Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
We're getting down there to the end, loves. Enjoy another long chapter. Tell me if you're liking these long chapters or not. I appreciate feedback.
House of the Brave

A few days later, Snape leaned against the wall in his temporary rooms. He felt restless, drained, incomplete. He rubbed at his face, shaking his head slowly. His dad. His mum. His son. His—Aurora. All had been taken from him at some point in his life. Why, though? What had he done that deserved his heart being ripped out with each of them being taken from him? He exhaled slowly. Three out of four were thankfully returned to him now. Aurora would make it a perfect score.

His dark eyes glanced at the trunks that sat side by side, his and Aurora's. He took a step towards hers before he stopped and sighed, his hand resting atop of the trunk. Closing his eyes, he drew in a calming breath. It would be all right. He'd get her back.

"Dad?"

Snape slowly turned and glanced at his son. Harry was hovering by the door, something the boy had been doing a lot lately. He gave his son a faint smile and motioned him to enter.

"What is it, Harry?"

"Um, well, since it's break and everyone's gone, I was just wondering if I could, um, do something, Dad."

"Meet your friends you mean?" He noticed his son's eyes dart to the floor suddenly.

"Hermione and Ron went home."

"Ah." Snape sighed, taking a step back towards Harry. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Whatever." Harry shrugged, shifting his weight slightly.

"What did you have in mind?"

"I don't know. Nothing really." Harry sighed. "You're going to try to talk to Mum again soon, aren't you?"

"Probably." He watched his son nod slowly. "Harry, talk to me. Please."

"I miss her, Dad."

Snape slowly pulled his son into a hug, embracing him warmly. He closed his eyes when he felt Harry's arms tighten around him for a moment. He carded his son's hair affectionately.

"We'll get her back, won't we, Dad?"

Snape released his son hesitantly before he tilted his son's head up so their eyes met.

"We will, Harry. I give you my word."

"I believe you." The young boy sniffled before he buried his head back into his father's robes, seeking his father's comfort once again. They hugged silently for what seemed a lifetime before Harry took a step back and wiped at his eyes. "Dad?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"Do you think her mum was telling us the truth the other day? About Mum not being able to have kids?" He quickly continued before his father could respond. "I mean, I know that it's stupid of me to hope that her mum's wrong just because I want to be a big brother, but there's more than just that." The twelve-year-old quickly started to ramble as the tears openly fell from his face. "We could have a real family, then. A mum, a dad, a couple of kids. You know? We could have our second chance at being one. Together. We deserve a family, don't we, Dad? A happy one? I think we'd be happy."

"Harry, shh." Snape stooped down in front of the ever increasingly panic-stricken boy. "Stop, son. It'll be all right."

"What did we do, Dad?" Harry asked through tears. "What did we do that was so bad? That makes the Fates want to hurt us like this? To take Mum from us?"

"Nothing, my sweet Harry." He hugged his son once more, rubbing the boy's back gently. "We didn't do anything, son. Life just sometimes isn't fair, so things happen. We just have to remember that we have each other, and then we'll be all right again. We'll be strong enough to fight off whatever is thrown our way. Trust me. We—Aurora, you, and me—will come back from this stronger than before." He felt Harry nod against him. "You and I didn't cause this by anything we did, Harry. This Leonidas did. He's the bad guy here. Not us."

"Will you, um, will you tell her that I . . ." Harry's voice cracked before he stifled a sob.

"I'll tell her." He heard his son's sniffles again before the boy pulled back. They needed a different topic. "Did you finish reading Lily's journal?"

"Yeah." Harry nodded slowly, shifting his weight slightly as he regained control of his emotions. "It only went to her fifth year. About some sort of exams or something."

"OWLs?"

"Yeah, those." Harry shrugged. He seemed to be calmer now after being distracted. "Her last entry was about her worrying about her Defense exam she had a few hours later."

Snape closed his eyes instantly and sighed. He shook his head before he glanced back at his son. The young boy didn't know about that day. He didn't know the significance of her not writing after that.

"Was she good at Defense?"

"Adequate, but she was better at Charms."

"Oh. So, she didn't do well on her exam?"

"I don't remember." Snape exhaled slowly. "After the exam, your mother and I got into a row. I lost my temper and called her a horrible word."

"The word you got mad at me for asking about awhile back?"

"Yes." He ran a hand through his raven locks. "James and I never got on. I've told you that before. That day he and his best friend decided to harass me by the lake. They wanted a rise out of me, and frankly I stupidly gave it to them. Hexes were thrown, and I ended up being humiliated in front of our classmates. Lily came to my defense, like always, and I was too sore from being humiliated to take a breath to calm myself. I lost my temper and called her that wretched name. She never forgave me."

"That's horrible, Dad."

"It is, but I didn't help myself any, Harry. I chose the Dark Arts over her. So she chose James."

"Do you think if you would have chosen her, it would have been better?"

Snape shook his head, sighing. "I honestly don't know, Harry. I'd be content likely, but Lily and I are different people." He thought for a moment before he continued. "I'd have to give up a part of myself, deny something I enjoy, to be with Lily. It's one of the many good things about Aurora. She accepts all of me and doesn't try to change me."

"You enjoy the Dark Arts?"

Snape looked at Harry and shook his head. One of these days his son would learn to observe instead of just seeing and believing others. They'd work on it.

"No, Harry. At least not the way others believe I do. I'll admit that I enjoy learning about it, hearing the theory and complexity that comes with it, but I don't enjoy the pain it inflicts upon others.

"Oh."

"Not all wizards use light spells in duels unfortunately. So my experience with it gives me an advantage because I can quickly discern what spell was cast by just a slight turn in the wrist and block it as a result. Not all dark spells can be blocked, though." He watched his son nod slowly. "There was a time when I was younger when I fell in love with the idea of having such power that comes with it. But I assure you that my first time casting one of those dark spells—well, it made an impact on me, Harry."

"When you killed the guy you thought was your dad, you mean?"

"Yes. It leaves a mark on your soul. At least that's what it felt like the next day."

"Do the other dark spells do that, too?"

"Likely. They are dark for a reason after all." Harry nodded. "I much rather enjoy casting the defensive spells, though, feeling the power behind that than feeling the Dark power." He frowned. "There are times, however, when you are forced to use dark spells to win a duel."

"When it's to the death?"

"Yes. And when there's no other option to guarantee your survival."

Silence settled around them for a bit. Harry had lost himself to his thoughts, much like his dad. However, after several minutes, the young boy spoke again.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"Do you think maybe I could look at one of your old schoolbooks?" Harry drew his trainer across the floor as he bit his lip. "I mean, I, well, I'm not good at Potions, but I am pretty good at Defense, though. I'm getting an 'E' in it actually, I think. Well, if you don't count Professor Lockhart's quizzes about himself, I mean."

Snape chuckled before he headed to his trunk. As if he'd ever count Lockhart's egotistical self-absorbed quizzes. He quickly searched through his trunk and handed Harry a worn book a moment later.

"Should be some interesting information in there for you. I only ask that you don't try to cast any of the spells without my permission. Understand?"

"Yeah." Harry nodded slowly as he took the book. "Are they that bad of spells?"

"No. They're just rather advanced and require some prep work before you can cast it safely."

"Got it. Thanks, Dad."

"Of course." Snape inclined his head slowly.

"I'll be in the other room reading, then. See you soon, Dad."

"You as well." Snape watched his son walk towards the door and frowned. "Harry?"

"Yeah, Dad?" The young boy stopped at the door and turned back.

"What did you do with the ring Tobias gave you that day in Birmingham?" He caught his son's immediate flush.

"I, um, well, I'm keeping it safe for you, Dad. Until you need it. Why?"

"Retrieve it for me please." He watched his son's shock flood his face instantly.

"What?"

"You heard me, Harry. Retrieve it."

"But you can't give it to her since she's—" The young boy swallowed suddenly. "You know."

"I'm not planning on giving it to her."

Harry frowned. "Then, why do you want it?"

"So I can keep it safe, Harry, until I need it."

Harry grinned widely before he frowned and then settled on just smiling. He dug into his jeans pocket for a moment prior to pulling out a small silver ring and handing it to his dad.

"Thank you."

"Sure, Dad." The young boy turned away not long after and walked out of the room.

Snape sighed silently and glanced down at the ring. The band had dark etchings in it to give the appearance of snakeskin. Attached to the top of the silver band was an S-shaped snake holding a teardrop-shaped emerald. He half-smiled. His son clearly had good taste when it came to rings. Snape quickly pocketed the ring himself.

He headed to his temporary bed, removing his robes and his boots as he did. Once he was dressed for rest, he slid between the sheets. Harry would be all right by himself for a bit. His son had proved lately that he could be trusted. And if need be, Harry knew that if anything happened with Snape—not that it would, that Tobias was just a Firecall away in the hospital wing with Eileen.

Snape drew in a slow breath as he emptied his mind. There would be only one thought left in his mind, and that'd be Aurora. His eyes slowly closed. He imagined her long dark curls, warm brown eyes, kind smile, and ashen face. Slowly, he saw her fade in front of him as his surroundings blurred into the room she was being held in. He frowned deeply when he saw her suspended in the air hanging limply by the shackles around her wrists. If only he knew where she was, then he could make the bastards who did this pay. He took a step towards her, noticing her head loll to the side slightly.

"Sev," she whispered, coughing harshly a moment.

"I'm here, Aurora," he quietly said, doing his best not to scare her. The bastards had moved her to a different room today he noticed idly. Not to mention they had stripped her. She was now being held above some sort of empty cylindrical tank of some kind. He could see all types of pipes connected to the glass tank. His eyes quickly followed one pipe before it disappeared into the ceiling. He shook his head. He then looked back at her, feeling his anger rise at the deep bruises and cuts to her body. Judging by how she was drawing in quick raspy breaths that clearly hurt, he could tell that she had numerous broken ribs. "Think of me again."

"Hurts."

"I know." He lowered his voice. "Close your eyes and think of me, Aurora." He remained firm but still keeping his gentle tone he had adopted over the days. At the feel of a tug in his mind, he knew she was listening. He waited patiently and inhaled deeply when he felt their minds join again as the room faded away, leaving behind just them standing.

"Severus."

"I'm here." As he did the past few days, he pulled her into his arms and held her. "I'm here."

"They know," she cried against him. "They know, Severus." She trembled before looking up at him. "He drew blood. He knows what she . . . he knows."

"Shh. It's all right."

"No it's not. He knows that she gave it to me, Severus."

He frowned, closing his eyes. That was unfortunate. With Leonidas knowing that Aurora had the serum in her now, Leonidas would ratchet up his plans to get at it. He exhaled loudly. That certainly explained why she looked worse now than she did the past few days.

"He's testing how fast you heal?" he asked quietly.

"Yeah. I don't know why, but he thinks that the crap does something extraordinary." She scoffed, shaking her head. "A part of me just wants to shout at him that he's an idiot, that it doesn't work. That her whole stupid thing she gave me was a failure."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing." She exhaled, closing her eyes. "Nothing, Severus. I'm just tired."

His eyes narrowed on her. She was hiding something. Several things he amended a moment later.

"I agree you're tired, but you meant something by that. What aren't you telling me?" His frown deepened when he saw her start to argue. "No. Don't tell me it's nothing. It's clearly something. What is it?" He shook his head when her mouth opened again. "Dammit, Aurora! Stop trying to protect me. I don't need to be mollycoddled by you. What are you hiding? What did Minerva want you to tell me?" He took a step towards her. "Aurora, is it that you are pregnant?" He watched her face fall and her arms wrap protectively around herself.

"No."

"Then, tell me what it is. I can't help if you don't tell me everything. What is it?"

"I'm sick, Severus."

He stared at her in confusion. She was sick? He blinked before he thought very carefully on what to say. An infection would be likely considering that the man likely hadn't—

"I don't follow," he finally said.

"I'm sick, Severus. I have been for awhile now." She ran a hand through her hair. "I should've pushed you away that day you told me you cared for me. But I just was so happy, you know? Because you finally noticed me, saw me." She laughed softly, trembling slightly as she held back her tears.

"Aurora . . ." So, she was sick. Big deal. She was a witch. There was likely a potion for that.

"After the whole Quirrell and the Mirror of Erised thing—well, you remember that. Pomfrey said I just needed to rest and recover, so I went to Windsor for the summer. About a day after arriving, I started to feel woozy. I was still shaking from the Cruciatus, so I thought it was to be expected. A week later, I collapsed in my room. My dad found me having a seizure on my floor. Went back to Hogwarts to see if it was some sort of residual thing. Pomfrey examined me again, drew my blood, and did the whole work up. She gave my dad some, uh, potion to help with the dizziness. I had another seizure before Pomfrey found some sort of virus of some kind in me. She said she's never seen anything like it."

His eyes narrowed on her. A virus a mediwitch had never seen before? Interesting. He then grimaced inwardly. Sometimes he really could be an idiot. Thankfully, he hadn't said that out loud.

"I've been on some sort of potion to regulate the seizures since about August, I think." She exhaled, shaking her head. "Dizziness, seizures, disorientation, fainting spells, sicking up, the list goes on." She scoffed. "Pomfrey's been trying to research, reaching out to her Muggle counterparts to see if they know of anything like it. She's heard nothing back."

"That doesn't necessarily mean anything, Aurora," he replied gently.

"Before my appointment with Ginny and before Harry later showed up the night we went to the cottage, I went to Pomfrey for my weekly check-up. To see how far this thing was progressing."

"And?"

"She found evidence of my kidneys starting to shut down."

"What?" He stared at her, feeling as if he had been punched in the gut one moment and then a belly full of anger. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier, Aurora? Hell, ask me to go with you so you didn't do this on your own? What? Did you think I wouldn't care?"

"Severus, please. I, I didn't think."

"Obviously," he snapped before shaking his head. "What else did Pomfrey say?"

"Severus—"

"No. What else did she say?"

"That if she doesn't find out what it is soon, there's a chance it'll kill me." She glanced down before closing her eyes. "Do you see now why I should have pushed you away when I had the chance? I'm just going to be another person in your life who hurt you."

"You're an idiot."

"What?" Her warm brown eyes darted to him in shock.

"I don't need you trying to protect me, Aurora. And I sure as hell don't want to hear you ever give up like this again. You're ill? Fine. I can deal with that. I'm not going to dissolve into a puddle of goddamn tears convinced that you'll die, though. I'll fight for you. I will do everything I can to help you." He shook his head. "That night when Dumbledore told me Lily had died, you held me and told me everything would be fine. You let me lean on you when I needed it the most, when I felt like there was nothing left living for. Do you remember that, Aurora?"

"Severus . . ."

"I wore my heart on my sleeve like some damn fool that night, weeping against you like some fourth-year girl because I had lost a girl I had obsessed over, whom I had thought I loved. And you just held me, told me everything would be all right. That you were there for me." He brushed aside her tears, not feeling the familiar wetness. "You gave me all your strength, all your love that night, not wanting anything in return. I didn't see it that night. I was too lost in myself to, but I see it now, Aurora. I recognize all the times over the years you were there for me, standing by my side when no one else would. So, this time," his voice wavered slightly "I'll be the one to give you all my strength, all my love, and be there for you, standing by your side. Where I belong, Aurora."

She opened her mouth to speak, but promptly closed it when their surroundings rippled as if it was a puddle. Her eyes darted to him in confusion. A moment later, they were ripped out of their link and sent back to the room where she was being held.

Snape's dark eyes glanced up at her. She was still held up by the shackles around her wrist. He clenched his jaw, turning and glancing at the smirking man who looked on. Oh, how he wished he could use his magic on that bastard.

"The Minister wants to speak with you again, sir," announced the male vampire who had taken Aurora. His eyes briefly flitted over to her before he glanced back at Leonidas.

"Tell him I'm busy."

"I did. Minister's not buying it, sir. Neither is Lord Voldemort for that matter."

Snape's eyes snapped to the male vampire. What?

"All right. Fine." Leonidas scoffed, shaking his head. "Unfortunately, my sweet Aurora, we'll have to cut this short today. Frankly, I don't know when I'll be back, and, well, I don't really need you for anything for a bit. Lower her into the tank, will you? Oh, and make sure you do it right this time."

"Yes, sir," the vampire dutifully replied.

"Good. Well, then, I'll just go talk to the Minister." Without another glance, Leonidas left.

Snape watched the vampire smirk before Aurora was slowly lowered into the empty glass cylindrical tank. He caught the slight jerk of her head as she tried to fight against unconsciousness. What was going on? At the sound of a hiss near him, Snape glanced at the pipes that ran to the tank. He inhaled sharply at the sight of pea green liquid rushing through the pipes.

"AURORA!" he shouted, helpless to do anything else. Just underneath her chin now, the liquid quickly continued to rush into the tank. "Think of me! Think of me now dammit!" He didn't usually panic but knowing that he would be there to witness her drown—he couldn't hold back his emotions. "AURORA! THINK OF ME!" He heard her cough and sputter as she flopped inside the tank in hopes of escaping. He felt as if he, too, couldn't breathe now. Horrified, he watched her suddenly go limp, floating soon after in the liquid with her hair all fanned out. The last thing Snape heard before it all vanished was the vampire remarking to the empty room that she still had a strong heartbeat.

~FKTF~

A few hours later, Harry found himself sitting by his dad's cot in the main area of the hospital wing. He bit his bottom lip. Something had happened. He didn't know what, but Harry knew that something had. He grabbed his dad's hand, giving it a firm squeeze.

"Come on, Dad," the young boy begged. "Squeeze back." He jumped slightly when a hand clapped his shoulder.

"Didn't mean to startle you, Harry," his grandfather said softly. "You all right?"

"He won't wake up."

"He will, lad. He just needs time."

"Something happened. Either to him or to Mum." Harry glanced at his grandfather, drawing in a shuddering breath. "I know it did."

"Eh. Don't worry, lad. Your dad's strong. He'll be fine. He just pushed himself a little too much tonight. Their link ain't exactly supposed to withstand a night full of talking and such."

"No. No, Grandpa, I'm telling you. Something happened."

"Oh, Harry." Tobias knelt down in front of him, sighing. "I know you're scared. Hell, I'd have been finding him like that, but look at him. See his chest rising?"

"Yeah."

"Feel his heart beating under your fingers?" Again Harry nodded. "See? He's fine, lad. He just overworked himself. Has a nasty habit of doing that the way I hear it."

"He'll be all right? Mum, too?"

"Course they will. You know why?"

"No." Harry frowned.

"Cause they got us, lad. And we ain't gonna let nothing happen to them. Family sticks together, you know? And we're family. You, me, El, Severus, and that pretty little lass of Severus's." Tobias leaned forward and kissed Harry's forehead. "And, well, we got a wedding to plan, don't we, Potter?"

Harry laughed through his tears, nodding slowly. Leave it to his grandpa to make him feel better.

~FKTF~

The following afternoon, Snape groaned quietly, his head rolling against the pillow. He felt a firm squeeze of his hand, knowing that it was son. Blinking rapidly, he slowly regained consciousness. He gave Harry a weak half-smile before coughing harshly.

"Welcome back to the land of the living, Professor Snape," Pomfrey stated dryly before she paused. "Oh, wonderful. Tilt your head back."

"Why?" Snape asked feebly. He felt as if he had run a marathon non-stop for a hundred days.

"You're bleeding, Dad," Harry answered quietly.

Snape snorted, regretting it almost immediately. He followed the matron's instructions, watching her wipe the blood that had leaked from his nose. He closed his eyes for a moment. His head pounded as if he had a herd of Hippogriffs galloping through it.

"You're quite lucky you didn't kill yourself, Severus Snape," Pomfrey scolded with a huff.

He scoffed. "Yeah, well, while we're on topics to scold people over, didn't you think I deserved to know, Poppy?" he spat out, glaring at the matron. He watched her eyes dart to him.

"What on earth are you talking about, Professor?"

"About Aurora and her illness." He saw Pomfrey's eyes widen before she wisely glanced away. "Yeah, she told me. Finally."

"Dad?" Harry said, clearly confused.

"Healer-patient confidentiality, Severus," Poppy replied quietly. "She didn't want you to know. Minerva wouldn't have even known about it if she'd not found her awhile back."

"How grand," he spat back. "In case you care, he's got her in some kind of tank now. Some sort of pea green liquid is in her lungs, but according to the vampire who was with her, she's still got a strong heartbeat for some reason." He noticed Pomfrey's blink of recognition and frowned. "What?"

"The liquid. It's a preserver that St. Mungo's and the Ministry use. A comatose patient is generally lowered into a tank full of it, allowing the liquid to enter through the nasal cavity and mouth. It allows the higher brain functions to continue, but shuts down most of the other systems."

"Well, she wasn't comatose when they filled it, Poppy." He watched her eyes close.

"She's not dead, Severus."

"Oh? Because it sure as hell looked like they trying to drown her." He heard Harry's gasp, but didn't glance at his son.

"It's not water. It's actually a bit like a giant Dreamless sleep potion."

"You can drown on that," he pointed out with a low growl.

"It's in her lungs, yes, but she's fine."

"How can you be so certain, Pomfrey? Hmm? Have you seen her?" When Pomfrey's eyes flashed at him, he glared back at her.

"I know it because I put spell on her the other day, Severus."

"So, you know where she is, then, Pomfrey?" His hope was rising again, letting the anger slide away for a moment. If she knew where Aurora was, then he could bring her home.

"No. It's not that kind of spell, Severus. It tracks her vitals remotely and reports them back to me." She sighed and flicked her wand. Numbers instantly appeared above him along with Aurora's name. "The vampire is correct. Her heart is beating strong currently. Stronger than it was a few hours ago, in fact. Leonidas putting her in that tank is actually a blessing, Severus. It's helping her."

"I won't be able to speak with her, though."

"Probably not, but I'm actually quite glad that you aren't able to, Severus."

"Why? It was helping."

"No, Severus," Pomfrey replied, frowning. "It wasn't. You suffered a cardiac arrest last night. That's why you're here now. And you're damn lucky your son was around, or you'd have suffered from a ruptured blood vessel or two in your brain as well. You are putting too much strain your body with that damn link of yours, and it can't cope. And that's just you. We won't even get started with how that link is affecting her."

"What?" he breathed, staring at her in disbelief. No. Pomfrey had to be wrong. Aurora was fine. The link wasn't hurting her. It couldn't be hurting her. "Answer me, Poppy. What was it doing to her?"

"Severus—"

"No. Answer me, Poppy!"

"It was putting unnecessary strain on her as well. At one point, she had tachycardia, in fact."

"How else am I supposed to find her, Pomfrey?"

"Kingsley, Mad-Eye, and Tonks all have their eyes and ears open. They've spoken with the survivors. If Leonidas goes out in public, they'll know and get him."

Snape frowned, recalling something. "The Minister wanted to speak with him. He was going to see him last night."

"Minister Fudge?"

"Yes. I think. He never stated the name. Just the title. The Dark Lord also wanted to speak with him." He watched Pomfrey nod slowly.

"All right. I'll pass the information on. However, I'm ordering you to rest. Your heart is doing much better now, but your body needs to recover."

"What I need is to find Aurora."

"No, what you need, Severus Snape, is to listen to your healer right this minute," she replied firmly. She then glanced at Harry. "Watch him, Mister Potter. If he attempts to leave that cot, use the spell I taught you earlier."

"What?" Snape's eyes darted to his son. "You would have my son hex me?"

"And your dad and mother as well. They all have their orders," she stated matter-of-factly before leaving the room.

Snape frowned, crossing his arms. Blasted woman. He then sighed heavily and looked at his son. "What spell did she teach you?"

"Petrificus Totalus." Harry shrugged. "Hermione used it last year. You're not going to make me use it, though, are you? I don't think Mum would be happy if you did."

"You're likely right about that." Snape settled against his propped up pillow. "I apologize for scaring you last night, Harry."

"It's fine. You're all right now." Harry gave him a faint smile. "Just don't do it again, Dad."

Snape snorted. "Cheeky brat." He then drew in a slow deep breath.

"Is Mum really sick, Dad?"

"Yes." He glanced at Harry. "But we'll help her when we get her back."

"She's not going to, um, you know, right?" The fear and worry was evident in his soft voice.

"No."

"You promise, Dad?"

Snape nodded jerkily, unable to answer vocally. He watched Harry nod as well before his green eyes glanced back down at the opened book in his lap.

"What are you reading?" Snape asked, attempting to distract himself.

"Your defense book you gave me last night."

Snape nodded again. "Learn anything interesting?"

Harry shrugged. "Just read about a cockatrice and a basilisk." The young boy frowned slightly before glancing at him. "Dad?"

"Yes?"

"It said back in like the Middle Ages or whatever that people would carry roosters with them to protect them from those things. Have we done that? Carried a rooster around just in case it's one of these things petrifying everyone, I mean?"

Snape thought for a moment. He'd had his mind on other things this year, so he hadn't really paid that close attention to the whole chamber of secrets thing. Searching through his memories, he tried to recall what the staff had tried. He then shook his head as he remembered something.

"Hagrid mentioned his roosters being killed awhile back." He watched Harry's eyes widen. He could see the wheels clearly turning in his son's head. "No, Harry. We already checked. They were killed by a human, not some monster."

"Well, we already know that Dumbledore—"

"Professor Dumbledore," Snape corrected firmly.

"Fine." Harry huffed. "We already know that Professor Dumbledore lowered the wards around the school so that the people could try to take Mum. We know he had the book that messes people up and became evil because of it. So, then, maybe he killed the roosters to make sure we couldn't use them to kill the monster."

"That's your theory?"

"Yeah."

Snape just barely kept the half-smile from his face. His son was starting to think like a Slytherin. His face remained neutral as he watched Harry.

"I mean, the book said the rooster's cry is fatal to the cockatrice and basilisk. And the cockatrice and basilisk are known for petrifying their victims. Which is what's happening here."

"I see. So, you think the monster is either a cockatrice or a basilisk?"

"Yeah." Harry nodded. "Because it also explains why only I hear them, Dad. They're both like giant snakes, and I'm a Parseltongue."

"Parselmouth," Snape corrected again with a slight wince.

"Yeah that."

"You could be correct. However, we still don't know how it's getting around the castle, nor do we know why it's made an appearance exactly."

"I thought it was to provide a distraction?"

"That's the best guess we have currently, but there are always other options to consider. It's best to consider them as well, so we're not caught off guard."

Harry nodded again. "We also don't know where the chamber is. I mean, I'm guessing that someone asked Ginny and Professor Dumbledore, right?"

"I'd imagine."

"What about the ghosts, Dad? Has anyone asked them?"

"I don't know." Snape sighed. He hated admitting that, but it was the truth. He didn't.

"Was the Chamber opened before?" Harry asked quietly.

"Yes. About fifty years ago."

"Did they catch the person who opened it back, then?"

"Yes," Snape replied, recalling Dumbledore's answer from a staff meeting awhile back.

"No," Eileen countered as she limped into the room. She sat down on a nearby cot with a slight grimace. "Honestly, Severus." She fluffed the pillow behind her and shook her head.

"What?"

"Lying to your son. I see your father rubbed off on you."

"I wasn't lying."

"Oh? Then, I suppose you think I am, Severus?" Eileen stated with a raised brow. When he remained quiet, she shook her head. "I was a first-year when it opened the first time. Oh, they boasted that they had caught him red-handed, but Professor Dippet was an idiot and never truly looked into it. He didn't want Hogwarts to close. No one did. So the first name thrown out there got all the blame. If Dippet had half a brain and investigated, though, he'd have known who it truly was."

Snape's eyes narrowed on his mother.

"What do you mean?"

"Riddle. He received a special award from the school for his bravery and courage, all for pointing a finger at an innocent third-year."

"I don't follow."

"Honestly, Severus. Don't you ever speak with your coworkers?" she scolded lightly. "Rubeus Hagrid. He was expelled after that Ravenclaw girl's death and thought to be the heir of Slytherin, but he had nothing to do with it. Dippet wouldn't listen, though. The damn fool he was."

"Hagrid?" Snape frowned. He noticed Harry's eyes widen as well.

"The very same. Unless you know another half-giant," she said dryly, shaking her head. "After her death, they wanted to close the school down. So, Riddle went straight to Dippet and claimed that Hagrid had released the monster to prevent that from happing. But there was no way Rubeus would ever harm a soul. Even Dumbledore knew that, but Dippet chose to believe Riddle instead, the ever charming liar he was."

"What was the evidence against Hagrid?"

"An Acromantula. Creepy thing, but I never knew Hagrid not to have dangerous pets. I'd imagine that's why Dumbledore kept him on as gamekeeper all these years."

"How—?" Snape glanced between Harry and Eileen.

"Told you, son," Tobias chuckled as he walked into the room. "Your mum notices things."

"Hardly," Eileen replied, looking rather bored. "I spoke with Madam Pomfrey earlier, and she mentioned that after I left Hagrid remained here. Speaking of which, she tells me that you nearly killed yourself last night, young man." Her eyes narrowed into slits as she coldly looked at her son.

"I'm fine, Mother."

"This time," Eileen huffed.

"I needed to talk to Aurora," he argued. He hated when his mother made him feel like a naughty first-year all over again. It was . . . embarrassing, especially with Harry right there beside him.

"Who?"

"His girlfriend, El," Tobias answered his wife quietly.

"Girlfriend?" Eileen's eyes darted back to her son. She frowned but thankfully remained silent.

"It won't happen again, Mother."

"See that it doesn't, Severus. I did not go through hell just to come back and bury my son."

He winced. She was always blunt.

"Um, I don't mean to interrupt," Harry started to say, biting his lower lip slightly. "But the girl who died fifty years ago, do you remember who she was?"

Snape noticed his mother's eyes soften at Harry's question as she gave her grandson a gentle smile. He looked on in utter fascination.

"Merida." She frowned. "No, that's not right. Um, Myrtle, I think."

At the sound of his son's gasp of recognition, Snape's eyes darted to the young boy. So, his son knew Moaning Myrtle. Interesting.

"The ghost who haunts the girls' lavatory?" blurted the twelve-year-old.

"Yes, Harry," Snape replied. His eyes narrowed on his son. "How exactly do you know her?" While Myrtle would inhabit other bathrooms occasionally, she usually stuck to her own.

"Uh, well, that's where we were brewing the Polyjuice. Well, Hermione and Ron were at least."

"Difficult brew. Up to trouble, were we?" Eileen's eyes narrowed on her grandson again.

"Dad already yelled me over it. I just wanted to help him out, though. He had enough on his plate with people trying to kidnap Mum."

Snape noticed his mother's eyes lighten again.

"What a sweet boy you are, Harry," Eileen said with a soft smile.

Snape frowned instantly. If he would have said that, he would have had a sore bottom for a week if not longer. For putting himself in danger, sneaking behind her back, and a whole list of other crimes she'd state he did.

"However, dear, the next time you decide to help out, try not to put yourself in danger." She then glanced at Snape. "Something to add, Severus?"

"No," Snape replied, just barely keeping his cheekiness back. If he were anyone else, he might have pouted and stated how it wasn't fair.

"I thought not." Eileen settled further against her pillow. "If I remember right, Myrtle died in the second-floor girls' lavatory."

"Where she haunts most frequently," Snape added.

"If you say so, Severus." Eileen shrugged. "I remember her only as the one who made Olive Hornby regret ever making fun of her. Which Hornby greatly needed in my opinion."

"Then, we ought to check that lavatory out first," Tobias stated.

"Agreed." Eileen started to sit up only to be pushed back down by her husband. "Tobias," she warned, giving him a fierce look.

"Not this time, El. You need yer rest."

"I'm fine, Tobias."

"Hell, woman, you'd say that if ya got yer arms ripped off by a tiger." Tobias chuckled quietly before he flashed a cocky smile at her. "I got this, El. You get next time when you can give them the full brunt of hell. Promise."

"Going off by yourself, Tobias Avery Snape, is irresponsible and an idiotic thing—"

"I ain't going off by myself, El."

"No, you're not, because I'm going with you, Dad," stated Snape, slowly sitting up only to frown when Harry quickly raised his wand and pointed it at him.

"No you ain't, son. You ain't in any shape to go searching for some chamber thing either."

"Then, who—"

"Calisto," Tobias answered instantly. "She offered earlier."

Snape noticed his mother's eyes narrow into slits again, this time on his father. He frowned and shook his head, thinking about it. A vampire and a wizard whose magic acted up sometimes. It sounded like the beginning of a bad joke.

"You'll need a Parseltongue, Grandpa," Harry cut in.

"Parselmouth," Snape corrected before he lowered his voice. "And absolutely not, Harry. There is no way you are going off without me there to protect you."

"But, Dad, Salazar was a Parsel-whatever! Just like me. So, then, he likely used that to make sure people couldn't come upon his chamber by accident," Harry explained. "I'm the only one here who can speak to snakes. So he'll need me."

"Absolutely not," Snape growled. "I will not lose you as well, son."

"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence there, son," Tobias mumbled.

"Fine, Dad," Harry huffed before he got up and stormed towards the lavatory behind the privacy curtain around Snape's cot. The door slammed behind him.

Snape clenched his teeth but didn't dare move from his cot. Just when he thought his son finally understood—that Harry meant everything to him, this happened. He glared up at the ceiling, ignoring his dad saying his goodbye to him and Eileen. Foolish Gryffindors.

~FKTF~

After several minutes of sitting on the toilet lid, Harry exhaled deeply. Why couldn't his dad get it through his thick skull that he wouldn't lose Harry? Yeah, sure, in the past he did have a stupid habit of getting himself nearly killed by looking for danger, but Harry hadn't done that in awhile. He hadn't even helped Hermione and Ron steal the ingredients from his dad the other day. He had been good lately. Really good. He was constantly ignoring his instincts. Just for his dad. Not like the man ever noticed, though.

It made sense. Salazar could speak to snakes. Just like Harry. The rest of the Founders couldn't. Just like his grandpa, his grandmum probably, and his dad. So Salazar probably had some sort of secret password thing or ward or entrance that only let in people who could speak to snakes. So, if his grandpa was going to find the Chamber of Secrets and defeat the monster, he'd need someone who could speak to snakes probably. And if they defeated the monster inside the chamber, then his dad could focus everything on finding his mum. And if that happened, then they could all be a family. It made sense. So, why didn't his dad go for it? It was logical. His dad had to have worked it out, wouldn't he have?

The young Gryffindor sighed heavily. It wasn't like he was going to face Voldemort head on. He was just going to say a few lines in Parsel-whatever and let his grandpa and Professor Rayne take over. He may be a Gryffindor, but he wasn't a total idiot. He knew he wasn't anywhere ready to take on giant snakes and whatever other dangers that lurked in that chamber. Last year had made that point painfully clear to him. He had been forced to watch his mum and dad be tortured before, by some sort of luck, he was able to burn Quirrell with just his hands and kill the man. Didn't his dad understand that he just wanted to help?

Frustrated, Harry kicked in front of him, his foot surprisingly connecting with something. His green eyes widened at the sight of the crumpled up invisibility cloak. He hadn't noticed it earlier. He glanced around the lavatory quickly, scared that his dad would know right then. The man after all had an uncanny sixth sense when it came to Harry contemplating mischievous actions. He picked it up, feeling the familiar material slide easily through his fingers. With a nod of determination, he made his choice.

~FKTF~

Snape tried to glance around the privacy screen to look at the closed door and frowned. His son had been in there for a very long time now. Granted, the boy was likely throwing a pity party or a tantrum about how unfair his dad was being, but honestly—the boy needed to understand. He sighed and shook his head. He could feel his mother's eyes on him, but he brushed it off. Slowly standing up, he headed over to the closed door and knocked gently against it.

"Son?" he called out. He heard no reply. "Harry, open the door." Still, there was no reply. His eyes narrowed. "Harry James Potter, open this door now," he ordered. When the door remained closed, his hand shot to the doorknob turning it before he threw it wide open. "Dammit," he snarled, whirling around after finding the lavatory empty. "When I get a hold of him, I swear to Merlin above . . ."

"I could have told you that'd happen, Severus," his mother drawled, looking at her nails as she remained on her cot.

"Not now, Mother," he growled, heading towards the double doors to leave the hospital wing. He slammed his fists against the doors when they refused to open. "POMFREY!" he bellowed.

"She won't come," Eileen stated.

"What do you mean? Why the hell not?"

"Sit down, Severus." She rolled her eyes. "Before you work yourself into another cardiac arrest."

"My son ran off, Mother!"

"Yes, Severus. I know. I'm not deaf."

"How can you be so calm about this?"

"Because I know when the boy shows up that your father will send him back. Tobias wouldn't let him put himself in danger. One, Tobias knows that it'd upset both of us horribly. And two, he loves Harry. Anyone that sees them together can see it. I've only been here for a few days, and I've seen it."

"So, then I'm just supposed to be happy?"

"Getting upset right now won't help, Severus. Just trust Tobias."

Snape growled. "I'm going to murder him when I get a hold of him."

"Yes, dear," Eileen drawled with a loud sigh. "I'm sure you think you will, but you won't."

"You don't know that."

"Do you remember when you got it into your head once that you'd take care of our little problem with that arsehole we lived with, Severus?"

He frowned deeply, not answering. Of course he recalled that memory. It was one of the few times he had seen his mother lose it with him.

"I was angry with you, wasn't I?" She snorted when he didn't reply. "And I told you that I was going to spank you until you couldn't sit for a year, didn't I? But when I finally found you crying in the corner, what did I do, Severus?"

"You pulled me into your arms and hugged me," he said quietly.

"And?" she asked, giving him the familiar 'You better continue or else' look.

"And you told me how disappointed you were while you healed my broken nose."

"I also told you that I loved you, Severus, and that you scared the hell out of me, because I thought I would lose you." She held his eyes. "You'll do the same with Harry."

"No I won't. It's bad enough that I lost his mother. I can't lose him as well." He shook his head. "He needs to understand that I won't just let him get away with whatever he does. His constant belief that he has to save the world needs to be squashed. And I'll make damn sure that he understands that."

"You weren't listening to him, Severus."

"I was, too, Mother."

"No. You weren't, son." She brushed back her long hair. "He's not doing this to be a hero, Severus. To gain some sort of glory out of it and hero worship. He's doing it to help you so you don't have to split your focus between two things. He's doing it out of love."

"Well, it's idiotic. I don't need help. I'm doing fine as it is."

"Oh? Then, why is that your father told me earlier that your girlfriend was kidnapped after you took her to your place to hide everyone away and keep them safe, Severus?"

Snape's jaw clenched. Some days he hated his mother.

~FKTF~

Minding carefully that he didn't let the door squeak as he opened it while under his Invisibility Clock and that he removed his trainers to ensure silent footsteps on the floor, Harry slowly snuck towards the double doors on the far side of the room to leave. At the sound of his dad swearing behind him, Harry rushed out of the hospital wing, quickly closing the door behind him. He was quite glad that Madam Pomfrey had warded the doors to accept his touch, knowing that it would refuse his dad's when the man would try.

Harry ran as fast as he could towards the second-floor girls' lavatory, staying under his cloak just in case he was spotted. He skidded to a stop when he saw the standing water in the hallway just outside the room. He frowned, but pushed it open anyway.

"Grandpa!" Harry shouted happily at the sight of the older man inspecting the faucets. He laughed when he noticed his grandfather jump and whirl around with his wand at the ready. Quickly, he removed his cloak so the older man could see him. "It's all right. See? It's an Invisibility Cloak."

"Excellent. You did find it all right, then," Professor Rayne said with a kind smile.

"Calisto," Tobias rebuked, his blue eyes flashing slightly.

"Be as it may, Tobias, your grandson is correct. We will need him if we're to open the chamber."

"Severus will skin us alive if we take him down there with us."

"Only if we take him down there, Tobias, and you have no plan in doing that. Nor does young Mister Potter wish to put himself in harm's way either," the vampire pointed out with a smirk.

Harry watched his grandfather's eyes dart to him. He bit his bottom lip and decided to agree.

"She's right, Grandpa. I don't want to make Dad any madder than I already have."

"Fine." Tobias sighed, running a hand through his long hair. "Bloody hell." He then pointed a long pale finger at Harry. "You will do everything I tell ya to do. First one being that you only say the words to open the chamber. The minute we're in, you will march yer butt back to yer dad's and stay there. Got it, lad?"

"Yes, sir." Harry nodded fervently.

"Two, you don't do this ever again. Yer dad loves you, Harry. And if anything happened to you, it'd eat him alive. Yer his boy. His son. No father ever wants to bury their child before him. Got it?"

"Yes, sir." Harry nodded again, glancing down at the floor this time.

"Three." Tobias cuffed Harry gently against the back of his head. "Don't disobey yer dad again."

"Yes, sir," Harry replied quietly. It hadn't hurt in the slightest, but he clearly got the message.

"Good lad. Now, let's see about opening this chamber thing."

The three searched the faucets in the raised sink before Harry found the intricate snake designs in one of the polished silver taps. Professor Rayne and Tobias both nodded to him.

"Open up," Harry said. He glanced at his grandpa when nothing happened.

"Treat it like it's a snake, lad," Tobias replied.

Harry nodded and repeated his order, "Open up." At the sound of hissing escaping his lips, his eyes widened and watched the tap start glow and spin. He felt his grandpa yank him back when the sink moved suddenly and revealed a large pipe. "Whoa." He glanced up at his grandfather.

"All right, lad. You know what to do."

"But—" Harry's mouth instantly snapped shut when his grandfather's blue eyes darted to him with a fierce look in them. "All right. Be safe." He sighed when he felt Tobias rest a hand on his shoulder and give him a gentle squeeze.

"Don't you worry about me, lad. I got Calisto watching my back."

"That he does," the vampire said with a smile. "I shall ensure that he makes it back all right."

Harry nodded jerkily. It felt odd not to be the one going down there like it was supposed to be him that did go down there, but it was the right thing to do. He sighed before he glanced down at his Invisibility Cloak. His green eyes darted back to his grandfather.

"Here." He held out his Invisibility Cloak. "Just in case the monster is down there, Grandpa." He smiled faintly when Tobias kissed the top of his head and ruffled his hair affectionately.

"I'll guard it with my life, lad. Now, go on. Before yer dad starts shitting bricks." Harry only laughed before he quickly headed back to the hospital wing. He knew all would be well now.

~FKTF~

It had been ten minutes since Snape had realized that his son was missing. Ten long excruciating minutes of pure and utter hell. He paced back and forth in the main area. His mother was wrong. She had to be. Ten minutes had passed—eleven now—and Harry hadn't returned. He glanced towards her, noticing her calmness and clenching his teeth as a result. How could she be so damn calm about this? Her only grandson was missing.

"You're worrying for nothing," Eileen drawled.

"I'm not worrying," Snape snapped back.

"Are too."

"I am not, Mother," he growled, glaring at her.

"Tobias will send him back."

"We don't know that. He could be an imposter for all we know."

"And now we're back to the panic phase again," his mother remarked with a sigh. "You truly shouldn't have any more children, Severus, if this one is already causing you to have heart attacks."

Snape grumbled under his breath before he whirled around when he saw the doors open. At the sight of his son walking in, he strode quickly to the young boy. Oh, that boy would learn a lesson he would. However, before he could even swat the boy on the backside, he found himself pulling the boy into his arms and closing his eyes.

"Told you so," Eileen piped up behind him.

Snape just barely held back his deadly 'Silence' hiss for her. He knew precisely how that would end for him, and he had no intention of being scolded in front of his son. The bloody damn Gryffindor who was already giving him gray hairs.

"You—that was foolish of you, Harry, very foolish," he scolded. "You could have—"

"I'm sorry for scaring you, Dad," quietly replied the young boy against him. "I know you just want to keep me safe. I get it. It's why I only opened it and then came straight here. You wouldn't have believed me if I told you that before. I'm sorry, though, Dad. For disobeying you, but mostly for scaring you. I know you love me and don't want to lose me."

"Exactly." Snape frowned. This was going differently than he thought it would. He had thought the boy would argue, but Harry surprisingly, and quite refreshingly he added, wasn't.

"I love you, Dad."

Snape closed his eyes. He was losing his previous anger. The boy was safe. With him. He sighed.

"I love you, too, brat," Snape grumbled, opening his eyes and glancing down at Harry.

He should have laid into the boy for scaring the hell out of him. He should have made damn sure that the boy never did it again. He should have told Harry how disappointed he was. He should have disciplined him in some way. But he didn't. At least not then. He would later. But for now, he'd just enjoy the fact that his son was safe and sound in his arms. He hadn't lost him.

Father and son sat down a moment later on Snape's cot once again. Snape, Harry, and Eileen barely said a word the next two hours to one another. They all seemed lost in their own thoughts. However, when Snape heard his mother gasp suddenly, his dark eyes darted to her.

"Mother?"

Her eyes met his with a puzzled look on her face. "I'm fine, Severus."

"Then, why'd you gasp?"

"Just a chill. I'm fine, though." Eileen then glanced away.

Snape shook his head, but didn't comment on it further. He'd drop it for now as well.

It was a good five more minutes before the double doors to the hospital wing burst open. The trio instantly glanced at the doors and watched Madam Pomfrey precede a levitated cot with a blood drenched person on top of it.

"Grandpa?" whispered Harry, staring at the clearly lifeless male body.

"Dad?" breathed Snape, following his son's whisper. However, a moment later when Minerva helped Tobias limp into the hospital wing—the man leaning heavily on a long silver sword, the two frowned in confusion.

"Then, who's that?" the young boy asked, glancing back at the bloodied person.

"Lockhart," Tobias answered with a hiss of pain as he settled atop of a cot. "Bastard got the short end of the stick when it came to the diary thing. Riddle was using his energy to come back to life."

"Was he successful?" Eileen inquired quietly.

"Hell no, El." Tobias chuckled before he groaned loudly, grabbing his side. "Did what you said to and destroyed it."

"Good."

"What's destroyed?" Snape asked, glancing between his parents in confusion.

"The diary, dear," Eileen replied with a sigh of exasperation. "Honestly, son. If you're going to eavesdrop, at least attempt to keep up with the conversation."

Snape mildly glared at his mother.

"What do you know about the diary?"

"Other than it's evil, you mean? He poured his soul into it, binding it with dark magic. He seemed to think it'd help him come back to life if he ever died." She shrugged. "That was all he ever talked about. How he had conquered death. As if anyone can truly conquer it." Her eyes glanced at her husband. "Where'd you get the sword?"

"Some funny hat Dumbledore's bird left me down in the chamber." Tobias shrugged. "I think it makes me look rugged. Don't ya think, El?"

"Personally, I think it makes you look like an idiot."

"Always gotta be the critic, don't you, El?" Tobias remarked quietly, wincing as Madam Pomfrey headed to him with her wand in her hand. The matron had a fierce look on her face. "Now, listen here, lass. The bird already cried on me, so I should be fit as a fiddle."

Madam Pomfrey threw her hands up into the air before she whirled on Eileen and Snape. "What is it about your family? Must you all try to kill yourselves?" She held up a hand when they started to argue. "Don't even start." She whirled back on Tobias. "You're lucky the Headmaster has a phoenix, Tobias Snape. Otherwise, you'd have been dead."

"Yes, lass. I got that."

"Bed rest. No buts about it, Mister Snape." Madam Pomfrey then glanced at Harry. "You, too, Mister Potter. You're just like your grandparents and father. Always causing trouble and injuring yourselves. Honestly. I've never met a more near-death experienced family than yours."

Harry laughed and nodded.

"Yes, Madam Pomfrey," the young boy quietly said.

The matron glanced at Tobias.

"Now, you can't exactly get mad at me, lass. I mean, I did just slay a basilisk and save the school," Tobias announced with a shrug. "Not to brag or anything."

Pomfrey's eyes narrowed into slits as she pointed her wand at him dangerously.

"Rest. Or, Merlin help me, I will make you, Tobias Snape," she stated coldly.

"All right. All right. Jeez. What are you? The dragon lady of Hogwarts?" Tobias settled against his cot and sighed. When Pomfrey and Minerva left them alone a moment later to head to her office, he glanced at them with a smirk.

"Grandpa?" Harry waited until Tobias met his eyes. "Where's Professor Rayne?"

Snape noticed his dad's smirk falter instantly.

"She's gone, lad," Tobias quietly replied. His voice was soft and gentle. "She's in a better place now, though, Harry. The way I understood it, she didn't really like being a vampire much. Found it to be a wretched curse. Most of the people she knew from before, well, they had already gone on. So it was lonely for her." He sighed, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry," Harry whispered.

"Don't be, lad. She's happier now. Plus, she went out fighting like the warrior she was."

Snape glanced down at his hands. Hogwarts had lost two of its staff members now. Three in the past two years. He closed his eyes. Aurora would not be the third this year. He wouldn't let her be. He drew in a slow calming breath. The basilisk was slain. Riddle was once more defeated again, unable to return this time. Hogwarts was . . . safer now. He shook his head slowly. All that remained was bringing Aurora home.