Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Snape loves reading Troy Prather, and after an attack on Umbridge, the paper is banned.....
The Fluttering Of Owls
"I'm sure everyone has heard of umbridge. The ministry claims that Dumbledore has made questionable choices with their staff, but they hire a toad and dress it in pink.

Also, does anyone happen to have a cough drop? Umbridge seems to have an incessant cough that sounds like a cross between a dying kitten and nails on a chalkboard.

Her office has kittens on plates to decorate the wall. A simple explanation for this is that no real kitten would want to be anywhere near her.

She claims that we are learning defense against the dark arts risk free, but defending yourself from the dark arts is not risk free.

No one can really understand where she got the delusion we'd be friends with her, but I've got the distinct impression she thinks people care what she's got to say."

Troy Prather wrote that morning. The hall erupted in laughter, as everyone was reading the article.
Harry looked around and saw that even Professor Snape had an amused smile on his face. Harry grinned. He couldn't defend himself with his mouth, but he could with a pen.

The daily prophet stopped publishing, so he made his own paper. An owl landed in front of Harry. It carried a long thin package wrapped in brown paper.

Umbridge was watching him. Harry was about to open it when she came to his side.
"What is this?" She demanded, gesturing to the package.
"Obviously don't know yet, as I haven't opened it." Harry replied.
"Another week's detention for your cheek, potter." She said triumphantly, snatching his package. She ripped the paper off, and read a note it contained.

Harry felt a white hot loathing for this woman. She handed Harry the package, with a sour look on her face. There was a note from Mr. Ollivander, the man who sold Harry his wand. The note was short.

"Dear Mr. Potter, this wand was brought to me to repair. It once belonged to your mother. 10 ¼" long, made of willow, and Phoenix core." Harry gaped at the wand.

It was his mother's. Harry glanced at Ron and Hermione, who were watching him curiously.

"My mother's wand." He said softly. They gasped. He was torn. He wanted to start using this one, but knew he had to keep using his other wand, as it proved an advantage to help defeat Voldemort.

Snape seemed entranced by Harry's wand. Dumbledore had called Harry to his office.

"Sherbert Lemon." Harry said. The gargoyles jumped out of the way, and Harry made his way into the office. Dumbledore greeted Harry with a smile.

"I heard about Lily's wand." He said. Harry nodded. "I wanted to forewarn you of Snape." He added. Harry looked confused.

"I know you must have noticed Severus watching you after he saw the wand. Lily had been his first love, but she went with your father, and Snape was unable to move on." Dumbledore explained. Harry nodded.

"Oh, and Potter, don't go telling everyone." Dumbledore added. Harry turned.

"Did they go out?" He asked. Dumbledore shook his head.

"He called her mudblood, because everyone in Slytherin at that time was prejudiced. He was already bullied everywhere he went, and he took it out on her." Dumbledore explained.

Harry nodded again, and left the office. He was left thinking about this. Snape sat at his desk, staring at a picture from before he was at Hogwarts. It was of him and Lily. She held a flower in her hand, and was making it bloom.

He smiled weakly. One of her friends had taken it. He never had the photo bewitched. It was already perfect. She had a daisy in her hair, and a bit of dirt on her cheek. Yet she was perfect. Harry came into the office.

"Professor, can I talk to you?" He asked. Snae hastily hid the picture.

"What do you want, Potter?" He asked wearily.

"I wanted to talk about my mother." Harry said softly. Snape stared at him.

"Have a seat." He instructed.

"What was she like?" Harry asked.

"She was, the most brilliant witch of her time, and adept Potions master, and very kind. She would help anyone she could." Snape said softly, looking down.

"I know you blame yourself for what happened." Harry said gently. Snape looked up.

"It's not your fault you know. It was Peter's. He betrayed her. He betrayed them." Harry added.

Snape fought the tears welling in his eyes.

"I also thought you might like this." Harry added, pulling out her wand. Snape took it in his hands gingerly.

"You never got closure for what happened. I can't give you that, but I can give you this." Harry said.

"But, Potter. She was your mother." Snape whispered.

"She was your best friend." Harry replied.

Snape wiped his eyes.

"This means more to me than you could know." Snape whispered.

"We may not get on, but I can understand. My father was to you, what Malfoy is to me, if not a bit more extreme." Harry explained.

Snape looked up. "You understand?" He asked, and Harry nodded.

He stepped out of the office, as Snape gently set the wand on a display stand. He smiled softly.
To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
I just thought this was the most touching scene ever.

Fixed it!