Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The flowers I allude to in this chapter come from the fic, "I Never Expected This" by blueartemis. Enjoy.
Moste Potente Potions

Four days later, Harry's mind was still reeling from the week's events. While he had been off with his dad and everyone on Halloween far from Hogwarts, Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat, had been attacked by something. Ron had described the scene as being sick with the cat hanging upside down by its tail from one of the torch brackets, frozen in place. Beside Mrs. Norris written on the walls were the words: "THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPEN. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE." Hermione had been quick to point out that Mrs. Norris's Petrification wasn't the result of a spell, which put Harry slightly on edge for some reason. The young boy couldn't stop thinking about how it could be related to the people trying to take his mum now. However, Harry's dad stubbornly disagreed.

Frequent whispers about this Chamber of Secrets thing at the school spread like wildfire through the corridors and the common rooms. Everyone wanted to know more. Fear driving most of the talks. So, when it was brought up in his History of Magic class the day before, Harry found himself even more on edge, listening to Binns drone on about the chamber's legend and the rumored monster within its walls. A part of Harry wanted to march up to Dumbledore's office and ask him just what sort of school he was attending. Quirrellmort first year. Now this. What was next?

Knowing that would be foolish, however, Harry continued to go about his day as normal as it could be at Hogwarts these days. Defense class was sorely a joke. He was frequently forced to act out passages of Lockhart's books with the man. Harry hated it, but he did his best to remain respectful.

Walking in with Hermione and Ron, Harry took his seat near the back. He quickly lowered his head and tried to make himself as small as he could before Defense class started. He glanced at Ron when his friend sat beside him, Hermione taking the seat on Harry's other side.

"I've been thinking," whispered Ron as he leaned towards them. "This Heir bloke, all right? He's got to be a Slytherin, doesn't he? I reckon if we could trick one of them into telling us, we could find out which one of them it is and save the school."

"Trick them?" Harry stared at his friend for a few moments. He could already hear his dad's lecture about his one. "And how would we do that? Take Polyjuice potion?" Harry said with a snort.

His eyes darted to Hermione when he heard a book clatter to the floor. He frowned when he saw her shocked look as she stared at him. He sighed.

"What? I do listen to Dad every now and then, Hermione. Sometimes it sticks."

"Then you know that the book your dad said it is in is—"

"Most Potent Potions or something," Harry said, shrugging. "Yeah. So?"

"Moste Potente Potions," Hermione corrected before shaking her head.

"Fine. That one. Whatever, Hermione."

"Wicked. Then, let's take that potion and save the school."

"There are two problems with that, though, Ronald," Hermione said in her familiar know-it-all tone. "First being that if Harry's father finds out what we're doing, we could be in serious trouble. ("Trouble. Ha. It's our middle names!" exclaimed Ron.) Second being that Moste Potente Potions is bound to be in the Restricted Section, so we'd need a note from one of the professors."

"Well, Lockhart's an idiot. Let's use him," Ron offered, his eyes watching the Defense professor floating down the stairs from his office.

"I could ask Mum, I suppose," Harry suggested quietly. The thought of finding out the identity of the heir of Slytherin was strangely appealing to the young boy. Maybe because it'd be a distraction.

"Or you could just let your father deal with this, Harry," Hermione whispered harshly.

"Dad's busy protecting Mum and finding out what happened to his mother with Grandpa," Harry replied offhandedly. "We could do this."

"You're an idiot. Both of you."

"Come on. Think about it. If we find out that Malfoy's the heir, we can get the git back."

"It's not Malfoy, Ronald," Hermione snapped, turning away from them with a loud huff.

"Jeez. What's got her knickers in a twist this morning?"

Harry merely shrugged, turning around and noticing Lockhart staring at him with that creepy grin of his. The boy glanced down at his book instantly. Definitely his mum. He would ask her about the note tonight after classes. It was worth a shot after all. There was no reason his dad had to do it all.

~FKTF~

Snape frowned as he read through the abysmal first-year essays. Honestly. What were some of these idiots thinking when they wrote these pathetic excuses of so-called papers? He winced at a student's response to what a bezoar was. With a flourish, he wrote his spiky 'T' at the top of the parchment. He wasn't paid enough for this crap.

"Idiot," he muttered, grabbing the next one from the pile.

"Sounds like quite a few of 'em are, son," Tobias piped up from the sofa.

Snape flinched inwardly at the sound of his father's voice, but he said nothing. He still wasn't exactly comfortable calling the man anything other than Tobias. He didn't dispute anymore the fact that the man was his father. Genetics rarely lie. However, that history was still there in the forefront of Snape's mind. He couldn't shake the past regardless of the fact that the man hadn't been there.

"Hey, Severus?" The scratching of the quill paused for a moment. "When's Princess done anyway? Thought maybe we could have a late dinner or somethin' together."

"Aurora is finished at two." Snape still wasn't thrilled with the nickname Tobias had settled on for Aurora. It was unsettling to hear his father use it.

"Really? That was like a half-hour ago, son. Maybe we should go check on her, huh?"

"She's likely marking exams currently, Tobias."

"Ya really aren't worried right now?"

"I am not." He glanced towards the man when he heard the scoff. "I know that she is safe because I've asked the Baron to watch her. He'd have alerted me if something was happening."

"Unless someone got to him," his dad remarked.

"Considering that the Baron is a ghost, I sincerely doubt it."

"What would it hurt, huh? To check on her? Just for peace of mind, ya know?"

Snape sighed, setting down his quill. A break from the horrendous torture devices called essays did sound good about now. He noticed the grin spread across his father's face instantly.

"You are aware that she is my—"

"Yer girlfriend, yeah, I got it, son." Tobias chuckled when Snape's cheeks reddened a bit. "Shit, son. Ya still get all red as a tomato when anyone says the g word. Ain't nothin' to be embarrassed about. Ya picked a good one."

"You make it sound like I went to the pound and chose her like one would choose a dog."

"Nah. She ain't no dog in the slightest. Ya get her anythin' yet?"

"Get her anything? Why on earth would I get her something?"

Tobias blinked for a few moments. "Cause she's yer girlfriend, son, and ladies sort of expect to be wooed in the whole courtin' phase. Otherwise, slick gits come and sweep them up off their feet."

"I doubt that would ever be the case with Aurora."

"Oh yeah?" Tobias crossed his arms. "Why? What'd ya do that's won her heart already, huh?"

"I don't need to win her heart. She's already mine."

"Ya sure 'bout that, son?"

"Positive."

"How? Ya just sort of said ya didn't give her nothin'. So how?"

"I don't need to give her silly little trinkets. I'm enough."

Tobias burst out laughing instantly, causing Snape to frown. What was the old man laughing about? He was. She didn't need stupid little tokens of his affection. He showed her the other night how much he cared for her. Physically.

"Oh, son," Tobias said, chuckling as he wiped his eyes. "Ya got so much to learn 'bout women."

"She doesn't need me to give her stupid flowers or bracelets or whatever to know that I care for her," Snape bristled, clenching his jaw.

"Then ya told her that? That ya care for her?"

"Of course I did." His temper was getting the better of him.

"When?"

"When we started our relationship." Honestly. What did it matter when he told her?

"Ya tell her anytime lately, son?"

"No. I don't need to tell her every damn day. She knows."

"Son, I hate to break this to ya, but telling a woman once that ya love her and shaggin' her later ain't gonna cut it. Ya gotta put more effort into it. Ya two been on a date yet?"

"Not officially." Why wasn't he just getting up and leaving? Why was he just listening to Tobias get on him like this? Maybe because he knew the man wasn't acting like this to hurt him, but to help.

"Son, they want to be wooed. Swept up off their feet by Prince Charmin'. Damn. Didn't yer mum ever tell ya about those stupid fairy tales or anythin'? I mean, hell, El wasn't exactly one for that sort of shit, but El ain't like most women. Most ladies get told these stupid little fairy tales where a prince comes and rescues this pretty little lass from wherever the hell these bad gits put her, sweeps her off her feet after rescuing her, and they live happily ever after the end. They want to be treated like princesses. Told they're pretty, swung around in yer arms as ya hold 'em, kissed like there ain't no tomorrow, get all the lines like 'Where ya been all my life' and 'Yer prettier than all the damn stars in the universe.' Ya know. Crap like that. And most of 'em want to show off the jewelry or stuff we get 'em to all their girlfriends, brag to them in other words about how perfect her guy is."

"You're saying that I'm supposed to buy crap and give it to Aurora in order to play into her girlhood fantasy?" Snape replied, frowning.

"Yeah. Pretty much. But, hey, son, don't ever buy her lingerie. Trust me. That shit don't work. My kidneys are still bruised from when I did that to yer mum."

Snape grimaced. He really didn't need to hear that.

"Wait. Son, ya tellin' me ya didn't give her that ring Harry got in Birmingham last year?"

"What ring?" Snape's eyes narrowed. Harry never told him about a ring.

"The boy said—lie I know now—that ya and she were datin' back then. He saw a ring in one of the cases. Told me that it'd be for her. It was a damn nice ring."

"Did he now?" He'd be speaking with his son very soon. "I wasn't aware of any ring."

"Huh. Interestin'. I know the boy had it when he left. Course, if he does give it to ya now, I'd likely wait until yer ready to marry her. Bit more of a weddin' ring I think."

"You gave him this ring, though? Without him paying for it?"

"Yeah, course I did." Tobias shrugged. "Ain't like anyone really noticed it, now did they?"

"Why?"

"What do ya mean 'Why?' The boy said it was for ya to give to yer girlfriend. So, I figured that it was the least I could do for ya since I wasn't there when ya were growin' up. Hell, it ain't like I could do much else without ya hexin' my arse over to kingdom come." Tobias shrugged. "Not much different from how I took care of those men tailin' ya later."

"You killed them."

"Yeah, and I ain't losin' sleep over it either, son. Shit happens. Ya should know that by now."

"You murdered two people who were defense—"

"Defenseless? Ah, hell, son, ya make it sound like I killed two innocent church going people. I killed two arseholes who'd have been released by the Ministry after a few days anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"Ministry ain't holdin' people long anymore. They're releasin' them with the claim that the idiots are cured or some such bullshit like that."

"How do you know this?"

Tobias shrugged again. "Just where do ya think I been goin' to find yer mum, son? The Ministry's got answers. They just ain't willin' to provide just yet."

"You think the Ministry is holding her?"

"Nah. But I know they know more than they're lettin' on, Severus. I watched half a dozen men who got caught by those fancy Aurors be thrown back out onto the streets not long after. So somethin' mighty fishy is goin' down there. Course it could always be me bein' paranoid or something."

Snape frowned. If the Ministry was behind recent events, that wasn't good news to hear. He shook his head. The riddles surrounding them now were even more frustrating than the whole foolish Chamber of Secrets business.

"What do ya say to seein' her now, son, huh?"

The younger wizard only shook his head, though. He'd go see her alone. He pushed himself up and headed for the door, motioning for his father to remain. He truly didn't need Tobias to continue his 'princess' crap with her now.

However, the moment Snape stepped out of the portrait to leave, he paused at the muffled voices that were coming from the stairs. He frowned, narrowing his eyes. One of the voices definitely belonged to Aurora. The second—it took him a moment to realize was Lockhart.

"Now, now, my dear Aurora, I promise. It'd be just one butterbeer. That's all I ask."

"And as I told you before, Gilderoy, I respectfully have to decline. I have plans."

"Plans? At this hour? Surely, my good witch, you could cancel those plans for me. I'm certain whoever would understand," Lockhart replied in his sickly sweet voice.

Snape clenched his jaw, taking several steps out of his rooms. He could just see their shadows above him now. He glanced towards his father when Tobias stepped up beside him.

"I sincerely doubt it, Gilderoy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to be going."

"Down there, my dear Aurora? To the dungeons?"

"Yes. To the dungeons," Aurora replied with clear annoyance.

"Is it true then? That you're with our dear Potions Master?"

"I don't believe my personal life is any of your business, Gilderoy."

Snape smirked inwardly after hearing her snap at Lockhart. A part of him wanted to see her—well, her shadow—punch the blond. He knew from experience that Aurora's punches hurt.

"No. No. Of course it's not. But, well, my dear, I'm worried about you, you see."

"I'm a big girl, Gilderoy. I can take care of myself," she replied dryly.

"Of course you are, my dear. It's just, well, I'd hate for something to happen to you while you're in our dear sweet Potions Master's rooms. I mean, I would hold myself accountable then because I was the one who escorted you down here in the first place you see. And I'm aware of the subtleties of a woman, my dear Aurora—"

"Clearly you're not aware of it enough, Gilderoy. Good night." She quickly rushed down the spiral staircase then away from the Defense professor.

Snape stood firmly when she reached the bottom of the stairs and saw him. He noticed out of the corner of his eye that his dad wore a large grin. He merely raised an eyebrow at her when she shook her head, brushing past him. She seemed to be in one of those moods again. He followed her with his dad in tow once more. These bad moods of hers were starting to become more frequent.

As soon as the portrait closed behind them, he watched her shoulders sag. Curiosity started to take over. Was her annoyance due to something more than Lockhart being his usual foolish self?

"Your son asked me for a note to the Restricted Section earlier," she stated, turning around for half a moment. "He wanted the book Moste Potente Potions. I asked him why, but he became defensive and ran off. You might want to talk to him soon." She sighed, shaking her head as she pulled off her long teaching robes and set them on the hook by the door.

"Are you well?" For the moment, he was brushing off her words about his son, focusing on her.

"Fine. It's just one of those nights. Good night."

"Wait!" Tobias called out when she headed for the bedroom. "Ya forgot somethin'."

Snape watched her tense instantly before she turned back around. Her eyes darted to her robes once more before she blinked something back.

"What?"

"Might be different in yer household, but mine a pretty lady kisses her father-in-law goodnight."

Aurora laughed softly, a ghost of a smile on her face.

"I wasn't aware that Severus and I had already married, Tobias," she said lightly.

"Eh, semantics," Tobias replied with a shrug. "Now, come here. My cheek needs a kiss. And, hell, my son likely needs one, too."

Snape's eyes darted to his father instantly. He was about to protest when he noticed Aurora kiss Tobias's cheek before she kissed his then. When she whirled around and left the room, he frowned. He received just a measly kiss on the cheek? That was her goodbye to him?

"Now, let's see what she was hidin', shall we?" Tobias said.

"What?" Snape glanced at his dad, watching the man return to the table with a note in his hand a moment later. "Where did you get that?"

"Her robes." He shrugged.

"You took a note from her robes? Have you ever heard of a thing called privacy, Tobias?"

"Yeah, well, keepin' her safe's more important, ain't it, son?"

Snape didn't reply. What was he going to say after all? No it wasn't? Frowning, he glanced at the note when his father finally unfolded it. Curiosity won as he read the note.

When picked, flower's petals will produce a glow. Follows traditional color meanings. Golden symbolizes true love.

"Figures it'd be 'bout flowers," Tobias said with a sigh. "Ya know the kind she's talkin' about?"

Snape inclined his head. He would gather these particular ingredients whenever he could. They were quite rare and quite valuable to say the least. He frowned inwardly as he reread her last notation. He had never had one glow gold before. Of course he never held much stock in plant lore either.

"Got any of them around here, son?"

"No. They bloom in the spring."

"Ah." Tobias sighed. "Well, ya could always get her some daisies or somethin' then."

"I believe I'll let her rest for now." Snape then shook his head.

"Onto the boy then?"

Snape didn't respond to him. "Baron," he called out, glancing when the Slytherin ghost suddenly appeared. "Inform my son that I'd like to speak with him first thing tomorrow morning." He watched the silver bloodied ghost nod before vanishing once more.

"If it was you, I'd tread lightly, son," Tobias remarked quietly. "Find out what ya were up to first. Then punish ya."

"I plan to." Snape watched Tobias nod before his dad walked past him, pausing to squeeze Snape's shoulder gently. His dad gave him a kind look before leaving a moment later. Tomorrow, Snape would find out what Harry was up to. Tonight, though, he'd just sleep.

~FKTF~

Waking up the following morning, Snape stretched before he pressed a kiss against Aurora's bare shoulder and got dressed. He had a young man to deal with first. Running a hand through his hair, he walked out of his bedroom. He snorted when he noticed Tobias already awake, reading the Daily Prophet at the table.

"Well, ya did say first thing, son."

"I did. Let's see if Harry understood that." Snape walked over to the counter, pouring himself a cup of tea. He glanced towards the portrait when he heard it swing open.

"You wanted to see me, Dad?" Harry asked quietly as he slowly walked into the room.

"I do." Snape took a sip of his tea. "I thought we might brew something together today. Before your classes." Harry's face was rather comical. Snape forced his face to remain neutral, though.

"Brew something?" Harry glanced towards Tobias before looking back at his dad. "Like what?"

Snape shrugged, walking over to his bookcases. His dark eyes trailed over the numerous leather-bound books before he found the desired one. He pulled the book out and turned around.

"Whichever potion you want to brew, Harry." He held out Moste Potente Potions. "Aurora informed me of your request, so I thought we could brew it together." He watched his son gulp. "What?"

"Dad, I, well, all right."

"Mind if I watch?" Tobias asked.

"If you'd like," Snape replied, glancing at his father sideways. "Choose the potion. We'll brew it in my personal labs." He caught Harry's Adam's apple bobbing up and down again. The boy was clearly nervous. "Is something wrong, Harry?"

"No. Why?" The young boy chewed on his bottom lip.

"Ya know, Harry, ya could always come clean. Cleanse yer conscience so to speak."

"What?" Harry glanced towards Tobias before he looked at his dad once more.

"Well, it's not exactly a book every second-year would know, Harry," Snape explained.

"I, um." The young Gryffindor sighed, looking at his feet as he shifted his weight.

"Tell me, Harry. What potion did you want?"

"Polyjuice," the boy softly whispered.

"Why?"

Harry shrugged.

"What do you want Polyjuice potion for, Harry?"

"To find out who the Heir of Slytherin is," the young Gryffindor whispered.

Snape shook his head. He should have figured that. That's all anyone wanted to talk about now. It was the Heir this, the Heir that. It annoyed him greatly. Hence why several Houses had lost a tremendous amount of points the past few days.

"I take it that it wasn't your plan?"

"I mentioned the Polyjuice. Ron came up with the thought of us finding it out." Harry sighed. "I just wanted to help, Dad."

"You have only one priority. School. That's it, Harry."

"But, Dad—"

"No. You are a twelve-year-old boy, Harry. You are not some indestructible child who cannot be harmed, I assure you. Leave the Heir of Slytherin business to the adults, and concentrate on your schoolwork. We have it in hand. Understand?"

"Fine," Harry said quietly. "May I go?"

"Not yet." Snape sighed, glancing at his father who watched them silently. It was unnerving to have the older man there. "Your heart is in the right place, Harry, but I need you to remain focused on your studies instead of adventures. I do not want anything to happen to you." He frowned inwardly. "If you'd like, however, we can brew the potion together. It'll take a month to brew."

"You're not going to let us have it, though, so why would you and I brew it together then?"

Snape did his best not to react to his son's words. "Merely offering the option to you, Harry." Because I thought maybe you'd take after me and enjoy brewing, he added in his mind.

Harry glanced at his dad before he nodded. "Sure, Dad. I should go, though. See you." He left.