Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a heads up, there's a tad bit of slash.(?) Its more humor related than anything, but just in case. Also, a bit of profanity near the end.
First Year


"WHAT?" James and Sirius both yelled as they scanned over Harry and Neville's letters. Lily and Remus rolled their eyes as they continued on Severus'.

"Really, James. It's not that bad," Lily tried consoling her husband. Finished, she rolled up the letter in her hands and handed it to Remus who threw it away in the trash can.

     "Not that bad? Not that bad? Lily, Harry's a Slytherin. And Snape is his Head of House! It's really bad! At least Neville got sorted into a Light house. Snivelly is going to turn Harry Dark, mark my words!" Sirius nodded along passively.

     Lily resisted the urge to rub her forehead and sigh. "James..."

     "No, Lily. You don't understand-"

     "Oh, I don't understand, do I?" James quickly snapped his mouth close. "I understand perfectly, James. You don't understand. Severus would do nothing to harm Harry or "turn him Dark". He loves Harry just as much as you do." Sirius snorted and Lily sent him a glare.

     "Be glad for him, James. Harry is in a place where he can finally make friends and be with other people besides Neville. It will be good for him to branch out. And what's wrong with being a Slytherin, anyway?" She sent a pointed glare. James gulped. He knew just as much as anyone else that Lily came very close to being in Slytherin, and she showed it constantly.

     "I-uh, well yeah. I guess not. I am proud of them.They will make their houses proud." Lily nodded, glad she made her point and James accepted. Sirius still looked a bit peeved, but wisely said nothing. "But I'm still writing a letter to Snape!" James added. Lily groaned.

     "Me, too!" Sirius joined in. They both went to the living room and came back with a large roll of parchment. They sat down at the kitchen table and just as they both put their quill to the paper, Remus cleared his throat. He pointed to his hand-me-down watch.

     "It's already six thirty. You're going to be late. Again. Moody's going to have your hide." Both James and Sirius looked at each other then at Remus.

     "Holy f--!" They scrambled over each other as they headed towards their bedrooms. They came out a moment later with their Auror uniform in different stages of disarray. Sirius had his on backwards and James had only one arm in, the other flapping behind him as they ran to the fireplace.

     "Ministry of Magic!" they both called out and in a flash of green was gone.

     Lily sighed, running her hand through her long auburn hair. "I swear those two haven't aged a bit since Hogwarts."

     Remus snorted, the laughter making his sunken eyes shine. "I'm right with you."



                                                             *`*`*`*`         

      Harry tried his best to avoid Snape as much as possible the next day. He still couldn't believe he had said that to the man. He didn't know what came over him.The name just popped into his head, and it seemed right. He was definitely in trouble now. He just knew it.

     He walked beside Blaise on their way to breakfast. Hermione and Ron joined them as they passed each common room. Neville walked past them with the other Hufflepuffs and Harry, Ron and Hermione waved. Neville smiled wide and waved back. Justin poked Neville and he turned back to their conversation.

     They went to their respective tables and food popped into existence in front of them. Harry chowed down on pancakes with strawberries and Blaise filled his plate with French toast, smothering it with syrup and butter.

     "Does your family usually allow you to eat like that?" Harry asked, motioning with his fork towards the mass of syrup and soggy cinnamon toast.

     "Nope!" Blaise replied, crumbs flying from his overfull mouth. "But they're not here, so I can do what I want." Harry snorted and went back to his pancakes. One of the Prefects stood, a stack of papers in his arms. He began calling out names and giving a piece of paper to each person he called out.

"Harry Potter!" Harry raised his hand and the sixth year Prefect gave him a piece of paper.

     "Wha's tha'?" Blaise asked with his mouth full, peering over Harry's shoulder. A bit of toast landed on the corner of the paper and Harry flicked it off.

     "You'll see when you get your own!" Harry shoved Blaise back towards his plate. Blaise was back not a second later, physically moving Harry when he landed his head against his shoulder.

     "But I'm the last one on the list! It'll be ages before I get mine! Come on, let me see!" Blaise wined. Harry rolled his eyes but brought the paper into Blaise's line of sight.

     "I think it's our schedule for this week. Let's see..." Harry peered at his schedule.

Monday:


7:00 am-8:30 am- Breakfast


9:00 am-10:00 am- Flying lessons w/ Madam Hooch.


10:30 am-11:00 am- Introduction to Hogwarts


11:30 am-2:00 pm-Lunch and Meet and Greet


2:30 pm-4:00 pm- Dorm


4:30 pm-6:00 pm-Dinner



Tuesday:


7:00 am- 8:30 am- Breakfast


9:00 am-10:00 am- Beginner Potions (w/ Gryffindor)


10:30 am- 11:30 am- Transfiguration (w/ Ravenclaw)


12:00 pm- 200:pm- Lunch


2:30pm-3:30 pm-Defense Against the Dark Arts (w/ Hufflepuff)


4:30- 6:00 pm-Dinner



Wednesday


7:00 am- 8:30 am- Breakfast


9:00 am-10:00 am- Charms (w/ Ravenclaw)


10:30 am-11:30 am- Herbology (w/ Hufflepuff)


12:00 pm.-2:00 pm- Lunch

 2:30pm- 3:30 pm- History of Magic (w/ Gryffindor)


4:30pm- 6:00pm- Dinner


     "It repeats the sequence from Tuesday onward after Wednesday," Harry noted, putting down his paper and resumed eating his pancakes.

     "Blaise Zabini!"

     "Oh great. Now I get my schedule!" Blaise groaned and took the paper. "Hey, after this we get flying lessons! That's going to be awesome!"

     "I already know how to fly. My dad taught me and Neville when we were seven." He took a sip of pumpkin juice.

     Blaise pouted. "No fair! You two are going to be ahead of everyone else!" Harry grinned cheekily at him.

     "I bet you're not as good as me, Potter!" Malfoy said. He moved from his seat and sat right in front of Harry. Harry noted that Professor Snape was staring at them with interest.

     "My father got the best flyers from the world to teach me!" Malfoy sniffed haughtily and held up his chin, as if that piece of news was supposed to be impressive.

     Harry ignored him, focusing on his food instead. Blaise joined in, filling his plate with more French toast and adding bacon into the mix that time.

     Malfoy didn't like being ignored one bit. He slammed his hand down in front of Harry's plate, making a strawberry fall off and roll onto the floor.

     "Potter! I'm talking to you! Listen to me!" He hissed. Harry got another strawberry out of the fruit bowl and ate it.

     "Do you hear anything, Blaise?" Harry asked.

     "Nope. Nothing but the wind."

     Harry resisted the urge to snicker as Malfoy seethed. "Why you-! How dare you ignore me! Do you know who I am?" He shrieked, his voice going up several octaves.

     "I swear I'm hearing something, Blaise. It sounds like a little nagging fly."

     Malfoy jumped up, his face beet red, and pulled out his wand. A tall shadow appeared behind him.

     "Mr. Malfoy."

     Malfoy spun around, his face going even paler than it usually was. Snape stood over him, annoyance etched into every part of his face.

     "I would appreciate it if you do not start fights at the table. I do not want to send someone to the Infirmary on their second day."

     Malfoy resembled a fish out of water at that moment. His mouth was opening and closing, but nothing came out.

     "B-but Potter! He-" he managed to stutter out.

     "I do not care what Mr. Potter did, Mr. Malfoy. I do not wish to see you first years fighting. I would keep that in mind for next time unless you want a detention. And you," Snape focused his look at Harry.

     "I do not want you two egging him on or you will wind up in the same predicament with Mr. Malfoy. Do I make myself clear?" All three nodded rapidly.

     "Good. I would suggest you move back to your seat and try and not bother anyone again, Mr. Malfoy." With that, Snape turned back around and headed back towards the teacher's table. Malfoy gave Harry a glare but moved back and sat next to Crabbe and Goyle.

      The bell rang a little bit later, signaling the end of breakfast. Harry and Blaise gathered their things and walked with the rest of the Slytherins to the Quidditch Pitch. Harry was glad to see that there were a group of other students from each house. He saw Ron with the Gryffindors, Hermione with the ten or so Ravenclaws and Neville was with a small group of Hufflepuffs.

     They each got beside a broom that was laying on the ground. Harry and Blaise went and stood beside Neville. Justin waved from the other side and Harry grinned and waved back.

     "Hey. I'm Justin. Nice to meet you."

     "I'm Harry. Nice to meet you too."

     "Blaise Zabini. Pleasure."

     They heard a whoop and all the students turned towards the sky. Someone was doing figure eights and loop-de-loops in the sky. They skidded to a halt in front of the line of students. An older looking woman with spikey grey hair that looked even more disheveled that Harry's took off her flying goggles. She had on striped robes, a referee uniform for Quidditch. Harry's first thought when he saw her was 'awesome'.
    
     "Alright, munchkins! Time to learn how to fly. I'm Madam Hooch, and I'll be your flying instructor for this evening." She blew her whistle, and multiple students that were right in front of her clutched their ears.

     "First things first. Hold out your hand over your broom and say "Up!"

     Harry  and Neville did as they were told and instantly their brooms shot into their hands. They grinned at each other. Justin's took two tries before his broom went into his hand. Ron's shook a bit then came shooting up, smacking him in the face, and Hermione's just rolled over. Blaise's shot up almost as instantly as Harry and Neville's.

     "Alright!" Hooch said once everybody had their brooms in their hands. "Now, you mount the brooms." She went around to everyone and showed them the proper way to sit. Harry, Blaise, and Neville snickered when she told Malfoy that he had been doing it wrong for years. 'So much for the best flyers in the world' Harry thought. Malfoy's face turned red and he flipped Harry off when Hooch wasn't looking.

     "On the count of three, push off the ground and hover. Do not go any higher than three feet! One..two..thr-"

     Neville got too excited and shot off early. He steadily rose higher and higher until he looked like he could touch the clouds.

     "Neville! Use what Dad taught us!" Harry yelled.

     "I'm trying!" he shrieked back, flailing his legs. "It's not working!"

     "Hold on, Mr. Longbottom-Potter! I'm coming!" Hooch took off, leaving a cloud of dust in her wake. She got to him and grabbed his broom handle. She slowly came back down, manipulating two brooms. Neville's face was a bit red. Harry couldn't blame him. After all their dad had taught them, Neville had just threw that out the window.

     About ten feet from the ground, Neville lost his balance and fell. Harry heard a crack! as he landed and Neville cried out. Harry, Justin, Hermione and Ron ran towards the fallen figure. Blaise came along as well but stayed back a bit.

     "Are you okay, Neville?" All five asked. Harry helped him sit up. Neville sniffed.

     "I think so." He tried to move his right hand to his forehead and flinched. "Ow. I think it might be broke."

     Harry tutted. "It wouldn't be the first time."

     Hooch came over, moving Harry out of the way. She took Neville's arm and examined it, making Neville flinch again. "Yes, definitely broke. You're going to have to go to the Infirmary, young man. Don't worry," She helped Neville stand. "Madam Pomfrey will fix you up in a jiffy. All of you stay exactly where you are. Do not move until I come back!" She looked Malfoy right in the eyes and moved into the castle.

     Harry turned back to the other four. "I hope he's alright," Hermione said, twisting her hand in her robes.

     "He'll be alright. This isn't the first time he broke his hand. This one time when he was nine, he was de-gnoming the yard and he was messing around with a gnome, spinning it around and stuff. The gnome bit his hand so hard it broke." Ron looked a tad bit disgusted. Hermione and Justin looked confused and Blaise shrugged.

     "Serves him right." Blaise said. Harry just shrugged in response, not really knowing what to say to that.

     "Hey, look! Longbottom dropped something!" Malfoy said. Harry turned to see Malfoy walking towards where Neville had fallen. He picked up something. It glittered red in the sunlight.  

     "It looks like a Remembrall." Harry stilled. His mom had stuffed the Remembrall into Neville's robes just as he was getting on the train. It was one of Neville's favorite things. He was constantly forgetting stuff, so it came in handy a lot.

     "Give that back, Malfoy," Harry growled. Malfoy turned to face Harry, a smirk on his face. He waved the glass orb under Harry's nose, taunting. Harry tried to grab for it, but Malfoy swiped it away before Harry could.

     "You want it? Come and get it." Malfoy hopped on his broom and flew up. Harry mounted his, Hooch's warning fleeing from his mind.

     Hermione grabbed his robe, preventing him from taking off. "Harry! Hooch said to stay here!" Harry ignored her and shrugged her hand off. He flew to face Malfoy. He held out his hand, making a grabby motion.

     "Give it, Malfoy."

     Malfoy tut-tutted. "That's not the proper way to ask. Say "please"."

     Harry swiped forward, but Malfoy flew away. He began to throw it back and forth to each hand. Harry flew towards Malfoy at a quick speed, but Malfoy weaseled his way out again.

     "You're going to have to do better than that, Potter." Malfoy tossed it up and caught it with the other hand. He held out the hand with the Remembrall in it and dropped it.

     "Oops."

     Malfoy cackled as Harry swooped down to catch the falling ball. The tips of his fingers barely brushed the glass, but he couldn't grab it. He sped up his broom, using every technique that his dad taught him. The ground came closer and closer. Just as he was about to crash land, he grabbed the ball and pulled up, his feet dragging on the grass.

     Malfoy seemed a bit peeved that Harry caught it, but smiled suddenly. Harry didn't like that smile. It looked evil.

     "MR.POTTER! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?"

     Harry spun around, dropping his broom. Professor McGonagall was speed walking towards him, a look of fury on her face. A boy about fifteen was behind her. He seemed a bit excited, if his large grin was anything to go by.

     "Just what went through your mind to make you do something so stupid?" She stopped right in front of him, folding her arms. Harry felt abut two inches tall.

      "Malfoy took my brother's Remembrall and I was just trying to get it back," Harry said weakly.

     "You risked your life for a glass ball?" Now Harry really did feel small.

     "It's important to him." His voice was barely a whisper. Professor McGonagall sighed.

     "Mr. Flint, take Mr. Potter to Professor Snape and explain the situation. Mr. Malfoy, come with me. You have some explaining to do." Malfoy went with McGonagall into the castle. He shot Harry a glare as he passed. It wasn't as if it was Harry's fault. He was the one who had started it.

     The boy, Flint, motioned for Harry to follow. Harry got into step behind them. They passed by Madam Hooch and Neville on their way in. Harry tossed the Remembrall to Neville, who looked at him confusedly. 'Later', he mouthed. They continued down the corridor.

     "You know, I'm the Quidditch captain for Slytherin," Flint said suddenly. Harry looked at him. "You're really good. I saw you from Professor McGonagall's window. That dive you did was amazing! Nobody on the team last year could do that, and they've been on the team for years! Slytherin could do great this year with you on the team as a Seeker.You have the build for one, too."

     "I thought first years couldn't join Quidditch?" Harry asked, walking a bit faster to keep up.

     "Well, yeah. But we can make you reserve Seeker or something. I'll have to talk to Professor Snape about it. I'm sure he won't mind. He'd do anything to win against the Gryffindors, and you're definitely winning material." Harry thought it was a bit ironic. His father trained him in Quidditch in the hopes that Harry would join the Gryffindor team, but now he was possibly going to be playing for Slytherin. He hoped his dad or Sirius wouldn't be too mad.

     They reached Snape's office and Flint knocked. "Enter!" came a moment later. Flint pushed open the door and Harry suddenly felt nervous. What if Snape wouldn't let him on the Quidditch team? What if he gave him a detention? He certainly deserved it, thinking back on it.

     He walked in beside Flint and the door shut automatically behind Harry. Harry jumped forward a bit. Flint stood almost at attention in front of Snape's desk. Harry walked beside him and tried to copy his stance.

     "I have already received word from Professor McGonagall," Snape said, folding his hands under his chin. His black eyes glittered with something Harry couldn't place. Worry? Anger? Whatever it was, it didn't help Harry's stomach stop from doing flip-flops.

     "Mr. Flint, I would like to speak with Mr. Potter alone for a moment, if you do not mind." Flint nodded once curtly and stepped out, shutting the door quietly behind him. Harry wished he would come back. Perhaps Snape wouldn't kill him if someone was there.

    Snape began shuffling papers on his desk, organizing and placing in piles. He began writing, what Harry didn't know. Snape didn't even so much as glance at Harry the entire time, as if Harry wasn't there or didn't exist. After what felt like an eternity, and after Harry felt the fear and guilt would explode inside him, Snape looked up. If he had small talking to McGonagall, he was nearly microscopic talking to Snape.

     "Professor McGonagall has already given me a report of what she saw, but I would like to have your version of the story." He set down his quill, and began tracing his lips with a potion-stained finger.

     Harry fidgeted a bit. He opened his mouth once, and nothing came out. His voice got stuck in his throat, and no matter how many times he tried to talk, he couldn't speak. Snape was waiting patiently, still tracing his lips. He leaned back in his chair and folded his long legs.

     "I-I..." Harry took a deep breath. "Malfoy took Neville's Remembrall and I tried to get it back but he flew up so I followed even though Madam Hooch said not to and Malfoy was tossing it back between his hands and he dropped it on purpose and I dove after it and caught it and that's when Professor McGonagall came out," he said in a big rush.

Snape blinked. Harry hoped he caught all of that because Harry really didn't feel like saying it again. He already felt bad and felt like he was going to cry. He didn't want to relive the feelings again.

     "You caught it?" he asked. Harry stopped fidgeting in shock. He wasn't expecting that answer.

     "Uh, yes, sir."

     "I see." Snape leaned forward. All impressions of Harry catching the Remembrall seemed to vanish. "And what prompted you to follow Mr. Malfoy? You know he was just trying to rile you up."

     Harry shifted from one foot to the other. "I know sir, but he had the Remembrall and I wanted it back. It's important to Neville."

     "And it didn't occur to you that your parents could have bought another one?" No, Harry did not think of that. He had acted thoughtlessly and nearly got hurt because of it. His guilt grew tenfold.

     "I'm sorry, sir," Harry whispered, staring at his feet.

     "Your forgiveness will be dictated by your mother and father. I will be making a firecall to your parents later today," Snape said, standing up. Harry looked up quickly. His eyes widened.

     "Yes, I will be speaking to your mother," he remarked, seeing Harry's expression. Oh dear God. Oh God oh God. Harry was in huge trouble now. His dad and Uncle Padfoot would have been more proud than mad, but his mother...and Uncle Moony was staying with them that week for the full moon, so he would be home, too. That just doubled the punishment. No doubt Harry would be receiving a Howler later that night or tomorrow. Dread replaced guilt. 

     "Please, sir. I've learned my lesson. Please don't tell Mum," Harry pleaded. A shadow of a smirk appeared on Snape's face. It was gone just as quickly as it appeared."I am sorry, Mr. Potter, but it is protocol when their child does something this extreme." Harry hung his head.

     Snape opened the door and peered outside. "Mr. Flint, you can come in now. I wish to speak with you about something. Mr. Potter, flying lessons are almost over. Return to the common room for Introduction to Hogwarts."

     "Yes, sir," Harry said dejectedly. He dragged his feet all the way down to the lower dungeons. He flopped down on the black leather couch, putting a pillow over his head. He screamed, not out of anger or madness, but fear, the pillow muffling the sound. His mother was going to kill him. He just knew it. Why oh why did he have to follow Malfoy? He knew Malfoy was baiting him, and he fell for it completely. Now he was probably going to be grounded for all eternity and will never be able to play Quidditch. His only consolation was that Malfoy was getting in trouble as well.

     A tap on the window made him put the pillow down in confusion. What could be tapping on the glass? Certainly not an owl.The dungeons were underwater for Merlin's sake. He slipped off the couch and walked towards the window. Seaweed and schools of fish swan in front of him, and Harry put his face up against the cool glass to get a better look. He could never get over the beautiful view of under the Black Lake.

     A large tentacle came and tapped on the glass. Harry jumped back with a short cry. The Giant Squid's eye filled the window and seemed to wink at him. The tentacle returned and tapped again.

     "Stop that!" Harry said, clutching his heart. The squid nearly gave him a heart attack! The tapping continued.

     "Stop it! You're gonna break the glass!" He made shooing motions towards the Squid, but he didn't move.

     "He does that a lot," a voice behind him said. Harry spun around. Snape was walking in, his robes flapping around his ankles.

     "It amuses him. Let him be. He'll go away in a moment." Snape sat in one of the leather armchairs next to the fire. Harry sat in the one opposite. Snape didn't seem mad anymore which was a good thing. He didn't even seem to remember the "Uncle Sev" incident, which Harry was grateful.

     "So what did you talk to Flint about?" Harry asked, tucking his feet underneath him.

     "That is none of your concern." There was a tad bit of bite in his voice.

     "Oh. Sorry." Harry looked into the constantly burning fire.

     "Are you still going to tell my mum?" He asked a moment later. Snape let out a small bark of laughter which brought another sense of familiarity for Harry.

     "I am still going to tell her. You pleading will not stop me." The first year students came pouring in at that moment and cut their conversation short. They crowded around and Harry the Professor like children at story time, pushing each other and fighting for spots on the floor and couches. Malfoy sat as far away from Harry as possible, which suited him just fine. He didn't really want to see his ferret face anyway. Blaise came and sat down on the arm of Harry's chair.

     "You cant sit on the arms. It's against the rules," said a kid with large front teeth.

     "Where else do you want me to sit?" Blaise snapped. "On his lap?"

     Harry snickered and patted his leg jokingly. Blaise sat on his lap all proper with his legs folded and leaned against Harry. Harry put his arms around Blaise's waist and they made kissy faces at each other.

     "Never mind! Sit on the arm!" The kid said, blocking his eyes with his hands. Harry and Blaise laughed as Blaise got back on his original seat.

     "So are you in trouble?" Blaise whispered.

     "Oh, yeah. With my mum. She's going to be pissed. But I didn't lose any points for Slytherin, though, so that's good," Harry whispered back. Blaise nodded in agreement.

     Introduction to Hogwarts was just as boring as it sounded. It was sort of like story time in that children crowded around and adult, but that was where the similarities ended. Snape told the age-long tale of how Hogwarts was founded and the tales of the Founders.  He told of the bravery of Gryffindor, the charms of Slytherin, the honesty of Hufflepuff and the quick wits of Ravenclaw.

     Other students were listening with rapt attention, soaking up every detail. Harry was nearly asleep, drool dripping down his fist as he held his head up on the armchair. Blaise kept poking Harry every time he let out a little snore. It wasn't Harry's fault. He had heard these stories multiple times from his dad, and there was only so many times you could hear a story before you got tired of it.

     Finally, it was time for lunch. Harry quickly got up, nearly sending Blaise toppling to the floor. "Come on! I'm hungry!" Harry shoved Blaise out the door, the other skidding his feet on the slick tile.

     "Alright, alright! I'm coming!" Blaise laughed.


                                                                           *`*`*`*`
   

Neville laughed as Justin shoved him out the Hufflepuff common room. "I'm hungry! Hurry hurry hurry!"

     "Okay, okay. Jeez." Neville fell into step beside Justin and the other Hufflepuffs. Professor Sprout was walking in front of them, practically skipping down the corridor.

     "During lunch," she began, turning around to speak to them. She was still skipping, which Neville though was a bit impressive.

     "You will be able to go to other tables and meet other students. That's why its named "Meet and Greet"!" Neville rolled his eyes. He could have figured that out for himself. "You will abide by the other House's rules while sitting there. If you do not, you will lose points. It would be best for you to sit at every table at least once, but you do not have to. However long you stay is up to you."

     The doors to the Great Hall came to view, and Professor Sprout turned back around. "I hope you have a good time!" Inside, the Great Hall was chaos. Everyone was walking up and down tables, multiple plates balancing in hands and heads. Kids were running back and forth down the middle, waving and yelling at friends and siblings. Even the teachers looked terrified.

     Neville managed to spot Harry and Blaise through the swarming crowd and walked towards them, Justin on his heels. Ron and Hermione spotted Neville and walked beside him as well. The foursome plopped down at the Slytherin table, receiving glares from upper years and polite smiles from first years. Malfoy spotted them, sniffed in disdain, and moved as far away down the table as possible.

    "Hey, Neville!" Harry yelled over the noise, giving him a fist bump. "Hey Justin, Ron, and Hermione!" Blaise waved then tucked into his chicken.

     "So how's your arm feeling, Neville? Is it okay?" Harry asked, poking his arm. Neville laughed, pulling his arm away.

     "It's fine. Madam Pomfrey fixed it almost as soon as I got there. She's really good." Harry poked his arm again for good measure. Blaise took Harry's hand and put it by his side.

     "He said he was fine, Harry," Blaise laughed.

     "I know. I'm just messing with him."

     "So, Harry," Ron said, dumplings dripping off his fork, "What did Snape do to ya? You're still alive, but is there any lasting damage?"


     "What?" Neville asked. "What happened? What do you mean? Are you in trouble?" What did Harry manage to do while he was in the Hospital Wing? He always got into some kind of trouble.

     Harry sighed, looking a bit embarrassed. "Malfoy took your Remembrall and I flew up after him."

     "Don't put it like that, Harry! You nearly died!" Hermione chided, hitting him on the head with her book.

     "WHAT?" Neville gave Harry a shocked look. "What where you thinking? What did you do to nearly die?"

     Harry rubbed his head where Hermione had hit him. "I dove after your Remembrall after Malfoy dropped it and nearly hit the ground. But I pulled up before I did!" He added after Neville smacked him as well.

     "Ow! Is this gang up on Harry day?" Harry asked, rubbing his arm.

     "Yes," all five said at the same time and lightly hit him wherever they could reach him. Harry groaned.

     "You risked your life for my Remembrall?" Neville nearly shouted. "Mum and Dad could have just sent another one, you dunce!"

     "That's what Snape said."

     "Good. Listen to him." Neville smacked Harry's arm again.

     "So what did Snape do? Do you have detention?" Justin asked.

    "He didn't take any points or anything, but he did say he was going to tell mum."

     "Oooh." Neville's eyes widened. Their mum was like the devil in disguise when she was mad enough. She was the definition of scary. "You are really in for it."

     Harry nodded slowly, his eyes closed in despair. "I know." Dread filled his voice.

     Neville felt the back of his head burning, as if someone was staring at him, and looked up at the teacher's table. A man sitting next to Snape was staring straight at him and Harry. He had dark purple robes on and a red turban on his head. He was creeping Neville out a bit.

     "Hey, was he here yesterday at the feast?" Neville asked, poking Harry in the side and motioning towards the man.

     Harry squinted his eyes. "I don't think so. Who is he?"

     "That's Professor Quirrell," Hermione said. "He's the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He came in yesterday after dinner."

     "He's creepy," Justin said, and they all nodded in agreement. Trying his best to ignore Quirrell's stares, he piled food onto his plate and dug in.



                                                                                *`*`*`*`

     Lunch was Hell. Severus had already downed two Headache Relievers and it wasn't even done yet. He always hated the Meet and Greet lunches at the beginning of the year. It never failed to end in utter chaos and give all the teachers major headaches that never went away until around four o'clock in the morning, no matter how many potions they took. The only one that seemed immune to the headaches was Albus, as per usual.

     Quirrell was staring at Harry and Neville with a passion that made Severus uneasy. He was definitely up to no good. He was going to have to keep an eye on him.

      Finally, the bell for the students to go back to Dorm rang, and Severus pushed his chair back so quickly it nearly fell. Luckily, everyone was focused on their conversations and didn't notice. He nodded his head to Minerva as he passed and walked out of the Great Hall, students parting a path in front of him as he walked. Sometimes it paid to be feared.

     He walked to his office and shut the door. Finally, some quiet. He sat down in his chair and stretched, popping his back in the process. A tapping on his window drew his attention and he reluctantly got up from his comfy chair.

     "Hoo-hoo!" Apollo greeted as Severus opened his window. The black owl hopped onto Severus' shoulder and Severus scratched right on the top of his head. Apollo's eyes closed in bliss.

     "Do you have something for me, boy?" Severus asked. Apollo held out his leg with a letter attached. Severus undid the string and rolled out the parchment.

      Sev, it began. Definitely from Lily.

      Thank you so much for writing your letter. It's so good to hear from you again!It's been so long.

       Just as you predicted, James didn't take the news very well that Harry was in Slytherin, but he got over it soon enough. We are both so proud of our boys! Remus is very happy as well. The only one not in the same boat is Sirius, but I'll deal with him later.

     Severus rolled his eyes. Trust the mutt to make everything Slytherin bad even if it included his Godson.

      I have heard of Ms. Pomona and I agree with you. I feel she will lead Neville down the right path and treat him right. James wonders if you will do the same, but I am confident you will. I trust you completely, Sev.

     I do feel conflicted about him being friends with the Zabini boy. Hopefully his father won't be the better influence. I trust you will keep an eye on the boy. I am glad he has found a friend, but I do not want Harry associating with the wrong crowd. Hopefully you will make a decision and step in if it starts getting bad.

    I will keep you to your promise. Please inform me when something else happens.

          Love,
                    -Lily P.



     Severus rolled the letter up. Short and to the point, just what he expected from Lily. He set the letter on the table and Apollo flew from his shoulder to his perch.

     He sat back down at his desk and took out his quill.

     Lily, he began writing a reply. He stopped, not sure what exactly to write. Black ink dripped from his quill and splatters littered the parchment. He balled up the paper and threw it in the bin. This was better face-to-face than in a letter. He got up and grabbed his cup of Floo powder from the shelf and threw it in.

     "Potter's residence!" The flames flashed green and Severus poked his head through.

     Lily was sitting at the kitchen table, writing out bills. A pot of something was boiling on the kitchen stove.

     "Lily," he said. Lily jumped and put her hand over her heart.

     "Sev! You scared me!" Severus chuckled a bit evilly.

     She motioned patted the chair beside her. "Come on through."

     "Your husband isn't home?" No doubt James would try and beat him to a bloody pulp if he saw him in his home with his wife.

    Lily shook her head. "He and Sirius are at work."

    Severus took his head out of the flames and stood up.

    "I'll be back shortly, Apollo," he said to his owl. Apollo opened one eye and hooted

     He stepped through the fireplace, dusting off soot and grime from his robes. Lily got up and hugged him and he hugged her back. They swayed back and forth a bit like they used to do when they were younger. She drew away, her hands still on his arms.

     "It's so good to see you again!" She smiled and the entire room seemed to brighten. 

     Severus couldn't help but smile back. "You too, Lils." He held out the chair for her to sit in. She fake curtsied, pretending to hold the edges of a dress out.

     "Thank you, darling," she said in an exaggerated snobby voice. She sat down, folding her legs and swishing her hair over her shoulder and he pushed in her chair.

     "You are quite welcome, dear," he replied in an equally exaggerated voice. She giggled and he beamed. It was just like old times. He sat down next to her. She finished up the bill that she was writing and turned to face him. Their knees touched.

     "I can't believe you're here again!" she squealed.

     "I know! But you know why I had to leave," he said a bit sadly. She nodded solemnly. "Damn Malfoy."

     "Indeed." Severus nodded. "What are you making?" he asked, pointing his chin towards the pot.

     "Baked ziti."

     "Ooh! That sounds good." Lily punched him lightly on the arm. He pretended to be hurt by rubbing it where she hit.

     "You know I can't cook that well. This is basically the only thing I can make, and even then its not all that great."

     Severus scoffed and rolled his eyes. "And yet you are a prodigy at potions. Besides, you can out-cook Molly Weasley any day," he said. She gave him a deadpan stare.

     "Now you're pushing it." Severus snickered.

     "Here," he got up an walked to the pot. He picked up the recipe off the counter."I'll help. What steps have you done?"

     "Only the first. I just started bringing it to a boil when you popped your head in." He hummed in acknowledgement. He began rummaging through the cabinets for the rest of the ingredients.

     "Where is your ziti pasta?" he asked, poking his head into the fist cabinet.

     "On your left." He grabbed the pasta along with the jars of spaghetti sauce. He went to the fridge and got the onions, cheeses, meat, and cup of sour cream and dumped all the ingredients on the counter. He stopped an onion from rolling off and falling onto the floor. He picked up two knives.

     "Come help me chop." He held out the other knife handle-first to her and together they chopped up the onions and sliced the provolone cheese.

     "You added salt to the water, right?"

     "Yes. I can read directions you know."

     He got out a skillet and added meat and the sauce and it began to simmer. After the water came to a full boil, he added the pasta.

     "Now, we wait," he said as he turned the knob on the oven and began to preheat.

     Severus sat on top of the table and Lily sat beside him.

     "So what did you come here for?" she asked. "I know it wasn't to help me cook ziti pasta."

     He had completely forgotten the entire reason why he came. He had gotten so distracted with cooking that it slipped his mind.

     "Oh! Right!" He smiled apologetically. "I came because-"

     "I hear a conversation. Who do you have in your kitchen, Lily?" Remus Lupin came walking through the kitchen door, hands in his pockets.

     "Something smells good!" He stopped when he saw Severus.

     "Oh. Hello, Severus," he said with a bit of forced politeness.

     "Lupin."

     "What are you doing?"

     "I'm helping her cook."

     "Ah. It's uh, been a while since you've been here. Nearly seven years, to be exact." Lupin scratched the back of his head awkwardly.

     "Yes, I know how long I've been absent." Severus stared at Lupin and Lupin stared back. Neither said anything. Severus gently swung his legs back and forth.

     "Anyway, Severus, what were you saying?" Lily put her hand on his shoulder, drawing his attention from Lupin to her. Lupin got his cue and left, whistling out the front door, hands still firmly shoved in his patched up jean pockets.

     Severus cleared his throat. "Anyway, the reason I came here is because your son Harry managed to get himself in a bit of trouble."

     Lily rolled her eyes and groaned. "It's only the second day! What did he do?"

     "Well, it was certainly provoked, I'll tell you that, so It's not completely Harry's fault. Neville had fallen off his broom during flying lessons and broke his arm. From what Harry and Minerva have relayed to me, Neville dropped his Remembrall and Malfoy picked it up and began taunting Harry with it while flying up."

     "Of course it would be Malfoy," Lily grumbled. "What happened next?"

     "Harry went after him, despite his teacher's warning to stay down. Malfoy threw Neville's Remembrall towards the ground and Harry dove down to catch it, nearly hitting the ground himself. If he hadn't of pulled up when he did, he would have hit the ground from about fifty feet up or higher going full speed."

     "Oh Merlin! That boy I swear! He's going to be grounded until he's graduated!" Lily grabbed fistfuls of her hair and pulled. Severus gently took her hands and untangled them.

     "Lily..." Severus had a warning tone in his voice.

     Lily sighed. "Yeah, yeah, I know. I really need to control my anger." She got up and began working on the food again, stirring the pasta in the pot rapidly. Severus stood back a bit but kept his eye on her as she cooked.

     The Floo roared to life from the living room. "Honey, I'm hoooome!" The voice of James Potter greeted.

     "Something smells fuckin' fantastic! Lily, have you been experimenting from cook books again?"

Sirius Black waltzed through the door and stopped when he saw Severus. Severus got an odd sense of déjà vu.

     "Snivvelus." Black sneered.

     "Black." James took that moment to walk in and stop as well.
    
     "Sniv."

     "Potter."

     "Lily, why is Snivvy in our kitchen with you? Alone?" James took out his wand and took a step forward. Lily groaned, massaging her forehead.  "James, I really don't need this right now....you know Severus would never...."

     "Tell me Lils, or else I'm going to hex his balls off," James growled. Severus put his hands up, palms facing outward.

     "I am not here for that, James," Severus began, trying to keep his voice neutral. "I would never take your wife from you. She is like a sister to me, nothing more."

     "Waoh. What's going on?" Remus stood in the doorway, a look of confusion on his face. James didn't seem to notice him, still pointing his wand at Severus.

     "Then what are you here for?" Sirius snarled. His Animagus form flickered over his human form, and a low growl erupted from his chest. Lily looked like she was about to explode.

     "Sirius, please." Remus grabbed Sirius by the arm and began to drag him away before he could fully transform. "Let's go. I think this is between Severus and them."

     "I'm not leaving until I know why he's here! He left! Why is he back?"

     "I'm sure it's for a good reason. Now come on. I think I saw old man Alpheus outside. Why don't you have a talk with him? You haven't spoken to each other for a while..." He dragged Sirius out the door, who was still struggling to get free.

     James watched them go then turned back to Severus. "If you are not here for "that", then why are you here? You know what we talked about seven years ago. Why have you come back?"

     "It is for school reasons.That is all. As Harry and Neville's teacher and your advisor, it is up to me to update you on the things happening with your sons at school." Severus slowly put his hands down as James put his wand away.

     "What's happening?"

     Severus opened his mouth to answer but Lily beat him to it.

     "Our son Harry did a death dive on his broom to catch a damn glass ball!" Lily shouted, stirring the pasta even more firmly.

     "Lily, I think you've murdered the pasta now..." Severus said, peering into the pot. Yep. Definitely gone.

     "What? That's awesome! How high up was he?" James' eyes sparkled behind his large glasses.

     "No, James! It is not awesome! Harry could have died!" She turned to face him, her hair flying around her face.

     "But he didn't! And he caught the ball? He's a little Quidditch star already! Is it possible for him to join the team?" James turned to Severus.

     "The notion has been brought to my attention..."

     "James! Listen to me! Harry is not going to be playing Quidditch! What he did was a very bad thing!" They were in each other's face now, yelling at the top of their lungs.

     "I'll just...be going now..." Severus slowly inched towards the fireplace, careful not to bring much attention to himself.

     "Bye! Thanks for coming!" Lily said-screamed, really-, not all pleasantly. She turned back to James. He quickly speed walked the rest of the way to the living room and Floo'ed back to his rooms.

     Well that....certainly did not go the way he planned. If James and Sirius hadn't of shown up, he could have been in and out in a flash and could have avoided being in the middle of that fight. He walked to his rooms and changed out of his teaching robes, putting on something more comfortable. He put on black pajama pants and a blue t-shirt with the words "I'm not sarcastic, I just hate everybody" on it.

     He pet Apollo on the head and fed him owl treats until the owl flew away. He flopped ungracefully down in his wingback chair and leaned his head back. Oh, he just wanted to sleep, and it wasn't even dinner yet. He looked at his clock. It was only 3:30. He groaned and closed his eyes. He wasn't required to go to dinner anyway. He could go to sleep early....

     The Floo coming to life woke him up an hour later. He sat up, confused. Nobody except Albus or Minerva could access his Floo without his permission. He looked up. James Potter, still in his Auror robes from earlier, stood on his rug, dusting off soot onto the floor.

     James looked at him. "Nice shirt," he commented. Severus ignored it.

     "What are you doing here? Nobody can access my rooms without my permission!"

     James looked pleased with himself. "I have my ways. Auror ways, but still ways." He smiled cheekily. "Anywho, Lily told me the whole story, and that's why I'm here."

     Damn Ministry admissions. Severus arched an eyebrow. "Go on."

     "You made a comment about the notion that Harry could possibly be on the Quidditch team, even though he's a first year..."

     "James, you know Lily wouldn't allow it."

     "I'm Harry's parent, too and I have a say in what Harry can do and not do, and I want him to play Quidditch. He could be a reserve for all I care, just as long as he gets a chance to be on the field."
    
     Severus was surprised. He would have though James would have balked at the idea of Harry playing for the Slytherin team.

     "Even though he's playing for Slytherin?"

     James sighed. "I honestly do not care what team Harry plays for. I just want him to be happy. He has this amazing opportunity that nobody else has, and I don't want him to miss out on something like this. He is amazing at Quidditch and I know he'll be a great asset for Slytherin."

     So Lily finally got to his thick head that not all Slytherin was bad. Good. "If you're so sure..."

     "I am. Now, is there some sort of form or something I can fill out?"

     Severus cleared his throat. "I will have to talk to Harry first to see how he feels about all of this then I'll send you a form to sign. His academic life is also in question. What if Harry cannot juggle Quidditch and his class work? There is a reason why first years are not allowed to play."

     "I'll deal with the consequences if any arise. You can take Harry off the team until he gets his grades up."

     Severus nodded. "There is also the possibility that he won't even make the reserve slot when he tries out. It all comes down to the Captain."

     "Well then, there wouldn't really be anything to worry about then if that happened, would there?" James pointed out, hands on his hips.

     "No, I suppose not." Severus scratched his chin, picking at the small hairs that were there. "I will talk to Harry and send you a form if he agrees. I'll disguise my handwriting, so watch out for that."

     James grinned. "Thank you Sniv-er, Severus. This means a lot."

     "You are welcome. Although Lily will murder both of us if she finds out."

     James waved away the notion. "I wouldn't sweat it. She may seem angry now, but she'll get over it." 

      "Somehow I highly doubt that," he mumbled. James grabbed the Floo powder. "Oh, and James?" Severus cut in before he could leave. "I neglected to tell Lily this simply because it slipped my mind at the time, but Harry called me 'Uncle Sev' yesterday."

     James froze, hand still poised to throw.  "But that means..."

     "Yes, I know. Do you want me to do anything about it?"

     James thought for a moment. "No. Just leave him like he is. If anything else happens, I'll see what we can do. Has Neville said anything?"

     "I do not think anything has happened to him, but if anything arises, I'll let you know."

     "Good. Keep me informed."

     "I will."    

Chapter End Notes:
OOOh, Cliffhanger. I'm so evil! Lol. Thank you so much for reading. I know these chapters are long, but I wanted o go ahead and try to put as much as I can into these chapters, seeing as it is going to be years 1-7 and all. I don't want this to be a million chapter story. As much as I love writing this story, I do have other stories to work on, including Wings of Sun. Also, I realized I said before that I am going to update every Sunday, but now its more like every other Sunday, or weekend in general. The chapters are so long, and I dont have a lot of time to write them, with school still in session and with living in Texas right now (All the flooding). Plus, I posted this story before I was really ready. I only had three chapters written, instead of the whole first year like I planned! But I will try and update as quickly as possible, on both stories, and I am sorry if it takes a while.