Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
You can thank Good Charlotte and and their song We Believe for this update. I couldnt get the song out of my head as I wrote it, so I listened to it the entire time I wrote this chapter. Good news guys, I'm halfway started with chapter 9, bad news if I'm so sorry for the ending...
Chapter 8: We Believe in this Love

Sirius looked at the little girl in his arms, who was trying hard to stay awake despite everything. He didn't want her to sleep either, it was easier to deal with their situation if the other one was awake. Not to mention, he was afraid that she wouldn't wake up given the shock she had just gone through. He gently shook her, chuckling a bit as he looked at the small pout that soon appeared on her face.

"I was trying to sleep Mr. Black," Amanda said with a huff, though she grinned when she saw the sour look on his face; after she said his name.

"No way kid, Mr. Black was my father. Me, well I'm just Sirius," he told her with a shake of his head.

Amanda giggled as she took in his expression, she was almost able to forget just how surreal everything was. She was not supposed to even be here, but thanks to the rugged man who was carrying her, she owed him everything. She looked around the empty hallway, as she shook away her thoughts, Hogwarts had never been this silent before it was just eerie and she shivered unconsciously.

"It is creepy isn't it," Sirius told her softly as he looked around himself.

They were going to the Headmaster's office, and though he knew he should be afraid he wasn't. The fact that the child in his arms was hurt, was enough to for his old Auror skills to come in. He needed to get her to Albus and then make sure Harry was safe. He had no doubt that some children had died today, but he refused to even think about that. He wasn't even thinking about his own problems, he just felt that maybe the Headmaster would listen to reason before immediately shipping him back to Azkaban; where he would no doubt receive the kiss.

"Very," she agreed softly, as she looked around. "I don't see any of the pets of the students either. Like Mrs. Norris would always be around, but I haven't seen her at all," she pointed out in confusion.

"It's because animals flee when danger is near, I wouldn't be surprised if the old cat got her and Filch out in time," Sirius said with a half of a smile.

Amanda nodded thoughtfully as she contemplated that. "That makes sense," she said before her eyes went wide and she let out a shriek.

Sirius had his borrowed wand pulled so fast, turning around in circles as he tried to find the reason of her sudden fear. "What is it? What did you see?" He asked her, tone serious his eyes alert for the unknown danger. His easy going mood was long gone, as he tried to figure out where the threat to them was.

She flushed, before staring at the ground in embarrassment as she looked over and pointed a few feet away from them what looked like a dead animal. "It's gross," she trembled fearfully.

"A rat, are you serious? It's dead honey, look," Sirius told her as he headed over to it, even as she hid her face in her hands.

He bent down to look at the poor thing when he noticed the graying fur around it, and then the missing toe, and he swore suddenly, wand coming out once more. Now that he was close he could see that the thing was indeed alive, it was just unconscious. He growled, he was planning on keeping it. He quickly stunned it, before focusing and conjuring a small cage and placing the animal in it.

"What are you doing? Eww!" Amanda scream, obviously frightened as he picked it up. She was after all still in his other arm, and she didn't want to be near the dead animal.

"I'm putting it in a cage," Sirius told her calmly. Though inside he was seething. The only thing that stopped him from killing the traitor Peter Pettigrew was that the little girl would already have nightmares of the horrors of today and he didn't want to add to it. He knew how much those sucked.

"Why are you keeping it then?" She asked, not at all liking this. "It's just a dead rat right?"

"No it's not. And this is evidence, I need this rat in exchange for my freedom," Sirius said as he placed the small cage in his pocket before shaking his head at the sudden luck that was going for him.

"I'm...I'm confused," Mandy said softly.

"I'll tell you once we get out of here," Sirius told her as he headed through a secret passageway to get off the main hallway. He wasn't about to let the sudden arrival of anyone get in the way of his freedom.

~*~*The Infirmary~*~*~*~

Madame Pompfrey was currently giving a stricken 4th year a vial of calming draught. The girl had rushed in about 45 minutes before with a extremely burnt first year. She hadn't even been able to deduce which house the poor child had been in as his robes, were all but gone. It had taken her a bit of time but she had stabilized him, though she knew he would need to go to St. Mungos and soon. She was startled from her musings when she heard the scream from Ginerva Weasley, and the matron whipped her head around to see smoke around the door frames. Merlin! She had forgotten to reapply the protective measures over the infirmary once she had let the other children in. The woman hurried over to the door, or what was left of it as the doors were gone, and the lava was making it's way inside. She placed her hand's on the wall, only to find that Hogwart's defenses had fallen with the entrance doors. She knew without a doubt that her office was their best chance. She had a bit of floo powder and she could get some students to safety but not all of them and that tore her to her very core.

"Oh Merlin! What are we going to do?" Ginny yelled out hysterically, when it seemed the Medi-Witch had gone silent.

That was the push she needed and Madame Pompfrey snapped into action. "Alright listen up children! I need all my able-bodied students to grab an injured one and run into my office. It's going to be a tight fit, but it will do. I will try to floo as many as you out as I can," she told them, with authority in her voice that would make even Snape proud.

She watched as they all ran to obey her words, and she followed after them, conjuring up a small brick wall to slow the the lava down, as they all rushed into her office. It was a second year Slytherin who had grabbed the floo powder and ran over to her. She was making sure that she had all her students inside the cramped office.

And when she closed the door, she could see her brick wall crumbling. She placed her hand on the wall, willing the magic to protect them, and she was able to breathe a small sigh of relief as she felt the warmth coming from Hogwarts. She would protect them, but Poppy didn't know how long that protection would last, and that's what scared her the most.

~*~*~*~*Headmaster's Office~*~*~*~*~

Harry wasn't sure how long he had slept, or how long his Professor's had been gone. All he knew was one minute he was sleeping peacefully and the next thing he knew the door to the Dumbledore's office busted open which sent the little boy into a panic. He didn't see the horrified and startled looks of his Professor's nor the wary and defensive positions that both Draco and Ron had taken as he dove for cover underneath his Headmaster's desk.

"What the heck?!" Draco screamed out, his heart pounded fast in his chest as he took in the people. He could hear the red head boy next to him, own frantic breathing.

"I'm sorry about that boys, we did not mean to scare you," Albus told him in a gentle voice as he looked around his office sadly. He didn't bother to ask Harry to come out, if the harsh breathing was any indication the child didn't feel the least bit safe right now. The still moment was broken however a moment later when Draco heard his name being called.

"Draco!" Pansy screamed out before rushing over to the boy and burying her face into his shoulder.

The Slytherin was too into his shock and concern at the situation to push the girl away, especially when he felt her tears soaking into his robes. "Pans, what's the matter? Are you hurt?" He asked softly.

"No, it's Greg, he-he-he died," she cried out tearfully.

Draco nodded, a fresh wave of hurt washing over him. He had known that Greg was dead when he saw the name disappear in the book but hearing it was different and he didn't like it. He hated this feeling, he felt so helpless and so very angry. But there was no one to blame this time, no one but himself. It was his idea to hide there, and now one of his friend's were dead. He felt his mind slip into a bit of a shock state, and he didn't see the Headmaster gently pulling the girl off of him nor and flooing both her and Daphne out of the castle and too safety.

Ron was looking at the Slytherin mournfully, jerking back when the door opened once more. He gasped at the sight that he saw. Remus was holding onto a badly burnt Theodore Nott, who didn't seem to be pushing him away.

"We need to get him to a healer and fast, every moment we waste, we risk the damage to his hand becoming more permanent," Remus told him seriously. "He could lose all function in that hand or worse, lose the whole hand." The men both knew with that amount of damage, potions nor magic would be effective, and he knew the child didn't deserve this.

"Take him to St. Mungos Remus," Albus replied in the same tone. "Make sure that he get's the proper care,"

"I can't do that Headmaster, I can't leave Harry," Remus said.

"Now is not the time for that, Severus will keep him safe. As will I, take the boy and go Remus," Albus said as grab the canister of floo powder.

Remus nodded before giving both the now silent boys a good hard look. "You take care of Harry, you hear me?" He told them in a firm voice, waiting until they nodded before he disappeared in the flames.

Severus rushed into the office, just in time to see his Snake and Lupin leave and he turned to look at Draco and then at Ronald who had a contemplative look on his face. He set Blaize down, he had injures but they weren't as severe as Theodore's had been. The man's eyes flashed to his mentor's, refusing to look at Draco who seemed to be wanting to ask something he so desperately didn't want to answer.

"Where's Vince?" Draco asked softly, his voice catching as he realized he had seen everyone come in but him.

Albus also turned around, the hard look Severus was giving him, now making sense, and it broke the old man's heart to know that one more of his precious children had perished. If only they had been warned? Why was this happening? He took a seat in his chair with a grieved sigh, looking down finally at the frightened child underneath his desk. "Won't you come out of there Harry?" He asked quietly.

But Draco wasn't having any of that, he didn't like being ignored, I mean who did? "Where is Vincent?" He repeated, his voice cracking on his words as no one seemed to be talking.

"Where's Minerva, Albus?" Severus asked ignoring the boy for a moment as he didn't see his colleague anywhere.

"She went to see if any of the student's were still in their towers," Albus answered truthfully.

Draco looked from both men, his eyes unconsciously filling with his tears. They weren't answering him, that must mean that Vincent was dead then huh? That couldn't be right could it? He looked up despite the fact that he was always told tears were a weakness and that if one must cry do it in private. He didn't care right now that they could see them, they were going to answer him. He needed to hear this, even if he knew in his heart. He needed the closure, or he would always wonder the truth even if his heart knew it or not.

"Answer me!" He screamed out, once could hear the agony in the tone.

Harry flinched hard at the scream, but he felt for the blonde boy. He couldn't understand just why he felt so safe under the desk. Maybe because it resembled his cupboard and nothing could hurt him there. He felt it here, even more so now that Snape was here. The only reason he wasn't running to the dark haired man because Harry knew that the Potion's Master didn't really like him

. He wasn't something of Snape's, so he had no claim on him. And it hurt, he himself couldn't understand the attachment he had to the man. He peeked through the small hole in the desk to see the blonde Slytherin's shoulders starting to shake and Ron staring at him in horror.

"Where is Vince?" Draco repeated tearfully. "Tell me you bastard!" He yelled out, his hand itching for his wand but the headmaster had yet to give it back.

Severus occluded the feeling away as best as he could, he knew this was the grief talking. As he had never heard Draco speak to him in this much disrespect. He knew the child wasn't to blame; but this he knew would never be easy news to give or to receive.

"Vincent died Draco, he fell through the floor as I was reaching for him," he told the boy in a gentle tone. He used their first names because contrary to belief he did have a heart. He looked at his 3rd year, he could see him processing his words and then shaking his head in denial. He was honestly ready for more screaming but he was slightly unprepared for the fists that started pounding into his torso and stomach area from the child.

"You're lying! How could you say something like that? Vince isn't dead, I just saw him! He's alive, you bastard!" Draco screamed out over and over again his fists pounding into the man as hard as he could.

He could hear the gasps of Ron next to him, but he didn't care. He couldn't stop himself, he just knew his friend wasn't dead. It was too much for him to take in at one time so he was lashing out the only way he knew how.

"He's not, oh Merlin, he's not!" Draco lashed out angrily, his tears clouding his vision as they poured freely out of his eyes.

"Draco, Draco, stop. I know you're hurting, but it is true," Severus told him gently, his hands going to restrain the fists as they were starting to cause pain.

He held the boy tight, even as the child fought against him to let go. But he didn't let go, he held onto him, until the child finally stopped throwing himself at him and instead started cry. A gut wrenching sob poured out out of the child's body. The sound of it tore at the man's heart, this was what he hadn't wanted at all. He stood there trying to console the child, his free hand reaching into his robe for a calming potion. He could not do with the hysterics right now. Especially when he could see the betrayal in Lily's green eyes as they stared silently at him, and he wasn't sure just what had caused them.

He spoke soothing words to the crying child, before simply lifting up Draco's chin and pouring the potion right in. He hugged the boy once more waiting for it to take effect, his dark eyes weary but he gave no thought to himself as he focused on his Slytherin. He wasn't sure how much time had gone by, but he knew it had to be a couple of minutes before he gently pulled Draco back from his robes. No words were needed and he knew once the potion wore off, that that had only been a taste of what was truly to come. He turned his gaze to the red head who had been silent all of this time, only to find the boy giving him a critical look from his seat.

"Draco please go take a seat next to Ronald, I have to get Harry from underneath the desk," Severus told him quietly. If he was expecting a response he didn't get it, as the child quietly got up and took a seat next to his classmate. He could see the boy rocking on the couch, and he longed to comfort him, but at the moment it was not the time. He made his way over to the headmaster's desk, the man who had been silent the entire time Draco had broken down pushed back from the desk.

"Harry if you would come out now? I think Severus would like to have a word with you," Albus told him gently.

Harry frowned unsure of what Snape wanted with him. He had already proven to him that he was second best, he had always been and he would always be. He had no one, so he knew he should just suck it up and get over it. Something in him however didn't want to listen and he found himself scooting out of the desk before he had thought about it. He felt exposed when he got out of his hiding spot, and chose to keep his gaze on his feet. That way he didn't have to see the repulsion in the man's eyes when he looked at him.

"Harry look at me, what's wrong?" Severus asked roughly, before clearing his throat.
"Nothing sir," Harry mumbled out before turning to the Headmaster. "When do I floo out of here?" He asked the old man.

"When we leave. I know what you're thinking but you are still Harry Potter and regardless of what happened today, out there there are still people who wish to get you and hurt you," Albus told him truthfully.

"Couldn't I go with Ron and stay with him and his family then?" Harry asked curiously.

"You could if the Burrow had the proper protections on them, but they do not," Albus replied before nodding to the blonde boy who had leaned back into the couch. "You are aware of who his father is, am I correct?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied glumly. "I guess I'm going back to the Dursely's then?" He asked sadly, not at all surprised. He knew it would come to this, it had always come to this, he just didn't think it would be so soon.

"No!" Severus blurted out before Albus could speak. "You are NOT going there, you will stay here with me, until I leave and then I will take you somewhere safe," he promised him fiercely.

Harry shrugged, he didn't actually believe that but he had the common sense not to voice it. He sighed before staring at his shoes. "Then what are we going to do then? Are we going to have to stay up here?"

"No, I will stay up here with Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Weasely, while Severus and you go see if you can find any other students," Albus told him truthfully. He turned to see the red head's mouth open like he wanted to protest but that wasn't what came out of the boy's mouth.

"The book showed that Percy's name was red, and that the twins were turning red as well. If you could find them Professor?" He asked pleadingly.

"I will do my best Ronald," Severus told him as he held a hand out to Harry. He noted the child looked at it warily before he grabbed it. He was unsure of what brought on his change in behavior but he would ask about that once they were alone.

"Be safe my boys," Albus told them.

"We will, I will protect him with every fiber of my being," Severus promised before he and Harry exited the office.

Harry headed down the steps, looking up at the man who seemed unsure of what way to go, when they entered the hallways. It was so quiet and he pressed himself closer to his Professor's side, promising himself he was gaining no comfort from this. "Which way are we going sir?"

"I'm not sure," Severus replied carefully. He wasn't sure where to start, he wished he had a map of some sorts. He blew out a breath, he didn't want to go right, only to to be aware later that left was the correct choice.

Harry let the man ponder that in silence as he waited silently at his side. He put his hand's in his pockets to make sure that his prize possessions that he had shrunk earlier were in them. His photo album, invisibility cloak and the Marauders map was present and accounted for. It took him about a half of a moment before gasping loudly, attracting the attention of his teacher who was staring at his warily.

"What's wrong Harry?" Severus asked seriously.

"Nothing, but I can't believe I forgot! I have a map we could use Professor!" Harry said obviously excited about his find as he pulled the shrunken parchment out of his pocket.

Severus was staring at the shrunken item in confusion, unable to comprehend just why that Harry was getting excited over a blank little parchment paper. "Just what are you planning on doing?"

Harry grinned as he pulled his wand free, the Headmaster had never taken his, for some reason he didn't know. He unshrunk the item before whispering the password. He could hear his teacher gasp and turned up and showed the man a proud smile. "This can help up right?" He asked told the man excitedly.

"Merlin, this will definitely help us," Severus told him as he awkwardly read over slight teen's shoulder. He couldn't really see anything at this angle, and he longed to grab the map and see for himself, but he made due, especially considering the smile Harry was now giving him. "See if you can find the Weasleys,"

Harry's eyes roamed the map, his young eyes tracking Amanda Flint's name first, but she wasn't alone. He frowned as he read the name Sirius Black, knowing a bit about him, along with Peter Pettigrew. They hadn't hurt her, so what did that all mean? He shook his head promising to come back to it later, before focusing on the Weasleys knowing his teacher hated to wait. "I found them! They're by the Charm's classroom!" He told the man, pointing them out.

"Then off we go," Severus told him as Harry quickly put up the map. He grabbed the boy's hand and they took off at a run towards that part of the castle.


~*~*~*~Somewhere near the Charm's Classroom~*~*~*~

Fred Weasely had considered a lot of things, while he went to Hogwarts. He knew that immediately after they were done with their schooling that he and his twin brother was opening a joke shop. He knew that his mum loved them all but that she had a special place in her heart for each and every one of them. And he also knew that no matter how pompous one Weasely got, in the end they were still family. Which is why he forced himself to swallow the fear and the bile that was currently coming up his throat as he really took in the scene.

He couldn't hear his twin, but he knew without a doubt that George was trying to figure out how they were going to do this. He could see that Percy didn't even seem to be aware that they were in front of him, but they were going to change that. They also knew that even if they saved their brother from the lava, unless he got immediate attention it would all be for naught. He forced his emotions away, he needed to keep a clear head. He watched his brother walk through the lava, as best as one could, the little boy hanging on him for dear life. But the lava was unyielding. They couldn't just stand there, they had to do something.

"Percy! You can do this, come on big brother!" George finally yelled out, he couldn't stand here and be silent any longer.

The older Weasely's head jerked in the direction of his brother's his face was redder then his hair, and had tears constantly running from his eyes. "Catch Chris, oh god this hurts! You have to catch him!" He screamed out, his voice nearly hoarse from how long he had been screaming.

"NO! We have to get you out too," Fred yelled out.

"Forget about me! Get Chris out of here," Percy choked out, before turning to look at the frightened child in his arms. "Chris, I need you to listen to me," he said his face cracking as the pain registered. He had been fighting the feeling, but he couldn't anymore, and it was to much to handle.

"What is it?" Chris sniffled out softly.

"I'm going to throw you to my brothers, and I know that's a scary thought but they will catch you," Percy said making poor attempt at a joke.

"No, not without you!" Chris told him anxiously. "I don't want you to die!"

"I will be right behind you, but once they catch you. I need you to run. As fast as you can, run to the Headmaster's office. Do not look back do you hear me?" Percy told him firmly.

"I understand," Chris answered sadly. The first year wasn't dense, he didn't want to let go of the boy, but this was out of his hands. He didn't want the older boy to die. "You'll be right behind me right?"

"I'll be right behind you," he promised, ignoring the stinging in the back of his eyes and the bitter taste of the lie on his tongue. "Okay, get ready and release my robes and shut your eyes tight," Percy instructed.

Chris nodded and swallowed thickly before obediently closing his eyes.

"Guys, you'd better catch him," Percy told him before he swung him with the last of his strength and tossed him over the lava. It seemed like the moment went in slow motion, his whole body pins and needles until he landed safely in the arms of George.

George breathed a sigh of relief as he caught the little boy before he put him down. "Go run! Now! Do as Percy says!" He told the first year.

Chris gasped on a sob when he was on the ground, and he had the sense to take off down the hall at a dead run, never looking back as he promised the older boy. The only thing keeping him from turning around was that Percy promised, everyone knew you didn't make promises you couldn't keep.

Fred turned back to his brother once Chris was gone and look at the lava, the boy only had maybe about five feet or so before he met the stone floor of Hogwarts. The lava wasn't rushing as fast and they for one was grateful. The only problem was they could see their brother, and he seemed to be giving up.

"Percy, don't you dare give up! Mum would kill us if anything happened to you!" Fred said as he looked around for something, anything to help them.

"What does it matter, I'm just another one of the Weasely boys. If anything you should be happy. I know what you really think of me," Percy told him, with a choked sob.

"We kid around Perce, that's what siblings do. I don't hate you I never have, and you don't get to do this. You don't get to give up and decide that you're going to die. You were put in Gryffindor for a reason, you're braver then this and you will fight this. I'm not letting you give up," Fred stated angrily, his eyes smarting with tears but he had to keep it together. He had to be strong for all of them.

Percy looked at his brother wearily. "I've got no more fight left in me Freddy," he told him weakly as he swayed on his feet. He had long since lost the feeling in his feet and his legs. He wasn't even sure they were even there, let along how he was even staying up. The pain at the moment was hardly registering, he could feel it in his core that he was dying. He only wished that his younger brothers hadn't been here to see this.

"Don't you dare fall!" George screamed out fearfully as he hastily conjured up some wooden planks and set them on the ground.

The moment they touched the lava they burnt into ash, and he groaned. They were in way over there heads, they couldn't levitate him because something told them that wouldn't be a good idea. They had no idea what the state of his legs were in, and they were quickly running out of time.

Chapter End Notes:
Next Chapter is really intense, you get to see the Fate of Percy and Theodore Nott, What becomes of Sirius and Amanda, The infirmary, and how Neville is doing, a few of the other things. It's a hell of a chapter, and I'm so glad you guys have stuck with me on this ride. :)