Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Year One: 2: A Series of Meetings

August 1, 1991

 


            Harry woke up the following morning more refreshed than he’s ever felt before and he was thankful that everything that occurred the day before hadn’t been a dream as was obvious by the letter that was resting by his bed. He had been worried about that but, now that he knew it wasn’t a dream, he wished he knew why his aunt and uncle never told him. He tried to ask them only to remember, at the last instant, that he wasn’t allowed to ask questions.

            He admitted to himself that he was excited about today. He would be traveling to Diagon Alley, though he didn’t know what that was, and he would be getting his school supplies as well as his wand. However, though he was excited, he was also nervous and he wondered if anyone else was as nervous as he was.

            “Boy! Get down here!” Vernon shouted up the stairs and Harry, sighing, rolled off his bed before getting to his feet. Dressing in the hand-me downs that were twice his size and hung like rags around his slight form, Harry made his way down the stairs to join his robust uncle.

            Vernon glared at him. “Your aunt, Dudley and I won’t be home until lunch. Clean the kitchen and make sure lunch is ready by the time we get back,” he growled. He was obviously still furious over what happened the day. Harry had been lucky that his uncle had only hit him a few times and in places that wouldn’t be visible to the wizard who came to pick him up and the hits no longer hurt. He knew it would have been worse had Vernon not been paranoid into thinking the wizards were still watching him.

            “Yes Uncle Vernon,” he said softly.

            Vernon leaned in close before hissing, “And you better not tell anyone about what happens in this household when you go with whichever freak picks you up or you know what will happen.”

            Harry swallowed but nodded. “Yes Uncle,” he said softly before he made his way into the kitchen to begin cleaning. He heard his uncle’s car start up and then the house was in silence; he always liked it when he was left alone because the silence was welcoming. His aunt and uncle rarely left him alone since his aunt feared that he would blow up her house. Why they decided to leave him alone now, Harry didn’t know.

            Harry’s thoughts also drifted to the revelation that was revealed the day before. He was a wizard; his mum and dad were wizards and he would be attending a Wizarding school. Just like yesterday, Harry still felt everything that’s happened was too surreal to be real and a part of Harry still expected to wake up from this dream.

            Lunch was ready by the time his aunt, uncle and cousin Dudley came home and the kitchen was cleaned. Harry put the lunch on the table before stepping away knowing he wasn’t allowed to eat at the table with his aunt and uncle; that wasn’t allowed for freaks. At least Harry had been able to grab a small breakfast after his aunt and uncle left so he wouldn’t be that hungry when he went to Diagon Alley. The last thing he wanted was for the wizard who came to get him to get suspicious.

            After his aunt and uncle finished lunch, Harry was ordered to dispose of what was left, which was very little, and wash the dishes again. “Since that freak said that another freak would be showing up soon, just finish those dishes and don’t break any of them,” Petunia said with a glare at the small boy.

            “Yes Aunt Petunia,” Harry said monotonously. He walked over to the sink and filled it with warm water and soap. He put the dishes into it and began scrubbing it; it was always easier to clean dishes soon after they were used. After he finished the dishes, he dried his arms and made his way back into the living room.

            “Go to your room until the freak gets here,” Vernon growled.

            The doorbell rang at that moment.

            “The freak got here sooner than I thought he would,” the robust mustached man muttered as he glared at Harry and pointed to the door clearly not wanting anything to do with the witch or wizard who had shown up.

            He nodded before he walked over to the door and opened it.

 


            Severus left at noon apparating directly to Privet Drive though he arrived in a dark alley so as to not be spotted by any muggles. Severus had learned how to blend in with the muggle world more from his years as a spy than because of the fact that his father was a muggle but, though his father died when he was six, Severus did learn quite a bit about the muggle world. He never mourned his father’s death but that was only because he loathed his father. He never understood what his mother saw in him and even she admitted that she didn’t know.

            Pulling himself back to the present since his thoughts on his past had nothing to do with what he was doing Severus stepped onto the street and made his way down the street. Each house looked identical in appearance; the only differences aside from the number were the cars parked in the driveway and the way the yard looked. It was too orderly and ordinary and boring for Severus’s taste. He reached the house soon and rang the doorbell; he waited hearing a brief commotion inside while mentally preparing himself, or trying to at least, to see his best friend’s son again after ten years.

            When the door opened, Severus found himself looking at a miniature version of James looking back at him with his mother’s eyes. Severus had only seen Harry as a baby and only under a glamour so he never knew what his unofficial godson actually looked like. Harry had taken after his father in practically everything, same messy black hair, same face though his eyes were definitely his mother’s even if the wire-rimmed glasses made Severus think of his father.

            “Hello,” Severus said forcing himself to speak so he didn’t look like a dunderheaded dolt staring as if he was looking at a ghost though he supposed, in a way, he was. “I am Professor Severus Snape.”

            Harry smiled in greeting. “I’m Harry,” he said softly.

            Severus’s eyebrows rose at the unnecessary introduction but decided to ignore it.

            “Is it the freak?” a voice said with a growl and Severus stiffened at the tone of voice as a robust man with a graying mustache stepped into view. Beside him stood a skinny woman with a pinched face and narrowed eyes.

            Severus kept his voice carefully under control, despite the anger that rose in him at that particular word, the word his father often called him before he was killed, as he said, “We’d best get going, Mr. Potter.” He only called Harry by his last name because of the fact that was the way all teachers addressed their students. “We have a lot to do today and there is much I have to tell you and I would rather not waste time.”

            Harry glanced at his aunt and uncle before stepping out of the house as Severus turned around and walked away. Harry walked after him gazing at him with curiosity before he looked down and shuffled his feet.

            “Do you have a question, Mr. Potter?” Severus asked not looking at his best friend’s son as he searched for a suitable spot to talk where he knew he couldn’t be overheard by anyone. Plus, it hurt to look at someone who reminded him so much of his best friend but he knew he would have to get used to it.

            Harry said nothing.

            “If you do then ask it.”

            “I’m not supposed to ask questions,” Harry sounded resigned and irritated.

            Severus stopped and looked at the small boy taking in his appearance, which he hadn’t been able to do earlier, as he did so. The boy looked much too small to be an eleven year old; he was dressed in what was obviously hand-me downs that have seen better days. Severus’s teeth gritted before he glared at the household; just by one look at Harry, he knew that his unofficial godson was not being treated right by his guardians.

            Severus had learned to see the signs of abuse and neglect during his years as a Hogwarts professor. He had lived for six years with an abusive father before his father’s death and was often bullied by the children of most pureblood families. James was the only pureblood child who actually stood up for Severus, the half-blood ‘spawn’ as many called him. But, either way, those years with his father and with the bullying had left him with a way of seeing the signs.

            It made him furious that he even suspected the child of his best friend whom he promised to protect was being abused by his guardians.

            Severus Snape was determined to figure out the truth of the matter as soon as he could but he also knew, from his earlier years as a Hogwarts professor when he first started taking a hand in helping the abused or neglected children who came to Slytherin, that he would have to tread carefully and be gentle.

            Severus wasn’t known for his gentleness but he would try especially for his best friend’s son.

            “You can here,” he said forcing a kind tone into his voice. “If you have any questions then simply ask me. I will tell you if I can answer them or not.”

            Harry hesitated staring at the ground before he glanced up. “What’s Diagon Alley?” he asked finally.

            “Diagon Alley is a place in the Wizarding World where students normally get their school supplies, their textbooks and their wands,” Severus said.

            “But I can’t pay for anything,” Harry said.

            Severus raised his eyebrows again and Harry looked down. “Sorry,” he said.

            “Don’t apologize,” the Potions Master said. He already knew about the vault that James and Lily had left Harry and the amount of money that would help Harry long after he graduated from Hogwarts. “But do not worry about money. Your parents left you enough to last all seven years at Hogwarts and beyond. Your father left you as sole heir to his fortunes.”

            Harry’s eyes went round with shock. “They did?”

            “Yes,” Severus said with a frown remembering that Albus said a stipend was given to Harry’s guardians every month to take care of him.

            He decided to approach that subject later. “Come, we are going to apparate from here,” he said as he led the way into an area out of view of any passing muggles.

            “What’s…?”

            “It’s a form of transportation in the Wizarding World,” said Severus already knowing what his unofficial godson was going to ask. “We’ll be going to the Leaky Cauldron but I need to tell you something first, Mr. Potter.”

            Harry looked at him with confusion in his emerald eyes.

            Severus pondered how to approach the topic and decided on the simplest way he could think of. “Mr. Potter, I am going to be straightforward with you. You are famous in the Wizarding World,” he said.

            Harry’s eyes widened. “But why?” he asked.

            Severus took a deep breath; he hated remembering that Halloween night ten years ago when he lost the best friend he ever had but he knew James’s son deserved to know the entire truth. “In our world, there was a war going on that ended ten years ago. A dark wizard that is known as He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, or You-Know-Who or, by some, the Dark Lord, arose with a plan to conquer the Wizarding World.” Severus went on to explain how Harry’s parents, and Severus to a lesser extent, had fought against the dark wizard. As per Albus’s orders, he didn’t mention the prophecy but he did explain what happened in Godric’s Hollow Halloween night.

            “The Dark Lord found where your parents and you were hiding because they were betrayed. He killed your parents but when he tried to kill you, the Killing Curse that should have killed you instantly was rebounded. It destroyed him and you were only left with your scar,” Severus said gesturing to the scar on Harry’s forehead.

            “No one survives the Killing Curse, Mr. Potter, and because you did, you were declared the Boy-Who-Lived and everyone in the Wizarding World knows you because of it,” he finished.

            “But I’m just Harry,” Harry protested.

            Severus gave the boy a small, sad smile, more a sneer than an actual smile, before he said, “I’m afraid you won’t be ‘just Harry’ ever again. But we’ve discussed this long enough. I just wished to let you know so you don’t get too shocked when people call you by name or stare at you. Stay by me at all times when we get to Diagon Alley, Mr. Potter. I mean it.”

            “Yes sir.”

            Severus’s lips pressed together in a thin line but since he and Albus both knew that Voldemort wasn’t gone for good, Severus was with the Death Eaters as a spy long enough to know that Voldemort would most likely do whatever he must to come back alive, he had to keep his cover as a spy. That meant he couldn’t reveal his relationship with Harry’s father just yet; he would wait until there was more privacy and less chance of being overheard.

            “Come, Mr. Potter. Just hold on to my arm and do not let go.”

            Harry nodded and grabbed Severus’s arm. Severus, glancing around to make sure there were no muggles nearby, turned and apparated away with a barely heard pop that distilled the air.

 


            The Leaky Cauldron was located between a bookshop and a record store. Harry noticed that many people who were walking by it didn’t give it a second look. Professor Snape led him in into the pub. It was dark and shabby with a bar located across from the door and a number of tables in the shadows of the corners.

            “Severus Snape, it’s been a while,” a man said from behind the counter.

            Snape’s lips pressed together before he said, “Just helping a student get his supplies, Tom.”

            The man, Tom, looked at Harry before his eyes widened when he caught sight of the scar. “Harry Potter?”

            Harry felt uncomfortable under the man’s look and he could tell that his name had caused a stir in the rest of the customers. More people were standing up and walking over to join them, greeting him as if he was an old friend, some even stretching out a hand. Harry was feeling overwhelmed and, thankfully, Snape noticed.

            He sent a threatening scowl at the group who quickly backed up a few steps. “If you will excuse us,” he growled before he gripped Harry’s shoulder firmly but gently and guided him toward the other end of the pub. Before he got there, though, a tall, skinny man with a purple turban stepped in front of him.

            “H…Hello Severus and h…hello t…to you t…too H…Harry P…Potter,” the man said holding out a hand. Harry felt uncomfortable and, for some reason, his scar was beginning to hurt. He didn’t want to appear rude though so he took the man’s hand and shook it.

            “Uh, nice to meet you,” he said uncertainly.

            The man smiled. “I…It is n…nice to meet you too,” he said before he walked past the group and, as he walked away, the pain in Harry’s scar seemed to fade. He frowned at that but decided against worrying about it as he glanced at Snape.

            Snape’s lips were pressed together in a thin line and his dark eyes glittered with an unreadable emotion as he gazed after the man. Turning his gaze back to Harry, his eyes seemed to soften and he said, “That was Professor Quirinus Quirrel, he will be one of your teachers this year at Hogwarts. Now come.”

            He led Harry into a chilly courtyard right outside the pub before he pulled out his wand and Harry watched as he tapped the bricks in the wall in an anti-clockwise order. A doorway seemed to appear between the rocks, much to Harry’s shock. Snape glanced at him before gesturing. “After you, Mr. Potter,” he said.

            Harry entered Diagon Alley with Snape just behind him still looking around with huge eyes. He could see many people walking around in robes of all colors, some of them were wearing pointed hats. Many were talking as they walked.

            “We’re going to Gringotts first,” said Snape glancing at Harry before leading him toward one of the buildings partway down the alley. Harry had to jog to keep up with the professor’s long strides and, seeming to have noticed that, Snape slowed down a bit.

            “What’s Gringotts?” Harry asked. Snape had told him that he could ask questions, and not get into trouble, and Harry was going to take advantage of it while he had the chance since he knew he would lose that privilege once he got back to the Dursleys.

            “It’s the Wizarding bank,” said Snape. “Goblins run it. You must be very polite to the goblins, Mr. Potter. Always treat them with respect.”

            “Yes sir.”

            When they reached Gringotts, an imposing snow-white multistoried marble building, Snape led them into the marble entrance hall. Harry did his best to not stare at the small black-eyed creatures but they looked so different with their long fingers and feet and their peach-colored skin that he couldn’t help but stare. He snapped his gaze away and looked at the floor when one of the goblins nearly made eye-contact with him.

            Snape led him to the front desk where a goblin was seated. The goblin looked up and Snape said, “We’re here to withdraw money from Vault 687.”

            “Do you have the key?” the goblin asked.

            Snape held out a golden key that Harry hadn’t noticed he had with him and the goblin took it before nodding. “Griphook,” he called and another goblin came out.

            “Take them to Vault 687,” the goblin said handing the key to the goblin, Griphook, who nodded and led the professor and the student to the area where the vaults were located.

 


            “Wow, all of this is mine?” Harry said with wide-eyed wonder as he gazed at the piles upon piles of fortune within the Potter Vault. Gold, silver, bronze, jewelry, scrolls, paintings and so much more could be seen placed in various locations around the vault. Severus, who was standing near the cart they had taken to reach the vault, nodded.

            “Yes, as I told you before, your father left you everything,” he said.

            Harry turned his gaze back to the piles of fortune. “Who much do I take?” He said looking at Severus with a perplexed expression on his face.

            Severus stood up before walking over to the vault and removing a specific amount that would be enough to get Harry his supplies and his wand. “That should be enough,” he said filling a pouch before handing it to Harry who looked startled.

            “What if I lose it?” he said.

            “Don’t lose it,” Severus said. “You’ll be fine, Mr. Potter.”

            Harry looked through the pouch before pulling out a Galleon and frowning. “What’s this?”

            Severus raised an eyebrow but explained. “That is a Galleon.” He went on to explain the currency exchange rate though he had a feeling that by the time he was done, he had confused Harry more than helped him.

            “Um, okay?” Harry said proving Severus’s right.

            Resisting the urge to smile, Severus gestured to the cart. “We still have some things to take care of,” he said.

            After another dizzying, stomach-turning ride, they returned to the main entrance hall. Severus, hand on Harry’s shoulder, guided him toward the entrance only to stop when someone called his name.

            “Severus!”

            Severus turned to find Septima Vector walking over to join him with a bushy-haired girl and two adults that he figured were her parents just behind him. “Septima,” he greeted the Arthimancy professor with an incline of his head.

            “I am surprised to see you here,” Septima admitted. “Running an errand for Albus?”

            “No, taking a new first year to get his supplies. Mr. Potter, this is Professor Septima Vector, she also teaches at Hogwarts,” Severus said to Harry who was gazing at Septima shyly.      

            Septima smiled in greeting. “Hello Mr. Potter,” she said not acting as the other people had when Harry was introduced for which Severus was grateful. She turned her gaze to the family that was behind her before saying, “Miss. Granger, this is Professor Severus Snape.”

            “It’s nice to meet you,” the bushy-haired girl said.

            “We need to get going though,” said Septima. “We’ve got a lot to do. I will see you back at Hogwarts, Severus.”

            Severus inclined his head and the Arthimancy professor and the family with her left Gringotts.

            Harry, who had been strangely silent, looked up. “Where are we going now, Professor?” he asked.

            Severus wondered if he was just shy or not but decided not to worry about it. “Let’s go to Madame Malkins to get your robes,” he said before he led the way back into Diagon Alley glancing over his shoulder as Harry trailed after him.

 


            After Harry got his robes from Madame Malkins and his books from Flourish and Blotts and everything else he needed, he and Professor Snape headed off to Ollivander’s Wand Shop. As they walked, Harry was still very conscious of the stares he was receiving from everyone as they walked. Though he couldn’t hear what was being said, he could hear whispers and he didn’t like it. He knew better than to say anything though so he just did as Snape told him to and stayed close to him.

            “Severus, I was not expecting to see you here.”

            The smooth, cultured voice sounded and Snape stiffened before placing a hand on Harry’s head brushing his hair to where it fell over his forehead successfully hiding the scar before he turned around as a man dressed in dark gray robes with a cane topped by a dragon’s head walked over to join them. Behind him was a shorter boy with the same blond hair though his wasn’t as long as the man’s.

            “Lucius,” Snape said voice cool and carefully controlled.

            “And who’s this?” Lucius turned gray eyes to Harry who fidgeted under the piercing gaze. “I never took you for the babysitting type, Severus.”

            Harry didn’t know whether to feel insulted or angry by that but didn’t say a thing knowing better than to talk to an adult when not spoken to.

            “I’m hardly babysitting him, Lucius,” Snape said upper lip curling a little. “I am merely doing a favor. Now if you will excuse me…”

            “Yes, yes, of course. You may as well get back to your favor,” Lucius said with a sneer before he glanced at the blonde boy. “Come, Draco.” He turned around and walked away with the blonde boy walking after him.

            “Who was that, Professor?” Harry asked.

            Lips thinning, Snape turned around before saying, “That was Lucius Malfoy, Mr. Potter. He is…an old friend of mine but you would be wise to stay clear of him.”

            “Yes sir.”

            “Come, let’s get your wand.”

            He led Harry toward Ollivander’s Wand Shop before stepping into the small shop. Harry was surprised to see Professor Vector along with the Grangers standing there with the girl, he never did get her name, trying out the wand that was given to her. Ollivander, a tall man with white hair and lips pressed together in a thin line, took the wand that he had just handed to the girl muttering, “no, not that one” before he grabbed another one.

            “Try this, 10 ¾ inches, vine, dragon heartstring at its core,” he said holding out the wand. The girl took it before waving it and her eyes widened when sparks sprouted out of the end of it.

            Ollivander nodded. “That is the one for you. That will be four galleons,” he said and, when Vector paid him and left with the Grangers, he caught sight of Harry.

            “I have been waiting for you to come, Harry Potter,” he said. Harry hesitated but, when he looked at Snape who gave a slight nod, he walked forward. “Now then, which is your wand arm?”

            Not entirely sure, Harry held out his right arm. Ollivander measured it before he began handing Harry wand after wand. The first one that Harry waved caused a shelf next to Snape’s head to explode, much to his horror, and many others didn’t do anything. There were times when Ollivander would take a wand out of his hand before he had even a chance to wave it.

            They went through several wands and Harry was beginning to feel as though none of them were going to choose him. Ollivander didn’t give up though. His lips pressed together as if he was thinking before he said, “There is one more wand I would like you to try.”

            Without waiting for Harry to respond, he turned around and disappeared into the back of the room.

            “What if none of them choose me?” Harry asked worriedly.

            “The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter, you just have to be patient,” Snape said as Ollivander came back dusting off a box.

            “Try this. 11 inches, holly, phoenix feather at its core,” he said pulling out the wand and gently handing it to Harry who took it and gave it a wave. He felt instantly connected to the wand in a way he couldn’t explain and sparks sprouted out of the end.

            Ollivander nodded though he looked a bit surprised. “Curious…very curious…” he said.

            “Sorry, but what’s curious?” Harry asked confused.

            The wandmaker simply looked at him. “I remember every wand I’ve ever sold, Mr. Potter. It so happens that the phoenix whose tail-feather resides in your wand gave another feather…just one other. It is curious that you should be destined for this wand when its brother gave you that scar.”

            Harry paled as he remembered what Snape told him but he wanted it to be confirmed; he needed to know if it was true. “Who owned that wand?” He asked.

            “We do not speak his name! The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter. It’s not always clear why. But I think it is clear that we can expect great things from you. After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things. Terrible! Yes. But great.”

            Snape had also gone pale at the mention of that though it was hard to tale since Snape was always pale. However, he said nothing as he paid for the wand as well a holster that he handed to Harry. “Here, this will keep you from losing or breaking your wand.”

            “You didn’t need to…” Harry began.

            “Take it, Mr. Potter,” Snape said.

            Harry took the holster deciding not to protest though he was still surprised that the professor was being so nice to him.

            “Come, let’s get you back to your relatives,” Snape said and there was no denying the dislike in his voice.

            They left the wandshop and began making their way back to the Leaky Cauldron when a shout sounded and Snape, with an irritated look in his eyes, turned. Harry did the same and couldn’t help but gaze wide-eyed at the tallest, biggest man he had ever seen. The man had thick hair and a full beard and was carrying a covered cage in his hand. “Sev’rus, glad I caught up with ya,” he said.

            “Hagrid, I thought you were taking care of the business Albus sent you on earlier,” Snape said his voice was flat.

            “I finished it already, Sev’rus. I saw ya come ‘ere with young ‘Arry and decided to get ‘im something for his birthday since it was yesterday,” the big man said.

            Snape raised his eyebrows before glancing at Harry who was still gazing at the man in awe. “This is Rubeus Hagrid, Mr. Potter,” he said.

            “Um, nice to meet you sir,” Harry said holding out a hand.

            Hagrid looked at Harry and took his small hand in his large one. “Ah, las’ time I see ya, ye were a tiny baby,” he said.

            Harry blushed before he frowned as he remembered some of his earliest memories. “You were the one in the flying motorcycle?” he asked.

            Snape stiffened while Hagrid looked surprised. “Ya remember?” he said surprised.

            “Well, a little, I mean, it’s fuzzy,” Harry said with a shrug.

            Hagrid smiled and said, “Well, I got this for ya. Happy Birthday, ‘Arry.” He held out the cage and Harry, with a frown, took it before removing the cover. His eyes widened when he spotted the snowy owl perched in the center of it and blinking golden eyes at him. The owl chirped.

            “Thought ya’d like her. She’s a post owl an’ she can carry messages anywhere,” said Hagrid.

            “Thank you, Mr. Hagrid,” Harry said still stunned that someone would get him such a great present.

            “Ah call me Hagrid, ‘Arry,” Hagrid said with a joyful grin. “Glad ya like it though, ‘Arry. See ya at Hogwarts.”

            Harry watched the giant man walk off before gazing at the owl and frowned. “I don’t think Uncle Vernon’ll let me keep her,” he said.

            “Why do you say that?” Snape asked.

            “He…well he doesn’t like birds, ‘specially not owls since owls kept arriving with my Hogwarts letter.”

            “I’ll talk with your relatives,” Snape said sneering out the word as though it were a curse. “Come, let’s get you home.”

            Harry nodded before following Snape as he led the way out of Diagon Alley. As they made their way back to Privet Drive, Snape told him about his parents and Harry learned that his parents had been in Gryffindor and that his mother was good with charms while his father was good at flying, Transfigurations and "getting into trouble constantly". It was odd that Snape had said those last words almost fondly and Harry had to wonder if Snape knew his father more than he was letting on.


           “Here’s your ticket, Mr. Potter,” Severus said handing the ticket to Harry as he helped his best friend’s son bring his supplies indoors. “We expect you to be at Platform 9 and ¾ September 1st, I’m sure your relatives will be more than happy to take you there then.” He glared at Petunia and Vernon as if daring them to contradict his words.

            Severus had learned a long time ago to trust his instincts and, currently, his instincts were telling him that Vernon and Petunia Dursley were not the right guardians for his best friend’s son. Minerva had told him that she thought they were the worst sort of muggles and, though Severus knew about as much as Minerva, he agreed. Besides, he had taken to observing the Dursleys, the house and Harry when he was giving some last minute instructions.

            The first thing he noticed was the lack of pictures. There were pictures of Petunia, Vernon and their son Dudley all over the place but Severus couldn’t see any images of Harry or even of James and Lily. The second thing was how timid Harry seemed to be around his aunt and uncle and how he always responded to them in a monotonous but polite voice. He always kept his gaze averted to the floor and flinched whenever someone raised their voice as Vernon did when he and Severus returned and had shouted at Severus to leave. The third thing was the way Vernon and Petunia looked at Harry as if he was just a spot of dirt that couldn’t be removed; though carefully hidden, their body language conveyed a sense of disdain.

            It wasn’t solid proof that Harry’s guardians were being abusive but it was something more than what he learned when he first arrived to pick up his best friend’s son. The only way Severus could know for sure is if he could get Harry to open up to him but that was going to be hard, it usually was when it came to abused children, but he would try. He owed it to James, and to his promise, to try.

            “I will see you when you arrive at Hogwarts,” he said.

            Harry looked up at him. “Thank you, professor,” he said politely.

            “You are welcome, Mr. Potter.” He turned his gaze to Petunia and Vernon as Harry made his way up the stairs with his supplies. “I expect him to be at the platform on September 1st or I will come by again to see where he is,” he said voice cold. “And if you do anything to him…”

            “Don’t ya dare accuse me of doing anything in my own home, you freak,” Vernon growled.

            “I am not accusing you of anything, I am simply warning you,” Severus said not at all fazed by Vernon’s fury before he added, with slight sarcasm. “Good day to you,” before turning around and leaving the house.

            Once he was a good distance from the house, he apparated to the gates of Hogwarts thoughts focused on what he could to do to see if his suspicions were true.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews, as always, are much appreciated and the next chapter will, hopefully, be posted this weekend.