Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Bonds

After leaving his dad, Snape drew in a slow breath and entered the bedroom he was to share with Aurora. The rich scent of berries instantly filled his nostrils, his body relaxing as he recognized her sweet smell. His eyes looked over the room slowly as he searched for Aurora. However, with the only object in the room being a bed, he found himself glancing at the semi-opened door. He took several steps forward, hearing a hissing noise behind him. He whirled around, frowning when he noticed that the door he had just walked through had now vanished—leaving behind just the plain gray cement wall.

"Severus?" Aurora called from behind the partly opened door to his left.

"Yes. Are you all right?"

"Oh, Severus, you have to come in here and see this."

Judging from how happy she sounded, he assumed she had said it with a smile. So, he paused for a moment before heading towards the other room. He stopped just outside it as a thought occurred.

"You are decent, aren't you?" While they had been sleeping beside one another for the past month, they hadn't exactly crossed that particular bridge yet. One kiss and one declaration of feelings. That was all their relationship consisted of currently. Well, that and a hell of a lot of flirting.

"Oh, just get in here," she replied with a loud laugh. "Honestly."

He quickly walked into the other room, slowing when he saw the rectangular pool filled with bubbles taking up as much room as half of the Great Hall in his opinion. His eyes narrowed. A toilet and an enormous bath fixed with many taps were in this room, yet the bedroom only had a bed? What?

"Remind you of anything?" She smiled widely.

"It bears a striking resemblance to the Prefect's bathroom, yes," he agreed, feeling slightly uncomfortable standing fully clothed, while she stood there chest deep behind bubbles in her bath.

Her smile faltered slightly as seriousness took over. "Severus, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. I-I was not aware that you were taking a bath, however, Aurora."

"Yeah, probably should've mentioned that detail." She laughed. "You should join me, though."

He started coughing violently the moment he heard her suggestion. "Excuse me?"

"What?" She smiled warmly, laughing at his shocked look. "Come on. There's more than enough room in here for you. Hell, we could fit everyone at Hogwarts in here. And, well, you look positively filthy, Severus. You could use a bath." She laughed when he glared at her. "Oh, come on. Don't give me that look." She smiled, her eyes sparkling. "I just mean that we both got dirty when we were crawling out of that window. Frankly, and I'm sure you'll agree, there's no reason why we can't share this bath. Well, unless you think I'll bite."

"How about that you and I are not intimate with one another?"

"Oh, don't give me that. We've slept beside each other for a month, Severus."

"Yes, fully clothed!" he retorted. "This would be crossing a line." He chastised himself when he heard the slight edge to his voice. Honestly! Where was his usual control?

"Severus." Her eyes narrowed. "Are you afraid I'll jump you? Is that what this is all about?"

"No. Of course not." He shook his head as he stared at her. It's more like I'm afraid I'll jump you, Aurora, he added in his head, tensing at the thought a moment later.

"Then, what is it? You're acting rather odd right now."

"I just cannot do this right now. With you." He watched the hurt pass behind her eyes before she hid it. He sighed in response. "That came out wrong. I just do not feel comfortable with this, Aurora."

"All right." She shrugged. "You're right. We're taking it slow."

"Yes," he agreed, nodding once. "Slow."

"Will you at least stay here?" She bit her bottom lip. "So I'm not alone?"

He stared at her, swallowing slowly. Was she truly that comfortable with him that she'd allow him to watch her bathe? Wasn't that supposed to be a private moment anyway? He then frowned inwardly as he watched the various emotions play across her face. Or perhaps it was that she didn't want to be alone again—that her fear of being taken was plaguing her thoughts once more.

"I suppose. If it's acceptable with you." He watched her nod instantly. "Then, I'll stay." She smiled before she dove under the bubbles for a moment before resurfacing. He sighed silently and sat down a respectable distance from her, but still within her line of sight.

"Severus?" He glanced at her. "What do you think of him? Tobias?"

"He is certainly not the man I grew up with," Snape remarked. "However, he is telling the truth."

"Let me guess. Legilimency?" she asked with a knowing playful smile.

"Legilimency," he repeated with a nod. "It was brief, but it gave me a bit more evidence that supported his claims." He shook his head slowly. "My mother once told me when I was four or five that my father wasn't always the wife-beating bastard I thought he was. I didn't believe her of course."

"And now?"

"Now, I've seen the proof." He ran a hand through his raven locks. "Their theory is plausible given the cunning nature of the Dark Lord. And my mother's bloodline was considered quite strong from what I've been told. He could have easily created some elaborate ruse starting from my birth to ensure that I'd join him—that he'd have a member of the Prince family in his ranks. He was quite clearly one for manipulating popular Pureblood beliefs and—for the lack of a better word—collecting members of powerful Pureblood families. So with my hatred of the man I believed to be my father coupled with my fascination with the Dark Arts, I was an easy target. Like so many others."

"Harry seems to like him. A lot really from what I've seen."

"I'm beginning to think my son would adopt Thestrals into our family if given the chance." He felt the corners of his lips upturn slightly at the sound of Aurora's laugh. He then sighed as his mind wandered back to his conversation with Tobias.

"Galleon for your thoughts, Severus?"

"Dumbledore has been lying to us for quite some time. He knows more than he's telling."

"Well, yes, but hasn't that always been a given, Severus?" She shrugged. "He always keeps his little secrets close until he's ready to reveal them. Pisses me off frankly."

"He knew Tobias was my father, Aurora. He knew for a year, and he didn't say a word."

"I know. Well, not really, but how would you have taken it if he had told you? Good? Bad?" She paused for a moment. "My bet is that it'd be bad. That you'd be the stubborn man you always are and not believe him." She waded near the edge close to him. "Your childhood was heartbreaking, Severus. You experienced things that no child should ever witness and go through." She frowned, holding his eyes. "As manipulative and cunning Albus is, I know in my heart that he doesn't want to hurt you, Severus. Deep down, I think he does love you."

"He has a funny way of showing it," Snape remarked with a frown.

"Severus, do you know when you and Harry went missing this past summer what he was doing?" She waited for him to look at her. "Albus called in every favor he could. He spoke to numerous Order members. Hell, he even reached out to Lucius at one point to see if the Dark Lord had taken you two."

"That only shows he cares about the stupid Prophecy concerning Harry. That doesn't show—"

"Severus, listen to me." She sighed, running a hand through her dark curls. "After he spoke with Lucius, he went to Nurmengard alone. He asked Grindelwald if he had somehow managed to order his followers to kidnap you two. You know how hard that is, to talk to a man like that."

"How do you know he went to Nurmengard?"

"Minerva told me," she answered with another shrug. "She stayed with Dumbledore because quite frankly it was scary as all hell—you two missing, I mean. She also told me that his mind was frequently on you, Severus. That he believes in his heart that he failed you. Because he didn't attempt to reach out to you, to help you. Instead, he turned a blind eye when he could have helped."

"That's ridiculous." Snape shook his head, glancing away. He was already beyond saving at that point. No matter what the man had said, he'd not have listened to the Gryffindor—not after the shown favoritism to the snotty Lions.

"Severus," she started to say, frowning when he gave her a dark look.

"Don't, Sinistra. Just drop it and leave it alone."

"Fine," she grudgingly replied, heading further back from him—likely to finish her bath.

Snape exhaled slowly before he silently removed the letter from his pocket. He frowned as he stared down at the aged parchment. No good would come of this letter. He knew that. But he couldn't just toss it away either. Not something that Lily had penned for him. There was just something inside him that needed to know her final thoughts. He couldn't explain it.

Slowly, he opened the letter and stared down at the elegant cursive. If push came to shove, he'd have Aurora to lean on. That much was certain. He drew in a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment. Rayne was right. His being stuck in the past was causing him to miss out on so much. He opened his eyes and read the letter, then.

October 29, 1981

Of all the things I thought you were capable of, I could never have guessed this. He informed me today. Professor Dumbledore. About your little talk the other day. About how you begged your master to spare me in exchange for the deaths of my son and husband. Do you honestly think I'd ever want to be with someone like you? Someone who cares so little about others unless it comes to the people he so-call loves? You disgust me.

Snape inhaled sharply, his hands trembling with the letter he clutched so tightly. He felt sick. He felt as if someone had repeatedly hit him in the gut, a thousand Cruciatus Curses cast on him. His eyes darted to Aurora, noticing that she had turned her back to him as she washed her hair. He swallowed the bile that collected in the back of his throat and closed his eyes, forcing the air into his lungs. It was just a letter. That was it. Just a stupid letter. He drew in a slow breath, opening his eyes and staring down at the shaking letter in his hands to finish reading it.

Do you honestly think I'd slip back into your bed after losing my husband? After losing my son? I love James, Severus. Not you! I would never love you! That night last year was a mistake. One I deeply regret making. So much so that I have removed every single shred of you from Harry. I wish I never met you. I wish I never slept with you. And above all, I wish Harry was James's son and not yours. When your master comes to kill us, and he gives me that choice—between stepping aside for you and dying beside my husband, know this. With all my heart, I will always choose James over you! I'd rather be with an arrogant git like him than be with a soulless monster like you!

The letter slipped from his hands as he drew in a shaky breath. "Aur—" He watched her turn around before she rushed towards him. Lily was wrong. He was not a soulless monster. He wasn't.

He closed his eyes as he felt Aurora's arms wrap around him. He could feel her warmth, burying his face into her neck. He wasn't a soulless monster. He wasn't. Lily was wrong. He drew in another shaky breath, chastising himself for his weakness. It was just a stupid letter from a dead woman.

"Lily's wrong. I'm not. I feel. I care. I love! I'm not the soulless monster she thinks I am!"

"Of course you're not, Severus. I've never thought that. Not once. Shh. It's okay. I've got you."

He felt Aurora rub his back gently and inhaled again. The rich scent of berries filled him, helping him center himself. It was just a stupid letter. Lily didn't know him. Not anymore. He held Aurora, drawing in another slow breath. She was wrong!

When Aurora grabbed his head, forcing him to look at her, he swallowed back his heartache. Would he hurt her? Was that what the Fates were trying to tell him now? Would he make her that angry someday, to the point where she'd write a letter full of hate to him? Where she'd call him a soulless monster? He held Aurora's warm, forgiving eyes. No. He knew in his heart that she wouldn't.

"Look at me." She brushed back his hair with a faint smile. "I know in my heart that you are so much better of a man than what she ever thought of you, ever gave you credit for being. You made a mistake. A horrible one that hurt you deeply and has affected you greatly. But, Severus, you are doing everything you can to redeem yourself, to make it right." She smiled faintly, caressing his cheek. "You are not the angry sixteen year old you used to be, the one who had to prove to others that he was worth something, worth being loved and worth being respected."

He closed his eyes, leaning into her hand.

"You let me in that night," she whispered with a faint smile. "Do you remember? You showed me I was right. That you were the man I knew you to be in my heart, not the man others believed you to be—wrote you off to be. You're not evil. You have a strong moral compass, knowing that things the Dark Lord does are wrong but are forced to do them regardless as not to give away your true self—to lose your chance to protect your son. You're not soulless either. You feel each death, each pain inflicted on others. You hide it away, but you feel it. And you are most certainly not a monster. You don't get off on the pain and heartbreak of others. Evans was wrong. You are a good, honest man, Severus, who is human and who has made mistakes just like the rest of us—even her."

~FKTF~

Harry yawned the following morning, rolling over in his bed and frowning. He was back at Hogwarts again. He didn't remember coming back here, though. He sat up slowly, glancing around. Last night he had fallen asleep in a replica of the tent he had shared with his father while they were on vacation. He was in the dungeons now, though, his dad's rooms specifically. He tossed his sheets aside, quickly walking out. The smell of a warm breakfast surrounded him. Someone was cooking.

Following the smell into the kitchenette, he smiled when he saw Tobias flipping bacon in a pan.

"You cook?"

"Oh, yeah." Tobias chuckled. "Ain't nothin' more relaxin' to me than to cook. Sit."

Harry glanced down the corridor towards his dad's closed bedroom door. It was rare that Harry was up before his father. He then glanced back at Tobias.

"How did we get back to Hogwarts?"

"Calisto. It's one of the many tricks she can do." Tobias winked at him as the bacon sizzled loudly. "She did it when we were all sleeping."

"Why?"

"Well, ya got practice, and that's important. Way I hear it, yer mighty good too. That, and we weren't really supposed to fall asleep there. Ain't really a good place to be if you want a restful night's sleep." Tobias chuckled when Harry's eyes narrowed. "Ya noticed the room changed last night, right?" Harry nodded. "Some people wouldn't ever want to leave, ya know?"

"I suppose." Harry thought back to the Mirror of Erised. Dumbledore had told him something similar then. He then watched Tobias fix his plate. "Thanks."

"Anytime."

Harry silently grabbed a fork before he started to eat. It felt weird being up before his dad. His eyes darted to the closed door once more. Was his dad all right?

"So. Why don't ya tell me a bit 'bout yourself, Potter? Since we ain't exactly come to that yet."

Harry turned back instantly. He gave Tobias a faint smile. The man was trying to get to know him. That was good, wasn't it?

"Yeah. Sure. Um, well, I'm a second year Gryffindor. House of the brave." He watched Tobias nod slowly, clearly not understanding what Gryffindor meant. "I play Quidditch. It's, um, like a really wicked game where a team who has the most points at the end wins. You get points either by throwing a ball, the Quaffle, through the opposing team's hoops or catching a tiny little flying ball with wings, the Golden Snitch." He laughed when Tobias nodded slowly.

"All right. Got it. I think. What do ya do on the team?"

"I catch the Snitch. Basically, whichever Seeker—the player who can chase the Snitch—catches the flying ball first wins the game for their team."

"Interestin'."

"Yeah. It's pretty wicked," Harry said with a grin.

"Yer team any good?"

"Well, yeah. Or our captain would have our butts out there practicing all day every day instead of the three hours we have now." Harry watched Tobias nod slowly again.

"Ya keep up with yer grades, though?"

Harry shrugged slightly. "Yeah. Somewhat. I mean, Dad makes me redo any essays when they come back below Acceptable now."

"Good man. It's important to learn that kind of stuff. Theory behind it."

"What about you?"

"I didn't go to no fancy school like this. I'll tell ya that." Tobias chuckled. "Got my letter, though. To go here. Hogwarts. My dad found it in the post and burned it. Said I didn't need to go to no school to become a bigger freak than I already was."

Harry frowned. "Sounds like my Uncle Vernon."

"Yer Uncle Vernon?" Tobias asked, frowning as well. "Who's that?"

"My mum's sister's husband," Harry answered. "He used to tell me I was a freak all the time when I lived with him. He boarded up the door to keep the letters out once. Until they came through the chimney that was. Then he just packed all of us up and tried getting out dodge."

"Why'd ya live with him? Why'd ya not live with yer dad?"

Harry sighed loudly, glancing down at his plate. "Lily didn't tell Dad that I was his. He found out last year when an old letter of hers showed up. Dad and I actually just sort of got close last year. When bad things started to happen."

"When ya nearly died," Tobias quietly stated.

"Yeah. You knew about that?"

"Albus told me. No details, course. Just that there was a bit of a scare. Somethin' 'bout ya getting' attacked in the forest or somethin'. Later he told me that ya, him, and yer professor saved the school when the git that attacked ya tried again."

"Professor Quirrell," Harry said softly. "He had, well, you-know-who in his head."

"Sucked for him I bet."

"Yeah. He, well, he took Mum into this chamber thing. He wanted this stone or something. He hurt her. Then when I showed up, he tried to hurt me. Dad came a bit later. I thought Professor Quirrell was going to kill us so I, well, I touched him, and he . . . sort of died. Dumbledore said that it wasn't my fault, though. That Professor Quirrell was already dead. That I hadn't killed him or anything. According to him, I couldn't save Professor Quirrell."

"I'd reckon he's right, Harry. Albus is a smart man after all." Tobias sighed. "Ya and yer dad talk at all 'bout that day?"

"Some. Not a lot, though." The twelve-year-old shrugged.

"Ya did the right thing. Ya know that, right, Harry? Ya protected yer dad and ya."

Harry glanced at Tobias, sighing. "I know, but I still killed a man. Even if Dumbledore says I didn't. I know I did. I watched him . . . you know."

"Defendin' yerself against a man who wants to hurt ya and yer family, Harry, is never somethin' ya should feel guilty over. Ya did what ya had to do in order to survive. And I'm glad ya did." Tobias gave Harry a soft smile before carding Harry's hair. "Now, go on. Finish yer food before it gets cold."

~FKTF~

An hour later, Snape slowly emerged from his room. Wearing just a pair of sweatpants, he walked down the corridor and into the kitchenette, frowning when he saw the plate of steaming food on the table. He glanced towards the light-haired blue-eyed man who had placed the plate down.

"Mornin', Severus," Tobias said with a polite smile.

"Morning," Snape replied evenly.

"Before ya ask, Harry's gone off to his Wood Itch practice. I made sure he ate before he ran off, though. And that blond guy that was with us last night—he's off with Calisto."

Snape inclined his head slowly. He didn't feel like correcting the man's 'Wood Itch' statement. He inhaled slowly, smelling the bacon and eggs.

"Didn't know what ya guys like so I made a bit of everythin' this mornin'. Is Princess goin' to join us or not?"

"Aurora is indisposed for the moment," Snape answered with a frown as he started to eat his breakfast slowly. The man clearly seemed to know his way around a kitchen from what Snape could see. And he knew that if the man had attempted to drug them, Salazar would have alerted him instantly.

"All right. Fair enough. Ya sleep good?"

Snape exhaled slowly. It was too early in the morning for this crap in his opinion. However, a part of him—tiny sliver really—was glad the older man was making the effort.

"It was adequate. However, I would like to know just when we arrived back to Hogwarts."

"Harry wanted to know that earlier, too. Calisto brought us all here after we fell asleep. It ain't exactly safe to sleep there. Good for hidin' out. Not good for sleeping."

"I see." Snape stabbed another piece of bacon before he brought it to his mouth and ate it. He ignored Tobias as the man walked past him, likely to head to the sitting room or somewhere.

"Did a cat get ya last night, Severus?"

Snape stiffened instantly at Tobias's question. He stared directly ahead at the wall, unable to move or say anything for a moment.

"Excuse me?" Snape quietly replied, holding his breath silently.

"Yer back's all scratched to hell, son."

Snape closed his eyes. Dammit. He felt his cheeks redden slightly as he drew in a slow breath. Oh, dear Merlin. He then held his hand out, wordlessly summoning a shirt from his bedroom before quickly throwing it on.

"Ah. Never mind." Tobias gave a soft chuckle. "Say no more, Severus."

Snape stabbed another piece of bacon, frowning deeply. It was beyond awkward now. The man knew. Or at least had an inkling of what had occurred last night. It was Snape's own fault, though. He knew that. He had been the one to walk out here without a shirt. His frown deepened. What if Harry had been the one to see the marks? He grimaced immediately.

"Yer bein' safe, though, right?"

Snape stiffened again before he glanced towards Tobias. Was he being safe? Had the man seriously just asked him that? He blinked.

"I'm afraid I don't—"

"Safe," Tobias repeated, shifting his weight slightly. "Like usin' protection and that sort of thing. Makin' sure ya don't get her pregnant or nothin'. Ya know." He then shook his head before he shifted his weight again. "Well, unless ya two are wantin' that I guess."

"We're not," Snape replied instantly, somehow keeping his voice steady. Merlin, he wasn't taking things that fast yet. Children. Babies. He couldn't even imagine Aurora and him having a child together right now. He then frowned as he thought on it. Had he used anything last night with her? He couldn't recall it actually.

"Severus?" Tobias waited until he glanced at him. "Yer mum did talk to ya about all that, right?"

"I've received the talk, yes," Snape responded stiffly. Had the man really thought that Snape had gone through life, being thirty-two now, without receiving it? He studied his father's face for a moment. No. There was no way the man thought that. Tobias was just trying to make up for lost time likely. This wasn't just overwhelming for only Snape after all.

Tobias was suddenly a father of a thirty-two year old man now. He had missed out on birthdays, milestones, and just everyday occurrences with his son. Much like how Snape had missed out on Harry's. He frowned. It was easier with Harry since the boy still needed guidance. Snape didn't need that anymore, though. He was pretty certain he didn't at least.

"Oh good. Cause honestly I wasn't lookin' forward to that discussion," Tobias said with a sigh of relief. "Have ya two been together long? Ya and Aurora, I mean?"

Snape shook his head. "No. It's been approximately six weeks."

"Six weeks?" Tobias whistled. "Don't take this the wrong way, but ya held out longer than I'd have, son." He chuckled. "Yer mum and I—well, it was the second date for us."

Snape grimaced instantly. He really didn't want to hear the intimate details of his parents' relationship. Ever. He grabbed his glass, drinking as he tried to focus his mind on something else.

"When I found out yer mum was pregnant—boy, was that a shock—I married her. To make sure she'd be an honest woman and all that. Didn't want no one givin' her any crap about bein' an unwed mum or anythin'. Course, El didn't care about that. Hell, if anyone had given her shit, she'd have hexed the hell out of 'em. Yer mum's a strong woman, son. Stubborn mule at times, but damn is she strong."

Snape nodded slowly. He agreed wholeheartedly. His mother had taken the abuse for years, shielding her son from most of it whenever she could. It wasn't until the magic suppressant had worn off once that he saw the fight in his mother. She had nearly succeeded in getting both she and her son away from the abusive bastard they lived with. He recalled being mere inches from the window when the bastard caught them, yanking them both back into the row house.

"It's why I gotta find her, son," Tobias quietly said. "To make things right again. I mean, I ain't an idiot, though. I know she'll react the same way you did. Hell, I'll likely get hexed within an inch of my life knowing her. But I love her. And I ain't stoppin' for nothin' until I find her, ya know?"

"I do." Snape knew he'd be the exact same way if someone took Aurora from him now. "We'll find Mother together, though." He watched Tobias glance sideways at him. "Just so she doesn't kill you by accident." He smiled inwardly when he heard his father's chuckle.