Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Split POV in this one – Both Harry's and Severus' POV will happen simultaneously. Also, by the end of this chapter, we would have begun the last stage of one (of two) of the major arcs of this story. Getting there, folks! Thanks for sticking around on this long haul! Hope you enjoy this chapter! =)
CH 51: The Burden of War

 


"Sometimes we self-sabotage just when things seem to be going smoothly. Perhaps this is a way to express our fear about whether it is okay for us to have a better life. We are bound to feel anxious as we leave behind old notions of our unworthiness. The challenge is not to be fearless, but to develop strategies of acknowledging our fears and finding out how we can allay them."

- Maureen Brady


CHAPTER 51: The Burden of War

"Minerva, join me downstairs before I further lose my mind staring at these same four walls, " Severus suggested bitterly, as he clambered slowly up onto his shaky feet.

Minerva observed the man carefully, peering over her spectacles as if she were about to scold him, "Are you certain you'll be able to remain on your feet?"

"We shall soon discover that, won't we?"

The elderly witch gave a hmpf as she fixated her steely gaze upon the older Slytherin attempting to steady himself, "You really should be resting. Don't force my hand, Severus, or I'll have you silenced and body-binded in the time it takes you to say Gryffindor."

"Don't start, Minerva. We are simply going a floor below, not out for a leisurely stroll by the beach."

Since Harry and his group of teenage rebels departed barely an hour ago, Severus had been drifting in and out of sleep whilst Minerva scratched away over her parchments upon his desk by the wall. He always found the sound oddly soothing, and he could barely keep his eyes open long enough to hold any further conversation anyway. Not that Minerva minded at all. He had almost already reached his limit from his pain relievers, so the drowsiness emanating from that made remaining alert, a challenging task. From their dismal conversation earlier with Harry, Severus was a little more than emotionally spent at that point in time, and he was desperate to rest his mind even for a short time. It was bad enough having Minerva more or less watch him as humiliating as it could possibly get, but it seems even he didn't have any choice or say in the matter. He just couldn't get away from the Gryffindors even if he tried.

Severus had just returned from expelling the little stomach contents he had left, into the bathroom, leaving Minerva hovering by the door wondering if she should follow him inside to make sure he was alright. The Slytherin tried to down some of Kreacher's tomato soup earlier, but his stomach didn't quite agree with that idea. But upon finally cleaning himself up, Severus returned and suggested the pair of them go downstairs to the sitting room. Severus missed the freedom of leaving as he pleased, but even he was too worried to attempt solo Apparition for fear of splinching himself horribly. Death wouldn't be so merciful if he lay in a mess of gruesome body parts for the unfortunate soul to stumble upon.

It was a cautious trip down the rickety staircase, and Severus tried to move as slowly as he could tolerate, but his legs felt far too much like jelly. He constantly felt physically weak, and his energy levels were low, but he was in desperate need for a change in scenery being so incredibly frustrated by the sight of his own quarters. He had seen far too much of it in the last few months, as his illness rendered him too sick to move on most recent days. Despite the man's stubborn protests, Minerva ended up grabbing hold of Severus' arm halfway down, as the man had to pause several times to re-gain his bearings at times when the dizziness hit him so suddenly. But he pressed forward, and eventually, they made it to the sitting room where Severus collapsed back into his usual armchair as he had just completed a marathon. Minerva swiftly activated the fireplace, when Severus was overcome by a sudden onset of chills, even despite the warm summer evening outside. Once Minerva made sure Severus was comfortable, she gave him a blanket and sat down opposite to him, bundling up her favorite black robes as she did so.

The elderly witch glanced skyward, to find the enchanted ceiling of scarlet and purple clouds during dusk, floating above peacefully amongst a barely visible moon, "The enchantment was a nice touch, Severus."

Severus clutched the blanket tightly around him, amidst another bitter cold shiver, "I was mostly surprised that my own magic allowed me as such."

"Remember that snowstorm in 1989, a few days prior to Christmas Eve? Completely decimated half the feast. Poor Albus had to deal with the unimpressed House Elves, " Minerva reminisced, as a gleam of amusement shone in her bright blue eyes.

"I remember that evening quite clearly considering I was tasked to reset the enchantment and clean up the disastrous mess alongside you, while he dealt with that. I recall Filius being equally as livid as the Elves."

Minerva chuckled, "I am quite certain that is the first instance I've ever heard him address that issue with, err…colorful expletives."

"Despite being aware of the chaos, Albus seemed to find it all rather amusing. "

Christmas was usually one of Severus' least favorite holidays, as he never did become accustomed to the festive cheer and celebratory aspects of it. He never really celebrated it properly growing up, as a family typically should. His parents usually managed to salvage a used Christmas tree from somewhere else due to their poverty as they could not afford much, and Severus would sometimes find scraps of tinsel and old and sometimes broken, decorations to add to it. Even to go as far as saving spare change that he could find to buy a brand-new silver glittered star for the tree. Although, many of their Christmas dinners involved his father getting disgustingly drunk, ruining the holiday, so after that Severus never grew to have fond memories of it as a family. Well, apart from the one time spending a Christmas with Lily of course, before Hogwarts. The first Christmas he spent with the Evans family far surpassed every other, even despite her sister Petunia disapproving of him showing up on that one instance. At least her parents were kind and hospitable, and Lily's gift was the first gift anyone ever truly gave him.

But all of a sudden, the thought of Christmas seemed like a saddened affair. He didn't even show up for Christmas dinner during his stint as the malevolent Headmaster last year, and the previous one was the last he spent with his colleagues. Before everything truly went sour. And yet now he realised, he may not even make it until Christmas this year, or even in the light of the new year. He never cared about Christmas before, but with new this macabre perspective, the reality of it hit him harder than it should have. Suddenly, he felt a strange longing for being around his colleagues during the festive time of year, and if strangeness further encompassed him, even the students in all their usual cheer gave Severus an odd sense of belonging. Even if the students saw him as the Christmas Scrooge, which Severus often took as a compliment.

Minerva paused for a few moments, as her fond reminiscent expression turned serious, "I do miss his unwavering optimism. Albus always knew exactly what to say, when you needed to hear it."

"Despite his tongue twisting in riddles majority of the time, " Severus's lips curled, resentfully.

The elderly witch released a tired sigh, "I know his well, methods, were rather skewed. But he was never malicious, Severus. I agree he should have considered other alternatives, however…what's done, is done."

Severus raised an eyebrow, "We had many arguments pertaining to such methods, Minerva. I daresay even you would have been protesting as much as I."

"Well, if either of you had ever bothered to include me in this infamous grand plan, perhaps I may have, " Minerva shook her head, with annoyance clear across her face. She did look a little wounded by the idea of being left out of something so significant, especially in regard to Albus', whom she was dearly close with.

"Believe me, I had wished you did. Would have saved me the stress of dealing with it myself. Again, it was Albus' decision, not mine, " Severus glanced apologetically at Minerva, "You of all people, should have been a part of it. You were close to Albus, in far different ways than I was."

"Perhaps that is why he chose not to confide in me. My emotions regarding Potter would have likely clouded my judgment, " Minerva folded her hands neatly on her lap, and looked at Severus quite sombrely, "I apologise, Severus - I did not mean to bring Albus up. Only when you lose someone, do you realise how much you truly miss them."

Severus sighed, "The bitter truth."

…Lily.

Minerva paused to study the disheartened man before her, before the corner of her mouth twitched to a small smile, "I'm proud of you, you know."

Severus suddenly looked repulsed and somewhat shocked, "What bloody for? Don't start with the vile falsifying accolades, Minerva. I'm in no mood."

"Mind your forked-tongue. Good heavens, can you not stand a compliment or two?"

"Clearly not."

Minerva pursed her lips together, sternly, "How on earth does Potter put up with you?"

"Without a sliver of choice, it seems, " Severus cast away the blanket he had wrapped around himself, feeling the immediate warmth from the fireplace which had become a little too effective. It didn't take much these days to warm his thinned, frail form, but he was relieved the teeth-chattering shivers that had begun earlier, had now ceased. He was reluctant to begin brewing Pepper-up Potions, as he didn't need another medicinal potion to become reliant on. Call it stubbornness, but his body was filled mostly with potions, rather than anything remotely nutritional. Running on nauseating emptiness was bad enough.

"There's always a choice, Severus. You both chose – Is that not validating enough?" Minerva questioned honestly. She appeared in disbelief and she pursued the questioning as calmly as she could, "You had always acted like he was a menace. You chose to ignore who he truly was, even if the rest of us tried for years to convince you, otherwise."

"I am painfully aware."

"…Then what's changed?"

"The boy, Minerva! The boy has changed everything, " Severus snapped, a little too harshly.

"You and I both know he is no longer a boy. He is not the same child who began at Hogwarts all those years ago - " Minerva shook her head, " - Merlin forbid, you seem to still have the notion that change is such a terrible thing. Embrace it, Severus, dear. Allow it to happen – I assure you; it will help rather than hinder."

Severus glanced hopelessly at the older witch. She couldn't possibly understand, as much as he tried to tell her. It wasn't that simple. He was never well-equipped for change, especially when that change meant developing a newfound connection with the Boy Who Lived. The Chosen One. The reason the boy was named as such, was because of him in the first place. And yet no one else seemed to understand the devastation and inner turmoil that caused within Severus himself – He was not expecting this to happen. Or planned to. It was even a part of the agreement with Albus when he accepted the ultimate defection and undercover role that Albus had offered him in wake of Severus' plea over the safety of the Potter's. He specifically told Albus not to tell anyone why he was doing this because it was far too personal. To dedicate the rest of your life to protect the son of the woman you loved, and the son of your greatest tormentor, was not simple by any means. It wounded Severus deeply to be so horribly conflicted. Perhaps there could have been some latitude if he were not the son of Potter, but regardless, he could not risk growing close with the boy. Hatred was the best way he could keep his distance, and so it made it incredibly easy that James Potter was the driving force of his loathing upon the boy – which was unfair at times – but necessary.

There could not be any other way.

And now? The Dark Lord is finally vanquished. He grew closer to Harry after his demise, despite his persistence about not allowing himself to do such a thing. He developed an unforeseen bond with him, and now it cannot be reversed unless he was more than prepared to hurt them both. And of all the dark feats he had performed in this pitiful role to the Dark Lord over the years, that was one thing he was not willing to do. The thought of further wounding Harry terrifies him more than he ever cared to admit. He remembered the night he had to end Albus' life – The look of disgust, utmost loathing, and repulsion upon Harry's face when he performed the terrible deed when confronted by him were enough to want to throw himself off the Astronomy Tower. Since that night, he struggled to erase the look of severe disappointment from the boy's face, within his mind.

He had never hated himself more than he did in that very moment.

He thought of Harry out there in Hogsmeade with his friends at that point in time, hoping above all else, that there were no other disastrous mishaps. Severus was useless enough without most of his magic, and what if he were hurt again, and he could not fix him this time? He hated not being able to be there to lend his assistance. They needed others there – those more experienced than they were. Severus knew that they were skilled with the Patronus, and one of them would have sent a distress message if they were in trouble. He tried to take that into consideration, but he was not satisfied enough with that thought as dread filled his stomach. Harry was still under his protection – Severus' own obligation - and yet he was not fit enough for such a blasted task.

He had never felt this pathetic before.

Succumbed by his innermost thoughts ripping away at his mind, Severus slowly rose up from his chair and stumbled to the windowsill, desperate to block the concerned gaze of his friend sitting across from him. He allowed his own tired eyes to focus on the small park across the street, waiting for Harry and his friends to Apparate safely under the protection of the night sky and back within his view. He was losing hope. He felt like he was drowning in the sickening feeling within his stomach, and he couldn't swim to the surface because something else was anchoring him down. The Slytherin leaned over the windowsill with a shuddered exhale, feeling his chest constrict with a pain he felt no familiarity with.

Why this? Why now? …I can't deal with this.

Severus closed his eyes, feeling them burn as they welled up with tears he could not fight against.

"I know you care deeply for him now, Severus. There is no need to hide that from me. Not anymore, " Minerva spoke gently, almost too afraid to stir the solemn silence within the room except the sound of the crackling fire beside them, "I understand how difficult this must be now, especially as you've spent so many years with such animosity against him. And now, for it to turn entirely on its head…Please do not harbor such hatred for yourself because of your change in heart, now. Good heavens, be kinder to yourself."

Severus angrily turned around on his heel to face her, feeling the room spin slightly as he did so, "Minerva, I cannot protect him any longer! Look at me! Death would come for me the moment I step out of that front door – Death himself would be laughing at the pitiful fool I've become. I cannot be the person Harry needs. I failed him - "

" - Nonsense. Potter is not just relying on you for your strength. He values you in far more other ways, more than you even realise, " Minerva gently reassured, "You've both come so far, despite what you've had to face. You know, the day I returned to the Headmaster's office, was the first time I faced Albus since his death. Once I told him what you had done, he cried, Severus. When I told him you and Potter survived, he cried. He is as proud of you as I am."

Severus shook his head, not wanting to hear any more of it, "I have no strength left. Harry has seen all of my worst memories…My personal ones…I cannot reverse it. I gave him my memories out of desperation because I was prepared to meet my end. At that point, it didn't matter, but now…"

"And best, from what I've been told. You allowed him to finally see the goodness in you, even when you don't believe in it yourself."

"GoodnessWhat goodness, Minerva?" Severus turned back to the window in time for a single small tear to trail down his gaunt cheek, "I cannot forget what I did to him…How I treated him under my wing... I'm not proud of what I did, or the things I've said to him out of spite over the years…" He stopped himself in time to detect a painful waver in his own voice, as he reached out a tremoring hand against the windowsill to steady himself. He couldn't continue. He couldn't simply brush his past actions away. Harry may have not thought much of them, but he did. He was hurt by his own actions – His own terrible choices. And they would forever haunt him.

"He forgives you. What more could you possibly ask for?" Minerva was gentle still in her response, and he knew she was trying so desperately hard for him to see the light. But Severus struggled to see even that, as darkness was all he knew. It was all he was familiar with. The Slytherin heard a shuffle on the floorboards behind him, and soon realised that Minerva was approaching him by the window, "Seventeen years, and you still blame yourself for what happened…Lily would have forgiven you, too."

He shook his head, as his bottom lip twitched, "…I don't deserve forgiveness…Not after all the horrific things I've done…" Severus' voice was hoarse, and he began to choke upon his words, causing him to become so frustrated with the lack of control with himself. He felt a warm, comforting hand rest on his back, causing another tear to fall like a trigger.

He was losing it…His mind…Everything…Lost... His bleak shadowed world was shattering around him, and there was nothing he could do to stop it this time. He tried so hard, but he simply couldn't stop this terrible feeling from rising within him. He was never destined for a good life – It was a painful realisation he had come to accept.

Minerva then placed her firm hands on his shoulders, and turned him gently around to find a tear-stained ivory-white face staring powerlessly back at her, "…Oh, Severus…Come here…"

Severus didn't fight it this time, as he leaned forward to place his head on Minerva's shoulder, feeling her surprisingly strong arms wrap around his rigid form. He allowed his arms to remain dropped by his side, leaning into the embrace he had been fighting her against, for weeks. He cried silently against her, feeling several struggled gasps in a feeble attempt to quell the powerful, built-up sobs rising within him. His tears began to soak into her black robes, but Severus was too heartbroken to care. Minerva whispered to him gently, echoing words of comfort and wisdom that she knew best, and suddenly, Severus felt like a child once more clinging to her in lost hope. Like a child being soothed by a parent, the way they should be. Not condemned, screamed at, and whipped routinely with a belt amongst a drunken stupor, while your mother was too helpless to intervene.

Severus never truly had this.

Minerva continued to rub his back, as he too, felt the woman's own tears soak into his raven hair until he finally completed the embrace. Despite his shaky hands, he raised his arms and wrapped them carefully around the older witch, returning the embrace he clearly needed more practice with. Suddenly the weight of everything going on crashed over his shoulders once more like a tidal wave. The heaviness was more evident on the surface of his heart. But at least now, he didn't have to carry that burden alone this time. Not unlike the lonely and desolate path Albus had sent him on.

"You see? That's not so bad, is it, Severus?" Minerva's tearful voice was muffled against his shoulder.

He gave a tearful snort, "…Don't flatter yourself, " Severus pulled away from her, as he shamefully looked away with a tear-stained face.

Minerva comfortingly squeezed his shoulders once more, as she finally let go of her soothing hold leaving Severus strangely longing for that reassuring warmth again. She wore a proud smile like a mother would upon a child taking their first steps, or speaking their first words, or receiving high grades at school…Severus always had high respect for Minerva, and she was somewhat of a mentor when he first began teaching at Hogwarts. She was always kind, even to the bitter old Potion's Master in the dungeons. She always made time for him, even during the multiple times he would dismiss her attempts because he found his own comfort in being alone. But like many others, he had no choice but to distance himself from his colleagues. It was the only way to make his role believable with the dreaded mission he was tasked with, and that destroyed him immensely. She was hurt by him, too.

Before either of them could speak another word, a glowing silvery ball of light appeared in the center of the room, which immediately distorted itself to take the form of a horse. The horse itself galloped around the room until it settled before them.

" - I believe that is Miss Weasley's Patronus, " Minerva let out a small gasp, as she exchanged worried glances with Severus.

The horse opened its mouth, and Minerva was right – It began to speak in Ginny's familiar voice, "Hogsmeade under attack. Parvati was taken. Harry disappeared into the Forest. Need help." As soon as the message was delivered, the horse disappeared in wisps of silver light, soon disappearing into nothingness.

"Minerva – " Severus began to speak, but was immediately silenced. His heart sunk deeper within his chest.

The elderly witch dismissed Severus' pleas with a finite glare, "You are to remain here. I will go and investigate immediately."

"Allow me – "

"No, Severus! You are in absolutely no state. I will ensure that you remain, " Minerva turned to call Kreacher's name, as the House Elf teleported directly in front of them glancing up at the witch eagerly.

"How may I assist, friend of Master Potter?" Kreacher croaked.

"My departure has been requested immediately. Upon Potter's orders, you are to ensure Severus here does not leave this property, understood?"

Kreacher bowed his head slightly, "Master Potter has indeed informed me of such an order in case this were to happen. I will see to it that he does not leave."

"Good. Thank you."

Severus's mouth gaped open as if he'd just been slapped, "I will not be forced to remain! Harry is in danger – "

Minerva turned back to look at him disapprovingly, "This is not up for discussion. I will find him on your behalf. Stay here, and I will return as soon as I am able." The elderly witch then strode off out of the room without another word, black robes billowing behind her, and left Grimmauld Place immediately. Severus heard the front door slam shut.

Severus was left with the House Elf, who simply gawked up at him in the same place he was summoned. Again, he felt helpless. He should be there, not trapped within the encompassing walls owned by the house of Black, dying slowly. He would have been able to silence his old comrades with ease and put an end to them before they hurt another. And now they have captured one of the Patil twins – One of his ex-students. They were picking them off one by one.

He found himself pacing the room for a few agonising minutes until he realised how much precious energy was sapped from him. His face was still wet with tears, as he collapsed back into the armchair, and buried his head in his hands.

The waiting was always the worst.


In wake of the disastrous DA meeting earlier, Harry and - whoever amongst the DA were keen to help - met in the entrance hallway of Grimmauld Place going through a brief plan of action. Some of the members were still a little cautious of Harry as if they were expecting his fuse to begin crackling and explode in a fury again before their eyes. Their hesitation amongst his presence was more than a little annoying, and by that point, Harry didn't care if he still looked mad. He still was, so why should he pretend otherwise? It wasn't justified or appropriate for Seamus to become so hostile as he did, and how else were they going to expect Harry to deal with that? There was no way that Seamus would be able to handle everything that Harry was at that point, and if Harry didn't take a stand, no one would.

Despite those bubbling emotions fuelling his drive, Harry sent designated pairs to each side of Hogsmeade. Dean and Katie were stationed on the west side, closest to the train station. George and Angelina monitored the north side, behind Zonko's. Ron, Luna, and Hermione took the south side, by the owl post. Leaving Harry and Ginny to occupy the east side, closer to Dervish and Bange's. Each pair were stationed at their assigned forest line or location obscured enough away from any potential onlookers. Using the forest as cover worked in their favor.

Harry had sent Draco off first, who later met up with Ginny and himself once they arrived. He reinforced their discussion upon not screwing this up again and made sure the Slytherin was well aware not to do anything reckless as he did before. Harry's friends didn't even know that he was injured the night prior, and he'd much rather keep it that way. McGonagall had previously discussed with Harry that, for any reason, they needed extra reinforcements, that she would be the first port of call. With that thought easing his mind, he made his way there with Ginny by his side.

It was almost pitch-black, except for the pale glow of the crescent moon above, shrouded by only a few passing clouds. Clutching his Invisibility Cloak tightly within his grasp, Harry and Ginny stationed themselves in the same location Harry and Draco were previously the night before. From their position, Harry noticed that there were four Aurors wandering around the village, however, he recognised neither of them. He had to wonder what happened to those stationed before, but a sickening feeling told him that he'd rather not find out. He felt guilty enough for leaving as they did, but he and Draco would have been absolutely useless and would have faced far bigger problems had they stayed.

Almost an hour in pure silence passed, and still no change. They had seen nothing out of the ordinary, as they remained focused on the same quadrant of Aurors circling around in a military, unified fashion. Harry wished they had a better line of communication with the others, like a magical walkie-walkie, or something equally as useful. Maybe he could pose that idea with George sometime because it could really come in handy to have an alternative form of communication that didn't involve sending Patronus' along the battleground giving away their position, and identities.

"…Well, this is uneventful, " Draco whispered, crouching beside them, as he kept his eyes peeled ahead.

Ginny rolled her eyes, "Please don't jinx it."

"I would have left already to scout ahead, but I don't want to leave you with Malfoy, " Harry responded, quietly.

"Oi!" Draco hissed.

"I'm sure I could put up with him, " Ginny smirked as she turned to Harry, "Want me to take the Cloak and wander around instead?"

Harry immediately shook his head. He didn't like that idea, and the thought of having her wander off alone sent shivers down his spine, "No, it's fine. We'll wait a little longer."

Draco looked repulsed, "I just had to be the third bloody wheel. Disgusting."

"Just shut up, and pay attention, will you?" Harry hissed, as he kept his eyes peeled ahead. They needed to be extra careful this time, and he wasn't about to allow Draco to ruin it again. The Slytherin was admittedly a strong and resourceful wizard but working with others was not a strong virtue of his. That much was plainly obvious.

Ginny suddenly turned to look behind them, beyond the forest, and by the startled look on her face, Harry was almost too scared to ask. She glanced back at Harry, and he noticed her breathing was elevated in nervousness. "I heard something…back there…Or else, I thought I did."

Harry frowned, "Like what?"

"I-I'm not entirely sure. It could very well be a breeze that blew through. Although, I hope it is."

Draco appeared deep in thought, "The silence is indeed rather concerning."

"Maybe they decided to bail because they anticipated us being here?" Harry wondered although he wasn't entirely convinced of that himself, "We're probably waiting for nothing. Or just another one of their stupid decoys, so they attack somewhere else instead. Won't be the first time."

The Slytherin merely shook his head, "They won't pass up the opportunity." He turned to look behind them in the forest and tried his best to squint within the shadows concealing them in all directions, "I get the feeling we are in the wrong place."

"The others would have known that was the case – " Ginny said, but was cut off by a frightening sound –

It was a piercing scream, which seemed to reverberate all around them. It sounded distant, yet so painfully close. The sound wasn't loud enough to pierce their eardrums, but it was enough to give Harry goosebumps and causing his own hair to stand on end. It wasn't a voice he recognised. The three of them exchanged confused glances but remained silent for any additional sound. All that could be heard, however, was the light rustling of the trees amongst the light summer night breeze. Harry looked back towards Hogsmeade and noticed the four Aurors had stopped in their tracks with their wands raised high. They had convened in the village center by the old well, looking around for the source of the noise. It was clear to Harry that he wasn't going crazy, and that they heard it too. He had to wonder if the others did, as well.

And yet, still no sign of the enemy.

Even Draco looked worried, "They're messing with us. They know."

"So, what are your thoughts?" Harry asked.

"With or without expletives?"

"The simple version will do."

Draco paused for a moment, "To be honest, staying in one place isn't doing us a whole lot of good. I reckon they are hiding somewhere in the forest. Likely watching us."

The color drained from Harry's face, "Great."

Ginny looked nervously behind her again, "…Do you think we should move?"

Draco sighed, "I think it might be too late for that - " He turned to Harry and Ginny, " - Put the Cloak on. Just in case."

Without thinking twice, Harry flung the Invisibility Cloak over himself and Ginny feeling the comfort and security of the concealment it gave them. Both waited silently, scared to move for fear of disturbing the dried leaves underneath their feet. He felt Ginny's hand clasp his, waiting anxiously together.

But a few minutes later, they heard the strange scream again, this time the sound came from the distance. Harry had the urge to bolt, to see who the voice belonged to, but he knew that would not be a wise decision. Up ahead, he could see the Aurors talking amongst themselves, possibly deciding on the next move, much like they were. Suddenly, they saw a flash of red light, followed by a yellow one over on the northern side, where George and Angelina were currently stationed.

Then they heard the scream again, this time on the other far side of the village. It didn't make any mode of sense, but it was clear to them that Draco was right – They were taunting them.

Upon looking back to the village center, he saw two Aurors – a young woman and a middle-aged man - sprint over to where George and Angelina were, whilst keeping their wands defensively raised. The three of them watched as the Aurors engaged when suddenly, a duel broke out. Bursting out of the forest were two large Acromantulas and three Death Eaters who began to attack the Aurors, along with George and Angelina. Harry rose up, about to join them, when Draco's arm shot out to stop him.

"Oi, wait!" Draco spoke, in a harsh whisper.

Harry was becoming increasingly impatient the longer they waited, "They are getting attacked! We have to go –"

"Potter, wait, will you?! If we all go over there, then we are screwed if we leave this side open…"

"We're screwed anyway, aren't we?" Ginny added, "I'm going – My brother is there! They need our help!"

Harry and Ginny looked at each other after a nod of silent confirmation, and without waiting for another second, both bolted towards their intended location, with Draco calling out "Idiots!" as they went. The others were in trouble, and they weren't about to watch them while they try and defend themselves against dark wizards, and now Acromantula's. He thought Hagrid had mentioned that the Acromantula's retreated after the battle at Hogwarts, but it seems as if a few stray ones remained at the Death Eater's disposal.

Harry tore the Cloak off them and tucked it within his back pocket as he ran, for fear of it getting blown off into the wind. As they rushed over, they watched as one of the Acromantula's were blasted onto its back by a spell from one of the Aurors, leaving its legs clawing wildly in the air, whilst one of the Death Eaters engaged in a heated duel against George and Angelina.

Harry raised his wand, and fired an Incendio Charm at the other Acromantula, as a jet of flames emitted from his wand, hurling a ball of fire at the large car-sized creature. The giant spider was instantly set alight, but the other Acromantula, once it finally clambered back on its legs, fired a string of web at the other Auror who became instantly encased. The man soon fell to the floor tearing wildly at his sticky bindings. Harry raced towards the fallen Auror, as Ginny bolted past him to join her brother in the fight, wand held high over her head.

Harry used a Severing Charm to cut through the now hardening webs, as he began to frantically free him. The lanky, silver-haired man looked at Harry as if he suddenly grew an extra head, "Harry Potter? The Harry Potter?! What the bloody hell are you doing here?"

"Err, calvary. You'll need it, " Harry responded, as the Auror got back onto his feet, "No time to explain."

"Blimey, well, your timing couldn't be better. Madness, this is!" The Auror gave Harry a small salute in gratitude, before sprinting back to his comrade's side.

Harry peered around to the other side of Hogsmeade, to find Hermione, Luna, and Ron engaging in their own fight with several Death Eaters on their end, whilst Dean and Katie were tackling a horde of Dementors who had just entered the battlefield. Their non-corporeal Patronus' was enough to repel the six skeletal wraiths homing in on their position, but Harry was far too occupied to run over to assist them.

Suddenly, things got completely way out of hand.

Squinting through the pale lamplight lining the residential streets of Hogsmeade away from the main shopfronts along Main Street, he saw some of the locals blearily exiting their homes to the sounds of curses and wayward jinxes exploding all around them. It didn't take long for them to discover that they were being attacked. Some of the witches and wizards, young and old, withdrew their wands. Some were still adored in their pajamas and nightgowns, those of which appeared as if they had just rolled out of their beds. They were willing to defend this village with everything they had. The commotion upon the battle around the village was enough to stir another fight within them, as they immediately ran to the aid of the Aurors and their allies.

As the locals began to engage, he noticed Aberforth at the helm, which had Harry quite relieved to see. Amongst them, he also saw Madam Rosmerta and a few other shopkeepers residing in the village, holding their wands high and firing return spells as they went. Some had even begun to place shields around their homes to increase their defenses. Harry counted at least fifteen willing fighters, and that was enough for him to feel a little more confident with their situation.

The Auror was right. It was utter madness.

Once he managed to recollect his thoughts in the heat of the moment, Harry soon raced over towards Ginny, who had collectively driven the Death Eater away, alongside her brother and Angelina.

"They just Apparated away – " Ginny said breathlessly, as Harry rushed over to them.

Angelina looked slightly flustered, "We kept hearing strange voices. Did you hear it too? I think there are more in the forest."

Harry nodded, "Yeah, we heard the same thing – "

Just as Harry looked back over to the village center, he watched in horror as several plumes of vivid purple and black smoke were suddenly doused within the village center, thrown over like sticks of dynamite. The thick smoke itself appeared to expand, filling every available space it could as it traveled alongside the breeze which carried it further. Some of the residents screamed in fright as they took refuge in some of the shopfronts, desperate to escape the toxic vapors descending quickly upon them.

Draco was right again – They were using Hogsmeade as a test run.

Bastards!

The four of them exchanged concerned glances, as they immediately raced towards the village center to help dispel it. Some of the residents were coughing and spluttering, as two of them fell over with lungs burning and skin slowly singing. The wafting scent of searing flesh was enough to make Harry want to hurl, but it was with great effort to quell that sickening feeling within him as he went. He couldn't believe what was happening.

Harry raised his wand over his head, and flourished it in a sweeping, circular motion, "Halitus Evanesca!" Dull yellow sparks emitted from the tip of his wand, as the toxic fumes began to slowly melt away and dissipate. He felt his eyes start to water, but he tried his best to keep away from the thick of it. Some of the locals had watched as he performed the spell, and they too began to imitate it desperately. One by one, some of the locals who weren't already affected by it, began to cast the counterspell. However, they were not fast enough as the fumes began to spread far quicker than Harry anticipated. He saw a young man collapse at the corner of his sight, but he could not get any nearer to help. Ginny tapped her wand over herself and Harry, and cast a Bubblehead Charm, encasing their heads with a transparent bubble, enabling them to block out the fumes and breathe clearer. But Harry felt a sudden sting as he looked below, and noticed a slight burn appearing on his skin. Ginny noticed it too, as her own skin was beginning to develop the same rash-like mass, which felt more like a sunburn. They both looked at each other in horror, and Harry immediately grabbed her hand tightly and pulled her back far away from the fumes.

"N-Now what do we do?!" Ginny was too much in shock over the situation to think clearly. Harry had only wished he had an answer, or at least, a solution that wouldn't get them killed.

Harry looked over to the other side to find his friends struggling to douse the fumes in the same way he was. This was not good. Digging into his side jean pocket he retrieved the DA coin and activated it immediately with a distress signal, in a bid for reinforcements. Death Eaters were still attacking them from behind, forcing them further into the Hogsmeade death trap. Harry glanced at his skin again, and much to his relief, had stopped burning. He guessed the longer the exposure, the worse they would be. If he were in there for long enough, this toxic gas could singe right through their skin like the others. It was a disgusting thought, but it wasn't surprising to know how far these enemies would go. They will need copious amounts of burn salve when this night was over, one way or another.

Harry felt a nudge on his shirt behind him and spun around to find a Draco looking extremely perturbed and winded.

"Potter – I found their base – " Draco spoke between breaths, " – There's another five in the forest - "

"I've called for reinforcements. Whatever you do, don't go near the fumes, " Harry warned.

"This stuff is pretty nasty, " Ginny said, "We can hold back the fumes, but the burns are horrible."

Harry looked beyond Draco's shoulder, to find the Patil twins Apparating within their vicinity, along with Hannah, Susan, and much to his surprise, Seamus. He watched the new reinforcements enter the fight; Some of them engaged in a duel with the nearest Death Eaters, as the remainder of them ran towards the village center to clear the noxious fumes. Harry could see that the fumes were dissipating, but only slightly. He watched as Hannah Abbott drop down towards a fallen young wizard, tending to his injuries as best she could. But there were a few others who appeared along with them, who Harry thought had long since abandoned the DA. It was Cho Change and Dennis Creevey. But they weren't the only appearances who caught Harry by surprise. He looked over at the other side, and saw Arthur and Molly, alongside Percy, Bill, and Fleur battling away at their own band of Death Eaters, keeping them occupied. Rubeus Hagrid, with Professor Vector, had also entered the battlefield alongside Hermione, Ron, and Luna, blasting enemies away with his umbrella.

Draco turned back to Harry, "I also saw one of the Carrows…Amycus. He's with Dolohov and Selwyn."

Ginny's hazel eyes grew wide upon the spoken name.

"Where?!" Harry asked, desperately.

"By the base in the Forest. Let's flank 'em – "

"Harry, no!" Ginny exclaimed, "Stay here. They'll only keep coming for us!"

Draco clutched his wand tightly within his grasp, "Well, they seem to be running the show. We take them out, then they retreat like wounded animals."

Harry paused in an attempt to gather his thoughts and ponder on it frantically for a few precious moments. With a wince, he nodded, and turned back to Ginny who read his expression immediately, "Malfoy and I will investigate. Ginny, please stay here. Go with George, we won't be long okay? I've got the Cloak. If we're not back in fifteen minutes, send for McGonagall."

"Harry, seriously!"

"No, Ginny…Stay with the others!"

Ginny bit her lip, looking conflicted, but eventually, she nodded. She reached over to Harry, to give him a quick hug, before sprinting over to join the others.

"Very touching, Potter. Now keep up!" Draco didn't wait around for too long until turning on his heel sharply and bounding towards the forest.

Harry ran blindly in a bid to keep up with the elusive Slytherin until the sounds of the battle behind them were masked by the dense trees surrounding them. He really couldn't believe he was doing this, but it was a risk he was willing to take. He knew of all people, Antonin Dolohov was one of the mastermind ringleaders of the last Death Eaters, so the thought of taking one of them out was too good of an opportunity to pass up. There were enough people left behind at Hogsmeade to douse the rest of the fumes and hold the others off, so both Harry and Draco took the chance to pursue the more important enemies.

Draco's run halted to a quick stop, with Harry nearly plowing behind him, distracted by everything that was happening and running rampant through his mind. The Slytherin grabbed the Gryffindor painfully by a fistful of his shirt and pulled him roughly down to the ground. Harry ducked behind the thick of one of the maple trees and squinted in the dark towards the shrouded clearing ahead. He wanted desperately to cast Lumos so he could see, but that would do more harm than good at that time. Instead, the pair of them waited in the darkness yet again.

The sounds of the fight were now almost dulled to nothing, as the trees surrounded them muted all other external sounds. However, there were new sounds up ahead. Draco pointed to a spot in the clearing, where Harry followed his line of sight. Up ahead, he could see four unmasked Death Eaters. Draco was right again – Dolohov, Carrow, and Selwyn were there. He couldn't make out the fourth one as his back was facing them, but it didn't matter. They had their targets on sight, and that was enough for them. The four enemies were huddled in a group, chatting amongst themselves. But they started to get a little heated in conversation, causing one of them to begin pacing around, kicking the ground around him with a dirt-caked heeled boot. Someone was angry.

Harry looked at Draco, nodding together, hoping above all else that the Slytherin had the same idea. Pulling out the Cloak, he threw it back around him and began to slowly make his way around the clearing to gain a better vantage point, as Draco went in the opposite direction. Harry glanced skywards as a precaution, and much to his relief, no Dementors this time. However, many of them were at their disposal, and all were likely already on the battlefield. One less thing to deal with. The Gryffindor began to inch quietly around the clearing, clasping the Cloak around him like a lifeline. In the distance, he watched Draco carefully making his way around until both teenagers were aligned in the edge of the center. They obviously hadn't really discussed this plan of action but catching them off guard was as good of an idea as any. As Draco was unable to see him, Harry knelt down to eagerly await the first move. He'll let Draco have the honors of that, as he knew them better than he did.

He watched as Draco slowly raised his wand, waiting for the right moment to attack. He wasn't sure what he was waiting for exactly, but Harry was getting nervous with each passing moment. His heart thumped painfully in his chest, and it felt so loud that the possibility of the sound giving them away made him nervous. Instead, Harry held his breath.

Suddenly the tip of Draco's wand glowed; his lips moved soundlessly, as the ground underneath the Death Eaters began to crumble under their feet. The stones and the earth began to shift, shaking more violently with each second, causing the enemies to lose their balance, with one of them toppling over, confused as to what was happening. Dust and leaves kicked up in the disturbance, as Harry heard one of the enemies swearing loudly.

…Hell of a cue.

Harry peered around from his hiding spot at the exact same time Draco did, and immediately they engaged in a duel against the four distracted Death Eaters. As first the enemies were bewildered, they gradually began to realise what was happening. Immediately, they spotted Draco and began to unleash devastating spells towards him, as each hit the tree beside him with such a tremendous force. The tree shook violently from the impact, but Draco peered out again and fired back. Since Harry was still partially invisible, Harry flanked the Death Eaters from behind, completely catching them off guard and confusing them further. Harry fired a stunning spell at Dolohov, which collided in mid-air with one of his hexes initiating a small, unexpected explosion in mid-air. Harry followed up with a disarming spell towards him, but he threw up a Shield Charm just in time.

Harry flickered his wand outwards sharply, "Stupefy!" The red sparks flew from his wand, crashing into the tree inches away from Selwyn, causing Dolohov to fire back immediately. Harry threw himself down to the forest floor in time to avoid the oncoming curse, and once he was low enough, he shouted another stunning curse, which hit Selwyn on the shoulder, causing him to be knocked right off his feet. The Death Eater scrambled to get up from the ground, and in those few seconds, Harry threw up his own Shield Charm, repelling the curse that Dolohov had fired at him. The spell ricochets off and hit the ground at Carrow's feet, distracting him as Draco fired a curse which hit him with such force, that the wand flew right out of his hand. Harry turned around to face Selwyn once again, leaving Draco to fire back at the fourth Death Eater.

"Glacius impedimenta!" Harry flourished his wand sharply, as a jet of ice plummeted towards Selwyn, suddenly encasing him in ice once the powerful beam rippled through the clearing. The chill was instant, as he could see Dolohov cursing under his breath in disbelief. But just as Harry leaned back to cast another, his own wand suddenly sailed up from his hand, spinning over towards the bushes several feet away from him, and disappeared from view.

He was about to move forward to retrieve it, but Harry immediately felt a wand jab sharply against the side of his neck, and soon enough, he immensely dreaded this decision.

"Move, and I'll sever your flippin' head from your shoulders, Potter – " The huskiness of the voice behind him sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite place it, "You're a tricky one to find, aren't ya?"

Harry watched as Draco reached the same dilemma, as Dolohov jabbed his own wand menacingly at the now disarmed Slytherin. Draco's arms dropped helplessly to his side in defeat, looking absolutely furious. The scowl on his face was almost identical to his own.

"You idiots. Draco, I'm disappointed in you, " Dolohov growled, "Your precious father was always a weakling, so I'm not exactly surprised you turned out the same. I'm glad he is in Azkaban for good this time, and hope the maggots eat him alive." He chuckled at his own attempt at humor.

"There's that justice served, " Amycus Carrow interjected, as he twirled his own wand within his hands.

Draco scrunched up his face, "You lot are done for - " He glanced over to the Death Eater holding Harry, " - Macnair, I thought Voldemort got rid of you?"

Walden Macnair. Of course.

"That's Dark Lord to you, Malfoy!" Macnair responded, angrily.

"Tom Riddle is dead! I killed him, remember? " Harry added, not caring how much he was taunting them, "Or did you all forget?"

"How dare you speak ill of him, filth!" Dolohov walked up to Harry and suddenly hit him hard across the face. Harry felt an instant burn across his jaw, and he was quite certain he accidentally bit into his tongue, feeling a familiar metallic taste coat the inside of his mouth. His lip burned sharply, and he heard a tiny crack of his glasses, as his vision distorted briefly by the painful spots of light he could see instead, "Now, what to do with you?" Dolohov mused as he waved his wand as his ice-coated comrade, enabling the Freeze Spell to slowly reverse, freeing Selwyn from his frosty cage. Selwyn shivered violently for a moment and reached down to pick up his fallen wand, glaring venomously at Harry – wand itching to retaliate.

"So…How's Severus Snape these days? The traitor dropped dead yet? Rumour has it he's finally got one foot in the grave…Karma's a bitch, ain't it?" There was a disgusting chuckle from Macnair behind him, and Harry was awfully close to elbowing him in the groin just to shut him up. But he knew that would not bode well for either of them.

"You're just bitter he worked against you all these years, " Harry responded with an odd, controlled calmness, "He outsmarted all of you. Now, who are the idiots?" He felt the wand jab further into his neck, and he was almost certain that was going to leave a mark.

"So, what's your deal? Your plan sucks. We foiled it before you got to finish, so give up already, " Draco spat, "It's only a matter of time until Azkaban have you back within its loving arms once again. I'm sure they've kept your usual cells ready – "

" – You insolent cocky swine! Curb your tongue!" Dolohov roared but was suddenly cut off by his wand flying from his hands.

Bounding from beyond the trees was Professor McGonagall and Ginny who collectively cast Disarming Charms on two of the four Death Eaters. Giving that distraction, Harry finally did elbow Macnair in the groin once his wand left his hands, causing the man to double-over unexpectedly as Harry retrieved his own wand at the ground at the foot of the twisted tree. Draco did the same.

McGonagall stepped forward to face the two armed Death Eaters, suddenly engaging in a dangerous duel against them, whilst Harry and Draco attacked the other two in retaliation. The Headmistress swung her wand arm rather flawlessly over her head, as the roots under the forest floor began to rip away from the ground, grabbing hold of their lower limbs, as they fought back with their own array of dark spells to desperately free themselves. One of the Death Eaters fired the Killing Curse, which shot past McGonagall, and exploded at the tree beside her. Ginny quickly ducked out of the way, throwing herself onto the ground as it did so.

The Headmistress waved her wand again, sending a blue bolt of lighting from her wand, connecting with Selwyn's as his curse collided with hers. Both the witch and the Death Eater locked wands, as their magic combined pulsated through the clearing, zapping at the grounds around where they stood. Selwyn threw his wand up in an upwards motion, redirecting McGonagall's spell at the ground in front of her, causing a large flashbang of blinding light to distract them. The Headmistress stumbled back a few steps in recoil, but Selwyn took that opportunity to Apparate away instead of saving his own hide, with Macnair following soon behind.

"Glacius impedimenta!" Harry quickly fired the Freeze spell once more, encompassing Carrow from head to toe in ice, freezing him in place like a statue as he did with Selwyn. Frost cascaded down his immobilised state, like a sculpture on display at a Christmas carnival. Dolohov, soon realising they had been overpowered, Apparated quickly away as his cowardly comrades did before him.

Harry turned breathlessly to McGonagall, a little sheepishly, "Perfect timing, Professor."

She didn't look too impressed with him, "Yes, well, I received Miss Weasley's distress call just in time. We've barely managed to contain whatever concoction this lot was brewing, back at Hogsmeade."

Ginny ran immediately over to Harry and threw her arms over him into a tight embrace, but as she pulled away, she then slapped him on the shoulder, "That is for leaving when I told you not to! I told you so, didn't I?"

"Hey, okay!" Harry felt apologetic but didn't know why. The idea wasn't a total disaster, "We got one, didn't we?"

Ginny looked angry with him, "I see that, but that was still stupid of you! I thought at least the Slytherin would have thought this through."

"Hey! This was my idea!" Draco sneered, "Wasn't a total bust!"

"Alright, enough squabbling, " McGonagall cleared her throat amidst the teenage bickering, "The Aurors were able to detain two more Death Eaters. Several Hogsmeade residents were injured. No deaths. However poor miss Parvati Patil was disarmed and captured. Miss Johnson saw it happen and has since been consoling her poor sister."

Harry's heart seemed to drop further into his chest. Another one taken from them.

"Hate to cut the revises short, but we better whisk this one away before he thaws out, " Draco interrupted, eyeing the captive distastefully.

McGonagall looked over at the frozen Death Eater, looking slightly pleased with the state he was in, "Impressive handiwork, " She took several steps towards him, flourishing her wand swiftly, and a large black cloth wrapped itself over his head like a blindfold, for when the spell did revert. She flicked her wand again, and the man's own wand appeared in her possession. She held it up in her hand disgustingly, as if the weapon itself was cursed, "I think it's safe to bring him back to Grimmauld Place. The blindfold will remain once the counter-curse is activated. After Severus can extract what we need, we will send this madman to Azkaban where he belongs. I never want to see this vile excuse for a wizard, nor attack another student again."

Ginny agreed with a smirk, "I can agree with that."

As Harry and Draco prepared to Apparate away with their new captive, McGonagall accompanied Ginny back to others to see who else needed her aid at Hogsmeade in wake of the attack. It appeared as if the other enemies were called off, much to Harry's relief. Not a complete foil of a plan, but it could have gone far worse than it did. McGonagall had informed them that she would meet them back at Headquarters so she could be there to send him away when the time came. She was more than eager for the task.

Grabbing hold of the comically frozen statue of Amycus Carrow, Harry and Draco Disapparated back to Grimmauld Place with their unusual haul.

One step closer.