Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Final Chapter
Chapter 3
Harry dragged himself out of the maze with his good arm, his vision blurring slightly, the darkness threatening to take him under once again. He had lost his wand sometime during the battle with the Blast-Ended Skrewts. His burnt arm hurt something fierce, and he winced as he barely managed to sit up.

Snape's black boots came into view and he looked up. He was looking down his nose at Harry, a small sneer clearly visible even in the dark.

"Mr. Potter, what do you have to say for yourself?" his oily voice asked.

Harry's heart sank at the words. He didn't make it. He screwed up. He was heading back to the Dursleys after all. He took too long, and now he was in trouble. He looked behind him, and flinched as a Skrewt smacked into the wall nearest him.

"I don't-I...what?" Harry slurred, finally looking back at the professor.

Snape's sneer deepened. "Let's see...you broke my maze, you are the last one out of the maze--even that boy Longbottom made it out before you--and it seems you have lost your wand. Pitiful."

Harry could only pant as he stared at his professor, eyes beginning to swim and sweat falling down his chin.

"Accio Potter's wand!"

Harry's wand came sailing through the maze, clanking down right beside him on the grass. He didn't even bother to pick it up.

"You are lucky you are still here," Snape said lowly. "You made it out with barely a minute left." A clock blinked in front of him, showing Harry exactly that. "Your actions could have cost you a passing grade. Was it worth it?"

"The others made it, didn't they?" Harry managed to choke out. Tears of disappointment started to form, but he pushed them back. He didn't know if he failed or not. There was still a chance he made it. Slim, but still there.

"Not because of your actions. You were just another obstacle in their way," the man replied icily. Harry's breath stuttered.

"Get up and go with your other classmates to the healing area. You need to get that burn checked out before it gets more serious," Snape instructed.

Harry struggled to his feet, and he needed Snape's hand in order to keep his balance. Hair stuck to his forehead, and he blew it out of his vision as he looked up at the older man.

"Did I pass?" he dared to ask.

Snape was quiet for a long moment before turning away. "That is yet to be determined. Go to Madame Pomfrey and get healed. Your results will be announced later in the Great Hall."

Harry stood staring at the man's retreating back as he headed to the castle. He groaned as another spasm of pain shot through his arm and he gripped it tightly.

He managed to find his way to the front of the castle, where there were stretchers and portable beds scattered. Students took up nearly every one, and Harry spotted Ron sitting on the edge of one, a leg propped up on pillows. An elderly lady, who Harry could only assume was the Madame Pomfrey that Snape had mentioned, was bustling around the forty or so students, either waving her wand or giving them disgusting looking drink.

Harry hopped onto the bed beside Ron. "Hey," he said, and carefully moved his arm beside him.

"Hey yourself," Ron replied, wincing as he jostled his leg to look at Harry. He spotted Harry's torn sleeve and the burn that lay underneath it and hissed in a breath.

"How'd you get that?" he asked, motioning to it with his chin.

"Blast-Ended Skrewt," Harry said.

Ron pointed to his leg. "Tripped on a root."

Harry snickered, and Ron pouted.

"It was dark, give me a break!" he tried to explain, but Harry wouldn't let him hear the end of it. They sat giggling for a long while before they managed to bring themselves to stop. Slowly, the fear of passing or failing slipped from his mind. For now, he was happy. He was just having a normal conversation with his friend. There were no tests, no sorting, and definitely no Blast-Ended Skrewts.

"What did Professor Snape make you do?" Ron eventually asked.

"We had to fight creatures in a maze in the woods," he replied, shrugging like it was no big deal.

Ron's eyes nearly bugged out from his head. "What? Really? Sprout just had us locate different items while wading through the lake and "fight off" invisible air things that she conjured up. There were some real creatures, but it was mainly Flobberworm looking things, so they weren't that dangerous. Man, you certainly got the short-end of the stick."

Harry scoffed. "Tell me about it."

The red-headed boy looked around, making sure they weren't being watched. He leaned forward, closer to Harry's bed. "You want to hear something really messed up?" Ron asked, his voice low enough only to where Harry could hear it.

Harry, genuinely curious, raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"We have to do this every year."

Harry's eyes nearly bugged from his head. "What?!"

Ron nodded. "Yeah. I heard it from a kid in my group who has an older brother in Hogwarts. Apparently there's a test at the end of the year for second-years and up to take instead of their end of the year exams to see if they have memorized what they learned. I don't know if they get expelled or not like this one--they may just get held back--but I hear it gets harder and harder each year. They're doing it for the protection of the Wizarding world they say, so we will have people who are able to fight, but I just think the Ministry is a bunch of whack-jobs."

"The Ministry?"

"Oh, yeah. All of this is the Ministry's idea. You don't think Dumbledore would be insane enough to do this to students, do you? The Ministry is just fearful of another Dark Lord attack, so they're preparing us to fight just in case it does happen. You heard what Snape said before. There's still danger out there. Any one of them could turn into a Dark Lord, and that's what the Ministry is afraid of."

Harry whistled. "Wow. That really is messed up." And if I pass, then I'll have to do this over and over again. The thought made his head swim. But if he managed to pass this one, he was sure with training under his belt there would be no problem for the next ones.

"What about the students who are leaving?" he asked.

Ron shrugged. "The kid didn't say anything about them. But I think they have to take another one in order to graduate. Otherwise I think they just fail them and they have to re-do their final year. I think I may have heard Percy saying something about it to Mum. I just didn't understand what it was about then."

"What about us? What happens if we fail? We wasted all of our time with supplies and such, wouldn't it be a waste if we fail and have to throw them away?"

"I don't know. I think that we have to-"

Madame Pomfrey came around to Ron just then, who took a drink of what looked like discolored hot chocolate to Harry. It apparently tasted like it like it too, if Ron's grimace told him anything, but it did it's thing, because not twenty seconds later, Ron was up and leaning on his broken leg.

"It's fixed!" he shouted happily.

Madame Pomfrey gave a small smile at Ron's joy, then turned to Harry.

"Let me see what's wrong with you, dear," she said. Harry thought it was rather obvious by the tear on his sleeve and the blistering red on his arm, but he didn't say anything as she waved her wand and a list appeared before her.

"Oh, dear, oh dear. You have many injuries, Harry, did you know that? But most seem to be in the process of healing or are already healed, although a few will definitely need to be examined."

A thoughtful look passed her features, and she looked at Harry curiously. "How did you get these?" she asked.

Harry could feel his face turn white. "Um, I-uh...school bullies?" he replied, his answer sounding more like a question. There was absolutely no way he was going to divulge information about the Dursleys. Not here. Not in front of everyone.

She eyed him, no doubt hearing the lie for what it was. "In any case," she continued, brushing the subject away. Harry silently breathed a sigh of relief, but he knew the subject was far from being over. "Those will have to be looked at later if you pass. I'll definitely have to have a conversation with your Head of House. But it seems for now the main problem is with that nasty burn on your arm and that bump on your head."

"Blast-Ended Skrewts," Harry said. Madame Pomfrey nodded in understanding.

"Nasty things, they are. I have no idea why Severus even considered putting those in there. Fully grown, too! He knows the trouble they can cause," she muttered angrily.

She reached into her robe and brought out a jar. She spread the salve on his burn, and he flinched away from her touch, but instantly a wave of relief washed over him. His arm began to cool, and a pleasant tingling sensation took the place of the burning. Harry could feel himself relax, and he leaned back into the pillows.

"Oh, no dearie, don't relax just yet. I still need to do something about that nasty bump." She sat Harry up, and he followed her orders, albeit reluctantly. He felt too relaxed. Sleepy, almost. He had trouble staying up as she gently rubbed more cream over his head, and did something with her wand. The headache he didn't even know he had slowly went away along with the bump.

"Wow," he said, blinking. Madame Pomfrey gave a slight chuckle.

"Magic is a wonderful thing, isn't it?" she said.

"Oh, yeah." Harry gave a smile at her as she went on to the next student, but it fell as soon as she was out of sight.

It'll only be a great thing if I pass, he thought. But that was yet to be determined. His heartbeat slowly rose as he was faced with the realization that he could be back on the train within the next hour.

Someone ran into him, nearly knocking him down. "Oof! What the-"

"Harry!" Hermione shrieked, and Harry winced as his hearing went away for a few seconds.

"Hermione! What are you doing?" he asked, managing to get her off.

"Oh, you're okay!" she said, sounding relieved.

He brushed off his robes. "Yeah, now that Madame Pomfrey healed me. Where were you?"

She pointed to the entrance to the castle, where the rest of the first years were standing. "I've been waiting there for a good twenty minutes."

"Really?" he said, keeping up with her pace. "When did you get out of the maze?"

Hermione looked a bit sheepish as she answered. "Around five or so minutes before you. I realized you weren't behind me when I looked back, but it was too late and Professor Snape wouldn't let me go back and find you. So I had to go over there and wait. I'm so glad you made it," she said.

"I made it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I passed. I barely made it out of there before the time ran out. I'm probably going to fail," he said sadly.

Hermione looked at him, incredulous. "Don't talk like that, Harry! You did great! If it wasn't for you stopping that Blast-Ended Skrewt, I or Neville wouldn't have made it out!"

Harry didn't mention it was Neville and his stupid toad that got them in the trouble with the skrewts in the first place. And the Doxys. Harry shuddered at the memory, but he kept quiet. He didn't want to get in an argument right then. Besides, he had more important things to worry about.

The large oak doors slowly opened and the four teachers walked out again. The stern woman walked forward, an air of authority surrounding her making even the other teachers take a step back.

"Before you step through these doors and find your results, I would just like to congratulate all of you. You all did your very best to complete the tests as quickly and efficiently as possible, so for that I give you all points. But there were a few who did not meet our expectations. Those names will be called out shortly. But for now, I would like to go ahead and give my normal welcoming speech," she said.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. My name is Professor McGonagall. For those of you that pass, this will become your new home for the next seven years. For others, you will have your chance next year to try again."

The boy who asked Snape the question earlier gave a sigh of relief. Judging by his reaction, Harry suspected he didn't do very well. Harry was silently relieved as well.

"Hogwarts is made up of four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. During these years here, these houses will become your family. You will have classes with the rest of your houses, sleep in your dormitory and spend your leisure time there. You will gain and lose points for your house and by the end of the year a winner will be announced. That winner will have the pleasure of receiving the House Cup. I hope each of you becomes a credit for whichever house you may belong to."

The three teachers behind her straightened, and Harry suspected they were the Heads of Houses.

"Once we walk through these doors, all eyes will be on you. The students have seen your progress through your tests as well and have had a hand in determining your grade, since they have all suffered through these trials time and time again through the beginning and end of their years and know what to expect. Do not be disappointed with your result. I expect all of you to behave in a timely manner. I want no disruptions. These test are for your own good and for the safety of Hogwarts and the Wizarding World. If you have a problem with your results, I suggest keeping your opinions to yourself. We have a few minutes before we must enter and while final points are being tallied up, so I suggest you make yourselves as presentable as possible." She eyed their torn, wet, and dirtied robes with distaste, although Harry didn't know why. It wasn't their fault they got dirtied up. They made the students take the tests.

Harry quickly brushed the dirt off his robes and tried to cover up his tear as best as possible. His glasses were a lost cause. They were cracked beyond belief and it was a miracle he was able to walk without knocking into things.

The other three teachers stayed in their spots while McGonagall went back inside. The stood like guard dogs in front of the door. Harry thought it wouldn't be too hard to knock down the short one, and he snickered slightly at the image.

Snape's head snapped up, almost as if he heard something. "Come along, now," he called. "The results have been finalized."

McGonagall appeared at the door again, and Harry followed his group as they were lead in the Great Hall.

"Is everyone ready?" she asked at the doors to the Great Hall.

About as ready as I'll ever be, he thought. This was it. This was the moment that would make or break him. He took in a huge breath of air and stepped through the doors.

He had no time to awe and admire the grand Great Hall as whispers and murmurs reached his ears and his eyes were drawn to the front. Four large screens like what Snape had made were floating in the air above each table, flashing and replaying each student's movements during their tests. Harry felt a bit uneasy seeing the replays. He saw himself being lifted up by Doxys in one of the screens and winced. Of course the whole school had to see.

All eyes were on them. The entire student body and the teachers were watching their reactions. Harry saw some place coins in other's hands, losing bets and winning some. Harry ducked his head down when he saw some point in his direction. A few snickers reached his ears.

Dumbledore was standing at the very end of the aisle. The four Heads of Houses went to either side of him, flanking the Headmaster.

"Congratulations on getting this far," he said, his voice booming over the hall. The four screens blinked out of existence, and the murmuring of the student body quieted.

"Now is the time that you will either become a member of the Hogwarts family and help us achieve greatness for the future..." His spectacles flashed as he looked at all of them, and he paused for effect. "Or you will leave."

Harry gulped. He felt like his heart was about to beat out of his chest.

"This is a new era for you. Be excited! You could help shape the future for the wizarding world!" He smiled warmly at them, as if he wasn't talking about them getting kicked out of school before they got a chance to start.

"Each of you have shown wit, bravery, loyalty, and cunning during your performances. That has all been taken into consideration as your group leaders and the student body has decided your results. I wish you all the best of luck."

He clapped his hands, and McGonagall brought a three legged stool with an old hat sitting on it to the front. That must have been the hat Hermione was talking about on the train, Harry thought.

"The teachers will call you out by groups once again," he continued. "One by one, you will be told if you pass or fail. If you pass, you will continue on to be sorted. If you fail, take your things and head back to the train. Let us begin."

McGonagall went first. She unrolled her parchment, standing in front of the hat.

"Draco Malfoy!"

The skinny blonde boy Harry had met in Diagon Alley stepped forward. He looked unafraid as he went to stand before his teacher.

"Upon closer examination of your performance that I have created, both I and the student body has decided that you, Draco Malfoy..." she looked at him from over her glasses, awaiting a reaction.

"...have passed. Congratulations. Your actions of cunning and wit had deemed you worthy to pass through and become a part of Hogwarts. You may now step forward and be sorted."

A smirk tugged on his lips as his results were announced. He went and sat on the stool and the hat was barely placed on his head before it screamed out Slytherin.

Harry's heart was beating faster and faster. The Slytherin table cheered as their new member strutted forward and sat down.

It seemed Malfoy was the only person from his group to pass. Everyone else gave out incredulous shouts as their failing grade was announced. One by one, more and more names were called out from each group, maybe twenty passing. By the time it came to Snape's turn, Harry was shaking in his boots. More than half his class had failed. It was only him and twenty four more people to go. He squared his shoulders and looked forward. He wasn't going to back down, no matter the results. He'll just have to deal with whatever Snape decided.

"Dilland Smithe," he called, and the boy from Harry's group walked forward.

"Upon further examination of your performance of the test that I have created, both I and the student body have decided that you have failed," he said.

"What!?" Dilland shouted. "But I was the first one done! I got through your stupid maze the quickest!"

Snape's cold glare did nothing to stop the errant boy from yelling and causing a ruckus.

"You have shown cowardice and lack of skill during your performance. You refused to put any skill you have learned from your books into action, and as such you have avoided your problems and ran away. Just because you were the first one done out of your group means nothing. Gather your things from the corner and head back to the train. Better luck next year. Maybe then you will show more maturity as well," he sneered. His voice dripped venom.

Smithe's face turned a deep red from anger. He stomped his foot, trying to crush Snape's toes underneath his boot.

Snape's eyes flashed in warning and he leaned forward. Harry could see some of the older students look at the boy with awe. Some were giggling behind their hands at his stupidity.

"I would suggest, Mr. Smithe, that you remove your foot, or I will be forced to remove it for you," Snape growled.

Smithe seemed to take the warning into consideration, because he slowly removed his foot, but his face continued to have it's deep red color. Harry suspected it was more from embarrassment than anger now.

Smithe twirled on his heels and stomped down the Great Hall. He grabbed the cage that held the orange cat that hissed at Hedwig and his trunk. The large door slammed loudly behind him. Snape straightened. He cleared his throat, and the air went back to the way it was as if nothing happened.

Neville, surprisingly, passed, along with Hermione, which surprised Harry none. Both went to Gryffindor for their bravery. Only twenty-one people were left. Five of them failed. Harry was shaking in his sneakers.

"Harry Potter."

Much like he had when Harry escaped the maze, Snape was looking down his nose at him as Harry made his way forward. He looked over the man's shoulder instead of looking him in the eye. He just couldn't look into those eyes. He knew what he would see, and his chest clenched.

No, don't think like that...You'll be okay...You'll be fine...Just wait...

"Upon closer evaluation of your performance of the test that I have created, I, along with the rest of the student body, have decided that you, Harry Potter, have..."

Harry gulped. It suddenly became harder and harder to breathe. His vision began to swim, and he barely heard when Snape announced his results.

"...passed my test. Congratulations, Mr. Potter."

Harry's eyes widened. He stared at Snape, incredulous. What? He passed? He could stay? Giddiness began to replace fear, and near hysterical laughter began to bubble up, but he quickly clamped it down.

"You have shown courage, wit, loyalty and perseverance during your test. Despite a few...hiccups...along the way, your actions of saving your fellow classmates and helping them in a time of need has granted you access and deemed you worthy--in the eyes of your older classmates--of becoming a student of Hogwarts and a hope for the future of Wizardkind. Congratulations. You may continue on to be sorted," he said. And was it Harry's imagination, or did Snape give a small half-smile as he nodded towards the stool? No, it couldn't be. He was seeing things.

His legs shook as he walked to the stool. He felt light-headed. He plopped down on the stool, nearly falling, as exhaustion washed over him and the nerves left.

The hat was placed on his head. A deep voice played in his ear, telling him of his accomplishments and those to come. He told him of his traits and where he should belong, and the place his family would bloom.

As the hat shouted out the name of his house, and as the students clapped and cheered as he made his way forward, he couldn't help but look behind him once more to Snape.

No, it wasn't his imagination. The half-smile was plain and clear as day. Harry sat down at his table, and finally, for once in his life, he felt like he belonged. No matter what happened next year, or the year after that, he knew with certainty that his journey was just beginning, and there were certainly more things in store, for the better or for the worst. And surprisingly, he was okay with that, even if the methods were messed up.

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
I purposefully left the name of Harry’s house out. I wanted the readers to decide where they think he belonged after what you read when he was doing the test. How did you like the story? Did you think I executed the challenge well? Leave a comment and let me know! =)

Also, those confused for the reason why Neville got into Gryffindor for his bravery even though he was just chasing after his toad, the hat said that Neville was unafraid to face danger for the one he cared about (Trevor)