Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

A little bit of a shorter chapter. More of a transition chapter with some lovely fluff. I hope you enjoy. If you do, please, leave a review. Thanks so much! :)   

Chapter 8

This time when Harry's magic started spiralling with his thoughts and the sharp pain stabbed his chest, he was aware of it. Not wanting his father to remove him from the meeting, he fought to contain his excess magic and stop it from pouring out. Holding back while his thoughts and emotions continued to demand a magical outlet made the pain in his chest worse, but he ignored it, focusing on the unbelievable theory Kingsley had presented.

James and Lily couldn't be alive. No matter what they'd seen, it just wasn't possible. They were dead, had died protecting him. It couldn't be true. It couldn't be because...

Because if it was true, then they hadn't died for him.

Because if it was true, then everything was a lie.

Because if it was true, then they'd left him behind for fourteen years.

That's why it couldn't be true because they wouldn't have abandoned him...

Would they?

No, of course not. They'd loved him...

Hadn't they?

"It can't be," Remus eventually said, shaking his head. "It wouldn't make sense and, besides, Lily wasn't an Animagus."

Yes, exactly! Remus was right. It couldn't have been Lily and James! It was just some sick trick.

"Given everything else we seem to not know, Lily being an Animagus is not high on the list of impossibilities," Kingsley pointed out and Harry's hopes for a sick prank sank with his heart. "Plus, if I'm right, it's been fourteen years. A lot can happen in that kind of time."

"There has to be another explanation," Remus argued and Harry looked around at the others, finding deep, pained contemplation and resignation.

"You know their scents as well as I do, Moony," Sirius said quietly, almost reluctantly.

"Scents can be altered," Remus objected.

"Not enough to get past us, especially you," Sirius replied and the way Remus' face tightened told Harry the werewolf was running out of arguments.

"What about the bodies?" Remus tried again, looking at Sirius and Dumbledore. "You both saw them."

"I did see both, yes," Dumbledore agreed with a slow nod and Harry felt the smallest sliver of hope rise within him. "However, it is possible to change one's appearance."

"Polyjuice would have worn off and no charms last after death," Remus stated matter-of-factly.

"Unless they were already dead," Kingsley said bluntly.

"Lily was exceptional at charm work," Severus added and Harry felt his sliver of hope die. If Severus was arguing for Kingsley's theory, it had to be true.

"Severus, you can't possibly believe this," Remus said, astonished.

"I don't wish to, but I am seeing no other explanations," Severus replied, sounding pained at his own admission.

"It explains nearly everything we've found," Kingsley told them. "They paid someone off to get the Lestranges from Azkaban. They paid Ariadne to forge documents. They had Grey help stage Godric's Hollow and write the reports to hide the truth."

"It would also explain the lack of blood wards around Privet Drive," Dumbledore interjected.

Harry sunk in his chair with his heart and stomach, further and further, while his eyes burned and his magic screamed to be released. His world was fracturing.

"By saying this, we're saying Lily and James murdered the Lestranges. We're saying they helped send you to Azkaban," Remus said to Sirius. "We're saying they left..."

"Me," Harry whispered when his godfather stopped abruptly and it was as though the single word broke the lock on his magic. He felt it rush out of him in a short, but strong burst and the window cracked loudly. He sighed when Severus' hand landed on his shoulder and everyone's eyes landed on him.

"Perhaps you should take a break, son."

"No, please. I know I promised not to argue, but please let me stay," Harry said, turning to look up at his father.

"Harry..."

"I need to hear this. Please, Dad," Harry pleaded. "I'm okay, I promise."

Severus stared at him for a long minute before releasing his own reluctant sigh and nodding, carding his fingers through Harry's hair. "Very well."

Harry gave him a small, grateful smile and turned back around, ignoring the way his magic still sizzled in his gut. Severus' hand came to rest on him again, palm pressed warmly to the front of his shoulder, and Remus laid his own hand on Harry's leg.

"If this is what we're saying is true," Remus continued, "then why? Why would they do this?"

"There are still many unanswered questions and that is among them," Dumbledore replied. "I suggest we cease speculating until we have further information and evidence."

"How do we do that?" Sirius asked. "Seems like they did a damn good cover-up job."

"I'll find Ariadne," Kingsley suggested. "There's still some parts of Archives and Records I haven't gotten into. Restricted areas. I'm sure something will be hidden down there."

"Do be careful not to endanger yourself," Dumbledore cautioned and Kingsley nodded before leaving the office, patting Harry's shoulder comfortingly. "Sirius, speak with Gringotts again about the withdrawals, the wands, and anything else they may know about. Remus, I would like you to go to Godric's Hollow. Perhaps there are things we missed in the tragedy and emotion of the night. I will arrange a visit with Peter Pettigrew."

"I tried already," Sirius told him. "He couldn't give me anything."

"You are unable to Legilimize him," Dumbledore pointed out and Sirius inclined his head in understanding. "Additionally, Ethan Grey may prove to be useful."

"You cannot be serious," Severus protested. "He's a clear threat to Harry."

"He may lead us to the truth," Dumbledore said.

"He's right," Harry jumped in. "Grey's already been trying to find things out about what happened on Halloween. Maybe I can get him to reveal something."

Severus blew out a very obviously frustrated breath.

"I'll be careful," Harry promised. "I'll get my friends to help. I won't do anything alone."

Severus just gave a single stiff nod and squeezed Harry's shoulder.

"I must caution you two as well," Dumbledore said to Harry's godfathers. "We cannot allow Grey to know we are onto his role in all of this, nor that we are aware of his true identity."

Agreeing, Sirius and Remus followed Kingsley in leaving the office after giving Harry a comforting pat or squeeze. Severus finally moved from standing behind Harry and took Remus' spot next to him, replacing Remus' hand on his leg.

"Have you been struggling with your magic, my boy?" Dumbledore asked, gazing at Harry after glancing at the cracked window.

"A little," Harry admitted.

"He has begun expelling magic without realizing," Severus added.

Dumbledore's forehead crinkled as he stared at Harry. "When did this begin?"

"Beginning of the month," Harry said. "Same time as the dreams."

"Dreams?" Dumbledore echoed and Harry nodded.

"I think it's about a horcrux," Harry explained. "I think I'm seeing where it is and hearing how it was created. I hear voices."

"Do you know which horcrux?" Dumbledore wondered.

"Kingsley thinks it's the ring," Harry told him. "I think he killed his father to make it."

"I would have to agree," Dumbledore said and placed a photo on the desk. Harry leaned forward to see it, finding it to be a close-up of a woman's hand with a gold ring with a triangular, pyramid-shaped black stone. "Is this what you have seen?"

Harry nodded, looking at the headmaster curiously.

"I learned of this ring from Horace Slughorn, a former professor here at Hogwarts, as you know. He told me about it as well as about the day he told Tom Riddle about horcruxes," Dumbledore explained. "This ring was last seen, except by Horace, on the hand of Merope Gaunt, Voldemort's mother, when she died in childbirth at Wool's Orphanage. It was sold to Borgin and Burke's before being bought by Morfin Gaunt, the wizard accused of murdering Tom Riddle Senior and his parents. The ring was not found with Morfin and was not seen since until Horace saw Voldemort wearing it in his seventh year."

"Voldemort stole it," Harry realized. "Killed his father and made it a horcrux."

"And made his uncle take the blame for the murders," Dumbledore confirmed. "That is as far as I have been able to track it. I do not know where Voldemort has hidden it."

"What if it's still there in Little Hangleton?" Harry suggested. "I've been seeing it underground, I think. What if it's in the graveyard? It would explain why he went back there for the Resurrection Ritual. He needed a horcrux nearby to be stronger."

"A sound theory. A matter I will leave for an Order meeting," Dumbledore mused. "Is anything else occurring with these dreams aside from magical outbursts?"

"Scar pain as usual." Harry shrugged.

"Oh dear," Dumbledore murmured and Harry's stomach twisted while Severus' hand tightened on his leg. His scar hurting wasn't new, nor was pain associated with dreams, so what had Dumbledore concerned?

"Albus, what is happening to my son?" Severus asked stiffly.

"I cannot be certain, of course, given the unknowns of the circumstances," Dumbledore answered. "However, I believe the horcrux within you is seeking power and is tapping into your excess as it is free magic not tethered to your core. I believe it is absorbing your magic, but cannot control it which is likely causing the outbursts. It would also explain the dreams. The horcrux in you is using your magic to grow stronger and reach out to the others as they want to be reunited."

"And the outcome should this continue?" Severus pressed.

"I cannot say for certain. There is no precedent for this," Dumbledore replied.

"Then guess," Severus growled. When Dumbledore glanced at Harry, still hesitant to offer his insights, Severus said, "Harry, please leave. I will meet you in our rooms."

"What? No. Dad," Harry protested.

"I am not negotiating," Severus said firmly. "We will have our own discussion once I am done here."

"But, Dad-"

"Do not argue with me," Severus snapped. "Go."

Glaring and huffing, Harry stormed from the office. He honestly did have every intention of doing as he'd been told-he'd gotten in trouble for eavesdropping only a week ago, after all-but then he realized the door hadn't latched behind him. Knowing he would be in trouble and likely grounded for life, he stood outside the door and listened.

"Albus, be straight with me," Severus said and Harry frowned, his heart squeezing at the pain he could hear in his father's voice. "Am I going to lose my son?"

There was a long pause and Harry leaned against the wall, letting his head fall back as an ache engulfed his heart.

"Until we find a way to free Harry of his horcrux, you know it remains a possibility," Dumbledore finally replied.

"I have searched every book I can get my hands on," Severus said, sounding defeated. "I have started learning to translate ancient languages, for Merlin's sake. There's nothing."

"There is still hope," Dumbledore said, trying to sound reassuring. "Until we find something, perhaps we can use this new development to find the others."

"You want to use my son to hunt horcruxes knowing the horcrux is killing him?" Severus ground out.

"Do you truly believe Harry has not already had the same thought?"

Harry huffed to himself. Was he really so predictable?

"I'm sure he has, but we are not meant to follow the lead of a fifteen-year-old," Severus argued. "I am not sacrificing my son."

"Nor am I asking you to, but I do ask you to consider that his growing connection to the other horcruxes may be our best solution. Perhaps our only way forward," Dumbledore told him.

"And what of Lily and James?" Severus asked, obviously choosing to just side-step the horcrux issue. "If it wasthem, if they are alive...can they take him from me?"

"I truly do not know."

Suddenly, Harry felt he'd heard enough. He couldn't listen to more. Filled with anguish at his father's despair, he left his spot and headed down to the dungeons as he'd been instructed. In Severus' rooms, he sat heavily on the sofa, folding his legs under him and settling into the corner as he gazed up at the photo on the mantle. It was a Muggle picture of him and Severus hugging, little eleven-year-old him wrapped around his father completely. Fuzzy in the background around them was Kingsley, the Weasleys, Hermione, and the Malfoys. It had been taken at the party thrown by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Lucius in honour of Severus officially adopting Harry after more than a year of fighting the Ministry.

He sighed at the photo, hating the pain he was putting the man through. He looked away from it as the door opened and Severus walked in, looking haunted. They gazed at each other, Harry waiting for the anger over his eavesdropping. He had no illusions that Severus didn't know he'd listened. Eventually, though, Severus just shook his head and walked through the sitting room.

"We are not discussing it," Severus said shortly and Harry blinked before jumping up on the sofa, spinning around on his knees to look over the back at Severus who was heading to the archway.

"You said we would," Harry argued.

"I am not negotiating you martyring yourself."

"Dad-"

Severus spun around, eyes flashing. "I am not losing you!"

"You might not have a choice and we both know that!" Harry shot back. They stared at each other for a long while again, the silence between them heavy. Harry sighed. "We need to find the horcruxes and I could be the way we do that."

"I am not giving you up for this war," Severus refused.

"Maybe you won't have to. Maybe I can find the horcruxes fast enough before it kills me," Harry said optimistically, "but if I'm going to die, I'd rather die doing something."

"You are a child."

"Yeah, I am, because of you," Harry agreed, "but I'm also Harry Potter and everything that comes with that. I'm the only one that can end this, but you have to let me. Let me choose what to do with whatever time I might have. Let me do what I have to."

The look in Severus' eye was hard and his face was tight with agony. Yet, as the man walked towards him and the sofa, Harry could also see a telltale light.

Pride.

Severus stood at the back of the sofa and reached out, cupping Harry's cheek. "You have a remarkable strength."

Harry smiled and wrapped his arms around Severus, head resting on the man's sternum. "Also because of you."

Severus' chest lifted under him as the man let out a deep breath and a hand ran down the back of his head. "Very well, but you do nothing alone, understand?"

Harry nodded and pulled back, looking up at Severus again.

"I am not giving up on you," Severus promised and Harry smiled again.

"I know."

"Head back to your tower now. Spend some time with your friends," Severus told him. "I have some work to do."

Harry knew it wasn't work, but horcrux research the man was going to lose himself in as he watched Severus retrace his steps to the archway. Gazing at his father, he remembered the last fear he'd heard Severus voice to the headmaster.

"Dad," he called and Severus turned to him again. "I won't choose them."

There was the briefest look of questioning in Severus' eyes before it was replaced with recognition and resignation. Severus sighed sadly, looking at him as though Harry had already made his choice.

"And if there is a perfectly reasonable and acceptable explanation?"

"There's not," Harry responded quickly, hardly waiting for Severus to finish. "There is no good explanation."

"Harry, they're your parents."

Harry shook his head and left the sofa, circling it to walk over to the man. "My parents are dead. You're my parent. There is no good reason. You taught me this. You told me there could never have been a good enough reason for what the Dursleys did to me. It's the same thing. There can never be a good enough reason for leaving me to Voldemort. There can never be a good enough reason for leaving me with the Dursleys. There can never be a good enough reason for abandoning me for fourteen years. I will never go with them."

As Severus stared at him, Harry could see the slightest hint of tears and bob in the throat as his father fought back his emotions.

"There is not a single thing in my life that explains how I came to deserve you."

Harry smiled. "There is." 

Severus looked at him curiously.

"You chose me. They didn't."

He was quickly pulled into another hug and a kiss was pressed to his hair.

"You will always be the greatest choice I have ever made," Severus murmured and Harry held to his father even tighter. They held to each other for several seconds before Harry spoke.

"Can I help you research?"

"Do you have homework?"

"Can we pretend I don't for now?"

Severus just chuckled and led him into the study.

To be continued...