Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Final chapter all, thanks for coming along the journey!

Chapter 18: Dungeon Bat or Father

Friday Evening - Great Hall


The Great Hall was oddly quiet for a Friday. Everyone seemed to be ravenous with hunger, all except Harry Potter. Harry sat on the other end of the Gryffindor table, sitting with a group of 3rd years. Over the past couple of days, Harry had tried to avoid Ron and Hermione as much as possible; lest they have another argument. The boy who lived had pulled aside his friends only 10 hours ago, telling them what his plan was. He had made it quite clear that they were to stay away from him, as he wanted to spend the next couple of days composing a plan, nee a script of what he would say to his father.


A Gryffindor student that was sitting opposite Harry, was giving him an exasperated look.


"Are you going to eat that, or just keep pushing it around on your plate?" The haughty third year asked.


Narrowing his eyes, Harry put one last spoonful of food into his mouth. Before abruptly standing up, and making a quick exit out of the Great Hall.


Headmaster Dumbledore along with a few other professors looked at Harry as he exited. However, none of which seemed particularly phased by his sudden departure. Most of them put his leaving down to being extremely tired. All professors too looked a bit more worn out than usual. Harry's leave only truly peaked the interest of none other than the Head of Slytherin house. Raising his eyebrow he looked at the exit to the great hall, then back to Dumbledore. He scoffed when he saw that Dumbledore was looking directly at him, whilst raising his glass in a salute. Turning his head away, the professor went back to his meal.


Professor Snape had taken quite a long time to finish dinner, most of the students had left the hall; with only a few remaining. Only he and professor Mcgonnagal were left on the teachers table. Swallowing back the last of his wine, Severus Snape licked his lips, keen to take a slice of delicious blueberry cheesecake. Oh how he had been waiting for this dessert all week. To say his week was stressful, was an understatement. Cutting off a piece, the professor was 3 bites in when he felt a buzzing in his pocket.


The Professor took out a gold coin, which was currently vibrating and glowing bright yellow. Scowling the professor stood up abruptly and proceeded to stalk out of the great hall; through the back teachers passage. He was going to murder the student that had decided to break into his office and ruin his meal. No, murder would be too good....the professor thought.


The Dungeons - Severus Snape's Office


Harry had wondered around the dungeon hallways for quite some time, mentally preparing himself for the deep conversation he needed to have with the profes.... his father this evening. He has just come back from the headmasters office, letting him in on his plan; and what part professor Dumbledore would need to play.


He turned the corner and found himself standing in front of the potion masters office. He signed, knowing that he would need to put on a show this evening.. in order to convince the professor to come to the headmasters office. Knocking on the door, Harry was sure that the professor would have retired to his office early; like he normally would.


Knock, knock "hello?" Harry called out in the hallway. Sighing, Harry came to the realisation that the professor must be at dinner still. Deciding it was a risk willing to take, Harry took a deep break and took out his wand.


"Alohamora" Harry muttered, the door to his fathers office opened. He did not however walk in, instead waited for the professor to catch him 'breaking in' to his office. Harry looked at his watch, noting that his evening of acting would now commence.


Angry footsteps could be heard moving closer and closer to Harry, which belonged to non other than the irate Head of Slytherin House.


"Stupid... Stupid" Harry muttered loud enough for Snape to hear; whilst banging his head on the door.


No more than 5 seconds later, Professor Snape come to an abrupt holt; his robes billowing around his body.


Trying to muster his most intimidating voice, the professor spoke menacingly.


"Stupid, you wouldn't be calling me that now would you Potter?"


At hearing this, Harry shivered, thinking back to all the times Snape had caught him whilst breaking the rules.


Over exaggerating his movements, Harry turned very slowly on the spot; gulping once he had faced professor Snape.


"Of course not sir! Sorry, I was just frustrated is all" Harry finished, trying to sound mildly pathetic like Neville would when caught out by the Professor for his ruined potions.


The professor stood up very straight whilst starting to speak in a deadly low voice.


"I do not have the time tonight to deal with your horrendous behaviour, nor do I have time to listen to you wine about your detention this week.." He was interrupted by Harry half way through his sentence.


"I'm not here to complain about my detention sir" Harry said in the most depressed voice he could muster. Towards the end of his sentence, just for good measure he decided to sound like he was about to start tearing up.


"It's fine professor, I'll just leave you be" Harry said in a low and sad tone, turning on his heels ready to walk away.


The professor had quickly put away his anger after watching the boy in front of him. He sounded very dejected and positively depressed. A feeling rose within his heart, which he quickly pushed back. Pinching the bridge of his nose, the professor held out a hand placing it on the boys shoulder to stop him from walking further away.


"Wait Potter... you clearly came down because you had something to say. Although I would like to remind you that my Q&A hours have not changed, you didn't come to ask about your potions work did you?" The professor questioned.


"It's not about class professor" Harry continued talking in a mopey voice.


Sighing, Severus turned around opening the door to his office, motioning for Harry to sit in the chair opposite to his own.


"I do not have all night Mr Potter, so you better make this quick" The professor said, in his usual dour tone.


The room was quite for 40 seconds. The professor waited for harry to speak, growing impatient the professor was about to verbally reprimand the boy to open his mouth. However, what Harry would say next, truly had the professor thinking that Merlin himself has risen from the dead.


"I need you to start teaching me occlumency again" Harry said looking anywhere but at his professor.


Severus had sunk back into his chair, gripping the sides with such force. To say that Severus was shocked would be an understatement. This was quite honestly the last thing he expected the boy to ask him. Harry Potters words replayed, over and over again in his head. 'Merlin, Potter must really be in deep shit for him to ask this of me!' The professor thought.


Coming back to the land of the living, Severus cleared his throat before speaking.


"Have you been having dreams again Potter? Has the Dark Lord been able to invade your mind again" He looked at Harry's face, trying to read the boy without using legilimency.


Harry was internally celebrating, the professor had truly fallen for this. Mustering as much angst as possible Harry answered his father.


"No Voldemort hasn't been...(wait, I should make dad extra worried!) I mean yes, YES he has! It's been awful. I know you hate me professor. And I know I was a very bad occlumency student..... and that I looked into the penseive" Harry had started to ramble, standing up and pacing up and down the room.


Finally with a dramatic fall into the chair he previously occupied, Harry bent over pretending to cry, whilst all but yelling out.


"PLEASE HELP ME!, he back in my mind and it hurts so badly; please help me" Continuing to sob, Harry started pulling his hair for good measure.


By this point, the professor was truly shocked, his eyes wide as he peered at the boy sobbing openly. Not knowing what the do, the professor stood and came to sit on his desk in front of Harry. Retrieving a handkerchief from his robe pockets, he held it out to Harry as a form of consolation.


"I do not hate you Potter. Although surprisingly I do agree with you.. that you were a very bad occlumency student" The professor said, trying to lighten the boys mood by making a joke. Harry internally beamed seeing how the professor was trying to console him in his own way.


The professor continued to talk, this time in a more serious tone.


"Judging from your behaviour, this situation has escalated quite quickly, and should be dealt with immediately. Clearly my methods last year did not work, therefore, the best course of action would be to discuss this with the headmaster. You clearly need urgent help, and I am afraid the headmaster will be more suitable to help with this situation."


The professor stood up, and walked towards the fire place, holding out a box of floo powder. Motioning for Harry to get up and floo to the Headmasters Office.


Harry on the other hand, whilst walking over was skeptical and worried whether Snape would merely send him on his way. In order for this to work, the professor needed to come with him.


Harry grabbed the floo powder, and grabbed a hold of the professor arm, whilst shaking it back and forth.


"You have to promise you will come with me professor, promise!" Harry said in his most scared and pushy voice.


"Yes, alright just get into the fireplace NOW!." Severus felt as if his head would grow to the size of the giant squid. Potter had finally succumbed to madness.


Harry was gone within seconds, with Professor Snape quickly following suite.


________________________________________________________________________


Headmasters Office


Both teacher and student were both flung out of the fireplace in the headmasters office. Severus caught himself, however Harry could be found sprawled onto Albus Dumbledores rug.


"Headmaster....Albus, come quick it's urgent! Potter has officially succumbed to madness; the dark lord...he's...." Severus was cut off by professor Dumbledore holding up his hand, signalling for the potions master to be silent.


Dumbledore looked at Harry who had now straightened himself up. And had found his usual place on the couch. Nodding his head, the headmaster merely turned back to Severus and smiled.


"Ah Harry, how good of you to come. Having a good night I hope mhmm? Would you like tea and biscuits?" The professor asked.


Severus at hearing this, walked up to the headmaster and spoke in a voice that sounded somewhere between surprise and anger.


"Tea? And biscuits?! Look at him, he needs help..not a SNACK!" Severus all but demanded.


However, as the potions master looked to Harry, he became instantly triggered. 'The little shit' Severus thought. Looking at Harry, as he was, now sitting calmly in a chair pouring himself a cup of tea. He felt as if he had imagined what had transpired in his office. He was brought out of his musings as Professor Dumbledore spoke.


"I have left the penseive out for you Harry, as well as the vial we discussed. Would you like me to be present, or would you like to have the room to yourselves?....."


"Headmaster, I do not know what you are blabbing about. Potter, he's been having visions of the dark lord, and needs to resume his occlumency lessons immediately. Obviously after what transpired last year, you would be the most suitable person." Severus was quickly interrupted by Harry.


"Eh Professor Snape? Can you please sit down over here?...um, you can stay if you want headmaster; I would actually like the support. You know, just incase he decides to jump off the balcony" Harry stated, playing off his nervousness with a mild laugh; when the potions master began to look furious.


"Mr Potter, I have just about had it with you tonight. Firstly, you act as if your mind is about to explode from the dark lords invasion of it. And now, you sit here, calm as ever; as if there was nothing wrong in the first place" the professor was now standing very close to where Harry sat.


"Ah, I can explain... promise. But first, can you please sit down" Harry said, patting the couch next to him. The potions professor hesitated for a few seconds, sighed then decided to do as he was told.


'You better have a good explanation Potter' Severus said whilst shaking his finger in front of Harrys face; making the boy go cross eyed.


Dumbledore had now retreated to his desk, and was going through a couple of letters he had received that very evening. He looked at Severus and gave the man an encouraging smile.


Severus, seeing this merely turned back to Harry, waiting for the boy to speak. He waiting for 30 seconds, before the boy stood abruptly and walked to Dumbledores desk. Retrieving a box and a letter, Harry returned to his old spot; facing the potions master.


Sighing, Harry shifted in his seat, tilting his head up to look at his father. After clearing his throat he began to speak.


"Um, ok, I had this all planned out, word for word; how I wanted this conversation to go. But, I want to speak from the heart. So, I'm not sure if you have guessed but I was faking an attack from Voldem..."


"Yes, well that's clear as day isn't it!" Severus voiced menacingly.


"I don't want to be rude professor, but this is only going to work if you don't interrupt me... I've sort of got a lot to go through." Not waiting for a response from the professor, Harry resumed.


"Right so where was I, oh yeh... so...I'm fine, Voldemort isn't trying to get into my mind. I needed to speak to you in a space where I knew no one would be listening in. Well except Professor Dumbledore, he already knows so I don't really mind. Ok so here it goes, a short time ago, I received a letter from my mother."


At hearing this Severus straightened up in his seat, wondering why on earth the boy was talking to him about Lily, did Dumbledore finally let loose to Potter that him and his mother had been childhood friends?


"Now, mum made it extremely clear that James Potter was not my biological father"


"WHAT?!" Severus shrieked. Severus' mind was reeling, this was the most stupid thing he had ever thought. There was no way that Lily would cheat on her husband.. would she?


Why was the boy telling him this, did he need me to brew a parentis potion? No... that would be no good without the actual blood of the biological father.


Harry Potter looked at his father, feigning that he did not hear him speak; and continued on with his story.


"She told me who my dad was, and that he was receiving the same letter that very night. Over the past couple of months I have had a relationship with him. Originally, I'll admit that I wasn't very happy knowing I was related to him. But over the past couple of months, I couldn't imagine anyone else being my father. We ran into a couple of bumps along the way, but everything seemed to sort it self out in the end." Harry said the last sentence with a sigh. Slowly looking at his father he continued.


"Unfortunately a week ago, I suffered a traumatic blow to the head which rendered me to have short term memory loss; and not being able to remember anything that had happened over the past couple of months. I was given the Oernelim potion which brought my memories back, however in order for it to work; my condition got passed onto my father...dad." Harry passed the letter to Severus, who now had his mouth wide open in shock.


"I... this is all very well, if a little tragic Potter. However, I don't know what you expect from me. Oernelim potion, it sounds very obscure. It sounds dark, I do not think your.. father.. would be able to regain his memories. I am sorry, I cannot help you." Severus finished, not knowing what else to say. He did feel some slight compassion for the boy. It must not have been easy to have this sprung on him at the last minute.


"Oh that's fine, I didn't really expect you to be able to brew an antidote."


"Then what is it you want Potter"


"I just want you to have a look at my memories in that penseive, and then read this letter." Harry said, first pointing to the corner where the penseive was placed, then handed the professor his letter.


"Please" Harry pleaded. Grabbing the professor by the arm of his robes, standing up to guide him to the penseive.


Severus looked apprehensive, however surprisingly listened to what the boy had asked. Within the next minute, Severus had submerged his head into the penseive leaving both Dumbledore and Harry behind.


"How do you think he will take it, Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked, wringing his hands, shifting his weight from foot to foot.


"To be honest my boy, I have a feeling your dear father is not going to take this very well"


Humming in agreeance, Harry sat back down on the couch waiting for his father to resurface from the penseive.


Ten minutes later, the potions master was flung back hitting the ground with a thud. He made no motion and sat still for the next minute; with his back facing Harry.


Professor Dumbledore peered up from his paperwork looking at the man sitting on the ground with mild pity; he observed that Severus looked lost. The headmasters rustling brought the potions master back from his musings.


Severus whipped his head around looking dead straight into the headmasters eyes. He stood abruptly striding ever so quickly over to his long time mentor and employer. What happened next made Harry leap up out of his seat and run over to his father.


Professor Snape grabbed the front of Albus Dumbledores robes and pulled him close, so close, that their noses were nearly touching. The headmasters eyes had grown wide, taking in Severus crazed appearance, he listened to Severus' menacing words.


"How dare you concoct this nonsense. I do not ask for much old man, however I asked that you not reveal the best of me. And yet you have the audacity to make up a memory and not only fool the boy but try and fool me as well" Spit could be seen hitting the Headmasters face.


The old man grabbed the potions masters hands, gently trying to pry them off him. Harry could be seen to his fathers right side, also trying to pry his hands off the headmaster.


"Now listen here Severus, I have done no such thing" Albus said in a calm voice, however the head of Slytherin was having none of it.


Severus abruptly let go of the professor and strode to the opposite side of the room. Turning to look back at Potter and Dumbledore, the man looked as if he had aged 10 years; his face looking haunted by his past.


"I quit." The two words were spoken so clearly, it sent shivers up Harry's spine. Severus was waiting to hear what Albus' comeback would be. However he was surprised to note that Harry was actually the first to speak.


"You can't quit! Don't be ridiculous, you've just had a shock....come back here" Harry said in a scared and whiny voice.


"Ridiculous?" Severus arched his eyebrow. "I'll tell you what's ridiculous. Being ridiculed and lied to in the most horrendous way possible. I have been able to forgive you for many things Dumbledore but never this. Find someone else to do your bidding, I am out." Severus strode to the door, pulling on the handle to exit. However the door did not budge, casting alohamora also did not work. Getting angry, Severus whipped around and demanded that the headmaster would open the door.


"I am afraid dear boy that I cannot let you leave yet, not without having fully heard Harry out". Albus said.


Harry now made his way over to his father, his eyes beseeching for the man to listen to him. "Please, sit down. I know this sounds crazy, but it is true, you just can't remember..."


"Potter, I may not like you very much but even I do not wish this sort of a prank upon yourself. I am unsure as to the headmasters motives, however if you ever listen to anything that I have to say; please listen to me now. GET YOURSELF OUT, leave this school as soon as possible, lest you find yourself a pawn, a casualty of this war thanks to the all but great ALBUS DUMBLEDORE" Severus yelled the last part.


"I am afraid I can't do that dad" Severus flinched dramatically upon hearing Potter call him that.


Sighing, Harry sat down on the couch again, whilst his father was standing and heavily breathing. Pulling out the box and letter, he placed them onto his lap and started to speak in a strong authoritative voice; that which was very similar to his fathers.


"You are not going to quit. I have not finished talking, or showing you what I wanted to show you. I know this all sounds ridiculous, and like the worlds biggest prank. Trust me, I was not too happy when I found out you were my dad. But things changed, you helped me through a lot of stuff and were really there for me" Harry said whilst shrugging his shoulders.


Severus at this point, flopped back into an armchair facing Harry. His hands had now found his way into his hair, pulling at it; similar to how Harry had acted out in the dungeons earlier that day.


Harry knelt on the floor near his father, placing the letter onto his lap. Severus took a shaky hand, and picked up the letter. Tearing it open, he pulled out the piece of paper noticing his own writing on the page; his eyes bulging. His hands continued to shake, not knowing if they were shaking out of anger or fear; maybe a little bit of both.


"I'm happy to read it to you if you would like?" Harry asked. With a slight nod of his father head, he took the letter from his hands and cleared his throat.


Albus Dumbledore had now walked over to father and son, lingering nearby prepared to stun Severus if he ran to escape. Noticing the box discarded to the side, Albus walked around the couch picking it up, and gently placing it onto Severus' lap; opening the lid.


Looking nervously at both professor's, Harry began reading the letter out loud.


Dear Harry,


I can only imagine how furious you are with me, but there really is no point in sulking about. In the past few months, I have not only come to know the real Harry but come to truly love you as a son; which I never thought possible. When I regained my memories back from your mother, my initial feelings were sorrow, pain, anger and betrayal. All of which I suppose you will be feeling at this moment as you read this letter. Maybe one day, once you have your own children, you will understand that you will do anything in order for them to be happy. The past day I saw you in the hospital wing, you were staring at the ceiling; sighing every 10 minutes.


I saw you truly sad. Of course, you were sad when your friends didn't approve of us; but this sadness ran much deeper. It looked as if you had lost someone very dear. Your mind couldn't remember, but your heart could. I write this letter as a sort of instruction manual. The potion I have ingested (which was once quite dangerous) I tweaked to make it safe; however, it still has more than a few downsides.


Firstly, I will not be able to remember that you are my son. I will have no recollection of the time we spent together over the last few months. And I dare say, I will also, once again, not be able to recollect your mother's and I relationship. The leaf, that your mother had saved all my memories on was gone the second I ingested the potion. All those memories of Lily and I are currently in my mind. Once I take the potion, they will be permanently removed.


I loved your mother very much and miss her more than you could ever understand. But, as a father, I love you even more. Which is why I have gone to these lengths. I have wronged you in so many ways throughout your Hogwarts tenor. Yet you, like your mother, have a profound ability to forgive.


My instructions you must be wondering. Are to sit down with me privately, when you will give me this letter to read. But before you offer me this letter, I want you to tell future me the following.


I will write dot points for everything to run smoothly.


Your memory loss happened because of a mixture of my own creation and the OERNELIM potion.I wanted to reverse your memory loss, which I previously had.I did so because of your mother


I should think the final phrase will be enough to peak my interest, you may of course however relay this information to me in any way which you see fit; I trust you always. Please keep in mind that I will at this point still most likely have doubts that I am your father. I do believe that it will come as quite a shock to me, that you are in fact my son.


Be warned that I will most likely think that what you are saying is a joke. Which is when you will offer this letter for me to read. I have put on it certain enchantments, to make it indestructible.


It might take me a day, two days or even a month. Please be persistent and pester me as much as possible. Even if I turn you away, you will know deep down that I love you. And please try again.


The me you knew will most certainly be gone. But I believe that future me will love you just as much. It will be a shocking realisation, but definitely a good one.


It has been a privilege getting to know you, and I could not be any prouder of you.


With this final word, I bid you adieu.


I love you always,


Your father Severus Tobias Snape"


Harry had silent tears streaming down his face. Placing the letter onto the floor, Harry chanced a look at his father. He was slightly taken aback when he saw that his dad was sitting stiffly upright, looking at a photo in his hand. It clicked to Harry that whilst he was reading the letter, his father must have been looking through the photos which had been placed in the box.


Currently, Severus was holding onto a photo of him and Lily on their wedding day. He then began robotically flicking through all the other photos, as if on replay; over and over again for the next couple of minutes. Photos of Harry as a baby, more of Lily; it went on and on. After a while he dropped the photos, making a guttural moaning noise. Quickly he placed the photos into the box, dropping it onto the couch. Severus was up within a second, running to the balcony. Both Harry and Professor Dumbledore ran after the potions master, expecting the man to fling himself over the edge.


However, once he was outside, Severus merely collapsed onto the floor heaving; choking for air. Harry at once was beside his father with his arms around his shoulder. Severus tried shrugging his hand off, however the Headmaster had also placed a hand onto his shoulder.


"Breathe Severus, yes thats right" Albus said softly.


The potions master had now rolled over onto his back, the cool surface of the floor aiding in cooling him down. He laid on the ground for what felt like an eternity.


The headmaster had decided to go back inside, and sit on the sofa. Harry however would not leave his position on the floor. Watching the rise and fall of his dad's ribcage. Severus was slowly brought back to the real world, when he turned his head over to Harry; their eyes locking.


Nothing was said, they both stayed in their current positions staring at each other. Harry wondered who would break their silence first; when his father spoke softly.


"I don't believe it" Severus Snape uttered, not so much speaking to Harry or himself; but to the world.


Severus' mind was reeling, hundreds of thoughts all happening at once. 'Lily, his Lily had actually been his? No, impossible...or was it? The photos were proof enough...the photos...all a lie...no..YES...' His anguished cries rang out in his mind, squinting his eyes in internal pain.


Upon looking at Harry's face, the breath in his lungs nearly left his body. Gasping, he looked at Harry Potters face, however, there were now no remnants of the man he hated. Only his Lily, and now himself, was evident in the Boys features; not Harry Potter but Harry Snape. How had he not seen this before, his eyes now as wide as an owls. He only then noticed that the boy no longer required glasses, his beautiful green eyes on display.


The potions master sat up drawing his knees into his chest, whilst still looking at Harry.


"I need to be certain" He whispered out loud. Then the boy did something he did not expect, he smiled.


"Did you want to make the parentis potion?" Harry asked. His father nodding silently in agreeance. Holding his hand out, Harry helped the potions master stand.


"I can help you make it if you want. I was quite fortunate to have a potions master tutor me over the past couple of months; no longer a disgrace in potions now eh" Harry said trying to lighten the mood, however his smile faded as his father began to speak.


"No" Severus said abruptly, muttering a quick 'thank you' after.


"I...I need time alone to think. It..it would be best if I did the brewing myself. I need to know that no one is there to tamper with anything" Harry was about to interrupt by saying that 'of course he wouldn't tamper with anything'; when Albus' hand landed deftly onto Harry's shoulder.


Albus merely smiled and spoke in a calming voice. "Yes, I think that is a fine idea Severus. I will wait here with Harry, I'm sure he can go and fetch some homework or reading material whilst we wait." With a quick flick of his wand the door to the Headmasters Office was opened.


Without looking at anyone, Severus quickly made his way out of the office and down to his personal potions room. His mind reeling, he took a few deep breaths and with shaky hands began his work.


Harry had decided to head back to the Gryffindor common room to grab his book bag. However, once in his room, he plopped himself onto hid bed releasing a breath; that he did not know he had been holding. He began to breath deeper and deeper, until his breaths turned into sobs. Clutching his pillow Harry continued to cry, crying for the loss of his father. But he also cried for the success that today was. Severus could have acted in a poorer fashion, however in the end it looked like he got through to the man.


Fifteen minutes later Ron found Harry sleeping on his bed, with tear marks staining his pillow and bed sheets. Sighing, Ron walked over, picking up a blanket and placing it over the young Gryffindors body.


_______________________________________________________________________


Severus Snape's personal potions rooms


As soon as his feet landed inside his personal brewing rooms, he walked over to his store room and prepared all his potion ingredients. Within the next 30 minutes he had appropriately prepared everything, and began brewing. Severus Snape tried to stop his hands from shaking, lest he botch the potion. However, after the news he had received this afternoon, he could not help himself.


He felt confused, sad, happy, surprised and a sense of loathing in himself which was of the highest kind. Severus was the type of person who in general loathed himself, and often thought about the lives he had ruined; specifically Lily's. But now, he had his son to add to his list of deep regrets. A boy, his boys in which he had bullied for the past 5 years. Albus was right, the boy was too forgiving, it was clear that Pot...Harry had forgiven him for his past indiscretions. He reflected on the boys attitude throughout the years, and could not help but feel proud that his son was a fierce, loyal, and powerful wizard. Kind and forgiving, much like his dear mother.


Severus continued to think about the past, when he came back to the present realising that he had been brewing for the past 2 hours. Looking into the potion, he saw that it had turned the correct shade; the potion was completed.


Looking at the clock, his eyebrows rose in surprise, it was past 8:00pm and he had missed dinner in the great hall. Going into his draw he brought out a sharp knife, and slid the blade down his middle finger, allowing droplets of blood to be placed into a small vial. Harry, the potions master thought, he would need to extract some blood from the boy to validate whether they were actually father and son. Shifting from foot to foot, the potions master decided that now was as good of a time as any to get it. He moved swiftly to the door, and locked it with his wand. The professor could hear students returning from the great hall back to their common rooms. Bypassing all the students, the professor made his way back to the headmasters office to see Harry Potter.


_______________________________________________________________________


Headmasters Office


Professor Dumbledore was currently sitting on the couch enjoying a spot of tea when he heard the door knock. "Come in" he replied.


Severus Snape, walked into the room only stopping when he observed Albus sitting down.


"Ah, I see that the potion is ready. That didn't take too long did it" Dumbledore mused.


"I've been gone now a couple of hours...where's the boy?" Severus asked.


"When I realised that Harry was taking a long time to retrieve his books from his dorm. I sent a house elf to go and check in. Dobby reported back saying that Harry was fast sleep on his bed. That poor boy has had enough trouble to last him a life time... I do hope you will learn to control your temp..." the potions master quick cut off the headmaster asking him to get Dobby to go fetch the boy,


"Right away sirs, anything for the famous Harry Potter" Dobby stated before quickly vanishing.


Within two minuted Dobby had re-entered the headmasters office. "Dobby has woken Harry Potter, Harry will be coming up here shortly" And with that being said, the house elf vanished.


"Well, there is no use in just standing there Severus, do join me for a cup of tea"


"Why is it that you believe that every situation can be solved with a cup of tea" Severus snorted upon hearing Dumbledores response 'Because I am British...'


Not waiting to hear what Dumbledore was saying, Severus decided to place the potion on the table, then walk to the balcony for some fresh air. The weather outside today was beautiful. The wind was blowing just enough to have a cooling effect on the potion masters face. Closing his eyes Severus breathed in and out, whilst focusing on the sounds around him. He needed to gain his composure. Whilst brewing the parentis potion, he had felt his heart constrict. He knew deep down that this was not a hoax, and that the potion would in-fact turn out to prove that Pott..Harry was his biological child.


Opening his eyes, he looked at the scenery in front of him and thought back to all the times he has bullied and wronged this child..his child. He could not believe his luck, all these years believing that things had ended horribly with Lily. When in-fact she was his, he was her's and Harry was theirs. Just that thought along, Harry was theirs, was enough to keep him sane. He knew he would never remember the times they shared, but if the potion proved to be positive. Severus Snape knew that the burden that he had carried all these years would be gone. Upon that thought, he heard the large door the Dumbledore's Office open, and quick footsteps rushing into the room.


"Prof...Headmas...." Harry stood in the room panting, clutching the side of his ribcage.


Severus Snape walked back into the room, lifting an eyebrow as he observed Harry panting like a dog.


Gaining some composure, Harry spoke out "I'm soo sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep; promise! I laid down for one second then the next thing I knew. I was being shaken awake by Dobby"


"Relax dear boy, your father only walked through the door 10 minutes ago, which also allowed me to finish drinking my tea" Dumbledore stood up, and took the potion with him to a basin. It was a shallow light green dish which was very narrow. After placing the dish on the table, he un-corked the cap to the potion then poured in in the dish. Turning around he looked to Harry then Severus.


"My boys, I will unfortunately need a piece of hair or blood from you both the determine.." The headmaster was cut off by Severus placing a droplet of blood into the dish.


Both older gentleman turned to Harry who plucked a piece of his hair out of his scalp. Slowly, Harry inched his was closer to the dish, then slowly released the piece of hair.


With the liquid in the dish now starting to steam grey, all parties in the room looked to each other, then back to the dish. Severus was the only one to inch forward, holding his breath in anticipation. Upon looking at the contents of the dish, he sighed silently. Eyes fixed, and not moving. Harry did come closer to his father, then smiled once looking into the dish.


The second Harry looked to his father, their eyes linked. Severus did not say anything, however they stood there for a minute just staring. Behind those round black eyes, Severus could only think of one thought 'I'm sorry'.


Turning away, he looked back at the dish, then to his son one last time before walking towards the door. Harry went to say something when Severus turned around quickly. Without looking at anyone he walked over to the couch to retrieve the letter and box of photos. He walked back to the door then turned around one last time.


Looking at Harry, his son, Severus softly spoke a few words which would linger in Harry's memory till the day he died. "Thank you for setting me free Potter.. Harry. You have freed me of the pain of knowing that Lily chose James. However, my relief has been changed to deep despair and shame. For the way in which I have treated you all these many years. The shame in which I will bring to you for being your father an ex Death Eater and Slytherin.


I have belittled and bullies you for the duration of your education. For this, I do not blame you if you do not want to forgive me." Looking at his son, he sighed.


"You know, you really do look so much like Lily, even more so now that the glamor is gone. I do not know if I will ever be able to be a good father to you, like the old me. However you have my word that until my dying breath I will make this up to you. All I ask is that you give me time". 


And with Severus' final word, Harry walked up to Severus, and did the last thing that Severus thought he would do.


"There is no need to apologise, you already did that enough previously. I know that you cannot remember this, but I can. You have been the best father figure the past couple of months, more than I could have ever hoped for.


If you really want to make it up to me, please just let go. Let go of all past resentments, childhood grudges and let me be a part of your life."


The potions master was taken aback by his response, but was even more taken aback when Harry came up and wrapped his arms around him, and whispered quietly so only his father could hear.


"You are forgiven, always and forever. I know that mum would be really happy if she were here. I love you dad".


Severus slowly brought his arms up and embraced his son. One arm around his shoulder, and the other lying on the back of the boys head. They stayed embracing for what seemed like forever. Severus not being able to look at Harry, but also not being able to let go, squeezed his son and whispered.


"Your mother would be so very happy and proud. I loved her very much, and I love you too Harry. Forever and Always".

The End.
Chapter End Notes:

Thank you to all who have commented and read this story!! This is a wrap for now. Stay tuned for future works :)