Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Bam! bet you didn't expect this. Well I'm not sure theres anyone even left following this story but if there is I sincerely apologise for taking FOREVER to update. Since you probably haven't thought about this story for awhile I'll provide a little recap, if you want to skip this go right ahead:
Snape killed Thompson and they successfully got the stone, in the rush however Snape was forced to apparate them to a random location and they ended up somewhere in the Shetland Islands. They walked until they found a town and stayed there for the night nursing a few injuries and still looking to get back to Hogwarts. On the walk back Snape also made a reluctant offer to let Harry stay with him seeing as the Dursleys were so unfit and Harry readily accepted.
Well thats me done I'll let you get reading now, next update should actually be in a practical time frame.
My Icy Heart! It's Melting!
It took a few seconds of staring at the wooden ceiling boards before he had any idea where he was. The sunlight was a welcome sight after so long in a dark cave, so too were his memories when he realised that they’d safely got the stone and… Snape’s offer. He played the moment again and again, not quite believing it real. He turned his head and saw no sign of the man, the room was empty. Only the dust particles visible in rays of light were company.

His stomach grumbled loudly and he briefly wondered how long it had been since he had food, 6 hours? 8 hours? more? when he went to move an agonising burning sensation shot through his shoulder and he instantly tensed, making it worse. His leg too, was now throbbing uncomfortably and he was a little scared to put pressure on it. He really hadn’t noticed how much those pain potions had masked until now. He never could’ve made the walk here without them. His stomach twisted painfully and made more noise reminding him of his absolute need for food.

Throwing back the covers, he was willing to brave the pain of his shoulder, leg and every other sore part of his body, in the pursuit of food. Just as he braced himself he noticed something he didn’t see in his initial scan of the room. A hot steaming bowl of porridge. How he didn’t notice it before was a wonder when the smell alone was now making him salivate.

It sat on what might be described as a desk; if it’d been sawed in half and stained 17 times with spilt drinks. Harry had only eyes for the porridge and he stumbled in a sleepy pained walk towards it.

The first spoonful in his mouth was bliss; on another day he might’ve described it as tasteless gruel but today it may as well have been the Halloween feast meticulously prepared by the house elves every year. The bowl was gone in record time and he instantly longed for more, the logical part of him supposed that it was probably a good thing there wasn’t more as he would’ve almost definitely made himself sick.

Sitting back done he couldn’t decide on a course of action. His options were either, wait for Snape, try and find Snape, or explore a bit. The pain his shoulder was acting as a strong deterrent but he was fully aware of boredom that was creeping up on him. Just as he’d made the decision to leave the creaky door swung open.

“Hello professor.”

Snape was still dressed in his dark and practical robes. Although they looked like they’d had a cleaning spell or two applied, instantly making Harry jealous.

“Hello Potter.”

Harry frowned unhappily,

“Fine. Hello Harry.” Snape still said it foreign, like it wasn’t even a name at all, but it was enough.

“Are we leaving today?”

“Yes, if you’ve had breakfast, we will be going now.”

Harry shuffled and threw the blanket fully off himself in an effort to look a bit more prepared.

“Now? are we going by magic or muggle?”

“I believe muggle methods still pose a significant risk. You and I are still very recognisable figures who any wizard might see, I could apply some appearance charms but they would be hard to maintain for long periods of time and distances. ”

Harry bet that on a normal day that wouldn’t be such a problem but in his weakened state Snape was having more trouble than he liked to admit.

“How are we going then?”

“ By apparition, although not all in one go. We shall do a series of jumps.”

“Are you really strong enough for that Sir?”

Snape grit his teeth and narrowed his gaze, “Yes, I am. It is paramount we make it back to the safety of Hogwarts and deliver the stone to the headmaster. We are in constant danger every minute we do not.”

“We’re always in constant danger….”

“So we are.”

Snape walked away and Harry took it as a sign he was meant to follow. Leaving their small space (although Harry still reckoned it beat the hell out of his bedroom at the Dursley’s) they walked down the stair case, causing a fair bit of pain for Harry.

The man who had given them the keys last night smiled and waved. Snape quickly told him that they were leaving and gave him no information beyond that. If it ruffled the man, he didn’t show it.

The pathway that had been only been illuminated by street windows the night before was now in full view and Harry marvelled at the amount of chips and cracks in it. It was a wonder he hadn’t fallen and broken his ankle last night. Especially with his already screwed up leg.

Snape led him to a small side street that was invisible from most eyes. He made eye contact with Harry,

“Are you ready? this will be unpleasant for both of us. Disapparation is very jarring on injuries,” He gave a pointed look at Harry’s shoulder and leg reminding him that he had not forgotten, “and it will take alot of energy out of me.”

“I’m ready.”

Snape nodded approvingly, grabbed Harry’s arm and a look of intense concentration replaced his expression. Harry gave in to the vortex feeling, hoping if he didn’t fight it, it would be gentler.

It wasn’t.

When he next opened his eyes, his vision was still spinning so much he couldn’t see anything at all. He might’ve fallen over if not for the vice grip on his arm.

He blinked in an effort to clear the blurriness and finally made out the shape of cars, building, highways and more. They were in a city much bigger than their previous town. He looked at Snape – who was looking pained – for conformation.

“Belfast”

Harry nodded, not wanting to make the man talk when it clearly cost much needed effort.

Snape’s grip on his arm had never wavered in strength and all too soon he began feeling a familiar feeling coming from it. This time felt messier than the last, where before had felt like straight from A to B, this had been a zig zag through A C D E and then B.

He waited to open his eyes, thinking it might help. What he did see after a few seconds, was a paddock. They were standing in the middle of a farmers paddock with sheep grazing all around them, not the least bit startled that two humans had just appeared out of nowhere.

Snape was now visibly shaking and Harry could feel it through his arm. His shoulder too now began its incessant throbbing and he leg felt like the grass being gnawed on by sheep.

Snape didn’t bother to say anything this time, focusing instead upon regaining his breath. Once he had done so after a few minutes, he stood a little straighter and closed his eyes.

This time was akin to being shaken up and down inside a snow globe. Everything was hurting and the feeling of naseua only increased. Instead of focussing on what he saw this time around, Harry pulled away from Snape and vommited. He coughed and spluttered, hard pressed to continue standing on his messed up leg. Whether Snape had noticed or not Harry was not sure. The man stared vacantly and only now did Harry begin to realise their surroundings were that of familiar London. They had landed in a small side street where there were few people moving too purposefully to notice anything strange.

This time they waited longer, both needing it. Only when Snape wiped away a fine layer of sweat and let out a large exhale, did he try again.

This one was thankfully short, throwing them both abruptly to the ground before the sensation fully took over. Harry’s injuries were screaming and he did his best not too let out a noise of pain. They only thing that had remained a constant this whole time was the fingers firmly pressed into his arm.

When he raised his head Harry made a choked laugh of relief. The gates of Hogwarts were standing proud in the cloudy weather.


Snape withdrew his wand with some difficulty and muttered some sort of password that made the air around the gate shimmer. Both Harry and Snape began making the long trek up to the hospital wing were they could have Poppy give them a pepper up or a rejuvenation potion and safely contact Dumbledore.

Although being in Hogwarts had always been an awe inspiring sight and usually filled him with happiness, Harry was beginning to hate just how large the castle was. When a staircase moved the wrong way he cursed continuously under his breath, hallways seemed to stretch and morph, not matching the images of his memories. Why they had ever decided to put the hospital wing high up was a mystery to Harry.

They eventually reached the large doors of the infirmary and Snape swept them open with no preamble. He shot Harry a wary look,

“Go sit on a bed, I will go call Pomfrey.”

Harry blearily nodded and found a bed that was slightly more out of the way from the long light beams streaming from the windows.

Snape went to the back of the infirmary and possibly used the floo network or sent a patronus, Harry had lost interest and couldn’t tell.

His eyes closed rather of their own accord although he stopped himself from really sleeping, settling for a light doze were he could still listen to everything around him.

He heard the fireplace flare up and the authoritative tones of Madam Pomfrey coming out in a long continues jumble.

“Severus! We have heard nothing from you, nothing! what happened? are you okay? is Harry okay?”

Snape replied evenly, with no bite. It seemed he’d rather get rest than participate in a sparring match with Pomfrey.

“Yes, yes. We are both alright and we acquired what we needed. However we are very tired and I would prefer not having to explain myself twice so I believe you will have to wait until the headmaster arrives before you receive the full tale.”

Harry couldn’t see her response but he imagined it was some sort of annoyed huff and resigned acceptance.

Their footsteps came closer to his bed and although he planned to get up when Pomfrey arrived, he couldn’t really find it in himself to move or open his eyes. Also not having to talk seemed a major bonus right now.

“I’m doing a diagnostic on you both, just from the look of you two you’ll be staying here a few days.”

There was an annoyed harrumph but no further objection.

Harry felt a very slight tingle run through his body, it was not unwelcome, but unexpected.

Pomfrey talked quietly, probably for his sake.

“More than a few days for this one. My how this boy ends up here even during the holidays baffles me. Extreme blunt force… what on earth happened to his shoulder? or his leg for that matter? this is on top of already previously sustained injuries!?” by the end her voice was louder and Harry heard silence as he imagined she tried to recompose herself.

“Severus you are a very competent wizard and were in-trusted with a minor’s care by Dumbledore. If I find out for any reason that you did not, to the best of your ability, ensure you and the boy were kept unharmed, their will be consequences to pay.”

Harry felt a little touched by the care Madam Pomfrey was showing, he knew the women was often brittle and harsh but deep down she cared for everyone of her patients, however he had thought he may have worn out his welcome a long time ago.

He was intrigued to hear Snape’s response. Of course the claims were completely unfounded – Snape really had done everything he could.

“Madam Pomfrey, I fully understand my responsibilities and the risks that were posed with this task and….. I apologise. For I don’t think I was quite enough…. there were times were I nearly failed completely and I take full blame for that. In my current state, however I am not up to the task of attempting to justify, explain or continue apologising so I do request we have this conversation at a later date. ”

Pomfrey replied with a mumbled “Of course.”

More tingling sensations went through Harry and a warming numbness spread across his shoulder leg and the small cuts littered across his body. He let out a deep breath of relief. It was as if all the pain and tension had been drained from him and the only thing left was a deep ache for rest that was becoming harder and harder to fight.

Still he clung on to consciousness, desperate to continue being aware of his surroundings.

Footsteps retreated back to the floo and Pomfrey and Snape talked in low tones. He heard the familiar sound of the fireplace flaring up and another set of footsteps joining those already there. Harry could guess who it was even before he heard the quiet, powerful tones of Dumbledore.

He could only catch snatches of the conversation,

“Tell…..everything”

“ Yes, and … it didn’t …. saw others…..”

“ Not …. great shape……. heal….. days.”

Eventually, the annoying need to sleep was too strong and soon he was no longer faking being unconscious.

***

The moment Dumbledore had appeared out of the floo, Severus had let go of much of the tension he’d been holding. Dumbledore was perhaps the one person he was willing to give up his ever present paranoia for. He was certain the older wizard could protect them from almost anything and he no longer needed to be so vigilant, nothing was required of him. Except of course to explain everything that had just occurred.

The first thing he did was unpocket the dark grey and ocean blue stone, handing it to Dumbledore. The wizard took it uncertainly but happily.

“Are you sure it’s the real thing?”

“Yes.”

“Certain?” Dumbledore’s one bushy eyebrow was raised questioningly

“Yes.”

The old man’s fingers curled around its surface and he placed in an inner pocket of his black and gold robe.

“You did very well Severus; getting the stone, yourself and young Harry all out and remaining undiscovered. You ought to be congratulated!”

He put a hand on Severus’s shoulder who looked at it apathetically.

“Albus I would not say this was a complete victory. We ran into others down in the caverns and Potter was injured in the process. Yes we managed to obtain the stone but at a rather large cost and risk.”

Dumbledore’s face stayed somewhere between serious and happy, “Tell me everything.”

So he explained in an extremely summarised version, the objective events that took place in the tunnels. Leaving out the parts preluding them and the new information he’d learned about Potter.

At the end Dumbledore did not respond to him but to Pomfrey,

“Physically, I trust that now they are under your brilliant care, they are both okay?”

“ I have yet to check Severus, although it is the very next thing I’ll be doing. Harry was not in great shape but he’ll be okay. He will need to stay up here for about a week and half to heal and recuperate his energy but there is no long term, or permanent, effects.”

“Well I shall leave you to check over our potions master. I won’t be far, I do plan to come back very soon to hear a more in depth tale of Severus’s story and check how you both are going. Farewell.”

Dumbledore stepped back into the fire and it flashed green before returning back to its normal red and orange. Pomfrey immediately turned her attention to him. Running a thorough diagnostic spell that was so strong he even felt a small tingle indicating it’s presence.

She tsk’d and tuttered, complaining about the injuries he’d sustained and about exhausting himself by stretching his abilities too far. Particularly in side along apparition. It was a good half an hour later before she finally allowed him some space. She made him take a few potions that he himself had brewed and in a rather juvenile moment, he had almost considered complaining that Potter hadn’t had to take any potions. Of course he reasoned in his head, Pomfrey would make the boy simply take them when he was awake.

He was left with the order of getting some deep sleep and not waking up too early. He was all to happy to comply but he kept the thought internal.

One last look at Pomfrey, the deeply sleeping Potter, and his surroundings to remind him that everything was well and he allowed his body to fall onto the mattress. In normal circumstance he hated anyone else seeing him sleeping. It was all too vulnerable, but for now he was willing to put that aside.

***

Harry woke up slowly, allowing himself to continue sleeping until he felt fully ready to embrace the day. When that moment arrived he sat up and pushed a fist into his groggy eyes. A quick glance confirmed that he was alone. None of the beds, besides his were occupied, – which made sense given it was still the holidays – though even Madam Pomfrey was gone.

Not knowing where anybody was and when of if they were coming back was a thought he found a little disconcerting.

Deciding that; whatever happened, at least he’d want to appear ready, he picked up his grey cloak he’d lazily dropped the night before and straightened out his pants and top. He considered performing a few cleaning and uncreasing charms but he wasn’t so sure he was allowed to do magic.

As he stood up further he stretched himself fully out and felt the now familiar pain in his shoulder and leg. The rest had thankfully disappeared and even that of leg and shoulder was still distant, not nearly as debilitating as they had been before. It would still be a little longer before he was ready to go ride a broom or some other extreme activity but he was on the mend.

Sitting back on the bed he was just about to call for Dobby when one of the giant doors of the infirmary swung open and revealed a short portly man with a bowler hat. Harry’s eyes narrowed and he was instantly on guard. Fudge.

What on earth was he doing here? from the glance he had at Snape’s paper all that time ago, Fudge had been busy calling him and Dumbledore a liar for the events at the world cup.

The man made eye contact and gave a weak smile that was completely see through. He walked towards the bed and Harry fought the intense urge to pull his wand out.

“Ah Harry! I was hoping I would be able to find you here.” why that was he didn’t say.

“Nice to see you Minister.” He had a very short tolerance at the minute and he almost dared Fudge to push it.

“The pleasures all mine my boy. Now I think its right time you and I had a proper discussion eh? Just us two, one and one.”

“About what?”

“Oh you know, this and that. I really think now is the time for truth above all else, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Whole heartedly.” He tried not to make it to sarcastic.

“Glad to see we’re on the same page! Now why don’t we take a walk hmm?”

Harry glanced towards the door hoping anyone of either Pomfrey, Dumbledore or Snape would walk in and deal with Fudge.

“I’d rather stay here professor, if you don’t mind.”

“Actually….I rather do. Its a beautiful day out there and surely a boy of you age wouldn’t want to miss it? I never get any fresh air down in my officers, it really would be a treat for both of us.”

Harry was quiet as he tried to figure out what to say in defence.

“Great! shall we go then?”

It was with great regret that Harry stood up and followed the curiously alone Minister. He figured as long as he stayed on Hogwarts grounds he’d be safe. Fudge certainly wouldn’t attempt anything to sinister here.

When they had left the infirmary Fudge made his first inquiry,

“So Harry… what exactly has you here, – in the hospital wing of all places – during the holidays?”


Well that was a difficult one to answer, “ahhh. Ummmm, I’m not sure its exactly my place to say minister”

“Why of course it is Harry! It’s your life, don’t let Dumbledore get into that smart head of yours.”

“Well all the same sir, I think you’d better ask him if you truly want the full story.”

“Alright alright, I suppose I shall see soon eh?”

Harry had no idea about that but he was happy to deflect this to Dumbledore. They continued walking down the stairs and Harry noticed almost all of the paintings were asleep, since it was still light out he assumed it must be some time after dawn.

“Look. Harry, perhaps I should be a little more direct.”

“I think that would be a relief to us both sir,”

Fudge frowned at the disrespect but continued on.

“Well I understand you’ve come from a rather difficult life - with the unfortunate deaths of Lily and James and all - and perhaps you want to draw attention to yourself, but these…. tales.. you and Dumbledore have been spinning… they need to stop.”

Harry was absolutely taken aback, then rage started pouring in.

“Excuse me? What I said was the truth, Voldemort is back! and Cedric was killed by one of his servants; Wormtail!”

Fudge let out a long sigh, “He who must not be named was killed along time ago. You of all people should understand that. There is no point stirring up rumours to make your friends all worried is that clear? why have them live in fear of something that doesn’t exist?”

“But–” Harry couldn’t even find the right words to express his anger. “It does exist! There is a real threat out there minister! Just because you don’t believe so doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.”

“Harry” Fudge used his most deep grown-up voice to scold him. “Your story doesn’t work on me. I see right through what you and Dumbledore are doing, and I hope that in future you will make the better choice and tell the truth.”

“I already am.”

Fudge’s face grew red but after a few more moments of walking out into the courtyard it went back to its normal colour and he simply shook his head.

Harry could now clearly see that the sun had only just risen, its reflection on the black lake was making it a vivid red, as if the lake was on fire. It reminded him briefly of the caves when they had got the stone.

He nearly jumped when two people apparated beside Fudge. They were instantly recognisable as ministry employees with offical looking robes including embroidered crests.

Fudge acknowledged one by tipping his hat and asked quietly “Is it done?”

The man nodded once sternly and Fudge noticeably brightened. Harry took it as an opportunity to ask something that bothered him.

“Minster, how is it that you’re… employees are able to appparate here inside Hogwarts?”

Fudge grew happier as if it were a compliment. “Ah well for the ministry to carry out important tasks, it is sometimes necessary to access places other wizards can’t in a… timely manner. ”

It didn’t really answer his question but he figured that Fudge wasn’t actually about to tell him properly anyway. Relived that his awkward and angry encounter with the minster for magic was finished, he turned back towards the hospital wing already imagining the angry outburst if Madam Pomfrey found him out of bed. He had to admit, she had a point, he could already feel some familiar aches.

He had taken two step when Fudge put a hand firmly on his shoulder,

“Ah Harry, the least we could do is save you some trouble and drop you back home.”

His blood turned to ice in his veins.

“Sir..?”

“Number 4 Privet Drive, little whinging I believe.”

He didn’t even know when he had begun panting or his hand had started trembling.

“No, I.. uh….”

“Nonsense! it’s no trouble, we’ll have you there in no time.”

Harry had taken a few steps backwards and was about to start running when the sickening feeling of being pulled, stretched and expanded back again overtook him.

Being already nauseous, the disapparation pushed him over the edge and he collapsed vomitting onto the now pavement.

He was dimly aware of Fudge speaking, “First-time disapparation I see, well.. almost everyone ends up sicking up breakfast the first few times. Although I can’t recall doing so myself…”

He was fully trembling now, his arms shaking so much they could barely support him. When he had finished, he looked up to a sight he had hoped he’d never see again. Its small garden and lawn was now overgrown and the paint on the house had been slightly chipped.

He turned to Fudge in a last bid for freedom, “Minister. There’s been a mistake! I..I am supposed to be at Hogwarts, not…Here.”

Fudge actually had listened and for a fleeting moment, Harry had thought he’d take him back to Hogwarts and Harry could pretend this never happened.

Instead he gave a smile normally reserved for photographs in the Daily Prophet.

“Harry, Harry, Harry. Family is where you should be, not locked up in school over the holidays!” he turned back to serious, “ I would like you think on our talk though hm?”

Harry really didn’t care about Fudge’s talk in that moment. He was far too busy trying to discern a way back to Hogwarts.

Fudge and the two ministry officials walked right up to the front of door of number four and knocked, making Harry wince.

It was Petunia who answered the door and her eyes widened dramatically as she took in the three, very clear wizards and the bowed head of Harry.

“Nice to meet you Mrs Dursley, my name is Cornelius Fudge . I’m just dropping Harry off for the summer.”

He held out his hand to shake but she made no move to take it.

“VERNON! you’d better come here.”

As she waited she seem to realise that she needed to answer Fudge,

“Ah well, thank you for um that. ”

Vernon turned up in the door way and blocked half the entrance. He too took in the robes hats and wands and Harry more than ever, wished he was back in the hospital wing.

Fudge, now finding this awkward, gave a polite wave and said “Goodbye, enjoy your summer. Farewell to you as well Harry, remember our chat won’t you?”

Harry nodded dumbly, he really wish Fudge hadn’t included him in that last part. Now all attention was on him. Fudge and his minions walked back out onto the pavement and disapparated out of existence.

Leaving Harry alone with an absolutely fuming Uncle and a sour faced, cold aunt.