Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Morning Surprise

 

“Sir?” Harry asked, casually as he could manage. Their Occlumency lesson was over for the evening, but there was something he wanted to ask before he left. “If the dreams about the corridor in the Ministry ended after I learned to Occlude, does that mean they were visions too?”

“Unlikely,” Snape said, rounding his desk and sitting in his chair. “Their repetitive nature would indicate that they were likely the Dark Lord’s own dreams, not visions of actual events.”

“That’s what I thought,” Harry said, gritting his teeth. Voldemort couldn’t stop at ruining his waking reality; no, he even had to intrude on his dreams.

Snape, apparently hearing something in Harry’s tone, looked up sharply. “What are you planning?” he demanded. Harry slid back towards the door a few steps.

“Me? Planning?” Harry blinked repeatedly, eyebrows raised in innocent question. When the man only continued to glare, he only smiled and tapped his nose. “Turnabout knows no ‘Dark Lord’, Professor.” He was out the door before Snape could wring a full explanation out of him.


Cho Chang stifled a yawn with hand and sat next to her friend Marietta at the Ravenclaw table in the Great Hall. “Morning.”

“Hey, Cho, look at this.”

Cho glanced over at Terry Boot, who slid a copy of the Daily Prophet towards her. She glanced down and gasped. The front page was plastered with an image of a skull and snake glowering over a large building. She grabbed the paper and scanned the article below it.

 

Attack on Chocolate Frog Card Warehouse!

 

At 2 AM this very morning, Bertie Bott, owner of the Chocolate Frog Company after a surprise merge move in 1992 (Go to page 3 for more on the merge), frantically called Aurors to the Chocolate Frog Card Warehouse in Whales. Arriving on the scene, the Ministry was SHOCKED to discover the Dark Mark set above the building! Now, this seems like a lie worthy of Harry Potter, but the Ministry has made a statement that they believe this to have been an ill-conceived prank. No one was harmed, but several crates of Chocolate Frog cards were stolen. The perpetrators of this attack have not yet been found…

 

Cho lowered to paper to see Terry nodding emphatically. “Isn’t it crazy? I know they said it was a prank, but it kind of makes you wonder, doesn’t it?”

“It can’t be real Death Eaters,” Michael Corner said. “Why would Death Eaters bother with Chocolate Frogs? That doesn’t make sense.”

The morning post came in with the customary sound of letters being dropped onto tables and soft hoots.

“Look out!” someone farther down the table shouted, and several students looked up and screamed.

Several school owls were sharing a crate between them, struggling to hold up the weight and swaying back and forth erratically. Cho leaned back to let them pass, but they struggled to a stop in front of her.

“What-” she began, but then the bottom of the crate gave out, and hundreds of Chocolate Frog cards began falling into her lap. She was knocked off of the bench, quickly becoming buried in cards. She knocked Gwenog Jones off her nose and looked around in bewilderment.

Over the shouts of surprise and concern, she heard a loud snort from Gryffindor table. Looking around, she saw Harry staring at her, hand covering his mouth as his shoulders shook. She was unable to feel more than a temporary flash of anger at this uncharacteristic cruelness before another crate was opened on top of her.

At that, Harry gave a shout of laughter and rose from the table, staggering away. She watched him go, and felt a vindictive pleasure at seeing Snape storm after him. Usually Harry was so kind. It wasn’t like him to laugh at her distress.

Then another crate of cards was coming towards her, and she scrambled to her feet, causing a mini avalanche of cards. Marietta helped fend off the owls as she ran in the other direction, wondering, why me???


“Harry James Potter!” Severus shouted. “What have you done?”

They were in an empty corridor of the dungeons, where Harry had been too overcome by his laughter to walk any longer and slid to the floor.

“I swear I didn’t know that was going to happen,” the teen said, but the effect was slightly lost in the stray giggles.

“What. Have. You. Done?” Severus repeated, struggling to remain angry, and mortified when a corner of his mouth twitched traitorously upwards.

“Well,” Harry said, with exaggerated, measured breaths to control his amusement, “I thought, it’s not fair that Voldemort took over so many of my dreams this summer and fall, so I decided to make him dream one of my dreams.”

“That does not explain why your girlfriend is now fleeing from Chocolate Frog cards.”

Harry blushed at Severus’ use of the term “girlfriend” and calmed down a bit. “Y’see, I just had a nonsense dream that Cho was demanding Chocolate Frog cards, and I guess Voldemort just didn’t know how to deal with the emotional fallout of being accused of…” Harry trailed off, and Severus assumed that the dream had involved Miss Chang yelling at Harry about Cedric Diggory.

“If anyone deserves to feel guilty about Cedric Diggory, it is the Dark Lord,” Severus mused, sitting next to Harry with his back against the wall.

Harry’s smile returned, but it was tinged with sorrow. “Yeah.”

Severus watched him for a moment, then felt a smile break out across his face. “The Dark Lord, coming out of hiding to attack the Chocolate Frog Card Warehouse. He never did have the best impulse control. 2 in the morning… I bet he woke up and immediately went on a raid.”

Harry looked up at him and grinned in return.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
I'll be honest, this chapter was the whole reason I wrote this story.