Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, I hope you're well. I've taken a bit longer to write this chapter for several reasons. The first one is that during the holidays I went back home and it was quite hard to be there without my mum. Then, when I came back, I didn't feel like writing too much because I was sad and without much energy. The second reason is that I've started an internship in a lab and it's quite a tiring job that leaves me almost no free time. But well, I think I just need to get used to it and organise myself better. Little by little :) So, I hope to have more energy and free time in the next months because when I'm well (or even bad) I really enjoy writing. Anyway, I'll stop boring you... I hope you like the chapter :)
The funeral of Fred Weasley
Harry walked into the kitchen, still holding the Stone between his fingers, and searching for Ron and Hermione with his eyes. He found them in the corner of the room, talking quietly. He approached them, nervous to share his decision, but certain, finally, that it was the right one.

"Harry." Hermione said when she saw him. "Are you alright?"

That was a common phrase these days. They asked it to each other all the time, even though they knew no one was okay.

"Yeah. I'm fine." He said, after all, dropping the stone back into his pocket. "I went to see George."

At the sound of his brother's name, Ron looked down. He hadn't gone to greet him yet and he felt guilty about it, but at the same time, he didn't have enough energy to deal with that blank stare that reflected his own pain.

"I need to talk to you." Harry said to them, regaining his friend's attention. "Remember what I told you this morning, when we were at Hogwarts?"

Ron and Hermione nodded, attentive to his words.

"Well... The thing is, I've made a decision. Talking to the other Weasleys has helped me to get a clearer picture and I'm now sure of what I need to do. But first I wanted to explain it to you. Especially you, Ron. To see what you think. Obviously, I won't do anything unless you agree to it as well."

The boy looked at him, taking in that new information.

"I'm glad you've made up your mind. I have to admit, I'm curious to know what it is. But let's go somewhere a little more private." He murmured, pointing his head at Mrs. Weasley. Molly was finishing all the details of the meal, glancing over each tray, and waving her wand from time to time.

"We could go to the living room." Hermione suggested.

Ron nodded.

"Good idea."

Before following them, Harry glanced around for Ginny, feeling somewhat disappointed that he didn't find her. He supposed she was with Mr. Weasley on the front lawn, so he decided that he would go looking for her later, after he had finished his conversation with Ron and Hermione.

After checking that the living room was empty, the three friends sat down on the old sofas. Harry remembered how almost a year ago the Minister of Magic had handed them Dumbledore's will in the same place. A small part of him wondered who Fred had left his belongings to. Then he noticed that both Ron and Hermione were watching him expectantly and he cleared his throat, remembering what he had to tell them.

"Okay..." The boy began. "First of all, Ron, I think it's important that I remind you of what I said this morning. I need you to be aware that... what I've thought about doing, what I'm going to explain to you... It could affect you negatively. You and your family, if you decide to go through with it.

"I understand."

"And you still agree to go forward with this?

"Yes, I do. I trust you, Harry."

At those words, the boy swallowed.

"All right." Harry took a deep breath, putting aside his fears. "First of all, I have to ask you a question."

"Anything you want."

"Do you remember that mirror we found during our first year, the one where I could see my parents?"

Ron nodded.

"Yes, I do."

"And do you remember how it affected me?"

That longing on Harry's face was hard to forget and Ron nodded slowly. Beside him, Hermione watched the scene silently.

"I do."

"Good. Because I want you to keep it in mind and not forget how easy it is to get lost in dreams and fantasies." Harry said seriously.

Ron said nothing, but nodded.

"In my case," Harry continued, "being able to see my parents could have been a beautiful thing, but I became obsessed with that mirror." He explained, hoping with all his might that Ron could understand him. "I would sneak out at night and spend hours staring at it. If it wasn't for Dumbledore, I might still be there..." He shook his head. "And I don't want anything like that happening to you."

"Harry, I understand. I really do. You're not going to lose me, I promise."

The boy watched him for a few moments, wishing with all his being that it was true.

"I hope so. Because I think it's worth a try, even with that possibility. Though I need to know that you feel the same way. That you understand the risks and still agree."

Silence fell in the room, as Ron took in his friend's words. Fear, curiosity, and nervousness fluttered in his stomach, aware of the responsibility Harry had just placed on him. He didn't know exactly what he was referring to, but it was clear to him that, depending on his decision, his family's fate could change.

"I understand the risks." He said finally. "And I'm ready. Tell me what you had planned to do."

Harry took a deep breath and reached into his pocket. His fingers trembled slightly as he picked up the Stone for the umpteenth time that day, reminding him that what he was going to do next could affect Ron forever. Finally, placing his trust in his best friend's strength, he pulled his hand out of his pocket and showed them the ordinary looking black pebble, except for the Deathly Hallows sign engraved on it.

"This," he said slowly, "is the Resurrection Stone. It was inside the Snitch that Dumbledore left me."

Ron's mouth opened into a shocked expression, but no sound came out of it.

"I managed to open it just before I gave myself to Voldemort." He continued. "Dumbledore planned it that way so I could use it when I was about to die."

"Harry..." Ron had regained his voice, though it sounded weak, full of emotion. He swallowed, not quite sure what to say, and Harry took advantage of that to continue speaking.

"I used it to talk to my parents, Sirius and Remus. They were the ones who gave me the strength to sacrifice myself." Memories of that night filled his mind, as Ron and Hermione shuddered. Harry had never told them the details of what had happened.

"So, you mean the Stone works? That it could-?"

A longing expression had appeared on Ron's face. One the boy knew all too well.

"No." Harry cut him off, very serious. "It doesn't work. At least not how we would like it to." He said, looking at them straight into their eyes. "It doesn't bring the dead back. It only shows a shadow of what they were. This I want to make very clear." Those words could sound harsh, but they were necessary. Especially after seeing that gleam, that desire, in Ron's blue eyes. "You can talk to them, but they clearly don't belong in this world."

"But-"

"And insisting on keeping them here will only make things worse. For the living, but also for the dead."

The hope on Ron's features had been fading as the words reached his ears. When Harry's voice trailed off, the boy sank back into the sofa cushions, devastated.

"For a moment there I thought..." He muttered leaning forward and resting his head in his hands. "Merlin..."

Hermione put a hand on his knee, reminding him that she was there. It was unusual for her to be quiet for so long, but she knew Ron needed that silence to take in the whirlwind of emotions inside him. So did she, but she had already figured out that the Stone had something to do with what Harry was planning and so she hadn't been so surprised. Still, the situation was really getting to her. Even if Fred wasn't her brother, Hermione considered the Weasleys part of her family, and losing him had been very hard for her. If she didn't show it as much as she would like to, it was because Ron needed her support and she had to be strong for him.

"Ron?" Harry called out to him, concern in his eyes. "It's hard, I know. But remember everything I've told you, please. And what you promised me."

Ron slowly sat up and removed the hands that were hiding his face. Harry could see the glint of tears in his eyes.

"I hate this..." The boy muttered, blinking. "Why does everything have to be so hard? Why did something like this have to happen to us? Voldemort is gone. We could have a peaceful life at last... But no. My brother had to die."

Harry grimaced as he felt Ron's pain. It was so palpable, so real. It filled every inch of his best friend's face.

"I don't want this situation. I don't want it." He continued, like a sulking child.

The way he said those words, as well as the angry expression on his face, made Ron look much younger than his seventeen years. He almost looked like a kid throwing a tantrum. Pain used to have that effect. Harry knew it well. When faced with a situation like the loss of a loved one, the inner child would resurface, angry and refusing to accept the new reality.

"I know." Was all Harry could say. "I don't want it either.

Ron sighed deeply, looking up at the ceiling and blinking to keep the tears from falling. Harry and Hermione remained silent, giving the boy time. It took a few seconds until, sniffling through his nose and wiping away the unshed tears with the back of his hand, Ron managed to regain his composure.

"It's okay. I'm okay." He said finally, nodding to himself. Then, extending a hand towards Harry, he murmured, "Can I see it?"

The boy, still holding the Stone between his fingers, hesitated for an instant. But it was just that, an instant. He had decided to trust Ron, to the very end. So, pushing the doubts from his mind, he nodded and, carefully, deposited the pebble in the boy's hand.

When the Relic touched his palm, Ron breathed in sharply. Then he swallowed and stared at the Stone in silence. He studied it for a few moments without saying anything.

"So..." He began, his voice a little hoarse. "With this thing... you said we could talk to Fred?"

"That's right."

"But not bring him back."

Harry shook his head.

"No. I'm sorry, Ron."

"Okay."

The Stone glinted in the sunlight streaming through the window as Ron watched it, taking a deep breath and trying to calm himself.

"Bad luck, really." He blurted out suddenly. "The Invisibility Cloak works perfectly, the Elder Wand too. It has to be the bloody Resurrection Stone that doesn't."

"Remember the tale of the three brothers." Hermione interjected, placing a hand on his arm. "The Stone never worked. The second brother tried to bring back his beloved, but he didn't succeed one hundred percent. And..."

"And in the end, he killed himself over it." Ron sighed. "Yes, I remember. And I understand your concern, Harry. This is... Difficult." He said, smiling ironically and holding up the Stone between his fingers. "We don't want it anyone to end up like the second brother..."

"No, we don't." Harry muttered, as Hermione shook her head.

"It's cruel. Not being able to bring him back, I mean."

"Yeah..."

"But, at the same time... Seeing him once more. Talk to him..." Ron's red eyes had regained some of their sparkle. He smiled and with a trembling voice said, "It would be... It would be something incredible."

Harry felt the knot in his stomach being replaced by pride towards his best friend. Ron was starting to let go of the disappointment and focusing on the silver lining, just what he had hoped he would.

"Alright." Ron said, nodding slowly. "I think...I think we should do it."

Harry let out the air he had been holding in, feeling a great relief at hearing those words.

"Are you sure?" He said, however. He had to know that Ron was completely on board with that plan.

"Yes." He said decisively. "I'm not going to deny that I'm a little worried about how the others are going to react. Especially George. Or Mum... But leaving them without the chance to say goodbye seems like a much worse alternative to me."

"I'm glad you think so." Harry smiled at him.

"So... How does it work, and when do we do it, before or after the funeral?"

"Maybe after the ceremony would be smartest." Hermione said. "I don't think we want word spreading about the Stone's existence. It would be better to do it after the other guests have left."

"Yes, you're right." Harry nodded. "And as for how it works... Don't worry, I'll use the Stone. I've done it before, so I know what to do." He didn't say out loud the real reason for that decision. That Ron might have been able to resist the temptation that the relic carried with it, but Harry knew it wasn't going to be that easy when he had Fred in front of him.

Ron watched him for a few moments. It was obvious that he knew what was going on. His hand trembled, twitching, almost closing over the Stone he was still holding. Harry and Hermione noticed that reaction, and so did Ron. The boy stared at his own fingers, surprised. A flash of fear appeared in his eyes.

"Here, take it." He said, hurrying to hand the Stone to Harry. The boy picked it up carefully, concern evident on his features.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes. But you're right. That thing is... dangerous. For a moment, it reminded me of... of what the locket made me feel." Ron's face reddened, but his words were serious. That little voice inside him, trying to convince him to do and think things he would never do, had returned for a moment.

"Are you okay?" Hermione said, this time.

"Yes. But I think it's best if Harry takes care of all this. Let him decide when and how to do it."

The boy nodded but was still somewhat alarmed by the reaction he had just witnessed. He wondered again if this was the right thing to do. If he wouldn't be putting the Weasleys at great risk.

"Oh and, Harry." Ron's voice snapped him out of those thoughts. "This doesn't mean I'm backing out, okay? I still think it's a good idea. But you were right. We have to be careful."

Harry nodded slowly.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"But..."

"But nothing. I know you're worried and you're thinking about what happened last winter. But, Harry, you don't have to. I've learned a lot from those days. Now I know when I'm in over my head. So, you take care of the Stone. I'll try to make the most of the extra time with my brother." He added with emotion in his eyes. "Okay?"

Harry swallowed, considering those words.

"Okay." He said finally. He then turned in Hermione's direction. "What do you think?"

The girl sighed.

"It's a complicated subject. It's true that there's a big risk involved, but as you rightly said, it's worth a try. The benefits clearly outweigh the possible negative outcomes."

Harry and Ron shared a look and smiled at each other: only Hermione could make a situation like that sound so mathematical.

"What did I say?"

"Nothing." Ron smiled at her, taking her hand. "Then it's settled, we'll do it after the funeral."

Harry nodded.

"Yes. And, back to the topic of how it works..." He bit his lip. "I know it's difficult, but I think the best option is to not use the Stone for too long. Just once and only for a few minutes. Agreed?"

Ron looked down. He was aware that it had to be this way, even if it hurt.

"Agreed."

"Good." Harry said, getting to his feet. "Then it's settled."

"Where are you going?"

"To find Ginny. I'd like to talk to her and explain the plan, do you know where she is?"

"Last time I saw her she was talking to Mr. Weasley in the garden." Hermione said, getting up from the sofa as well.

Ron was about to join his friends when the door opened, startling him. Molly came in at a brisk pace, stopping at the sight of them.

"Ah, there you are, boys. I've been looking all over for you. Percy's just arrived with the missing Weasleys. We're all waiting for you to start eating lunch."

"But..."

"But nothing. Come on, let's go." Molly gently pushed them towards the door. "Or the food's going to get cold."

The three friends exchanged a look. Apparently, the conversation with Ginny would have to wait.

"Okay, Mum. We are going, don't worry." Ron said opening the door that led to the garden and letting them through, before closing it behind him.

The tables were even more crowded than when they had arrived in the morning, with dozens of Weasleys sitting at them and filled with steaming dishes. Each one looked better than the last, flooding the air with delicious aromas and, at any other time, Harry's stomach would have growled at the sight of them. He glanced around, trying to find a free place to sit when he heard someone call out to him.

"Harry, over here!"

Sitting at a table, Charlie and George next to her, was Ginny. The girl pointed to the three empty seats next to her, gesturing for them to come over.

"Mum said we have to sit here." She explained. "She's over there with Dad, Bill, Fleur and her family..." Her dislike of the girl had lessened considerably as of late, but she still had to restrain herself from rolling her eyes. She was a little annoyed that she couldn't sit with the rest of her family. Especially on a day like that.

"I see." Ron said, sitting down next to Hermione and leaving the seat closest to Ginny for Harry, who thanked him with a nod.

"There you are." A voice behind them startled them. Harry turned and saw Percy, dressed in black like the rest of his family and with the same dark circles under his eyes. "Sorry I didn't greet you earlier, I had to go and find the last of the Weasleys that were missing..."

"Yeah, we've been told." Ron said, getting up again to hug his brother. "Trouble at the border, eh?

"Yes... It gets a bit annoying, but it makes sense. The Ministry can't risk the last remaining Death Eaters escaping and..."

Percy began to speak and never stopped. He paused briefly to greet Harry and Hermione, but then went on to explain what had happened at the border, the new measures the Ministry was taking, and how Kingsley was the best Minister of Magic he had ever seen. It seemed that Percy's obsession with government had returned once Voldemort had been defeated. His faith in the institutions had been renewed by seeing a wizard like Kingsley in power. Or perhaps, Harry thought, mechanically shoveling food into his mouth, Percy had latched on to anything that offered him some hope.

The rest of the meal passed without much incident. Harry ate in silence, while Percy and Charlie discussed various immigration and border control policies. Next to him, Hermione and Ron tried to convince George to eat something, exclaiming a little too forcibly about how good each of the dishes were. But George just drank water and nibbled on the occasional bread roll. Ginny wasn't very hungry either, and Harry watched her with concern, though he understood perfectly well. He would have liked to explain his plan to her, but with the others around it didn't seem like the best idea.

Finally, the meal was over, and Mrs. Weasley waved her wand, making the dishes, plates and cutlery disappear, as if they had never been there. Then, next to her, Arthur stood up and raised his wand to his throat, amplifying his voice.

"Hello, everyone. You know I'm not a man who likes to speak in public..." Mr. Weasley turned to smile in the direction of his children, though Harry could see the sadness on his face and his voice had begun to tremble. "But I wanted to thank you all for coming here today and for the support you have given me and the rest of my family. Now... If you could do me the favor of following me to the back of the garden, the ceremony will take place in a few minutes." He swallowed visibly and added, "Thank you."

A short man, whom Harry recognized as the wizard who had officiated at Dumbledore's funeral approached Mr. Weasley. The two began to speak in hushed tones, and Harry guessed that he would also be conducting the ceremony for Fred. That must have been a common occurrence at magical funerals. Sort of like the priests for Muggles. Christian Muggles, actually. Harry wondered if there were different religions in the magical world. He'd never really thought about it.

"Harry, are you ready?" Ginny's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. The girl was standing next to him, looking scared.

"Huh?"

"I asked you if you're ready."

Harry took a deep breath.

"Yes, I am." He realized that wasn't a lie. "Or at least as ready as I'm ever going to be." He took her hand, giving it a squeeze.

"You?"

"I'm afraid." She admitted, taking a deep breath. "But we have to do it for Fred."

Although anguish filled Ginny's face, Harry could also see the determination in her eyes. His heart swelled with pride at the girl's bravery.

"You're right. And you're not alone. I'm here." He told her seriously. "We're all here."

Ginny nodded and, still with her hand in Harry's she began to walk towards the back garden, tugging him gently. The boy followed her, passing next to Ron and Hermione. The three of them shared a look in which they said everything to each other that they couldn't with words, and so they gained enough strength to keep walking until they reached the coffin.

The other Weasleys were already sitting there, in the row of chairs right in front of the casket. There were still four empty seats, for Ron and Ginny but also for Hermione and Harry himself, and the boy was deeply touched when he saw it. Even at a time like this they had considered him part of the family.

Once they were all in their seats, the short wizard began to speak. Later, Harry would remember nothing of the ceremony. The wizard started reading some papers, talking about death and the afterlife. About the fact that Fred was no longer suffering and how he would be waiting for them in the future. And Harry just listened, thinking that Ginny had been right. That ceremony was entirely impersonal. It could have been Fred or anyone else who had died during the War, who was lying inside the coffin. The man's words lacked any weight because he hadn't known Fred and he didn't know what was gone. What was lost. The wrenching pain of knowing they would never hear his laughter again.

Harry started thinking that it was ridiculous to have been so afraid of the funeral, after all. Until the short wizard fell silent and Molly rose from her seat. She walked over to the coffin and, after caressing it lightly, turned around. Her hands were shaking, but Mrs. Weasley took a deep breath and began to speak. Her voice was weak, and tears were streaming down her face, but Molly Weasley did not break down. She spoke of Fred, of his life, of his strengths and weaknesses. Of how loved he had been and always would be. And when she had finished, her face broken with grief, but with so much love in her eyes that it hurt to look into them, Harry could feel Fred's presence as if he had summoned him with the Stone. Better even. For it was not a pale reflection of what the boy had been. But something complete, full of love and life.

Blinking back tears, Harry watched as the rest of the Weasley family rose as well and joined their mother in front of the coffin. They embraced, Molly, Arthur and their six remaining children, and stood there for a few moments. Then Mr. and Mrs. Weasley separated slightly and, pointing their wands at the ground, created a rectangular hole. The other Weasleys joined their parents and took out their wands as well. George turned and whispered something to his mother. She nodded and he bent down to place an object that Harry couldn't identify on top of the coffin. From a distance it looked like a piece of wood. Finally, the entire Weasley family pointed their wands at the coffin, levitating it and placing it gently into the hole. Arthur turned to his children once more and, after checking that everyone was ready, waved his wand to place the first amount of earth on top of the coffin. The others followed his lead, and, within seconds, the soil covered it completely.

Silence fell over the garden as the Weasley family returned to their seats. The short wizard spoke a few more sentences, thanking everyone for coming to say goodbye to Fred, but Harry was no longer listening. His eyes were fixed on the pile of dark earth covering his friend's lifeless body. He took a deep breath, his mind flooded with memories. The first time he saw Fred and the last. As well as hundreds of moments between the two of them, filled with laughter, banter, and conversations. His heart shrank at the thought that, if he had so many memories of the boy, he couldn't imagine what his family would be remembering.

Harry stayed like that for a long time, staring at that spot and hundreds of vivid moments dancing in front of his eyes. He was unaware that most of the guests were rising from their chairs, approaching the mound of earth to pay their respects, and then bidding farewell to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley with hugs or heartfelt words. Minutes passed until, suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Hermione.

"Harry, are you alright?"

The boy looked around. The chairs were empty and as he turned, he saw that the Weasleys were standing nearby the house, saying goodbye to the few remaining family members.

"Uh?"

"I asked if you are alright. We left you alone for a while because you looked like you needed it. But it's getting late."

Hermione was right. The light had dimmed considerably since the funeral had begun. It wasn't night yet, but the sun's rays didn't have that midday glow.

"Yes." He said, though he didn't believe it himself. "Yes, I'm fine."

"Almost everyone's gone..." Hermione replied. "I mean, in case you want to do you-know-what."

Harry blinked, suddenly remembering the existence of the Stone and the plan he had formed with his friends.

"Yeah, you're right. For a second there I'd forgotten."

Hermione smiled sadly at him.

"Don't worry. It's normal."

Harry watched her for a few moments intently. Her eyes were red and there were dry tears on her cheeks.

"Hermione... I'm sorry I didn't ask you back. Are you alright?"

The girl sighed.

"I have to admit, it was intense. And very sad... But beautiful at the same time. It's just..." She was silent for a few moments, something rare for her, searching for the right word. "It's hard. And I feel really sorry for the Weasleys and for us, but mostly for Fred. He deserved so much more."

Harry nodded.

"Yes. He deserved so much more."

There was nothing more to say, so Hermione took him by the arm.

"Come."

Together they approached the mound of earth and Harry found himself transported back to that Christmas night in Godric's Hollow, in front of his parents' grave. Hermione's presence comforted him, and he was glad to be there with her. Only the two of them could understand what it meant to not be a Weasley by birth, but still part of the family. They shared the same concern and care for that group of redheads they loved so much.

"We'll see that they get through this, Fred. I promise." Hermione whispered to the pile of sand, dust, and roots. "We'll take care of them."

Harry didn't think he was capable to talk, so he just nodded and placed a hand on Hermione's, conveying his affection.

The girl gave him a sad smile.

"Come on, let's go check on the others."

Harry nodded, taking one last look at the grave where Fred Weasley was already resting. The funeral had been hard, but he knew that now came the hardest part.
Chapter End Notes:
And this is the end of this chapter, I hope you liked it. I have to admit that I got emotional writing it but I'd like to know if it happened to you too. Sometimes I'm not sure about my own writing, so your comments are more than welcome.
That's all, thanks for reading and see you next time :)