Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

Snape took his time in the kitchen, doing things the muggle way instead of using magic. The grilled cheese sizzled in the pan, and the leftover tomato soup from last night's meal was just starting to bubble in the small pot next to it. These things could have been finished in a quarter of the time using magic, but Snape admitted to himself that he was stalling. What exactly was he expected to say to the child sitting in his living room?

He placed the two sandwiches on the plate, then poured the soup into an old, chipped bowl. Wondering what the boy would prefer to drink, he settled on a glass of milk. Are you going to place his napkin in his lap for him, too? He berated, irritated with himself.

Why the hell did he suddenly seem to give a damn about Potter's wellbeing? The boy had been a menace the entire five years he'd known him. Reckless, irresponsible, spoiled, pampered Potter! But then he remembered the sight of him on the ground beneath his uncle, and after that, his cousin…

Snape's hands shook as he placed the food on an old wooden breakfast tray, making the china rattle. Placing his hands firmly on the counter, he closed his eyes, hanging his head and allowing the curtain of his hair to swing forward and cover his face. He took repeated deep breaths in order to calm himself. Harry's terrified eyes shone in his memory, locked on him through the chain link. Then they started to morph and change. Suddenly he was staring at another young boy, eyes black with hatred and pain burning ominously in their depths. His hands shook again as his heart began to pound.

This wasn't working.

Reaching over to the grates on the stove that were still hot from the fire beneath them, he placed his palm against the metal until he heard his skin start to sizzle. The physical pain was there, but he was able to get his emotions in check, and he felt numb and empty.

Good.

Straightening his shoulders, Snape inspected his burned hand. An angry-looking raw, red blister was beginning to form. He knew it would scar, but didn't care. Easily explained for a potions-master, he thought. I'll use the ointment later. With that, he hovered the tray into the living room, where it settled gently in the air in front of Potter. His uncertain eyes flicked to Snape as if asking permission.

"Eat," Snape ordered, harsher than he intended, and the boy gingerly picked up a grilled cheese and took a bite. Snape started a fire in the grate, then sat on the second couch opposite Potter, watching him devour the simple meal. He obviously was telling the truth about not having eaten, Snape noted. His eyes fell to the large bruise covering the boy's cheek, but he stayed quiet while Potter ate, gathering his thoughts and wondering about the best way to approach this dreaded conversation.

When Potter finished, Snape banished the dishes with a wave of his wand. "Potter… We need to talk about the events of today."

The boy's eyes flared with anxiety, before he tried to shutter it behind false bravado.

"Why?" Potter was obviously trying to sound casual about it, but Snape could hear the unease hidden just beneath the surface. "Nothing really happened."

Snape placed his elbows on his knees, leaning toward the boy. "Nothing really happened?" The direct approach, then. "Potter, I've been watching you all day. I saw the episode with the car. And after, with your uncle." His hands fisted on his knees. "And there's no denying what your cousin was intending to do…"

Potter refused to meet his gaze. "Yeah, well… I can take a punch every now and then." Snape noted that the boy chose to completely ignore the second half of what he'd said, focusing instead on indignant anger. "I would have thought that you'd like seeing what my uncle does to me. God knows you've wanted to hit me more than once since I've known you," he challenged, angry eyes coming back to rest on him.

"I do not agree with laying hands on a child – no matter how infuriating that child may be," he growled, but as he paused, his voice softened… "However, that is not what I want to discuss just now."

Potter was on his feet in an instant, grabbing for a wand that was not there. "What are you, some kind of pervert?!" The boy spat desperately at him. "Why the hell do you want to talk about it? Dudley has never done anything like that before. So we don't have to talk about it, alright? I can take care of myself!" But the boy was visibly shaking by the end of his tirade.

"We need to discuss this, Potter. I need to know—"

"What? What exactly do you need to know? Has he ever touched me before? Has ever forced himself on me? Did he… Did he rape me? No, that's never happened before, ok? I don't… I don't know what-" But he cut himself off as Snape shot off the couch and stalked towards him. The boy started backing fearfully away.

Snape swept a hand through his hair, trying to tamp down his sudden violent anger. Do not take your feelings out on an innocent child, a small voice inside him whispered.

"He's never touched me before!" Potter repeated. The desperation in the boy's voice snapped his resolve, and he lunged for Potter. Catching the boy by the shoulders, he gave him a hard shake.

"Where was your wand, you idiot boy? You still do not have it! Are you a wizard or aren't you? Why didn't you protect yourself?!"

Snape knew in a small corner of his mind that the questions were ridiculous; Potter was not allowed to do magic outside of school. And what boy could be expected to defend himself against a grown man and a pack of wild animals? But his rage was beyond common sense at that moment, and he gave Potter one more teeth-rattling shake before the boy answered.

"I didn't have my wand! My uncle took it from me at the start of summer! Everything is locked in the cupboard under the stairs. I tried to get it out a few weeks ago, but he found me and I… I think he dislocated my shoulder. I had to pop it back in myself…" His gaze drifted away for a moment before his head snapped back up at Snape. "Why the hell do you care, anyway? You hate me! You've always hated me!"

Snape was suddenly slammed back into reality – into the here and now – and it was Lily's eyes he was staring back at, not Potter's. Lily's eyes…

Disgusted with himself, Snape suddenly released the boy, who stumbled backwards, and ran another hand through his hair as he walked away. What the hell was wrong with him? Potter sat here, bruised and beaten after having just been almost… He didn't need another bloody altercation with his professor on top of it all!

Snape tried to mollify the boy by placing himself on the opposite side of the couch, giving Potter plenty of breathing room. "Sit down, Potter."

The boy eyed him warily, not moving from his place where he'd backed himself against the wall. Still standing behind the couch, Snape placed his arms on the back and allowed his head to droop once again, breathing deep in order to further calm himself. He raised his head slowly, meeting Potter's wary gaze a second time. "I will not touch you again. Sit down."

.:HP::SS:HP::SS:.

Harry watched his professor watching him. Snape didn't move at all, instead allowing Harry to come closer when he felt comfortable. Harry walked slowly around the couch and sat, facing his professor as the man leaned against the back of the opposite sofa. The crackling of the fire was the only sound for long minutes. After a while Snape spoke.

"How long has your uncle been hitting you?" he asked quietly.

"As long as I can remember, sir," Harry sighed. He saw no point in lying. The man seemed to know more than Harry was comfortable with, anyway. He may as well get this conversation over with.

"And you never thought to tell anyone?" Snape continued, his voice strangely empty.

"What would be the point?" Harry shrugged. "It's not like they would have done anything about it."

His words hung heavily in the air before Snape sighed, "Your trust in adults is sorely lacking, Potter, and I can't say that I blame you. Both your head of house and the headmaster have been negligent in their duties. This should never have happened."

Harry was taken aback by Snape's words. Was he apologizing for Harry's situation? He didn't know what to stay to that, so he chose to stay silent.

Snape watched Harry for a long moment before he stated, "I need the truth, Potter. Has your cousin ever done this before?"

Harry nervously twisted his fingers in his lap, watching them with embarrassment. Why didn't Snape believe him when he said no?

"Look at me, Harry."

Harry's eyes snapped up in confusion. "That's the first time you've ever—"

"Legilimens."

Harry gasped as he felt Snape slip into his mind. Images suddenly rushed through his memory of their own accord. Harry locked in the cupboard during Dudley's fifth birthday party, tears leaking down his face as children played and ate cake in the living room, but terrified of making any sound; Harry enviously watching Dudley open an ungodly amount of gifts on Christmas morning; Harry being bullied by his bigger cousin until he was forced to fight back, and the depraved beating he received from his uncle afterward; Harry running for his life from Dudley and his gang; Harry being caught and slammed against the fence as Dudley ground himself against him—

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" Harry screamed, panting and covered with sweat from fighting so hard against Snape's mental grasp. "God dammit! He's never touched me before, alright?!" Harry was livid, and couldn't help the feeling of betrayal that washed through him. Snape had the grace to look slightly abashed.

"I needed to know the truth, Potter."

"I already told you the truth!" Harry yelled. "Why can't you just accept that I wouldn't lie about something like that?" Something ominous flickered behind the man's dark eyes, but before Harry could even guess as what it was, it was gone.

"I…" Snape cleared his throat, running a hand through his hair yet again. "I apologize… that I violated you in that way, Potter. It was imperative that I know the truth."

Harry didn't think it was possible, but he was shocked into silence yet again that night. But before Harry had much time to consider this, Snape spun and strode out of the room, leaving Harry alone and confused.