Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

It had been a week since Malfoy left and Harry still languished in the, for lack of a better word, orphanage. He’d seen the arrival of two more children, a brother and sister much younger than he was. The boy, incongruously named Hephaestus, was shy and withdrawn, obviously beaten down by whatever bad situation he had come from. He was a squib, or at least his people had suspected it, Harry thought.

The girl, Clover, she made him anxious with her precociousness about matters of sex. He remembered hearing, on one of those lurid talk shows Aunt Petunia liked to watch, that type of behaviour usually meant the child had been interfered with in a bad way. Harry didn’t want to think too much about it. He just tried to not be alone with her. He didn’t want to encourage her at all, nor did he want to be accused of anything. He could honestly say he felt sorrier for her, even though she had several outbursts of magic. He hoped she got the help she needed.

Harry had found a few things to do. He regularly helped the nursery attendant with the small baby that had been brought in just after he arrived. He didn’t know what the hold up was for someone taking her in. It did make him feel better that he wasn’t the only one here with a long stay. Maybe Malfoy had been easier to place because he had a living family. Harry didn’t know. He only wanted the Weasleys to hurry up and jump through the hoops, so he could spend the rest of his summer hols preferably outside, and even more preferably flying.

He never thought that he’d miss slaving away in his aunt’s garden, but he did.

The little boy had taken to following Harry about, never too closely. He never spoke to Harry, but did give him a shy smile when Harry would fetch him and the little girl to play. He found he enjoyed the times that they tossed a small ball, or played tag. He’d never really been able to do all that when he was younger. Children his age were chased off by Dudley or put off by Harry’s strangeness.

They were in the middle of a rowdy game, where the general shrieks of laughter from both Harry and Clover drowned out the sound of music that played over the newly installed wireless when Professor Burbage entered. Harry and the boy stopped in their tracks. Clover, who was ‘It,’ didn’t notice and grabbed Harry around his midriff from behind. She giggled as she said, “You’re it now, Harry!”

Harry coloured as he extricated himself gently from Clover’s hold. He said, “Hullo, Professor.”

“Harry, I told you that I’m Charity outside of Hogwarts.”

Harry felt his colour deepen. He was such a knob for the little flutter he felt every time he saw her. It was stupid to have a crush on an adult, no matter kind and pretty they were. Nonetheless, he relished the feel of her name in his mouth as he said, “Sorry, Charity.”

“No need to feel sorry,” she said, her pretty lips formed that soft bow of a smile as she greeted the other children. “Clover, I’m glad to see you’re fitting in. And Hephaestus, I hear what a good boy you’re being for Nurse and for Harry.”

The boy took a step behind Harry, his thumb in his mouth. Harry knew he was too old for things like that, he had to be at least six, but the older boy didn’t know how to break him of it kindly. He wouldn’t want the boy to be teased for doing something so babyish. Not that it was really his duty to do it, but Harry knew what it was like to cling to something he should have outgrown to help cope with a harsh home life, only to be ridiculed for it outside that home.

Charity interrupted Harry’s thoughts as she said, “I’d like a word with you, Harry, if you don’t mind?”

Harry nodded and followed her to a room that he had discovered on his fourth day without Malfoy around. It was a room with a squashy flowered couch, a nice fat chair with the same type of fabric on it. There was a desk and chair near a bookshelf with bric-a-brac and books that were obviously Muggle titles concerning social work and psychology.

Charity took a seat in the chair and so Harry sat across from her on the couch. “I’m here to tell you that you will probably be going to your new guardian in the next few days. We’ve had quite a few requests for you, as I’m sure you suspected, and we’ve narrowed it down to one applicant. They will complete their final interview with Madam Bones this afternoon, and you will likely be going to them sometime this evening.”

Harry felt the tension he had been holding in his shoulders since he had first come to the Ministry ease just a little bit. “I’m so glad. I-I… hope that I won’t be a burden on them.”

“You aren’t a burden, Harry.” Charity stretched out her hand, it hovered over his, that he held tightly clasped over his knee. She withdrew it without contact, knowing Harry didn’t really like to be touched much.

He sighed. “May I ask what family I’ll be with?”

“Oh, I can’t tell you at this point. I want everything to be approved first.” Charity said. “I just wanted to let you know that I hadn’t forgotten you. I can imagine how hard it must be to have everything up in the air like it is.”

“Okay.” Harry tried not to let his frustration show in his voice. He would know soon enough if the Weasley’s were approved, but he couldn’t imagine why they wouldn’t be. They were a great family and had practically adopted him anyway. “Thank you for letting me know.”

“It’s the least I could do for you, Harry.” She smiled and then rose. “Now, I believe you have a game to finish and you’re ‘It,’ from what Clover said.”

“Erm…yeah.” Harry said, rubbing his neck in consternation. He was definitely an idiot for mooning over Charity. He followed her out of the room and resumed entertaining the two children. In a strange way he thought he might miss them when he left.

***

Severus exited the Ministry lift and strode toward Amelia Bones' office, trying to keep the scowl from his face. He'd been summoned, ordered, really, in what was undoubtedly yet another hoop to jump through in the acquisition of Potter. Apparently Charity Burbage and Minerva's recommendations and approval weren't enough for the esteemed Madame Bones; she felt the need to put him under her monocle to scrutinise like some sort of specimen.

He paused outside the outer door and pulled his face into a neutral expression, then stepped inside.

"Ah, Professor Snape, " the receptionist said. Stebbins, he recalled her name, as atrocious at potions as the rest of her fecund clan. They seemed to have made it their mission in life to give the Weasleys a run for their money.

"Miss Stebbins," he acknowledged, "good to know you're gainfully employed. I had my doubts, given your potions scores."

She just laughed, as vapid as ever, and said "Madame Bones is expecting you, Sir."

She got up and opened the door to the inner office, announcing, "Professor Snape, Madam."

Madam Bones stood, motioned Severus to the chair in front of her desk, and said,"Professor Snape. Please take a seat"

After they'd settled themselves, she cut straight to the chase, an admirable quality, Severus thought. He hated chit chat and pointless blathering.

"I've asked you here because I have some concerns regarding your application for guardianship of Harry Potter," she began, "I must say, your application was the most surprising of the many we received. I won't mince words, Professor, I suspect Albus Dumbledore’s hand in this. Charity Burbage has confided in me about the circumstances surrounding your former associations, as well as your defection to the other side. You'll understand my concerns.”

"Indeed, Madam Bones, I do understand your concern. However, you are well aware that I was cleared of all charges relating to my former associations, and have, shall we say...come to see the light. It is my understanding that the boy was removed from his aunt's home because of neglect and abuse, and that his relatives detested his magic. I knew Petunia Dursley in another life, and it is not a stretch then of the imagination that her nephew's best interests weren't her paramount concern."

He paused for a moment, then continued, "It is also my understanding that Albus Dumbledore, while providing the necessary protective charms and spells over the Dursley household, ensuring the boy's safety from outside forces, failed to provide protection from within the household. I think we are agreed, Madam, that the boy must be protected from all sides, including from Dumbledore himself."

He paused again, noting the woman's keen expression of interest. "Not only will I provide such protection, you will note that I am uniquely qualified to deal with the forces that may seek to harm the boy, precisely because of my former associations. As for the question of Albus Dumbledore's influence, I can assure you, Madam, you need not be concerned. When I decided to apply for guardianship of the boy, I extracted a wand vow from Dumbledore that I will tolerate no interference from him, that any issue arising that involves the boy in any way must go through me first, and meet my approval."

Madam Bones nodded, adjusted her monocle, and looking straight at Severus, said, "That is all very well, Professor Snape, and I do agree that you, along with some added protective charms and wards, are certainly capable of protecting the boy from any proposed harm from outside forces. But why do you think you, a single man, are in any way qualified to provide Mr Potter with a stable home and a caring environment, a home life, that will allow him to thrive?"

Inwardly, Severus grimaced. He knew this was bound to come up, but he was prepared. And if she still wasn't convinced, he had one last card up his sleeve that he was sure would sway her, although he hoped it wouldn't come to that. Steeling himself, he said, " I understand your concern, Madam. Yes, I am a single man, unmarried, no children of my own. However, as a teacher, I have years of experience dealing with children. As Head of House, I have experience dealing with any and all problems that a child may experience, and have always been able to resolve these issues, enabling the children under my care to trust that I am capable of helping them, of listening to their problems and concerns, of advocating for them should the need arise. Settling disputes, applying discipline as warranted, rewarding good behaviour, effort, and setting them on a path to a productive adult life by the time they leave my care.

In the case of Mr Potter, not only can I provide all the same, I can also provide a safe and comfortable home. I've already renovated my quarters to provide a comfortable environment, added a spacious bedroom with every amenity the boy could possibly want. I will also be able to personally oversee his academic career, his outside interests, and his social life. I can provide routine, which you will agree is important for a child, both inside and outside the classroom. Should there be any area or issue outside my capabilities, I assure you I have a strong and willing support system in Minerva McGonagall and Poppy Pomfrey, to turn to."

She was frowning slightly, hesitating, he could see. He sighed inaudibly. He ground his teeth hoping she would not require his ultimate debasement, but when she remained impassively looking at him, he capitulated. He geared himself up to throw down his trump card.

"There is another thing I can provide for the boy," he said, trying to cage the pain that he felt at the very mention of the boy’s mother. He took a deep breath, gathered his Occlumency shields and said softly,," I can give him his mother. I knew her from before we both began at Hogwarts. She was…my best friend. We discovered magic together, shared everything. I can tell him of the girl she was, of her extraordinary kindness, her likes, what she found amusing, the things she was good at. I can make her come alive for him, make him know her through my eyes."

She was wavering, he could see it on her face, so he drove his point home.

"Nobody else can do that for him. There's nobody left." He hesitated only a moment then said, meeting her eyes for the first time since he had begun, "Surely, you do the same for your niece, Susan. Bring her parents alive for her?"

Her face turned to stone at that, and Severus wondered if he'd gone too far talking about her relationship with her own niece. She drew herself up, frowning hard around her monocle as she stared at Severus with flinty eyes. Her voice was brusque as she said, "Very well, Professor Snape. Before I give my seal of approval, I have one more requirement of you."

"And what might that be?" Severus inquired stoically.

"I require your word, in the form of an Unbreakable Vow, that you will protect Mr Potter at all costs. That while under your care, no harm will come to him. That the use of corporal punishment is forbidden. That you will provide a safe and happy home, free of neglect and abuse, including verbal."

"Define ’harm,’” Severus said through lips stiffened by controlled anger. "Children often consider discipline to be harmful. If I am not allowed to discipline the boy, what is to keep him from running wild, breaking rules. Doing whatever he chooses to do?"

"I think you know that we're not talking about ordinary discipline, Professor Snape," she said evenly. He matched her gaze. She was testing him, and he knew it. If he refused, she would question his loyalties, even though she had been at his trial and had herself voted to acquit him.

He would, therefore, call her bluff. "Very well, " he conceded, "I will agree to an Unbreakable Vow."

Her eyes narrowed and the very slightest of wry smiles twitched at her lips.

After several moments spent staring each other down, she said,"A wand vow will suffice. Upon completion, I will give my seal of approval, and Charity Burbage will arrange a time with you to deliver Mr Potter to your care."

"Thank you, Madam Bones," Severus said, letting a grateful tone he did not genuinely feel slip into his voice. He rose, as did she, and both produced their wands.

After completing the vow, he watched her apply her seal and sign the parchment giving final approval. She tapped it with her wand and it folded into an aeroplane shape then she sent the parchment off with a lazy wave of her hand.

"Miss Burbage will be in touch," she said, "Good day."

He nodded, adding “Thank you for your show of trust, Madam. Good day.”

He took his leave, dreading Potter’s reaction to the news of his guardianship.

***

Molly Weasley flooed into the Leaky Cauldron, her mind occupied with the things she needed to get in Diagon Alley for their trip to Egypt. She had, through careful planning, budgeted one new casual outfit for each of them, plus a few cautionary potions to take along just in case.

She brushed soot from herself and stepped out into the hustle and bustle of the Leaky. It was lunchtime, by the looks of it, but she'd eaten at home. She was, however, looking forward to a small treat for herself at Fortescues, with money she'd saved back from her household allowance. She set out, intent on the entrance to the Alley, when her eye caught Charity Burbage seated at a smaller table, eating a bowl of soup while she sifted through a stack of parchment set to the side.

Molly hesitated, considering.

Well, it couldn't hurt, could it? she told herself, deciding it couldn't, and approached the woman's table.

"Professor Burbage!" she greeted the woman, "I hope I'm not imposing, I was on my way to Diagon Alley, and wondered if I might have a word with you." The younger woman looked up, her face breaking into a friendly smile, and said, "Good afternoon, Mrs Weasley. Please, have a seat.”

Molly needed no further encouragement, and pulled out a chair, settling in and saying, "I won't keep you, Dear. I thought perhaps I might ask as to when we can expect to bring Harry home. You see, we're planning a trip to Egypt, and I'm about to do some shopping for the trip, including for Harry, of course."

She stopped as the other woman drew her wand and cast a quiet Muffliato spell.

"Oh, of course, it wouldn't do to let everyone know our business, would it?" She gave a small chuckle and added," I can't tell you how happy we are to have Harry with us permanently. Why, he's already like one of our own, and we're all looking forward to our new family member!"

The younger woman pushed her bowl aside, smiled kindly, and said, "Mrs Weasley. I'm afraid that the decision has been made to place Harry elsewhere. We feel.."

"What?" Molly yelped, shocked. "What do you mean, placed elsewhere? How can he be placed elsewhere? We're like family to him! I told you, he's already like one of our own! He's…"

"Mrs Weasley, I understand..." Professor Burbage began, but Molly was having none of it.

"No you most certainly don't!” she blurted out. "We're the only family that boy has ever known! You can't count his relatives as family when they treated him so abominably! You've taken him away from them after all! He's stayed with us over holidays and entire summers! He's happy with us! Who could possibly be better suited than us?"

The idea! Molly thought, her mind refusing to believe what she was hearing. There must be some mistake! How could her family not be approved? She sputtered, too fraught with disbelief to speak, " I...why, I just don't understand!"

"Mrs Weasley," Professor Burbage began again, " Harry is somewhat of a special case. He needs a level of protection that we at the FAC feel you are not able to provide. It isn't just a question of general safety with Harry. Should the worst happen, if He Who Must Not Be Named were to return, Harry, as well as your entire family would be in grave danger. There's also the question of his home life.”

Molly watched her twine the cloth napkin through her fingers nervously as she added, “Although your family and home are quite welcoming, you and Mr Weasley already have enough to be going on. You have five children still at home, four of them still in school. Your home is already packed to the rafters with your own children, each of whom require time and attention. There's the concern that Harry could be lost in the shuffle, so to speak. He's already been neglected most of his life, we feel he is in need of the attention of caring adults..."

She held her hand up to stay the objection Molly was about to burst" forth with, and Molly pursed her lips in outrage. "...Adults who can focus solely on him at this time."

Professor Burbage was looking at her with a sympathetic expression, but Molly was trying not to cry, and couldn't speak. "I know that you and your family love Harry and want him to be with you, and perhaps if Harry were any other boy than The Boy Who Lived, your home and family would be a good fit. But the fact remains, Mrs Weasley, Harry is, as I've said, a special case, and his safety and protection is our primary concern. Surely you would agree that should the unthinkable happen, you and your family are not in a position to deal with such dark forces. You cannot be expected to endanger your family like that."

"B-but....where is he to go then?" Molly stammered.

"I'm afraid I can't divulge that information, Mrs Weasley, ' the woman said kindly. "Rest assured that he will be safe and looked after properly."

"Yes, but...will..." Molly heaved a heavy breath, "...will they love him?"

"Mrs Weasley, " Professor Burbage said, reaching over and patting her hand, " I understand you're upset, but this is best for Harry. And it's not as if you'll never see him again! I know that he and your son Ronald are housemates and best friends. There's no reason to think that will change, or that Harry won’t still be allowed to visit. The only thing that will really change is that he won't be returning to his aunt and uncle's house. That's all."

Molly swallowed hard, and rallied somewhat. Even in her disappointment and sadness, she was still happy to hear Harry would never again be subjected to his relatives' neglect.

She would see him again, of course she would, and when he did come to visit, she would coddle him and feed him and mother him to her heart's content. Of course she would.

Taking a deep breath and composing herself– she had to get away from the woman before she lost control and truly caused a scene– Molly stood and said, "Thank you for your time, Professor Burbage."

"Good day, Mrs Weasley," the woman said kindly, and Molly hurried away. She headed for the floo, intent on getting home so she could cry her heart out in the privacy of her own bedroom while she figured out a way to break it to the family. Shopping could wait, her heart was breaking.

***

With a loud crack of apparition, Charity Burbage and a slightly disoriented Harry appeared at the gates of Hogwarts. Harry took a moment to get his bearings and went back to glowering at his companion.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" She smiled at him. He repaid her with a baleful glare.

She sighed and said,"Harry, I know you were counting on going to the Weasleys. And I know you're disappointed, but this really is for the best. Professor Snape can protect you in ways the Weasleys can't. "

"He can also torture me in ways they can't,” Harry snapped back. He didn't feel sorry for it either. She'd betrayed him, and he was taking it personally.

"Don't be silly, Harry," she said, crossing her arms as she did. "Of course he isn't going to torture you. We wouldn't have approved him if that were the case. You know, you haven't exactly been a model student for him, have you?"

Her tone was gentle, but Harry still felt a hot flush of anger shoot through his gut.

"This is revenge, isn't it?" Harry said sarcastically, "He's going to make me pay, isn't he? I'll bet the old bat is down in his dungeon right now planning out how."

"Harry,” she said again in the same gentle chiding tone as before. "Of course he isn't. Just give him a chance."

He silently watched her take out her wand and wave it at the gates in a complicated pattern. Slowly the gates swung open, and he grudgingly followed her inside, pausing while she waved her wand again to shut them just like Snape did with the shutters in his classroom. He guessed it must be a special spell only the teachers were privy to, most especially the evil ones.

As they started up the path toward the castle, Harry said, "If I'm to be at Hogwarts, why can't Dumbledore, or McGonagall, or...even Hagrid be my guardian? Nobody could get past Hagrid! He'd just toss them aside!"

"Harry,” she said, her tone still patient, however he thought he might have seen a bit of a frown at the beginning. It made him happy. "I've explained this to you. Professor Snape is the best protection for you..."

"But who's going to protect me from him?!" Harry fretted. He was aware of the whinging tone of his own voice, but he didn't care. He wondered if Dobby was still here. Maybe he could hide him til the adults came to their senses and sent him to the Weasleys where he belonged. With a quick bolt of relief, Harry thought, maybe the house elf could help him escape if things got too bad.

With a sense of glee he considered that he might even be able to trade places with Draco. That tosser would love to have Snape as his guardian. He already could do no wrong in Snape's eyes, arse kisser that he was.

He heaved a heavy sigh and said, "I can't believe Dumledore is allowing this."

"Professor Dumbledore has no say in this matter, Harry," Charity answered as they passed the greenhouses."This was a decision that was out of his hands."

She'd told him this before, but he still couldn't believe it. Wasn't Dumbledore Chief Something or other? Wasn't he all powerful?

"You know, Charity," Harry said with a small smile creeping onto his face. "Since you'll be here. I'm counting on you to save me from Snape."

She stopped before the great doors of the entrance, turned to him and said in that kind implaccable voice he'd come to realise meant doom. "Actually, Harry, I won't be. I'm on sabbatical for the coming school year. There will be a new Muggle Studies teacher taking my place."

"What?!" Harry burst out, "Oh, this just keeps getting better and better! You keep banging on about protection, but you're leaving me defenceless! This is just great! What am I supposed to do when he hexes me into oblivion?! He hates me!"

"Harry," she said, her voice edged with a strident tone. "You know perfectly well he cannot do such a thing. Do you really think I would allow you to be placed with someone who would? Do you really think I would approve someone like that?"

She smiled after a long moment of his mulish silence and said, " You really do have a flair for the dramatic, Harry. Too bad theatre isn't offered at Hogwarts. Now, we'll go up to Professor Dumbledore's office first. Madam Bones will be there, and there are a few small things to address before I take you to your new home."

"New home," Harry muttered. "More like a new prison." Charity gave him a quelling look and opened the door. They traversed the large entry hall and the staircases up to the Headmaster’s office in silence. Charity, Harry noticed, kept an eye on him. She obviously didn’t want him to do a runner, not that Harry could. Where would he go, anyway?

He trudged along behind her up to the Headmasters office, his stomach rolling with nerves as the spiral staircase took them upward.

Magically, the door swung open as they reached it, and Professor Dumbledore's voice boomed out "Do come in!”

It irked Harry to hear the cheery note in the old man's voice. As if this weren't the worst day of Harry's life. "Harry, my boy! A pleasure, as always! Charity."

Harry nodded, and eyed up the rather imposing looking woman, who lifted a monocle, screwing it firmly in front of her eye.

"Mr Potter," she said, "I am Amelia Bones, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, and currently Acting Head of the Department of Families and Children. I believe you know my niece, Susan."

Harry was nonplussed at this, and stood there for a moment, before remembering his manners, and spluttering out "Oh, Erm… pleased ...pleased to meet you, Madam."

"Mr Potter," the woman said, "Before Miss Burbage takes you to Professor Snape, Professor Dumbledore is going to place a few protection spells on you. These are designed to keep you safe when you are off Hogwarts grounds."

"Off grounds?" Harry said doubtfully. The woman glanced at Dumbledore, then Charity, and said, "Yes, Mr Potter. Hogwarts is your home, it is not your prison. You will soon be beginning your third year. Third year students are allowed to visit Hogsmeade on weekends. I understand you are quite close with the Weasley family. Of course you may visit during school holidays. These spells will keep you safe while you do."

"Erm....okay," Harry said. He was a bit confused. Wasn't Snape supposed to be protecting him? His attention was drawn to Dumbledore, who stood from his seat behind his desk, cleared his throat and said to Madam Bones, "If I may?"

She nodded, and Dumbledore said, "Harry, when I placed you with your aunt when you were an infant, I had placed a blood protection charm on you. This charm kept you safe while you lived with your aunt, your mother's sister. Unfortunately, the charm did not protect you from your aunt herself, nor your uncle and cousin, which is why you were removed. I had also placed charms over the house itself to keep you safe. These were removed when you were. Now, I'll simply place similar charms over you. There's really nothing to it, you need only stand still while I do it."

"I'm confused, Professor," Harry said, " I thought Professor Snape was to protect me."

"Indeed he will, my boy " Dumbledore replied, "Professor Snape may place additional charms over you, as well. But, Harry, I have not reached the position I currently occupy without good reason. I can place charms and spells that nobody can break."

"But, Professor," Harry said. “If you can do that, and I'm here because I need protection....why can't you be my guardian?"

Dumbledore was about to speak when Madam Bones interjected, " Mr Potter, Professor Dumbledore has school to run, and duties at the Ministry with the Wizengamot. He's a very busy man with many different responsibilities. He is often away with these responsibilities. As much as I'm sure Professor Dumbledore would be quite happy to be your guardian, it simply is not feasible. You need a stable home life and a routine. Professor Snape is far more capable of providing this for you than Professor Dumbledore is. Isn't that right, Albus?"

Dumbledore gave her a tight smile, which softened as he turned to Harry. "My boy, Madam Bones is correct in that I would very much welcome being your guardian, unfortunately...she is also correct in that I am often away, as you know, and cannot oversee your daily routine. Know, however, Harry...it is with deepest regret that I am unable to do so."

"Don't worry, Harry," Charity said, "you'll still see Professor Dumbledore, of course. After all, you'll be living here in the castle also."

"In the dungeons," Harry said sullenly.

"Harry, it is my understanding that Professor Snape has redecorated to make you feel comfortable and welcome," Professor Dumbledore said with amusement. "Why, he's even given in to your house colours. Surely he gains points for that?"

Everybody chuckled at that, but Harry couldn't see the humour in any of this. He crossed his arms and said, “Yes, sir.”

After Professor Dumbledore cast the charms and protection spells over Harry, he walked them to the door as he and Charity took their leave. The moment Harry had been dreading was nigh, and he could think of no escape.

"Harry," Dumbledore said as he stepped onto the spiral staircase. "My door is always open to you, my boy."

Harry looked into the twinkling blue eyes knowing he'd meant he had an ally in the older man, but somehow Harry didn't feel comforted. Still, he nodded and as they spiralled downward he said, "Thank you, Professor."

He trudged after Charity, trying to delay the inevitable as long as possible, but far too soon they stood before the imposing heavy wooden door of his new home.

Harry stood there, trying to acclimate himself to the situation, but couldn't help giving one last protest. He blurted out, "Why can't Dumbledore just cast his charms and spells over me and the Burrow? You can't really believe Snape can give me a better home life than the Weasleys!"

"Harry," she sighed, " Professor Snape can give you time and attention the Weasley's cannot..."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Harry said, his shoulders sagging.

"Harry," she said with a sad little smile, "Professor Snape is not out for revenge, is not going to imprison you, is not going to set you on fire, or any other thing you seem to think he'll do. He's going to be your guardian. A guide in life. A father figure, if you will. You need to give him a chance. If it makes you feel any better, there will be periodic reviews of how you're both coming along, and you will be able to tell us of any concerns. Now, please place your hand, palm flat, on the door."

With a disgusted sigh, Harry gingerly did as she directed, and the door swung open to reveal the old bat standing there, arms crossed. He had an expression that on another face would have been neutral. To Harry it looked more like a grimace.

"Charity.” He nodded at her. "Mr Potter. Do come in."

Harry couldn't seem to make himself step forward; the sense of doom was overwhelming, rendering him temporarily immobile, but a sharp prod from Charity moved him forward.

"Severus," Charity said warmly.

Snape nodded at her, unfurled his arms, and gesturing toward the sitting area, said "Please be seated."

Harry followed the adults over to the sofa, seeing Snape had tea already set up. He perched on the edge of the sofa furthest away from Snape himself, and Charity sat in a chair across from him.

Snape poured, handed the cups around, and then gestured toward the tray containing the milk jug, sugar bowl, and a plate of cakes.

"Help yourselves," he intoned, then sipped at his own tea. Harry put his cup down, not in the mood to make nice. His stomach hurt and he felt a headache coming on.

"Tea not to your liking, Mr Potter?" Snape enquired with a frown.

"I'm just not thirsty, Sir," Harry said with a diffident shrug of his shoulders.

"Understandably, Harry is a little nervous, Severus," Charity said, as she ran her finger along the rim of the plain white cup. Her usually warm smile seemed forced and fragile. "This is new to everyone."

"Indeed," Snape said, eyeing Harry. "However, this is to be your home, Potter, so best get used to it."

Harry couldn't help himself, and snapped, "Why are you doing this? You hate me. We hate each other! What are you playing at, Snape? You can't possibly want me here!"

"Of course I do, Potter," Snape said with an evil smirk. "I assure you, I have nothing but your best interests at heart."

"You don't have a heart!" Harry shouted in frustration.

"Harry!" Charity exclaimed, putting her cup down with a clatter.

"It's true!" Harry insisted, standing up and moving to put the sofa between himself and the adults.

"Apologise to Professor Snape immediately!" Charity chastised him in what must be her best teacher's voice.

"No matter, Charity. After all, aren't these sort of outbursts precisely why Potter here needs discipline? "Snape, who had remained seated, his black eyes glinting, said evenly. To Harry he said, "You will find, Potter, that you won't be coddled and allowed to run amok as you have been. You will learn manners. Your rule breaking and cheek will not be tolerated here."

"Didn't you say I have my own room here?"Harry said through clenched teeth. "I'd Like to go to it now, if you don't mind, Sir."

"Certainly," Snape said, "you seem overwrought, Potter. Perhaps a lie down before dinner will do you good. This way."

The man capitulated far too quickly for Harry, and it made him uneasy. He was probably saving all his bile up for a later punishment after Charity left. Fine. He could try, but Harry wouldn't go down without a fight. He'd simply refuse to leave whatever torture chamber of a room Snape had set up for him, and then they'd have to move him elsewhere. He'd go on a hunger strike if he had to. After all, it was no hardship for him after the Dursleys. He stomped down the corridor after Snape, til they reached another heavy door.

"Harry," Charity began.

"Please, Charity, I will take over. It's best Potter get used to it now.” Snape interrupted her. He then said to Harry, “ Your room, Potter "anything you destroy, you will clean up. Without magic."

Harry glared at both of them, his betrayer and his torturer. "I hate you!" he shouted.

He slammed the door in both their faces.

***

Severus turned to Charity, his anger making his tone harsh, “Just as I told you, the boy is just as insolent as his sire.”

He mentally cursed Albus for getting him into this situation as Charity fixed him with one of her usual stares of disapprobation. She seemed to look at him like that more often than was warranted. After moments of charged silence she began, “Severus…”

He held up his hand to silence whatever Muggle psychobabble she intended to spew. “Don’t Charity. You know some of what I experienced as a child in a mixed household. I’ve no doubt that Petunia Evans is a nasty piece of work, just as my own father was.”

They both turned back to the lounge area. Once there they resumed their seats and Charity said, ”That’s exactly my point, Severus,”

Severus refused to be interrupted and continued over her interjection. “You also know from similar experience that poverty is not glamorous, nor is it to be put on and taken off as a fashion. The boy’s affectation of poverty, or whatever style those oversized rags he donned are meant to be, are deeply offensive to me, as they should be to you.”

“I don’t think…” Charity said.

Severus smirked as he took another sip of his tea, “Not thinking is not a fault I would ever accuse you of, Charity.”

She stood suddenly, knocking the tea table with her knee as she did. Severus winced in sympathy, but held his own counsel as she rubbed her leg and then began pacing in front of the fireplace. “I know you know the boy’s Aunt, Severus, so you should know that her biological son wasn’t dressed as Harry is. He had clothes that fit and were clean, free of stains and rips. His clothes aren’t some sort of affectation, as you say.”

Severus snorted softly. “That means nothing. Petunia wouldn’t allow…”

“Petunia wouldn’t allow what, Severus? She wouldn’t allow her son to look like Harry does? She wouldn’t allow him to do the bulk of the chores whilst, your own words, Harry lazes about demanding attention? She wouldn’t allow her own son to be beaten so severely it would take weeks for the bruises to disappear? Well, you’re right. Her son wasn’t allowed any of those things.”

“Exactly my point, Charity.” He replied. He would certainly be entertained disabusing Potter’s brat of any idea that he was owed special treatment. “Petunia Evans wouldn’t allow her sister’s child to suffer.”

Charity stamped her foot in obvious frustration. “When I leave here, I want you to look at where the boy’s Hogwarts letter was delivered to the first time, Severus. Then I want you to look at the tags on Harry’s clothes. Do you know what you will find?”

Severus scoffed, but a creeping feeling of wrong footedness was beginning to make him doubt some of his assumptions. He remained silent.

“You will find that Harry’s acceptance letter, at least the first few hundred, were addressed to the cupboard under the stairs.” Charity said. “And, Severus, I believe they weren’t misdirected because when the boy was packing he had to get into the locked cupboard to fetch his school trunk. When he opened the door, there was a little palette in there, the size just right for a small child, and a sweet picture that said, ‘Harry’s room’ on the wall.”

She continued. “When you look at the tag on the boy’s clothing, you will see that it’s his cousin’s name written on them, Dudley Dursley. Those ‘fashionable rags’ as you put it, are handed down to Harry.”

She stopped in front of him, her shoulders tight with tension. “The poor boy needs so much more than the protection you can give him. He needs you to see him as his own person, and not an extension of your own childhood of bullying.”

“I may very well be mistaken about the boy’s… situation.” Severus said, his mind racing as he went over the interactions he’d had with the boy over the last two years. “However, none of those things rise to the level of abuse.”

A fleeting look of pity crossed Charity’s face before she answered, “We have a witness to his abuse by the cousin, Severus. We have school records from his muggle primary school that made note of how the boy often came to school without a coat, without food, and bruises that couldn’t reasonably be explained. Don’t think that because your abuse was ignored, that Harry’s situation wasn’t the same.”

White hot rage knifed through him. It took all his self-control not to hex his friend. “Don’t use my past against me, Charity.”


“I’m not, Severus.” Her shoulders sagged. “I simply want you to realise that you aren’t alone and that boy in there needs your help.”

Severus stood facing her. He said, in an implacable tone, “I will take your words under advisement.”

“I’ll take my leave then, Severus.” Charity answered, gathering her things. “Please just take some time to get to know the boy and let him tell you his story.”

Severus nodded sharply as she reached into his pot of floo powder and threw some into the hearth. She shot him one more unreadable look and then proclaimed, “The Ministry.”

She was gone in a whoosh of green flames, and he was left to mull over her words.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading. Please take the time to let us know what you think.