Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This Chapter: Harry and Snape celebrate Christmas.
Christmas at Snape Manor

When Snape vanished from his sight, Harry closed his eyes again. He didn’t go to sleep again, though. He shoved the blankets back and curled up on his side.

Why was it so hot in here? It was cold outside; he could open a window. He climbed unsteadily out of bed and stumbled over to one of the windows. He tugged on the latch and the window sprang open, filling the room with frigid air.

“Harry, what are you doing!” said Snape as Harry was about to stick his head out of the window. Snape pulled him away from the window and draped a blanket around his shoulders, then shut the window. Harry shrugged the blanket off and let it fall to the floor.

When Snape picked it up and made to put it back on him, he said, “No.”

“What?” said Snape.

“It’s hot in here,” Harry complained. Snape shook his head.

“No, it’s not hot. You only think that.”

“It is too hot!” Harry said irritably. Snape sighed and pushed Harry over to sit on his bed.

“Harry, drink these potions. Madam Pomfrey will be by in a short while to look you over,” said Snape. Harry gagged at the taste of the potions that Snape handed to him, then lay down and curled up. He felt a blanket draped over him, but didn’t bother to fight it, for he was tired again.

~Snape’s POV~ Snape frowned as he looked at the still form of Harry. What had happened to him? Harry had been fine before they’d left for Diagon Alley.

That got rid of the possibility of whatever was wrong with Harry being a side affect of Humeur Ascenseur. He also toyed with the idea of Harry’s illness being caused by the Weasleys’ concoctions, but quickly dismissed that thought. The twins wouldn’t have given them anything that wasn’t safe. He hoped it was the flu, and not a curse that had been cast on Harry during their trip to Diagon Alley.

He really shouldn’t have left Harry go off on his own, but he wanted Harry to have some freedom. Harry wouldn’t do well being trapped in this house, nor being watched constantly.

Snape walked down to his office to await Madam Pomfrey’s arrival, leaving Harry’s door open so he could hear if anything was amiss. Madam Pomfrey didn’t take her time in coming; she arrived mere minutes after Snape entered his office.

Snape led her to Harry’s room, where the boy was sleeping fitfully. Madam Pomfrey dropped her bag on the edge of Harry’s bed and began casting diagnostic spells while Snape hovered at the foot of the bed. After several spells, one flared red and Madam Pomfrey frowned. She cast several more, all of which had the same reaction. She put down her wand and turned to Snape.

“I suppose it could be worse,” she said cryptically.

“What?” asked Snape impatiently.

“He has Wizard Flu,” said Madam Pomfrey.

“Well, that’s not too bad then,” said Snape.

“It can be, though. Normally, a magical child will contract it when they are young or will get the proper immunizations before coming to Hogwarts. It’s much more dangerous at Harry’s age. I don’t think that he’s had any Wizarding vaccines,” she said.

“What are we supposed to do then?” asked Snape.

“Treat him as you would a regular case of the flu, only with stronger doses of potions,” said Madam Pomfrey.

“All right,” said Snape. Madam Pomfrey picked up her bag and selected several bottles from it.

“I’m sure you know how to brew these already, but here are some to get you started,” she said as she handed him the bottles. Snape only glanced at them briefly before returning his attention to Harry. He felt a hand on his arm and resisted the urge to shake it off.

“Severus, this is not your fault. You couldn’t have known that he’s susceptible to Wizarding illnesses. The castle was spelled to protect students from them. Your house isn’t and Diagon Alley certainly isn’t. Just take care of him and he will be fine,” said Madam Pomfrey. She pressed the bottles into his hands. “I need to return to Hogwarts now. Make sure you Floo me if he gets any worse. I’ll see myself out.”

He heard a quiet click as the door was shut behind her. Snape set the potions on Harry’s desk and dragged the chair over. He brushed Harry’s hair off his face and heard Harry moan softly.

“It’s all right,” said Snape softly.

Harry’s eyes flickered open and he whispered, “Dad?”

“Yeah,” said Snape.

“I don’t feel good,” said Harry quietly.

“I know. Madam Pomfrey says you have the flu,” said Snape.

“Oh,” said Harry and closed his eyes.

“Rest, Harry,” said Snape.

***

Harry was feeling better several days before Christmas and finally ventured downstairs for breakfast. He grimaced at the food and sipped at a mug of hot chocolate. He still wasn’t ready to stomach real food.

After breakfast, Harry lay on a couch in the living room with the book of fairy tales Snape had found in his room. Harry was situated near the fireplace with a thick knitted blanket while Snape sat with a copy of the Daily Prophet.

His brow furrowed as he read of another small attack, this one closer to Hogwarts. What was going on with all these small attacks? Nearly no one had been hurt, so they seemed pointless... unless the attacks were a distraction for something else. He didn’t like to think what that might be.

On Christmas Eve, Snape sent Harry’s friends’ presents for him, and had Harry bring anything else he had downstairs. When Harry arrived with his brightly wrapped and oddly shaped package, he had Harry set it under the tree, then presented him with the colorful Wizarding sock he had gotten for him. Small trinkets and candy were already in it and would appear on Christmas Day.

“Hang it on the windowsill,” instructed Snape. Harry did so, and then turned back with an expectant look on his face.

“What do we do now?” he asked eagerly.

“Now you can light the candles,” said Snape. He handed Harry one of the lit ones and watched as the boy bounced around, excitedly lighting the candles that adorned the tree. When that task was done, Harry held the candle out to Snape.

“You keep it. We have one more thing to do, then it’s off to bed for you,” said Snape. He led Harry out to the entrance hall and enchanted the window in the door to hold the candle.

Harry set it carefully in the window and asked, “Can’t I stay up a little later?”

“You have to be in bed for Saint Nicholas to come,” said Snape.

“There’s no such thing,” said Harry.

“Are you so sure?” countered Snape. “Now off to bed with you.” Harry rolled his eyes and complied.

Once Harry as in bed, Snape collected the gift he had gotten for Harry and the ones that Dumbledore had sent along from his friends and placed them carefully under the tree. Then he too went to bed.

~Harry’s POV~ Harry woke when sunlight began streaming into his windows and jumped out of bed. He hurriedly dressed and ran downstairs, where he found Snape in the living room, drinking a cup of coffee. He held out a mug of hot chocolate to Harry, who took it and had a sip of the hot liquid. Harry set the mug down on the table beside Snape.

“Is it time for presents yet?” he asked.

“Go ahead,” said Snape. Harry rooted through the pile that had mysteriously appeared overnight and found his present for Snape.

He held it out to Snape and said, “Open mine.” Snape set aside his coffee with a smile on his face and took the package. He had a difficult time in getting it unwrapped, even having to resort to his wand several times. Snape smiled again when he saw the various bottles.

“These are very thoughtful of you. Thank you, Harry,” said Snape, sounding quite pleased. “Now go open your presents.”

Harry obediently complied, kneeling beside the tree and grabbing the first gaily-wrapped package he could get to. It was large and box-shaped, and he opened it to find a box full of Wheezes. Harry heard Snape groan softly from his chair.

“I promise not to use any of these on you,” said Harry with a grin. He pushed the box aside and picked up a smaller package. He ripped the paper off and found a small jewelry box with a folded square of parchment.

***

Harry,

Your dad helped me with this. I hope you like it. It’s called a Worry Stone. All you need to do is hold it in your hand. I can assure you it’s perfectly safe to use. Ask Snape if you want to know more about it.

Ginny

***

Harry set the note on top of the box of Wheezes and opened the box. Inside was a smooth red stone, with swirls of pearly white twisting and whirling inside. A thin black cord was threaded through a tiny hole in the stone and Harry immediately looped it over his neck.

He glanced quickly up at Snape before closing his fingers around the stone. He felt relaxed almost immediately, but hurriedly dropped the stone, not wanting its effects to mess with him at the moment.

The next package he opened was from Ron and contained a variety of sweets. Hermione’s gift was a set of wildly colored inks, even one that changed colors and one that was multi-colored.

Mrs. Weasley had sent the usual Weasley jumper, green with a white ‘H’ on it. Lupin had also sent sweets.

Finally, he found a package that was covered in glossy dark green paper. Harry carefully ripped it open, revealing a small, flat box. He opened it and found a delicate chain of woven silver. Tiny runes were affixed to it at regular intervals. Harry stood and went over to Snape.

“What is it?” he asked curiously.

“It’s an amulet of sorts, designed to protect you from evil. I was told it would block simple curses as well. I’ve got the twin.” He lifted a matching silver chain from under his collar. “It’s completely undetectable by anyone you don’t tell that you have it.”

Harry took it out of the box and struggled with it for a moment before Snape took it and hooked it around his neck for him.

“Thanks, dad,” said Harry.

“You’re welcome. Now, why don’t I sent these up to your room and we’ll go have breakfast?”

“’Kay,” said Harry. Snape magicked the presents upstairs and they headed to the dining room, Harry feeling truly happy for the first time in a while.

***

The next day, Harry got up late before wandering downstairs. Voices in the living room distracted him from his original destination of the dining room and he headed there instead.

Inside, he found Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sitting with Snape.

“Good morning,” he greeted as he seated himself beside Ginny. The redhead immediately leaned on him. Ron and Hermione gave them odd looks.

“I’m not hiding anything,” Ginny declared loudly.

Snape looked between the two couples and said, “I’ll leave you four to sort this out.” He abruptly stood up and left the room.

“You two…aren’t together, are you?” asked Ron uncertainly.

“And who cares if we are?” retorted Ginny. Ron let out an angry huff, but didn’t comment. “Any objections, Hermione?” asked Ginny with a fierce look on her face.

“No, none,” said Hermione.

“Good,” said Ginny and smiled.

***

The rest of the day passed by quickly, as did the rest of the holidays. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny visited them several more times, much to Harry’s delight.

On the last day of Christmas break, Harry and Snape Portkey’ed back to Hogwarts and met up with his friends in the entrance hall. Harry said goodbye to Snape and went upstairs to settle back in.

Their regular routine was quickly re-established, with classes, visits with Snape, and Harry and Ginny hiding in their secret room.

The small attacks continued, getting closer and closer to Hogwarts. Harry didn’t like the feeling that they gave him. He knew the final battle was drawing ever closer, and he knew that he was going to have to prepare if he was to defeat Voldemort.

He had to be ready to take on Voldemort and win. He didn’t want Voldemort destroying his and countless numbers of peoples’ lives. Voldemort would not win. He would make sure of it.

Ginny finally brought up the topic one night in their secret room.

“What are you going to do about Voldemort?” she asked. Harry chew on his lip a moment before answering. “I think Avada Kedavra will work, but it just doesn’t seem enough, you know?”

“It’s just that he seems immortal. The best way is to bring him down is with a spell,” she said. Harry jumped up and thought on that for a minute.

“Ginny, you’re a genius!” he declared, kissing her cheek. “No one thinks he’s human. He was brought back with flesh and blood, that makes him human. He took my blood, his father’s bones, and Wormtail’s arm. He’s human, he bleeds, and I’m going to make damn sure everyone else knows that too,” he said forcefully.

“What?” asked Ginny.

“I’m going to make him bleed at my hand,” answered Harry.

“Remember what Snape said. Don’t dwell on things like that,” reminded Ginny.

“I’m not dwelling on it. I know exactly what I’m going to do,” said Harry.

“Okay,” said Ginny. “Are we going to want the D.A. in on this?”

“No,” said Harry.

“But what if you need back-up?” she asked.

“I won’t. This is going to be between me and him. No one else is going to be hurt because of me. He’s not going to be able to hurt any of my friends,” said Harry.

“But--”

“No, I don’t want you there either. He’ll just use you against me. I don’t want you getting hurt,” interrupted Harry.

“If that’s the way you want it, then,” she said slowly.

“Yes,” he said firmly.

***

Snape seemed to be having the same thoughts as Ginny. He summoned Harry to his office several days before the end of the month.

“Harry, he’s getting closer to Hogwarts. He’s coming for you and I want you to be ready,” started Snape. Harry stood up and paced in front of Snape’s desk.

“I know, dad. I know he’s coming for me, and when he does, I’m ready for him,” he said forcefully.

“Harry--”

“I know, you told me not to dwell on things like this. I’m not, I’m just saying that I know what I’m doing when he comes,” interrupted Harry.

“And if things don’t go according to plan?” asked Snape.

“Then I’ll just wing it. I got lucky the other six times, didn’t I?” He sat back down with a flourish.

***

As the attacks mounted and Voldemort and his forces drew ever nearer, Harry began to feel nervous about the impending battle. He knew what he was going to do, though, and hopefully that would be enough.

Chapter End Notes:

Next Chapter: Chapter 23: Edge of the World

To Readers: There are only two more chapters left after this one. Please join my Yahoo group, which is linked in my profile, as I will be giving hints and teasers out before each of the new chapters.