Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Mistrust

"HARRY! Where have you been?"

The boy in question had barely time to climb through the portray-hole into the Gryffindor common-room when he was attacked by a red-headed someone. "Ron... is everything all right?" Harry asked, surprised by the enthusiastic greeting. Hedwig, annoyed at being jostled, gave a screech and hopped onto the nearest armrest.

"That's what I wanted to ask you! Where have you been? It's almost time for breakfast and you weren't under your bed... well, I thought perhaps I should wake you, so I looked under your bed, but you weren't there.. I even looked in your bed, but then Neville," Harry saw the other boy standing nervously at the foot of the stairs leading to the boy's dormitories, "he said that you wouldn't sleep in a bed because each time someone had suggested it you'd looked like he felt when his grandma made him go to St Mungo's!"

For a few seconds, Ron's babbling stopped. He couldn't imagine why Neville would be afraid of going to St Mungo's. Ron had been there a few times himself, mostly because his mother had made him visit Aunt Muriel when she had been bitten by one of her strange plants, but this one time he had an argument with the twins and... well, maybe it wasn't exactly fun going to the hospital, but being terrified because of it? But then, it didn't make sense that Harry was afraid of sleeping in beds either - and Ron had clearly seen the fear in the other boy's eyes when Seamus had suggested that he might want to sleep in the bed rather than under it. But everyone had some quirks, Ron thought. He hated spiders, after all... though he couldn't think of anything that would make you afraid of beds!

"Uhm, well," he added, "Neville suggested that you might have woken up early and decided to practice your Wingardium Leviosa... so we looked in the common-room but couldn't find you... well, you're there now..." he finished somewhat sheepishly.

Now that Harry was standing right in front of him, he couldn't imagine why he had been so worried. But somehow it had given him the creeps to think about Harry going for a walk all by himself and all the Slytherins that might attack him. He was almost sure that the snakes knew some very nasty curses - their parents where all Death-Eaters, after all - and Harry hadn't even managed the very first spell yet, he would never be able to properly defend himself!

During the last few day's, Ron's image of the famous boy-who-lived had changed considerably. Harry Potter wasn't anything like his mother had pictured him in the daily bedtime stories.

For one, he was much smaller and skinnier than Ron (and even than his little sister Ginny, he thought!). What hero was this tiny? Then, he seemed to be really nervous all the time, nothing like the brave and confident defeater of you-know-who. Additionally, he was the only one who had yet to manage the levitating spell, and this meant that he wasn't overly powerful, didn't it? But then, Ron supposed, they hadn't had DADA yet, perhaps Harry was only a genius in this one subject?

Maybe most importantly, though, Ron constantly felt as if he had to look out for his new friend. He was almost positive that if nobody did, Harry would miss classes and keep running into walls because of his constant day-dreaming (or whatever it was). Ron knew he wasn't good with feelings and all this girly stuff, but despite the real Harry being so different from the Harry Potter from the stories, he liked him. And it made him angry if anyone made fun of his friend because of him being different. He hadn't forgiven Seamus for the comment he had made the previous evening, about Harry being a lunatic that shouldn't attend Hogwarts but rather being locked up. Fortunately, Harry hadn't heard this, but Ron had been seriously tempted to break one of his mother's most important rules (no fighting).

"Eh, I have only searched for the owlery... I couldn't sleep and wanted to visit Hedwig." Harry considered it better not to mention that he hadn't actually found the owlery. He didn't want his friend think of him as being completely stupid. Well, if he didn't think this already, that was, because it had become quite clear that no other first-year was as bad in doing magic as Harry was.

Ron snapped out of his thoughts. "Oh, all right... I mean, I shouldn't have worried, kind of silly I think...," Merlin, this was embarrassing, "uhm, do you come to breakfast with us?" He gestured towards Neville. Apparently, the shy boy's help in his search for Harry had caused Ron to actually notice the fifth boy in their dorm for the first time.

"Uh, all right... I just get a jumper." He was still cold.


Later, after another lesson with Professor McGonagall (in which Harry had tried and failed to transfigure his matchstick, while all of his class-mates succeeded), Harry was rather downcast. It wasn't fair that he couldn't even be a normal freak! All what he wanted was to be like everybody else, but even amongst other freaks he still stood out. He had noticed the looks the Professor had given him. She, too, must have realized how abnormal Harry was.

Perhaps everything had been a mistake? Perhaps he was a different kind of freak than all the other people here? Everyone at Hogwarts seemed to be a wizard (or a witch). Except for Harry. If one couldn't do magic, one wasn't a wizard, this was quite simple, wasn't it?

And then, he hadn't seen anyone else taking medicine. He, Harry, had taken pills for almost all his life. So maybe the Hagrid-man had made a mistake? Perhaps there was another Harry out there that had been supposed to come to Hogwarts instead of him? Neither his first name nor Potter, his last name, were very uncommon, after all.

Harry supposed he should tell a teacher that Hagrid might have made a mistake. It was quite unfair if only because of him, the real Harry - the wizard-Harry - couldn't learn magic, wasn't it? But he couldn't bring himself to do so. He couldn't help but to like this strange place. As soon as the teachers learnt that he wasn't supposed to be here, he would have to go, Harry was sure of this. So either he told them right away that he wasn't a wizard, but only a normal freak, or he waited until they figured it out on their own. If he waited until they asked him to leave, they might get angry. But if he told them voluntarily, they might not believe him and become angry nevertheless. This was how it worked, wasn't it? Adults didn't believe children, well, at least not freaky children like himself. He was crazy, and therefore nothing he said could be considered true. It were the adults that decided what was right and wrong, what was real and what wasn't, not Harry.

He sighed. Perhaps he would ask Ron what he thought would be the best thing to do.


"Filius, perhaps you could start and tell us about the observations you made regarding Mr Potter?" Albus Dumbledore suggested. It was early in the evening and the four heads of houses had gathered in the headmaster's office in order to discuss the first few days of term, how the first-years were settling in and, well, one first-year in particular. Normally, this meeting wasn't held until at least a week or so into term, but after Dumbledore had been approached by a worried Charms-professor, a Transfiguration-professor that demanded to know "what these muggles have done to Harry that causes him to be afraid of magic", not to mention Madame Pomfrey's hint during breakfast that the potion-master had found some rather disturbing information (though she hadn't gone into more detail) during his research the previous evening, he had thought it wise to summon the heads to his office for this very evening, if only to appease them and prevent them from staging a revolution.

But there couldn't be something seriously wrong with Harry, could there? Sure, the boy might struggle a bit, but he wouldn't be the first student that had difficulties in classes. A few private lessons, and he would catch up in no time!

"There isn't really much to tell, Albus," the tiny charms-professor, who was sitting in one of the armchairs in the corner of the headmaster-office, said in a sombre tone. "Mr Potter seems to be unable to perform the Levitating Charm. I held him back after class and asked him whether he was nervous or if he couldn't concentrate or something, but he hardly answered me at all. I thought that perhaps he was intimidated by all the other students, so I let him perform the charm again after everyone had left. But the result was the same. Then, I asked him to try to cast 'Lumos', but again, nothing happened... somehow, the boy seems to be incapable of performing charms..."

The room was completely silent. It couldn't be, could it? The boy-who-lived couldn't be this powerless... he couldn't be barely more than a squib!

"Hm, perhaps charms just isn't his forte?" Albus suggested, his tone almost pleadingly.

"He is unable to transfigure a matchstick into a needle, too," the Transfiguration-Professor disabused him from that notion, "every new first-year except for him has managed it... I'm sorry, Albus, but something is certainly wrong with Mr Potter's magic. I don't know how it's possible, though... if he was a squib, his name wouldn't have appeared in the book in the first place. But he was there, I looked it up shortly after Lily had given birth to him, just to be sure! And his name would only have vanished if he had died, it's just not possible for someone to lose his magic!"

"It's not possible to survive the Killing-Curse either." Severus added, thoughtfully.

"Well... but he has gotten his letter!" Minerva argued, "he wouldn't have gotten it if he wasn't a wizard! If That Night had somehow damaged his magic it would have become apparent directly after it happened, wouldn't it, Albus? You and I saw the boy the evening after it happened!"

"Yes, yes, I think you're right, Minerva," the headmaster said, "I don't think I would have missed something like this... but anyway, it's just not possible for young Harry not to be a wizard, I mean, if he was a squib, I would have to place the same charm on him I put on Argus, otherwise he wouldn't be able to move around freely..."

"This might be true, headmaster, but have you ever truly checked the boy after he survived That Night? Or did you just assume that since he was alive everything must be all right?" The guilty face of the headmaster was all Severus needed as an answer. "Are you mad, Albus!? The child had just been hit by the Killing-Curse and you never even bothered to check whether this experience had somehow damaged the boy? Do I really need to explain to you that exposure to dark magic leaves always traces? What did you do with the boy, Dumbledore?! Just rang up Petunia and told he to take the son of her just-deceased sister and raise him?!"

"No, he laid him on her doorstep and put a letter in his blankets" Minerva spat. She had never really forgiven her employee for just leaving little Harry alone like this. And she surely hadn't forgiven herself for letting Albus do so.

"You- WHAT?!"

"Now, now, Severus, I cast several protection-charms, Harry was perfectly safe! And when Petunia took him in in the morning she activated the blood-wards, nothing could have possibly happened to him!" Albus tried to placate his youngest staff-member.

"Are you that thick, Albus?! The boy had not only just survived the worst curse possible, but he had also somehow banished the darkest wizard of recent history and seen his mother die! Not to mention being buried under the rubble of the Potter's house - and you just left him on someone's doorstep?! A MUGGLE doorstep nonetheless?! Did it never occur to you that, if there had been something wrong with him, there would have been nothing Petunia could have done about it, you foolish coot?"

"But he was OK!" Albus protested.

"Ah, and you could see this just by looking at him? The least you could have done was to check him for any major damages the curse could have inflicted! Of course, any responsible person would have brought the child to St. Mungo's - don't interrupt me, Dumbledore, I know that St Mungo's wouldn't have been save for the boy that had just conquered the Dark Lord, but you should have done something!"

The headmaster sighed. "Perhaps you are right, Severus... I just... well, I didn't want to expose the little child to additional invasive spells... surely it can't be good for such a young child to be subjected to too many powerful spells! And... Hagrid told us he was all right, and he seemed to be completely healthy... apart from the cut on his forehead, of course..."
Dumbledore paused. Could the scar have something to do with Harry being unable to perform magic? The scar was the symbol of Harry's link with Tom. The indication that Harry would have to kill Tom. Or being killed by him. But could it be more? Sure, he had thought about different possibilities, but then, it couldn't be something bad, could it? The child seemed to be reasonably happy, he had already started to make friends, he had been sorted into Gryffindor ... he tried to squelch the uneasy feeling he got when he thought about the boy's sorting.

Severus observed Albus closely. The old coot was clearly hiding something. "Maybe it would be better for the boy to stop attending classes?"

"But Severus, Harry needs to be trained! He can't just attend muggle-school, he is a wizard!" Minerva objected. She wouldn't allow one of her new lions being taken away from her after just a few days of classes! Harry might not be powerful, but he was a wizard, and a Gryffindor!

"I don't mean he should be pulled out of Hogwarts completely, Minerva, but of what avail is it if the boy attends classes and constantly fails to perform the required spells?"

"Well, he can at least learn the theory..."

"Severus, Poppy mentioned that you have found some information regarding Harry's health?" Albus interrupted, clearly intending to stir the conversation away from Harry's lack of magical power.

"Yes," Severus frowned. Did the headmaster think that by ignoring the boy's problems they would just go away? "I don't think it would be appropriate to discuss my findings in front of all heads, though." He cast a meaningful look at Pomona and Filius. He might not like the boy but he wouldn't violate a students privacy like this.

"Ah yes... ehm, perhaps you and I can talk about it later, then?" When no opposition came, the headmaster continued with some of the more mundane issues that arose almost every year.
It wasn't much later, though, that the heads of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw retreated to their respective quarters and only Severus, Albus and Minerva (as Harry's head of house) stayed behind in Albus' office.

"So, Severus, what did you find out?"

"The boy seems to have a mental illness, or more specifically something they call 'psychosis'. Well, or so they thought anyway. I haven't found out yet whether it could be somehow related to the fact that he's a wizard. I have never heard of anything similar, however, and I'm quite sure if it was only the fact that the boy can do magic - or at least should be able to do so - we would already know about it. I mean, if the muggles would have learned of magic and considered it a mental illness surely we - or at least some people in the Ministry and therefore you, too, Albus - would be aware of this? According to the books, it isn't a newly discovered illness but rather something that has existed as long as the books can tell. A few decades ago, scientists seems to have invented new substances to treat these kinds of illnesses, though, and some of these drugs are the very same Potter takes - or took... I haven't been able to find out much more, though. There might be other illnesses that are treated with the same drugs, I don't know..."

"But what does this medicine do?" Minerva demanded.

"It affects his mind. Yes, these mental illnesses, they seem to be rather similar to the effects certain curses can have on people's mind... and they are quite common amongst muggles. I don't know whether wizards are somehow immune to them or whether the healers are just too focused on magical diseases to recognize them... wouldn't be the first time the esteemed staff of St Mungo's is unable to cure simple muggle-illnesses!" Severus sneered.

"So... Harry's mind his somehow... damaged?"

"It certainly seems so."

"But why? I mean, there must be a reason for something like this to happen! He's just a child, after all!" Minerva was clearly upset. Albus, however, gazed into nothingness, deep in thoughts.

"Apparently, they haven't found anything specific yet. There are certain... theories, but it is quite clear that they don't know very much about these kinds of disorders."

"But how can they treat the people if they don't know what's the cause of everything? You said that Harry has taken all these pot- eh, medicines because of this- this pycosis!"

"They treat the symptoms. You know, like giving people who have caught a cold a pepper-up potion."

The room was silent while each of the three people present was lost in his own thoughts. Minerva tried to make sense of everything she had just learnt, Dumbledore tried (and failed) to suppress the feeling that all of this might have something to do with the failed Avada Kedavra or the prophecy, and Severus... well, Severus discreetly observed the headmaster, trying to determine how much the old man knew and whether he was hiding something that could be of importance.
He might somehow be indebted to Albus, as he would have never stayed out of Azkaban if not for the headmaster's claim that he had been a spy, but this didn't mean that he trusted the man blindly. No, the potion-master was well aware that Dumbledore kept many things for himself if he thought it would serve some dubious "Greater Good". There was no doubt that he was a great wizard and devoted to the light, but this hadn't prevented him from making some terrible mistakes in the past, mistakes other people had paid for with their health or even life.
Who knew whether his questionable handling of Harry hadn't been another one of these mistakes?

"I suppose someone will need to go and see the doctor who has prescribed the medicine. Considering Potter's behaviour and the... naturalness with that he takes all these pills I doubt it is something that has only occurred recently." The potion-master explained. He wasn't sure how Albus would react to this. If this was some kind of dubious plan of him, he might very well oppose any further investigation.

"Yes, my boy, I think you're right..." OK, perhaps, for a change, it wasn't something that Albus had planned all along? "Are you willing to carry out the task?"

"Me?! Why me?!" Again, Severus mentally added. Wasn't it enough that he had been responsible for finding out what was wrong with the boy, a job that clearly pertained to the competence of the medi-witch?

"Well, you seems to be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to these kind of things. And you have already proved yourself to be able to get any information one could possibly want."

"You know, Albus, that the people responsible for the boy's past treatment are muggles? Legilimency doesn't work when it is done on muggles!"

"I'm well aware of it, Severus, however, I'm confident that you'll find means to extract any information we might need. Of course, I will provide you with all the information I have regarding Harry's upbringing... perhaps it would even suffice to speak to Lily's sister? Perhaps it isn't something as unusual as it seems to be... after all, there are quite a few funny rituals muggles have invented over the course of time to make up for the lack of magic..."

Severus shared a meaningful look with Minerva, who had stayed silent throughout their conversation (as there wasn't much useful the transfiguration-professor could contribute to the subject at hand anyway). Again, their employee showed a remarkable talent for convincing himself that everything might be all right. Or was he only trying to appease his two professors? Severus didn't know. Sometimes he thought that he preferred people like the Dark Lord over meddlesome, allegedly light wizards. At least the Dark Lord had always made it clear where he stood. Something you couldn't say of Albus.

Just when he was about to deny the headmaster's request - he was paid for teaching the brats potion, not for acting as the general dogsbody - Severus noticed Minerva giving him a slight nod. The head-lioness was all right with him being responsible for the Potter-quest?! He had assumed she would veto any notion that put a snake in charge of one of her precious cubs!
He gave her a questioning glance and received another nod in reply. OK, something very strange was going on. But apparently, McGonagall had decided that she wouldn't say anything in front of the headmaster. There was only one thing Severus could do.

"OK, Albus, I'll do it. But if you don't mind, I think it would be reasonable to speak with the boy himself before questioning his relatives. Or doctors."

"Of course, my boy! I trust you'll come to me if you need any information about Petunia?" He received a nod and continued. "All right, I expect a report about how things are progressing in... let's say two weeks? This should be enough time to find out whether we need to do something about Harry and his... problems."

###

A few minutes later, the potion-master and the transfiguration-professor were on their way to the dungeons. Neither of them said anything until Severus had closed the door of his quarters behind them.

"What the hell is going on, Minerva?" He demanded, annoyed. This term wasn't anything he had expected it to be. Instead of assigning the Potter-brat detentions and deducting points, he spent his free times reading muggle-books about mental illnesses and now he even played host of the head of Gryffindor herself! Why couldn't the boy just be like his father?! Surely this couldn't be as stressful as his actual state was, could it?

"I don't pretend to understand what exactly is wrong with Harry, but I want to know what is going on and whether Albus knows anything he doesn't tell us! I can't quite believe that he has no idea of what might be the reason for Harry's behaviour and this... this mecin and everything! When he left him with those muggles - I was there.." Minerva swallowed.

"Why do you think Albus is hiding something?" Severus asked, curiously. Hadn't it been Minerva who had always supported Albus in everything he did, claiming they needed to trust the headmaster even if some of his decisions might be somehow... odd?

"I don't know... it's just- I saw the boy yelling and screaming at Poppy when she didn't want to give him this mecin, and he just... I don't know, he is so different from all the other first-years. Something isn't right about him, I can feel it! And then... Albus didn't say so, but that night - he was worried about the cut Harry had sustained. I asked him whether there wasn't something he could do about it, but he just said that scars could be useful... how could a scar on the forehead possibly be useful, apart from preventing the poor boy from going anywhere without being recognized?! I can't really explain it,Severus, it's just a feeling that Albus knows more then he lets on. And that it might not be in Harry's best interest if this continues..."

"Hm... what did he say exactly about the scar and... and what had happened - that night?" He really didn't want to think back to those days, probably the worst time of his entire life. Apparently, though, his wish wouldn't be granted. 'And all because of Potter', Severus thought, but somehow he couldn't summon the energy to be properly furious about the brat's annoying habit of disturbing his peace.

"If I remember correctly, he just rambled about how useful his own scar above his left knee was - though I really don't know how he would explain it to the muggles if he undressed himself in the London Underground just to find his way - and said that there wasn't something he could do about Harry's injury, and that even if he could heal the cut, he wouldn't do it... I don't know whether I understood him correctly, Hagrid was weeping rather nosily, but I think he mumbled something about a mark that would predetermine the boy's future..."

"Hm... so what do you expect me to do?" Severus asked, still suspicious whether Minerva just wanted him to be too occupied with the Potter-quest to assign too many detentions to her Gryffindor-brat's.

"Well, just find out what the hell is wrong with Harry and how we can help him!"

"Even if this meant to oppose any plans the old codger may have for the boy?" The potion-master was sure that this argument would save him from additional bothersome trips and enquiries regarding the new Gryffindor. After all, Minerva - or any Gryffindor for that matter - would never oppose the great Albus Dumbledore!

"Yes."

The next two hours, Severus spent taking stock of all his mind-altering potion, trying to figure out which one was missing.


"Potter, stay after class!" The potion-master snapped when the bell rang, announcing the end of the first potion-class of the Gryffindor and Slytherin first-years. It hadn't been fun. Originally, Severus had planned to quiz Potter on some potion-related topics no normal first-year would know about, but after everything that had transpired during the last few days he had come to the conclusion that it might be easier to question the boy about his life before Hogwarts without having him intimidated beforehand. "Potter! Haven't you heard what I said?!"

Harry startled when Ron poked him in the ribs. "He's talking to you!" The red-head, who had sat next to Harry in every class they had had so far, hissed, and cast a wary glance at the potion-master. Harry, who had been busy clearing up the desk, followed his gaze and swallowed. Uh oh. The professor looked really angry. "Yes, Professor?"

"Stay after class!"

"Uh, yes..." Harry wondered what the professor could possibly want. As far as he could tell, he hadn't done anything wrong while brewing the potion. Which was mostly due to Ron's help, though, he had to admit. Without his new friend, Harry supposed he would have been lost. Ron had prevented him more than once from forgetting to add ingredients to the potion - Harry just couldn't keep track on everything you had to do while brewing potions, cutting weird stuff, stirring regularly clockwise or counter-clockwise, adding the right things at exactly the right moment, not losing track of time... and even so Harry was glad that, apart from herbology and history, there seemed to be another class that didn't require him waving that stupid wand, he assumed potions would be the most difficult subject from all of them.

But then it occurred to him. Perhaps the professor would show him how to use the wand? After all, he had promised to help Harry! And now he even stuck to his promise! As far as Harry remembered, nobody had ever done so! How very nice of the professor!
Quite cheerfully now, he turned his attention to the other students, who trickled out of the classroom. A few of them eyed Harry either with pity or disdain.
That were the Slytherins. Until now, Harry hadn't notice anything particularly evil about them, despite Ron's claims to the contrary. Sure, they didn't seem to like him, but his family didn't either. But Harry was positive that the Dursley's didn't hate him, after all, they had taken him in when nobody else had wanted him and had kept him even when he had gone nuts. Not many families would have done this, even Dr Green had said so! So he didn't really understand why Ron kept insisting on all Slytherin's being evil, but since the other boy seemed to be far more knowledgeable about everything wizardish, Harry considered it would be better to keep his distance from the snakes.

He noticed that Ron didn't show any sign of leaving the room with all the other students but remained seated, a determined (if somehow terrified) expression on his face.

"Mr Weasley, I'm quite certain I only asked Mr Potter to stay behind." Obviously, Snape had noticed Ron's unwillingness to leave, too.

"I wait for him!" The boy in question squeaked, trying and failing to sound brave.

"Then wait outside this classroom. Out! Now!"

"But... I stay with Harry! He's my friend!" Ron wasn't a Gryffindor for nothing. But even he had to admit that an enraged potions-masters was almost as fearsome as the spider Fred and George had hidden under his blanket the night before they had left for Hogwarts.

Snape inwardly groaned. Gryffindors! No sense of self-preservation! "15 points from Gryffindor and it will we 10 more for each minute you fail to leave this room! Now, remove yourself from this classroom! Or do you care for helping Filch scrubbing the toilets, too?"

That did it. Casting an apologetic glance at Harry, the red-head turned around and hurried out of the classroom. The potion-master flicked his wand in the direction of the door and it swung shut.

"Now, Potter, there has been some confusion as to why you have to take this medicine. Since the people normally responsible for you are too... uninformed to be of much use, it has fallen to me to- WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!"

Harry flinched. The knife he and Ron had used to cut the ingredients for their boil-cure potion fell from his hand and landed on the ground, clattering. "I... I suppose Ron forget to put the knife away.." he answered, dazed. This had been close. If the professor hadn't yelled at him like this, the demon might very well have managed to slit his throat! He really, really didn't like all these knives they had here at Hogwarts. Not only had he to fight the demon at each meal, but now he even had to be on his guard during classes!
Throughout the lesson, Harry had tried very hard to stay as far away from the knife as possible. He had told Ron that he wasn't really good in handling knives, and the boy had accepted it even if it meant he had to do all the cutting (they had agreed on Harry clearing up the table, though). Nevertheless, Harry felt bad about it, but on the other hand, he couldn't risk the demon - who had also noticed the knife, Harry could tell it - getting hold of it and cutting him in front of the entire class. Or even hurting other. Sure, the demon had never done this before, but Harry wouldn't put it past him to try.
But why did it have to happen today of all the times? Now that the professor had seen for himself what a mad freak Harry was he surely wouldn't help him figuring out how to use this stupid wand! Harry's shoulders slumped. Great. He might have just mugged up the only chance he might have had to stay at Hogwarts.

Severus felt his heart-rate slowing down again. For a moment, he had thought the boy was about to attack him - or himself? - with the knife. Had imagined to see a strangely familiar, red glint in Harry's eyes.
Perhaps his mind was playing tricks on him? Or it was because of all that stuff he had read in the books, about mentally ill people who had killed or hurt themselves or others. As if Potter would ever do such a thing! Even if the boy really was mentally ill, it must be a cry for attention and perhaps buried memories about That Night that caused him to have nightmares. Yes, Potter - like his father - would never think of stabbing someone with a knife or even hurting himself. Gryffindors might kill someone out of sheer stupidity, but their twisted sense of right and wrong would never allow them to murder a person just for pleasure.

"Potter!" Severus decided to try a direct approach, "you will tell me what exactly has happened during your stay with those muggles! And rest assured, you won't leave this room until I'm fully satisfied with your answers!"


Chapter End Notes:
Next Chapter: Severus and Harry talk and the Potion Master makes some important discoveries