Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Anything in bold is Snape's additions to his notes. Each chapter is named after the chapter Harry is annotating. To have read The Art of War, while it is an excellent work, is by no means necessary to read this.

 

Warning not so much for profanity as for a teenager's colorful turn of phrase. 

Author's Chapter Notes:
This set of notes is the only one completely listed in Travelling Companions. Most chapters of the Art of War have no notes explicitly stated in TC at all, so this work is mostly original content after this chapter.
Chapter I: Laying Plans, II: Waging War

I.

  • Be prepared for anything from your enemy, especially what they seem least likely to do.
  • Never let them know your next move. Make things appear to be what they are not.
  • Take advantage of Voldemort’s unpredictable moods and choleric-ness. Choleric-ness is not a word, Potter.
  • Train in secret. Don’t let V. know how much you know. (Occlumency?)
  • Never go into a fight without knowing what you’re getting into and having a plan.

 



II.

  • War is really expensive. Get the Order a sugar daddy. Potter that is inappropriate.
  • Take whatever you can from the enemy, making yourself stronger at no cost while also weakening them.
  • Avoid long, drawn-out fights, because people will get tired and more likely to make a mistake.
  • A long war will wear down on and frustrate civillains. Keep the war brief, not just battles. Shorter war will also mean less lives lost.
  • People with a purpose will fight better. (That’s why there’s those old propaganda posters from WWII?) Yes. Phrases like “Keep Calm and Carry On” were meant to encourage the Muggles during air raids. Other posters inspired patriotic pride and reminded the people why their sacrifices were worth it.