repeated insistently.

Severus narrowed his eyes as he took in the fearful stance of the child across from him. Just to prove a small theory he took a step towards the child only to see him unconsciously take a step back. He continued to do it, until the boy was backed up against the wall.

"Sir, what are you doing?" Harry asked fearfully, the wall was digging painfully into his back from how hard he had himself pressed against it..

Severus didn't reply as he lifted up his hand to run through his hair. He was rewarded when Potter violently flinched back, knocking his head on the wall. He sighed as he looked at the terrified child in front of him.

"Take off your cloak," he told him quietly.

"Why?" Harry asked in a horrified tone.

"I need to see your injuries," Severus told him curtly.

"No you don't, you did a scan," Harry pointed out softly.

"The scan shows me what's ailing you but not how severe it is," Severus explained matter of factly.

Harry sighed as he stared at his Professor, knowing that he wasn't getting out of this. Well no matter he didn't have to talk about it. His teacher could make his assumptions but he would neither deny nor accept what he was asked. He was not about to spill this horrible secret to Snape a slimy Slytherin of all things. He took a breath before he tugged off his cloak, letting it fall to the floor. He could see himself in the room that the bruising was rather dark on his pale skin, and would have gotten lost in thought if he hadn't heard a sudden intake of breath. He flinched suddenly as Snape carefully grabbed his arm.

"What are you doing?" Harry breathed out, his eyes never leaving the pale hand of his potion's masters.

"Trying to see something," Severus replied as he wrapped his hands around the child's arm. He could see the pattern matched his almost, only the print was a bit bigger and rounder and he frowned. He didn't like this one bit, and the fact that someone had dared to do hurt Lily's son was too much for him.

"What are you trying to see?" Harry asked, a bit of curiosity in his tone, despite their current subject.

"Just what I thought, its a male," Severus said speaking quietly to himself.

"What's a male?" Harry asked, his heart beating painfully fast as he tried to process what the hell had just happened.

"Your abuser," Severus stated calmly.

"I'm, I'm not abused," Harry repeated softly, suddenly feeling sick to his stomach.

"You are," he replied quietly.

Harry swallowed thickly. "You can't prove anything," he said unknowingly proving everything that his teacher had stated as true.

"You live with your Aunt and Uncle, so I'm going to assume that your Uncle is the one who did this too you. Unless you tell me otherwise," Severus continued as if Harry hadn't spoke. He did move to give the boy a bit of room as he paced for a moment.

Harry gasped quietly as he stared at the man unseeingly. What was going on? Was this really Snape? He turned away from the man who was now standing back to standing by the desk. If the man thought that he was just going to confess his darkest secret to him he had another thing coming. He knew that Snape would use this as ammo against him in the future. He turned to look at the window trying to distract himself when he nearly choked on another breath of air.

He could see the mountain earlier that he and Ron had assumed to be a volcano and from this angle he saw that the lava was starting to pour out from the sides. He wasn't really worried as they were inside the castle and he figured the wards and protective measure would protect the students. He sighed as he rested his head against the window pane tiredly, he didn't have much fight left in him and all he wanted to do was rest. Harry turned around to face his teacher only to find the man looking out the window with a pensive expression.

"What is it sir?" Harry asked after a moment had gone by and Snape had yet to speak.

"What do you see outside the window Potter?" Severus asked instead just to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him.

"A volcano with lava pouring out the sides. But we have nothing to worry about because Hogwarts is safe right?" The third year asked softly, he needed his fears abated for the moment, as he looked at his teacher for conformation.

"Yes that's right. But regardless, I don't want to catch you outside at all today. It's not safe, I'm not sure its actually safe where we are now. I have to get to Albus immediately," Severus replied, though towards the end it was clear to Harry that the man was talking to himself once more. He knew himself that Hogwarts was protected against magical means, but he wasn't sure about anything natural. Mainly because incidents like these were so few in between in the wizarding world, unlike the muggle one.

Harry sighed, but he wasn't stupid he didn't want to get burned. He was planning on staying inside as well. "Yes sir," he answered just to show that he was listening.

"Go back to the infirmary, make no mistake that I will find out if you don't," Severus warned him as he made his way towards the door. "We will discuss my findings about your home life at a later time. I will get to the bottom of this Potter, make no mistake about that."

Harry swallowed as he stared at the potion's master. He was just going to have to risk the man's ire, though truthfully he hoped that Snape would be to busy to remember what he was supposed to do. Because the truth of the matter was he wasn't going back to that sterile place, if anything he was going to his tower to try to get a bit rest in. He didn't have to worry about telling the Headmaster since he was sure that Snape would do it for him.

~*~*~*Gryffindor Tower 5:30pm~*~*~*~*~

Harry pulled out his wand quickly after tightening the straps on his backpack. He didn't want to even risk his pack coming loose or something. He looked around in the dark for a moment before he got his terrified brain to work.

"L-l-lumos," he whispered out softly, his voice shaking in his fear. He was relieved when the wand lit up, gaining him a bit of light around his common room. He walked slowly, having heard the scream coming from the girl's side of the room. "Is anyone there?" He asked, unconsciously raising his voice so they could hear him. He held his breath so he could hear them, the pounding of his heart feeling extremely loud in the empty room.

"Yes I'm here," a timid voice replied.

"Where are you?" Harry replied looking around slowly.

"Here," she replied as she stood up from where she had been hidden behind the one of the couches.

Harry walked towards her, his wand illuminating enough so he could see if he recognized who she was. He knew of her, but had never hung out with her. I mean why would he? The girl who he remembered to be Amanda Flint had garnered a lot of grief for being in Gryffindor Tower instead of in Slytherin with her older brother. Harry hadn't really cared, as she was nothing like her troll looking Marcus. Not to mention she was a first year; and hadn't had many opportunities to talk with her.

"What were you doing?" Harry asked her curiously.

"Hiding, I was scared. Hogwarts has been making weird noises for the past hour or so," she admitted shyly as she looked at the boy next to her. She wasn't dense; she knew exactly who he was. Personally she steered clear of him and his friends, but right now she was glad that it was Harry who had found her. He always seemed like he was a nice person, and already she wasn't feeling so alone.

"That's because something's wrong," Harry replied carefully as he looked at her to gauge her reaction. The last thing he needed was a hysterical girl on his hands because he didn't think he would be able to keep himself calm either. He held his hand out to her silently, and was grateful when she grabbed it without question.

"We need to get out of here," he told her softly. Something had changed in the atmosphere and he felt like speaking too loudly could cause problems in the long run so why risk themselves.

"And go where? Won't it be safer up here, then outside?" Amanda asked fearfully.

"I don't think so, we need to find a Professor first," Harry told her truthfully. He didn't want to admit to her that he had no intention of going outside. At this point he wasn't about to admit even to himself that he felt that Snape scared him more then the Lava did. After making sure that she could preform the Lumos charm, they slowly made their way out of their Tower and into the dark corridors. As they headed down the steps they had no idea that the Lava was starting to make its way up.