Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

If you like Lily and James Potter and do not like to see them bashed, I highly suggest you DO NOT READ. They are TERRIBLE people in this story and they DO NOT get better. Extreme bashing of Lily and James will happen, so only read if you can handle it. I am not bashing them because I hate them--I'm honestly fairly neutral on their characters--but I am making them awful people for the sake of this story's concept.

All of Harry's canon adventures have happened, but with Draco and others as a part of them. A key difference: Harry, Severus, etc. know about the horcruxes and have since 2nd year. Dumbledore explained everything. They and the Order are hunting the horcruxes, and finding a way to destroy the one in Harry without killing him.

This is set in 5th year, but the war is at the stage it was in 6th/7th year. Voldemort's return was acknowledged after Cedric's murder and disappearances, raids, and murders are happening constantly.

Updates will be slow and sporadic.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Please, leave a review if you enjoy.

Chapter 1

“Harry?”


Harry looked up from where he was pulling weeds from around the white nettle at his father’s call. He pushed his slightly sweaty hair out of his eyes, looking to his right at the cottage’s back door as it opened and Severus stepped outside. He watched as Severus left the patio and approached where he was knelt on the ground in front of the garden.


“What are you doing out here?” Severus asked.


Harry raised an eyebrow in a way so reminiscent of his adoptive father, cocking his head to the side. “Uh, chores?”


“Did you forget we are going to Diagon Alley today?” Severus asked.


“That’s today?” Harry said, surprised, yanking on a stubborn weed that finally released from the ground.


Severus arched his own eyebrow in amusement, smirking. “Given letters arrived earlier this week, and we arranged it with Molly and Lucius, yes, that is today.”


Harry huffed, dropped the weed in his basket, and pushed himself to his feet. “You know, the condescension isn’t necessary.” He pushed back his hair again and swiped at the bit of sweat he could feel just under his eye.


Severus chuckled and Harry scowled. He looked at his father curiously when the man’s hand came up to him, thumb swiping across his cheek.


“You seem to have forgotten you just had your hands in the dirt,” Severus said, clearly heavily amused.


Harry rolled his eyes. “I was doing my chores without being told. Surely I get some points for that.”


“For doing the chores you have had for the past four years?” Severus said, clasping Harry’s shoulder once Harry had picked up his basket of tools and weeds. “Five points to Gryffindor.”


“Dad,” Harry said, unimpressed, only to smile as Severus laughed and pulled him close with a hand wrapped around his head, lips brushing his messy hair.


“Get cleaned up,” Severus said, guiding them back inside. “We leave in thirty minutes.”


Harry handed the basket to his father, kicked off his shoes onto the mat just inside the door, and walked through the sitting room to the staircase that sat just before the front foyer. He dashed up and around the U-shaped, dark cherry wood staircase, and into the bathroom that sat just across from the top of the stairs. He showered quickly, excited for their excursion to Diagon Alley to see his friends. He hadn’t seen any of them since the end of the school year, Severus and all the other adults being far more worried about the dangers upon the return of Voldemort in June. He hadn’t even been allowed to go to Grimmauld Place to visit Sirius and Remus despite it being the well-protected headquarters for the Order or have anyone over for his birthday. He’d had to make do with letters, owled presents, and a quiet day with his father. Harry was glad for at least this single day to be out of the house and see his friends.


Finished showering, he headed left down the hall and into the first bedroom on the left, just diagonally from the stairs. He got ready, pulling on jeans and a red raglan shirt with a V embroidered at the neckline. He looped his black dragon leather belt and wand holster from Kingsley into his jeans, knowing the hell he would get from his unofficial godfather—and official godfather and father—if he were to go anywhere without it, slipping his wand into place. He cast a quick look into the mirror on the wall at his hair, running his fingers through it uselessly, before leaving his room and heading back downstairs. He found Severus sitting at the island in the kitchen, finishing off a cup of coffee as he perused the Daily Prophet. He came up behind his father, looking over his shoulder at the paper.


“Anything interesting?” Harry asked.


“Still reporting on June and last week’s attack in Manchester,” Severus said. “More disappearances as well. Amelia Bones hasn’t been seen for over a week.”


Harry couldn’t help but frown at the reminder, a pain in his heart at what had happened during the horrible third task. Cedric flashed before his eyes briefly, chased away when a hand landed gently on the back of his neck. He looked at his father.


“How are you today?” Severus asked softly. “How was your night?”


Harry shrugged. “Alright. I don’t remember any nightmares, so I think it was okay.”


“No Silencing Charms?” Severus asked and Harry gave him a withering stare.


“I haven’t used one in over three years,” Harry said defensively.


“I was not accusing you,” Severus said placatingly. “I am simply concerned.”


Harry sighed. “I know. No, I didn’t use one and I honestly didn’t have any nightmares. I’m okay.”


Severus nodded, brushing his hand through Harry’s messy hair. “Ready to go?”


“Definitely,” Harry said, his melancholy erased.


With a smile, Severus guided him over to the fireplace in the sitting room corner. Harry hated the Floo, but it was currently preferable to a Portkey though remained tied with Apparation as his second most hated form of wizarding travel. Honestly, why couldn’t wizards have come up with better ways to travel? Even the Muggles had figured out better methods. He stepped through, holding his breath as he twirled through the ash and flames, stumbling, as usual, upon his arrival. He caught himself on a nearby table to avoid hitting the floor.


“Harry!”


He didn’t have much time to recover before he found arms wrapped around his neck and brown hair in his vision. He immediately hugged Hermione back, managing to get them out of the way of Severus’ arrival behind them.


“Surely we could be away from the fireplace for this,” Severus said, raising an eyebrow at them.


“Of course. Sorry, Professor,” Hermione said, releasing Harry.


“Finally! We were starting to wonder if you were still coming,” Ron said, stepping up to them with Draco and Mrs. Weasley who rushed over to pull Harry into another hug.


“How are you, Harry, dear?” she asked, cupping his face to gaze closely at him.


“I’m fine, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said, smiling as she patted his cheek affectionately.


“Hello, Severus,” Mrs. Weasley said, turning to the man. “How has your summer been?”


“Molly,” Severus greeted. “Mostly uneventful. I do hope you have not suffered too much over the children being kept home this summer.”


“Hey!” Harry and Ron exclaimed together, gaining an eye roll from Mrs. Weasley and a smirk from Severus.


“Oh, I’ve kept Ron busy enough, I’m sure he’s hardly noticed,” Mrs. Weasley said.


“I’ve noticed not seeing one of my best friends for a month, Mum!” Ron argued.


“Yet you endure,” Severus said, still smirking.


“Dad!” Harry said indignantly, making his father chuckle.


“Draco, is your father joining us?” Mrs. Weasley asked and Draco shook his head.


“No, he’s at the Ministry today,” Draco said. “He told me to tell you, Severus, that you get a second son for the day.”


“Amazing,” Severus drawled with a false air of being unimpressed.


“Oi!” Draco said, affronted.


“No one else?” Harry asked.


“Seamus and Dean’s parents have chosen to just owl order this year,” Hermione said. “They’re nervous given everything happening.”


“Haven’t heard from Neville or Luna, but I think Neville had finally convinced his gran to let him get a new wand so they’re probably coming another time,” Ron said.


“I’m pretty sure Luna and her father were on a trip this summer,” Draco said.


“Very well,” Severus said. “Shall we get on with it?”


“You all have your letters?” Mrs. Weasley said and the four teens nodded, Harry grinning as Severus handed him his.


With the four teens talking to each other excitedly, catching up on the past several weeks, the group headed through the Leaky Cauldron and into Diagon Alley. It was quieter than it used to be, the return of Voldemort and mass Death Eater attacks making the world nervous to operate as it once did. A few shops were boarded up, shop owners not willing to risk being in such a target-rich environment. It was a shock to everyone that Death Eaters hadn’t attacked the Alley yet.


The partially abandoned Alley was a sad sight, a stark contrast to what it had been in past years, particularly that very first time Severus ever brought Harry there when he was just ten. He remembered the wonder that had filled him as Severus brought him through the little wizarding town, pointing out each shop and explaining every bit of wizarding life they encountered. Despite being brought to Diagon Alley several times before even beginning Hogwarts, each time was like the first, an amazing world for a young boy who’d thought he’d never see anything more than the inside of his cupboard. To see that light and wonder so dim caused a heavy heart.


“Hey, do we know who the new Defense professor is this year?” Ron asked, and they all looked back at Severus.


“Do we at least get a competent one this time?” Draco said.


“Despite the result and the slight psychosis, fake Moody wasn’t terrible,” Ron said, gaining stares from the others. “Or I’m wrong.”


“Sorry, but I can’t exactly get behind the whole Death Eater in disguise,” Harry said.


“Fair enough,” Ron said. “But, seriously, do we know anything?” he asked again, looking at Severus.


“I’ve only a name,” Severus said. “Ethan Grey.”


“Well, his book list seems normal,” Hermione said as they all walked into Flourish and Blotts.


“Sure, because he’s going to tell us to get The Darkest Magicks if he is a psychopath,” Draco said sarcastically, earning a scowl from her.


“Hey, the book list can tell us a lot,” Ron said. “Lockhart?”


They all shuddered at the memory of the man that was likely their worst Defense professor yet, at least in terms of competence.


“Go, get what you need, kids,” Mrs. Weasley said, and shooed them all into the shelves while she and Severus waited at the front, speaking quietly.


“So, what’s Lucius doing at the Ministry?” Harry asked Draco once they were submerged in the stacks, searching for their Charms text.


“He’s trying to get into the Department of Mysteries so he can get the prophecy before Voldemort tries to go after it,” Draco said quietly. “Not that I’m supposed to know that.”


“But you do?” Harry said, raising an eyebrow as he pulled The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5 from the shelf, handing one to Draco.


“Of course,” Draco said haughtily, making Harry laugh lightly. “But, naturally, Fudge is a moron and so are a lot of the Unspeakables, so there’s really no telling how it’s going.”


“At least he’s trying,” Harry said and Draco hummed.


They continued down their lists, picking up Of Common Poisons and Antidotes for Potions, Runic Applications and Rune Systems of the Ancients for Ancient Runes, The Exotic Creature for Care of Magical Creatures, and both Defensive Magic in a Darkening World and Theory of the Dark Arts and Their Defense for Defense. Arms filled with books, they returned to Mrs. Weasley and Severus, individually setting their stacks on the counter to pay. Once done, they returned outside and gazed around while Severus and Mrs. Weasley examined the shopping lists.


“Look, there’s a new shop,” Draco said, pointing down the street at the building that had once been Sugarplum’s Sweets Shop. It had once been a bright pink with sweets of all kinds filling the front display. Now, however, it was a soft blue with what seemed to be craft supplies in the window.


“Looks like a hobby shop,” Ron said.


“Can we go check it out?” Harry asked, turning to his father who looked up from the shopping list.


“Are you asking me if you can go look at art supplies while I complete the shopping of your school supplies?” Severus said, arching a brow.


“You know me so well,” Harry said with a grin as his father rolled his eyes.


“Molly?” Severus said, turning to the woman.


She gave an exaggerated sigh. “I suppose we can manage, if you promise to stick together and meet us back at the Leaky Cauldron in one hour.”


“You are to go nowhere else, understand?” Severus said, holding out his hand for Draco’s list.


“Promise,” Harry said as the others nodded.


“Draco, is there anything you need that is not on your list?” Severus asked.


“Just some ink and a new quill knife,” Draco said.


“Very well, go on,” Severus said.


“Thanks, Dad!” Harry said and the four teens ran down the street towards the new shop, finding it named ‘The Crafty One’.


Upon entering, Harry immediately knew it would become one of his favourite shops. Entire areas of the wide-open shop were dedicated to specific crafts or hobbies. He could see there was a mixture of magical and Muggle items, an uncommon sight in Diagon Alley.


“Hello, hello,” a young woman with long black hair in a thick braid said, a welcoming smile on her face as she approached them. “Welcome to my shop.”


“It’s wonderful,” Hermione said.


“What made you open such a place now of all times?” Ron asked, looking at a magical model train set.


“Ah, well, I figured, we could all use an escape in such times,” she said with a shrug.


“Can’t argue with that,” Draco said.


“If you need anything, just ask,” the woman said and walked back to the counter she’d originally been sitting behind.


Harry was instantly drawn to the area with the fine arts supplies, complete with everything from pastels to paints to coloured pencils to charcoals. He examined each item reverently, finding his thoughts drifting to the source of his love of art.


After Severus had started to come to Privet Drive in that year leading up to his first year at Hogwarts, the man had tried everything to help him acknowledge and deal with what the Dursleys had done to him. He wasn’t much for talking, especially back then before he really knew Severus, but then Severus had brought a sketchpad and coloured pencils, and it was like a whole other world had opened. It turned out drawing was so relaxing and comforting for Harry that he was willing to speak while doing so. As such, Severus had consistently brought him any art supplies he could think of, encouraging the activity as much as possible, and Harry slowly opened up. Art had remained a favourite pastime of his, an easy comfort and method of relaxation.


He smiled at the memories, love for his father for helping him find a passionate interest bubbling inside.


He grabbed a set of Muggle shading pencils and a never-ending sketchpad—as though he didn’t already have three others, but he liked keeping them themed—and finally left the area to find his friends. Hermione was looking at journals, Draco at wood carving, and Ron was still at the model train sets. They each ended up picking out their respective hobby and paid for their new items.


Talking happily about their purchases, the four stepped back out into the quiet street. Harry looked around, spotting just a few people walking along before ducking into their chosen stores. The town had dimmed, both through the lack of activity but also from the dark clouds moving in overhead. He frowned up at them.


“Was it supposed to rain today?” he asked, his friends looking up at the sky as well.


“I don’t believe so,” Hermione said with her own frown.


When a shiver ran through Harry’s body and their breaths became visible, Harry looked at his friends in alarm, receiving wide and confused eyes from them. He spun to look at the window of the shop, finding frost quickly covering the glass. They all had just enough time to pull their wands before a cold, black figure swooped over them, leaving behind frostbitten skin anywhere its tattered clock touched. Hermione screamed as she was knocked down and Harry grunted as he was too, hitting the cobblestone.


“Look out!” Harry shouted as he saw another three Dementors come flying towards Draco who had run over to help Hermione.


“Run!” Draco yelled, helping Hermione up and they both took off running down the street, followed closely by the three Dementors.


Harry clapped his hands over his ears as he heard Voldemort scream ‘Avada Kedavra’ as well as his own screams from that last day when his uncle nearly beat him to death before Severus came to save him. The flash of green light appeared in his head and his scar seared with pain. He could feel his head growing light, and his chest constricted with the cold and draining happiness.


“Harry!” Ron appeared beside him. “We have to go!”


Ron started to help him to his feet only for three Dementors to fly up to them and begin to suck at their joy. Harry groaned, getting lost in the despair as he was forced to remember the graveyard and Cedric in June. His world was starting to grow dark when the feelings stopped abruptly and he drew in a deep breath. Back to awareness, Harry scrambled backwards to escape the Dementors, watching the silvery-blue hawk that was chasing away the Dementors that had been on him and Ron. Seeing Draco’s Patronus was like a reminder and Harry immediately thought of the day Severus had officially adopted him. Letting the love and happiness fill him, he pointed his wand at the Dementors trying to make their way back to him and Ron.


Expecto Patronum!” he yelled and watched his lion rush forward just as an additional four Dementors appeared from nowhere, holding them back.


Ron’s terrier went running to his right, stopping another two Dementors. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw Hermione’s otter repelling the three Dementors that had chased her and Draco. Despite the fact that Harry had held back nearly forty Dementors on his own back in his third year protecting himself and Sirius, he became filled with worry as another five Dementors appeared, fighting to break through the four Patronuses keeping them at bay. They were now surrounded by nearly twenty Dementors and Harry could see the slight flickering in his friends’ Patronuses as they fought to keep them strong in the escalating despair. He felt a sense of relief when the very familiar tiger Patronus joined his, helping to push the Dementors far away until they finally turned and took off away from the Alley.


Once the Dementors were gone, Harry dropped his wand in exhaustion, though his lion stayed around long enough to be nuzzled by Severus’ tiger. He watched them until they dissipated and he was spun around to meet his father’s terrified gaze.


“Are you alright?” Severus asked, a hand coming to rest on Harry’s forehead and then cheek.


Harry nodded wearily. “I’m okay. Chocolate sounds pretty good right about now though.”


Severus rolled his eyes and pulled Harry against him in a tight hug. “Draco?”


Harry moved his head away from Severus just enough to look at Draco who had come up beside them with Hermione and Mrs. Weasley who was mercilessly examining Ron and Hermione.


“I’m fine,” Draco said, accepting the one-armed hug he received from Severus.


“What the bloody hell were Dementors doing in Diagon Alley?” Ron said once he managed to stop his mother’s hovering hands.


Harry stepped out of his father’s embrace to look up at him, waiting for the answer.


“It would seem Voldemort has untethered them from Azkaban and they have joined him,” Severus said and all four teens’ eyes widened.


“They’re free to just roam around?” Hermione said.


Severus nodded. “It would seem so, though he will likely have a level of control over them.”


“How so?” Draco asked.


“They will be able to be sent where he wants and after specific targets,” Severus said and Harry felt a jolt of fear. Dementors had always been drawn to him in general, but now they could be sent to target him? He leaned against Severus again, comforted by the arm wound around his shoulders.


“I think it is time to head home,” Mrs. Weasley said.


“Agreed,” Severus said. “Draco, you will come with us and wait for your father. I will get a hold of him at the Ministry.”


Draco nodded and they all headed down the street to the Leaky Cauldron, far quieter than when they had arrived. Harry allowed himself to be held close to Severus’ side, exhausted and weakened by the Dementors’ attack. They bid goodbye to Ron, Hermione, and Mrs. Weasley as they disappeared into the pub’s fireplace before them, stepping in moments later themselves to arrive in their sitting room.


“Sit,” Severus said to Harry and Draco, gesturing to the sofa. “I will make some hot cocoa once I get a hold of Lucius.”


Harry and Draco nodded, shuffling over to the sofa and dropping heavily onto it next to each other. Harry watched as Severus used the special scrying mirror that sat on the mantle, trying to make contact with Lucius. All the adults in their circle had one, a gift from Dumbledore when it became apparent that the children of the various families were becoming friends so the parents always had a more efficient way of contacting each other in emergencies. Once Sirius and Remus had joined the fray, they got one for Grimmauld Place as well. Some, like Lucius, had been given multiples in different forms, one to have at Malfoy Manor and one that he wore at the base of his throat when out to the Ministry, a decorative piece to the public. Severus had a secondary one as well, his passing as a pocket watch that was constantly tucked into his waistcoat while teaching.


Harry sighed as he listened to the low voice of his father filling Lucius in on what had happened, sinking into the sofa and against Draco.


“Are you okay?” Harry asked quietly, finally beginning to realize the danger his friends had been in. He’d been scared for them all, but there was a special bond with Draco, the blonde having been his first ever friend.


“Yeah, I’m okay,” Draco said just as quietly. “You? You didn’t pass out this time.”


“No, and it didn’t get to that point either,” Harry said. “Just heard the two days, like usual.”


“Here, drink,” Severus said and Harry blinked, realizing his father was standing in front of them with steaming mugs. He hadn’t even noticed his father had finished talking to Lucius or had gone to the kitchen. They both sat up and took the cocoa. Harry took a sip and sighed at the warmth that radiated through him. “Your father is on his way.”


“How badly is he freaking out?” Draco asked.


“A normal amount given what’s occurred,” Severus said.


“So, I don’t get to see the outside of my bedroom for the next month,” Draco said with a huff.


“Don’t worry, I probably won’t either,” Harry said, grinning around his mug at his father’s scowl.


The fireplace flared then and Lucius stepped out, his eyes immediately finding his son. Despite the grumbling he had just been engaged in, Draco stood upon seeing his father and allowed himself to be pulled in for a tight hug. It didn’t surprise Harry. The two Malfoys had had a rough year as Narcissa had gone missing the previous year, and had grown quite close in the wake of the tragedy. No one knew if she was dead or had simply run away or had found a way to rejoin her sister, Bellatrix, when the murderous woman had broken out of Azkaban.


“Is everyone alright?” Lucius asked, looking at Severus who had moved to take Draco’s spot next to Harry on the sofa, arm draped along the back behind Harry’s head.


“Yes, everyone is fine,” Severus said. “The children did well with their Patronuses, as expected.”


Harry tucked himself into his father’s side with a touch of embarrassment as Lucius looked at him and Draco with pride. He cupped his mug, absorbing the heat and relaxed into his father as Severus began to brush his fingers through Harry’s hair. He zoned out, feeling the rumble of Severus’ voice in the man’s chest as he and Lucius conversed for a little while longer. Harry could feel himself beginning to drift, just barely noticing when the mug was carefully removed from his grasp to avoid spillage.


“Wake up, child, Draco and Lucius are leaving.”


Harry blinked, chasing away his doze at his father’s comment and looked up at the Malfoys.


“Bye, Draco,” he said. “Bye, Lucius.”


“Goodbye, Harry, get some rest,” Lucius said. “We will see you on September first.”


“Told you,” Draco said, sounding petulant, but, given he was still tucked against Lucius, Harry knew better and he chuckled lightly. “See you. Thanks for bringing me along, Severus.”


There was no verbal response, but Harry assumed Severus had likely just nodded as he usually did. With a quiet goodbye between Severus and Lucius, the Malfoys took their leave, disappearing through the fireplace and leaving Harry and Severus in a silent, darkening sitting room.


“How are you feeling?” Severus asked quietly after a time, long fingers still carding through Harry’s hair.


“Okay. Tired,” Harry said, leaning into his father heavily. “It wasn’t like third year, though. Guess I’ve built a bit of a tolerance.”


Severus sighed and Harry felt the kiss pressed to the top of his head. “Head up to bed. Get some rest.”


Harry really didn’t want to move, but he did have to admit his bed sounded lovely. With a slight groan at having to move that made Severus chuckle, Harry pushed himself off the sofa.


“Do you need a Dreamless Sleep?” Severus asked as Harry was standing.


Harry shook his head. “I think I’ll be okay with just the music.”


Severus had been the one to introduce Harry to classical music only to discover that it greatly helped with Harry’s nightmares. It had only been discovered when Harry was incapable of falling asleep one night only a few months after Severus had started visiting Privet Drive and they had both been exhausted, desperate for sleep. In hopes of getting Harry to at least focus on something other than his terrifying dreams recreating his memories, Severus had conjured a record player and let Chopin play while rubbing Harry’s back as he remained curled into a tight ball in the bed. Shockingly, Harry’s trembling had stopped and, by the fourth track, he had drifted off to sleep, the first sleep he had that was not interrupted by any nightmares. Once they’d realized what had happened, the classical music had remained a staple in their home.


“Very well,” Severus said and waved his wand through the air. Harry knew there would be music playing lightly in his room now, waiting for him. “Go on. I’ll call you when dinner is ready.”


Harry nodded and shuffled up the stairs and into his room, collapsing heavily onto his bed as the Dementors’ effects continued to ravage his body. The screams—Voldemort’s and his own—had ceased, but the draining despair was still there, stealing his strength, despite the cocoa. He slipped off his wand holster with a bit of struggle as he did so while lying down and placed it on his bedside table before rubbing his eyes under his glasses. He settled in bed, doing his best to focus on the music and warmth of the cocoa rather than the insistent prickling in his scar that had not abated since the attack.