Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2: Merlin's Heir
Harry woke to a pounding headache... Wait no, that was just Aunt petunia slapping the door.

"Up! Get up!!"

Harry groans. "I'm up. I'm up."

"Don't use that tone on me! Go get breakfast ready!" She smacks him on the head. Harry lets her, it wasn't as if he wasn't used to this after all.

Harry gets to work, muscle memory guiding him as he hasn't got his mind wrapped around the fact he really was 10 years old again.

Vernon was relaxing at the kitchen table, stuffing himself with Dudley when the post came.

"Boy! Go get the post!" Vernon yells.

Harry did so without complaint. Just as he suspected, his letter was at the bottom of the pile. He quickly stuffs the envelope down the oversized pocket in his oversized pants and hurries to the kitchen, handing Vernon the mail for the day.

Just as he remembered, the whole family went out to get Dudley new toys and Harry had the whole house to himself.

He quickly wrote a note to his Aunt explaining he would be out because they had no more food, which he obviously lied about. He was off to get his school things.

Now that he thinks about it, Harry can't help but feel as if he was forgetting something. He shrugs it off and heads to the leaky cauldron which wasn't actually that far away by train.

He makes sure to cover his scar before entering.

"Excuse me." Harry turns his innocent face on.

"Oh Hullo young man. What can I do for you?" Tom asks.

"I got my Hogwarts letter today and my Aunt says that I was allowed to get all my things from Diagon alley!" Harry says excitedly, holding his letter up in exaggeration as if proving he got it.

"And where is your Aunt?" Tom asks, slightly suspicious.

Harry grins inwardly. He had planned this out perfectly on his way here. He had a few options. First, pretend he was a big boy and can go by himself, this would allow him to go by himself since Tom doesn't question strangers much but it would be troubling and annoying if people were suspicious of him. Second would be luring Tom away from this conversation with his evasive skills, which Tom would no doubt question him later for. He would have enough time to think up another excuse but it would take too long and was also pretty troubling since no normal 10 year old would have evasive skills he had picked up over the years. Their would be showing his family's 'oh so kind and loving care' in a oblivious way. This was the most appealing as it would get him through with no problem and up his relationship points with the man.

"My aunty says I was a freaky good for nothing boy and I was old enough enough to get my own things." Harry says smiling a little, to show that he normally got this treatment from his aunt and that he was that oblivious of the abuse.

As expected, Tom gasps but hides it a split second later.

"Right this way Young sir. Diagon alley is through here... And if you ever need a place to stay, you are most welcome here."

"Thank you, Mister!" Harry gives an angelic smile before walking through the brick archway.

He makes his way to Ollivanders first. He can't wait for his wand, even if he could do wandless and wordless magic, it wouldn't be good if he let anyone else find out. But he needs his money first. So Gringotts it is. He makes his way to the large building and enters quietly.

"Excuse me?" Harry says quietly, tippy toeing to reach over the counter that the Goblin, Griphook was perched on.

"Yes?" Griphook sneers.

"My aunty says that there should be a vault here for a freaky no good boy like me." Harry says.

Griphook looks startled for a second at the sudden bomb if his eyes widening was a sign. "Young sir, what is your name?"

"'m Harry Potter." Harry smiles politely. Griphook doesn't openly gape but it was a near close thing. "What's your name, Sir?"

Griphook was thrown off again at the question, normally people don't ask for Goblins' names. "I am Griphook. Now, I do believe your parents have left you three vaults. However, you will need you key."

"I don't have a key..." Harry trails off, frowning. "D-Does that mean I can't get my school supplies?" Harry pushes his sad expression to the max.

"Of course not, Mr Potter! All I need is three drops of blood to prove it is you." Griphook hurries to explain, pulling out a blank piece of parchment, no doubt enchanted to show the person's heritage.

Harry didn't want to reveal his Merlin heritage so early but he guessed he had no choice. He rubs his eyes and nods an affirmative.

Harry pricks his finger without wincing and it causes Griphook to flinch. 'How abused is the child to have hardly no pain tolerance when pricking their finger?'
Harry drips the blood onto the parchment and watches in awe as ink began to appear on the parchment.

As Griphook began to scan the parchment, he began to pale as the Peverell's' name appeared before making a choking sound as Merlin's name was revealed. Harry makes sure to carefully give off a confused expression.

Griphook makes the huge bell ring twice, causing the whole hall go quiet. Harry was genuinely confused now, this never happened in the previous time line... Then again, he didn't get his heritage checked in Gringotts.

"Clear the building! All wizards and Witches out!!" Griphook bellows. "GRINGOTTS IS CLOSED FOR THE DAY!!!"

Harry gapes and watches as Goblins' hurries around, making the humans leave. Harry saw Lucius Malfoy being ushered out and Harry wonders how Lucius was going to take this.

Also, Gringotts was never closed. Not even during the war and during the night.

Before the Goblins' could question why Griphook wanted the building closed for the day, Griphook levitates Harry onto a pedestal.

"Merlin's child has returned!" Griphook announces.

Goblins' gasps and instantly knelt down onto the knees. Harrys' eyes widened at the blunt display of respect. Goblins' never knelt down for anyone. Not even Lucius Malfoy.

"Our Lord. We shall follow you in whatever decision you choose and whatever path you follow. So mote it be." The Goblins' recite.

Harry couldn't lift his jaw up. The Goblins' had just-

"What does that mean?" Harry asks, remembering to pretend he didn't know Wizard traditions.

"It means if we broke what we had just said, we die." Griphooks explains.

"No!" Harry gasps. "Wh-What if I say that eating dessert before dinner is a new rule from now on?!"

Some of the Goblins' smile and chuckle.

"Please lift it! What if you... if you say 'No' and die? If you keep saying 'Yes' to me, I'll become spoilt!" Harry gasps, fidgeting and looking panicked.

A few Goblins' exchange amused glances.

"My Lord, I don't believe that will ever come true." Griphook says.

"B-But I'm already spoilt enough! I should be grateful for my Aunt and Uncle to have taken me in and put a roof over my head! They were even kind enough to clean out my cupboard so I can fit inside!" Harry exclaims, bringing back memories from his last life as well as this life.

"Cupboard, My Lord?" Griphook grits his teeth.

"Yeah. My room! You know, where you sleep!" Harry explains. "Oh! Please don't tell anyone about all I've said. Aunty and Uncle have explained to me the proper way of keeping their family looking normal." Harry looks smug at having done something 'right'.

Since the Goblins' were bound to follow his word, they were forced to keep quiet anyways but Harry had to pretend he didn't know that.

Griphook, for the first time, wanted to kill the muggles that had abused his Lord and Harry Potter. They had made Harry grateful if the abuse and for Griphook, that was the worst.

"My Lord. This vow can not be lifted even by us. Once the words were said, it was then impossible. Worry not, we Goblins' had made a vow long ago to Merlin himself and he was the same as you. He wanted none of us to take the vow and yet we did anyways. We vowed that once we find his heir, we will bind ourselves to them as well. This was inevitable." Griphook says.

Harry gapes again. This never happened before! And Harry felt really bad for making the Goblins' bind themselves to him.

"So whatever I do... I can't stop you and the others?" Harry asks.

"No."

"Oh..." Harry mumbles.

"Shall I take you to your vault now, My Lord?" Griphook asks.

"Yes please, Mister Griphook!" Harry smiles uncertainly.

"Please, My Lord, it is just Griphook."

Harry tilts his head to the side, as if thinking really hard about this decision before smiling and nodding.

"Okay! You're a great friend Griphook!"

Griphook blinks and didn't have the heart to correct Harry that Harry was his Lord, not friend. Since whatever His Lord says, goes. He will be whoever His Lord wanted him to be.