Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh boy, this chapter was hard to write, and I think I have to change the rating on my story again. Nonetheless I hope I still have some readers after this. Enjoy...(I dont think thats the right word)
Chapter 6: Sacrifices are a part of Surivival

Severus turned when he heard the opening of Albus's office door, and was alarmed and relieved when he saw who it was. What he couldn't understand is what Draco was doing with a Weasely. Those two got along like water and oil, even worse then how Harry and Draco got along. He knew it was because the blood feud between their families, that went back way even before the boys were born. He shook his head knowing he was getting off track.

"Mr. Malfoy, to what do we owe this pleasure? Why weren't you evacuated with the rest of your classmates?" Severus said in a dark silky voice, that his students knew not to lie too.

Draco swallowed thickly, his eyes straying to his Gryffindor companion who was steadily looking at something behind his Head of House's shoulder. He couldn't for the life of him see what it was but that wasn't important. He didn't know where the lava was and he knew his friends lives were at risk.

"Because my friends are in danger," Draco replied urgently.

"Why do you say they are in danger? Where are they?" Severus asked worriedly.

"They're probably in their Common Room Severus, that's where Harry was remember?" Remus pointed out.

"They couldn't be, I sealed it, after I checked and made sure that no one was left," Severus replied but his eyes never left his snake. He could see the small shudder that the boy tried to suppress.

"But they are, they hid from you," Draco replied quickly.

"The little imbeciles, do they not know that the lava is invading the castle?" Severus asked in a shocked and dangerous tone that had Harry whimpering on his shoulder. "Shh child, not you," he murmured.

"They do now, they saw it through the dorm windows. They're trapped, they could die!" Draco blurted out, and to his horror found himself blinking back tears.

"Sweet Merlin," Remus murmured as he looked back at his fellow Professors. "Do we know for sure that the first floor is covered?" He asked.

"It is, Harry and Amanda were heading to it, and the 2nd floor stairs were starting to crumble," Severus replied, before sighing as he heard the twin gasps from the boys in the room.

"I knew that was Harry," Ron murmured to himself. "Mate are you okay?" He asked, a bit of weight falling off his chest; as he realized his best friend was unhurt and alive.

"I'm okay Ron," Harry whispered out.

"If that's true, then why are you attached to Snape?" Ron asked curiously; after all it was a legitimate question.

"I don't know," Harry replied, making no move to get away from the man. He was saved thankfully by his Head of house.

"Mr. Potter had just witness a traumatic event and Professor Snape saved him," she replied firmly. She was feeling extremely sorry about what had just happened moments before, knowing that she was the cause of his overly emotional state right now.

Albus took this time to stand up, and looked at everyone gathered in his office. He knew that the most rational thing to do was to floo Harry, Ronald and Draco to safety. But Harry's safety was also priority and he knew that regardless of what was going on inside the school Death eaters were still out there. And as soon as Draco Malfoy flooed over, his family(most importantly Lucius Malfoy) would be informed and he didn't need him that close to an unprotected Harry. He sighed, having not choice but to keep them within the castle walls to his utter regret.

"Lets head out, Draco I need you to tell me, which of your peers were hiding out," Albus asked sternly.

Draco swallowed, as you never wanted the old man mad at you. He still could wield a lot of power even if his father did say that he was barmy. "Daphne Greengrass, Pansy Parkinson, Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, Theodore Nott, and Blaize Zabini," he said sighing.

"Well there are your 7 Slytherins Severus," Albus replied quietly, gesturing to Draco as the last one.

"Yes Albus, I can count. Just wait until I get my hands on them. They won't be able to sit still for a week," Severus replied quietly, giving a Draco a look the boy knew all to well. He knew that the blond boy played a part in this and he too would be receiving punishment. He kept his Slytherins in line by his fair but firm hand. Their parents were all purebloods, and they had no problem with it as they all practiced it at home. He was rewarded when the boy's hands unconsciously disappeared to hold his backside protectively.

"What are you doing?" Ron asked in horror as he stared at the Slytherin. He himself was no stranger to spankings, so he knew what they boy was doing, but why he was doing it was beyond him.

"Nothing," Draco squeaked in embarrassment before looking towards the ground. He couldn't believe his traitorous hands had betrayed him like that; and in public no less.

"You will stay with Professor Lupin if you know what's good for you," Severus told the blond boy who nodded meekly as Minerva found herself grabbing Ronald's hand to the boy's embarrassment.

"Albus how are we going to get to them?" Minerva asked quietly, she didn't feel very good about taking the children with them. It was much to dangerous; she wasn't alone in her thoughts as she saw Severus take a seat.

"Harry, I can't take you with me," Severus told him softly before sighing. He couldn't focus on saving his Slytherins and worry about Harry somehow getting hurt. The boy was a magnet for trouble.

"Why not? You said you wouldn't take me away!" Harry said in a terrified tone, that had both of his peers looking at him in concern, and a bit of fear. As they didn't know what happened to Harry, to make him act like that.

"I'm not taking you away. I just need you and Draco and Ronald to stay in Albus's office, just until we come back with my Slytherins," Severus told him gently.

"Oh," Harry replied quietly, a heavy feeling appearing in the pit of his stomach. Professor Snape needed to get his Slytherins and Harry wasn't his. Who was he kidding, he would never mean anything to this man. He was just the kid who witness a classmate fall to her supposedly death and then needed some comfort. Snape was only doing his Professional duty, and nothing else. He swallowed the lump that suddenly appeared, but this was nothing new to him. He wasn't anybody's, and the sooner he remembered that; the better off he would be.

Severus sighed, as he looked at Harry. The child literally radiated hurt, which he couldn't take the time the time out to address right now. As every second they wasted, the other children could perish. As it was they only had the book to tell them how many were alive and he was too afraid to look through it. He couldn't afford to squash the poor boy's fears, so he just hugged him tight for a moment before he stood up and set Harry in the chair. He frowned as the comfy chair seemed to swallow Harry u[, he just looked small and vulnerable. Severus frowned, he hadn't fully realized how small Harry really was. He had to fight the twitching of his arms that threatened to pick the child back up. He was currently oblivious to the looks the others were giving him; too focused on Harry.

"I will come back for you," Severus promised as he nodded to Albus who was giving the other two boys a stern talking too; knowing how they could be. He knew the last thing they needed was a petty fight breaking out with no adults. Not to mention he didn't want Harry getting hurt, the boy was already suffering from flashbacks; he didn't need anything worse

Harry shrugged sadly, before pulling his knees to his chest. He could care less about anything else, he missed the comforting smell of the potions on the man's robes. Who would have know he would have liked that smell, but when his security blanket was Snape, he guessed it wasn't so surprising.

Remus frowned at the scene, he could smell the hurt and the fear on Harry but he silently disappeared out the office; keeping his findings to himself, where he was soon,followed by Minerva. Severus followed after her with Albus locking and warding his office so they boys couldn't leave and basically rendered their wands useless. He wasn't worried about the lava making its way to his office, he was at the very top of the castle, they would be fine, if they didn't kill each other that was.

It was a about 5 minutes later, when the 3 boys in the office were sure that their Professor's were gone when they finally started to speak. Well 2 of them did, one was still curled up miserably in the chair, to the surprise of his peers.

"Harry, what's really wrong? It can't be because Snape left you right?" Ron asked quietly as he moved towards his friend.

"Not all of it, but I don't want to talk about it okay?" Harry said pleadingly. His heart stung at Ron's words, even if he knew he mate hadn't meant to hurt him. Snape had left him after all.

"What crawled up your butt Potter?" Draco drawled as he stood up and walked around the office. He strayed far away from the phoenix that has resumed his perch, and was now looking at him.

Ron's face got red, but Harry didn't rise to the bait as he buried his face in his knees.

"Harry seriously, what happened? Did you get burned?" Ron asked in concern. He placed a hand on his friend's shoulder and was rewarded with a flinch; to his horror.

"No Ron, I'm fine. Please don't touch me," Harry whimpered out.

"What the hell is wrong with you Potter?" Draco asked, getting worried as the boy hadn't risen to the bait, and he too had seen the flinch. He was just curled into himself, this wasn't the Gryffindor boy he was used to seeing day after day.

"I'm just gonna take a nap," Harry told them quietly, before turning his face into the chair. He shivered slightly, his body was chilled but he wasn't sure where it was coming from. Was it cold from natural causes or his fear. He didn't have time to think on it, as a blanket was soon draped over him, and he gave them a small nod unsure who it was until the boy spoke.

"If you get sick suddenly, Snape will blame us," Draco mumbled out, before shrugging. He too had seen how attached Harry not to mention Snape himself had been. It wasn't for the first time that he had wondered what the hell had happened to Harry and Snape.

Ron stared silently at his friend for a moment before turning to look at Draco in disbelief with small smile of thanks. He shook his head, not wanting to over think anything especially right now. He got up to look at the window, he could see the Volcano from where he was, even though he was pretty sure trees had once blocked it. He could see nothing but ash falling, lava and smoke in the air.

"I hope your friends are okay," Ron told Draco quietly.

"Me too," Draco replied softly as he came to stand next to the red-haired boy. "I hope your brothers are okay as well," he said after a moment.

"So do I," Ron replied gently.

~*~*~*~The Muggle World~*~*~*

Liam Finnegan was sitting on the couch watching TV., as he waited for his wife to come back from the store. He was absently flicking through the channels, as his program had just gone off. As he continued to click, he found that the breaking news seemed to appear on every other channel and every single new channel was broadcasting it. He wasn't sure just what it was, until the smoke finally cleared on the cameras and he gasped. He recognized the small village of Hogsmead, only to see that people were evacuating and that red liquid what looked to be lava making its way towards the town and remaining townspeople.

He knew as a muggle that the cameras wouldn't pick up Hogwarts but because he had been there, because of his wife and son, he knew what it was. He wasn't stupid to think that the castle would be spared. Sure magic was good for a few things, just look around his home, but this was a natural disaster. He swallowed thickly hoping his son and his friends were alright. He reached for the floo powder on the mantel only to remember that he couldn't use it. He was magic-less! He nearly cried with relief when his young daughter came running in from the backyard. His wife not to mention his own eyes knew that she was witch. She was 6, but was displaying accidental magic, so he knew she would be able to help.

"Daddy, what's wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"Lizzie, I need you to throw the floo powder into the fireplace, like mam taught you okay?" He asked her holding out the canister.

"Who am I calling Daddy?" Lizzie asked, she was worried, she didn't know what was wrong. But she knew for her dad to be telling her to use the floo that was off limits to her meant it was serious.

"The ministry of Magic, Amelia Bones, I believe is her name," Liam replied calmly. He didn't need her to panic. He had to keep calm, even though he wanted to panic. Though he had no idea if Hogwarts was even hit, he wasn't a full and he knew that natural disasters didn't spare anyone.

"Okay daddy," she replied as she tossed the powder in and called out in a clear voice like she was taught.

~*~*~*Corridors~*~*~*

The minute he had cleared the stairs, Severus took off at a dead run. He could hear the wolf keeping pace with him and figured that Albus and Minerva were behind them. All he could think about was his third years and how he hoped that they were all alive and fine. He was making his way down the steps quickly, when he came to a set of stairs going from the second to the first that 'seemed to be intact. He slowed down as he went down them, the air getting hotter the lower they went. Finally he had to cast a bubble head charm on himself so he could breathe clearer. Severus was in the middle of the staircase when he saw the rushing lava, so he knew with a sinking heart that the dungeon area was trapped.

"Why did you stop Severus?" Minerva asked as she came up behind them.

"The path is blocked, the lava is rushing across, take a look yourself," he told her quietly, trying to think of another plan.

"What are we going to do now? How are we going to get them out?" Remus asked softly.

"We will think of something," Albus replied his mind already trying to figure this out.

"We'd better do it fast, I don't know how long the students are going to have," Severus murmured, as he saw the red river rushing lava.

~*~*~*~Slytherin Dungeons~*~*~*~

Theodore wasn't sure what time it was, nor how much time had gone by for that matter. He looked around the tower blearily, it was quiet. The only constant sound was his friends snores mixed together; they had all decided to take a nap a few hours earlier when they realized they had nothing else to do. He hoped that Draco would be able to get them out of here, as he was tired of being locked in. He yawned before he laid back down on the couch.

He closed his eyes, thinking for a moment how weird it was that the Dungeons felt extremely warm today. They didn't even have the fire going in the common room, it was unneeded and a bit weird but they didn't put much thought into it. He closed his eyes and started to doze back off to sleep; when he heard a small hiss. He looked around in confusion as none of his friends had snakes, and no one was awake.

"What the heck?" He murmured out as he stood up and looked around.

As he walked around the chair couch he had been lying on, he could see smoke coming in from under the entrance to the common room. His eyes widened before he saw the entrance doors quiver. What was going on? He didn't have room to think about that when he saw the lava seeping in from under the door. He couldn't help himself, when he screamed, effectively waking up a few of his friends.

"Theo, what is it?" Daphne asked, immediately rushing over to his side.

"There better be a good reason why you just gave us a heart attack," Pansy told him, her nose turning up as she looked at him in annoyance.

"We gotta get out of here," Theodore whispered out.

"Why are you whispering? And yeah I know we have to get out of here. But news flash Theo, we're stuck in here. You know Snape sealed the entry doors shut," Blaize replied with a sigh.

"Yes I know. But we HAVE to get out here!" Theodore replied, his voice reaching near hysteria. How did know one turn around and see what he saw? The lava was quickly making its way towards a sleeping Gregory on the floor. He hadn't realized that they were too busy looking at him in concern that they hadn't noticed.

"Relax Theo, I understand how this is becoming too much, but Draco promise," Pansy told him lightly.

"There's lava! Greg wake up, move!" Theo yelled out, his eyes wide as the lava was literally an inch away from his friend's foot.

He swallowed thickly, the others turning around to see what he was screaming out before their shrieks of terror was also heard. Greg and Vincent were hard sleepers on a good day but at the moment Vincent had woken up and was already behind them. Greg was still in harm's way..0

"Greg, get up," Blaize pleaded, stepping back unconsciously.

"Guys stop yelling I'm up," Gregory mumbled, unaware of the danger he had fallen in.

"Run!" Daphne screamed before her eyes widened and she had turned her face into her shoulder. She just couldn't watch this, she just couldn't!

Gregory wasn't sure what was going on, only when he went to stand up, his hand touched something warm and it was suddenly burning. It was the most pain he thought he had ever felt and he scream, as the skin from his hand literally started to peel off. He stood up, but he knew as the lava touch his feet, he had been a bit too slow. He could hear his friend's screams of horror mixing with him, but he couldn't do anything about it.

"Help me!" He screamed out fearfully.

"GREG!" Vincent yelled out, as he got on the couch to reach a hand out to his best friend.

"Oh Merlin, what do we do?" Pansy said panicked over and over again.

"Theo, Blaize? Help him!" Daphne said urgently. She was sure the images she was seeing, she would never ever forget in her entire life.

"What can we do?" Theo asked softly to himself, before shaking his head and hurrying over to the couch, his arm already outstretched. "Blaize get the girls upstairs!"

Theodore watched as his friends led both of the horrified girls up to the boy's dorm and shut the door. He didn't know what to do and quickly grabbed his friend's free hand and tried to pull him up. He didn't bother shouting for help as he no one could get them now, they had probably condemened themselves.

"It's not working!" Vincent grunted out as he tried to pull his friend up. He didn't care that the hot lava was popping onto his and Theodore's skin, they couldn't feel it at the moment.

"Dont let me die! Please!" Greg cried, screaming out in agony as the lava climbed up his skin. He shut his eyes tight, tears falling like a stream down his eyes.

Theodore turned his head to see what they could use to help pull him up. He had barely began to look when Vincent screamed, and awful scream he never wanted to hear again. He turned back quickly to find that Greg's lower body was covered in the lava and the boy wasn't making any more noises, even as his mouth was opened in a silent scream.

"Greg! Greg answer me," Vincent pleaded as his best friend stared unblinking at him, as he shook the boy urgently. He gasped before he was suddenly pulled back by Theo as Greg's body was soon covered by the hot liquid. Tears pooled into his eyes, unwilling to believe what they had just witnessed. His body trembled and he shook his head in denial.

"Come on Vincent, lets get upstairs," Theo replied thickly; his own mind trying to process one of his friends being gone.

"No we can't leave Greg," he said in denial.

"Greg is....Greg is dead," Theodore choked out. "Come on before it gets too close and gets us," he said tearfully. He didn't notice anything, as he grabbed his friend's shirt and tugged him with him as they headed to the highest dorm room. Theo had yet to notice anything, as they were both suffering from shock at what they just witnessed. He wasn't fully there as they took a seat on one of the 7th year beds, as the Vincent sat there rocking on the bed silently.

"Where's Greg?" Pansy asked finally when it seemed like no one was going to talk.

"Down there," Theo replied softly.

"You left him?" Daphne asked in horror.

"No the lava took him; he was covered in it," Vincent replied, his face crumpling before he managed to fix it, even as he sat their blinking back tears.

"You're trying to tell us that Greg is dead?" Pansy asked, her voice rising in her fear.

"Yeah that's exactly it," Theodore replied, as he took his arm to wipe his face only to hiss in pain.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Blaize asked as he hurried over to his best friend.

"I got burned," Theo replied softly as he looked at his blistering skin, or what was left of it as the skin had peeled off. He swallowed thickly, he was no healer but this looked really bad.

"We gotta get out of here," Daphne replied stating the obvious. One of her friends were dead, another was in shock, and one more was hurt and from what she knew of injuries it was severe. Not to mention they were alone with the rising lava.

"I know," Blaize said tightly as he stared out the window. He had no idea what to do. How were they going to get out of this?

~*~*~*~Charms Classroom~*~*~*

Percy Weasley shook his head from where had been following his Charm's Professor when the man suddenly took off. They had been looking for wayward students, and evacuating them. As Head boy it was his responsibility to make sure that all the students were safe as well as himself. He knew that the Penelope the Head girl was searching with Professor Sprout. He sighed as he walked through the corridors. He had never in all his life think that Hogwarts would be threatened by something like this.

He should his head once more, trying to figure out where Professor Flitwick was. Walking out of the classroom he could see that the corridor was filled with light smoke but he knew that thankfully that wasn't the worse of it. He would be in trouble if the lava suddenly appeared. He continues to make his way down the hall, feeling more alone then he had ever felt. He wasn't scared per-say, he was just glad that none of his siblings were here. He had made sure that they were in Professor McGonagall sights before he took off to help. As he turned the next corner he could see down the hall, bright red liquid was coming in his direction and he was all set to turn around and run the next way when he heard a small cry.

"Christoper, come here," he said firmly. He recognized the first year Hufflepuff muggleborn student from anywhere. The boy who had brown hair, tended to blend into the background was no curled into a ball on the windowsill.

"I can't," Chris whispered out. He really couldn't, he had been alone for the longest time and thought that no one would find him. He wasn't hurt but he couldn't make his body move, having frozen in his fright. He was right in front of the window so he could see the lava and all of his destruction.

"Yes you can, come here. We have to get out of here," Percy told him impatiently, one eye still on the lava creeping down the hall.

"I can't move, I don't know why!" He sniffled out distressed over the whole thing.

Percy sighed before he made his way towards the boy. "It's okay to be scared, I understand that," he said as he hurried over to the middle of the corridor where the boy was currently at. His heart thudded as he looked at the lava, it was more closer to Chris then where he himself had been standing. He shook the fear away before he reached out for the boy. "Come on, we gotta get out of here," he told him urgently.

"I'm scared," Chris replied, still refusing to move. He had been here for an hour and it was starting to feel safe. He didn't see the lava from where he was currently sitting with his face in his knees,

"I know you're scared, but I will protect you. So come on we have to leave now!" Percy told him before he just reached over to pick him up. He startled as the boy suddenly screamed and the older teen looked at him in alarm.

"I fell earlier, and everyone was running and some of them stepped on me. My foot and my arm hurts," he whispered out painfully.

"Well I'll take you to the infirmary but right now we need to get out of here," Percy stressed. He had been refraining from looking back to check the lava, because he knew it was getting closer and closer each passing minute, and if he chanced a look back he knew he would be overwhelmed in panic.

"Okay," Christ replied before reaching for the older teen.

Percy sighed in relief, as he carefully picked up the small boy. He knew that he had taken much more time then he planned but that didn't fully register how long until he looked and he could see the lava was on them. He quickly pulled himself in the alcove with Chris and swore earning a look of shock from the small boy.

"It's gonna be okay," he told him softly as the lava rushed passed them. He knew they were safe for now, but he didn't know how long they had as the heat from the lava was getting to be unbearable all in the span of a few seconds. He made sure that his cloak was covering the small first year up as he hugged him to his chest.

"How are we going to get out here?" Chris asked fearfully.

"I don't know, but I will get you out, make no mistake about that," Percy told him firmly as he looked around. He could pull out his wand but he couldn't levitate the small boy forever so that plan was out as the lava was quickly making its way down the hall. If he didn't so anything now, they would be stranded and would no doubt die. And he couldn't have that, he was a Gryffindor where there was a will there was a way. He stood up as best as he could on the windowsill and held the boy tight. "

"Chris I need you to do me a favor, hold on tight and shut your eyes. Whatever you do, don't let go until I tell you too," Percy told him in a serious tone. He pushed the feelings back, knowing this was the only way but at the same time, couldn't believe what he was really about to do.

"What are you going to do?" Chris asked, though he did what he was told.

"If we stay here we die, but if I can make it, we'll live," Percy told him honestly.

Chris poked his head up to look and shook his head frantically. "It's too far!"

"No it's not, remember what I said," Percy said cutting the small boy off. He didn't want to lose his nerve when he knew what he had to do.

"I will," Chris replied as he buried his face back into the older boy's torso.

Percy took a breath before he jumped off the windowsill, as far as he could. There was a burning fire in his eyes, he was going to get Christoper to safety, because all he could think about was his younger siblings and hoped that if they were this situation someone would do the same for them. He found himself unable to hold in the blood-curdling scream that ripped from his throat as he landed mid knee in the hot burning lava.

Chapter End Notes:
I'm sorry about the cliffy