Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Christmas

Harry was used to being alone, so when his father told him he'd be going out for a few hours, it didn't faze him too much. He only hoped Calen wouldn't try to pin him against a wall and hurt him again. He was still sore and feeling emotionally exhausted and wasn't ready to take on Calen just yet. Well, maybe not at all he thought. He looked around the room the hired house elf, Tink, had just helped him clean up and decorate. His father had given him a pretty nice room with a very soft bed, but Harry knew better than to hope for anything else. Calen had been there much longer and already had their father's love. I'll probably just stay up here on Christmas morning, he thought to himself as he sat on the low windowsill with one leg hanging down, looking at the mountains as the sun went down behind them. No way to be disappointed when I don't get any gifts then, and besides that I have nothing to give to Calen or my father. Well that's not true, Harry thought, he could leave, he was sure that would make Calen happy, but he really didn't want to, not after all that had happened.

Feeling bored and thinking his father was probably still out, Harry left his new room to go back and investigate the children's den and give it a closer look. It looked like it had some interesting things in there, and his room looked pretty sparse. He knew he was too old to play with toys, but maybe he could still take one for his room, just to decorate he told himself. He was denying the truth though. He really wanted a toy to play with and to pretend on Christmas morning that someone had given him something because he was loved and wanted.

Harry peered around corners as he made his way back to the ground floor and was relieved to make it to his destination without running into Calen. Eyes quickly scanning the tall shelves and all of the children's books, both Muggle and magic, he let his mouth open a little in awe. He'd always loved to read but had never had a chance unless at school. Now he had access to more books than he ever thought he'd get through. He climbed up a small ladder and began browsing the books and pulling down picture books and novels he wanted to take back to his room to look at.

"Really Potter? Picture books?"

Harry turned to spy Calen standing in the doorway and turned away, pretending to go back to browsing the shelves.

"At least I read," Harry muttered, but if Calen heard it he didn't respond to it.

"Think because you got your own room you've got the run of the house now?"

Harry climbed down the ladder with another armful of books and set them on his neat pile on one of the end tables.

"I didn't see a sign that said ‘Calen only'."

Calen shook his head. "No, you just came here to take everything that's mine."

"I haven't taken anything from you," Harry said. He wanted to take the books and go back to his room to avoid a conflict because he wanted to avoid injury, but also because he was pretty sure his father would be displeased to come home and find them fighting. He also didn't want Calen to think he'd won and chased him out though.

Calen snorted. "Don't think so?"

"No," Harry said. He turned and spied a stack of board games, some of which he and Ron played together in the common room and said, "Want to play a board game?"

"Whatever Potter." Calen plopped down in a chair that looked to Harry like it was Calen's and Calen's alone. He wasn't leaving. With a sigh Harry took the armful of books and left the den. He was a little angry though. He shouldn't have to go back to his room just because Calen was downstairs. So instead of going back upstairs he crossed the large hallway and went into the living room with the decorated tree and sat down on the couch. He was halfway through chapter one of a book about a Muggle boy who was surviving in the wild with only an axe when Calen came in and stood in the doorway with his arms crossed.

"See all those gifts," Calen asked smugly.

Harry looked up from his book and then over to the tree. Yeah, he'd seen. There were probably thirty of them down there, including two very large boxes wrapped in bright red paper with big green bows on them.

"Yeah yeah," Harry said, "there're all yours, I know, and no, I don't expect to get anything, and yes, I know you think you're something special just because you got here first, and no," Harry said with finality, looking up at his brother, "I don't ever expect to be treated as well as you. So you can stop now. You've made your point. You're the king and I'm the peasant. Congratulations King Calen." Harry snapped his book closed and left through the other entrance to the room, the one that lead to a lesser living room. He was going to go back to his room, but the moment he'd stepped into the smaller room he found himself walking right into his father's chest. He stumbled back a step and looked up into his father's dark eyes which seemed to be just as surprised as his own. He swallowed hard. Was he going to get it now because his father had just heard him putting Calen down?

"S-sorry," Harry said, eyes immediately going to the floor where they were supposed to be. The only time he usually dared to look into his father's eyes was at school when he was angry because he didn't think teachers could do anything really bad to him, but after the man had cut his hair he knew that was different, and besides, they weren't at the school now and Harry really didn't want to spend Christmas back out on the street.

"For?"

Harry shook his head. "Just- sorry." He made to move around him quickly and out the door to the hall and was surprised to get out without punishment. He was sure his father had head everything he'd said, and all Calen had asked was if he'd seen the presents under the tree. Great job Harry, he thought to himself as he raced back up to his room. He should have just stayed there in the first place, he thought. He had no idea that at that moment his father was downstairs lecturing his brother for not doing the one thing he'd asked of him while he was away.

The next morning at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Harry was very quiet, and otherwise spent the day in his room and avoiding all contact with Calen and their father. His plan to stay under the radar and out of sight had worked so well in fact that he planned on doing it again the next day, which was Christmas. He didn't know that his father had made other plans, and Harry was already asleep that night before his father came in to tell him that he was getting presents the next morning, and that August would be coming over as well, or at least Severus thought he was asleep. Harry opened his eyes in the dark room just as his father sighed and closed his bedroom door.

That's all I am to them, Harry thought, just a sigh. I'm no better here than I was in the cupboard under the stairs.

* * *

Harry was surprised when his father shook him awake in the darkness the next morning. "Whassit?" Harry asked blearily. For a moment he was confused because he was in a four-poster with red hangings and thought he was back in Gryffindor tower.

"Wake up Harry. August will be here soon."

Rubbing his eyes Harry got out of bed in a hurry. He still didn't know what was going on, but if his father was getting him up early it must have been important.

"Put this on." His father handed him a robe in the darkness and Harry didn't question that it was his size or if Calen would be mad that he was wearing it and just put it on.

"August is coming?" Harry asked as he noticed a pair of slippers next to his feet and put them on as well.

"Yes in about an hour. It's tradition on Christmas to prepare breakfast as a family and I thought we'd start early."

He followed his father out of the room and found Calen in the hall, looking equally as sleepy and wondered that Calen also had on a robe and slippers and wondered if he was wearing one of his brother's spare robes. He never once stopped to think that it was brand new and it was all his.

Downstairs and into the smaller kitchen they followed their father, who waved up the lights and began pulling out pots and pans, bowls and utensils.

"Do either of you know how to make biscuits?"

Calen stepped forward with a smug though tired look on his face and was directed to start making biscuits from scratch, though there was also an old recipe card in hopelessly loopy cursive for Calen to look at.

"What can you make Harry?"

Harry looked up. "Er..." When Calen looked up from the eggs he was cracking only to smirk, Harry grew irritated and said, "Bacon, eggs, biscuits, quiche, potatoes, bangers, black and white pudding, fruit pudding, soda bread, oat cakes..." he could have gone on, but chose to stop. The Dursleys didn't like to cook for themselves and had even gone as far as enrolling Harry in several cooking courses throughout the years (the only favor they'd ever done him) to ensure they'd eat well.

Severus nodded and Harry took it as a sign of approval since Calen's smirk turned to a sneer and he went back to making his biscuits. "How about the soda bread and fruit pudding then?"

Harry went to the opposite side of the island as Calen and began working. He felt like they were in Potions competing again, only hopefully this time his father wasn't going to stare down his nose at him with a scowl.

As they worked, light began to shine in through the windows and the kitchen started to smell nice. Maybe they'd let him eat some of what he was cooking. Wouldn't that be nice? A Christmas where he got to eat with everyone else? At six ten they heard August calling to them from the hall and Severus called back to him to come into the kitchen. A moment later August appeared looking cheerful and wearing a warm looking green pullover.

"Morning Severus," August greeted with a smile.

"Good morning."

"Cooking breakfast as a family, I thought the Prince's didn't do that."

"No but the Snape's do," Severus said and August smiled.

"As to the Prices." He came to stand next to Harry and tossled his messy hair. "And how are you boys this morning? Looking forward to opening presents?"

"Yes," Calen said and Harry gave a weak smile. His mood was starting to turn sour and he wished it wouldn't, especially not now that August was there and considering that he also was here rather than out on the street in the cold.

Finally at six thirty and with August's help to finish the eggs and orange glazed cinnamon rolls, breakfast was ready and on the table and they all sat down to eat, August talking to Severus about an incident at Hogwarts and a theft on Diagonalley, and trying to engage Calen in a conversation about Quidditch. Calen wasn't interested in talking though so August turned to Harry and said, "That's a nice new robe you have there Harry."

"Huh?" He looked down and looked at the somewhat dirty robe he was wearing. It was dark green plaid and very soft. "It's not mine," he said.

August raised his brows. "It's not?"

"Yes it is." Harry looked up at his father across the table. "Both he and Calen got a new robe and slippers for Christmas. That is a Prince tradition."

"Well they both look handsome," August said. Harry was glad he was there because he could feel the tension in the room ease a little whenever August spoke. August didn't seem to notice the tension at all, maybe that's why it worked.

After breakfast Harry was getting ready to clear away all the dishes when his father called for him to follow them into the family room and Harry set his plate down and followed. The tree was lit up and light was streaming in from the windows, and there was a warm fire in the grate. The presents under the tree also seemed to have doubled and Harry's eyes bugged out of his head. Even Dudley didn't get this many presents on Christmas! He couldn't believe Calen was getting all of this! This must have been where his father had been that day Harry had gotten his new room, out shopping to buy more for Calen.

"Sit by the tree and be sure to check labels so you only open your own," Severus said and it took Harry a moment to register that his father wasn't only talking to Calen. He wanted to ask, ‘there are presents for me too?' but didn't want to sound foolish so he sat and watched as Calen ripped into a present which turned out to be a new Potion's book. After Calen had opened three more, August told Harry to open one of the big red ones and Harry and Calen both looked up.

"Ok," Harry said. He stood and went to the larger of the two red boxes and saw for the first time that it had his name on it and also said, ‘From August.' Harry tore the paper off eagerly and was both surprised and touched to find brand new school supplies and books inside. He wouldn't have to borrow Ron's books anymore or scrounge for paper ink and quills.

"Wow," Harry said, and looked up at August. "Thank you!" He was so happy he thought he might cry.

"The other red one is from me as well."

Harry ripped into it and found new robes and the nicest dragon hide gloves he'd ever seen. Now he wouldn't have to be as careful handling his cauldron and could concentrate more on the potion itself.

"Thank you so much," Harry said. If Calen hadn't been there, he thought he might have gone and hugged August but didn't want to seem like a baby and so he didn't.

"Thank you for the books father," Calen said then and Severus nodded. "Calen, open the blue package, Harry, why don't you open some more of the red ones." Harry looked now and realized that all the blue and silver ones had Calen's name on them, and all of the Red and Gold ones had Harry's name, though there were some more gifts in randomly colored paper with his name as well.

Harry reached for a red gift and though it didn't say ‘from your father' or ‘from dad' he knew Snape's flowing script and opened the package to find new Quidditch gloves and a new pair of flying goggles. He couldn't help himself then and let out a little giggle, quickly covering his mouth. He hadn't meant it to be rude, he'd just been so happy that the giggle had escaped. So far his father had gotten him a new robe and slippers and new flying gear.

"Thank you," Harry said, voice quieter as he suddenly felt sheepish.

"You are welcome," Severus said, and then he took a sip of coffee, maybe to cover the fact that he too was smiling.

Harry and Calen ripped through present after present, and in the end, while Harry had less presents than Calen, Harry also knew that he had one from their father that was considerably more expensive, a new broom, the same model Calen had.

"That's a nice broom you've got yourself there Harry," August commented, and Harry grinned. Just wait until Ron saw it. A Nimbus 2001. There'd be no more fighting the old school brooms to go faster or turn sharper. Harry also had a pile of new clothing, hats, coats, and two new pairs of shoes, new books on flying, Potions, and Charms, snitch socks from Ron, a study planner from Hermione, and a hand drawn picture of him flying on a broom from Ginny. The twins had also given him some candy and Mrs. Weasley had given him a red sweater with a big H on it.

"You've forgotten your stockings," Severus said when the presents were all unwrapped and he'd vanished all the paper from the room.

Harry and Calen rose to retrieve the two full stockings from the fireplace. Calen dumped his out onto the floor to see it all more quickly, while Harry took his time to remove each item and savor the fact that he was getting something new from someone that cared about him. When they were done they basically had the same things in their stockings only different flavors of candy and different types of playing cards. Harry and Calen had both received some sort of Muggle card game that relied on different card packs to play, and had each received different packs. Harry took this as a less than subtle hint that they were meant to use the card game together, and looked at Calen who was determinedly not looking at him as he neatly packed up all of his presents into a big box.

Harry stood up and went to the couch his father was sitting on and said, "Thank you." He wanted to hug him as he'd wanted to hug August, but wasn't sure if it was acceptable or not.

"You are welcome."

Harry turned to August then and thanked him as well to a smile from August. Harry wanted to feel bad for Calen that August hadn't gotten him anything, or that he hadn't received gifts from his friends as Harry had, but Calen was sneering at Harry again when he turned to look at him and the notion faded.

August stayed for lunch, which he and Severus cooked while Harry and Calen used their new gifts, and left shortly after dinner. Apparently he lived in a town not terribly far away and wanted to get back to take some food to an elderly neighbor who was alone for Christmas.

That night as Harry lay in bed in his new room, surrounded by gifts that his friends and family had given him, he felt warm inside in a way he'd never felt before. It was like there was happiness swelling in his chest waiting to burst out and he didn't know how to contain it. He fell asleep with a grin and couldn't help but be in disbelief of his luck. Two weeks ago on the street, or three weeks ago at Hogwarts, he couldn't have imagined a Christmas like this, a Christmas in a home, with a father and August... Harry knew August wasn't his uncle, but he felt like he was, or a Godfather or something. Maybe he'd ask August later if he could call him uncle. Harry fell asleep with a smile on his face.

A few rooms down, Calen felt the opposite of Harry. He was angry and hurt and feeling quite lonely. He wanted nothing more than to seek his father out and get some comfort, but he didn't think that would happen with Harry there. That weird kid was ruining everything. Calen just didn't understand. He'd always been so popular in school before Hogwarts, he'd had friends, even in the orphanage he had a group that liked him. He was cool, he was intelligent, and he deserved to have friends. But Harry was just strange. He hadn't had any friends before Hogwarts and for their first year he hadn't had any friends either. But now he had seemed to have made quite a lot of friends, friends who had sent him lots of Christmas gifts and cards expressing their love and adoration for him. Even August had gotten him something but hadn't gotten Calen anything. What was he doing wrong? Why did everyone like Harry so much and not him?

As Calen lay awake well into the night, he was also forced to wonder how long it would be before their father decided that he liked Harry better than his other son, his cool son, the son that loved him most.